A Path Of Heartbreak

Guest LauraPhilly!!

Thanks again for all your comments! :)

I really do appreciate them!

For you all.....the next chapter :)

Enjoy!

Chapter 11

After setting Tegan up in the hotel near the hospital, Charlie and Brax returned to Leah's. Stepping in the front door, Brax took Charlie's hand and brought them up to his lips where he kissed them softly.

"You were amazing today, thank you."

Charlie smiled as Brax leaned in to kiss her. "I did it for you, you know that, right?" Brax smiled and kissed her again.

"Yes, I know, and I love you all the more for it."

That night as Charlie and Brax went to bed, Charlie stayed awake. She turned so that she was facing Brax and watched as he slept.

Seeing Tegan today had been a struggle for her and she was amazed that she had been able to keep herself in control. She knew the coming weeks would be difficult, and would surely be even more difficult once the baby arrived, however she had Brax and she knew she would be ok with him at her side.

Charlie found some comfort in the fact that Tegan's pregnancy wouldn't jeopardise her relationship with Brax. Tegan appeared to be truly regretful of what happened between the pair of them that night and Brax had made his feelings for Charlie clear as often as he could.

Charlie really didn't know how she would really handle the situation however she decided to take it day by day. She didn't know what tomorrow would bring so how could she prepare for it. She would just take each day as it came.

Brax brought the car to a halt outside the hospital and carefully helped Tegan out of the car. He then took Charlie's hand and all three of them walked towards the maternity ward for Tegan's ultrasound.Sid smiled as he saw them approach the desk, aware of their awkward situation, and directed them towards the observation room. Charlie was about to leave as Sid set up the machine but Brax took her hand and brought her close to him.They all watched in awe as the baby appeared on the monitor. Sid confirmed that it was a girl, to Brax's delight, and assured Tegan and Brax that all was well. He then left quickly so they would have a moment alone.

"I think I'll go too," said Charlie quietly, attempting to leave again.

"No, Charlie, stay!" insisted Brax, squeezing her hand reassuringly. "Please?"

Charlie relented and came to stand beside Brax again as both he and Tegan watched the monitor. The ultrasound experience was familiar to her as she had gone through the same experience with Ruby all those years ago. She watched as the baby girl stretched in the womb. They saw as she moved her arms and legs and even opened her eyes.

"That was amazing!" said Brax, having left the room with Charlie so Tegan could dress again. "Did you see it move and everything?"

Charlie merely nodded, her mind in a faraway place. Brax saw this and lifted his finger to her chin, bringing her eyes to focus on his.

"Are you ok? Was it wrong for me to ask you to stay?" he asked anxiously.

Charlie sighed and shook her head. She took his hand from where it was at her cheek and held it tightly in hers. "No...I suppose, I just kind of wish that was our baby that you were in awe over rather than hers."

Brax smiled sadly and faced Charlie so he could look straight into her eyes. "Babe, I wish that too, more than anything else. I'm sorry that this is so uncomfortable for you."

Charlie shook her head and smiled at him bravely. "Don't be...what's done is done. You and Tegan are having this baby and I'm really happy for you."

"You don't have to be Charlie?"

"No, I am," promised Charlie, though Brax could tell it was merely a front. "I am, I promise."

They both looked around as Tegan came out of the observation room. She smiled awkwardly at them. Charlie glanced at her, before pulling her hands out of Brax's grip and backing away.

"I think I'm going to go home now," she said, looking at Tegan uncomfortably.

"Well, let me drive you home," said Brax walking towards her, reaching for her hand again.

"No, no, it's ok," said Charlie, backing up even further. "I'll walk."

Brax watched regretably as Charlie turned and walked out the double doors of the maternityward. He looked back at Tegan who smiled at his regretfully.

"I am sorry," she said, sincerely.

Brax shook her head. "The time for sorries is over." He looked to the spot where Charlie had disappeared before sighing heavily. He offered his hand to Tegan and walked her out to the car slowly.As he drove her back to her hotel, he thought he glimpsed Charlie walking towards the beach but when he looked again she had disappeared.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! <3

Chapter 12

Walking down the path, Braxscanned the beach, raising his hand above his eyes as the the sun shonebrightly in her face.

He spotted her not too far away; she was simply standing still, looking out into the ocean, her hair blowing back in the wind. As Brax stepped closer to her, he thought he recognised a hint of sadness in her face. Her eyes were glassy and full of longing as she looked out into the crashing waves.

Coming to stand beside, Brax did not say anything but waited for her to speak. She did not turn to look at him. She simply closed her eyes, continuing to stare out at the sea. Then, a little tear appeared from under her eyelid and trailed down her cheek.

Brax's heart broke as he watched more follow, and reached out to take her hand. At his touch, Charlie completely burst into tears and raised her hands to her face, her body shaking as she cried. Brax moved closer to her as she swayed and wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in his shoulder, her tears were relentless.

They remained in each other's for several minutes. Brax continued to hold Charlie securely in his arms as her tears lessened and the shaking of her body gradually came to a stop. He pressed the side of his face against her head, rubbing her hair with his hand soothingly.

Finally Charlie pulled away from him. Her tears had stopped and she bowed her head, not looking into his eyes. Brax did not say anything, not wanting to push her away. He simply held her hairs close to his chest and waited until she finally lifted her head to look at him.

"I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head, tears threatening to pour again. "I thought I could do it before but I just can't. I can't just stand there while she...while she..." With that Charlie burst into tears again, willing falling into Brax's arms. His heart broke as his girlfriend sobbed on his shoulder. He had done this to her, had caused her so much pain, and what he hated about it the most was, it was too late for him to do anything. The damage was already done.

Charlie's tears came to an end once again but as she pulled back this time she immediately looked into Brax's eyes. There was a sort of defiance there, he noticed, but it was clouded by pain. "Charlie, it's ok," he said to her softly, looking into her eyes. "If you can't do this, it's ok. It was inconsiderate of me to expect so much from you. I'm sorry."

"No, no, don't be!" she said, shaking her head at him furiously. "I'm the one who is making this difficult. I want to be with you, everywhere you go, but I just can't...not while she's there. I just can't."

"Ok, ok, Charlie, just calm down for me, please," said Brax, looking into her face anxiously as he feared a further meltdown. "You don't have to explain yourself to me. If you don't want to see Tegan, it's ok. I completely understand."

Charlie smiled at him through her tears. "It's not that I don't love you, you know that right? I just...she's carrying your baby. I just can't bear the thought of that, let alone see it."

"I know, and babe, I am so sorry," said Brax, feeling pathetic as he knew his sorry's could change nothing. "If I could change things I would..."

"I know, I know," said Charlie, smiling at him, as she lay her head against his forehead. "Everybody makes mistakes. People have told me I'm crazy for taking you back but...I just couldn't imagine my life with anybody else. Cheesy I know, but it's the truth."

