Cameron thrives out of the limelight

Guest Andy

Home reunion

By PHILLIP KOCH

Copyright 2005 News Ltd. All Rights Reserved

3 July 2005

FORMER Home and Away star Cameron Welsh used to be mobbed in Australia and Britain but these days he can be found on the other side of the camera.

"I realised acting wasn't what I wanted to do but directing was," said Welsh, 28.

He played Mitch in Home and Away but now works as a director on All Saints -- and occasionally on the soap that made him a star from 1998 to 2000.

Welsh will, however, return to Summer Bay this Friday for a reunion with a dozen other former castmates to celebrate its 4000th episode.

"It's always been a great training ground as an actor and it's proving to be so for me as a director," he said.

Others who reunited for the milestone include Debra Lawrance (Pippa), Normal Coburn (Fisher), Kristy Wright (Chloe), Rebekah Elmaloglou (Sophie) and Brendan McKensy (Duncan).

Former teen idol Les Hill (Blake), Fiona Spence (Celia), Peter Vroom (Lance), Ryan Clark (Sam), Laura Vasquez-Goldsmith (Sarah), Zac Drayson (Will) and Barbara Stephens (Barbara) will also feature.

Welsh, who was surprised to be recognised by fans on a trip to London earlier this year, said he has no regrets about dropping out of the limelight.

"I thought those days were over," he admitted. "It doesn't happen that often."

But not all the former castmates have slipped back into obscurity, with Melissa George, Julian McMahon, Danni Minogue and Isla Fisher all starting their careers in Summer Bay.

Even Hollywood stars Heath Ledger and Naomi Watts have guest starred in the series.

Welsh said winning a role on Home and Away changed his life even if it didn't lead to stardom when he left the soap opera five years ago.

"It was the best thing that happened to me because it got me into what I'm doing now," he said. "As a director you get to be across all the stories and know all the actors -- in that sense it can be quite satisfying and fulfilling."

Former teen idol Les Hill (Blake), Fiona Spence (Celia), Peter Vroom (Lance), Ryan Clark (Sam), Laura Vasquez-Goldsmith (Sarah), Zac Drayson (Will) and Barbara Stephens (Barbara) will also feature.

Barbara was a teen idol?! :lol: Surely she should've gone in the first batch of names?!

Archived