More Questions Than Answers

Guest WYN100

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

**PART 26**

After the beachside thumbs up from Danni earlier in the day had effectively freed him from duty until further notice, Todd Allison had proceeded to enjoy the remainder of his day to the full. He'd driven up the coast road towards Mangrove River, again marvelling as he went at the spectacular scenery the Bay and its suburbs had to offer - and of which he's previously been wholly unaware. He'd taken some photos and stopped at a small but classily understated clothes shop to buy a scarf for his mother. Getting back in the car he smiled as he thought how much his mum would revel in a location like this - and how she'd no doubt once again tut and shake her head incredulously that he'd be getting paid as he did "just" for driving people around - and having enough time to go shopping into the bargain !

Still not having heard anything from Danni, he reflected briefly that her plans for the day must be going well, but assuming that he'd probably be required sooner or later, he re-traced his route in the direction of the Sands, realizing with some surprise as he eased the car into a space just how hungry he'd become - that Summer Bay fresh air had certainly sharpened the edge of his appetite ! It was though too early to be considering such restaurant delicacies as "steak parmesan au croquette " or "fresh caught snapper in a dill and pepper jus", so he headed instead for the in-house Coffee Shop and Grill where something of a lighter nature could be enjoyed - but possibly not right now ? The exuberantly welcoming weather had clearly done wonders for trade and Todd stopped short with a minor sigh of disappointment at what looked to be a completely occupied set of tables. Apart from one.... He'd been ready to turn and consider the somewhat less than sociable option of room service till he noticed on the far side by the window one spare seat at a two-table where there was only what he noticed to be an attractive woman in her mid-late 20's with wavy red-ish hair who'd been checking her watch in between sipping coffee in a somewhat less than settled manner. He made his way across asking "Hi - PLEASE don't think I'm rude but this seat could be the only thing standing between me and imminent nutritional and caffeine collapse - I don't suppose....??" As she looked up, instinctive surprise melted into a warmly attractive smile mixed with a semi-humorous resigned sigh "Oh then you must sit sir, right away ! As a doctor, I can't have a collapse on my conscience, now can I ? " Todd returned the smile and introduced himself as he sat down, saying "How can I ever repay you , Doctor...?"

"Armstrong - Rachel "

"Now are you quite sure about letting me sit here....?"

"Oh perfectly.." The resigned sigh received another airing as she recounted "I was due to be meeting my friend Hugh here - 'don't be late !!' he tells me - so much so I had to hurry away from a friend who had some real issues going on at the hospital -and NOW where is he ?- experience should have taught me Hugh's as reliable as a paper raincoat in a hurricane - but do I learn ??"

"Well - his loss, my gain" smiled Todd, and, catching the eye of the busy waitress both ordered, beginning what proved an extremely pleasant hour for each -featuring the discovery of a shared passion for "Friends" and ownership of identical DVD boxed sets as presents the previous Christmas. Rachel was already feeling almost grateful to Hugh for his non-appearance and also starting to register the first and faintest chemical flickers not to be found in any strict medical dictionary but which always tended to happen when a particularly good-looking guy was in such close vicinity. Todd too was feeling this was the most comfortable and easy time he'd spent with a girl since... well, no good going there right now, but certainly for ages. He was about to arrange paying the bill when the porter walked past carrying a bundle of the late edition "Summer Bay Gazette" evening newspaper . Smilingly exchanging the payment was a copy, Todd - as most guys do - flipped immediately to scan the back page sport headlines. Then, as he turned to the front, his audible gulp and instinctive intake of breath were enough to raise Rachel's eyes from pursuing the last piece of a Danish pastry round her plate with a dessert fork to move with concern in his direction. "Todd....everything ok ...?" Weakly he allowed the newspaper to subside in his grasp as , snake-like, she attempted to crane her head and read the bold banner headline upside-down.

"Oh, someone's not going to like this, " he said with foreboding - "someone's not going to like this AT ALL..........."

Martha had been comprehensively torn about what to do next - a large part of her naturally wanted to stay and lend support both to Jack in his recovery and Ric through his confrontation with the police , but looming ever larger in her mind was the spectre of Jack's bedroom, littered like the aftermath of a Brazilian carnival - but this wasn't ticker tape and streamers - this was files, documents and letters of his, thrown angrily around after their earlier argument as she sought defiantly for any clue about the mystery " cinema" man, the subject of who had seen him clam up tighter than a four year old caught trailing a line of biscuit crumbs from the kitchen cupboard.

Her mind had been made up when Jack started talking restlessly about getting one of his fellow constables to call in at his house and collect some |"vital" case notes he'd been due to place before Peter Baker later that day. Knowing she couldn't permit that to happen before getting there herself, she'd muttered something about "needing to tell Grandad and Morag about Ric", made her excuses and slipped away.

And so here she was in Jack's bedroom - attempting to right the chaos, yes, but with lingering traces of a double agenda as her eyes continued to linger longer than she could reasonably afford over most of the scattered documents, while trying still to remember as faithfully as possible where exactly they'd been prior to her angry scattering spree.

"YES -BG 10 !!!" read one self-penned note, while "Tea x 2, Coff 1 // milk" was a little more self-explanatory. And "Sandy !- call back" would require later explanation without a doubt , she decided haughtily. But - gallingly, with everything more or less replaced and time decidedly not on her side, there was no clue as to solving the mystery that had been aggravating her for the better part of two days. Sighing with exasperation she turned to leave, but suddenly her body tensed stiff as she heard a key in a lock somewhere else in the house. With monumental caution, she began to ease Jack's bedroom door open millimetre by millimetre, feeling certain the thunderous crescendo currently being hammered out by her heart must be audible to everyone south of Sydney Harbour Bridge. Her elaborate caution though turned at once to puzzlement but only very briefly relaxation as she observed through the narrow crack none other than Jack's father Tony..