Brax smiled, leaned forward slightly and kissed her softly. He then wrapped his arms around her and drew her into a tight hug. Feeling safe and secure, Charlie let out a deep sigh as she rested her chin on his shoulder, a sigh which relaxed her entire body.

Brax held her tightly in his arms, never wanting her to feel this way again. He should never have asked such a thing of Charlie. It was wrong and wholely insensitive of him. There and then, he promised himself that he would never put Charlie in that position again. He had already hurt her once. Brax did not intend on doing that ever again.

Brax walked Charlie home after their talk on the beach. Worried about how fragile she seemed, he kept his arm wrapped around her waist the entire time.

Arriving at the Leah's, Brax leaned in and kissed her cheek softly. "I'll tell Tegan to keep her distance from you," he said, reassuringly. "And you don't have to come to any of the meetings to do with the baby anymore if you want."

Charlie nodded, smiling up at him fondly. "Thank you," she said, before wrapping her arms around him, hugging him tightly.

As he was about to pull his hand from hers, she gripped it tightly. "Do you want to stay tonight?"

Brax nodded silently and, with his hand in Charlie's, followed her as she pulled him into the house, and into her bedroom.

Slipping under the duvet, Charlie took Brax's arm and wrapped it around her waist, wanting the comforting feeling of his arms around her. Brax buried his face in her hair, and held her close throughout the night.

The next morning, he was the first to wake. In her sleep, Charlie had rolled so she was now facing him. Her face, which only a few hours ago was full of anxiety was now completely peaceful.

As he heard a text coming through on his phone, Brax turned slowly so as not jostle Charlie. He sighed unhappily as he saw it was from Tegan.

I need you. Come now please.

Brax sighed and reluctantly slipped out of Charlie's warm bed. He dressed quickly and scribbled a note for her telling her where he had gone. He then bent down and kissed her forehead softly.

He left Leah's house unnoticed and drove straight to Tegan's hotel. He knocked on her door and, when she answered, was surprised to sees tears running down her cheeks as she clutched her tummy.

"Brax, I haven't felt the baby kick in hours! I Something's wrong, I just know it!"

Thank you all <3

Chapter 13

With her eyes still closed, Charlie reached out to Brax's side of the bed, hoping to pull herself closer to him. But her arm just fell onto her cold mattress. Charlie opened her eyes, surprised to find that he was gone. She sat up and looked around the room. His clothes and shoes were gone. He was really gone. Charlie sighed and picked up her phone. One new voicemail from Brax. Charlie lifted the phone to her ear, expecting to hear an aplogy...

"Hey Charlie! Sorry I'm going to be out much longer than I thought. I had to take Tegan to hospital. The baby's stopped kicking and we don't know what's wrong. I don't know how long I'll be but I'll try to meet up with you later. Love you, babe."

In a surprise move, Charlie immediately jumped out of bed and threw on her clothes. She didn't even think about what she was doing. Jumping into her car, she sped along the road to the hospital. She burst through the doors of the ER dramatically, searching for Brax.

She finally saw him sitting outside a closed door, leaning against the back of his chair, his head raised to the heavens.

"Hey, what happened?" she asked, rushing over. "Is the baby ok?"

"Charlie, what are you doing here?" asked Brax, jumping up, his eyebrows raised in surprise. "I thought yesterday you said you didn't want anything to do with the baby...?"

"Well yeah...but I was worried about you," said Charlie, looking anxiously into his eyes. "Are you ok?"

"Well..they haven't told me anything yet," said Brax, taking Charlie's hand and sitting down again. Charlie came to sit beside him, listening intently. "But Tegan said the baby hadn't been kicking for hours. She's really worried."

"Brax, don't worry, I'm sure everything's fine," said Charlie, soothingly. "I went through roughly the same thing with Ruby, and it turned out to be nothing. I'm sure the baby's fine."

Brax looked into Charlie's face anxiously, while she smiled back at him reassuringly. They both looked up, Brax jumped up, as the door opened and out walked Tegan with her obstetrician.

"So, what's the story?" asked Brax, anxiously, looking from Tegan to the doctor. "Is the baby ok?" Charlie took his hand supportively, ready to be there for him if the news was bad.

"Well there doesn't appear to be anything immediately worrying," said the obstetrician, a slight smile on her face. "The baby may just not be moving, although it is uncommon this late in the pregnancy. We have taken some fluid from the amniotic sac and will be carrying out a few tests, just as a precaution."

"But the baby is ok?" repeated Brax.

The doctor nodded. "Everything seems just fine at the moment. I would encourage you to take things easy from now on though, Tegan," she said, looking to Tegan, a serious look on her face. "Any strenuous action could trigger an early labour, which may not be good for the baby."

"I promise to take things easier from now on, Alice," said Tegan, smiling at her appreciatively. "I wouldn't want to risk anything happening to the baby."

Dr Alice smiled approvingly, and then turned back to Brax. "We'll be in contact if Tegan needs to return for further tests. Other than that, you're free to go!"

"Thank you very much, Doctor," said Brax, shaking her hand appreciatively.

As the three of them walked down the corridor towards the exit, Brax held Tegan's hand to support her, while Charlie walked on the other side of Brax.

Charlie smiled slightly as she observed how Brax would look to Tegan's face every few minutes, looking out for any sign of pain or concern. All in the name of the baby.

It was then that Charlie realised how right it felt for her to be there to help Brax, to comfort and reassure him when he was scared. She couldn't be there to help Tegan, or even the baby, but she was there to help Brax. It was a strain for her to be in Tegan's company but she would put up with it for Brax's sake. She loved him and she was willing to be there for him through thick and thin, even when that meant being with his pregnant ex-girlfriend!

Thank you all so much. <3

Chapter 14

A few weeks passed and nothing much had changed with the threesome that Charlie now found herself in.

She found herself more and more in the company of the heavily-pregnant Tegan however she tried to stay as distant from the girl as possible, remaining close to Brax during these times.

The weeks were passing and Tegan was becoming more and more irritable because the baby wasn't coming. Charlie's efforts to ignore her in vain as she would loudly tell Brax how many days were left until the baby was due.

"If this baby doesn't come tomorrow, as planned, well I'm bloody well going to force it out if I have too!"

"And how do you intend doing that?" asked Brax, as he helped her stand up from the sofa.

"I don't know," she said, glaring at him. Charlie saw him chuckle as he came back to stand at her side again. "I'll let a fire up there and smoke it out!"

Finally the 'big day' came but yet there was no baby. Charlie willingly accompanied Brax to see Tegan that afternoon. Having never gone through this experience of waiting with Ruby, Charlie couldn't really empathise with Tegan.

From the corner, Charlie watched as Tegan paced the room. Dr Alice had recommended walking or eating spicey foods to encourage labour. Steam was practically pouring out of Tegan's ears from the amount of hot chilli peppers that she had eaten. But yet there was no baby.

