More Questions Than Answers

Guest WYN100

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quality couple of chapters. You're an amazing writer the way you keep track of so many different storylines and keep me waiting for more, I'm really impressed. I love the way everything is a cliffhanger too, the suspense just about kills me! Seriously good stuff, please update soon.xx

** Just wanted to say thanks so much for the awesome comments - it's great to think anybody would enjoy it at all ! :) - gulps - lot to live up to now though ! :o lol - thanks again , I really appreciate it !!**

**PART 23**

The time had melted away comfortably and naturally for Scott and Danni since beginning their stroll along the beach en route for the diner and the banana smoothie pick-me-up she'd suggested for him . To the continued quick-pumping excitement (mainly) and triumph (partly) of her heart the hand he'd originally proffered merely to help her up from the sand some time back had shown no inclination to pull free as they'd sauntered easily along, giggling as she'd recalled their first direct encounter just a few feet away from that very spot.

The Man with the White Horse as she'd first dubbed him had emerged from a sea mist, flicked by the ocean spray and riding with a high, majestic air, appearing for all the world to be - as she'd said then - to be a hero from an epic movie of some kind. He smiled modestly on remembering the compliment, then feigned quickly into a mock tickle-attack as she'd added "..and how wrong can a girl be, eh ?" She squealed in protest and dodged away - there was unquestionably an ambiance between them that both recalled the past and coloured the present - as the day developed it was undoubtedly one they were both enjoying. They were almost at the diner by now , Danni's rosy outlook extending as she paused at a kerbside flower stall being run by a smiling middle-aged lady with ruddy complexion from whom she swept up a bunch of yellow and pink carnations - "ooh these would be PERFECT for Kirsty " she beamed ". I don't get to see her anything like enough these days, and I know she's got lots of stuff on her mind right now, " Scott smiled as the lady carefully wrapped the bunch and they headed inside. Again conversation was free and mostly uninhibited between them - to an informed observer it would have appeared as if Stafford McRae had never existed..

Scott drained his smoothie to the last available dreg, manfully resisting the temptation that few can to make the straw an exploration tube to suck around further in case any choice drop remained undiscovered, instead sitting back with a sigh of real contentment - "I really needed this Dan, I don't mind telling you.!"

"Good,"she replied simply, slipping down from the far alcove seat where they were perched to head for the ladies . "Ooops.." as she narrowly avoided trading on the carnations , " can you hold these a sec - and Mister - NO arguments, I'M paying !!" He made a shrug of mock surrender, propped the flowers in his lap and reflected on how much he'd enjoyed the last couple of hours. The next few however promised a little more turbulence. Hearing a "Hey you .." at his shoulder, he turned his heat to see a smiling Hayley craning her neck round the seat and saying "Fancy seeing y...." followed rapidly by "Oh Scott, they're LOVELY, fancy you...." As his mouth felt and temporarily looked like that of a goldfish, his falsely awarded brownie points were quickly scattered to the winds as Hayley absorbed the sight of Danni heading back to the seat, an interested smile on her face. Looking slowly from her to the flowers and back Hayley began nodding, saying "oh how VERY cosy -you mean these - for HER..!?" before swinging disdainfully onto her heel and sweeping straight for the door. Scott's tongue finally threw off its temporary paralysis "Haylz..WAIT "...I.."

"Don't bother Scott...ever !!" was the only response hurled back over her shoulder before she disappeared. Danni composed her expression into one of suitable bewilderment for Scott's benefit .... but inside she was smiling...Part TWO of the plan accomplished.... and she'd barely had to lift a finger.....

Beth's mind was still in high velocity rotation as she let herself in through the kitchen door and dropped her bag on the nearby table. It had without doubt been a gruelling 10-12 , however many hours.. she really couldn't calculate. She'd just been to see Matty at the hospital where she and Lucas appeared already to be acting out a remake of "Love Story" by text message when the Matron's back was turned. So now it was time for HER she'd decided. Back home to some tea, some trash television and most importantly some.."Hello Beth,,"...

The greeting, though softly spoken, was enough to send her heart hurtling upwards and outwards through an unsuspecting rib cage like a jump jet scrambled unexpectedly into immediate attack mode. "What the...HOW the hell did you get in here ?? " Jed Baxter had been sitting patiently in the near armchair awaiting her return, but he now arose with genuine concern on his face - "Beth I'm TRULY sorry to startle you - it was that nice lady Mrs um..ah..oh shoot, I forget the name, anyway she..."