Nothing SHOULD have been strange about that of course, but firstly - why had HE left the hospital so quickly with his son still recovering from the crash, and secondly - who could possibly have ignored his jerky, surreptitious manner- checking behind him to make sure np-one was there, then having dialled a number on his mobile, cupping his hand over the mouthpiece as her spoke in low, abrupt fashion - but not quite enough to prevent Martha hearing "Look, it's all very well for YOU to say this has got to happen sooner- no- no ! - I CAN get you the money- what ?- no, she doesn't know, but joint accounts are easy enough - no, at least not till it's too late anyway - right, look JUST to be sure - 85k you said, right ? And yes I'm VERY well aware of the alternative - look I told you - yes I'm very well aware of the alternative - I'll go set it up today..." He clicked the mobile shut and retreated to the back door in the same hunted fashion as he'd entered. In the bedroom, attempting to digest all she'd heard and make some kind of sense of it, Martha's head was left spinning...

Beth's mind had cranked into turbo velocity mode when confronted with the alarmingly unexpected appearance of Tasha - it was perhaps a shame that her acting skills didn't exactly increase at the same rate.

Flushing an obtrusively rich crimson, she began to blend the shrill with the mildly incomprehensible ! Tasha !! . well. , I didn't';t expect to...to...to..."

"See me here Beth ?"said Tasha - arms folded tighter, chin extended further and still more defiantly. Like an over-enthusiastic long-jumper after a caffeine overdose Beth hurled herself straight in, both legs first. Before Jed was able to even consider the option of placing the truth with all its attendant baggage before a girl he'd never actually met before . Beth had embarked on a serious bout of hole-digging. Knowing that Tasha had previously 100 per cent unquestioningly swallowed the transparent and flawed rantings of the Believers in preference to the advice of every friend sje'd ever had, Beth felt she must at least have some hope of success - however slight.

"You remember that film production course Robbie applied for a while back - the one I wasn't sure about ?"

"Yes..." slowly from Tasha, " he applied just after that doughnut commercial....."

"YES ! Well this is Professor Dawson from the college - he's come to have a chat with me as it looks like they may let Robbie on - and as it's six moths away interstate he just needed to get the..the..whole family picture !! And I...I was saying I didn't want Robbie to know until I'd had more of a chance to think = and - - er - - um - I'm still not sure.."

Jed was looking extremely uncomfortable about the new life role into which he'd just been cast - Tasha as if she'd just been parachuted onto an island equidistant between scepticism and uncertainty. Slowly though a smile announced its diffident arrival onto her face.."So you mean he's got on....?"

"MAY have..."

"OK MAY have , but even so that's AWESOME - thousands apply for that...but...man that IS a long time for him to be away..."

Well past the point of no return by now Beth ploughed on - "Yes, you see and that's one of the reasons why I'M unsure - so you can't tell him anything, yet...right ?" Jed looked role he was about to finally cut in and deliver a reality check at this point, but Tasha's face had clouded over - "Hang on just a minute though Beth, that can't be right.....|"

Had Beth been praying for a distraction at that point. her salvation couldn't have been more comprehensively delivered -the door flew open, and walking in backwards adorned with and pulling a huge selection of suitcases and boxes was none other than..Kit... without looking up , and sporting an aggressively deep frown she announced with feeling, "Well, you are not going to BELIEVE what's happened....!"

And suddenly it all made sense to Sally. The romantic gifts - the notes- the suggested rendezvous points - of course it had to have been Flynn - who else COULD it have been ?

WHY hadn't she said something - brought it all out into the open with Flynn ? THEN the crossed wires would have been pulled free and they could have really looked deeper into this ! And as recently as today - these theatre tickets simply COULDN'T have been left there by Flynn and yet from wholly invisible ingredients she'd allowed herself to bake an imaginary fantasy cake of intrigue and adventure for the mind - and where had it all got her ? Standing alone in a lift at a secluded corner of Yabbie Creek - with ..Diesel Williams. The tall, angular teenager with a hugely volatile temperament - and an obsession with Sally, who'd put her job in peril with his allegations - who'd "admitted" his problem to the authorities, but who now - by whatever means - was here at closer hand to her than she'd ever thought she'd have to be again.

Straightening slowly and attempting bravely not to let her voice crack with the suffocating tension she was starting to feel, Sally managed a relatively bright "Diesel - well fancy seeing you around these parts again!"

Her first mistake,

He eyed her curiously "But we arranged this Sally - the theatre tickets - on your table - you knew it was me, of course ?"

She attempted quickly to regain the lost ground "Oh yes, of course ! I..I just meant seeing you HERE - in this lift...I..I presumed we'd be meeting in the theatre - and hadn't we better hurry along, it'll be starting any minute !"

He shook his head "No - I HAD meant us to go there, but I've changed my mind. I've got somewhere far better - and FAR more private we can enjoy - I know we've had to wait a long time for this Sally- but it'll be so much more worth it for that, I promise !"

Sally felt her stomach begin to churn and damp cold hands of apprehension begin to start tightening around her neck. Alone and isolated as they were, she new the chances of the situation being rescued were remote, so she suggested as cheerfully as possible that they head for a bar our restaurant for something to eat or drink - but Diesel's mind was unservable - and so it was she found herself walking to and getting into his car, pulling out of the car-park and out onto the main rode. Her mind was flashing an invisible Code Red emergency message - but who was there externally to raise a far more practically useful alarm ? Flynn was clearly still at the hospital, while Colleen believed her to be at the theatre and it would be some hours yet before she grew at all concerned.

As Diesel's words about his fantasy perception of their "relationship" flowed around her ears, she gazed in a strange state of semi-reality out of the car's passenger window. How deeply she envied the smiling faces and unconcerned laughter of those going happily about their everyday early evening business - and, as the car flashed past the "Welcome to Summer Bay" sign en route for Diesel's mysterious and seemingly far-flung destination, she found herself wondering and hoping when the next time would be that she'd go back past that welcome notice in the opposite direction - - - or if indeed she ever would......

Oh my god you bought Diesel back! Wicked twist Wyn 100. I love the way with this you're constantly giving us cliffhangers and as soon as one is answered another one comes along. I love it!

:) JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE AWESOME COMMENTS -ALWAYS SURPRISED BUT **SO** DELIGHTED IF IT'S ENJOYED - THANKS AGAIN !! :)

**PART 27**

Paris had headed straight to his car following his brief encounter with Alex Poulos's rather fanciful; vision of himself as a high financier, and there he'd remained ever since talking animatedly into his mobile phone. He'd needed to pause briefly at one point, noting with some relief plus the ghost of a smile, Colleen's departure from the diner in the general direction of the caravan park. Recalling Alf's earlier description, the smile lingered as he imagined her equipped in army helmet with satellites and antennae sprouting from all sides as she aimed not to waste a minute in probing the thoughts and doings of all those around her.