Dr Alice had mentioned one other remedy to encourage the labour but Charlie had immediately said no when Brax had mentioned it; sex.

"Is that doctor a nutcase or something?" Charlie protested, as she stripped her clothes to change into her pyjamas. "What the hell is she thinking suggesting you and Tegan have sex? Doesn't she know our situation by now?"

"Clearly not, babe," said Brax, as he took Charlie's hand and brought her close to his chest. "As if I would say yes anyway."

Charlie smiled and giggled slightly as he leant in and kissed her. The rest of the night was spent carrying out their favourite activity!

Sex! Charlie thought to herself, incredulously, as Brax kissed her neck tenderly. That doctor was barking mad!

"Oh my God, I am actually going to go crazy!" cried Tegan, glaring down at her large stomach. "Why won't she come out?"

"She's obviously not ready yet, Tegan," said Brax, trying to calm her down. Charlie watched their conversation from the far corner of the room, where she sat reading the paper. "Just be patient. She'll come out when it's the right time."

"Well I want that time to be right now, Brax!" wailed Tegan in frustation. "I'm going out!" she suddenly said, grabbing her handbag.

"Hey, no way!" said Brax, rushing over to block the door. "Dr Alice said you're meant to be taking things easy!"

Tegan glared at Brax, venomously. "I am merely going out for a walk! That is hardly over doing things!"

With a strength that Brax didn't know she had, Tegan pushed him out of the way and walked confidently out the door.

Charlie came to stand beside Brax, and took his hand, as he watched her walk away into the distance.

"I hope she doesn't do anything stupid," he said, anxiously.

"She loves that baby as much as you do," reassured Charlie, laying her head against his arm. "She won't do anything."

Brax looked sceptically at the spot where Tegan had stood. "I wonder about that sometimes…."

Charlie smiled sadly and then, as she saw the time on her watch, gasped suddenly. "Is it seven o' clock already? Jeez, I have to go!" she said, grabbing her handbag and keys.

"Where are you going?" asked Brax curiously, as she pecked him on the cheek and stepped out of the door.

"I have to pick up something in this shop in Yabbie Creek before it closes!" she said, walking away as she spoke to him. "I'll call you later," she said, blowing him a kiss.

Jumping into her car, Charlie quickly drove to Yabbie Creek, hoping the shop wouldn't be closed. She thought of Tegan walking around, all alone, and a small part of her began to worry. She shoved it aside, assuring herself that Tegan would be fine.

Pulling up on the main street, she stepped quickly into the doors of the shop. As she began to talk with the store manager, Tegan quickly went to the back of her mind.

"So Tegan hasn't arrived home yet?" said Charlie into the phone as she sat in her parked car.

"Yeah, I'm actually getting kind of worried," said Brax. Charlie could hear the anxiety behind his words. "She left her phone here so I can't get through to her, and it's pouring raining! I hope she's ok...?"

"Well I'm driving home now, I'll keep an eye out for her," said Charlie, reassuringly.

"Thanks babe," said Brax, appreciatively. "I've got a few things to do here but I'll be around to your place later! Is that ok?"

"Of course," said Charlie, happily, putting the keys in the ignition. "I'll see you then!"

"Definately! Love you," said Brax, before the line went dead.

The roads, and streets, of Summer Bay were empty as the rain came pouring down. Charlie could not see Tegan anywhere and began to share Brax's anxiety. She could only hope that Tegan had found shelter in the porch of a shop or a bar.

A few minutes after she arrived home, Charlie heard a knock on the door. Opening it, she gasped as she saw Tegan on the doorstep, soaking wet. She was clutching her tummy and letting out painful gaps.

"Charlie, you have to help me," she said, desperately. "My waters have broken!"

Thank you all so much! <3

Chapter 15

Quickly, Charlie led Tegan into the house, hoping to make it to the bathroom but then suddenly Tegan screamed and collapsed onto the floor.

"I can't! I can't walk anymore! I can feel the baby coming now!"

"Ok, ok, Tegan just breathe for me please," said Charlie, as Tegan lay her back against the wall. "I'm going to call Brax ok! We're going to get you to the hospital!"

Pressing one on her speed dial, Charlie immediately got through to Brax.

"Charlie, have you found her?"

"Brax, you have to get over here now! Tegan's gone into labour!"

"Ok, ok, I'm coming right now!" said Brax. Charlie could hear rustling in the backdoor as he grabbed his keys. "Stay with her, Charlie, please! Make sure the baby's ok!"

"I will, I will, I promise!" said Charlie. Then the line went dead.

Charlie dropped it quickly and ran back over to Tegan, kneeling down beside her. "Ok, ok, Tegan, Brax is coming over right now! We're going to take you to the hospital and everything's going to be ok, ok?"

"Charlie, it hurts so bad!" said Tegan, as her face scrunched up with the pain.

"I know, I know it must hurt really bad but Tegan, you have just got to try and relax! Stressing out is not good for the baby! I want you to breathe for me, can you do that? Just breathe, in and out, in and out."

In an effort to support her, Charlie began to breathe with Tegan too. Charlie watched as Tegan's face relaxed a little as the contraction passed.

"Ok Tegan, I want you to count the seconds in between your contractions, ok?"

"They keep coming every few seconds, Charlie, is that bad?" asked Tegan, fretfully.

"I really don't know Tegan, I'm sorry," said Charlie, sadly, as Tegan's face scrunched up again with the pain.

Then suddenly the backdoor burst open, and in came Brax, soaked to the skin thanks to the rain.

"Tegan, Tegan look, Brax is here," said Charlie, smiling at her encouragingly. "We're going to get you to the hospital now, ok?"

"No, we can't!" said Brax, looking desperately into Charlie's eyes.

"What d'you mean we can't?" cried Tegan, looking up at Brax.

"The rain, it's got so bad, the roads are closed!" said Brax, his body shaking as he gathered his breath.

"Wait, so, we have to deliver the baby here?" asked Charlie.

Brax nodded.

"Ahhh!!" cried Tegan, both with pain from the contractions and frustration.

"Ok, ok, this is what we're going to do," said Charlie, immediately activating her plan mode. "Brax, I want you to grab all the towels from the bathroom and sterilise one of the scissors in the kitchen, and Tegan, I want you to keep breathing like you were with me before, ok?"

Tegan nodded and followed Charlie's rhythm as she breathed in and out with her. Brax quickly returned from the bathroom, his arms laden with towels. Under Charlie's instructions, he quickly spread them around Tegan and under her legs. He then placed the scissors on the floor beside Charlie.

Both Charlie and Brax froze as Tegan suddenly let out her loudest scream. "Oh my God, I need to push, I need to push!"

"Ok, ok, just go with it Tegan, just go with it!" cried Charlie. "Brax, go behind her back and support her shoulders. Tegan, when you next feel like you need to push, just go with it! We're going to get this baby out, ok!"

