A Path Of Heartbreak

Guest LauraPhilly!!

The last chapter!

Thank you so much to everyone that read and commented on my fic over it's 31 chapters.

I have really appreciated your feedback.

I hope you enjoy this, the final installment.

Thanks, Laura

Chapter 31

Walking down the beach, Tegan smiled as she felt the wind blow in her face, the sun, warm on her cheeks and the glorious smell of the ocean that she had missed for those long seven years.

But now she was free. She was free to live her life again.

As she walked along the beach in Summer Bay, she reminded herself of why she had returned to this place that she never really belonged to. She wanted to make her peace with it. She wished to make her peace with Brax and Charlie too, but they were long gone, now living in the city, making their own family.

As the sun shone brightly in her face, Tegan squinted her eyes to make out the path in front of her. She was amazed to see Alf Stewart still walking along the beach, giving out to the new generation of River Boys as they discarded their empty beer bottles on the sand. As she passed them, she recognised none of them.

No Heath. No Casey.

This was a good thing, she realised, for Brax had wanted for so long to disassociate himself from them, and clearly his brothers had followed suit.

There was no conflict between them now, she saw. They were merely having a laugh; mock punching each other in the arms, no doubt discussing the latest wave they had conquered. Some things never changed…

And then, on the far side of the beach, she saw a familiar sight; a family enjoying a day out at the beach. They were your stereotypical family; the mum, the dad, the two children, even the dog. Tegan smiled as she watched them from a far; the children playing in the water while the parents watched on, the older of the two playing catch with the dog.

And then, the child lifted the ball, and threw it in Tegan's direction. Tegan watched the ball as it soared through the sky and quickly stepped aside, narrowly dodging it. And then the dog was running, and the child behind it. The dog scooped the ball into its mouth, and, upon seeing Tegan, released it at her feet, hoping that she too would continue the game. Laughing Tegan picked up the ball, and waited for the child as it came nearer.

Stopping beside the dog, the child, a young girl, with flowing blonde hair, bent over to catch her breath. "I'm sorry," she said, patting the dog's head, fondly. "Doogle can get a bit excited."

"That's ok, don't worry," said Tegan, smiling into the eyes of the girl. In her eyes, there was something that captured Tegan, something that that she had seen before….a long time ago. And then, it hit her. The girl that Tegan stood before was her own daughter. Staring dumbfounded into Lily's face, Tegan didn't know what to say.

"May I have my ball back please?" asked Lily, reaching out her hand to accept the ball.

"Lily, I told you that you are not supposed to speak to strangers!" came a young woman's voice from behind her.

Tegan looked up and was shocked again to see Charlie place her hands lightly on Lily's shoulders. "I'm sorry," she said, pushing Lily away gently. "My daughter and I will leave you enjoy the rest of your walk."

"That's ok," said Tegan, smiling. She looked at her daughter who was still eyeing her curiously as she looked up at Charlie; she saw where her arms then rested on her slightly round tummy.

"How far are you along?" said Tegan, indicating to Charlie's bump.

Charlie smiled, nervously but answered her nonetheless. "Um…seven months," she said, cautiously

"Congratulations, Charlie," said Tegan as Charlie and Lily turned the back, beginning to walk away.

Charlie froze and turned. Looking deeper into this seeming stranger's face, she then gasped as she she recognised this face from the past.

"Tegan?"

Tegan smiled lightly, her eyes twitching back and forth to Lily's face. "Yeah, it's me!"

"Oh my goodness," said Charlie, approaching her slowly and offering her a surprised hug. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," said Tegan, smiling at Lily lightly. Lily smiled back in confusion.

"We come here every summer," explained Charlie, as Lily threw the ball for Doogle behind her. "The kids love it so much. Would you like to come over and see Brax?"

"Oh no, that's ok," said Tegan. "I'm not sure he would be too pleased to see me anyway…"

"Don't be silly. We are well past that now," said Charlie, taking Tegan's hand and leading her over to Brax. "Lily, pick up the ball and follow us over, please."

Lily sighed, pulled the ball out from Doogle's mouth and followed her mother back over to where her father and little brother sat, Doogle trotting behind her happily. Running past her mother and Tegan, she made a beeline for her father, who was stretched out across the blanket, looking up at the sky. Jumping onto his chest, Lily giggled as Brax let out a small cry and sat up suddenly.

"Lily, you're going to kill me," wheezed Brax, as she rubbed his chest.

"Nothing can kill you, Daddy! You're too strong!" said Lily, kissing his cheek. Brax smiled and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly. "Where's your brother?"

