Out Of The Shadows

Guest WYN100

CHAPTER EIGHT

“Now you’re ABSOLUTELY guaranteeing to me you’ve ditched that gun !!” Bianca was emphasizing her point with multiple jabs of the forefinger to the shoulder blade region of Liam’s ‘Train !” t-shirt while he stood, arms raised in the manner of an apprehended Chicago gangster with an officer’s revolver jabbed in his spine “

“I TOLD you babe , it’s in the sea, and depending on the tide it’s probably half-way to Tazzy by now !!” The forefinger lowered its line of attack and instead homed in on the Murphy ribcage with five final stinging thrusts “ Well –it-better-HAD-bucko !!” .

“Hey Miss it seems like you Bonnie more than me Clyde with that offensive weapon ! “ he smiled, swatting the forefinger in question away , whipping his jacket from the bottom of the stairs and planted a kiss on her cheek before slipping out of the front door.

Turning towards the kitchen still shaking her head in uncomprehending frustration Bianca said “You know Irene I STILL can’t believe he could have been STUPID enough to go getting himself a gun, JUST because Watson says Pirovitch’s gang MAY have done to him when that plane crashed because of the connection through me-Heath-Brax etc etc. BUT –I THINK I’ve got through that thick skull of his !!” she commented, extending two crossed fingers in Irene’s direction and beginning to munch a piece of toast she’d picked up from a plate on which Irene was placing them.

“Well darl’ I ain’t never read a story where a gun formed part of a happy ever after that’s for sure !”

She blinked in a measure of sudden surprise as Bianca stepped forward and placed both arms around her in a hug of genuine affection. “Well what the Dickens was THAT for Missy !! – not that it wasn’t appreciated of course !!”

“Oh Irene, I’m just so lucky to have you in my life – particularly at times like this.-like a perfect mum !.” She stepped back , a minor frown shimmering in from her temples “I mean it’s not like I’ve got a real mother of my own I can call on –not one worthy of the name, that is !!” As Irene reciprocated the hug Bianca swatted the air and said “No, not going there ! I’ve got you, I’ve got old knucklehead out there and I know that with the people I have around me there’s the odd bump in the road yes, like with Al Capone out there, but overall I COULDN’T be happier and that’s QUITE a precious gift !!

Stepping forward to resume the ongoing ‘group hug’ Irene responded genuinely “Darl it’s my PLEASURE, and for what it’s worth I think we’ve all got a pretty good thing going here too !” As she patted Bianca fondly on the back, the picture of domestic bliss they’d sincerely sketched out between them would have been seismically undermined had they been able to witness the meeting in which Liam was at that very moment engaged…..

Once again Forrester was sat behind his desk headmaster-style, a grave expression adorning his features – only on this occasion there were TWO semi-nervy , semi-recalcitrant figures sitting in front of him instead of one. Thumb and forefinger placed on his two cheekbones he looked slowly from one face to the other, that rotating glance turning into a slow shake of the head before the digits were lowered and the senior officer opened up with “Well Constable Austin, I’ve got to say I’m very very – impressed with the way you handled the bold Councillor Ryan today –the caution easing into the night in question –and….” He paused to cough a little sardonically…”despite certain events….we’ve got him to a place where we can look fa bi-t8 further into what he’s up to,,,”

Xavier’s smile of receipt was insipid at best as he had more than a fair idea what was coming next – and he wasn’t mistaken.

“But as for YOU Miss..” He turned to Ruby, already holding up his hand with correct instinct to forestall an expected response “….your behaviour was unacceptable, irresponsible and borderline illegal !” Ruby being Ruby was biting back the combative response rising inside her and winced slightly as Xavier aimed a restraining albeit minor kick at her shin, That warning went unobserved by Forrester as he continued “Not only was it against ALL accepted procedure as I’m only too sure that Constable Austin could confirm, but it could possibly jeopardize our case against the Councillor –IF he chooses to approach it that way !” As Ruby continued to seethe silently – but sensibly- she was slightly surprised to hear Forrester continue “…but I will say I admire your spirit, AND your intervention did seem to help cure Councillor Ryan’s temporary amnesia about the night in question ! “ As he saw her about to respond, he raised his forefinger annd added “BUT – there is a time and place for everything – as I’m sure Constable Austin will agree……”

“Oh, yes, yes….” From the other chair.

“Now, Constable Austin and I have various things to discuss, so we’ll bid farewell for now….”

Still chafing a little at not being invited to speak, she thanked him and headed for the door, but before she could open it, Forrester spoke one more time “ “Oh Miss Buckton….” –she turned – “Serious question for you – have you ever considered becoming a Police Constable ? She leant back from the door handle, catching Xavier’s eye as she did . and the characteristic combination of mischief and excitement suddenly restored to he face.. Now THAT was a thought….!! Was suddenly ping-ponging around the inside of her mind……

Indi turned her car up the farm driveway and gave a deep sigh almost in synchrony with the change of power from the automatic gearbox below her. It had been another trying day at college, not just for the normal gruelling round of lectures and assignments, but also for a problem that had been niggling away at her for the past two or three weeks and with which she’d been wrestling with whether to confide in Romeo about.

Over that time she’d become progressively convinced that her IT and computing lecturer Russ Simcox had been coming on to her, Aged 41 but certainly able to pass for 10 years younger, there’d been a succession of knowing winks, over-interested enquiries about her social life and one or two avoidable but nonetheless choreographed close-up brushes in the corridor that had set her thoughts racing. All were arguably explainable in themselves but added together and allied to that indefinable but powerful tool of a woman’s instinct had her keenly weighing up whether or not tonight was the night to confide her doubts in Romeo - - or whether doing that may open up what could still prove to be an unnecessary Pandora’s Box of trouble. Having parked in front of the wooden decking she found the front door ajar, doubtless from the oppressive heat of the day. Stepping inside and preparing to call out a greeting, she paused on hearing the unmistakeable voice of Roneo, obviously engaged on a phone call. As she did, she heard him enunciate clearly “ yes, the expiry is October pf 2015 - - - and the name on the card - - - Sidney J Walker..”

