Out Of The Shadows

Guest WYN100

¬¬¬CHAPTER NINTEEN

“Look Superintendent, I don’t think Sergeant Watson’s taken this whole situation seriously enough at all !”

Harvey At opposite the high-ranked officer betraying all the mannerisms of a frustrated Santa Claus holding a sackful of presents that nobody wanted.

Fixing him with an even, steady gaze, Tomlinson responded with all the predict ability of a standard police press release,

“Councillor Ryan, we at Yabbie Creek Police take all reports of potential matters of interest very seriously and I’m obviously disappointed you’re not satisfied with the reaction you received to your report…”

Emitting a deep sigh, Harvey demanded with more than a trace of sarcasm “Oh I’m so delighted to hear that Superintendent Tomlinson – but where exactly does it LEAVE us at this precise moment in time !”

Still calm, Tomlinson responded “What if you run ME through the alleged events of the evening ib question, how about that !”

With a look akin to a reluctant nine year old asked to repeat multiplication tables numerous times in front of his parents, Harvey set off “Well –AS I told Sergeant Watson, I entered an old warehouse just off the docks, it was very dimly lit, and immediately I heard voices…”

“Why exactly DID you go in there, remind me…”

“Oh, ah…well I was out walking, the rain came down and in I went…”

“I see, carry on…”

“Anyway, listening very carefully I can categorically tell you from what I heard, it was either Jake Pirovitch or one of his gang setting up a drug deal. They got interrupted, a gunshot was fired –I don’t know by who- and the rest is a matter of record – the record I GAVE to Sergeant Watson already !!”

Tomlinson reflected, nodded thoughtfully and replied “I can assure you Councillor Ryan I personally will oversee a thorough investigation into everything you’ve told me and keep you fully informed !”

Harvey mumbled a semi-grudging acceptance but as he was about to rise and leave, his mobile rang. Punching the green button he heard a muffled, thick, crackly voice “Harvey Ryan –COUNCILLOR Ryan ..”

“yes…who’s this !!”

“Oh, just someone who thinks you’ve been spending a little too much time with the police and would like you to stop as of this moment !…”

Riled into anger, Harvey snapped “Look I know who this is and you can just go to HELL !”

Ignoring Tomlinson’s gesture for him to calm down, Harvey listened a the voice interjected “I was afraid you’d say that - -You have a daughter Lottie, right…care to have a word….”

“Whaaa…..”

“Dad….it’s me….please don’t upset them…”

As the small, nervous voice was ripped away, the colour drained almost instantaneously from Harvey’s face as hr swivelled round to face a frowning Tomlinson…..

“And so the islander guy was shot when he drew a gun towards our car, he’s still in hospital and that’s about where we’re up to right now..”

Wayne Elliott, the officer who’d stopped Xavier at the roadblock a few days previously had been assigned to ‘mentor’ Ruby on her first training day. He’d driven her round all the key areas involved in the original people smuggling scandal, culminating in the hillside which, little had she known, had been close to the last sighting and location of Hugo, who’d of course been the catalyst for this whole particular melting pot being levered open once again.

Ruby was abuzz with the adrenaline which the day had afforded her - - “So why has it all kicked off again - - I know about all the trouble before of course – all the stuff with Angelo letting Hugo and Martha go a bit too easily….”

She halted an embryonic thin smile as Elliott cut in firmly “ ..nothing was ever really proved about that ! – and just a tip – be very careful about those kind of jokes while you’re round here - - - friends having friends and wheels within wheels – all that sort of thing !”

“I’M surprised Xave hasn’t mentioned it, given what it’s all about and everything…”

Elliott’s brow again grew serious “ on-the-job hint number two for you – officers aren’t meant to discuss ‘live’ cases with ANYONE –not even family, and anyway – because I think it’s part of your day to know, to the best of my knowledge, he’s not actually been working on that case anyway.. “

“Ah, ok, I get you..that must be why.”