The insistent buzzing dialogue emitting from his mobile dragged him back from the world of "Colleen Smart - Superspy" and he resumed his earlier conversation "It's a little local difficulty, nothing more. Now - given your part in financing this - and who it's going to affect, I don't think we're going to let this blow us off course, now are we ? He's pretty desperate to let it go, and I don't see that changing , but - - - " his voice temporarily regained the abrasive edge it had momentarily displayed to Alex and Brodie earlier "..if the local difficulty makes the mistake of enjoying the scenery too much or for too long - I think we're both agreed what happens then...?... hang on, I've got another call coming through... Hello, Paris Burnett ? Oh ?.... oh really ? - oh i'm so sorry to hear that, let's keep our fingers crossed... well yes, I could certainly do that... yes I'll get back to you, certainly - bye for now.." He completed the call, tidied up and finished the first one - and broke into a very satisfied smile - well, that call HAD been interesting - VERY interesting. he reflected. This return to the Bay could just be opening up for him in all kinds of areas....

For the two non-involved onlookers in the large back office-cum-boardroom, this was a situation bristling with watchable possibilities. Even the man who'd earlier been attempting to hurry Dylan along to his next meeting had perched himself on the edge of the table housing the fax machine near the door to await developments, while if anyone had told Jade even the previous day that she'd be entering a room with Nick Smith in it and not even turn a hair in his direction, she'd have rightly scoffed.

Dylan indeed had only spotted Jade's entry from the corner of his eye during the final stages of what had had developed into a genuinely passionate kiss, but curiously didn't instantly pull away until a few further seconds had elapsed. Straightening as he did to take in Jade's predictably outraged pose - crimson cheeks, hands jammed on hips, one foot tapping out a darkly ominous rhythm - there was still no flustered rush to her side, apologies and excuses gushing. Instead he took a breath, before adopting an exaggeratedly stylized American accent and declaring "Well Miss Sutherland, I'm happy to say you got the part !" Then - to Jade, with all the nonchalance he could muster "Hey there you, how did I deserve this pleasant surprise ?"

The glacier slowly forming around failed to thaw however, the aspiring iceberg instead demanding through tight lips and clenched teeth "Dylan - what the HELL'S going on ??" Now fully into his stride, he only paused for a moment before asking "What ..you mean...that ??- oh, that's simple enough..."

Oh, IS it indeed ??" she spat back, endowing the phrase with enough to scorn to have daunted a dozen less resilient souls than Dylan. But he swept on, clearly oxygenated by his own creativity. "Look, I know I've been a bit vague about all this, " -gesturing all around the room, " but it's all about power - energy, that kind of thing - just bringing the Bay into the 21st century ! Anyway, we're going to get a TV avert together - - 'KISS YOUR ENERGY WORRIES GOODBYE - that sort of thing, you know ? Anyway, I just happened to see Kirst get off her bus outside, so I asked her in for a coffee, and just wanted to show her what I had in mind for the advert - isn't that right Kirst ..?" Kirsty was fractionally beginning to recover from the trauma of her sister's untimely entrance and chimed back " Oh yes of COURSE Jade , what - you didn't actually think.....?"

Becoming by the minute more aware of her surroundings, the assembled company and the confident reasoning she was hearing, Jade was beginning to feel the earlier cast-iron outrage drain from the soles of her shoes, so took a political backward step, thawed her manner, and-putting an arm round Dylan's neck said "Hmm, well ok then - but you'd better make sure I'M in one of these commercials, that's all I can say Buster !! Anyway, I'll have to go, I've got a hair appointment booked at that place down the road - I just thought I'd look in as its the first time I've been anywhere near this mysterious address of yours I hear so much about !!"

"Oh, no, mystery", he responded quietly - but Jade was already having a quick reunion with Nick with a promise of catching up soon. She grabbed her purse and cellphone from the cluttered table by the door, before being joined by Kirsty who said quickly "Yes, I'd best be off too - so much to buy, so little time !!" And with that he pair left -Kirsty too gathering up her belongings before sweeping out with relief. A quick chat about Nick's reappearance and a girlie hug later, they parted ways with a promise to talk soon.

As Jade sat and waited at the H hair salon, she mulled events over in her ,mind - Wow, Nick Smith eh !! Why would he l be back She wrinkled her nose in mild confusion at the sound of an unfamiliar text alert coming from her bag. ahh " - that was why. - it wasn't her phone it was Kirsty's ! - they must have picked each other's up at the office ! She was about to ring her sister and tell her about the mix-up when a double blink showed her the text she'd heard the alert for was from - Dylan !

WHY was he texting Kirsty ? All her earlier doubts flooded back, and there were only a couple of seconds hesitation before jabbing the |"read" button and seeing " Phew - how close was THAT ? Think we got away wiv it tho ! Call me soon ?

Jade's face set firm and uncompromising. Right.- if they wanted to play it that way - they'd picked the WRONG girl to play AGAINST, that was for SURE !!!.....

Rachel had returned to the hospital for her evening shift with a peachy warm glow of contentment around her , the kind of which she'd not experienced in quite some time. Confiding her suspicions in Leah about who could possibly be the puppet master for Amanda's apparent surreptitious cargo-carrying activities had been a great weight off her mind, particularly in the light of the highly unfortunate events that had befallen VJ.

And - the non-arrival of the notoriously unreliable Hugh for their scheduled late lunch at the Sands had been more than adequately compensated for by the extremely convivial 90 minutes she'd spent with Todd Allison. And - the smile she carried happily with her into the admissions area owed more than a little to that long overdue "chemistry alert" she'd felt swimming through her rather deliciously while she'd been in his company.

As so often happens in such situations though, the remorseless and usually mundane reality of work cut a clinical incision directly through her feelgood factor. A dishevelled-looking Doctor Green was advancing towards her, brow closely knitted and carrying a case file clipboard.

"Oh Doctor Armstrong - I'm so glad your back on tonight - I'd appreciate an opinion - a very important one - it's about Barry Hyde..."

