Changing Back Stories/Cutting Corners?

Guest stra gilr

I think any use of a character's history can possibly mean laziness - if it's just something they can bring up to explain something or get the storyline moving - like getting sympathy for Kane by suddenly giving him scars out of nowhere. Seemed like a cop out for me to explain him in that way, although not necessarily hugely contradictory with what we had seen previously. And since it became a part of his ongoing storyline, it did seem worth making that new piece of history known, even if it did come from laziness.

So the *very slight* rewrite of actually shown information on the show (not website) of Hyde's backstory could be worth it if it becomes a part of his ongoing stories - perhaps it could play a part in his downfall or something.

I can't explain Ric's away though. That really is quite shabby. I mean even a few throwaway lines in the Diner, along the lines of "I can't drink any more of that OJ right now, I've got to think about my diabetes" would do for me. Just something. I'd forgotten that he was diabetic until I'd opened up this page.

I think rewrites are OK if they're justified. They're justified when they are rewritten because of an ongoing storyline, something that will have a lasting impact. And if they're only slight.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. I was rather surprised that they have done such a big switch on some of the back stories as in the past Home and Away has always been very good at sticking with these things. A slight change can be justfied as Jay Preston says if it is done well, has a lasting impact, and they do something with it. Wholesale changes for a story line which will never be mentioned again are never justified. They do seem to be doing a lot of self contained stories at present which do not lead anywhere. I dont think that to call it lazy is a fair comment, its more like they are playing safe because they think it will keep the ratings up. Sadly I think they may be misguided if that is why they are doing it.

Yep ratings, I'm sure that plays a big factor. And I'm sure Daniel Bennett can't be 100% to blame. Channel 7 are probably puting enormous pressure on the show to keep the ratings up, which means DB might not be getting the chance to turn the drama down a bit.

I agree with what someone else said about the showing seeming like a factory production line, one drama after another with nothing linking them and nothing really coming of them. Once one drama is over it's done and dusted and another starts. Like the storyline with Olivia. Irene was so emotional and involved in that storyline, it was probably her biggest couple of weeks in the show for years, then once it was over Olivia wasn't even mentioned again! It was like it had never happened.

• 4 months later...

Interesting comments here..we need some writers though to give us their take on it all...it can't be that black and white...or is it...mmmmm?????

hint.... Bevan...Coral...Daniel...anyone.....? :D  :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh stra gilr...

I wasn't around to read this strand and only saw your message to me today - three months too late!!!!

I haven't watched the show on well over a year, so i just can't really comment - but there has to be a happy medium between my long draw out emotional examinations of people and the apparent plethora of stalkers, murders, crimes and other anomolies...

But then I've never been that interested in things that happen....only in WHY they happen and what makes people tick. like one poster said...it has to be about the characters.

Sorry it took me three months...well four actually...but I didn't want you to think I was being rude or ignoring you.

Cheers

Coral

Thanks Coral, nice to hear from you.

I had forgotten all about this thread, and thinking about the discussions we have had since I wonder if everyone still thinks the same as they did all those months ago...it seems longer....:lol:.... I know I oscilate at times, I really like Barry these days, especially when he is with Irene, although I am not totally convinced by the change to his history, but it was a very good story. I think Chatter box is right, it must be frustrating for the actors., but it does not seem to bother them much as there have been some mega peformances this last year. I would be really interested to hear Daniel's take on all this....any chance of that do you think? :D

but it does not seem to bother them much as there have been some mega peformances this last year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because they want to get paid! Doesn't mean they're not bothered about the crap writing. I know for a fact a certain cast member was very aggirvated by a storyline we're seeing now in the UK.

Archived