“Well, catch you tomorrow then, I guess, recruit Buckton !” smiled Elliott, giving her a pat on the back. Responding with a light-hearted curtsey, she replied “Why thank you, kind sir !, see you then !”, and headed inside the main station, where she’d left her bag in the locker room. With dusk starting to fall, the corridor was quiet as she paced down the tiled floor. As she approached the room the became aware of a voice speaking in low, hushed tones. As she reached the door she became increasingly aware the voice was a familiar one – and it belonged to Xavier ! Pausing just short of the door, she heard “ Hugo ! where the hell ARE you !! did you know they’d shot the other guy !! No, still unconscious. Now the question IS ..where exactly does it all leave US !!”

Outside the room the listening Ruby gaped – that identical question was beginning to career its way around HER mind….

“So. Come on-why in the name of reason did you have to go to HIM !!!”. Bianca’s driving was mirroring her punctuation as her foot pummelled the accelerator pedal to the floor and breathed in ready for another angry verbal tour de force. She was cut short though by Liam who emerged from his passenger seat doghouse to request testily “Are you going to let me EXPLAIN!! “

Rolling her eyes, the driver responded “Well THIS should certainly be worth hearing ! – go RIGHT ahead, please !”

“Well, as you know, I wanted to nail the scum that caused that plane crash. SO – WHEN I hear Graham’s back in town, he’s a changed character….” – another theatrical roll of the eyes next to him…..”..and he’s only too happy to pay out on some of the SHADIER characters he mixed with in the past. NOW…”anticipating her next interception…”I’m NOT saying I’ll be going after that Pirovitch gang with all guns blazing, but I know I’LL sleep better at night having at le ast a TAKE on where they’re hanging out and what they may be into at the moment which I now DO , and that’s IT !! …end of !! So !!….” reaching over to squeeze her left hand..” Let’s have less of the worrying - - - OK !!”

Grudgingly she accepted the hand, have a thin smile, and offered “Well….I STILL don’t like it, but I’ll believe you - but it’s best behaviour from now on. Mister, y’hear !!”

“Aye aye boss !! he responded, smiling and giving a mock salute.

They shared a brief mutual smile, but that was placed on hold as she glanced in distrait fashion –not for the first time – into her rear-view mirror, and volunteered edgily “Liam, I think we’re being followed !!”

Turning round in his seat, despite the now-fallen dusk he could distinctly see a vehicle relatively close behind them on the country path Bianca had chosen for them to head back to the Bay.

“Yes, I see a car, but what makes you think he’s following us….”

“He’s been behind us ever since we left that pub, and every turning I’ve taken, he’s done the same !”

“Well I still don’t necessarily think…”

Liam’s scepticism was rudely interrupted as he was jerked forward by the slam of metal into the reverse of their car, then another, and another, as the steep drop to the left of the road they were travelling loomed dangerously into view…..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

¬¬¬¬¬CHAPTER TWENTY

“Dad, come ON, you’ve GOT to come out, we’re all so worried about you !”

Nicole ran her fingers distractedly through her hair, and shot an angst-ridden glance at Aiden alongside her. Having received the call at the diner, they’d headed to the hospital to find that Roman had – after his counselling session- blockaded himself in his room and was refusing to come out.

“I don’t understand it Aiden, “ she said with a catch in her voice , “he seemed to be doing so WELL the last time I was here ! Feeling uncomfortably incapable of offering an appropriately consoling response, Aiden twisted his hand in mid-air for a few seconds before emitting an inaudible sigh of relief at the approach of Sid Walker from further down the passageway. Nicole immediately peeled away to greet him “Sid, WHAT’S going on, how did this happen !”

Sid’s face was grave, his brow furrowed “Being honest Nicole, I’m not sure what happened, but looking into that’s for later, what we need to do is get Roman out of there because as well as needing to speak to him…” he hesitated…

“Sid ? ? “from Nicole…

A deep breath. Then…”Well….because of how quickly Roman closed the door when the nurse stepped out, there’s a trolley containing a variety of strong medication, such as valium, mogadon, oxycontin painkillers and more…”

Growing suddenly pale, a forlorn-looking Nicole responded “So what are we going to DO !!! – are you saying he’s likely to TAKE those tablets and OD again, or what ? ?”

“Oh I think it’s a bit early to be thinking like that, what we need to do is gain his confidence and see what exactly’s the problem and what’s going on.”