In a room just a few yards down the hallway, and with a policeman on duty at the door, that very same Barry Hyde lay - adorned with a variety of tubes and breathing aids, the inevitable heart monitor emitting its stark individual blip at relentless 8 second intervals. Beside the bed, a distraught Irene sat stifling small sobs - next to her was Morag who'd come along for support once the news had got through to her.

"Gawd save us Morag I don't understand ANY of this - first Kim and Cassie - then Barry- and the police talkin' to RIC about all or some of this, ..!"

"I know" responded Morag with customary dryness, "that's something I intend looking a LOT deeper into, just as soon as they'll be generous enough to actually let me SEE the boy !!"

Another sob sneaked up on Irene and attacked her, sniper-style, "Gawd save us Morag, alright I may not have been..oh, you know....WITH the guy any more, but I still.... oh...!" A handkerchief was forced swiftly in to play to deal with the snuffle of raw emotion, as even Morag's legendary stern resolve in times of crisis melted to the extent of patting her on the hand and muttering the seemingly compulsory line at such times , "Bear up Irene, he's in the very best hands, I'm sure they're doing all they can."

Almost as if on cue, "they" in the forms of Rachel and Doctor Green arrived at the door of Barry's room. With her customary lack of respect for formalities Irene was immediately up out of her seat. "Rache, doc...? What is it - is he going to be ok ? And don't give me any of your old flannel - give it to me straight !"

With that invitation, Rachel was ready to oblige. Exchanging a quick glance with Dr Green she proceeded , "Well, as you know, Barry got hit by that van, and needed emergency surgery His spleen is badly bruised, but though there was a lot of internal bleeding, we have now managed to stem that, at least temporarily. However, he does without a doubt require a kidney transplant - and very quickly too - the blood flow is just too irregular. HOWEVER - the very real problem is we have an exceptionally long waiting list - particularly for this kind of skin tissue. There would of course be one almost guaranteed perfect match...."

The two redheads lent forward attentively...

"Of course that would be Kim.."

"Well......?" demanded Irene

"But of course Kim is in recovery three doors down- and in Doctor Green's estimation that so soon after his surgery, attempting a donation would be far too hazardous for both of them.."

The earlier spark drained quickly from Irene's face as she nodded with resignation. Rachel though was continuing " but sadly that still leaves us with a problem - and an urgent one. Mr Hyde's already on a countdown with what we're able to do for him - and the longer we go without getting a kidney.....well, ..the more serious the outlook becomes."

Irene again attempted to shake herself back to full reality - "You mean he.....?"

Rachel nodded - yes Irene, I'm afraid I do....."

Time seemed frozen in the suddenly very unsympathetic atmosphere of the small ward.....

Sally had drawn on her deepest reserves of resilience and ingenuity to guide her through the personal crisis episode unfurling crazily around her. By keeping her eyes alert and active around her, she'd noticed and ascertained that they were headed to a destination somewhere in Auburn Cove, a village that could with some justification be called a hamlet. Perched on top of a jagged swathe of steep rocks with an almost perpendicular drop down onto the smaller cliffs below, it could almost have been argued that the dictionary definition of 'remote' could or should have been re-aligned as a picture of Auburn Cove on a late winter evening. Sally gave an involuntary shiver as she again attempted to re-connect with difficulty to the almost non-stop monologue that Diesel had maintained since leaving the public car park adjacent to the theatre in Yabbie Creek. It had revolved almost entirely around the fantasy tapestry he'd sewn himself around "their relationship" - talking of his homework sessions at the Caravan Park and the meal they'd shared at the diner on the supposed anniversary of his mother's death - but she knew she had to keep listening - for any chance, random moment she could perhaps exploit to win her freedom. His head turned sharply - "Are you cold Sally ? Because if you ARE - my overcoat's on the back seat - you're VERY welcome to snuggle inside that if you'd like ? She suppressed another shiver - this one would have been of distaste as well as apprehension, and said "No thank you Diesel, my jacket will be fine for now - but don;t you think we...?"

"No..!" he snapped, suddenly hostile " I know what you're going to say, and you and I are going to be together for a LOT longer than this, I can promise you. !"

She relapsed into silence, pulling the earlier mentioned jacket tighter around her. - - and as she did - the tiniest germ of an idea took birth - her cellphone - there in her pocket - charged - and on silent because she thought she'd be at the theatre...she just hoped she could keep Diesel at an even pitch while she tried to nourish that idea and get it to flourish,

But as he eased off the misleadingly named main road and parked on a small grassy inlet close to the cliff-path, his air became darker. He'd begun to talk about Eternity - being "together forever", and with those phrases scurrying round her mind - his next uttering cut through in chilling fashion "I think we should have a little walk along the cliff-path, don't you...- the view is spectacular - quite spectacular."

As the alarm bells began sounding in her mind, the embryonic idea in her mind burst through its shell with added urgency and emerged - IF- - IF she could call Flynn's number somehow and keep the line live long enough - maybe just maybe she could let him hear a conversation illustrating where she was and the kind of trouble she was in - -

Diesel was getting out of the car now, and she realized she would have a few - but JUST a few seconds to attempt to find and send the number while Diesel walked round the back of the car to get to her side. Heart slamming she reached in, scrolled desperately down the amount of clicks she knew it took to reach Flynn's number, and as Diesel's shadow began intruding to her left , she prodded the "send" button, offering up a silent prayer as she did.

Back at the Northern Districts Hospital the phone rang.

"Oops.." -as it rang- - Jesse McGregor tutted, and reached down from his bed in the recovery room to switch it off - "Forgot that was on, " he tutted.." not allowed these on in here, I'll be getting in trouble..."c Sally had no contacts starting with G, H or I - and with Flynn followed by Jesse, a fractional miscalculation in her scrolling , her call had been delivered not as she'd hoped to salvation, but to the perilous edge of a black hole. Jesse's thumb prepared to snuff out the persistent ring tone - and Sally's fate with it....?

• 2 weeks later...

**PART 27**

Peter strode purposefully towards the front door, now hanging a little drunkenly from a forced hinge . He picked his way around the confused pile of glass fragments from where the small pane of door glass had been forced, then turned and raised a silently restraining hand as he heard Claire's feet starting to head down the path behind him after she'd parked the car.

"Wait," he mouthed softly ", there could still be someone in there ..."