Out in the passage Indi’s mouth dropped open, her feet feeling as if they’d been welded to the floor. Her day had instantly become a whole lot more complicated……

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

?CHAPTER NINE

Roman sat in front of his computer in the small flat above the surf shop where he now worked and heaved a deep tearing sigh. As he struggled to quell the Catherine wheel of thoughts and emotions that he felt at times we hurtling him towards a precipice in his life he figured that despite all he’d been through, none of it felt worse than this.

There’d been his period of blindness, being forced into armed robbery by the malign return of Gardy into his life, the resulting prison term, then effectively being disowned by Nicole, who indeed could now be anywhere in the world as far as he knew.

But, on returning to the Bay, loneliness had quickly become the smothering adversary that it all too easily can. Many he’d known previously like Jack, Aiden and Miles were no longer around for the whole gamut of reasons and those remaining such as Leah, Alf and naturally Colleen treated him with cool ‘civility’ at best.

So, in between shifts at the shop downstairs , his computer had become both his salvation and best friend – and also where he’d encountered one very special lady who’d lifted his life higher than he could ever have imagined- and was now the reason why his heart felt it was being shattered like a wrecking ball going through a defunct glass window time and again until every last shard had been methodically removed.

He’d met Elizabeth from South Carolina in a chatroom, but very soon it had become evident this as more – far more than just an on-screen friendship. They even shared the same birthdate, even though she was a few years younger, and very soon – via the wonder of cheap International call plans, it quickly graduated to a phone relationship, with calls two and three times a day to which he looked forward with huge anticipation and hunger . Time zones and night-day differences meant nothing to them and their incredible soul-mate rapport meant there was precisely zero subjects that were taboo between them.

Declarations of love inevitably followed, first from her, then after a period of somewhat token internal wrestling, he’d confessed the same while being treated at Summer Bay Hospital for a severe infection that had flared following a surfing wound.

Underpinning the whole dynamic was the fact that she was effectively separated from a husband over-fond of the bottle and preparing for divorce.

HOWEVER – and it was a big however – she had increasingly built up hints, semi-formal requests and now bomb heavy hints about coming to join him and start a new life in Australia. But there was another HOWEVER. For fairly obvious reasons he’d never told her about the prison stay or the events leading up to it, nor had he mentioned the existence of his wife or Nicole, and that was a cocktail into which he wasn’t QUITE yet ready to bring the lady he loved.

However – she’d taken this as a sign that in some way his love was less than hers – something that simply COULDN’T have been further from the truth and now would speak to or text him only intermittently, and had invisibly, almost overnight shifted the dynamic of their relationship in HER perspective from deeply in love partners to ‘dear friends’ something that was causing him genuine grief for the life they had shared so intensely together and which seemed to have splintered without notice or warning, even allowing for the ‘travel’ issue. .

Throwing back a 4th vodka shot within the last 20 minutes and wiped away a welling tear. out of his MP3 player came THEIR song “Built to last” by Melee at a volume intended-but failing-to be consoling “ But this is real and this is good, it warms the inside just like it should…..” – he’d stressed to her he’d always love her and be there for her, but now with the vodka haze beginning to envelop him and his leaden heart continuing to plunge, the paracetamol bottle sitting on the adjacent table started to take on a sudden interest value

Marilyn fussed happily at the Caravan Park dining table, looking thoroughly in her element.It had been rare of late that anyone had directly asked for a Tarot reading, but today that had changed.

Anthony Stokes had sat long and patiently in a lay-by a little way down the road waiting for Roo’s car to emerge and signify her departure. Once it had, he’d waited a while, then arced the Council vehicle slowly out and then up the Park driveway before stopping and going in. Feigning surprise at finding Marilyn alone – “Oh hi – uh, no Roo , I see !”

“Oh no, what a shame, you’ve just missed her !!” Tutting and clucking as if beset by some far greater misfortune, she offered him a cup of tea which he pretended to hesitate over before accepting and using it artfully as a doorstep into the conversation he’d been meticulously planning to have. His previous casual but finely choreographed ‘

pumping’ of Roo was paying dividends as he gently eased in with “ I hear you’ve got your own hairdressing business, that must be exciting – and so enterprising of you !”

A roseate blush flickered across her cheeks as she smilingly-and predictably looked to deflect the compliments “Oh – well, it’s really not that much you know, and….”

“Nonsense !..” – his conversational satnav was still well on course “Show me a lady that doesn’t need her hair done in quality style …- and in such charming company !” Marilyn’s flattered…simper grew more exaggerated. He finished his drink, placed it on the table and commented “Well, I’d better get out of your way – thank you for the hospitality ! Oh, I…oh no, don’t worry about it…”

“Oh no, do go on, what…!” Marily’s curiosity had been pricked, exac0tly as the man had wanted.. ”Is there something I can get you or something….?” He continued to simulate diffidence “Oh, no , well not REALLY – it’s just – and I hope you don’t mind me asking..”

“Of COURSE not !”

“Well. I HEARD that you did Tarot readings, I’ve always been interested in that kind of thing, and I just WOND…”

Leaping up to snatch her .pack of cards she again cut him short - “Of COURSE I don’t mind . –in fact I INSIST !!”

So, picking up her pack she set in down next to him, and as they sat – at his request – alongside each other, and with a serious expression now having set up home on her face, she began the reading. With an interested half-smile and nod, she turned a card she informed him was beneficial for travel - both of the above grew wider as the next card apparently boded well for money, and she was positively purring when a third choice saw her declare “Oh Anthony, you’re going to find LOVE ! – well I mean of course you know that anyway, at least half-way..”

She broke off as Anthony saw a light come on – his chance had arrived, He placed one finger on her lips, one hand on her shoulder and said “Marilyn, can’t you tell – I think it’s already happened !” As he moved in to kiss her softly on the lips, the computer-style part of his brain flashed up on-screen ‘All going to plan !”

