First Night Nerves: Kate At The Logies.

Guest Frankie

First night nerves for a small screen veteran

By Rachel Browne and Glynis Traill-Nash

Sydney Morning Herald

May 7, 2006

ritchie7506narrowweb300x44804w.jpg

LADY IN RED: Kate Ritchie, pictured in an Alex Perry gown, is a first-time Logie nominee this year.

Photo: Fiona-Lee Quimby

SHE may be a small-screen veteran with almost 20 years in the business behind her but Home And Away's Kate Ritchie admits to having a terrible case of first-night nerves for tonight's Logie Awards.

Despite having starred on Channel Seven's popular soap since 1988, Ritchie has never been nominated for a Logie. And now she has been nominated in both gold and silver categories.

"To be honest, I am relieved more than anything because now people will finally stop asking, 'Why haven't you ever been nominated for a Logie?'," she said.

Ritchie, 27, will compete for the gold Logie against friends and cast mates Ada Nicodemou and Bec Hewitt, Blue Heelers star John Wood, Neighbours' Natalie Bassingthwaighte, McLeod's Daughters' Bridie Carter, talk show host Rove McManus and Bert Newton.

The category was expanded to eight nominees this year. However, only three contenders - Ritchie, Nicodemou and McManus - have been nominated for shows they are still working on.

Ritchie doesn't like to rate her chances of taking out the gold, but she is pleased to be nominated alongside Hewitt and Nicodemou.

The three are firm friends; Nicodemou and Ritchie were bridesmaids at Hewitt's wedding. Just as she did then, Ritchie will wear a gown by Sydney designer and perennial red-carpet favourite Alex Perry to the Logies. The only problem is she hasn't decided which one.

Perry has long waved the flag on Logies night, but even he admits that with 10 gowns on show, he's dressing more women than ever. He will dress Kimberley Davies, Catriona Rowntree and Jackie O, among others.

The phones rang hot after Mercedes Australian Fashion Week with celebrities wanting to borrow dresses for the big night.

Lisa Ho will be dressing at least four girls, including Laura Csortan, and Matthew Eager will be dressing two. Other local names likely to be on show are Toni Maticevski, dressing Home And Away's Jodi Gordon, and Jayson Brunsdon, for whom Lara Bingle is expected to do a quick change between two dresses. Other hot tips include Leona Edmiston, Willow and Gwendolynne.

But leave it to Kerrie-Anne Kennerley to create a literal starburst: she is reportedly accessorising her Bora gown with about $400,000 worth of diamonds from Nic Cerrone, a Swarovski-crystal handbag and a diamond-encrusted mobile phone from UK brand Vertu - worth a staggering $54,000.

"If there's a day you can wear a lot of bling, other than Christmas, it's the Logies," Kennerley said.

Go Kate! As someone who has watched H&A since Episode 1, this is a long overdue recognition of one of the most talented actors on all of television!

Thanks to everyone in Australia who voted for Kate - I'm sure all her fans in the UK and elsewhere are delighted for her.

I voted for Kate for both awards! So happy she won one. She was so happy and teary. In a backstage video she actually has a little cry and says, I tried to hold it together up there. I would have loved to see her win Gold but glad John finally did, maybe out of sympathy though. There is always next year. I wanted Joel to win Actor as I voted for him too.

Archived