Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking

Guest luckyrabbit

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I'm working on it right now, here's a tiny teaser for the next chapter :D :

"It's quiet." Tracey observed, pulling the car up outside the address Fitzgerald had dug up for Madge Wilkins.

"Too quiet." Eve said. "No dogs barking, no birds going off their heads. Do you think it's strange that no one has any pets in this town?" She asked as Tracey unlocked the gate and they made their way up the garden path.

"It's a little weird." Tracey conceded.

"As if we need any more proof that this town is evil."

"Don't be so dramatic."

"Me? Dramatic?" Eve gasped, putting a hand over her heart. "I'm not being dramatic. With all the sh*t that goes down in this town, I don't get why anyone would want to stay." She said as Tracey knocked on the door.

The door opened to reveal a small, old lady with…was her hair light pink? Definitely not Stuart Wilkins. "Can I help you?"

PART 10

"It's quiet." Tracey observed, pulling up outside the address Fitzgerald had dug up for Madge Wilkins.

"Too quiet." Eve said. "No dogs barking, no birds going off their heads. Do you think it's strange that no one has any pets in this town?" She asked as Tracey unlocked the gate and they made their way up the garden path.

"It's a little weird." Tracey conceded.

"As if we need any more proof that this town is evil."

"Don't be so dramatic."

"Me? Dramatic?" Eve gasped, putting a hand over her heart. "I'm not being dramatic. With all the sh*t that goes down in this town, I don't get why anyone would want to stay." She said as Tracey knocked on the door.

The door opened to reveal a small, old lady with…was her hair light pink? Definitely not Stuart Wilkins. "Can I help you?"

"Hi, is Stuart home?" Eve and Tracey said in unison.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry dears, but Stuart isn't home at the moment." Madge replied sweetly. "He works so hard, driving all over the countryside for days on end, I get dreadfully worried that he'll have an accident."

"Driving?" Tracey asked.

"He's a courier." Madge raised her glasses to her face and peered at Eve. "You look awfully familiar dear, have we met before?"

"I don't think so, I get that a lot."

"Oh, sorry. Well Stewie won't be home for a couple of days I'm afraid. Would you like to leave a message?"

Tracey looked at Eve for instruction, she subtly shook her head. "No, that's okay. We'll come back another time."

"Well, alright dears. Good afternoon then." Madge smiled, closing the door.

Eve looked at Tracey. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"He's a drug courier?"

"Yep."

"I mean there's a madman out there, ready to strike at any moment, and they want to talk about Madge Wilkins!" Colleen prattled on to anyone in earshot.

"Oh, Colleen!" Irene forced out, slamming her knife down into the cutting board. "Will you give it a rest? You're driving me flipping cracked!"

Colleen huffed and threw down her apron in preparation for a dramatic exit . "Well, I know when I'm not wanted."

"Colleen…" But it was too late Colleen was already out the door.

"Bloody woman!" Irene growled, picking up the orders that Colleen had been supposed to take out to the waiting customers.

Dropping off the last of the backlogged orders, Irene noticed Belle sitting in a booth, stirring her straw in her milkshake and glaring sullenly at a giggling Ric and Cassie.

"Belle, love, you're going to have to let it go eventually." She sighed, standing so she blocked Belle's view of the happy couple. "If he doesn't want you then he's not worth having." She continued when Belle frowned at her.

"That's not what Amanda says."

"Well I don't give a flying fig what that woman has to say."

"That woman is my mother." Belle reminded her pointedly. "And Ric does want me, he just needs me to make him see it that's all."

"Belle." Irene warned. "I don't want you coming up with any more half baked ideas. You hear me, girly?"

Belle looked at her blankly. "No more half baked ideas." She promised. No, what she was planning certainly wouldn't be half baked.

"Let's see, we can have lunch at the Diner or the bar. This town has so much to offer." Eve remarked to Tracey as they entered the police station.

"Your lunch plans are going to have to wait." Fitzgerald said urgently, hanging up the phone and grabbing her hat. "There's a fire at the caravan park."

Eve groaned and turned on her heel. "It never ends!" She shouted, throwing her hands up in the air dramatically.

"Hello there love." Irene greeted Alf.

"Irene, do you know if Macca's in?"

"I seen him go out but I haven't heard him moving around up there either." Irene informed him, handing a customer their change. "He might be still in bed."

"If he is I'll kick his flaming backside." Alf said gruffly. "He was supposed to meet me at the Surf Club over an hour ago." He charged up the stairs to the flat above the Diner. His fist had barely touched the door when it started to swing open. It obviously hadn't been closed properly. "What in the world?"

"Macca?" Alf called cautiously, entering the flat. He rounded the sofa to find Macca. Or rather Macca's corpse, laying in a pool of coagulated blood, his skin a sickly shade of pale blue and his eyes wide open, fixed on nothing in particular. "Strike me flaming handsome!"

Next time on Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking: A fire, a murder investigation and an misguided scheme! Oh my!

So that's two down, how many more to go?

Archived