The welter of concerned questions that had been forming on her lips duly froze temporarily as her own police training instincts belatedly kicked in over those of the uncomprehending and concerned resident householder. She too shuffled carefully past the shards of glass and fell into carefully measured step behind Peter as he moved slowly and with extreme precision through the hallway, eyes constantly flicking around him for further signs of the break-in and trying to ascertain whether any of the intruders still remained in the property. Claire meanwhile was attempting to visually assess what actually might have been taken , whispering to Peter as she did "thats bizarre though - how long were we actually out ? An hour ? 90 minutes tops - mark that down as a VERY narrow escape, eh?" With Peter's attentions too occupied to respond, she continued her mental stock-take of what should be in the house they'd so recently moved into, stiffening to total silence on becoming aware of Peter's again-upraised palm - indicating he'd become aware of a muffled but specific noise emanating from the sun-room at the back of the property. As he slipped out of sight, she quickly and efficiently ran eye and mind over the surfaces and shelves around her, adding to the stock of what she'd observed already. After around three minutes or so of taut silence, Peter re-appeared, his face wearing a perplexed air Shaking his head slowly he raised both hands at his sides in a half-shrug. "No - nothing..."

"But ....the noise ..?"

"Well they'd obviously forced that door too, and it was kind of just flapping back and to in the breeze - but this just tastes really weird to me.

Claire cut in eagerly , "WELL - you want to know what's even weirder ? From what I can tell - they haven't actually TAKEN anything...."

His eyebrows took an involuntary trip north -

"Yes, there's the two doors." she continued - "...some papers strewn, chairs knocked over - but see. here - some of my jewellery - and even money out in the open- and untouched..!"

"Then I just don't get it - I know I SHOULD, but..."

Their brief shared puzzled glance was denied a longer acquaintance by a noise from outside the front that won their joint attention -and as they moved towards the front door to try and discover more, Peter's bewilderment at the break in was given a very large helping hand in dissipating and diluting - slapping his fingers to his forehead, he emitted an aggravated "Of COURSE...as the noise - a loudspeaker fixed to the top of a car urged the street and all those in the vicinity to "VOTE -SHEPERD - In the Council elections make Dudley Sheperd YOUR number one - cracking down on crime..." and as the car pulled to a crawl in front of them and they were treated to the sight of Sheperd's highly unappealing smile from the lowered passenger window, the canvass message continued "Stick with Sheperd - or crime could visit YOUR door...!" The inelegantly disguised double message of that last line was lost on neither of them, but Peter's steadily mounting fury at the threatening sting the bookmaker had pulled on them was to be probed and stoked still further. As the "campaign car" began to pull away a little more steadily, clear and uncompromising sailed from the loudspeaker " Vote Dudley Sheperd - local hero - our fight-crime campaign is backed by Detective Baker of Yabbie Creek Police...vote Dudl...." As the far from modest candidate and his sound system melted into the distance, Peter swiped a savage air kick in the direction of the front gate, then snapped curtly through the ominous thunderclouds gathering in massed ranks on his brow "Right, this has gone far enough..." Her internal alarm system flashed a Code Red warning as she saw Peter gave a tug of confirmation at his gunbelt en route down the path.

"But Pete, hold on - what about all that hospital stuff .. the Matron and everything,,,,?" she cautioned - knowing internally it was too late to dampen his gathering head of steam . He stopped - and not for the first time that eventful afternoon, his palm was firmly raised - this time in her direction. "Claire - I need the car keys - and as for the Local Hero, he's now gone several steps too far - and I know EXACTLY what needs to be done, ok....!" She tossed him the keys with a sinking heart that even as it plunged was hoping against hope that events weren't going to career even further out of control. She managed a belated "Pete, don't do anything stup....." - the plea swirled away to nothing amid the aggressive bark of the engine and its farewell gift cloud of exhaust smoke.....

The late afternoon was arguably the prime section of a sunny day in Summer to choose a walk along the perimeter beach path - the thin line of adjacent trees providing some welcome shade from the most piercing warmth-rays of the sun, while the picture-perfect quality of the daylight picked out the dazzling cobalt shades of the ocean plus the parched white quality of the sand with consummate ease to the eye of the passing stroller.

There were those who protested stoutly that dawn was the only time to tosavour the scenery to best effect - Alf Stewart and his fellow anglers leading that particular lobby. Robbie and Tasha though were both firmly in the early evening camp, and so it was they were walking hand in hand along the path, Robbit talking excitedly about an article he'd been reading on "Young Entrepreneurs of the new Millennium "/

"Its truly amazing Tash, there's this one guy in the States who does the grocery shopping for almost an entire VILLAGE - buys the stuff online and delivers in an old van he bought dirt cheap - I must be doing SOMETHING wrong - I'll be OLD by his standards soon, and what have I ever done ? Sacked for dropping plates after one shift in the diner and playing a nerd in a doughnut commercial !!", He clasped his hands together and dropped dramatically to his knees "Please God, give me inspiration !! - ONE good idea, that's all I ask for - just ONE !!"

Tash laughed and started trying to pull him up "Come on you doofus, you'll have the whole world watching !!" Despite her initial reservations, she still had the feelgood factor inside her from what had happened at Beth's house earlier , and she didn't like to see Robbie sinking steadily into one of his regular periods of shallow depression about his place in the world and his prospects of imminent fortune - or otherwise ! She gave a little instinctive blush as Robbie subsided from a kneeling position to lying flat on his stomach beating the cement with a frustration she knew was only semi-humorous. It was a blush that widened into a more appreciative beam as her eyes alighted on a bench a few hundred yeards along - occupied by- Professor Dawson - or so she thought - but in reality Jed.

