A Path Of Heartbreak

Guest LauraPhilly!!

Thanks again all of you! :wink:

Chapter 21

It appeared that Brax's words were wise as Charlie did in fact see a bond forming between Lily and Tegan over the next few months. However, what also worried Charlie was how close Tegan and Brax were becoming. Charlie knew they had always been good friends but the way that Tegan looked at Brax sometimes, Charlie wondered whether Tegan wanted them to be more than just friends.

Charlie wanted to trust that nothing was going on between them; however the incident of only a year ago still pained Charlie and questioned her trust of Brax. Charlie's weakness was that she loved him and that, because of this love, she might not see something that could be occurring right in front of her eyes. But after having her heart broken once, Charlie's eyes were more alert now to possible threats.

As Charlie stood watching Brax and Tegan giving Lily a bath, the question of whether Brax would betray her trust again ran through her mind. They looked like the perfect family; Lily splashing and giggling happily as her parents sponged her carefully, and Brax and Tegan laughing back, just as overjoyed at their daughter's happiness. Then Brax looked back at Charlie; he saw the unhappy and observant look on her face and frowned.

Walking over to her, he took her hands and smiled at her, wryly. "You look a little bit jealous, Charlie?" he said, jokingly, trying to make her laugh.

Charlie shook her head, and pulled her hand out of his. "I'm just concerned that's all."

"Concerned over what?"

Charlie bit her lip and looked up nervously into Brax's bemused eyes. "That you're going to hurt me again."

Brax frowned in confusion, and was about to strongly object to her accusation but then he saw the worry and anxiety in her eyes as she watched Tegan. He sighed heavily. He felt like kicking himself all over again like he did in those first few months after he and Charlie had broken up. She was clearly still hurting and unable to completely trust him. Brax knew his feelings for Charlie had not changed in the slightest, nor would they ever, but it appeared Charlie did not know this.

In a reconciliation gesture, he wound his arms around her waist and kissed her forehead softly, before laying his against hers.

"I will never hurt you again, Charlie. I promise."

In her heart, Charlie wanted to trust this promise but a part of her just couldn't forget that horrible day, and the feeling when her heart broke into a thousand pieces. In an effort to reassure him, she nodded and smiled at him bravely. He smiled and kissed her cheek and walked back over to where Tegan now had propped Lily up in her arms.

As Brax approached them, Charlie saw Tegan's eyes light up and Charlie watched as she leant her body towards his, so they were almost touching, as she pretended to play with their daughter. Charlie sighed and left the kitchen, unable to bear the sight. For the moment, she decided that she would not say anything however if Tegan, or even Brax, showed any signs of abusing her trust, Charlie would be out the door with a second glance. For the moment, she decided to give them both the benefit of the doubt. Would they waste their last chance?

Desperate to think of something else, Charlie splashed some cold water on her face, and stared at her own reflection in the bathroom mirror, deciding what she would do today. Remembering her promise to Ruby, she grabbed her keys and headed towards the front door.

"I'll be back later," she called out, just loud enough so that Brax would hear her, and she quickly left before Brax could respond, closing the door firmly behind her.

Ruby looked up from her books as she heard the key turn in the front door and was glad to see her Mother walking through the door. Charlie greeted her with a smile and happily sat down, opposite Ruby, at the table.

"Still studying?"

"Well if I want to pass my first year exams, I have to study non-stop!" she joked, despite, deep-down, unhappy about this depressing fact.

"Where are Leah and VJ?" Charlie asked, looking around the house, frowning at how quiet it was.

"Well, VJ's growth spurt has caused some problems for Leah," said Ruby, with a chuckle, reluctantly laying her pen down as she suspected Charlie was here for a long chat. "Last year's trousers are so short on him; they are just below his knees! He looked so funny before! He almost refused to go to school!"

Charlie laughed along with Ruby, relieved to be thinking about something about that her dramatic home life. "So, are you ready for lunch?"

Ruby frowned. "Lunch?"

"Yeah, lunch! Remember, we organised to go for lunch in Yabbie Creek today?" reminded Charlie, her heart deflating as she suspected Ruby had forgotten.

Ruby's mouth formed a wide 'O' as she gasped. "Charlie, I'm so sorry! I completely forgot! I've just had so much homework from Uni and I have these exams to study for…I'm so sorry!"

"It's ok…" said Charlie, despite her mind drifting back to less pleasant thoughts. "I guess I had just been hoping for a girl talk, that's all."

"Well, what's up?" asked Ruby, concerned as she saw the unhappiness in her mother's. "I can have for a break from study for a while. Let's talk." In a reassurance gesture, she stretched out her arm and took Charlie's hand, squeezing it comfortingly.

"I guess….things are just a bit hectic at home," she said, running her fingers through her hair. "I don't really know where I stand and that scares me a little."

"Why, what's happened?" asked Ruby, anxiously. "I thought things were going really well between you and Brax. You were the happiest I had seen you in ages only a few weeks ago?"

"Well…Tegan and Lily have just complicated matters," said Charlie, her eyes sparkling as tears threatened to fall down her cheek. "Tegan…I can't trust her! I see the way she is with Brax; I'm afraid she's going to try and take him away from me again, and I can't trust whether his feelings for me are true or not."

"I'm sorry, what? Is Tegan trying to get back with Brax?" asked Ruby, in disbelief.

Charlie shook her head, and then buried her head in her hands. "I don't know! I don't know what she is doing! But I don't trust her, Rubes! I don't trust her one bit! I see the way she smiles at Brax and he is such a guy that he doesn't see what she is trying to do!"

"Ok, Charlie, this is what you're going to have to do," said Ruby, leaning towards her Mum helpfully. "You're just going to have to be straight with her; voice your concerns! For all we know, it could just be an innocent mistake…?"

Charlie laughed a humourless laugh. "Tegan is anything but innocent when it comes to Brax." Ruby smiled sadly at the predicament that Charlie now found herself in. "You're right though Rubes; I'm just going to have to be straight with her! In hell is she getting her hands on Brax!" Charlie said, determinedly.

Ruby leaned back in her chair, relaxing as she felt relieved that Charlie had come to a resolution to her problem. Looking to her daughter, Charlie smiled appreciatively and squeezed her hands tightly. "You're the best, Rubes," she said.

Ruby mock-rolled her eyes, and flicked her hair back. "Yes, I am the best!" she joked.

Charlie playfully slapped her hand, grinning at her widely. She then stood up and grabbed her keys, deciding it would be best to leave her daughter to study.

"Next weekend, you and me, girls day out!" she grinned, happily.

Ruby laughed, and nodded enthusiastically. Charlie winked and quickly ducked out of the living room. On her way out, she bumped into Casey, who's hand was raised, about to knock on the door.

"Oh Charlie, hi!" he said, smiling at her happily. Charlie returned his smile, noting that Casey did not seem so concerned about his exams as Ruby. Charlie wondered whether this was merely over-confidence or that Casey was on top of his studies.

"Hi Case, how's the study going?"

"It's alright," said Casey, shrugging nonchalant. "Oh, by the way, Brax is looking at you. You left your mobile at home. He's been ringing around looking for you."

"He has?" said Charlie, her heart deflating at this news. She had hoped a few more hours to herself would help her clear her head of all the Tegan drama.

"Yeah," said Casey, oblivious to her disappointment. "Would you like to call him off my phone?"

"No, thanks, Case, I'm on my way home now anyway," said Charlie, resigning to the fact that she would have to face Brax and Tegan eventually. "Study hard, ok?" she said, stepping aside to allow him in.

Casey chuckled. "We will," he said, before disappearing into the living room.

Charlie sighed heavily as she sat into her car and started the engine. Driving down the road, she prepared herself for what she would say to Tegan. Emotionally, she wasn't ready for this but she knew that if she didn't say something now, she risked Tegan getting her claws on Brax.

Pulling into the driveway, Charlie saw Brax peeking through the blinds. He had clearly been expecting her. Charlie took her time getting out of the car and turning her key in the lock, as her mind screamed for her to turn around and face Tegan another day. But Charlie fought against it and somewhat confidently walked into the hall, closing the door behind her.

She smiled slightly as Brax came into the hall, Lily propped up against his chest, supported at her back with his arm. "Hey Charles! Where have you been? You left so suddenly…is everything ok?"

"Define ok," said Charlie, putting her handbag on the chair as they came into the kitchen. Looking around, it appeared Tegan was out but nonetheless, Charlie couldn't seem to relax.

Turning to face her, Brax frowned, surprised by her quiet demeanour. "Charlie, what's wrong? You've been acting really strange lately…?"