And so it would have been, had it not been for the arrival – un-noticed by both – through the kitchen door, of a gaping Roo………..

“But seriously Rubes, you CAN’T really be thinking about what he said – you a Police Constable !!”

Immediately striking her trademark defiant pose and flourishing the paper napkin that had come with their Chinese takeaway supper , she responded pugnaciously “Oh YES bucko - you reckoning I couldn’t do it are you !!”

Realizing his semi-provocational faux pas, Xavier held up both hands in the absence of any convenient white flag – “No, no babe, not at all !” – but, succumbing to the temptation of not quitting when he was marginally ahead, he slipped in “But you’ve never mentioned being a cop, have you ! Teacher mmm , surfer YES, but cop ! – that’s a new one on us all !”

“Ok, ok she countered, pushing aside the cartons of Cantonese beef and toffee bananas and placing her elbow square down in an arm-wrestling challenge to her other half. . Smiling indulgently and shaking his head, he pushed his own arm hard down on the table and battle was joined. He had to admit Ruby’s strength was greater than he’d thought, but with his back to the window he was more than susceptible to her sucker punch of pointing, calling “ Oh my gosh, look at THAT !!” Then, as he turned and weakened his grip, she slammed his arm to the table , punching the air in celebration.

“Oy, YOU !!! “ he grumbled, yanking her arm back in place for the rematch. Thumbing her nose at him with another wide smile, she settled down for round two. This – another close contest – was again destined to be interrupted as this time Xavier’s work mobile gave a shrill blast.

“Leave it !” mouthed Ruby through the gritted teeth of battle, but – dutifully dropping her arm to the accompaniment of a disappointed tut from her, he replied “You KNOW I can’t Rubes !” and – poking his tongue out at her as he rounded the sofa “Nor will YOU if YOU join the force !!”

Receiving a reciprocal extended tongue in his direction, the good humour dropped quickly from his features on answering the call.

“Yes – hi, …what !!, when ? ? ? Right – I’ll be there !!” Phone dropping onto the sofa next to her as his arms swung to his sides. Looking up in concern, she enquired “Well Xave, what is it ! ?” Colour slowly draining from his face he responded slowly “It’s,… it’s Hugo !! – looks like -- - apparently - - seems like, …he’s back !!!!! “

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER TEN

Indi stood open-mouthed at the living room door, rooted by a combination of uncertainty about what she’d heard and what to say next. Romeo for his part was struck equally silent, his lack of any spoken expression motivated by guilt – his face expressing that emotion louder than the most shrill of PA systems dispensing information to a football or rugby crowd.

Eventually the seconds which had seemed to morph into hours were broken and Indi shuffled forward. Rooted by a tapestry of doubt about what she’d heard and what she should do about she began “Romeo, did I just hear wha….”

Cutting across her, Romeo reached straight for the inevitable first resort of the ‘outed’ culprit in such situations – “Indi , I can explain, it’s not what it seems….” Her thoroughly justifiable disputing of that claim was however interrupted by the irritated bumping open of the front door and the sound of Sid’s voice, clearly already deep into a conversation.

“..yes I’m MORE than certain there should be more in the balance than that – and I’ve told both you and a number of your colleagues that I HAVEN’T made a mistake, and I’d like it looked into and SORTED just as soon as possible ! Oh I’m sure you DO appreciate my frustration, but if you’d seen me after 25 minutes of Greensleeves and being assured my call was important to you, you’d have had a LOT more to appreciate. I can assure you of THAT ! Right, yes- THANK you !!”

Putting the phone down on the bookshelf, still too preoccupied to absorb the prevailing tense atmosphere he went on “Sorry you two – you wouldn’t BELIEVE the hassle I’ve been having with the bank..”

In fact of course both of them could imagine it only too graphically, but neither being able to find suitable enough words to cut him short, he ploughed on regardless. “They’re claiming – IF you please – that my current account is around six hundred dollars lighter than it should be !!”

As Indi flashed Romeo a meaningful glance, Sid had produced a bank statement seemingly from thin air and with a flourish akin to a magician revealing a dove from an eggcup, and prodding it irately with his forefinger said “Look ! An online GROCERY firm – firstly I wouldn’t be able to find one of those things if Mr Google himself gave me a guided tour and secondly I rather like doing my shopping with a trolley in front of me, so I can SEE what I’m throwing into it !“

Tapping his finger further and with easing exasperation down the rows of the statement he said “And just LOOK at THIS the “NU VOGUE boutique in Yabbie Creek - I mean I think you can imagine Dex’s views on me as a style icon !!! – and a HUNDRED and thirty five dollars too !!!! I mean ….”

And then, as if with a light going on – albeit in an entirely wrong room –he paused, looked up at his daughter, and asked, pointedly – “A boutique…Indi ..is there anything you’d like to tell me,,,,!”

There was, in fact, a great deal that she wanted to tell him, but her tongue once again.-as earlier – had become frozen into inaction..

?

Harvey’s tone was low and urgent as he spoke into the hone mouthpiece clamped hard to his lips “No, YOU listen ! I am NOT going to be the fall guy in all this, and so help me if I go down, then I’ll take you down t….”

As the volume rose at the other end of the connection Harvey’s voice became an edge less steely but it was far from a full u-turn he’d performed as he went on “ALL I was apparently needed for was to get those formed signed by Austin – now I have an official demand to share the royal presence of some Superintendent or High Inspector or Prince Royal Forrester or some such thing next week and I !! – that’s ME NOT you could be facing charges of corruption, conspiracy, fraud and howlonghaveyougot !!!! So -you got any suggestions !!”

He sat back, pursing his lips and listening to the response from the other end of the line. Neutral at first, his facial expression became. Interested then alert but also determined as he demanded “Hang on are you SURE ! I thought he was WELL off the scene ! oh, so if that’s correct I think it’s a nailed ON way of cleaning OUR hands and dirty those of a certain constable – just leave it to me !!”