Heading to the door he tapped it gently, saying “Roman, it’s Sid Walker, can we have a bit of a chat….”

Silence..

“Roman…?”

As Sid breathed heavily and looked around, as if in search of inspiration, all heads turned at the sound and sight of Nurse Julie trotting up the corridor.

“Doctor Walker, there’s someone here to see Roman, Mr Harris….”

Voice verging on the terse, he replied, “Nurse, as you can see , we’re in the middle of quite a situation here, I don’t think there’s anyone…”

“I think this is definitely someone he’d want to see…”

“Oh.. ?…and what makes you think that…?”

Julie paused briefly before replying “Because….she’s from the USA..”

A collective involuntary gasp swept across the assembled group……

“Bianca LOOK OUT !!!” Liam’s voice hit a top storey of alarm as the solid car metal crunched into their vehicle for a third and fourth time on the dusking country track with the undulating drop on the left hand side.

“Who the hell can it BE !!” he yelled above the intensely grinding noise of the two reverberating engines. “Well I’ve got my OWN ideas on THAT !!” she screamed in response, perspiring hands clamped firmly around the steering wheel in a desperate bid to retain some measure of control amid the attack.

“WhatEVER you think, I left Penn Graham cooking in his kitchen !!!” shrieked Liam – but the time had come for decisive action as their pursuer launched another sickening crunch into the boot region of their car. Despite the isolated nature of the road, Bianca had spotted an isolated farm track meandering off the carriageway to the right just a hundred yards or so ahead, so, screaming “ HOLD ON !!” as she slewed the car across the road and up the path in question.

And, in a mostjagged demonstration of cause and effect, directly they came to a halt, the air was rent with the desperate howl of the unsuccessful attempt to engage car brakes followed by the thunderous impact of vehicle hurtling through hedge. Exchanging painfully shocked glances, with one accord they jumped out of the car, went down the path, across the road and scrambled through the hedge towards the vehicle positioned at an unsteady angle close to a tree. Arriving marginally first, Liam attempted to guage the situation and lie of the land. Then, with a shock-fuelled cry he hailed the other arrival. Pointing down at the open drivers’ door he cried “Oh my stars, look !!!!”

Twisting her neck to look, her hand shot to her mouth with recognition on observing the prone form spilled out of the vehicle…. So THAT was who’d been following them …..!!

The Sands cocktail bar was steadily emptying , but still very much in attendance at the end of the serving area were the all-male duo of Brax and Matt, tensions rising between them after the latter’s dramatic revelation .

“So what’s all this about a pregnancy eh !!, come on, spill !!”

His remarks were accentuated by a volley of finger-stabs on the other man’s chest. Matt though retained his equilibrium, removing the Braxton digit and giving a short sigh before embarking on explanation.

“Well Brax, when I got together with Charlie I fancied I could tell there was something on her mind –nothing specific and I was so happy I didn’t want to push. So, eventually we do sleep together…” avoiding Brax’s eye…”and to cut a long story short she announces she’s pregnant…”

Holding his palm aloft to prevent a likely Brax tirade he went on…” Although I obviously never told her this, between you and me I always had a nagging doubt the pregnancy came a little too soon after the….event, if you see what I mean, meaning possibly,,,”

But Brax was ahead of him, “ MEANING that I could be the father,,,,!!”

His head was suddenly swimming …and from shock, NOT from the alcohol he’d consumed through the evening…

• 1 month later...

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

As Brax’s mood became increasingly irate and animated, Matt decided to call a halt, pour oil on some darkly bubbling waters and attempt to lance the boil that had been something of his own creation.

“Look BRAX, I just felt you deserved to know. I don’t think there’s anything else I can do, so I’m just going to back off, leave you to think whatever it is you want to think or do whatever you want to do !…”

And with what he considered some suitably conciliatory final remarks duly made, he headed directly out of the bar towards the car park.