Nervously, Charlie bit down on her lip and entwined her hands together. She took a deep breath to prepare herself, before looking up into Brax's eyes. "Tegan has been flirting with you."

Brax blinked several times, clearly surprised by this news. Before replying, he went to the play pen and lay Lily down beside her toys. He then faced Charlie again, a confused look on his face.

"Charlie…nothing is going on between us. You know that right?"

Unable to look at him, Charlie turned around and began walking in the opposite direction. "Hey, hey, hey," said Brax, coming up behind her, bringing her to a stop. "What's wrong? Don't you trust me?"

"No," said Charlie, simply, looking up into his eyes.

Brax sighed heavily, unsurprised by this. Turning to stand in front of her, he took her hands in his. "Charlie, I know my track record is great, but I promise you that what we have," he said, while squeezing her hands. "-It's more important to me than anything else…well except for Lily."

Charlie laughed lightly, and Brax smiled at this, trying to lighten her up. "I know it's going to take you awhile to trust me again but I promise you that I would never, and will never do anything to hurt you again."

"And Tegan?" asked Charlie, biting down on her lower lip.

"If Tegan thinks that there is a chance of something happening between us, then she is sadly mistaken," said Brax, smiling with laughter. "I love you, Charlie. That will never change."

Charlie smiled and leaned in to his warm chest. She laid her head against his shoulder, and closed her eyes as she felt his muscled arms come to hold her close, a physical promise that he would never let her go again.

Their moment was interrupted by the door opening, and Tegan's shrill voice came all the way up the hall as she said hello. Stepping into the kitchen, she stopped suddenly as she saw Brax's arms unwinding themselves from around Charlie's shoulders. She saw the look in Charlie's eyes as she looked into Brax's face and her insides curled. She would have to act soon.

"Hey Brax, Charlie, how was your day," she said, dumping her shopping bags on the floor beside the table. Without even asking about Lily, Tegan grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Yeah, it's been alright," said Brax, watching Charlie's face anxiously, while she, in turn, watched Tegan gather up her bags up and strut down the hall towards her bedroom.

Shaking her head, Charlie walked over to where Lily was in her playpen and lifted her up into her arms. Lily smiled and giggled, and reached out to touch Charlie's face, as she recognised the gentle, familiar face. As Brax came to stand beside her, Charlie began to bounce Lily up and down in her arms. The little girl giggled loudly and happily, and Charlie and Brax began to laugh along with her.

Seeing the happiness in Charlie's eyes that had been missing for days, Brax was able to relax and happily lay on arm on her shoulder, bringing her close as Charlie laid Lily against her chest. Charile looked up to smile at Brax and he kissed her forehead slowly.

As Lily made big gummy smiles at her Daddy, Charlie laid her head against Brax's shoulder, emotionally exhausted by the day's events. Brax promised her that he would never hurt her again, and he had said those three little words that made her heart sore. She would take time again to trust him, but she loved him and that was what mattered at the end of the day.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again all so much! :)

Chapter 22

Peering through the crack in the door, Tegan smiled as she saw Brax sitting alone at the table. On the floor beside him, Lily was sit with a pile of bricks surrounding her. As Tegan came into the room, Lily pointed up at her but Tegan was on a mission and did not see her daughter's want for her. Instead,she came to sit at the table beside Brax. He was leaning over a large stack of paperwork and looked particularly stressed. He didn't even look up at her asshe came to sit beside him.

"What's up, Tegan? I'm kinda busy."

"Oh, nothing," she said, leaning towards him, a seductive smile. "I just thought you might like the distraction. You look particularly anxious."

Brax lifted his head at the word 'distraction' and frowned at her disapprovingly. "If you seriously mean what I think you mean then you're crazy, Tegan."

"Why? We both know you enjoyed it the first time?" she said, standing up and walking over beside him. "Why don't we try it again?" she whispered in his ear.

Brax immediately jumped up from his chair, and faced Tegan. Affronted by the look on his face, she took several steps back until she hit the wall. "What the hell are you trying to do, Tegan? I'm in love with Charlie, and you know that perfectly well."

Tegan laughed loudly, and took a step closer to him. "I've seen the way you've been with Charlie lately, Brax. Your relationship is so forced, but then you come over to me, me and our daughter," she said, choosing this moment to lift Lily up into her arms. Brax's eyes narrowed in slits; emotional blackmail at its worst. "When you talk to us, it is so natural. You know where your heart truly lies, Brax."

Not wanting Lily to be used as leverage, Brax forcefully took her from Tegan's arms, and lowered her into her playpen. He then turned back to face Tegan, prepared to put her back in her place. However, he had not realised how close she stood to him and on turning his head, their lips touched, and, in one quick movement, Tegan claimed them for herself.

Unbeknownst to them both, Charlie had just stepped into the kitchen and, to her shock and horror saw their embrace. As Brax pulled away from Tegan, disgusted, he saw Charlie standing by the door.

"Charlie!" he said, his heart pounding as he watched her face turn ghostly pale. "It's not what you think."

But before Brax could explain, Charlie was running; running away from the very scene that she had dreaded, that had given her nightmares ever since Tegan moved in. As she ran, she cried; tears gushing down her cheeks. She jumped into the car and reversed out of the driveway. She saw Brax running towards her, his arms outstretched, almost like a peace offering. But Charlie had forgiven him one too many times and she sped along the road, not looking back at Brax as he chased her car.

A person can recover from a broken heart once….but can they forgive a second time?

Leah, Miles, VJ and Ruby looked up, startled, as the heard the backdoor burst open. Charlie came running into the room, took a quick glance at them all before running into her bedroom. Leah and Ruby exchanged a horrified look; Charlie's face was stained with tears and mascara, and they could hear her moaning through the walls.

Ruby stood up from the table, but Leah silently told her to stay. Having gone through heartbreak more than once herself, Leah knew how her friend was feeling. Opening Charlie's bedroom door slowly, Leah saw the silhouette of Charlie's frame as she lay curled up on her bed. Her body was shaking as she cried, and her face was hidden behind her hands and thick locks of hair.

Without uttering a word, Leah came to sit at the edge of Charlie's bed, and put her hand on her back. In a swift movement, Charlie sat up and wrapped her arms around Leah, crying and shaking as tears cascaded down her cheeks. Leah held Charlie tightly and reassuringly in her arms. In her mind, Charlie replayed what she had seen that afternoon, and the nightmares that had disrupted her sleep for weeks. She had known this would happen, she thought she had prepared herself for the worse, but now it was clear that she hadn't.

As Charlie cried, Leah whispered reassuring words in her ear. They were of no immediate comfort to Charlie but she was grateful for Leah's company. She would need her friends to help her through this difficult time.

Back in the living room, the thoughts of an upset Charlie had halted actions at the dinner table. Ruby's hands were covering her eyes as her mind wondered what could have possibly happened to make her mother so upset. She knew, undoubtedly, that something had happened with Tegan, for she and Charlie had only had that conversation about her that afternoon.

Seeing Ruby so distressed, Miles quietly indicated to VJ to help him clear up the dinner table. VJ piled the plates into a stack and followed Miles out to the kitchen where they began to wash and clean up. Eventually, Ruby, who needed the distraction, came into help them. Unable to bear the awkward silence, Miles cracked a joke and soon both Ruby and VJ were laughing happily, glad to the rid of the awkwardness.

"Miles, you really are so terrible!" cried Ruby, as a person knocked on the door. "It's a good thing Veej and I wouldn't rat you out to Gina; you would be out of a job!"

"You wouldn't dare?" said Miles, faking a gasp.

Ruby laughed and opened the backdoor. Her smile quickly faded as she saw Brax on the mat. "What are you doing here?" she said, closing the door so they Brax couldn't see in.

"Is Charlie here? I really need to talk to her."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Brax," said Leah, as she walked into the kitchen, a stern look on her face. "Your actions have already done enough harm."

"Look, Leah, I just need to explain," pleaded Brax, a beseeching look on his face.

"I don't care what you want or what you need to do, Brax," said Leah, as she stared at him, coldly. "This is the second time in a matter of months that Charlie has come home crying over you and I'll be damned if you're going to cause her any more heartache."

"Leah – "

"Now, I don't know what it is that happened between you and Charlie, but what I do know is, that girl is in there utterly heartbroken, and the last time that happened was because of you, so I'm thinking it's you again this time too. Charlie is my friend, and I will not see her hurt like this again. Now, get out of my house!"

"Leah, please - !"

"I said get out, Brax," said Leah, raising her voice and staring at him, venomously.

Brax sighed and looked to Ruby, who he knew would not relent either. Reluctantly, he backed out of the house and walked away.