The issue of the planned development for Summer Bay had taken another murky turn….

“Look mate , I thought I’d be seeing Sid about this, you know….”

Heath was sitting uncomfortably in Dr West’s office at the hospital, Nurse Julie also in attendance, sitting with some files in the corner of the room.

“Yes, unfortunately Dr Walker’s done a double shift today and gone home but I’ve got all t he relevant information about your daughter’s case, so there’s no gap there I can assure you …”

Head semi-hung Heath replied in low tones “Ok then, so what’s it all about Doc, what is the score with Darce ?”

With a short sigh, West shuffled papers and be gan – “Well – you remember when you brought her in because she was always tired, a bit pale and the breathing a bit laboured at times….”

“Yeah, we reckoned maybe asthma or something, right,,,,?”

Now looking straight at him, West’s persona was grave as he continued “I’m afraid we’re looking at something a bit more serious than that Heath…”

The other man sat bolt upright, his tone now both alert and blunt as he demanded “Like WHAT exactly !! I mean I…”

Holding up one hand up to stem the flow, the surgeon said “Heath the tests are directly symptomatic of diminished kidney function with damage already occurring…”

Agitated now, Heath again spoke over him “So what’s the remedy then doc – pills, potions, when do we start, eh !!…”

“Heath its gone past anything like that – Darcy’s going to have to be put on the transplant list – priority status of course , but as I’m sure you’re aware, demand always outstrips supply in these areas – Julie here’s got all the forms and details and so on,,,,Heath ? ?”

But a glance at the River Boy’s face would have clearly indicated he was frozen in the mental trauma of the diagnosis of minutes previously...

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The Summer Bay air was uneasily, almost uniquely still as he made his way with measured tread towards the small warehouse set just over half-way between the surf-club and the boating marina. The twenty or so steps he was moving carefully down were still glistening wet under the watch-lamp above, a legacy both of sailors and fishermen dripping their way upwards and of the overflow from fish-buckets being carried, further heightening the already salty edge to the air in addition to that emitting naturally from the berths below.

This was an enterprise he’d thought hard about but knew with grim determination it had to be pressed ahead with. As he dismounted the final step and extended an arm towards the slightly ajar door he paused, ears straining at the alert on picking up the sound of voices – voices that were joined in low, urgent, edgy and even aggressive discord.

Fingertipping the splintering structure open with all the delicacy he could muster, thoughts forming a massed battalion to will against any tell-tale creak. The fates were riding in his favour as it swung slowly wider with no audible accompaniment and the voices assumed just an edge more clarity

“I don’t BELIEVE this – you said you were DEFINITELY….”

“Well as you can see mate it’s a take it or leave it situation, I’m afraid !!….” His ghosting through the door froze momentarily as the naked single light –bulb sprouting on a wire from the ceiling above crackled and flickered momentarily causing three pairs of eyes spread across the room to cast an involuntary glance upwards before resuming their previous statuses and situations.

Suddenly his ears picked up another sound- but this one was coming from BEHIND him – a soft footfall on the very steps he’d climbed down just minutes previously. Squeezing quickly into a small recess just to the right of where he’d been hovering, seemingly within seconds the new presence brushed through and past him what felt for all the world as if it were only millimetres away. His own mind now racing as to what it might possibly all add up to, he allowed his clenched eyes to open just a paper-thin slot, seeing as he did the outline of the new presence stiffening on hearing the voices resume their verbal jousting.

His eyes could vaguely perceive the figure detaching something from around him – and then- the jagged sheet of corrugated iron he’d seen erratically dividing the room was kicked down and the air was suddenly thick with a torrent of exclamations,

“So it IS you – what the hell…”

“Now just a freakin’ minute here…

“Look I’m the one…!!”

Then – as he decided to seize his chance to discover exactly what WAS going on, he moved forward but as he did the temperamental roof light, buzzed again, and accompanied by a small electrical flash and spurt of acrid smelling smoke, the room was suddenly plunged into darkness.

Hardly had he had time for his eyes to re-align with the gloom than he heard a struggle erupt – and with a nausea-inducing resonance a gunshot was loosed, and the sound of a set of departing feet could be heard. Then – a mobile phone torchlight seemed to stream in his direction, Harvey Ryan rubbed his eye against the piercing beam – and, as something innate prompted him to do so, he looked down to observe with a huge internal jolt, a body lying at his feet - - - and close by, a smouldering – and clearly recently discharged small handgun……

'Cause baby you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh ..”

"Jake Royce was hammering one of Katy Perry’s signature offerings at maximum lung capacity as he opened up the surf shop and began organizing the displays.

He smiled as he thought ‘Wasn’t that ALWAYS the way with the last song you heard on the house or car radio in the morning before going or getting out – in the head all day - NO getting rid, and by coffee time, queues of people ready in strangle pose behind you at the kettle having been infected by the humming bug of the selfsame song !’

Stacking some rainbow-print wrist and ankle bands, he glanced at the surfboard-style clock above the counter and as he noticed the position of the improbably-splayed surfer’s index finger , noted out loud to the as yet empty shop “ Hmm, bit late for Roman – wonder if he had a big Yabbie Creek night last night !…”

Since returning from prison, Roman had thrown something of a veil of secrecy around himself, even before hooking up with his American girlfriend and it could fairly be said that precisely no-one in the Bay even knew of her existence despite the deep and passionate love he doubtless felt for her.

As the shop door began to open, Jake served and exchanged pleasantries with a few customers determined to catch the early wave, but after doing some paperwork, the itch of doubt began to intensify at the back of his mind, More customers came and went but after dialling Roman’s flat with no reply he decided to hit the kettle and hopefully cajole him out with a slightly earlier version of the coffee he normally enjoyed mid-morning.