Beth nodded ruefully - she'd been extremely uncertain about the moment of weakness where she'd allowed Colleen to persuade her to enlist Madge Wilkins as a cleaner two mornings a week - and this was the proof she'd been RIGHT she decided. Her doubts had grown with the fact that Colleen was now dropping round almost non-stop to check and pass faintly critical comment on her friend's handiwork - but THIS was a different League altogether. She flinched and turned away as Jed placed a concerned hand on her shoulder - finding herself once again wholly unable to look him in the eye.

"Jed I don't know what it is you're after but I've told you already -whatever it is you THINK is the case about Robbie you're so far off the page you're not even adjacent, so why don't you just turn right round and head back to wherever it is you've come from ?"

"Please don't be annoyed with Mrs Wilkins Beth, I did as you might say rather PUSH the issue, but believe me I wouldn't have done that if I didn't sincerely believe we had something very important to discuss - -and you were getting rather creative in your ways of giving me the brush-off, you do have to admit !!"

The square setting of Beth's jaw indicated her position wasn't about to become negotiable."Jed whatever there MAY have been between us is like an old holiday label peeling off a suitcase - you can hardly remember actually even going there. let alone WHY you did !"

His even, earnest gaze didn't shift once under her seeming volley of scorn."Beth, I know exactly what you think about my take on the Robbie situation, even though I'm one hundred per cent certain I'm correct. And that's why I'm here. What I'm wanting to discuss with you could potentially havc some serious implications for Robbie - dont you think he deserves to be able to hear about it ?"

Before she was able to re-marshal her forces to reply woyj what seemed another indignant negative, both were shocked to hear a third voice - bell-clear and precise enter the battleground.

"Yes, go on Beth, doesn't Robbie deserve to hear about it ??"

Their heads swivelled at once to where - having slipped unnoticed through the door left unlocked by Beth- now stood an ominous-faced Tasha.....

Peter had made a series of sharp, urgent phone calls once Sheperd had finally drifted away with another infuriatingly supercilious sneer as if to underline the all-round grip he clearly felt he possessed on the situation.

His instinctively sceptical detective's brain first led to him contacting the hospital matron, who during a frosty five minute audience curtly confirmed the general nub of the bookie's comments, all underpinned with the same warning of immediate proceedings against Claire "...if that should be where poor Mr Sheperd's grief leads him."

Peter bit back hard on his favoured response that poor Mr Sheperd's grief had already led him into threatened blackmail of two police officers and attempting to compromise the strict protocol of the Australian Gaming , Betting and Bookmaking Act 1996 - not something the medical matriarch needed to hear at this PRECISE moment, he though dryly. Next he called the Gaming Board itself to familiarize himself with some fine detail, fending off increasingly regular questions from Claire to assure her he did have a plan developing. It was close to being edge of the seat stuff for her as he made the third and potentially most crucial call - to the local council's Licensing Department. Hearing just one side of a telephone call in which one has a definite interest can be every bit as tormenting as the most unscratchable itch, so it was a Claire ravenous for updating that hi-jacked her work and life partner before the phone had re-settled in its stand. He explained - she listened with a widening smile of approval.....and so they found themselves in the public seats at the local magistrates' sitting within an hour or two. Peter had pulled some strings to bring forward the consideration of Sheperd's licence application, and as there was no legal obligation for the applicant to be present, it seemed an ideal opportunity to bypass the bookie's threat on Peter to exert a supporting influence on the plans. Indeed - it wasn't going well for Sheperd. Some questions had been raised anout tax irregularities in his previous enterprises, and residents close to where he planned to set up had lodged some quite vocal objections. Claire could even venture a cautious half-smile at Peter as the lead lady magistrate said "Well, I think we can move to a vote on this one - has anybody anything left to say ?"

Peter was forming a retrurn smile towards Claire when both their faces froze and blood in their veins assumed a distinctly chilly quality - at the sound o behind them of a familiar voice bisecting the dry, thin air of the small courtroom annexe.

"I think Detective Baker may have something to say on this one Ma'am ?"

Dudley Sheperd had slipped in noiselessly behind them during the proceedings......