None of them knew how wrong they were. But that mattered little. Leah said that Charlie was hurting again and Brax punched the air at the thought of this. Hadn't he promised her that he would never hurt her again? Would she be able to forgive him for a second time? As he walked around the side of Leah's house, he passed Charlie's bedroom window. The light was off and it was pitch black inside. Brax stayed for a moment, hoping Charlie would make an appearance, but to no avail.

He walked away, hating himself more and more with every step. He truly feared that he had lost her this time for good. Having gone through so much in her life already, Brax knew that Charlie was fragile. Had he hurt her too much? He feared he had…

Thank you again all so much for your comments!

You are so amazing! :wink: <3

Chapter 23

Casey walked up the stairs; leading to Angelo's and was amazed to the see the restaurant empty. Not only that but the place was filthy; remnants of food were on the tables, patches of the floor were sticky from spilt drink and one of the light fittings was dangling on a dangerous thin wire from the ceiling.

Casey immediately began to search therestaurant. It was unlike Brax to leave the restaurant in such a state, and forit to be closed at 1pm. He didn't have to look far to find him; walking behindthe desk, Casey found Brax sitting against the wall, his eyes closed and hischest rising and falling as he slept.

Casey sighed and gently rocked his older brother with him foot. Brax blinked a couple of times before wiping the sleep out of his eyes and standing up. He looked around the restaurant drowsily at the messy and groaned.

"Did I fall asleep again?"

Casey shook his head. "Brax, you can't keep doing this to yourself. You've got a baby to look after, and a restaurant to run. When was the last time you had a decent night's sleep?"

Brax shook his head. "Well, there was a 21st here last night, so I had to stay late to control the situation, and then the night before, Lily was up sick all night. Then, Tegan got into some trouble at a bar in Yabbie Creek so I had to get up and pick her up, which was probably around 2am. So…adding all that up and a couple of other weeks…I guess I haven't slept properly since Charlie left."

Casey smiled at him sadly. "You can't keep waiting for her forever, mate."

Brax nodded and, as he looked around the restaurant, his eyes fell on the spot where he and Charlie had first got together. She had arrived, unexpected as always, and they had kissed. It had been perfect he remembered. She had looked so hot in her police uniform, Brax's mouth watered at just the thought of her.

"I guess I just wish I hadn't messed up in the first place," he said, regretfully. "If I hadn't bumped into Tegan that day, none of this would have happened."

"Yeah, but then Brax, you wouldn't have Lily. I know all of this sucks, but at least you have her. Think how much worse this situation would be without her."

"Are you trying to tell me that I need to focus on Lily from now on?"

Casey grinned at him, jokingly. "You catch on fast, eh?" But he saw Brax's serious face and he smile faded. "Brax, if you and Charlie are really meant to be, you will find each other again. Time will tell."

Brax shook his head, and grinned in disbelief. "Since when did you become so wise about relationships? You and Ruby have hardly gone through a situation like this…?"

Casey shook his head. "I'm not even going to go there! C'mon," he said, slapping Brax on the shoulder. "Let's go for a surf!"

Brax smiled, looking forward to the feeling of the cool water brushing against his skin. He happily followed Casey down the stairs to the surf club where they kept their boards.

Once they were in the water, and the waves around them began to gather speed, Brax jumped up on the surf board. Brax was in his element, he was in control; the water was his subject and he was the master. In that moment, his problems with Charlie were forgotten and Brax was completely at ease. As the sun shone on his back and the water served him and his board perfectly, Brax knew he was at home.

While Brax and Casey conquered the crashing waves, Charlie and Bianca strolled silently across the beach. Bianca had invited her friend out in the hope that Charlie would share with her how she was feeling. Since her break-up with Brax, Charlie had been very reserved and quiet. Every day, she would merely wake up, go to work, come back home, would play with her food for a short while, and very early in the evening would bid Leah, Ruby and VJ goodnight. She had, in a sense, caved in on herself.

Charlie could feel Bianca's eyes on her and sighed heavily. Was this constant supervision always going to be necessary? First Leah and Ruby at home and now Bianca? Looking for a distraction, Charlie looked out at the sea; the sky was blue, she could see the birds flying on the horizon, and she could see Brax as he mastered the waves.

It almost hurt to look at him, but, in another way, Charlie also couldn't look away. Seeing him, seeing his body glitter as the sun made the water sparkle on his skin, Charlie found it hard to resist him. She almost wanted to join him in the water, to connect her body with his, in the embrace that she longed to share with him. But then she remembered why that action was impossible, and she reluctantly continued her walk along the beach with Bianca.

Walking up the beach towards the Surf Club, Charlie was surprised to see Heath walking towards them, Lily in his arms. In an attempt to be civil, Charlie smiled at him but Heath was not looking at her, he was looking into the eyes of the person beside her. Charlie looked up at Bianca, in surprise, and was dumbfounded to see her friend looking at Heath in the same way.

They paused for a moment, and there was a slight awkwardness as neither party began conversation. Eventually, Charlie could no longer bear the silence. "Heath, this is a…a surprise!"

Heath finally broke his eyes with Bianca to look at Charlie, and smiled slightly. "Yeah…um, I just said I'd take Lily for a walk." He said, looking towards Darcy, who was standing patiently at his side.

Charlie looked fondly at Lily, who was held securely in Heath's arms. While at first she was looking up at her uncle, Lily, as if she knew Charlie was thinking of her, turned her eyes to look at Charlie. She held her eyes for a long moment, assuring Charlie that the now growing baby knew exactly who she was.

"May I hold her?" ask Charlie, stretching her arms out to Lily. One of the many things that she missed after her break-up with Brax was spending time with Lily. In the few months that Charlie had gotten to know Lily, she had bonded with the little girl as if she was her own daughter.

Heath paused for a moment but then gently lowered Lily into Charlie's arms. Lily fitted so snugly into Charlie's arms; it appeared that they were meant just for her. As Charlie smiled at Lily, cradling her adoringly in her arms, Heath turned to look back at Bianca. They smiled at each other awkwardly.

"So…how have you been?" asked Bianca, her eyes hovering between Heath's eyes and his lips.

Heath lips curled into a smile as he saw this. "I've been good, thanks. And you?"

"Yeah, good, very good," said Bianca, looking nervously into his eyes.

As she looked up from Lily's face, Charlie witnessed this exchange between them; their eyes observed each other's face in awe before eventually catching the other's eyes and from then on, were unable to break eye contact.

Charlie recognised the look in Bianca's eyes and smiled. While she did not completely approve of the match, she understood how Bianca was feeling. They were both attracted to the bad boys, the serious, misunderstood people of the community, who shared only their most intimate secrets with the people they trusted. The bond they would share would be passionate, hard to resist, and would ultimately lead to heartbreak. Bianca would attempt to change him, to try to be that one person who he could completely confide in. But a bad boy could never, would never change. Especially a River Boy…no, especially a Braxton.

As Charlie observed her friend closely, she barely even heard Brax and Casey walk up behind them. Coming to stand beside Heath, Brax was not surprised to see Lily in Charlie's arms. He saw how she held the little girl; it was so maternal, so protective, a passer-by could easily think that Charlie was Lily's mother. In Brax's eyes, their bond looked so perfect. Despite her hardest efforts to beat her depression, even Tegan did not share such a natural bond with Lily. Brax then looked to Charlie's face, and one his eyes fell upon hers, he was not sure he could move. Her eyes were soft and warm, as she looked into the face of her best friend. The gentle wind swirled her hair so that it had that windswept look. Her toned figure was a result of hours in the gym and her daily jogging. Brax had even once convinced her to try surfing with him. She had tried, and failed many times to even stay on the board. At one stage, she had become quite good but then the incident with Tegan occurred, and Charlie never touched a board again.

As Casey dug his board into the sand, Charlie and Bianca jumped back to the present. Looking around, Charlie's heart thudded, and her broken heart throbbed as she looked into Brax's face. His eyes were on hers and the look he gave her almost melted her heart. She wanted so much to run her fingers down his wet torso, to wrap her arms around him and hold him close to her. She wanted so much to be with him but he had tarnished any hope of that.

Wordlessly, Charlie, reluctantly, handed Lily back to Brax. She then grabbed Bianca's arm and pulled her away and up the path to the Surf Club. She chanced a look back at Brax and immediately regretted it as his eyes had also followed her up the beach. She wanted him so much but….she just couldn't be with him.

All three Braxtons reluctantly trudged home that afternoon. Heath held open the doors to the house that had formerly held so many people; Sally and Flynn, Beth and Tony, Roo and Angelo, and now they, the Braxtons had taken over. These names would not have been familiar to them if Colleen had not already filled them in on the history of the house.