Mounting the dozen or so stairs to the flat with cup held carefully in one hand hr rapped on the outer door- frame and called jokingly “Oh Mr Harris sir = Room Service- AT your service ! “

Knowing it was a relatively small flat, his brow wrinkled at the lack of a reply, and he tapped again , a little more urgently this time –before noticing for the first time that the door was actually a couple of inches ajar. Heart beginning to thump a little, he pushed it open, took a few steps in and looked around before “Roman -oh my stars !!!” His colleague’s body was lying sprawled across the lime-green carpet, bottle of vodka clutched under whitening knuckles.

Hearing feet mounting the stairs and turning to see surf regular and friend Aiden Jeffries reach the head of the stairs and enter he screamed “AIDEN – Aiden mate , call an ambulance – QUICK !!”

Stepping right into the room, Aiden gave a “What the hell…..” – then after a gap of a few seconds he pointed Jake’s attention to an open, near-empty bottle of paracetamol tablets, a number strewn on the carpet. And – pushing back his hair from a dampening brow as he attempted to find Roman’s pulse, he said haltingly.. ”Mate – I’m not totally sure an ambulance will do much good….”

Nurse Julie tapped on Dr West’s office door with some urgency. She wore a dishevelled appearance having just come from the operating theatre but her deeply thoughtful expression and furrowed brow also spoke of someone with news of real gravitas to impart. West had been on the phone, so it was a few minutes before he called her in, and when she did he was bent over some documents, signing them off.

Looking up he greeted her “Hey Julie, what’s going on ..!”

Still serious, she went on “Well, you know the road smash up at Ocean View Heights, well the surgeries are done, and though they saved the mum, the boy didn’t make it.”

“Aw shoot and there was real hope there, wasn’t there !”

“Yes, for sure, but what got me thinking, and why I came down so quick was – it SEEMS all to be a perfect fit for Darcy Braxton, doesn’t it ! This family are registered donors, the blood group matches, and ok – 19’s a BIT older, but hardly enough for it to matter, right….now I know there’s the list issue, but I’ve checked and none of the others near the top have any chance of getting here in the “Golden Hour”, - so…”

West was already up having smacked the table and exclaimed “Of COURSE, you’re SO right , let’s get on the phone to Heath quicksticks !!”

Leafing hastily through a list of numbers, he banged a number into the receiver on his desk then gasped “Dammit – Voicemail –why does it ALWAYS have to be, just when you want them most…!!”

As it happened, on this occasion there was a very simple reason why. Having previously broken the news to Darcy about her health condition, by way of a “Cheer up” treat, just ten minutes previously Heath and she had pulled off in his car for a planned day out and picnic at Reefton Lakes. Had anyone asked the driver where his mobile phone was at that moment, he’d have replied with assurance that it was tucked in the small rucksack just behind him. In point of fact however it was on the house dining table where he’d erroneously left it, and where it was now urgently chiming news of the message left on it by Dr West…..

CHAPTER TWELVE

“It would help to talk about it Roman, trust me…”

He sighed and ran a hand across his brow before replying slowly “ I’m just not sure what it is you want me to say….”

He was sitting in his temporary wheelchair base at the window of a bright, airy consulting room at the hospital – perched in relaxed mode on the table next to him was Clair Deakin, Resident Counsellor at Summer Bay General, but carrying with her none of the stuffy or daunting image that title may mentally awaken.

She was a sunny-faced approachable brunette , a fringe tumbling across her forehead as part of a newly styled short bob.

“Well, whatever you’re actually feeling would be an ideal place to start !” she responded after a few seconds before a reproving glint entered her eye as she elaborated “ But can I throw this one out there for starters – I like to steer past any feelings of personal guilt or self-reproach about what happened. A bit unconventional, I know, but I’d far rather hear about ‘why I did what I did not why did I DO what I did !”

Roman gave a small, unexpected smile as a slight breath of humour escaped him.

Leaning forward with a twinkle in her eye, she asked kindly “What – what have I said !”

“Shaking his head slowly he replied “Nah it’s just you sounded a bit like that American guy there, you know the one with the-known unknowns and the unknown knowns – you remember him !”

With a reciprocal nod and warm smile she executed a mock salute and replied “Sure do, Mr President SAH !”

Though his smile remained, it blended slowly into one more rueful as he fell silent again. But – the more relaxed exchange appeared to have opened him up a little. “You know Clair, I can call you Clair…?”

Nodded assent…

“She means EVERYTHING to me, absolutely EVERYTHING – I mean, first love’s meant to be a teen thing, right ? Well I’m the dazzling example of what BS that actually is !! And you can’t fall deeply, drowningly in love with someone over the phone and net, right ? I’m sure that would be the top reaction if you quizzed people on the street –well I’m the NUCLEAR example of what BS THAT is !! And when you’re living life at that pitch being told she loves you and all she wants is you, you’re living life at several storeys above cloud nine and I’m here to tell you that’s one HELL of a drop !”

Nodding with genuine understanding, Clair replied softly “Oh I can see THAT, “, then with gentle but probing tact “Wasn't her coming to be with you an issue of sorts….”

He shot her a probing glance, then realized most of the details would still have been showing on his computer the night he’d been rescued, and continued “Yes, yes it was – but I had reasons – real, genuine reasons for wanting to wait till the time was right, now I’m left wondering did she REALLY love ME or just me as part of the package of leaving where she was ? I’d SO hate to think that, but these last few days it’s been hammering around my head like an iron foundry “ – he paused, head bowing, and gave a deep sigh “…with the results you see…and now there’s nobody, absolutely NOBODY that makes it worth opening the curtains for in the mornings !”

Clair paused before observing “Surely there must be other people…?”

Rolling his eyes he replied “Oh yeah right – people to sell surf wax to, people to nod at you and talk about going for a pint with that may or may not happen, but really – truly- when that flat door closed every evening there was ONLY her – soulmates, true soulmates - - or at least so I thought !” He gave a short, resigned laugh.