"Building a sandcastle," said Lily, looking over to where Luke sat not far from his far, compiling with his small fists a large mound of sand. As he saw Charlie approach, he lifted himself up onto his two feet, and began to walk towards her, hands outstretched.

Charlie smiled down at him widely, and hoisted him up into his arms, holding his at her side so she was protecting her bump. "My best boy!" she said, kissing his nose fondly. "Brax, turn around. Look who it is."

Pushing Lily gently off his lap, Brax jumped up and had his hand outstretched, but then he saw that it was Tegan. His hand dropped immediately and instead he placed them, protectively, on Lily's shoulders. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came out today. Believe me; I wouldn't be here if I knew you guys were going to be here. I thought you lived in the city," insisted Tegan.

"Who is this Daddy?" asked Lily, quietly, looking up at her father, enquiringly.

Brax looked into Tegan's face and for once, he was nervous. Was this the time to tell her?

"Tegan is….an old friend," said Brax, smiling at her lightly. Tegan smiled back. "I used to be your Daddy's girlfriend, before he met your Mummy."

Lily nodded, and stepped back a little as she was leaning against Brax's chest. He wound his arms around her neck and held her tightly. Looking to Charlie, Brax saw Luke yawn in his arms. "We should really get going," said Brax. "Luke's tired."

"Yeah, I best be on my way anyway," said Tegan, stepping back a little from their family circle.

"Lily will you help me gather our stuff together please," asked Brax, as he began to pack away their picnic, trying to inconspicuously keep Lily away from Tegan. Charlie rolled her eyes; he was protective as ever.

"Actually Brax, would you mind Luke for a moment," said Charlie, laying the baby into his arms. "I just want to say goodbye to Tegan. Lily will you come with me," she asked, stretching out her hand.

Lily bounded forward and slipped her hand into Charlie's, and Charlie held it tightly as they walked up the beach beside Tegan. Brax watched them walk away, nervously. She was in no danger, he knew, but he would always protect his little girl.

Charlie, Lily and Tegan walked away together, silently, until they stopped at the top of the beach. Tegan stood opposite Charlie and Lily, and looked sadly into her daughter's face. Lily looked into this stranger's eyes curiously, unaware of whom she really was. And sould she ever find out, it would no doubt change a lot. But Tegan did not intend for Lily to find out that Charlie was not in fact her mother. Not like this anyway. Especially when she is so happy.

"This is goodbye I guess," said Tegan, shrugging her shoulders.

Charlie frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to Europe this evening," said Tegan, as Charlie raised her eyebrows in surprise. "I'm going to try and find a job. Not sure if I'll have much luck but I have to try."

"Well, it was good to see you, Tegan," said Charlie, smiling at her slightly.

Tegan smiled back and then looked into Lily's face. "You have a beautiful little girl, Charlie," she said, as Lily smiled at her. Charlie smiled and kissed the top of Lily's head. "Don't I know it."

"And good luck with number 3," she said, again indicating to Charlie's tummy. Charlie smiled appreciatively. Looking up at her Charlie, Lily said quietly, "Is it ok if I go back to Dad now, Mum?"

"Yes, of course, darling," said Charlie, smiling at her lovingly.

Tegan smiled as she watched her daughter running back down the beach towards Brax and Luke.

"She is so beautiful," said Tegan, as she watched her go. Charlie smiled at her. "She is your daughter, Tegan. Do not act so surprised!"

Tegan laughed lightly and looked at Charlie. "Thank you, for everything that you have done, and are doing. Lily couldn't have a better Mum."

Charlie smiled, reached out and squeezed Tegan's hand supportively. "Good luck, Tegan. I really hope you get what you want in Europe."

Tegan stepped back and shrugged. "I've got to try anyway."

She turned and began to walk down the steps towards the Surf Club. She turned once more and looked at Charlie. "I think my problem was I was afraid to love her, afraid that my love would somehow hurt her. I think I always loved her; I just didn't want to admit her."

Charlie smiled and watched as Tegan turned and walked away. Walking down the beach, back towards her family, she smiled as she saw Lily playing with Doogle and Brax bouncing up and down with Luke in his arms. Charlie looked to her daughter, her daughter but then again not her real daughter.

She and Brax had an unconventional family; soon-to-be two children were their own but the other being the daughter of somebody else. Would Charlie change a thing though? No. She and Brax had walked a path of heartbreak to get to where they were today but it was worth it. With her hand on her bump, and her eyes watching her family dotingly, Charlie knew for certain that it was all worth it.

Comments

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived