Oscar MacGuire - Jake Speer

shyongirl

I was just thinking about this as well. Each generation of teenaged Home and Away characters (born 1982-1984 such as Will or Dani, 1985-1987 such as Nick or Robbie, 1988-1990 such as Ric or Mattie, 1991-1994 such as Indi or Casey, and now 1995/6-1998 such as Sasha or Jett and including Oscar) seems to have the trademark nerdy character, who seems to always be a guy:

• 1982-1984 was Edward Dunglass
  • 1985-1987 was Robbie Hunter
  • 1988-1990 was Lucas Holden
  • 1991-1994 was Dex Walker

So I think that Oscar is that character for the 1995-1998 group. I think he's a lovely character.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's hope that it is a long-running storyline, and not something that seems to not exist a short time later. I recall that in 2006, Mattie Hunter was at some retreat for bulimia after receiving burns in the barn explosion, yet she was playing strip poker in a bikini with Belle, Ric and Lucas a mere few months later. With no regard to possible lingering body image issues. Oscar's storyline is one that deserves continuation. I don't know how, but it does.

• Like 1

I remember Casey had panic attack at his court case and I was thinking he would again after his whole no legs, Barrett is my dad thing, or Tam fell for my brother but they left it out to be a one time thing. I suspect next year this will all be forgotten and whenever something else happens they won't even mention Oscar is still taking medication for his troubles and may deal with it in another way.

• Like 1

That's true, but I think people are saying that Josh's difficulties with studying are possibly linked to Casey's dyslexia. And Heath and Casey are the managers of the gym. I highly doubt that Heath would take the responsibility to manage the books. It would be good if we saw Oscar's counsellor or if Leah had regular meetings with him (as she's the school counsellor) to check on him. On Neighbours, we still have recurring references to Imogen Willis' bulimia storyline with mentions of seeing her counsellor or completing her food diary. And this is over 6 months later. If they can still do that more than 6 months later than the main storyline, so can Home and Away. And I loved Jake Speer's acting in this storyline. I'm also shocked by Evie and their friends being so uninvolved with this storyline. You had Evie and Spencer involved for that one episode where Oscar was taken to hospital after the courtcase, but otherwise, it's only been Zac, Hannah, Andy, Nate, Sophie and Leah involved. And John a bit as well.