Seconds later, Tegan screamed again and began to push. Reaching out for Charlie, Tegan grabbed her hands and squeezed them as tight as possible as she pushed harder and harder.

"Brax, take her hands! I can see the baby coming!" cried Charlie, looking in between Tegan's legs.

Outside, the loud wind and rain drowned Tegan's screams so that anybody nearby would have thought they were just wails in the wind.

"Tegan, I can see her, she's coming!" cried Charlie, a wide smile on her face as she laughed in amazment. "Tegan, I just need to push one more time and it'll all be over. Let's do it together, ok, one, two, three!"

With all the strength she had left, Tegan began to push. Holding Brax's hand, she pushed even harder until finally she knew it was all over.

"She's here, Tegan! She's here!" cried Charlie, happily as she wrapped the little baby girl in one of the towels.

She then lifted Tegan's new daughter up to her and nestled her within her arms. Overwhelmed with the emotion of it all, Tegan burst into tears as she looked into the face of her new baby girl. Charlie smiled as she watched this centuries old moment of mother and daughter meeting for first time. She then looked up at Brax and was surprised to see a tear trailing down his face as he rubbed his daughter's cheek with the back of his finger.

Taking a deep breath to relax herself, Charlie sat back against the leg of the table. She was happy for Brax and Tegan; that they now had one of life's greatest gifts. However the moment then

became tinged with sadness as Charlie realised that Tegan now had an unbreakable bond with Brax –their daughter.

Brax looked up to Charlie, mouthed thank you to her, then returned to doting on his beautiful daughter. Charlie looked at the man she loved staring happily into the eyes of the child whose mother has ruined their relationship .

She sighed unhappily as she came to a realisation. Contrary to what she had hoped, things were not much better now. In Charlie's eyes, they were in fact worse.

As Charlie heard the backdoor open, she jumped up and ran into the kitchen. She saw the startled faces of her own daughter and her friend as they saw the scene in the living room.As they looked up to Charlie in wonder, she closed the door behind her, ready to explain to them about the unexpected guest.

Thank you all so much! :wink: <3

Chapter 16

Having rung the doctor when the storm was over, it was under Sid's orders that Tegan and the baby be brought immediately to the hospital for a check-up. Over the phone, he commended Charlie for what she had done, saying that in her current situation, what she had done for Tegan was truly amazing.

Charlie stayed at home with Leah and Ruby while Brax brought Tegan and the baby to the hospital. They silently cleared up the living room of all the towels that spread across the floor. Ruby kept looking at Charlie's face, nervous as to what was going through her mother's head.

Eventually, Charlie sighed and stood up from the floor, her knees red from kneeling for so long. "Leah, I'm sorry, I'm going to go to bed for a while, I'm just exhausted!"

Leah nodded understandingly, and watched her friend anxiously as she walked into her bedroom, closing the door behind her. She exchanged a worried glance with Ruby.

"She can't be coping well," she said to Ruby, worriedly. "Charlie is an emotionally wreck but yet she hasn't shed one tear the entire time? She must be bottling up her feelings!"

"What can we do though, Leah?" asked Ruby, exasperately. "If we attempt to make Charlie to tell us how she's feeling, she will just push us away!"

"Well then we have to assure her that when she is ready to talk, that we are here!" insisted Leah. "We may be the only people who she can truly be open to!"

In her soundproof bedroom, across the hall, Charlie lay awake on the bed, her mind going through everything that had happened the last 24 hours.

She had delivered Tegan's baby.

What a contrast to what she had expected of the day. She had expected to be standing at the far end of a hospital corridor, expected to see Brax pacing it anxiously, while Tegan would be giving birth to his child through the door.

But no, that did not turn out to be the case.

Charlie lifted her heavy head from her pillow as she heard her phone ring. A message from Brax.

My beautiful baby girl has just got the all clear from the hospital. Tegan has to stay in until tomorrow but Sid said I can bring the baby home. Can I come around to yours?

Charlie sighed, reluctantly texting Brax back, saying yes, of course. She knew that Brax would return with the baby soon, and that he would want Charlie to meet her...and to be a part of her life.

Charlie sighed unhappily, laying her head down on the pillow again. This time, as the sleep deprivation caught up with her, Charlie did in fact fall asleep. Her sleep became so deep that she didn't even hear Brax open her bedroom door, with the baby in his arms.

"Charlie? Charlie, wake up, I'd like you to meet someone," he said, nudging her arm with his elbow.

Charlie's eyes fluttered open and immediately focused on the baby girl that was sleeping peacefully in Brax's arms.

"She's really beautiful," Charlie admitted, sitting up straight in the bed.

"Would you like to hold her?" Brax asked, already lifting the baby in Charlie's direction.

Not wanting to hurt Brax's feelings, Charlie held out her arms for the baby and Brax gently lowered his daughter into his girlfriend's arms.

As Charlie looked down at the sleeping baby in her arms, Brax ran his fingers through Charlie's hair, in awe of her composure and her strength.

"You are amazing, you know," he said, in a matter-of-fact tone.

Charlie looked at him in surprise. "How is that exactly?"

"What you did for Tegan, and the baby...you are just amazing Charlie. Thank you!"

Charlie smiled at him softly.

Brax then lifted his hand to her cheek and leaned in softly to kiss her. The kiss was passionate yet soft and tender. Wanting to hold this moment, Brax then laid his forehead against Charlie, sighing in happiness and comfort.

"I love you," he said, looking into her eyes.

She smiled back, the love clearly shown in her eyes. "I love you too!"

Then in Charlie's arms, the little girl began squirming. Charlie chuckled lightly. "It seems someone is getting jealous!"

Brax laughed too and stretched his fingers out to tickle his daughter's chest fondly. "Well, she'll just have to get used to it!" he said, looking at Charlie lovingly. "I now have two important women in my life!"

Charlie smiled at him but once again returned her gaze to the baby in her arms. "So have you and Tegan thought of a name yet?"

"No...for some reason Tegan wasn't very bothered about choosing a name," said Brax, a confused look on his face as he watched Charlie tickle the baby under the chin. "I guess maybe we should name her so?"

Charlie looked up at Brax, startled. "We?"

"Yeah, of course," said Brax, wrapping his arm around Charlie's back. "I want you to be part of this too, Charlie!"

"What, like an Aunty or something?" asked Charlie, biting her lip, unsure.

"Yeah, something like that," said Brax, smiling at her reassuringly. "So...have you any suggestions?"

Charlie looked down into the baby's face, thoughtfully. "Well...I think the name Lily really suits her. She just looks like a Lily to me..?"

Brax looked into his daughter's face and smiled. "You're right; Lily does suit her, perfectly! Lily it is so!"

Charlie and Brax exchanged a smile and together they looked down in Lily's face as she slept peacefully in Charlie's arms.

Briefly, a small twinge of guilt lodged itself in Charlie's heart. She could already feel herself bonding with Lily...but would Tegan want that bond to exist?