“And everyone’s saying how she needs the chance for a new start after her marriage failed – and I !! think she does too – I’ve said more times than I can count that what SHE wants is what I !! want – and what makes HER happy is what makes ME happy – I just always wanted to believe that could be here with me !” Another deep sigh and “ More fool me, I guess – I mean I’ve done the time for a crime I didn’t do , earned the right – or so I thought – to have life a little near the way I want it to be, but seemingly that’s a bit too much to ask ! – and now , well now there’s not much and NoBODY – nobody at all..!!”

“Um – not necessarily true, I’m afraid….!”

Sitting as he was with his back to the door, Roman was forced to crane his neck around just as the key word ‘,,,dad !’ was added to the above sentence – yes, having been shown in after a light tap at the ajar door by Nurse Julie, Nicole Franklin was back in town – and a number of lives were certain to feel the impact….

“.

"

Sergeant Watson’s face bore the look of someone who’d driven unsuccessfully three times round a City Centre car park only to look right and observe someone coming out of a space just as they were turning back onto the main road.

“Councillor Ryan, can we finally confirm with no ifs ands and maybes that you were in a storage outhouse at Coopers Wharf three evenings ago, would that be a yes or a no ?”

Harvey chewed the lips at one end of his mouth as – not for the first time in the discussion, he tried to play for time. “Well Sergeant, I know I was out for a walk that night, and I did slip down to the waterfront – nice night, if you’ll remember…”

Almost having to stifle a yawn at his semantic globetrotting…Watson held an object in the air , cut across him with “We found your council identity tag in the very same outhouse to which I was referring –an outhouse where an incident we’re currently investigating also took place that night.”

There then followed that rare phenomenon of Councillor Harvey Ryan stunned into silence for a full minute or so until he came back at her in guarded tones.

“Well, ok – say I DID step inside that outhouse..”

Seeing her ready to jump back in at him, he picked up his pace like a jockey urging an in-contention mount around The Elbow in the Grand National.

“But I only did it –IF I did it – because I heard voices..”

Increasingly interested now, she leant forward – “Tell me more…”

“well – at first I didn’t know whose voices they were- and I STILL don’t 100 per cent – it was pretty darn gloomy in there, you know !”

“So now you need a lightbulb to recognize voices, Councillor, interesting !” observed the officer drily

“With a hoarse, unnatural laugh, Harvey chided her “Oh you know what I mean, Sergeant –a bit disorientating, not quite sure what’s going on, that kind of thing, blah blah blah..”

Stonily unimpressed, Watson responded “Councillor Ryan what we’re dealing with here is significantly more important than blah blah blah – we’re looking into a firearm being discharged, possible criminal wounding – and, the only person we can connect with the location is you ! So – I’m suggesting you offer me far more than you have already, else I may be starting to firm up my thoughts – you get what I mean !”

The momentarily hapless Harvey collected himself, then as metaphorical spotlight prepared to sear optic nerve, he dug deep – “OK then Sergeant, if Bad Cop it has to be, how about I tell you this - - - I reckon one of the people there was one of your very own law enforcement officers !….”

Her eyes widened….

“And if you’re interested by THAT – wait till I tell you who I believe they were WITH……!”.

“Xave, exactly what DID happen last night ! – you come in after 2am, red-face, heart going like a calypso band and you don’t say a WORD before falling asleep – even then you’re tossing and turning till 5 or 6 and now you’re up – so what’s the score ?? – XAVE !!!”

She was growing progressively frustrated as her other half was moving from room to room as she followed him – collecting and donning his uniform and items for his utility belt.

“I mean I’m bound to be concerned, right !” she exhorted, as if somehow giving a virtuoso performance to an invisible audience massed around her.

“You tell me Hugo’s back in circulation for the first time in forever – you go heading off like it’s something from CSI, and now it’s suddenly like blood from a stone - - - XAVIER !!!!!”

She’d now, in desperation assumed the role of a roadblock, barring his way into the kitchen with legs planted donkey-style and hand placed firmly on his chest, her whole aura radiating “They ..or in this case…HE shall not pass !”

Sighing with exasperation, he levered the hand away, and executing a smart sidestep, called over his shoulder “Rubes, you’ll just have to trust me on this one !! I have somewhere to be like LAST WEEK it’s so important, and we’ll just have to talk LATER !!!”

But the volley of enquiry was far from vanquished “So just who IS it you’re going to meet - and just WHERE does Hugo fit in to all this..”

But by now her other half was fully equipped for his exit, and calling back “Laters Rubes !!” to his still-fuming partner , he opened the door, keen to make good his quick escape, - and almost ran directly into a waiting figure who would ensure he did anything but….

• 1 month later...

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

“Now hold on a minute Doc, whoa, nah nah, that can’t be right, eh ! He’s been hanging out for this, hasn’t talked of squat else these last three days since I’ve been back from your place, there’s no way he’d go ghost without his phone – it’s been glued to his hip firmer than a cold tinny on a hot day….”

Brax had returned from a quick bout of grocery shopping and was currently engaged in the delicate logistical triangle of parking his car, balancing a full carrier on his lap and fielding the high priority mobile call from Dr West.

Still affirming his certainty that his brother wouldn’t have suddenly become a one-man ‘not-spot’, he was swiftly forced to reassess that standpoint seconds after placing his key in the lock and pushing the front door ajar. Immediately on doing so his ear was greeted by a very familiar and insistent ringback tone. Something he quickly identified as emanating from an equally familiar mobile handset, sitting as it did in not-so glorious isolation on the small dining table from where it had clearly meant to be included in Heath and Darcy’s outing packages,

Dumping his bag down heavily on the very samr table, Brax emitted a long and heavy sigh. Re-attuning his ear to the urgent note of enquiry at the other end of his phone, he responded “Shoot doc you’re right – the tool’s only gone and left the phone right here ! “ Thoughts raging around his mind he said “Doc. I’ll call you back…”, and – hand to brow, his phone dropped unrestrained to the table. A pulse of stress-induced thought thumped inside his head for several minutes until a light dawned.