Jed, who having been ushered smartly out of Beth's following Tasha's untimely arrival was aiming to quell the churning cauldron of frustration fomenting inside him. There was a quiet but hard-edged determination within him not to give up on his quest to talk to Beth, but he was beginning to feel now may just be the time to pull back and regroup - maybe take a van at this caravan park he'd been hearing about, or....he looked up...and met the gaze of that blonde girl who'd been at Beth/s earlier....and - his heartbeat upped at least two tempo scales....there was Robbie....could he...should he.....the girl was saying something to Robbie... yes, the girl certainly was -"Rob, look things CAN be good - they WILL be good..and I KNOW I shouldn't be telling you this = but you know that producer's course you applied to - well, - you're ON it - or as good as anyway, and..." she pointed is a surreptitious fashion - "THAT guy's Professor Dawson - he's from the college - I met him at your mum's - he's here to check it all out - Rob you just HAVE to say hello to him.....!" Robbie had been left bewildered by the cyclonic whirl of words, ideas and now action from his other half, managing only fragmented responses as he how found himself being dragged by the hand down the path - "He......wha.. the COURSE,,,???....wha....wow. that's AWESO......what NOW ? .....but I thought you said.....???? " Even if the fragments had gelled to produce the most compelling urge of caution known to mankind, it would have been unlikely to stop the adrenaline - hoisted lady in her tracks . Finally starching Robbie's hand and depositing him to one side rather like a black bag full of garden grass clippings, she assumed the customary angelic posture she generally employs for such situations, dived in quicklty - "Ah, excuse me Professor Dawson..."

Jed did a slight double-take at the fictional identity as Tash went on "I met you at Beth's today and though I KNOW I shouldn't have told him, I just thought if you met him and...." She stopped, aware that Jed's face didn't come under ant category of reaction she'd expected. His face had a serious, though not angry quality to it, as he began slowly and deliberately..." Look ..Tash, isn't it...? .. I really can;t go on with this any more...I'm not a Professor of anything...my name's Jed - now look, would the two of you mind squatting down on this bench...? Robbie 0 there's something I really need to tell you....."

As the late evening sun kissed the Bay a gentle greeting - it looked as ig Beth's strenuous campaign to muzzle Jed and his message was about to come to nought...

"Are you absolutely SURE about this, Irene, ?" Morag queried uneasily - not for the first time.

"Absolutely" shot back the confident reply. Indeed, Irene's demeanour almost had something of a swagger about it - "I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier- it's the very least I can do when you think about it !"

"Well, I can only repeat I'd be VERY sure if I were you, Irene", shot back a typically blunt rejoinder from Morag. "after all with the best will in the world you don't actually OWE the man anything, - and let's face it, for an enterprise of this kind, well, - you're not exactly getting any YOUNGER, now are you !!"

"And with all the sweet talk I get, is it any wonder ?" replied Irene drily, rolling her eyes, but then- more seriously "Look Morag I haven't exactly made the biggest footprint on this mortal whatsit - I've made a lot of bad calls too - and I really believe once in a while these chances come along where we can do that one big thing - that one thing that really makes a DIFFERENCE - and I'm sure as jiminy not going to pass that up now it's come knocking."

Were it ever appropriate to describe a lady as having snorted, that would have been a more than competitively accurate description of the unswervingly realistic sound Morag gave in response - indicating it would take a deep and urgent crisis involving a close family member to make her even consider the kind of sacrifice that Irene was about to make - though somewhere underneath there was a sneaking regard for it . Time certainly seemed to be running out for Barry, and as Irene had earlier confirmed, their similarity in blood and tissue types had casually arisen some months earlier while watching "one of those hospital reality whatsit thingy" type shows as Irene had described it. So, after she'd begun to emerge from the shellshock of Rachel's earlier pronouncements on Barry's grim prognosis she'd sat bolt upright, as if visited by one of "Those" seismic ideas , tracked down Dr Green and been immediately put through the formal compatibility tests. Brushing aside Morag's suggestion that she should contact Fin or even Nathan to let them know what she was contemplating, she was now sitting, fidgeting and eager for action - "Gawd save us Morag I was a surrogate mum at nearly 45 to young Paul - what is it they say - too late for me to start worrying now, right ?" She sprang up as the door eased open, heralding first Rachel, then Doctor Green a few steps behind. "Right Doc, I'll come quietly - lead me away !" joked Irene - but while she maintained a high speed and rather forced prattle - clearly aimed at subduing rising nervousness, Morag could immediately sense something was amiss by studying the faces of the two medicals - her friend slowly picked up on the awkward atmosphere herself. "OK Rache - let me have it - you can't do it today, is that it ??....what...?"

Prefacing her reply with a heavy sigh, Rachel responded "Irene I'm so sorry......"

As Irene cast alternate and questioning stares of incomprehension at the other three in the room, the countdown to crisis clock hanging over the unconscious Barry's body seemed to have gathered pace.....

"Sorry mate, I'll turn it off now..."

Flynn was on his rounds at the hospital and had opened the door of Jesse's room to she him picking up a busily ringing mobile phone from the bottom of a bag at the side of his bed.

"No, go on - you answer it - after all I'm not carrying round a heart monitor or anything that can go haywire !" he smiled

"Cheers mate" , Jesse gave a grin of response and jabbed the green "answer" button. Flynn waited, then watched with growing curiosity at Jesse's face responding to what he could hear at the other end.

"What's up ?" he mouthed after some seconds.

Jesse was clearly straining first to hear, then comprehend what he was hearing, but eventually a small light seemed to dawn . Covering the mouthpiece he whispered "I know this sounds bizarre, - I think it's Sally ! - but somethings not quite right..." Flynn's face was a pastiche of bemusement sprinkled with vague unease - he craned his neck down alongside Jesse, who obligingly tilted the earpiece at a slight angle. Jesse had been right of course - it WAS Sally, and she DID have someone with her. Large parts of the conversation were distant. muffled and even downright inaudible, but as the two strained desperately to hear every word and jigsaw a picture of what they were being presented with, those earlier embryonic feelings of misgiving stretched their wings and flew as fully-fledged alarm.

Auburn Cove as a location for Sally to be was baffling - though Jesse did know where it was- but it was the realization of who she was there WITH that tore into Flynn like a gash with a broken bottle. "Diesel !! - that little mongrel !" he hissed

"I thought he was in some psychological assessment place or something...?" Jesse whispered - - - but Flynn had already turned on his heel and headed for the door, taking Jesse's mobile with him, clamped defiantly to his ear. There was no way Jesse was being left behind, and while Flynn's strict medical assessment would have forbidden any such excursion for the patient without more R and R , the normal rules had already hit the base of the dustbin.