Tegan rolled over uncomfortably in the hospital bed. She always hated hospitals; the food was horrible and the bed sheets were thin and cold. She couldn't wait until she could get out of the place so her life could start again.

Tegan grabbed her phone as it rang loudly, and read the text that Kyle had sent her.

Hey Teegs. Massive house party at mine tomorrow. Free drinks for all attendants. You better be there. It's going to be off the hook!

Tegan was about to text him back, instantly agreeing to his invite, her first chance at regaining her old life of partying every night and suffering from constant hangovers.

Then she received another text. This time it was from Brax and it was a picture of their baby. The caption read 'Lily'.

Tegan groaned unhappily as she knew that her old life was forever lost as now she had to take care of her baby daughter. She reluctantly texted Kyle back, informing him that she couldn't go to the party because of Lily.

Seconds later, her phone rang. It was Kyle and he was not taking no for an answer.

"Teegs, c'mon, it's going to be the most unreal party of the year! My folks are away for the weekend, and I took the keys to their mansion on the cliff. You just have to come!"

"Kyle, I can't! I have a baby to look after!" she said, realising that this would be the way her life would always be from then on; rejecting invitations to mind her baby.

"Bring the kid along," suggested Kyle, nonchalantly. "She can just hang in one of the bedrooms? C'mon Tegan, don't let a little baby stop you from having fun?"

Tegan paused for a moment and thought about it. Kyle was right; she could leave Lily in one of the far rooms at the back of the house where she could sleep away, undisturbed.

"Ok Kyle, I'll be there tomorrow night!" she promised, grinning happily. "D'you want me to bring anything?"

"Just bring yourself and a couple of beers, if you could," said Kyle. "Looking forward to seeing you Teegs. It's been too long!"

"See you tomorrow night, Kyle!" said Tegan, happily, before hanging up the phone.

Excited by the prospect of the party, Tegan curled up on the sheets and slept well that night. In her sleep, she saw herself returning to the life that she had missed so much. The life that had to be put on hold for nine months.

Well now Lily was born, and Tegan could return to her life. Kyle was right; Lily would be fine tomorrow night. She was only a baby afterall, she would just sleep the whole night.

Thank you all so so much! :wink: <3

Chapter 17

Charlie went with Brax to the hospital the next morning to pick up Tegan. She walked through the double doors of the hospital, with Lily sleeping peacefully in her arms.

To anyone who didn't know them, it would have appeared that the sleeping baby in Charlie's arms was in fact her own daughter, but, oh, how wrong they were.

However, having spent the whole night with Brax and Lily, and mainly doting over Lily, Charlie knew that she would find it hard to be separated from the little girl. She had already stolen a piece of Charlie's heart!

Brax knocked on Tegan's hospital door and, after a few minutes, gently opened it. He smiled as he saw Tegan was packed and ready to go.

She looked up and smiled at him briefly. "Thanks for coming to pick me up. I've been practically waiting for you all morning. Hospitals drive me crazy."

"Tegan, there's someone here too who I think wants to see you!" said Brax, opening the door a little wider.

Tegan looked up enquiringly but her interest dropped as she saw it was only Charlie with Lily in her arms. Charlie walked over to Tegan, beginning to offer Lily to her, but Tegan just waved her hands away.

"Maybe you should just hold onto her Charlie. I'm still a bit sore."

Charlie nodded understandingly, and left the room again, quickly followed by Brax and Tegan. Tegan seemed to care little as Brax and Charlie carefully lowered Lily into her car seat, and not once throughout the journey did she look back at her baby or check to see if she was ok.

Charlie observed these actions by Tegan as they drove along but thought little of them. Tegan was no doubt just tired from the stressful few days she had had.

Arriving at Tegan's hotel, all three of them stepped out of the car. Brax unloaded Tegan's suitcase from the boot of the car and then went to stand beside Charlie, who was hovering close to Lily.

"Tegan, Charlie and I are going out to dinner tonight so we were thinking of dropping Lily off here at around six o' clock, is that ok?"

"Um..yeah,sure, that sounds fine," said Tegan, not really listening as she dug through her handbag, looking for her keys. "I'm meeting friends tonight anyway so I was going to bring her with me. Introduce them to her, you know."

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea," said Brax. "Just remember that she needs feeding around eight and that she'll need checking throughout the night. Charlie and I will feed her before we drop her off but she will become hungry again so please remember to feed her. And no doubt she will need changing throughout the evening too."

"Yeah, sure, of course," said Tegan, not really taking in anything that Brax said. "I know what to do, I am her mother after all."

Charlie looked up at Brax uncertainly. Tegan really didn't seem to be taking this as seriously as she should. From his expression, Charlie knew Brax shared her sentiments.

"Tegan, are you sure you're ready for this? Charlie and I can cancel are dinner plans and help you with Lily if you want?"

"No, no, of course not," insisted Tegan. "I am not cancelling this thing tonight with my friends. I haven't been out in almost a year!"

"Ok, well, if you're sure...?"

"Brax, we'll be grand, chill," insisted Tegan, rolling her eyes at him. "Look, I've got to run. I'll see you later on! Bye!" she said, lifting her suitcase and running through the revolving doors of the hotel before Brax could say another word.

Brax exchanged an anxious look with Charlie again before they sat into the car and drove back home, the former Hunter/Holden house.

"Why I am suddenly worried about tonight?" asked Brax, as he watched Charlie laying Lily on her bed.

Charlie sighed and looked up at Brax. "Tegan doesn't seem to be taking this seriously, does she?"

Brax shook his head. "Are we doing the right thing by giving Lily to her tonight?"

"She's Lily's mother, she needs to spend time with her to form the bond. Tegan wouldn't do anything to hurt Lily, she's not stupid."

"I wish I could be sure of that," said Brax, as he looked at his daughter worriedly.

The house was all but silent, apart from the Mozart music that played in the background while he fed Lily her five o' clock bottle of milk. Lily's eyes were wide open as she hungrily drank the milk, looking into Brax's eyes making him feel as if she knew who he was.

Brax looked up at the clock on the wall. Tegan had said she would drop around at about 5.15pm to pick up Lily. Holding Lily with his right arm, Brax rinsed the empty milk bottle and placed it in the sink. Laying her into her car seat, he checked that she had everything in her bag for the evening.

Without any help from Tegan, Charlie and Brax had bought everything that Lily would need in the baby shop in Yabbie Creek. From a changing table to nappies, to a high-tech stroller and pots of baby formula, Charlie and Brax had assured that Lily would never have the need for anything.

As Brax heard a knock on the front, he picked up Lily, who was asleep in her seat, and walked down the hall. He paused, his hand on the knob, and sighed reluctantly before opening it. Tegan stood on the doorstep, dressed up to the nines, her first night out since before she fell pregnant.