"I know this may not be of interest to you surfer boys but this house better not be ruined by your lot. It has been in the Bay for a long time, and has housed many respectable people. You and your gang better not tarnish its reputation!"

By now, Brax, Casey and Heath had got used the warnings that they received from neighbours and the surrounding community. The stereotype of gangs and their reputation alone followed them everywhere, and it seemed they were never able to escape it.

Brax walked through the door first. Now fully clothed, he held a sleeping Lily in his arms. Careful not to wake her, he gently laid her down in the armchair in the corner, and tucked a blanket around her. Casey stepped through the door next, and closed the door behind him. The three Braxton brothers went about making their lunch in peace, all quietly thinking about their own worries and problems. Once again, Casey worried about the HSC; how to recover after the disastrous mocks and how he would have to cram in so much at the last minute. Brax was forced to think about several things at once, each of them holding their own importance; Lily, Tegan's depression, and the thought that consumed his mind the most; Charlie. She hardly ever left his mind, not even when he was asleep. She was always there. Heath was dealing with problems of the heart. Not usually a man to have problems with the ladies, Heath found himself forever intrigued by the feelings that he shared for a certain Miss Bianca Scott. The moment they had shared today was only one of many. Their 'relationship' was only in its early stages but Heath was confident that Bianca felt the same for him as he did for her, and so knew that their relationship would develop further and further. This girl was unlike Heath's previous girlfriend's; she was qualified, capable, and to top it all, very attractive. She was very different.

In continued silence they sat down at the table and began to eat. In the typical style of men, they did not talk about their problems, but brought up light conversation to talk about instead. Also like typical men, they refused to show any signs of weakness. They would always appear in control, and would never surrender that control.

Later that afternoon, Brax returned to what was once the home he shared with Charlie. In the hours immediately after their break-up, Leah and Ruby had arrived to collect Charlie's belongings. Brax had hoped that Charlie herself would be there, so that he would have a chance to explain but no such luck. Now, since her departure, the house seemed cold and empty. Tegan might as well not even be living in the house, because without Charlie, Brax felt entirely alone. He hadn't known it at the time, but he really did need her support as he dealt with becoming a father, and living with a woman who suffered from post-natal depression.

As Brax laid Lily into her play-pen in the living room, he heard Tegan walk into the room behind him. Not being a fan of the cold shoulder, Brax smiled at her coldly instead before walking into the kitchen and set about making Lily's dinner. Tegan slowly approached the counter, and, in an attempt to reconcile with Brax, she stretched out her hand to touch his. Almost reflexively, Brax recoiled his hand. Tegan looked up him nervously.

"Brax, is this always going to be the way it is between us? I'm sorry I ruined things between you and Charlie, I really am, but I can't stand it if we never talk to each other again!"

"Tegan, I really don't care what you have to say. You knew I was with Charlie that afternoon when you came onto me. You knew exactly what you were doing. But, I am not going to waste my time getting angry with you because the damage is done already, and Charlie might never forgive me! As far as I'm concerned Tegan, we are through. You can stay here as long as you need to help you get over your depression, but after that you are out! Am I understood?"

Tegan nodded, tears threatening to break, her entire body shaking. "Would it make a difference if I apologised?"

Brax shook his head. "No, it wouldn't. It wouldn't change a thing."

Tegan nodded, tears now spilling down her cheeks. "You know what; I think I'm just going to leave now instead. I know when I am not wanted."

"Do as you wish," said Brax, returning to his work.

Looking once more, sadly, at his turned back, Tegan retreated to her room and began to pack her bag. She did not pay much attention to what she was stuffing into her bag; she merely grabbed her clothes and forcefully pushed them into her bag. Returning to the living room, she laid her bag against the door and walked over to Lily's playpen.

"May I have a moment alone with her?"

Looking to Lily and then to Tegan, Brax nodded reluctantly, and left the kitchen, walking into the hotel and pulling the door slightly. Now alone with her daughter, Tegan lifted Lily into her arms and smiled sadly into her daughter's face as she braced herself to say goodbye. As Tegan stretched her finger out to touch her face, Lily grabbed her finger and held it tightly in her little fist.

Then, as Tegan looked from her daughter's tight grasp, to her innocent face, Tegan began to question why should she have to leave her behind? Lily was her daughter; she would take her with her. Knowing that Brax would never approve, Tegan was prepared to do this sneakily. Grabbing her bag, Tegan quietly existed out the backdoor and ran around the side of the house, jumping into the car.

Brax, who was waiting slightly impatiently in the hall, frowned as he heard the sound of a car speeding away from the driveway. Opening the door to the living, Brax's heart thudded as he saw the room was empty. Running over to Lily's playpen, he almost collapsed on the floor as he saw the crib was empty. His knees began to give way beneath him, his heartbreak raced, and Brax felt sick. He managed to stay with it, and pulled his phone out of his pocket. Without a moment's pause, he dialled 911 and pressed the phone up to his ear.

"Hi, my name is Darryl Braxton. I would like to report an abduction. My child, my daughter, she's been kidnapped!"

It was a bit drastic to call the police first, he knew that, but he didn't trust Tegan, especially with Lily. He regretted everything that ever happened between him and Tegan, except Lily. She was the only perfect thing to come out of the whole disastrous situation and Brax was willing to do everything and anything to keep her safe.

Thanks again so much, everyone!

I'm really glad that you are enjoying it!

Hope you also enjoy this chapter! :)

Chapter 24

Walking into her office, Charlie hung her hat off the door handle and collapsed into her chair, covering her hands with her face. Would she ever be able to get past this limbo-land that she now found herself in. There was a small knock on the door, and in walked Watson with a file in her hand. "Good to see you, Serge," she said, smiling at Charlie lightly, and laying the file on the desk in front of her. "We got a new case. A baby's been abducted."

"Who's the family?" said Charlie, frowning and picking up the file in her hands.

"Darryl Braxton is the father."

Charlie froze. Lily. Looking up at Watson in horror, she immediately jumped up and ran out of the station. Jumping in her car, she drove down the road. Why would someone abduct Lily, she thought. Why?

Driving in the direction of the house she had shared with Brax, Charlie could only imagine how he must be feeling. Having never gone through that horror with Ruby, Charlie could only empathise with Brax. She knew that things hadn't been great with them in recent times, but she had to make him aware that she was there for him and that she and her fellow police officers would do everything they could to find Lily.

Lily. It made Charlie sick to think of what that poor baby must be going through. She was just an innocent child who did not deserve this to happen to her. And Tegan, what Tegan must be going through. Charlie understood that Tegan had problems bonding with her baby but surely she too would be devastated that Lily had been abducted.

As Charlie pulled up Brax's driveway, she immediately noted the presence of several other cars. Knocking on the door, Charlie was greeted by Casey, whose face was pale and solemn. He stood aside to let her in and Charlie walked in the direction of the kitchen, where gathered was Brax, his mother, Cheryl and Ruby.

Seeing her come into the room, Brax immediately walked over to Charlie. "Have you heard anything?"

Charlie regretfully shook her head. Brax's groaned and turned and began to pace the room.

"I'm here to find out as much as I can about Lily to assist us in finding her. Have you any idea who might have possibly taken her?"

All eyes immediately fell on Charlie, including Brax's. "Have you not heard?" he asked, frowning in confusion.

"Heard what?" asked Charlie, confused as to what she could have said.

"It was Tegan," said Brax. "Tegan took Lily."

Shock ran through Charlie like a bullet pierced the air. Needing a moment to compose herself, she quickly retreated to the hall. Collapsing against the wall, anger and confusion rushed through her as she tried to comprehend the reasons as to why Tegan would take Lily. Why she would do that to her own daughter? Why she would put Brax through such pain? He was her father; he did not deserve to suffer this pain.

Wiping away the tears from her eyes, Charlie stood up and walked back into the kitchen. Looking around the room, she saw Ruby and Casey in the corner; Casey's head was buried in his hands and Ruby was rubbing his back supportively. Cheryl was watching her son, anxiously, as he sat on the floor, staring into nothingness; his face was blank of emotion. Charlie saw Heath approach her and she smiled sadly.

"I'm sorry," she said to him softly. Heath's face was solemn, and expressionless. With a cold look in his eyes, he looked to Charlie for information. "Have you heard anything?" Charlie shook her head, regrettably.

Heath growled quietly and walked away from Charlie, and over to the fridge, from which he grabbed a bottle of bourbon. Looking once more to Brax, he then disappeared out the backdoor, slamming it in frustration behind him.

