The Sutherland Family - thoughts?

adam436

On 09/03/2019 at 17:37, Matt said:

Of Bevan's decision to write out Rhys (and Max), he said in a 2004 BTTB interview: "I preferred to lose Rhys and Max through a very human story of a man falling in love with his first wife again."

Interesting. I noticed a number of changes around that time, notably the decision to return the show to its roots and have Flynn and Sally start their own foster family at the caravan park, so I guess Rhys and Max was lost was part of that. A number of cast were written out around late 2004/early 2005 too, no doubt casualties of the change in direction - Kirsty and Kane, Dani, Noah, Jesse and Josie. 

The 2004 finale felt like the closing on an era to me, as 2005 began with ramped up drama.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:37, Matt said:

I had planned a pregnancy for them, which threw the whole family into disarray (Kirsty and Beth pregnant together) and then …because of her age…. The baby has problems – will be disabled…and she has to make the decision whether or not to go full term. She decides to terminate – for the baby’s sake….Rhys is outraged and leaves her. Kirsty and even Kit turns against her….you killed a baby….they can’t understand her dilemma…. that she felt it not fair to bring a really disabled baby into the world. Hopefully it would have played with the same intensity as the Rhys infidelity and the Kirsty/Kane story."

I think Beth would have lost herself many fans during that storyline, depending on how it was written. I can see both sides of the argument, but I think many viewers would have turned against her, given how maternal she always was. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2019 at 07:30, adam436 said:

Interesting. I noticed a number of changes around that time, notably the decision to return the show to its roots and have Flynn and Sally start their own foster family at the caravan park, so I guess Rhys and Max was lost was part of that. A number of cast were written out around late 2004/early 2005 too, no doubt casualties of the change in direction - Kirsty and Kane, Dani, Noah, Jesse and Josie. 

The 2004 finale felt like the closing on an era to me, as 2005 began with ramped up drama.

I think Beth would have lost herself many fans during that storyline, depending on how it was written. I can see both sides of the argument, but I think many viewers would have turned against her, given how maternal she always was. 

But Beth was a very clear character and easy to read. I think it wouldn’t as I think fans would see her point of view easily. 

Archived