A pursuit clad in a very surreal air then unfolded, Flynn driving at the kind of m.p.h to give speed-obsessed cops severe indigestion in their frequent leisurely sandwich breaks, while Jesse maintained a tense adhesion to the mobile phone, nodding frequently at Flynn to reassure him there was still audible contact of some kind with Sally and her captor, but as they pulled to within 10 minutes of their destination his face fell noticeably. Seeing the thunderous question mark forming on the face of Flynn, who'd noted his concern, Jess placed the mouthpiece area of the phone firmly under the seat cushion, craned his neck as far as possible over to the driver's side, and revealed in a hoarse stage whisper "She tried to keep him talking - but now they're going out on the cliff path - and BOY those are dangerous cliffs, the coastguard only approve them for walking about twice a year..."

And so it was that two very grim faces swept into the increasingly bleak Auburn Cove cliff-side car park only just over five minutes later and as of one mind, headed straight out onto the cliff-path. Mindful of course of not alerting Diesel to their presence and so putting Sally at risk, they proceeded carefully, Flynn on several occasions giving a shudder of horror as he observed the steepness of the drops. The cliff path wasn't a particularly long one though, tailing off into a wide chunk of rock face at its furthest extent, and it was no more than 20 minutes later they re-grouped, a by now particularly tired-looking Jesse meeting Flynn about 50 yards or so from the car-park. By now the mobile phone lifeline had reduced to a series of crackles and just the occasional highly muted fragment of conversation - possibly through it being a bad signal area - possibly and more worryingly though, the fact that Sally's battery may have started to fail. After a pause for breath re-gathering, it was Flynn who articulated the question resonating through both their minds , "Where the HELL are they ??"

Had they re-convened ten yards further away along the path, it's more than possible one of them wouls have observed - lying at an angle across a large clump of raised bracken - one of the shoes that less than two hours previously Sally had put on in happy anticipation of an enjoyable "mystery" but romantic visit to the theatre with her husband..........

• 2 weeks later...

**PART 28**

Kane gave a short, rather hoarse cough and ran his finger on the inside of his collar. Was it his imagination, or had the temperature in this room increased quite substantially during the course of the interview so far ? Having the last appointment of the day and needing to wait around for quite some time in the run-up to it certainly hadn't assisted in calming his nerves, but he'd prepared thoroughly, was in charge of his subject and could point to substantial relevant experience.

And yet....

Kane and Kirsty had both been excited to see the job advert for "Junior Trainee Manager" at the new Slipstream Marina complex in Yabbie Creek. Surely this was something tailor-made for him ? He'd got the bo'sun qualifications from Tafe, and served his time practically both at the boatshed and as an active and integral part of the crew with Scott on the Blackslund. He'd worked diligently too in researching and producing a "vision for the future"-type presentation that the advert had asked for, and in his opinion had delivered it as well as he could have hoped for in the pressure environment.

And yet.....

As the interview had proceeded he'd become increasingly aware of the total lack of any empathy emanating from the panel of one man and one woman - not just the normal "go on - impress us then" haughty facade employed by job interviewers, but something more profound, and even something- he'd started to feel - that was bordering on active hostility. Trapped as he was in a shirt and tie that was totally alien to his normal persona but which seemed likely anyway to fall outside the remit of what promised to be quite an outside-based job, hence his perception of rising temperature and surreptitious finger inside the collar. This reaction - or more precisely total lack of it, was leaving him more than a little baffled. He fought hard to return his attention to the matter in hand and complete his PowerPoint presentation.

"And so..." another hoarse cough - "in conclusion, I'd certainly say that using the figures and suggestions I've outlined could help ..er..significantly towards -..um- increasing profit margins year by year. "

By this point he'd become well aware that the disapproving duo before him weren't about to burst into a spontaneous standing ovation while flinging their documents into the air and shouting "Bravo ! " - he had expected a little more than an extended period of silence while both his inquisitors remained heads down, their eyes seemingly boring holes into a document apparently more fascinating than a winning lotto ticket. Eventually, the man - called Russell Meadows, in his mid-fifties with neatly-trimmed newly grey hair almost reluctantly raised his head, fixed Kane with a probing look and said with the faintest trace of a disapproving sneer "So Mr Phillips - about you personally - how would you tell us about that ?"

Kane hesitated, wrinkling his nose slightly. He hadn't totally been expecting that one , "Er well - just an ordinary bloke really - - solid - - like the footy - - drink now and then ..?" Meadows continued to eye him for a few extra seconds before saying in a voice noticeably low on warmth or expression "Right, that's fine Mr Phillips, thank you for coming."

Kane was temporarily welded to the spot "Oh -and - um, will I hear from you ?"

"We will inform those successful - - but we are seeing a LOT of other candidates......"

'Why not just hand me a placard saying YOU DIDN'T GET IT ' thought Kane bitterly as he trudged out, closing the door behind him. Inside, Meadows raised his eyebrows excessively high at the woman before reaching for the phone and dialling - "Hello ? - yes - I just wanted to say thank you once again - that information was MOST valuable - and very timely too. - much appreciated...yes, ..." As Kane downstairs on his way out began an internal inquest as to why the interview had veered so off track, the phone lines above him were relaying that very answer.......

Robbie was sitting with his back to the door as Beth re-entered the kitchen. She'd been for a lie down after the day's various stresses and pressure points had begun to take their toll. The whole situation with Jed including today's volatile triangle scenario involving Tash had mixed her a threatening pre-headache cocktail. but a strategically placed damp flannel and a couple of paracetamol had eased her back to the land of the living, and now with the Jed-threat having seemingly been sidestepped, she was feeling almost buoyant.

"So what's your fancy for tea then, sweet ?" she called across in Robbie's direction - "I know - blueberry ,muffins, what do you reckon ?" As she talked, she could almost feel the heavy blanket of troubles that had been laid around her shoulders beginning to raise and unfurl - "and hey, if we do, count your blessings Henry's not here - he just WORSHIPS that muffin cake mixture and with him around you're lucky if it gets out of the BOWL let alone to the oven - now I often fancy them with cream - or even ICE-cream - mmm , now how indulgent would THAT be, eh ?" She stepped across to the oven, clicked the heat-setting switch and rattled around in the cupboard beneath to find her baking tray.

Becoming slowly aware of her son's lack of response, she trotted round the kitchen work-top to where he was sitting, flopping down into the chair next to his, and volunteering "...everything alright mate ? I was beginning to wonder if you'd got an invisible Ipod plugged in or something for a minute then !"