Charlie then approached Brax, with what she hoped was an understanding look on her face. They had gone through some tough times but Charlie loved Brax, and Lily, and she was willing to do anything to reunite father and daughter.

"Brax, do you have any idea where Tegan may have taken Lily? Anywhere that holds significant importance to Tegan, where she might feel safe or would want to share with Lily?"

Brax shook his head. "Not really. Tegan never took Lily anywhere to be honest. We…we were always the ones who took her places."

Charlie smiled, understandingly. "Brax, may I just talk to you privately for a moment?" she asked, placing her hand on his arm and walking over to the corner.

Frowning in suspicion, Brax followed her and folded his arms across his chest as he braced himself for what she had to say. "Do you really want to treat this as an abduction?" asked Charlie, quietly, looking to Heath and Cheryl who were glancing over at them suspiciously.

"What do you mean?" he asked, frowning.

"Well, technically it isn't really an abduction," explained Charlie, as Brax frowned as she went into police-mode rather than caring, understanding Charlie-mode. "Tegan's name is on the birth certificate and you both have co-guardianship so Tegan taking Lily away for a few hours cannot be seen, under law, as an abduction!"

"But that is just ridiculous!" exclaimed Brax, taking a few steps back as he glared at Charlie, furiously. Hearing the commotion, everyone looked up in the direction of Charlie and Brax, listening in, curiously. "She took my baby without my permission! Surely that holds some ground with your law?!"

Charlie shook her head, sadly. "I'm really sorry. Currently, it doesn't."

Brax growled and turned and walked away from Charlie. As he passed, Cheryl rubbed her son arm reassuringly as she glared at Charlie. Charlie sighed; why was she always in the firing line.

"We can act though if Tegan doesn't return Lily in 24 hours?" said Charlie, looking over hopefully at Brax. He stopped and turned to look at her.

"24 hours might be too late, Charlie," he said, in a quiet voice.

"I know," said Charlie, smiling sadly. "But there's nothing else I can do! I'm sorry."

"What can be done in 24 hours?" he asked, approaching her once more.

"Well, due to the fact that Tegan has been diagnosed with Post-Natal Depression, we will be able to act even quicker than your average parent-child disappearance case."

"It's an abduction, Charlie," insisted Brax, frowning at her sternly.

"Currently the status is only that of a disappearance, which we have to give 24 hours to the party to return voluntarily before the police become involved. That's just the way it's done, Brax."

Brax growled, turned and began to pace the room again.

"Like I said, the police cannot technically become involved yet," said Charlie. "However…"

Brax turned and looked to Charlie.

"I am going to go and look for Lily regardless," she said, smiling at Brax.

He walked over to her and took her hands. "Thank you," he said, quietly.

Charlie smiled. "Well, I'm going to head back to the station now and inform them of my whereabouts. If Tegan contacts you or if you hear anything, ring me or the station straight away, ok?"

"Charlie, I want to go looking for her!" said Brax, following her to the door.

"No. No, Brax, you can't. I can't allow you to do that, I'm sorry," insisted Charlie, as Cheryl looked at her scathingly.

"Why can't he?" exclaimed Heath, who had returned to the living room. "She's his daughter, after all!"

"I understand you all are concerned about Lily," said Charlie, putting her hand on Brax's chest and her hand out to Heath as they began to walk to the door. "But I could not risk an altercation occurring between you and Tegan. You cannot deny that that would happen…?"

Brax's jaw hardened and he looked back to Heath whose eyes were glaring at Charlie venomously. He looked briefly at Brax and his jaw hardened too.

"Fine," said Brax, turning his head to look back at Charlie. "But the minute you hear anything, call me!"

"I will, I swear. Just promise me you won't try and find Tegan yourselves? Please?"

Brax growled quietly and managed to nod. Charlie smiled, and Brax watched as Charlie, silently, left the room. As she closed the door behind her, he sighed and resumed his rhythmic pacing of the room. The image of Lily's face was stuck in his mind, and it was almost as if he could hear her crying in the distance. It was always there, and the sound of it was killing Brax.

His baby was out there and he could do nothing to help her.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again so much for all your feedback! <3

Chapter 25

Ruby looked up as she heard the back door open. Seeing that the time was 11pm, she became a little worried as she heard footsteps in the kitchen.

“Charlie?” she called out, nervously, rising to her feet.

“Yeah, it’s me,” confirmed Charlie, wearily, as she sat down at the table, laying her head on her hands and closing her eyes.

“Don’t tell you’ve been at work all this time?” exclaimed Ruby, reaching across to rub Charlie’s hand, anxiously.

“Well, no, not at the office. I was out looking for Lily and Tegan, but I couldn’t find them anywhere,” said Charlie, running her fingers through her hair. “I’m getting really worried about them. I hope that

Tegan’s gone somewhere warm for the night.”

“You’ll find them, Charlie, don’t worry,” said Ruby, smiling at her reassuringly, and willing it herself to be true.

“I’m going to bed,” said Charlie, rising wearily from the table. “I’m going to need to be up early in the morning. ‘Night, Rubes. Don’t stay up too late.”

“I won’t, I promise,” she said with a smile, as she watched her Mum disappear into her bedroom.

Charlie collapsed onto her bed and immediately fell asleep, even without changing out of her uniform. Her dreams were haunted that night by the sound of Lily’s cries and screams. She awoke suddenly, in the early hours of the morning, her brow sweating from the reality of the nightmare.

Looking at her alarm clock, she sighed as she saw it was still only 4am. A search for Lily would be allowed start until at least 8am. Changing out of her uniform, Charlie took a brief run across the empty beach, her mind for once as ease as she smelled the fresh sea air and watched the waves crashing against the rocks.

Returning home, she quickly changed back into her uniform. Opening Ruby’s door a crack, she smiled as she saw Ruby’s chest rise and fall rhythmically. She shuddered to think what she would do if anything happened to Ruby so she could only imagine what Brax was feeling.

Driving down the road to the police station, she pulled into the car park and parked in her specially allocated driving space. Walking into the station, she was glad to see her fellow officers, including Watson already gathered. As she approached them, they ceased their conversations and turned to listen to her.

“Have you all been briefed on the abduction of Lily Braxton?” Charlie asked, enquiringly, desperate to begin a search for Lily and Tegan as soon as possible.

To her dismay, they shook their heads. Charlie’s heart sank, and she immediately turned to Watson, asking her to fill them all in.

“I’m going to set out again and look for them myself. When the team are briefed send them out in groups of two or three. Should they see Tegan and Lily, ask them not to approach them but to call me instead,” Charlie told Watson, quietly. “Is that understood?”

Watson nodded, surprised by Charlie’s sudden interest in the case of a missing child whom she presumed she didn’t know. But Watson would follow orders, and immediately began to inform the team of the Braxton kid’s abduction and set them off in various directions around Summer Bay looking for the missing child.

After two hours of searching the still quiet Bay, Charlie decided to return to the station to see if they had found anything useful to follow up on. Driving down the road to the station, Charlie, in frustration, banged her hands on the steering wheel and growled, angrily. She felt completely useless. Her being a police officer seemed stupid at this moment as she knew nothing, and could do nothing. Weren’t the police the ones who were meant to know everything, how to solve any problems that may arise? Well, that stereotype was just out the window. This exact moment proved that even the police couldn’t solve everything.

Just then, Charlie’s phone began to ring and, thinking that it was Brax, she quickly pressed it up to her ear without checking the caller ID.

“Brax?”

“Charlie…it’s Tegan.”

Charlie almost crashed as she heard Tegan’s voice on the other side of the phone. Her police mode immediately kicked in and she attempted to remain calm. “Hi Tegan.”

“I guess you’re aware of what’s going on…?” Tegan asked, calmly.

“Yeah, I’ve been informed of what’s happened. Are you and Lily ok?”

There was a long pause and when Tegan finally answered she seemed surprised. “Why do you care if I’m alright? I’m the bad person in this situation…?”

“No. No, Tegan, you’re not! You’re not a bad person,” said Charlie. Pulling to the side of the road, Charlie looked to the monitor on her dashboard. According the phone’s IP address, Tegan was only a few miles

down the road. Driving out onto the road again, Charlie, while hoping to keep Tegan calm, followed the directions on the monitor, which directed her towards Tegan.

“Yes, I am, Charlie! I kidnapped my own daughter! What kind of person does that?”

“Tegan, we all do messed up stuff in our lives. Hell, I’ve done loads of them,” said Charlie, craning her neck out the window, looking for Tegan, as she came closer and closer to the spot.