Leah had fallen into a deep, fretful slumber after the conversation with Doctor Green. Punctuated with visions of VJ dressed in a bizarre selection of psychedelic colours - his arms out calling for his mother as she sat crazily defacing a billboard sized film poster declaring " AMANDA VALE - HOME WRECKER !! - this summer's must-see movie !!" , in which the aforementioned star sat simpering high in the cabin of a demolition crane, its metal ball swinging crazily from side to side over the brick and dust ruins of a demolished apartment. The "Dream-Leah" continued the assault with the purple marker before suddenly seeing it shoot from her hand - as she gradually became aware her "Real Leah" right handwas being gently jogged by Rachel , forcing her through the usual inevitable cloud of semi-sleep and semi-reality back into real life - "What... Rachh,,, VJ ! Oh my Lord, is he alright, is he alright ??"

"Leah, it's not VJ, don't worry, he's hanging in there, honestly, but,," lowering his voice.."I overheard some of your conversation with Doctor Green earlier - I hope you don't mind - but I thought you'd be interested to know Amanda regained consciousness about two hours ago..."

"What,,!"

"But play it low-key, I think she..."

The notice Leah was likely to take of that entreaty could be measured by the fact she was already nine-tenths of the way down the pasasage to the ward where Amanda was being treated. She swivelled at the door, and her inner wrath on entering was hardly placated by the sight of a smiling Dan alongside the bed turning his head and saying "Look Leah ! ...isn;t it marvellous - she's come round !" Leah breathed deeply and decided he would keep till later. She knew there was every likelihood of Amanda turning in an Oscar-candidate performance as the injured martyr, but that wasn't going to wash with her.

Beginning icily "I'm so sorry to interrupt this happy scene - but YOU , lady have got some extremely serious questions to answer..!" But, as Amanda began to assume her default expression of wounded outrage to answer any accusation levelled at her ranging from finishing the cornflakes to first degree murder, all three of their attentions were wrestled away by a high volume intervention from the corridor at least two stretchers were whisked past the door at significant speed, the rear brought up both by a paramedic and a policeman speaking urgently into a walkie-talkie - and it was his message that hung heaviest in the air "Yes, collision Bay Front Drive - 2 locals , 2 unknown , 1 police officer ...patrol car wrecked- don't know exactly yet - one severely injured, one dead on arrival......" Leah, Dan and Amanda exchanged looks of stunned anxiety - - - Jack Holden lived very close to Bay Front Drive.....

**PART 24**

Alf Stewart wasn't remotely used to being a peripheral figure in any conversation that involved him. If he was there it was usually a case of "Stewart A." placing his opinion cards on the table - and if others agreed with him, all well and good . If they didn't, they must "have flamin' rocks in their heads " and the Stewart hands were generally washed on the situation there and then.

All of which made it little short of incredible that a heated debate could simmer , catch light and boil over in his living room, about his diner building and with very little of HIS actual input. That had been due to the two participants "'Angry' Alex Poulos - young. energetic, local-born, can be overexcitable and punches miss target " plus " 'Principal' Paris Burnett - more experienced, precise - but less is known of this out-of-towner - does he have the killer punch hidden away for when needed ?"

The confrontation had developed speedily. An outraged Alex, after accusing the strangely dumbstruck Alf of the greatest act of treachery since Brutus or Judas Iscariot, turned his fire on Paris who in his defence had been given no inkling at all by Alf of the Alex/Brodie interest. But that cut no ice with the outraged Mr Poulos.

"I fly all the way back here after we've verbally agreed the price and what do I find, MATE ? That you've sold me down the swannee to,," - jabbing an indignant thumb at Paris - but not looking at him, " the likes of HIM !"The semi-sidelined Alf weighed in with a brief but characteristic volley of self-defence.

"Stone the flamin' crows, I've rung your phone more than a church bell in an air-raid, this last day or so , don't you ever answer the flamin' thing ?!" Bt Alex wasn't to be deflected . "We agreed 210k , right Alf ? How much as he stomped in with precisely ?"

"I can't just tell you..."

"Don't worry Alf, " Paris replied demurely , "I don't have a problem letting this ah - gentleman - know the state of play - Mr Stewart and I have shaken hands on 250 thousand dollars." Alex should at that point have taken a large step backwards - even the initial offer had stretched the financial breathing space of himself and Brodie to shattering point, but in such moments, judgement red mist and he were the best of friends.