After receiving instructions from Brax, Tegan nervously lifted Lily, who was in her car seat, down to the driveway and loaded her, as carefully as she could, into her friend's car. She did not see Brax standing on the porch, watching her, as the car drove away. He hoped that she would take care of Lily, and that he wouldn't be receiving a phone call in the middle of the night...

Driving into the driveway of Kyle's mansion, Tegan grinned happily as she heard the loud music and saw people dancing through the window. Jumping out the car, she ran to the front door and rang the bell enthusiastically.

Kyle appeared at the door and his lips parted into a wide smile as he saw Tegan standing on the porch. "Teegs! Long time no see, babe! How's it going?!"

"Good, thanks," said Tegan, stepping out of the hug.

"I see you decided to leave your kid at home…?" he said, seeing no baby in her arms.

"My kid, what…" then suddenly Tegan gasped and ran back to the car where Lily was still sleeping peacefully. Lifting the car out, she walked back over to the house.

Brax was right to be worried….

Thank you all again so much! <3

Chapter 18

The music was so loud as Tegan walked through the front door of Kyle's house. It wasn't even that late and the place was already packed. As Tegan carried Lily through the house to the spare room she could already hear people throwing up in the bathroom and could see empty cups and spilt drink all over the floor.

In protest to all the noise, Lily began to cry, squirming restlessly in her seat. Tegan began to panic, almost dropping the car seat. Laying it on the bed, she didn't know what to do to stop the baby from crying. She looked around the room and then into Lily's bag, desperately trying to find something to stop the crying. But Tegan could find nothing. As Lily's discomfort continued, her crying grew louder and louder. Tegan raised her hands to her ears, unable to bear it.

Once more she attempted to calm Lily down by rocking the seat gently but to no avail. As Lily's crying continued, Tegan could no longer stand it and she ran from the room, closing the door behind her. As she headed in the direction of the kitchen, the loud music drowned Lily's crying until finally Tegan felt relaxed. Grabbing a drink from the fridge, Tegan immediately downed it, hoping to soothe the ache that now throbbed in her head.

With every drink that Tegan had she began to forget more and more about Lily. She jumped into the centre of the make-shift dance floor and showed off some killer moves to Kyle and his friends. Wolf whistled filled the room and all the guys kept clapping, urging Tegan to continue.

Then a hand reached out to Tegan in the middle of the dance floor and she pulled into the arms of a man, not that much older than her. As he brought her close to his chest, Tegan grinned happily as she felt the muscles underneath his shirt. Pulling the tie that was tied loosely around his neck, Tegan pulled him into the bathroom and slammed the door behind him. The door opened about half an hour later and the guy walked out first, buttoning up his shirt and looking entirely satisfied with himself. Tegan emerged a few minutes later, a look of pain on her face. She rubbed in between her legs with her hands and winced. The docs were right when they said she shouldn't have sex too soon after having the baby.

But Tegan wasn't going to let her post-natal problems ruining the evening. As Kyle walked down the hallway with vodka shots on a tray, Tegan grabbed one and downed it quickly. Kyle turned back to her and wink.

"Oh, by the way, Jason said it was about time he had you!" before walking back into the kitchen where the noise was even louder than before. Rolling her eyes, Tegan headed back out to the dancefloor but from then on was shoving away the arms of every man that wrapped his around her waist.

As the party went on further into the night, Tegan was thrilled by the feeling of exhilaration, and had almost completely forgotten about Lily until she spotted someone lifting her car seat over their heads, and bouncing it to the music. Tegan's mind snapped back to reality, and she shoved everybody aside, trying to reach Lily.

"Put her down!" screamed Tegan, running over to the man, thumping him on the back.

The man turned around and Tegan immediately realised that he was drunk. So as not to aggravate him, Tegan conversed with him briefly before finally convincing him to give Lily back. Tegan then escaped once more to the spare room, and locked the door behind her. Laying Lily on the bed, she began to dial Brax's number. Guilt washed through her as she realised how much of a risk she had put Lily's life at tonight.

Without explaining much to Brax, she managed to convince him to come and pick her up. Meanwhile she stayed in the spare room, and tried to ignore Lily as she continued to cry.

Within minutes Brax arrived at the house, and ignoring the drunken people that ravaged through the house, Brax headed towards the bedrooms. He knew instantly which room it was from Lily's constant crying. He burst the door open and was shocked to see Tegan sitting on the floor, covering her ears, while Lily sat in her car seat, bawling.

"Tegan, what are you doing? You can't just leave her crying like that," protested Brax, walking over and lifting Lily into his arms, rocking her slowly in an attempt to soothe her.

"I'm sorry, Brax, she just wouldn't stop crying!" said Tegan, desperately, relieved as Lily's crying finally ceased as Brax held her in his arms.

Tegan looked up into Brax's face nervously, as he glared down at her. Once he had settled Lily, he lowered her back into her car seat. Grabbing her bag, he lifted her seat out the door and down the corridor. Collecting her stilettos, which now lay on the floor, Tegan sighed heavily and reluctantly followed Brax out of the door.

The ride home was an awkward affair. Tegan couldn't even look at Lily, who was finally sleeping peacefully across from her. In the rearview mirror, Brax occasionally looked back at Tegan, trying to read the expression that was on her face. He couldn't understand how a mother could be so reckless; how she could put her child in such danger.

It was eleven o' clock by the time Brax arrived home, having dropped Tegan off at her hotel. He smiled, exhausted but happy, as he saw Charlie's car in the drive way. He opened the front door to see her standing in the hallway, her face full of worry and the phone at her ear.

"It's ok, Georgia, they're back," she said, quickly, before hanging up the phone. "Where the hell were you? And why is Lily with you? It's gone one o' clock; she should have been in bed hours ago!"

"I'm sorry, Charlie," said Brax, sighing with exhaustion. Seeing this, Charlie reached out and took Lily from him, immediately taking her to the nursery.

Brax followed behind, and leaned against the doorway, watching Charlie as she tucked Lily into her crib. His eyes were drooping and he was almost asleep as Charlie touched his arm softly. He opened his eyes to see her smiling at him softly.

"C'mon, let's go to bed," she said, taking his hand and pulling him to their bedroom. "The most important thing is that you are both home safely. You can explain to me what happened in the morning.

With the little energy that he had left, Brax managed to change out of his clothes and slip into bed. Charlie turned off the light and slipped into the bed, beside him, where Brax wrapped his arm around her, pulling him tight to her.

He buried his face in her hair, and breathed out in relaxation. "I love you," he whispered softly. She smiled, reached back and patted his cheek with her hand. "I love you too. Now go to sleep."

When Charlie heard no response, she smiled softly, before pulling the duvet up tightly around her and falling asleep.

Thanks again! <3 xx

Chapter 19

Tegan woke up late the next morning, and groaned loudly as she began to feel the painful thumping in her head. Attempting to rise from the bed, she wobbled slightly but managed to make her way to the sink, where she poured herself a glass of water and drowned it quickly. Looking into the mirror she saw that her make-up was smudged all over her face, so her eyes resembled those of pandas. She sighed heavily and sat down in front of the mirror, and began to remove the leftover make-up.