She watched as he turned his head slowly to the left, and was struck immediately by how dark an atmosphere it was resonating - sullen, resentful, almost accusatory even. He looked her face up and down like she was a stranger with a bad reputation that he'd only just met.

"Rob, sweet...what...?"

His extended and smouldering silence was finally pierced.."Have a good day today mother ..?"

"...What....?"

"Have plenty of visitors ? Like - Professor DAWSON for example ..? A thin beam of - unfortunately premature - relief began to inch avross her face.."Ah - well I can explain about that..."

"Oh I BET you can.." shot back Robbie..."like how his real name's Jed and he's not a professor at all, but how YOU do know him rather well....!!"

Thrown off guard by this sudden and somewhat unpredictable turn of events, Beth opted to "get her defence in first ."

"Oh Rob, sweet, I'm SO sorry you had to talk to that guy, if I've warned him once, I've warned him a million times - - but PLEASE Rob - you HAVE to believe, whatever he says - WHATEVER he says - he is not, repeat NOT your father - you HAVE to believe that - - - Rob...?"

Her son's face had changed from the purple tints of simmering anger to a worryingly blotchy pale. From a mouth slightly south of two sunken and staring eyes came "Well this gets better and better MUM ..." he articulated hoarsely, momentarily grabbing the side of the table to steady himself ..."Whatever he DID say, he CERTAINLY didn't say anything about being my father !! - but pray do carry on......!!" Beth gaped - aghast at her immense error of tactical judgment- it was unlikely the often-felt judgement emotion about cutting ones tongue out could ever have been more applicable........

Having spent a fretful half-hour since Peter's departure, Claire sat herself up straight, spoke some brusque words to herself and resolved there was no point in sitting around agonizing over what Peter may or may not be doing - - after all, what could actively be ACHIEVED by that ? No, she resolved , it was time to think of herself for once - after all, with what she'd been through this last 48 hours or so, who could say she didn't deserve it ? Peter after all was a grown man - and a professional - and she had to leave HIM to make the best call on situations, now didn't she !!? Admittedly forcing that last part down into place was one of the trickier parts of hammering into place this new "no-stress" Claire persona, but hammer it she did, and by a resounding vote of one to zero the new "Claire Lite" placed retail therapy firmly at the head of the agenda for the remainder of the day.

Peter having headed off seemingly in pursuit of Dudley Sheperd in his own car she grabbed her keys from the kitchen table and headed via a smooth 15 minute trip into the town centre and a convenient car-park dropped neatly between three of her favourite stores which almost miraculously yielded her up a parking space after less than the roughly average three days wait. That " blue moon moment" alone was enough to send her with a light heart in search of that "total must-have even though absurdly expensive" hand-bag, a refill of the chic'n'elite moisturizer she'd lovingly inched out since her last birthday but was now out of, and of course to Starbucks for the Mocca Cappuccino and cream apple Danish on which her conscience normally placed such tight restrictions. Adding a J-Lo CD to her day's pleasure trove, she skipped back to the car and started the trip back home, Ms Lopez providing the backdrop for her fortunately private karaoke stylings as she nosed the vehicle out into the main traffic stream. A couple of hundred yards further on as the traffic ahead of her slowed gently towards a red light, something to the left caught her eye. A small, rather shabby shop- unit was displaying posters with such memorable legends as "DS-OK !", "LOCAL HERO...", "VOTE DUDLEY...." - she rolled her eyes to the heavens but then the first stab of anguish she'd experienced all afternoon sliced across her spirit, bringing an involuntary shiver with it - that was Peter's car parked outside ...and...more surprisingly - was that DAN'S parked just a few spaces along from it ? Furrowing her brow , she indicated left, and pulled up outside the shop just a gap or two along from Peter's. The increasing thud tempo of her heart grew progressively more staccato as she trotted the couple of paces along what was now a very quiet pavement - that corner of town certainly seemed to be winding down from business mode quite quickly as dusk stole in and rapidly and silently arranged itself. She creaked open the door of the unit - an unlit downstairs room seemed of little immediate relevance - but at the head of the staircase which stretched up straight ahead of her was a frosted glass door, behind which shone a single light bulb and from where emanated voices - two, or was it three ..? - the tone certainly sounded heated - argumentative even - but then a sound that needed no searching for assaulted her senses both externally and from withing - as the disputing voices reached a crescendo - the unmistakable if slightly muffled sound of a shot rang out.....

Diesel sat with his elbow jammed hard on the wooden slats of the small table, gnawing furiously at his fingernails. It shouldn't have happened like this - it SHOULDN'T have happened like this - they were MEANT to have walked along that path TOGETHER - then... everything should have been TOGETHER - she'd always loved him of course - and hadn't she come back for him ?? - and WITH him too - it had all been going so perfectly...He jumped convulsively and shot to the window of the small semi-cottage on hearing a car passing outside - you didn't get much flow of traffic up this high on the hill to his knowledge , and he most certainly wasn't on the lookout for any company. The car had well gone by now, but he remained almost dangerously taut and hyper-sensitive. Indeed, he wasn't even aware of who if anybody owned this almost claustrophobically small dwelling - - but if they wanted to come and argue the toss with him - he was ready for them.

His nervously jerking movements continued as he veered back to the table, thumping his fist on it as he plunged back down. - - NO , he thought savagely - it had to be EVERYTHING ending NOW - it was just MEANT to be that way ! He stopped, fingering the inside pocket of his loose-fitting jacket. Just because it hadn't gone to plan this far wasn't HIS fault - - WAS it ? But he could still make sure - - he began to unscrew the lid of the bottle of high-strength aspirin and began to count , smiling a twisted smile as he did. MORE than enough for..... He stopped - his eye caught by the small, relaxed dance being performed by some late-stage flames in a traditional coal fire in the corner. The smile widened as he rose and spotted a box of matches on the shelf above the fireplace . PERFECT - clean and final -and they could be TOGETHER....His glance rotated thoughtfully - lingering momentarily , then giving a slow, decisive nod.

Slightly less than ten minutes away down the hill outside, Flynn and Jesse were imploring a ponderously-spoken and even more laboriously-thinking local policeman to think if he'd seen anything unusual in the locality that evening, or if there was anywhere he could think that they may not have looked. Even if the thin blue line could perform the unexpected and suggest heading for the isolated cabin above it was severely open to question as to who- or what - if anything - they may actually find there.....

Archived