Youth's beach challenge

Guest Andy

Youth's beach challenge

Sunday Telegraph

4 June 2006

THE next generation of schoolchildren are being targeted in a campaign to clean up Australia's beaches.

Home and Away's Sharni Vinson yesterday launched a national competition for five to 25-year-olds at Bondi.

Vinson braved blustery weather to join from North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club Nippers to pick up litter and promote clean beaches.

"The program is about awareness for people under 25, so that the next generation grow up with the knowledge of how important it is to look after the beach environment," she said.

Vinson, 22, who grew up at Cronulla Beach, encouraged young people to enter the Clean Beach Challenge Youth groups can enter the competition before July 21.

In Wales they make young offenders clean the beaches up, i think it is a fantastic thing. As it teaches them to respect our environment. I have spent a few days down my local beach in the last week, and there was no litter left at all from people. So it looks like people are begining to take responsibility for their own actions.

Archived