After a few moments of dazed assimilation of what had just taken place, Brax too made a sudden snap decision to exit the bar and head for the Sands main exit. His gait was unsteady given the not inconsiderable amount of alcohol he’d drunk , but ignoring a call of “Sir, do you really think you should be driv…..” he headed for the car park, fumbled his van door open and set off in pursuit of Matt, whose tail lights he could just see making a turn some considerable distance ahead. Muttering to himself, he intoned “thinks he can drop that kind of news on me and expect me to do nothing, eh….well we’ll see about that…”, depressing his accelerator as he did.

A minute or so later though his dialogue has altered to “Oh SHOOT !!!” –prompted by the appearance of flashing police warning lights in his rear view mirror -lights which were to swerve his evening at yet another unexpected angle…….

“Well at least he’s conscious, I guess….” – Xavier and Sergeant Watson had been detailed by the preoccupied Tomlinson to look in on the recently awakened Islander and see what intelligence they could glean about the shooting incident some days previously.

Watson nodded as they exited the lift on the appropriate floor. “Yep, we know from last time his English is perfectly good, so I’ll lead and you chip in with anything you think can help kick things along, ok ?”

“You got it, Sarge, “ Xavier nodded, all the while hoping his manner wouldn’t betray to his senior that he already knew more than a significant amount about this very case.

Then, looking ahead, his head swivelled rapidly towards Watson, and, pointing animatedly at an empty chair a few doors ahead, he called “Where’s the cop outside his door !!??” Eyes widening in simultaneous alarm, Watson’s hand dropped instinctively to the gun in her utility belt as they jogged with brisk urgency to the private room. Gun now in her hand, Watson kicked the door open and ‘covered’ the room with raised barrel.

Finding no-one there, as Xavier entered behind her, she gave a start as the bedside phone rang “Yes? WHEN , where !!, OK…” Pre-empting Xavier’s inevitable question she informed brusquely “That was Reception –the policeman supposed to be outside here’s just been found chloroformed in the toilets downstairs - HOW that happened I don’t know, but it looks like our Islander is on the run to wherever it is he’s headed…”

Xavier was nodding gravely in apparent concurrence with what his superior –but all thr time his mind was churning with thr implications of what the development could mean –the guy, even as they spoke – could be headed for a second crack at HUGO……

“What the heck –how the heck……….”

Liam and Bianca were absorbing the trauma of what they’d just discovered. Bianca’s hand was clamped over her mouth and the situation was exposing a fleetingly more vulnerable side to Liam’s generally unflappable and confident character.

Gulping as he raised a hand to nervously stroke his beard , he intoned “What’s this all about…I mean how could it have panned out this way….!”

Understandably her only response was a despairing gesture of incomprehension.

They’d been looking down for some minutes now at the prone form of….Casey Braxton, desperately trying to put the pieces of the bizarre events together. This time a rhetorical question from her ..”Why on EARTH would he be trying to run us off the road…!” she paused “IF that’s what he was TRYING to do…” This time the despairing open-handed gesture came from him.

But even as he did a potential clue came their way as a miraculously undamaged

Mobile phone flashed its ringtone from its position amidst a clump of grass.

Flashing a look of surprise over at Bianca, Liam gingerly picked it up, answering “Casey’s phone…”

Amidst an initial cacophony of hiss and noise, he eventually heard in rasping male tones “Dunno who you are mate, but you tell the Braxtons that won’t be the last !”

Desperately trying to cut in, Liam urged, “Yes, but wai….” –the line though had already gone dead as he swivelled to shoot another thoroughly perplexed look at Bianca…..

• 1 month later...

¬¬¬¬CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

“Please drop the window and climb out of the car sir….”

Brax reluctantly complied with the first edict and looked up to see the kind of traffic officer with which so many are familiar. Aged around 31, he radiated the vaguest of sneers as if his uniform transformed him into an all-powerful being before which drivers should crumple. Brax of course – in a one to one sense – was made of sterner stuff.

He was though aware of the two cards he’d played into the officer’s hand with his level of alcohol that evening which would have taken him perilously close to the limit, plus of course the speed at which he’d set off driving from the Sands in pursuit of Matt.

While all the elements and more bubbled round in his head . the inevitable question from Officer Severe pierced his thoughts.

“Is this your car, sir !”