Finally, she saw Tegan’s car pulled up down a little road. The doors were open and looking through the rear window, Charlie could see that Tegan had abandoned the car. Taking her phone with her, and still talking to Tegan, Charlie walked down the dirt track, and past the door, looking around for any signs of Tegan or Lily. Then she saw them. Tegan was sitting on a bollard, staring up at the sky. Lily was a few steps away in her car seat, placed on a patch of grass. As Tegan heard someone approaching, she jumped up and turned to see it was Charlie. She immediately walked towards Lily, standing in front of her, preventing Charlie from getting anywhere near her.

“You’re not going to take her back!” she said, stubbornly, staring at Charlie with narrowed eyes. “She’s my daughter and I want her stay with me!”

“Tegan, you can’t do this to Lily, it’s not fair on her,” said Charlie, taking a few steps towards Tegan. “It’s cold here. Lily needs to be in the warmth. She needs to go back to Brax and her family. They love her, Tegan. They want to see her again.”

“But Brax will hate me; he’ll hate me for what I’ve done!” exclaimed Tegan, tears running down her cheeks.

“He won’t hate you, Tegan,” said Charlie, softly. “Yeah, he’ll be a bit annoyed and frustrated but he would never hate you.”

Tegan listened to Charlie’s calm and reassuring voice, and how she was smiling at her, understandingly. She frowned in confusion. “Why are you being so nice to me, Charlie? I have ruined your relationship twice now and yet you are still able to be nice to me?! I don’t understand how you can do that.”

Charlie smiled, sadly. “Well…I went through a lot of hard stuff when Ruby was born too, and I know how hard it can be to become a first time Mum. I know how frightening it is and how you don’t really know what to do. I may have hated you for a minute or two, Tegan, but I understand what you’re going through. That’s all it is really.”

“You had PND too?” asked Tegan, frowning sadly, her composure relaxing slightly as she began to engage with Charlie. Observing this, Charlie took a few steps closer to Tegan, and then went to sit on the rock beside her.

“No…I had baby blues though,” said Charlie, looking up at Tegan. “They are similar to PND, but it is not classed as serious as depression.” As their conversation continued, Tegan gradually became more and more relaxed, until eventually she went to sit beside Charlie. In an attempt to show Tegan that she was not a bad person, Charlie explained to her about that horrible day all those years ago when Ruby was conceived.

“I had no idea you were raped, Charlie,” she said, her voice quiet with horror.

“Sure, I haven’t even told Brax,” she said, shaking her head in disbelief at herself. “It’s not really something you like to talk about, or that comes up in conversation. Very few people know actually. A lot have

just presumed that I had a teenage fling with some guy who abandoned me when I discovered I was ‘knocked up’.”

Tegan shook her head in frustration. “Guys can be unbelievable!”

She then paused and smiled at Charlie. “But not Brax though. Brax is just different. Just looking at him, just listening to the way he talks to you, you already know that Brax would never do something like that!”

Charlie smiled. “No…Brax is definitely different.”

The two women smiled and Charlie sat down opposite Tegan on a fallen tree trunk. At the same time, the two women shivered and rubbed their hands together in an attempt to stay warm. Seeing their parallel activities, Charlie and Tegan laughed, and Tegan exchanged with Charlie a warm smile.

They were not so different after all, she and Charlie. Perhaps she would even find a friend in Charlie…?

Thanks again to all for your comments!

And a Happy Belated Christmas! :)

Chapter 26

As Charlie and Tegan sat side by side by the stream, they listened as the river flowed behind them. The birds were singing happily in the sky and in the distance they could see cows grazing in the field.

Wordlessly, Tegan turned to look at Charlie, and smiled at her, slightly. “He loves you, you know. Brax. He wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

Charlie chuckled humourlessly. “Tegan…I’m not sure I can believe that.”

“But he wouldn’t…ok, yeah, he and I made a mistake that night. We should never have done what we did but the other day, Charlie, that wasn’t him. It was me, all me.”

Charlie looked at Tegan in disbelief. She then shook her head and looked away again. “It doesn’t change anything though. I should have known something like that would happen between you two”.

“Charlie, Brax wanted nothing to do with me. I came onto him. I was stupid enough to believe that he loved me. He has been so great with helping me with Lily. I saw signs that never existed. I thought that he loved me. But he loves you, Charlie. It’s always been you.”

Unable to believe Tegan’s words, Charlie looked away into the distance. She wanted to believe her, she wanted Brax to love her, she wanted to be with him, but she doubted that it could ever work between them.

Then, across from them, Lily awoke and began to cry in her car seat. Charlie looked to Tegan, wondering if she would want to comfort her daughter. But Tegan was eyeing Lily anxiously and almost with fright.

“Charlie, would you do it?” she asked, nudging Charlie’s arm.

Charlie, willingly, stood up and lifted Lily from her car seat, cradling her gently in her arms. Eventually, Lily’s crying ceased and her eyes opened and she looked up directly at Charlie. Charlie smiled at her.

“She is so beautiful, Tegan,” she said, beaming at Tegan.

Tegan smiled, nodding her head. “She gets it all from Brax, I reckon. Except the hair,” she said, indicating to Lily’s blonde hair. “That she gets from me.”

Charlie smiled, and went over to sit beside her again. Tegan watched as Lily observed her surroundings. She sighed heavily.

“I want so much to love her, but I just can’t seem to. And then I try to take care of her, to do the right thing, and I just make an even bigger mess of that.”

As Tegan buried her head in her hands, Charlie placed a supportive hand on Tegan’s leg. “Tegan, don’t be so hard on yourself. Not all mothers are up to taking care of their babies. Lily was unplanned. In such a situation, you would not be expected to know immediately how to take care of her.”

“But she was unexpected for you and Brax too,” said Tegan, looking at Lily as she reached up to grab a strand of Charlie’s hair. “Yet, you both love her. She’s not even your daughter, Charlie, and you love her more than I ever could.”

Charlie nodded, unable to deny her feelings for Lily. It had been a surprise to Charlie for her to fall in love with Lily so quickly. It was almost as if Lily had chosen Charlie as the person who was meant to be her mother. Maybe that was why Tegan couldn’t seem to bond with her.

Looking to her watch, Charlie frowned. “Tegan, it’s getting late. I should really bring Lily home. Brax hasn’t heard from me in hours; I’m sure he’s worried sick.”

“He’s going to hate me so much, Charlie.”

“He would never hate you, Tegan,” reassured Charlie, squeezing her hand. “However, there may be some repercussions for what you have done.”

Tegan looked up at Charlie, nervously. “Will I go to jail?”

Charlie smiled at her sadly. “That all depends on whether Brax will want to press charges or not.”

Tegan sighed heavily. “Well then I’ll definitely be going.”

Standing up, she followed Charlie out to her car. “What about my car?” she asked, pausing at the door.

“I’ll get my people to drop it home later,” said Charlie, smiling at her reassuringly. “C’mon Tegan, let’s go home. I’m sure you must be starving.”

Reluctantly, Tegan sat into the front seat of the car, while Charlie strapped Lily’s car seat into the back. Driving down the road, Tegan bit her lip anxiously as she thought of how angry Brax would be. He would surely never want to see her again, or let her see Lily ever again. She took a deep breath to steady herself however it did little to help. Tegan knew she deserved what was coming. She shouldn’t expect Brax to be sympathetic.

Brax jumped up as he heard the key turn in the front door. In the hall, he heard voices whispering, and then the kitchen door opened and in walked Charlie, carrying Lily in her car seat.

Brax let out a huge sigh of relief and rushed over and lifted Lily into his arms. Behind him, Casey and Ruby jumped up with delight, huge smiles on their faces. Heath, who had just walked through the door, double-took as he saw Lily in Brax’s arms and then his face broke into a huge smile. Walking over to them, he tickled Lily’s cheek.

“Boy, are we glad to see you, you little rascal,” he said, leaning in to kiss her softly.

But Charlie’s eyes were fixed on Brax’s face. His gratitude was etched on his face as he looked at Charlie. Words failed him but Charlie shook her head. Words were not necessary right now. Charlie knew what Brax wanted to say.

Charlie remained solemn and quiet for the few minutes that Lily was passed around the room to her family. Cheryl took her in her arms and kissed her cheek with all the love that a grandmother could show. She then handed Lily to Casey, who bounced her up and down in his arms, while Ruby tickled her under her chin.

While they were all distracted, Charlie reached out and took Brax’s hand. Relief and happiness was still aglow on his face as he turned to face Charlie. “Charlie, I don’t know what I am going to do to ever repay you for what you have done.”

“Brax, we need a minute alone. There’s something we need to talk about.”

Brax noted Charlie’s serious expression and his smiled faded slightly. Turning to his family, he kindly asked them to leave.