"Alf, I'll give you 260"

Brodie's gasp of horror wasn't even partially strangled, but the exit of colour from her face was about to reach Grand Prix speed levels. Paris was saying, "look Alf, I'm sure 275 would be no prob..."

It was as if in a nightmare Brodie heard the voice of Alex saying "Three hundred..." - but this was no nightmare. He'd effectively committed them to almost 50 per cent above their spendability and as her own self-preservation instincts belatedly kicked in, the aspiring extravagant playboy found himself dragged out summarily onto the landing outside. "Alex what the HELL do you think you're doing ? Five more minutes in there and we'd both be filing for bankruptcy - it's not WORTH it !!" Her other half - jaw set, eyes staring- was about to launch a predictably heated and flimsy defence of his actions when Paris emerged through the semi-open door and paused alongside them. They both noticed there was an unfamiliar hard edge to his normally silky tones and approach.,

"I'd take very good heed of what she says Mr Poulos - for you, it ISN'T worth it - this is an issue I WILL win -and if you keep trying to be an obstacle you'll be entering places that'll leave you worse off in a LOT of ways - I'd think about that extremely carefully if I was you." He continued onwards down the stairs, leaving his two property rivals stunned and gaping....

Kirsty had eased herself up slowly from the office floor to see a trio of chivalrous male hands outstretched to assist her - but as the internal shockwaves from the fall began to calm, there was one she focused on with amazement and genuine incredulity. The man who'd opened the door and caused her to pitch in head first she DIDN'T know, a smiling Dylan Russell was of course the reason she'd come there in the first place, but the other...!

She say herself down in a chair that had been proffered by Dylan, and, partly pre-empting the questions she knew were certain to come her way and partly through genuine desire to get an answer, fixed the object of her bewilderment with an intent gaze and demanded ,

"SO - Nick Smith !!! What in the name of heck are YOU doing here ?"

He smiled , shot an inquiring look at Dylan, whose almost imperceptible nod of reply was still picked up by Kirsty, and replied "Hey Kirst, long time no see !" There was no doubt that this was a different, more rounded, Millennium Model Nick than the one who'd left the Bay in nervous excitement after the ill-fated stay in The Dorm for his first crack at the film world. His previous uniform of sweatshirt and jeans had been replaced by a tailored jacket from the top end of casual chic, matching trousers and a designer collarless shirt.

He went on, "Well, I'm not sure how much West Coast news filters back here, but I like to think I've done well enough for a surfie school drop-out - they're saying one film I was in could be Oscar-nominated next time, 2 more offers on the table etc etc - but modesty forbids..."

Kirsty rolled her eyes ceiling-wards - the Nick Smith she'd known would probably have thought Modesty Forbids was the name of a racehorse in the Melbourne Cup - but he was continuing,

"Anyway, hard as you'll find it to believe, my money was stacking up - I wasn't going to blow it on anything or anyone that happened to wander past - like that sad loser Amanda Vale for example -who I gather is back in town ? I'm not saying she was useless, but you could write the number of good reviews she got on the back of a half-cut stamp !"

He paused a little- " Seriously though, after Angie...."

He coloured a little, and Kirsty sensed a potentially awkward moment, but Dylan saved that with aplomb by cutting in, "Yes, ..nothing I could ever have done or said would have made up how bad I felt for Nick over all that stuff, but when I heard how well Nick was doing, plus of course his knowledge of the Bay, it just seemed right to get him on board." It was time for Kirsty to chime in, "Yes, but it's WHAT you're doing that I'm worried about - it's dangerous, and if..."

The third man, who'd been shifting a little impatiently cut in, "Dylan, I hate to interrupt, but you know where we have to get to - and time's cracking on..." Dylan shot a look at the wall clock and concurred , "Wow yes, time we weren't here for sure !" Hr paused on his way to the door, "Kirst, we'll catch up, yeah ? Do coffee or something...?" He lent forward to kiss her - a kiss that moved from one of merely goodbye into something a little longer, and from there into something both longer and potentially far more significant, - with neither party resisting the spontaneous escalation - and so it was that neither heard or saw the office door open and in walk Jade,,,,

Part of Sally's mind was questioning the whereabouts of Flynn as she dotted the i's and crossed the t's of the booking ledger - it had certainly been odd the way he'd just upped and left while that new arrival was checking in - yes he'd had a decidedly stressful time the day previously, but it was precisely because of that she'd expected him to chill out that day - maybe stay longer in bed - perhaps share brunch and some sofa-time together, but there he'd been, stalking out with hardly a word to the new girl and now totally disappeared. What was that phrase she'd heard somebody use about somebody else on TV - a mystery wrapped in an enigma ? That was certainly the way her husband was behaving today ! In fact the whole place was a little like the Marie Celeste - no Rick, no Cassie, and now Flynn as the Invisible Man too -!.

She smiled - at least Pippa wasn't going anywhere - unless of course her daughter's pram was about to flash past her driven rally-style by the three year old ! Anyway, she reflected, at least the apparent exodus gave her some rare head-space and maybe the chance to enjoy that glossy celebrity magazine she'd been meaning to start,-who needs husbands anyway !!

If ever an examination question was to be set stating "don't tempt fate - discuss", Sally was abiut to classify herself high in the list of those best qualified to answer it,

"Yoo-hoo - AWNLY me " bisected the air of the living room like a blunt saw attempting to fell a 50 year old Canadian pine. Sally emitted a deep sigh which sent some of the lighter papers at the edge of the desk floating autumn-leaf wise to a temporary new home on the carpet. She'd hardly managed to emit her "Come in Colleen " pleasantry before the same Mrs Smart was sitting next to her inquiring after her health and that of Doctor Saunders after his big day the day before -she moved on to Cassie , Ric - and as Sally felt the will to live starting to drain away she became grateful for the "Madge Wilkins effect" for a distraction as Colleen's head dipped suddenly and a little surreally out of sight for an impromptu floor inspection - surfacing with great ceremony to display exhibits A and B of a banana skin and squashed purple crayon before another elaborate dive plunged her deeper below table level to retrieve some of the papers blown away by Sally's earlier desperate sigh - AND a request for Sally to move her foot slightly - and THAT allowed her to emerge with potentially the most vital and potentially combustible item - Lynsey Benson's card - with Flynn's mobile number printed clearly on the back.

Sally at first viewed it with uncomprehending eyes - then increasingly thoughtfully...

"Everything alright, pet ?" came the query as the Smart antennae immediately and clinically homed in on a potential problem or issue. She received no reply as at that moment Flynn hurried back in, gathering up items as he went.

"Flynn...?"

"Can't stop Sal - been called in - big crash - apparently an ambulance involved..talk later..?" And with a peck on his wife's cheek he was gone. Sally was quickly up and outside in pursuit with a plaintive "Yes but Flynn....!..." - closely followed by a bustling Colleen. delighted that the success rate of her antennae was being maintained. But Flynn's driving had matched his leg-work - the car was gone, leaving Sally and Colleen only to spend with ten minutes in the pleasant sunshine with probing questions from one side and small-talk rebuff on the other till Colleen was forced to admit temporary defeat and padded back to her home to rally her forces for another attempt later.

Having resisted a temptation to confront Lynsey immediately Sally went thoughtfully back inside to think of preparing Pippa's feed. Something a little unfamiliar caught her eye, and leaning across the kitchen worktop she saw a handbill advertizing a new romantic drama at the Yabbie Creek theatre and two tickets for that night's performance. Her eyes widened - - now this really WAS strange....

"But what the heck HAPPENED...?" He stopped short, breathed in sharply and sank back on the stacked pillows. Every movement was akin to being doused in a bucket of intense and unrelenting pain, but even through the cloud currently engulfing it, his head was beginning to ask questions - lots of them. It was just that his body was refusing to buy into that ambition.

The face wracked with lines of worry once again leant across him - "Jack will you take it EASY ?? It's my fault you're in this situation and all I want is for you to rest and get OUT of here as soon as possible !!"

