Cast members who left before their contract was up?

Homeandawayfan.

Just now, joany208121 said:

It is a shame though, as Leah doesnt have the "iconic" status to her as what Sally does.

They're both iconic in different ways though, when you think of Sally you think of how she grew up on the show and was much loved by everyone. Also the fact that she found "the one" in Flynn, it's a shame that he passed away as it would have been great for a character as iconic as Sally to have a happy ending considering at the time of Flynn's departure she was 18 years into her character which is massive.

Even though Sally is definitely more iconic, Leah is definitely iconic too in her own way of course. I feel like it is mainly due to her family which I feel is probably one of the most underrated situations throughout the entire series because we have seen VJ Patterson from Day 1 of his life to present, and although they aged him by 3 years (which I think was understandable as the writer's eventual goal was for him to be the next Sally, I don't see why people should fuss that they aged him), the fact that for the last 15 years she has been raising him makes her iconic. Another thing which is basically the second half of her family situation is her many spouses and the fact that she has been dubbed as cursing them as they have traditionally always ended up dying on her, but aside from the fact that they've died none of the deaths have occurred on screen. The first one was Vinnie whom I don't know the full story exactly but he ended up in prison then witness protection from what I believe, and sadly passed away whilst in witness protection, however I am led to believe that he actually faked his death because the date was September 2008 and he would have known that the chances of ever meeting his son were incredibly slim due to circumstances, so him faking his death is what I believe occurred despite nobody finding out until 18 months later (the fact that it took that long makes its more likely that he is gone than not) But I feel like that entire situation has such a great legacy in VJ's character being born that if there was a twist where Vinnie never actually died it would go from good to great and be such a massive twist that I would like to see. Leah's second husband was Dan and he passed away in an unfortunate abseiling accident whilst in America where Leah and VJ were going to join him a couple of months later. Although it occurred off-screen and his body I believe was shipped to the bay, There is a slight chance that Dan faked his death as we never saw it, and he may have felt bad that Leah and VJ were about to leave as well and figured that they should stay in the bay (even though it sounds crazy to risk your life to keep someone in another country it's still something that he could have chosen to do), but I'd say that is extremely unlikely as Drew his nephew was still in the bay at the time and he fell depressed from it all. But basically losing 2 husbands in 8 years and raising a child to adulthood makes Leah so iconic but definitely underrated to many in my opinion. Obviously she has had very many partners throughout the journey but it was Leah every step of the way

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Si-Co said:

I believe Laurie Foel left her role as Josie before her contact was up. 

"Unfortunately, when we came to map out the show for the second half of 2005, the storylines were moving in such a direction that a few characters were left side-lined. Josie, regrettably, was one of them, so the decision was made to rest the character."

2 hours ago, Matt said:

"Unfortunately, when we came to map out the show for the second half of 2005, the storylines were moving in such a direction that a few characters were left side-lined. Josie, regrettably, was one of them, so the decision was made to rest the character."

Can you say where that info came from Matt?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Do you know if that was the same with Henry Hunter by any chance? He wasn't around for very long at all

I heard that he left on his own terms (to focus on school apparently), which is understanable as at the time he was a high school student. However he didn't seem to accomplish very much of note so it makes me wonder whether it was a mutual decision for him to go. Considering a couple of months after his departure was when Lucas arrived as well, it was either rushed so he could replace Henry, or planned so Lucas and Henry met

On 20/01/2017 at 11:21 AM, Matt said:

Jesse was another character that left around the same time as Josie and Henry, so I wonder if he fell under this category too. In my opinion, he didn't do much of note during his 2002-2005 stint. All I can remember of those years was that he was Leah's love interest (I remember actively disliking them as a pairing) and when they broke up, he was engaged to Josie before the aborted wedding. They could have explored Rachel a bit more, but I think she was only mentioned once or twice when Jesse returned and that was about it :blink:

Having said that, Jesse left around three years after he returned, so he might not have his contract renewed as opposed to leaving before his contract was up.

Slightly off-topic, but I never understood his exit either - his ex fiancee left a few weeks prior, so they could have reunited them and give them a happy ending or had him leave with Chloe (who he claimed to be in love with before killing her) and Olivia... or failing those options, he could have moved to Queensland to reconnect with Rachel.

Archived