Going downhill

Lunar

I used to prefer Neighbours to H&A admittedly (mostly just because I appreciated that it was more diverse, where as H&A is more of an escape from reality), but the storylines lately have been kind of dumb and overdramatic.

I loved Sonya's cancer storyline (although felt it was very rushed). The acting was great so it felt very real, but since then its just been a bit of a mess.

Elly with her relationship and baby drama, all of the inter-family dating (Leo/Therese/Paul, Bea/Ned/Elly, Mark/Elly/Chloe, Kyle/Amy/Gary...), the Finn stuff...Don't get me wrong, I love drama but I'm definitely preferring the drama of H&A lately.

2 hours ago, Lunar said:

I used to prefer Neighbours to H&A admittedly (mostly just because I appreciated that it was more diverse, where as H&A is more of an escape from reality), but the storylines lately have been kind of dumb and overdramatic.

I feel exactly the same way.

Historically, I have much preferred N but I had to stop watching nearly a year ago and from what I read is happening now and coming up I can't ever see me viewing again. Such a shame.

I can't even bring myself to say the F word and what they are doing to Elly is just crazy.

Really can't see who they are trying to appeal to, as long term viewers must be switching off in droves.

I've had VERY long gaps between watching H&A but I'm really enjoying the show and the mix of characters at the moment.

3 hours ago, baywatcher said:

I feel exactly the same way.

Historically, I have much preferred N but I had to stop watching nearly a year ago and from what I read is happening now and coming up I can't ever see me viewing again. Such a shame.

I can't even bring myself to say the F word and what they are doing to Elly is just crazy.

Really can't see who they are trying to appeal to, as long term viewers must be switching off in droves.

I've had VERY long gaps between watching H&A but I'm really enjoying the show and the mix of characters at the moment.

I'm struggling to see who they're trying to appeal to as well. I'm guessing younger viewers as it did seem they scrapped Sonya for a lot of younger characters - Finn, Roxy, the new Robinson who is meant to be joining, but its become a bit overrun with twenty-thirty somethings now.

I don't think anyone has been happy about Finn becoming a regular - he already came back once when Bea arrived so it seems they're really dragging it out now.

Another thing that annoys me is the constant plugging of Bonnie's music. I get she was a singer first but it feels like an episode of X Factor when they're all 'vote for me!', trying to get you to buy her single. I liked that when H&A has shown music, its always been actors that can carry a tune but aren't plugging anything - its just been strictly for the show.

3 minutes ago, Lunar said:

I'm struggling to see who they're trying to appeal to as well. I'm guessing younger viewers as it did seem they scrapped Sonya for a lot of younger characters - Finn, Roxy, the new Robinson who is meant to be joining, but its become a bit overrun with twenty-thirty somethings now.

I don't think anyone has been happy about Finn becoming a regular - he already came back once when Bea arrived so it seems they're really dragging it out now.

Do younger people even watch the show?

I don't have a problem with younger characters but if the storylines they are given aren't believable or interesting, then how do the writers expect viewers to invest in the characters?

F is the main reason I stopped watching.  Even if making him a cast regular and adding him to the credits (a la Cassius) is just a ruse and he will get his comeuppance for his crimes, it may be too late, as the damage has already been done.

12 minutes ago, baywatcher said:

Do younger people even watch the show?

I don't have a problem with younger characters but if the storylines they are given aren't believable or interesting, then how do the writers expect viewers to invest in the characters?

F is the main reason I stopped watching.  Even if making him a cast regular and adding him to the credits (a la Cassius) is just a ruse and he will get his comeuppance for his crimes, it may be too late, as the damage has already been done.

I'm not sure, I feel like its mostly younger-late 20s watching now, and it used to be popular amongst teens when it was more focused on school. (Probably the same for H&A)

I just find it hard to buy into for that reason. Like I've never bought that he's 'changed' or can't remember, and that it seems like just an act (even though they've gone through great lengths to redeem him and make it seem genuine) so dragging it out just seems pointless.

21 minutes ago, Trudy Heine said:

What's wrong with Ellie? Said she has a secret or something

I'm not watching but from what I read (with hands covering my face), Elly has cheated on new hubby Mark with F's brother Shaun and got herself pregnant and is now trying to cover her tracks by using an ultrasound photo of Mark's unborn child Caitlin.

I think that this is a truly awful storyline.  Poor Jodi.  She must dread going in to work every day having to act out utter rubbish like this.  Come back to H&A.

1 hour ago, Trudy Heine said:

Seen parts of Sonya's death, poor Toadie. What's wrong with Ellie? Said she has a secret or something

To add on from what baywatcher said, she'd also trying to keep Leo from blabbing (as he knows) and her doctor too. Also the doctor's son knows as he read her file and is using it to blackmail her as a teacher, so she's bumping up his grades and agreed to buy him alcohol.

I preferred her when she was the kind of hot mess who was drinking all the time! ?

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Elly told Mark the baby isn't his the other day.

I'm not sure why I'm still watching this show because I agree that the writing has been ridiculous for some time.I much preferred it to HAA at one point but there's currently not a single story I'm invested in and I want to light myself on fire every time I hear that stupid song Bea is constantly singing.

Archived