Again his mind ignored the red flag she was waving and broke smartly from its starting blocks - "Oh God I REMEMBER now - we argued..." Their conversation and dispute seeped steadily back into his mind -"Now look - you say you want me better...?" She nodded vigorously - "Well you have to PROMISE to forget we ever had that conversation and NOT go there again - right ?... RIGHT ?" Even that emphasis had brought a fresh cascade of pain, but her hesitation had not been born solely of reluctance. That was still there without a doubt, - but there was also guilt. A mental picture of Jack's bedroom shot accusingly into her mind - files opened, documents scattered around and books searched through as she'd resolved to find for herself ant possible clue over the mystery of the guy at the cinema and unlock the truth for once and for all. Jack's eyes were fixed on her awaiting a reply, but as she struggled internally to formulate the ideal response to suit all aspects she was saved by a commotion in the corridor outside - Jack's head jerked towards the door - at further cost to his pain threshold and blurting "I'll go and see...", she scuttled from the room, leaving Jack to endure almost ten minutes of thoroughly frustrating isolation and ignorance until her return. Eventually she moved slowly back in through the door - stunned disbelief written large on her face.

"Well..?" from Jack

Her reply was slow and deliberate,, "It's Kim - someone tried to disconnect his breathing machine when the nurse had popped out..."

"AND...?"

"And....they've arrested...Ric !!!" The room fell quiet - exceedingly quiet...

**PART 25**

While being aware of the heightened corridor activity surrounding the arrival of the crash victims and the sudden emergency alarm sounding in Kim's room - though not as yet the subsequent detention of Ric - Leah was aflame with determination not to let them distract from her main prey - that of Amanda. The sound of scurrying feet was then swiftly deadened as she clipped the door smartly shut, and stood - eyes ablaze- at the side of the bed.

"Well you've really excelled yourself THIS time lady and I'm going to get some answers if I have to drag them out of you myself !"

Despite her admittedly weakened physical state following the previous day's accident and the extended period of unconsciousness, Amanda's very best 'B' movie melodrama repertoire wasn't about to desert her. Eyelashes fluttering like newly greened leaves in an exuberant spring breeze she drew the bedclothes up around her, fixed a beseeching gaze on her ex-husband and intoned "What's she talking about Dan ? Doesn't she know I've just pulled through a serious coma ? Please make her stop...?" The eyelid-moistening department were razor sharp with their cue as well, but Leah's scoff was cut across by a bewildered but also fractionally truculent Dan demanding "Yes, hey fair go Leah- what IS all this about ? She's in a pretty weak state you know !" Leah's eyes rolled resignedly towards the regulation magnolia-painted ceiling of the room. "Yes - that'd be right wouldn't it - straight onto her side before you've heard a word from me - bit of a pattern emerging here I reckon !!"

The denial forming on his lips was swept away as she began to cut angrily loose "Well, it may be of some marginal interest to you to know that while she - as ever- seems to be coming out of this unscathed, VJ 's still battling away in an isolation ward..."

"Yes, but..."

"And the REASON for that is that when she KIDNAPPED him yesterday.."

"I didn't kidn..."

"That when she KIDNAPPED him yesterday and he was in the back of HER car - he got sick by sampling narcotics - yes DRUGS to you and me that were obviously somewhere in the back of HER car where he was sitting - and while Dr Green says he's holding his own - let me tell HER that if ANYTHING bad happens to my son because of this then she's going to pay a VERY heavy price ! So - what's the story - were they yours or are you doing shonky deals for some other low-life, that's what I'd like to know ? - and so will the police, I'm sure !"

A low moan from the bed signalled that the would-be tragic heroine felt she'd been too long from the limelight. The eyelid-moisture had now developed to a thin stream of tears following a well-worn and familiar course down her cheeks and she appealed again to the one element of the trio whose opinion and allegiance still appeared there to be won.

"Oh Dan - I can't stand this - can you please call the doctor ? I'm starting to feel very odd again ..."

His head rotated helplessly and momentarily between the two, but his wife saved him the discomfort of making a loyalty decision that should have been a natural one by snapping "OK - you can hide behind your pathetic dramatics the whole damn day if it makes you feel any safer, but my hunch is you're involved in something that stinks to high heaven - normally I'd be saying you stew in your own filthy juice, but now my son's involved, you crossed the line by a LONG way, and I'm going to be staying RIGHT on your case, you rest assured of that.!"

And with a disdainful "Well looks like I'll leave you two alone then..."she swept out, bumping the door behind her . Hot tears - and compared to Amanda's, wholly genuine ones- were pricking at the corners of her eyes. Tears of fury at the woman she'd just left behind mixed with tears of real concern and a trace of fear for VJ's situation. She stalked across to some chairs and emitting a huge sigh sank into the nearest one. Within a few moments she'd been joined by Rachel who'd wandered quietly over. "Leah, you ok ?" Answered only by a wan nod she went on, "I heard a lot of that, I hope you don't mind.. and..." pausing .."you know what you said about her doing some fishy with someone - well I think you could be right.."