Grabbing the phone off the table he punched in West’s office number on speed-dial, and in clipped, grim mode intoned “Doc – I know where they’ve gone – yes, yes I am sure ! – now you let me go and I’ll call you as and when, eh…” And so it was that inside three minutes, the call was ended and Brax was inside his car, heading for a short cut towards the coast link road out of the Bay.

Still shaking his head he spoke out load as he steered swiftly past cars on the two-lane elevated freeway . “Azure BAY !! – it just freakin’ well HAD to be !! Darce ALWAYS liked it there and Heath flaming thought he was Mark freakin’ RICHARDS when he hit the waves…!!”

Azure Bay was a small hamlet just on the east of the Interstate line and Brax reckoned with some good traffic fortune he could be there in 20 minutes or so.

For 75 per cent of the route, he had his wish – but then - - as he drew towards a small town called Colton Creek. Colton was best known as the site of a liquefied natural gas plant, passed by the council despite strong opposition from the local community - ---------many of whom now seemed to be trapped by the same traffic jam in which he found himself marooned. Cursing as he thumped his steering wheel, the pressure of time came hurtling back at him. After a couple of minutes of chafing, the frequently annoying but now crucial travel report cut across the radio “…and out latest alert is for those travelling north through Colton Creek – warnings of delays of up to two hours for divers due to a reported leak at the gas plant there – the word is to avoid the area if at all possible..”

Thumping his steering wheel again and cursing under his breath, Brax growled “ flaming late to be freakin’ tellin’ me THAT isn’ it, radio boy !!!”Craning his neck across rear-view and wing mirrors he saw with sinking heart there was no room for manoeuvre behind with the queue of cars stretching at least a mile behind. As another 5 galling minutes of waiting. The extreme action hatching in his mind was about to take shape via a reverse u-turn down the tight. Narrow verge to his left – when fate threw in front of him a card incandescent with the heat of its possibilities, implications, and the shadow it would undoubtedly throw on the whole Heath/Darcy dynamic/ As he went to pull out, the cranking gears of an oncoming police van could be heard as he looked truculently in the wing mirror –leaning up to give the driver a piece of his mind, time seemed halted altogether as he saw, for several second frame in the drivers’ window the facial contours of - - - none other than Charlie !! Now THAT bore no relation to logic WHATSOEVER……

Aiden was leaning on the surf shop counter chatting to Jake Royce with some delayed angst but a distinct level of relief about the whole Roman situation. To the slightly incongruous accompaniment of “Let’s go Surfing” by The Drums his head nodded slowly as he said “ I tell you what, mate when I came into the bedroom that day I REALLY thought he was a goner, and you did SUCH am awesome job in keeping it all together, I’ll tell you THAT much !”

Jake – as so many of us do, neatly ducked under the compliment, replying “Hey mate –I was JUST as spooked as you and boy I’ve never been s so pleased to see anyone arriving anywhere !”

Nodding to an entering customer, Jake went on “SO good he pulled through though, eh !”

Nodding assent, Aiden agreed. Adding “I may even try and nick in to see him later, if they’ll let me…”

Raising a thumb in approval at the idea as the customer prepared to buy some board wax, he called over “Hey mate, you couldn’t be a star and bring me down that pile of red ‘Rip Curl’ t-shirts from the store-room upstairs, could you ?”

“No sooner said, boss !” joked Aiden , and with a mock salute to the other man was off, trotting up the stairs two at a time, . Locating the store cupboard he carefully lifted the required pile, eased the door shut with his elbow and walked slowly backwards, aiming for a gentle 90 degree turn at the top of the stairs, but his plans were to be thwarted. Encountering an unexpected impact and hearing a muffled gasp behind him, he struggled to retain hold of the wobbling t-shirt pile and , turning fractionally in attempting to apologize, he first glimpsed a grounded toilet bag full of hospital-bound necessities, and then the origin of the earlier gasp – a smiling face beneath tumbling blonde hair “ Well hello Mr Stranger !” His eyes widened as he realized he had – literally – bumped into – Nicole Franklin. And her return to the Bay was most definitely NOT on his life wish-list at that particular moment in time…..

“Hugo I should SO not be here and you KNOW that –this could be me with a great career doing a 180 from in front of me to behind me in the next few hours if we don’t handle this VERY carefully !”

The brothers were together in a small room above the bait shop, Xavier working wit the necessary handicap of a light-free room in attempting to treat Hugo’s wounds – sustained by the gunshot that had rent the air at the isolated fish storage room just hours previously. Xavier knew that any time he had to ‘manage’ the situation was streaming away rapidly like an egg-timer on high octane, as he rightly assumed that his bosses and others involved in the events would already have set about unpicking the situation while establishing alibis and assigning blame,

“OWWW” from Hugo as some antiseptic was rather too liberally applied.

“Oh button it you great wuss !” hissed Xavier,

“Its only a flesh wound and I’ve already parcelled you up tighter than an Egyptian Mummy ! Now look Hugo, as a brother and a police officer, I want to know WHY you’re back, and just HOW and how SOON we can get you back to wherever you came from !!”

An awkward silence permeated the windowless room, before a wincing Hugo lifted his head to respond slowly “It’s complicated Xave…!”

“Cut the bull Hugo, I need the truth, pure, simple and unvarnished – or I’ll just have to forget exactly why – totally against my better judgement- I feel like I want to help you “

Another silence, then – “Well, I had a meet with someone who I owed money to – I really HAD to pay it back –you know what I mean !!”

Xavier gave a tight thin smile of reality dawning “Ahh, indeed I DO -hence the reason for the shady meeting over at the dock ! Well, if I DO –very reluctantly agree to look the other way on this, then all we have to do, no offence of course, is to get you straight back to where you came from !”

Another awkward silence – they were almost becoming predictable –and, turning away, Hugo muttered. His voice was so close to being under his breath it could have examined its carpet on the way down – “I don’t think it’s going to be that simple, broth…..”