The rest of the afternoon, Tegan spent recovering from the night before. Even after several glasses of water, a brisk walk and a shower, Tegan still felt oddly exhausted. She was often tired after a night out but never this tired.

After taking two paracetamol, hoping that would help, she was about to relax in front of the television when she heard a knock on the door. She was surprised to see Charlie on the doorstep, Lily propped up in her arms. Tegan gulped nervously, ready for a lecture, but no lecture came. Charlie merely stood on the doorstep, biting her lip slightly, looking uncomfortable, and waiting for Tegan to invite her inside.

"Um…Brax told me about what happened last night," she said, as Tegan stepped aside, allowing her in. "He wanted me to come around today to…help you out."

"Help me out or keep an eye on Lily," asked Tegan, narrowing her eyes in suspicion.

Charlie smiled guiltily and Tegan sighed. "I guess it's to be expected. Come in," she said, stepping aside. "So…what exactly did Brax want you to 'help' me with?"

"He wanted you and I to give Lily a bath," said Charlie, laying Lily's car seat on the table. "I learnt a lot of that kind of stuff when Ruby was growing up so he thought I could teach you."

"Oh…um, really? asked Tegan, watching Lily nervously. Lily stared back, just as curiously, into her mother's eyes.

"Yeah…it can be quite daunting at first when you don't know how to do it, but after a while you'll get the hang of it."

Tegan nodded, continuously watching Lily nervously.

"Here, will you hold her while I find her towel?" asked Charlie, offering Lily to her.

Tegan instantly began to panic. Her arms were shaking as she reluctantly accepted Lily from Charlie. Unfortunately, her arms were in the wrong place and Tegan almost dropped Lily but luckily Charlie was on hand.

"Tegan, you have to put one hand under her body, and the other behind her head," said Charlie, positioning Tegan's hands correctly, before laying Lily within them again. "Surely, you remember that from the La Mas (?) class?"

"Yeah…yeah of course I remember that," said Tegan, quickly, watching Lily nervously. This was revenge for daydreaming in those darn classes! "I'm her mother, after all, what do you expect?"

Charlie looked uncertainly at Tegan before returning to the sink. "I'll take her there again," said Charlie, stretching out her hands. Tegan gladly returned Lily to Charlie's arms. She breathed out heavily with relief. Charlie looked at her quizzically. "Are you ok? You seem a little panicked?"

"I'm fine, I promise," assured Tegan, a complete paradox to her true feelings.

"Hmm…ok," said Charlie, rocking Lily slowly in her arms. "Tegan will you make sure the water is just the right temperature. It can't be too hot or it could burn her."

Tegan walked over to the sink and dipped her hands in, testing the heat against her skin. "Yeah, it seems fine, Charlie."

"Tegan, do you remember the right way to test the water for the baby?"

Without any warning, Tegan suddenly burst into tears and fell to the floor. Charlie, shocked by the expectedness of it, lay Lily down quickly in her cae seat, before rushing back over to Tegan and kneeling down beside her.

"Tegan, Tegan, what's wrong? Did I say something to upset you?"

"I can't do it, Charlie, I just can't do it!" cried Tegan, covering her face with her hands.

"Can't do what?"

"I can't look after her! Lily…I just can't!" she cried out, tears streaming down her face.

"Tegan, that's ok! There are plenty of first time mothers don't know how to look after their babies. But with proper guidance you will be a great mother to Lily," assured Charlie, rubbing her shaking back softly.

"But Charlie, I don't know if I want to learn," said Tegan, her tears now ceasing a little.

"What do you mean?" asked Charlie, frowning in confusion.

As more tears trailed down her cheeks, Tegan looked over to where Lily slept peacefully in her car seat. "I don't know if I love her."

Charlie stepped back a little, surprised by Tegan's sudden outburst. She looked from Lily to Tegan again and realised that this would take more than just giving Lily a bath.

"Ok, Tegan, come on, stand up," she said, wrapping her arms around Tegan's back and supporting her as she stood up. Directing Tegan over to the armchair, she lowered her down gently. "Tegan, I'm just going to call Brax, ok? And let him know how things are going. I'll be back in two minutes."

Leaving Tegan curled up in the armchair, her breathing now steadying again, Charlie went into the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

"Brax, it's me… Um, no, everything's not quite alright…. No, Lily's fine, that's not it. It's Tegan…. Um…she's ok but I think we need Sid to talk to her. There's something going on and I think she needs professional help!"

Sid paused at his desk, observing Tegan's file again. Having spoken with the psychologist and psychiatrist, they had both advised him on Tegan's case. As he was less of a stranger to Tegan than his colleagues, Sid agreed that he would tell Tegan the news.

He knocked on the hospital door gently, before opening it. Tegan was lying out on the bed, her eyes closed, and her chest rising and falling as she slept. Knowing their complicated situation, Sid was surprised to see Charlie sitting in the chair by the head of the bed.

As Sid walked further into the room, Charlie leaned over and gently nudged Tegan's arm. Tegan blinked a few times before jumping up, her expression was one of panic.

Sid smiled gently and came to stand at the foot of the bed. As he opened the file, Tegan grabbed Charlie's hand. Charlie smiled at Tegan, supportively, and squeezed her hand.

"Having spoken to both Dr. Long and Dr. Harrison, they have both come to a conclusion which I suspected not long after Lily's birth."

Tegan took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, ready to expect the worse.

"Tegan, it appears you have Post-Natal Depression," said Sid, his face void of emotion.

"What is that exactly?" asked Tegan, frowning with confusion.

"Post-Natal Depression," explained Sid. "Is a form of depression which can affect some mothers after childbirth."

"How did I get it exactly?"

"Well no one really knows for sure how this Depression is contracted. In some cases, if the pregnancy or the birth was particularly traumatic, it can have an effect on the mother's relationship with her baby. The symptoms include a feeling of being overwhelmed, exhaustion or a feeling of inadequacy in taking care of the baby. Have you experienced any of those symptoms, Tegan?"

"Pretty much all of them," admitted Tegan, her voice shaking.

Sid shook his head, understandably.

"So, how exactly can Tegan get over this?" asked Charlie.

"Well, Tegan, your psychologist has recommended that you and Lily attend a mother and child support group; who are people who will help you connect with Lily. Through these sessions you will discover more about what Lily likes and dislikes, and so you will be able to take care of her better. Should your situation not improve, there is certain medication that we can put you on to control your depression, if you would like, but that is only worst case scenario. You will mainly need the support of your friends and family to get you through this, Tegan."