Leah's head jerked up...

"And I may just know who....."

For several long, agonizing seconds Peter Baker sat - not only feeling the eyes of the quietly-arrived Dudley Sheperd boring into the top of his head, but progressively too those of the remaining clutch of people in the room, including the presiding licence magistrate.

Eventually he rose, and to an accompanying but almost inaudible gasp from Claire at his side , spoke clearly and precisely "I don't think there's anything I can constructively add to Mr Sheperd's submission, your honour, no ."

"Nothing at all Detective ?"

"No, nothing."

"Thank you Detective, well gentlemen I think that concludes our business for the day unless anyone has anything to add ?" None of her colleagues did, so they and the small collection of observers filed out of the small Town Hall extension room into the hallway outside. Peter and Claire moved as calmly as they could manage , with fixed smiles for the benefit of those filtering away until just they and Dudley Sheperd remained. His smile then dropping like a brick from an unsteady chimney-stack, Peter swung round towards the bookmaker heading straight onto the attack. In measured but iron-clad tones he moved into attack mode.

"Now listen you piece of dirt, before you go running your mouth off about what just happened in there , that should tell you loud and clear you can't threaten me , blackmail me, or whatever else you reckon........"

He broke off, noticing with surprise that Sheperd's face and attitude weren't threatening as he'd expected - instead the unattractively rough skin was wearing a smile - his usual semi-sneering and mirthless variety admittedly, but a smile nonetheless.

"Don't give yourself an ulcer detective -I knew very well how you'd act in there - otherwise why your little underhand trick in getting the hearing brought forward ? You certainly must have friends in high places. And anyway - I'd lost interest in that - I decided, why would I want to be stuck behind a counter in Yabbie Creek day in day out - when I could be doing FAR more interesting things- you get my drift ?"

Sheperd's swerve in the behaviour Peter had been anticipating had certainly left him a little uncertain, if not wholly perplexed. "So you mean - no ranting and raving, no threats about ringing the hospital, no dire consequences - - come on, what's the game ?"

The bookmaker feigned surprise - then once again the oily smile set off on its East-West journey accross his face , "Game, Detective Baker, ? The game, my friend - as I believe the Bard once said - is up ! " The consistently unpleasant laugh surfaced once again, with hus parting shot of "Head for home officers, head for home - and you know I'm sure you'll see the sense of what's happened today !"

"Well I don't trust him, " - that from Peter as the car approached their street later. It wasn't the first time he'd said it, and he'd been surprised and slightly irritated by comments from his other half somehow seeming to hold open the possibility that Sheperd may have undergone some Messianic conversion of character in the last 24 hours and that they'd rushed to judge him. "All I'm saying is you never know - he might... oooh wow...." She hit the brake suddenly to avoid a slightly rusty, faded yello sports car that had misjudged the corner and veered past them on what was perilously close to two wheels. "Morons !!" she yelled, tracing their erratic departure out of sight via her wing-mirror, "Where do they FIND idiots like that !.?.. can't we start...."

But her invective at the joyrider was interrupted by a sharp exclamation from Peter, on the other side of the car approaching their house.

"What the HELL......?"

Sally'd been very uncertain about what do do - about how far to indulge Flynn in this unspoken "love token" game he seemed to be playing. On the ONE hand, of course it was lovely to receive little gifts and to be made to feel special as a player in the romantic intrigue. But questions remained. WHY had his mobile number been on that girl's card ? HOW had the theatre tickets appeared on the table almost literally as if by magic ? And WHAT was the best way to deal with it ?

She knew he had been over-doing it at work, and almost absurdly looking to over-compensate as he'd admitted to her in one frank quiet moment that he was feeling the pressure of AGE at work - the likes of Shayne, Dr Green and Rachel being in their mid-twenties at most, and him ten or so years older.

She smiled as she guided the car up one of the many small slopes that interlinked to form the multi-storey car-park - he was HARDLY the old man of the Hills, now was he - no, he was a highly talented and capable doctor- but that kind of rather charming insecurity on his part had been one of the deciding factors in swaying her decision to come that night - a night out would do them both good, after all.