Stoically resisting the temptation to reply in the negative and say he’d stolen it from the local showroom two hours previously, Brax gave a little cough before responding ”Uh yes, bought it about two years ago…”

Nodding as he made some notes, the officer finished writing, clipped his pencil away in characteristically officious fashion and spoke as if each word were a cracker being pulled around a Christmas Dinner table, “Now could you please step out of the car sir…..”

Brax gave a quiet resigned inward sigh and climbed out, saying “I hope this isn’t going to take long officer, eh…”

The staccato voice clicked back emotionlessly “As long as it takes, sir ! Now could you spread your arms against the vehicle..”

Brax’s patience began to wear a little thin, saying a tad testily “look mate, is all this CSI stuff REALLY necessary…..”

But before the other man had had time to answer, Brax had happened to glance sideways at the squad car parked some 30 feet further up the pavement and discerned- without doubt – the form of Charlie, sitting in the passengers’ seat. That was where he had to be, but the question under the current circumstances was….how ??

Superintendent Tomlinson had been sceptical at best when Harvey had come before him with a suggestion as to where Pirovitch’s gang may have been holding Lottie –and positively hostile to the Councillor’s suggestion that he should be allowed to participate in the stakeout of said property.

After much communal head-scratching a second call from the hostage-takers during which Harvey had demanded to speak to his abducted daughter, their trail had led to a run-down and partially disused private airport on the outskirts of town. The rationale –well, when Harvey’d spoken to Lottie, she’d twice said “Hang in there Dad, HANG in there….”, as well as saying SHE was “ HANGing in there…” AND , after much consideration, the lightbulb had come on in his mind. As a youngster, he’d frequently taken her on guided tours of the airport and she’d frequently commented on the size of the hangar and how much shed enjoyed going inside it. It had been a marginal call by Tomlinson to ‘go’ with that gut instinct now even his patience with that ‘call’ was wearing threadbare. Leaning to one side he said in slightly weary but still businesslike tones “Councillor Ryan I think we’ve given this long enough…..”

But even as Harvey’s face was framing itself into a mask of objection, both men stopped short at the sight of a car driving slowly along the access road to the disused hangar. The driver’s face was clearly illuminated by a shaft of moonlight, and as the two men shared a disbelieving glance, their minds also held a mutual question….”What was HE doing here !!!!!”

Bianca and Liam paced the hospital corridor nervously. As Casey had begun to show the first vague signs of consciousess they’d summoned the ambulance in which Bianca had accompanied him to the hospital with Liam pursuing in the car. As they handed him over to Dr West, Bianca confirmed that the youngest Braxton had been attempting to communicate throughout most of the jourmey there, but none of it coherent enough to truly understand.

“What COULD that have all been about !!” Bianca’s question reflected the stunned confusion they were both still feeling about the evening’s events.

“What I’D like to know is where he could have been headed in such a tearing hurry “ was Liam’s query – “And what do we do next – you think we should maybe call Brax first up or something…”

“Already done –straight to voicemail ..” – and the ensuing shrug of the shoulders led them towards the waiting area where they mulled-largely silently – over characteristically bitter and tasteless cups of hospital coffee, both silenced by the shock and trauma of their evening as a whole. It was going to take something precise and distinct to break the hiatus and that finally came in the form of Dr West at the door of the room.

Moving as one, the questions flew,,

“How is he doc….!”

“Has he said…”

Raising a palm t halt the mini-interrogation, a bewildered looking West responded “Firstly, he’s doing surprisingly well physically –bumps, bruises and I think possibly a fractured wrist. BUT – I’ve calmed him down with a little sedative, AND.,.,.,’ –with a deep breath, ‘From what I can GATHER ….he’s been seeing Lottie. –you know, Lottie Ryan on the quiet, and while this may SOUND a bit out there… (West being unaware of the latest turn of events) …;he says he knows where she is and who’s KIDNAPPED her ..??”

As the doctor’s expression remained one of confusion. The heads of Liam and Bianca snapped instinctively towards each other in glances that reflection to this latest unexpected twist to their already jaw-dropping evening…just where did that mobile phone call fit in to it all.....!!

Archived