Tegan nodded and breathed out heavily as Sid gave her a reassuring smile. Tegan was glad that finally she would get help for what was going on in her head. Dr Walker promised that they would help her take better care of Lily. Tegan felt uncomfortable at this point of the conversation, for she was not sure whether she even wanted to take care of Lily…

Thank you all so much! :wink: <3

Chapter 20

Having left theobservation room, Charlie and Tegan walked down the corridor towards thehospitals exit. Beyond the sliding doors, Tegan could see Brax's black jeeppulled up outside. Wanting a moment to themselves, she took Charlie's handquickly and pulled her to the side. Charlie looked slightly surprised by thismove but did not protest.

Gathering her strength, Tegan look sincerely into Charlie's eyes. "I would just like to say thank you for how much of a help you have been to me lately," she said, biting her lip, unsure whether Charlie would accept her thanks. "I know that I didn't deserve any of it…especially after what I did but I would just like to say thank you, Charlie."

Charlie gave Tegan a small grateful smile. "I don't hate you, Tegan, if that is what you're thinking. I don't believe that you set out to cause trouble for me or Brax. I think things just happened that day, maybe not for the right reasons, but they happened. Anyway, something amazing came out of it all so…I guess in some ways, I wouldn't change what happened."

Tegan smiled and followed Charlie through the double doors. Tegan could already see how attached Charlie was to Lily. She could see it every time Charlie looked or held Lily in her arms. They just had a bond. Tegan didn't feel jealous or put out by this thought. In fact, she was relieved that her daughter had someone as kind hearted as Charlie to look after her.

Tegan loved Lily enough to want her to have that.

As part of the bonding process, Tegan moved with Charlie and Brax into the previously occupied Holden/Hunter house in Summer Bay. As Tegan passed the master bedroom, she could hear Lily gurgling inside the door. She poked her head around the door and watched somewhat sadly as Charlie lifted Lily into her air, bouncing her up and down. Tegan then jumped as the door opened fully and out came Brax.

For a moment he was startled, but then he stood bedroom, extended his arm out, inviting Tegan into their bedroom.

"Would you like to help Charlie change Lily for her nap?" he asked, smiling at Tegan kindly.

Tegan looked to Charlie, who nodded, encouragingly. Nervously, Tegan walked into the room and went to stand beside the changing table. She watched Charlie as she stripped Lily of her daytime outfit. She watched as Charlie held Lily's head, supportively, so the baby's head would not flop backwards. When Charlie went to lift Lily into her arms, Tegan noted the position of Charlie's arms, one at her back and one behind Lily's head.

Walking over to where Tegan stood by the bed, Charlie gently lowered Lily into her arms while Brax hovered in the background, his arms outstretched should anything happen. Tegan's arms shook a little as she held Lily in her arms, feeling the full weight of her body. Lily looked up at her mother, her eyes wide with curiosity. Tegan looked into her daughter's bright eyes and could see a small bit of herself in Lily. Otherwise, she was entirely Brax's daughter; she had her father's thick hair and beautiful face. When Charlie returned with Lily's pajamas, she held Lily while Tegan pulled it through her legs and arms.

"Well done, Tegan," said Charlie, smiling at her widely.

Tegan smiled back, just as happy. She felt more confident and capable, and the shaking in her arms ceased as she propped Lily up, supportively, in her arms. Brax walked over to them and stretched his finger out to rub Lily's face but instead she grabbed it with her little hand, holding it tightly. Tegan and Brax laughed at their mischievous daughter. In the background, Charlie smiled and slipped out of the room, leaving mother and father to bond with their daughter.

Bringing Lily over to the bed, Tegan lay her down on the duvet, where she began to squirm and giggle happily as she looked up at her parents. Brax looked at Tegan, and smiled as he saw her smiling and laughing. It was only the beginning in tackling her depression and already she was overcoming it.

"You're doing really great, you know," he said, smiling at her encouragingly.

Tegan chuckled and let out a shaky breath. "I thought for a while that I was just not cut out to be a mother. I couldn't do anything right, which led me to be nervous around Lily. I was afraid of doing something wrong, of hurting her! So, I would just not do anything."

"That's great that you're able to recognize what you were doing wrong! That is such an amazing step, Tegan!"

Tegan rolled her eyes. "Well, my psychologist has been an amazing help. She made me see things that I never really saw before, and she reassured me that first-time mothers are not meant to know what to do instantly! I always thought it would just come naturally but it never did, so it is relief to know that that can happen, that I'm not alone!"

"You'll never be alone in this, Tegan," said Brax, taking her hand and squeezing it supportively. Brax looked away for a moment, his face full of thought, and then he looked to where Lily had now fallen asleep on the bed. "What happened that night was ultimately wrong, but I can't deny that you were a great help to me. You listened, you consoled me, and you were there when I needed something to talk to. Now, it's my turn to be there for you, me and Charlie, we'll be there with you all the way."

Tegan smiled at the mention of Charlie's name. "She's amazing, you know. I don't think I would be able to do what she's doing for me."

Brax smiled also and looked to the photo on the wall that held a picture of him and Charlie. "Yeah, she is amazing. She shouldn't have forgiven me…but she did."

"Isn't that what love is all about?" joked Tegan. "Forgive and forget?"

Brax nodded, chuckly.

Tegan returned her eyes to the bed where Lily slept peacefully. "I'm going to try and be a good mother to her, Brax," she promised confidence and strength in her voice. "I didn't look for this to happen but Lily's here now and she needs me to be there for her, and I…I'm going to try my very hardest to love her."

Brax stayed for a moment, watching as Tegan sat down on the bed and lifted Lily into her arms. Then, without uttering a word, he left the room, closing the door gently behind him. As he walked into the kitchen, Charlie looked up at him, enquiringly. He merely smiled, and she returned one just as warm, and understanding. They both knew that the challenge that Tegan would face over the next few months, and were willing to be there to help.

By now, Charlie and Brax had grown accustomed to waking up in the middle to feed Lily. They took turns each night, reluctantly getting up to feed Lily her 2am bottle. On this particular night it was Charlie's turn. She had suggested it to Tegan who, at the time, had been enthusiastic but now appeared to have forgotten.

Charlie tried to understand how hard it was for Tegan, trying to create a bond with the baby she hadn't planned, but she had hoped Tegan could have at least showed a bit more interest. These nightly rituals were part and parcel with taking care of a baby and if Tegan truly wanted to learn how to take care of Lily, she would have to learn all this too.

However, being the kind person that Charlie was, she decided to leave Tegan sleep, and carried Lily, herself, to the kitchen, where she rocked her in her arms while she fed her the bottle of formula. Lily quickly fell asleep again once she had drained the bottle and Charlie was grateful for her warm bed again. As she pulled the duvet up over her, she felt Brax's arm wind itself around her waist.

"Did Tegan help you?" he asked, sleepily.

Charlie shook her head. Brax sighed and kissed her hair softly. "She's still getting used to Lily, Charlie. Give her some time."

Charlie nodded, and the room fell quiet again as Brax drifted off to sleep. However, Charlie stayed awake, wondering just how much time Tegan would actually need.

Archived