She'd left Pippa with an ever-interested Colleen, and though she hadn't been able to raise Flynn on his mobile, she was assuming he'd have called if he'd not been able to get there after the emergency at the hospital. Another smile scampering spontaneously across her face as she parked and got out reminded her triumphantly that she'd now finally be able to officially confront and "unmask" her husband as the mastermind behind the "romance trail" - see, she KNEW she'd have been able to out-wait him - female persistence triumphing again ! Catching sight of her watch she blinked in some surprise at how late it had become and decided she'd better choose the lift rather than the stairs - being late would never do for such a moment ! As the lift began to click down the floors towards the exit basement, she began rummaging in her handbag for the envelope where she'd put the tickets then tutted with exasperation as - true to form on such occasions- it slipped out and reached the floor with a faint clunk that coincided with the bell of arrival at the basement.. She bent to her knees as quickly as possible to reclaim it, feeling as she did the cool breeze of the early evening over her kneecaps - - - but that chill grew more piercing and ominous in one unexpected surge as the door opened and she found herself looking up at the direction of her fron high above a face and voice which delivered a "Hello Sally" greeting that immediately stirred an emotion cocktail she thought had been laid to rest - and made her fervently wish she WASN'T in the position she was now in...

Ric's face was drilled across with both worry lines and a burning sense of outraged indignation. Sergeant Harper had commandeered one of the offices just off the main passage as a makeshift interrogation room and was preparing to embark on yet another guided tour round the same relentless line of questioning Ric had endured at least half a dozen times already. Harper was scarcely an inspirational policeman, but no-one could accuse him of not being thorough.

Evincing a deep groan and a burying of head in hands from his suspect. , the officer intoned " Right, let's go through it again now Ric - you hadn't been getting on all that well with Kim, now had you ?"

Attempting with only partial success to breathe steadily and keep himself in check, Ric replied in slow staccato phrasing. " I -have-told-you- this a HUNDRED times !!. NO I didn't like the way he was hitting on Cassie - YES I heard about the accident and came here. BUT - as I came towards his room, some guy came out, shoved me , and the alarm started going off - how many MORE times ??"

Ignoring that narrative in a highly aggravating fashion , Harper continued "You see, I have some very colourful quotes from the Hunter house where you were LOOKING for Kim only yesterday - and NOT very happy either !"

Another growl escaped Ric's clenched lips - "I've TOLD you, I ..." then stopped short, a question mark forming in his mind. He'd told Harper that he and Kim had made up to a certain extent later that day - but not exactly how or why....those two characters in the Beach House - could THEY....?"

He was jerked back to reality by the sound of the receptionist at the door telling Harper there was a call for him that she wasn't able to put straight through to that room. With a meaningful gesture reminding Ric to stay put, Harper disappeared to the right. Ric stared with mounting frustration ahead of him, turning the facts and the possibilities over in his mind again and again until his attention was taken by the sight of a door on the other side of the passage being eased gently open. He couldn't quite see it all through the angle of the window, but as a man emerged, head slightly bowed and wearing some kind of cleaners' outfit, it dawned on him through pumping heart and rising excitement that it was - THE guy - the one who'd knocked him over earlier - AND the one from the beach house too ! Ric could rarely be accused of dawdling to think in such situations, so slipped smartly past the desk and out into the corridor - where the man, having just caught sight of him broke into a run heading for the back stairs. Ric did the same, only partly absorbing the bellow of "DAULBY.......!!!!!!!!!" from behind him. With immaculate policeman's timing, Harper had clearly finished his call. At the stairs, the man was leaping down them six, maybe eight at a time, and though Ric could MATCH that alarming rate of descent, he couldn't better it, meaning that courtesy of that slight flinch at Harper's earlier bellow, the guy had disappeared through the car park door already . In fact, as Ric undertook one final and death-defying leap of ten stairs he could already hear a vehicle being started up outside - "Damn" he mouthed silently, hurtling out of the door, only to be stopped short in his tracks by a flying rugby tackle from his left - by a police officer clearly radio-alerted by Harper from above.

"You IDIOT !!" screamed Ric as his target -driving a small white van at high speed was distracted momentarily by the commotion, slewed his head to the left to look while the vehicle hurtled crazily forward -- .....directly towards a totally distracted and unsuspecting Barry Hyde, eyes and mind set only on the main door , lost in search of news about Kim.......

Archived