After they closed the door behind them, Brax then turned to face Charlie, his face solemn and serious.

“Charlie, what is it?”

Wordlessly, Charlie looked to the hall door. Brax looked up and was shocked as he saw Tegan standing just behind it.

Pushing it opening, she walked fully into the room, her expression full of worry as she looked into Brax’s face.

“Charlie, what is she doing here?” asked Brax, anger bowling in his heart like hot water.

“Brax, please, just give her a moment to explain,” said Charlie, beseechingly.

“I have nothing to say to here. Now get her out of here!” said Brax, staring at Tegan, angrily. “Shouldn’t she be in handcuffs or something? She’s a criminal for God’s sake!”

“She is not of any threat to anyone, Brax,” said Charlie, softly.

“She’s a threat to my daughter!”

“Brax, be reasonable!” scolded Charlie, frowning at him.

Looking at Charlie’s disapproving face, Brax sighed. “Fine,” he relented. “What do you have to say, Tegan?”

Tegan gulped and nervously looked into Brax’s eyes. “I wanted to hurt you for rejecting me. I wanted you to know how it feels to not be with the person you love the most!”

“I already know how that feels because of you, Tegan!” said Brax, angrily. Charlie gasped quietly to herself as Brax’s true anger let loose. “Why Lily though? She’s only a child!”

“I was alone with her, and…it made sense. I know it was a horrible thing to do, Brax, and I’m sorry! I guess I just wasn’t thinking straight..?”

“’Thinking straight?’ You kidnapped our daughter, Tegan!” screamed Brax, his arms stretched out to her in frustration. “Only an absolute nutcase does that!”

“That’s not fair; you know I’m not myself at the moment,” said Tegan, in an attempt to defend herself.

“What, are you attempting to put this down to your depression?!” asked Brax, in disbelief.

“Actually Brax, this sort of behaviour is quite common for women who suffer from –“

“Stay out of this, Charlie!” cried Brax, glaring at her. “Look, I’ve heard enough of this rubbish. Charlie, get her out of here!” exclaimed Brax, throwing Tegan an incredulous. “You’ll be hearing from my lawyers.”

“Brax, does that mean you want to press charges?” asked Charlie, quietly.

Glaring at Tegan and then Charlie too, Brax nodded. “Yes.”

“Are you sure about that now, Brax? Think of what you are saying,” insisted Charlie. “This can be spoken about another time when you have calmed down.”

“I know exactly what I am doing, Charlie,” said Brax, frowning at her sternly. “I want to press charges against this….this woman,” he said, throwing Tegan a disgusted look before turning and slamming the door behind him.

With the sound of the door slamming still ringing in her ears, Tegan dipped her head, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Charlie smiled sadly, and put a reassuring hand on Tegan’s arm.

“I’ve got to take you down now, Tegan,” she said. “I’m sorry.”

Tegan shook her head. “Don’t apologise. This is my doing.”

Without needing Charlie’s hand to escort her out, Tegan walked down the hall and out the front door to the cop car that waited in the driveway. Following her, Charlie sat into the car seat and they drove the short journey to the police station.

That night, Tegan sat silently in the reception, the interview room and finally, upon being charged with abducting a child, the jail cell. Charlie was amazed at her composure, and she even had a certain amount of respect for Tegan because of it.

Tegan had acknowledged that what she had done was wrong and she was prepared to accept the consequences.

Charlie stayed with Tegan for several hours that night, keeping her company outside the cell. The two women had formed a strange bond; both were in love with the same man and both were hurting because of him.

As the moon shined through the small window, Tegan sighed heavily, and looked over to where Charlie was leaning her head against the bars.

“Thank you, Charlie,” she said, quietly.

Charlie smiled. She and Tegan had formed a bond in the time that they had shared by the river, and unintentionally of Charlie, they had formed a friendship. They were both women who had gone through hard times in their lives but unlike Charlie, Tegan had no family or real friends to help her. But Charlie wasn't going to let Tegan suffer alone.

She and Tegan were complete opposites but they were now friends, and Charlie was always there for her friends.

Thank you all so much for your comments! <3

Happy New Year to you all! :)

Warning: Mild Sexual Content in this chapter.

Chapter 27

For several weeks after the kidnapping, Brax kept Lily at his side at all times. When he went to work, went to the beach or Yabbie Creek, he brought him with her. He would not let his daughter out of his sight. Charlie felt it was getting even a bit extreme at times; Brax would not even let his own family look after Lily for a few hours.

“Brax, honey, I’m her Grandmother, I’m not going to do anything to her,” insisted Cheryl, as she threw her cigarette in the bin.

Brax lifted Lily up in his arms, and held her against his chest protectively. “Mom, I am not having you smoking fags around my baby. What if Lily swallowed one?”

“And how exactly would she do that?” asked Cheryl, raising her eyebrows unimpressed at her eldest son.

“What if when you were throwing it in the bin, it missed and Lily crawled over and swallowed it?!”

“Mate, she’s not even crawling yet,” said Heath, collapsing into the sofa, the remote control in his hand.

“Oh really?” asked Brax, looking at Heath. With that, Brax walked over to the television and placed Lily down on the floor. Taking a few steps back, he bent down on his knees and reached his arms out to her.

“Lily, Lil’, come to Daddy!”

Delightedly, Lily giggled and stretched out her arms to Brax. Then, in one quick move, she moved onto her knees and began crawling over to Brax, her tubby little hands stretching out to him. Upon reaching him, Brax lifted Lily into his arms, and twirled her around in the air, a massive smile on his face.

He then looked to Heath, grinning triumphantly. “I think that qualifies as crawling Heath.”

And with one last look at his mother, Brax walked through the sliding doors and out to the car. Cheryl watched unhappily as they drove away.

“What does he think I’m going to do? Drop her on her head?!”

“Um…Mum, you did that to me,” said Casey, walking into the living room with just a white towel wrapped around his lower body.

Cheryl’s eyes widened with embarrassment as she remembered that day. She turned to her youngest son and threw him a slight smile.

“Well, you still turned out alright, Case!”

The strong sea smell hit Charlie in gushes as she jogged along the beach. The evening sun was low and the surfers were retiring as the tide went out. As Charlie stopped to take a break, she saw a mother and father with their children, who were tidying up after their day on the beach. The children look disappointed as they were forced to leave behind their monstrous sand castle. In an attempt to leave their mark on this spoke, the young boy and girl spelt their names in the sand. Charlie smiled at them fondly as they stood back to admire their work. Then, with a last call from their parents, the children retreated up the beach.

Charlie observed the family just before they disappeared from sight. They were a conventional family, the mother and father with the two point four children. They were a rare sight these days, as so many families were not complete. Just as Charlie thought this, she saw Brax and Lily at the edge of the water. Brax was holding Lily’s hands securely as he dipped her feet into the water. As the cold water hit her little toes, she squealed and retreated into her father’s arms.

Charlie laughed at the sight, wanting so much to be a part of it; this adorable scene of father and daughter love. In a move that surprised herself, Charlie stood up and walked down to where Brax and Lily were standing. Tapping his shoulder lightly, Charlie smiled softly as Brax turned to look at her. He just smiled back at her wordlessly. They didn’t need to speak words to express their feelings. Words didn’t exist.

They held each other’s eyes for several moments, caught up in the moment, until Lily’s piercing giggle brought them back to earth. Smiling at her widely, Charlie stretched out her arms and lifted Lily high up into the air and then nestled her closely against her chest. Almost instinctively, Lily lay her head against Charlie’s shoulder and closed her eyes, tired from the day’s events.

Indicating to the beach trail, Charlie and Brax walked along the water’s edge. Lily was now sound asleep in Charlie’s arms and still, Charlie and Brax were silent. The beach was all but empty now as they sun began to set on the horizon. When they made it back to the path, Charlie silently laid Lily into Brax’s arms. Their arms touched briefly, and before Charlie could pull her hand away, Brax took it in his and squeezed it tightly.

Charlie looked up at Brax, nervously. Did she trust what was happening between them? Did she trust him?

Charlie felt Brax move towards her, their bodies almost touching now as he leant his head in. Charlie quickly took a step back, shaking her head from left to right. Dropping her hand, Brax placed his finger under her chin, and lifted her head so their eyes met.

“I love you.”

Charlie shook her head. “You’ll hurt me again.”

Leaning in again, Brax’s voice was now merely a whisper, a quiet, seductive whisper. “I won’t ever hurt you again.”