Brow furrowing, Xavier moved to look him straight in the face “And why NOT, may I ask,,,!”

His face a blend of confusion, fear and uncertainty about how to proceed, he turned to face his brother, he proceeded a little shakily “Now I know you’ll think I’m unhinges or something to say this, but “

“BUT….!!”

“A large part of me being here is…there’s a contract out on my life…!!”

• 2 months later...

:rolleyes: SORRY FOR THE DELAY !!!

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

“Keep your head DOWN !” hissed Xavier over his shoulder as he looked to steer the car round a near 90 degree bend . The recipient of his sibilance was Hugo, crouching uncomfortably in the back under a shabby hessian blanket.

The route was a circuitous, peripheral one around the fringes of the Bay. The reason for THAT was the destination Xavier had outlined in his head for Hugo to lie low until they choreographed his next move. The whole “Contract killing” scenario had originally seemed as far-fetched as a plot from “CSI Miami” or some similar show, but the more he’d listened in that gloomy room, the more stark and persuasive the case had become. Hugo’d outlined how he and Martha had been forced to flee the USA when they’d learnt that someone-they didn’t yet know who –had alerted the authorities about their presence in Colorado. Before the police could pin down the precise address they’d fled to one of the smaller Antipodean islands – unfortunately the very one where he’d first got involved in people smuggling. Of course the ring itself had been smashed with police intervention by then. But-and it was a big but –unbeknownst to Hugo , the brother and cousin of the ringleader and paymaster had been thrown clear of guilt, and remained on the island.

So, after a number of weeks, the bush telegraph had begun to beat –with near fatal cost to Hugo. The pair had turned their blame-radar squarely upon him and after the brakes had been tampered with on his car and flaming rags been pushed through the door of the remote small cottage where they’d been staying when he was alone there one nigh he’d decided enough was enough. He’d paid a substantial sum to secure himself and Martha seats on a private plane flight to a neighbouring island where the same cash had bought her safe refuge at the home of the pilot’s aunt while he’d travelled onward to the Bay.

Xavier was now formulating a plan –albeit risky –about luring the culprit across to search for Hugo and capturing him then.

By now they were within ten minutes of the ‘safe house’-but the trip was to have a sting in the tail. Heading left up a small rural incline, the blanketed Hugo heard a groan of real foreboding and a swallowed expletive from his brother at the wheel.

“What mate, what !! “ he enquired urgently from his covered position.

“Oh sho-oot, it’s a freakin’ police roadblock ..!”

Indeed it was, and as Xavier slowed down, a uniformed officer stepped forward, palm raised, to stop the vehicle in its tracks…..

“I don’t know what the HECK’s happened to him Irene !” Bianca thumped down her coffee cup and made a mock strangling gesture in the air, hissed with some sincerity “”When he shows up I swear I’ll kill him, what DOES he think he’s up to !!!”

She truly had thought that when Liam claimed he was abandoning thoughts of revenge on Jake Pirovitch and his gang –that he’d really meant it. Now there was a cold shiver radiating up and down her spine , depositing as it did doubts and uncertainties about where he was and what he was doing.

Irene was cast in her regular role of a pacifier who was already swimming against the tide. “Look darl’ I can see where you’re coming from, but he DID say he was letting t go, didn’t he ! And, you do have to admit he’s not your regular 9 to 5 meat and 2 veg kind of guy, now is he !”

Bianca –somewhat predictably – was not for mollifying. “Irene – remember if you would – its only six or seven days since I found a freakin’ GUN in his kit bag, I think I’m entitled to be just a little bit edgy, don’t you !”

Raising her hands in the air as in mock despair, Irene turned and headed for the kitchen. Some elaborate percussion of pots and pans followed before Irene emerged with slow tread to see Bianca lying stretched out on the sofa. She was abstracyedly turning the pages of a glossy magazine, her lack of any real interest in it betrayed by Irene’s over-the shoulder view. It showed Elle McPherson apparently standing on her head next to a scarlet-hued sports car apparently about to drive north up the side of a palm tree.

The upside-down volume was then cast to one side on the older woman’s return to the room. Bianca picked up immediately that her face wore a hesitant expression. Swivelling round, “Irene….?”

The entrant held both palms aloft as if in a placatory gesture and said “Look Missy I wasn’t GOING to tell you this, BUT- the other day in the diner I overheard something – something I very likely wasn’t MEANT to hear, but it COULD just explain where your man is right now…”

Bianca sat further forward, an intent look spreading quickly across her face – now this was something she needed to hear…..!

If one’s mind could be surgically split straight down the middle, Brax Found himself in that identical position as the traffic jam straggling its way idly towards and past the power station showed no signs of abating. Ahead of him were Heath and Darcy and the urgent need to get her to the hospital for a potential kidney transplant, behind him the fleeting and bewildering glimpse of Charlie in the police van.

Grinding his fingernails with frustration into the palm of his hand he seemed trapped in a macabre, unyielding grip of logistics from which there appeared no escape.

But then –from its deepest recesses, a light suddenly flickered then flashed - the air ambulance !! Within seconds he was on his mobile , giving clipped, urgent background details of and directions to Azure Cove where he was certain his brother and niece would be.

Then –problem two – the static traffic jam.

Again drawing inspiration from the previous lightbulb of his mind he inhaled deeply and resolved to embark on a risky course that had already briefly flitted through his mind during the 45 minutes or so of gridlock.

Knowing there’d have to be a degree of space at the head of the queue for the police roadblock, he squeezed his car back the available couple of feet, wrenched the steering wheel to the left, and to a volley of irate horns, bumped it all the way up the left-hand pavement to the predicted barrier. Ignoring the frantic gestures of an advancing young police constable he attempted to slew the vehicle round a tight 90 degree space – but, losing control, crunched into the rockface bounding the opposite pavement. As he slumped forward at the wheel, a trickle of blood began to descend from his hairline….

Archived