And with that, Charlie gave into her emotions, and kissed Brax softly. He kissed her back and their bodies touched as they moved into each other. With his right arm supporting Lily, Brax laid his left hand on Charlie’s cheek as he kissed her softly. The feel of his lips, and the love that he declared for her was almost like the glue that was sealing Charlie’s heart. She couldn’t help loving him; they were drawn to each other. She knew he could hurt her again, he had already done it before, but she couldn’t resist him any longer.

They were like magnets. No matter how far apart they were, they always had that connection.

Having put Lily to bed, Brax closed her bedroom door behind him.

Walking into the master bedroom, Brax began to change for bed. He looked up as he heard the bathroom door opened. He watched as Charlie appeared in the door, her only covering; a towel that was wrapped loosely around her body, her long damp hair hanging at her shoulders.

Brax rose from the bed and walked over to her. Standing in front of her, he ran his hand through her hair and with his finger, stroked her cheek. She closed her eyes and let her head fall backwards. Allowing his emotions to take over his body, Brax lowered his lips to her neck and began to kiss her slowly. As she leaned her head forward, she placed one hand on his back and the other on his cheek, holding him close to her. Looking up at Charlie, Brax caught her eyes and leant his head in towards her.

As he claimed her lips, he pulled the towel away from her and wrapped her hands around her back. Locking her hands behind his neck, she pulled herself up against his body and, as if their bodies were pieces from a jigsaw puzzle, they fitted so perfectly in with each other. They world around them might not have existed for Charlie and Brax were merely focused on themselves. They were together, and that was the way it was going to stay.

As morning dawned, Charlie found herself happily encircled in Brax’s arms. He slept soundly beside her, the sun shining in through the window, so their room was similar to a sauna. Looking to the clock on the locker beside her, Charlie jumped out of bed as she saw she was late. Having promised to go see Tegan at the station at 12pm, Charlie was now half an hour late. The shaking of the bed as Charlie dressed awoke Brax and he watched his girlfriend unhappily as she dressed into her jeans and shirt.

“Where are you going?” he asked, stretching out and grabbing her hand, pulling her back on the bed.

“I promised Teg- actually, I have an appointment in Yabbie Creek,” said Charlie. She doubted Brax would be too impressed if he knew that she was comforting Tegan.

“Can’t you reschedule?” he said, leaning towards her and kissing her neck seductively. Charlie moaned, wanting nothing more than to stay with him just a few moments longer but she had promised Tegan.

“No, I really can’t, I’m sorry,” she said, pecking his cheek lightly and grabbing her handbag.

“Fine,” said Brax, unhappily, sitting up in the bed as he watched Charlie get dressed. “Meet up with you later though?”

“Yeah, of course,” said Charlie, smiling at him happily. She then paused as something important came to her mind and she turned to face Brax again. “What is happening here?” she asked, pointing her finger to him to her body. “Are we back together or is this just a fling?”

“Do you want it to be a fling?” said Brax, sitting up and taking her hands, trying not to sound scared by her answer.

But he did not fool Charlie. She chuckled slightly and leaned in to kiss. “Of course not.”

“Well then we are definitely back together,” said Brax, grinning, while leaning in to kiss her again.

Charlie smiled and resumed dressing for work while Brax reluctantly got out of bed. He stretched for several seconds, remembering the thrill of their recent activities. “Jeez, you almost killed me, Charlie,” he said, trying to stifle a yawn. “How am I going to survive tonight aswell?”

Charlie narrowed her eyes at him as she paused at the bedroom door. “Is it always about the sex with you?”

Brax chuckled and shook his head. “Not usually…but it’s just so much more fun with you!”

Charlie chuckled, and walked through the door, closing it behind her. Life was more fun when she was with Brax; she was herself again. It was almost like when they were apart, they were not meant to be happy.

Like the magnets, they don’t work unless they are joined.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again so much to everyone for your comments!

I love reading them! :D

I'm coming to the end of this fan fic unfortunately!

There's only two or three chapters left so please comment as much as you can!

I appreciate the constant feedback!

You guys have been just amazing! My gratitude is endless! :wink:

Hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

Chapter 28

Watson looked up from her desk as she saw her boss walk through the door. However, Charlie was now here on business, she wast here for personal reasons. "Can you take me through to Tegan Callaghan, please, Georgia?"

Watson raised her eyebrow in surprise but, nevertheless, lead Charlie through to the jail cell. In the corner of the cell, Tegan was curled her, her knees tight against her chest. She looked up as she heard the door open and she smiled slightly as she saw Charlie walk in behind Tegan. Giving her a once over, Watson then left her superior alone with Tegan.

Once the door was closed, Charlie dug her hand deep into her jacket and retrieved a chocolate bar, which she handed to Tegan through the bars.

"I thought you might like this," she said, as Tegan took the bar, bewildered. "I know that the food in here isn't that nice."

"I didn't eat it," said Tegan, placing the bar on the floor beside her, refusing to eat it.

Charlie sighed, disapprovingly. "Tegan, I know you hate this, but you've got to keep your strength up. You're due in court soon and you will need to be strong if you are to have any chance of fighting this."

"You think I should fight what they are accusing me of?" asked Tegan, raising her eyebrow in surprise.

Charlie opened her mouth to speak but then shut it again quickly. Is that really what she meant? "Tegan, you are not a bad person. You have just been dealt the tougher hand in life. That doesn't mean you shouldn't fight. You should fight with all the strength that you can muster because if you don't fight, you're just giving up! The world has no time for people who give up!"

"Charlie, I don't really care what the world thinks," said Tegan, chuckling lightly.

"You know what I mean," said Charlie, seriously. "Look, my step-mother is a lawyer. Would you be interested in talking to her?"

Tegan looked into Charlie's face, trying to figure out why she of all people would be willing to help her. But Tegan didn't want this life, this life behind bars, so she was willing to take any help she got. Smiling at Charlie lightly, she nodded in agreement.

Charlie smiled satisfactorily, and walked over to the door, her phone in her hand. "I'm just going to make a call. I'll be back with your lawyer in about an hour!"

Tegan nodded, and watched Charlie lift the phone to her ear and leave the room, closing the door behind her. She still couldn't fathom why she was being so kind to her. Tegan felt she hardly deserved it. However, she knew too that she and Charlie had struck up a friendship that neither could really explain but that existed nonetheless.

With Charlie's reassurance and confidence boost, Tegan was able to relax a little as she lay back against the wall of the cell. The chocolate bar beside her feet all of a sudden became very appealing and, once again, Tegan was grateful to Charlie for being so nice. The taste of the chocolate sent a warm feeling through Tegan's body and she felt herself again.

Things were bad now, but they would get better. She was sure of that.

"Charlie, have you absolutely lost your senses?!"

Charlie sighed exasperatedly as she looked at her stepmother's bewildered face. Like Tegan, Morag could not understand why Charlie was helping such a girl, and, more to the point was not too keen on being brought into the equation.

"Morag, please? You're the only woman I know who would have a chance of fighting this!"

"Charlie, why do you want to fight this?" asked Morag, her voice growing louder as she struggled to reason with her step-daughter.

Charlie shook her head and turned to pace the room. Running her fingers through her hair, she sighed heavily. "I don't know what it is, Morag, but I feel compelled to help Tegan. These past few months, we have somewhat become friends, and I know that she has caused me a lot of heartbreak, but I don't hate her, I can't hate her. In some ways, I actually feel sorry for her, which sounds ridiculous, I know, but it's just the way I feel. I want to help her, Morag. Doesn't she deserve help?"

"Well, of course she deserves help, Charlie," agreed Morag, coming to sit beside her at Leah's dinner table. "I'm just afraid that you may not get the results that you want out of this. I can already see that you are too deep into this, Charlie. You are setting yourself up for heartbreak!"

Charlie lifted her tired head to look at Morag in surprise. "You don't think she has a chance?"

"I won't really know until I sit down with Tegan, but that still doesn't mean I am going onboard with this. Charlie, I'm worried about you. I'm worried about what this will do to you."

"Don't worry about me, Morag, will you please just help Tegan. She can't afford help and no-one is going to give it to her except me. Brax won't even see her, let alone speak to her!"

Morag observed Charlie's desperate face anxiously, however, nevertheless, agreed to represent Tegan in court. Later that day, they returned to the station, where, after some negotiating with Watson, Tegan was allowed leave to consult with her legal team.

That whole afternoon, Morag, Charlie and Tegan discussed her options and the best possible ways to fight this case. Morag openly admitted that she was unsure of what the outcome would be, and that neither Tegan nor Charlie were to get their hopes up. As Morag made notes with Tegan, and Charlie made important phonecalls, time quickly slipped away from them and before they knew it, Leah had returned from work with VJ. With Morag's promise to return Tegan to the police station, Charlie stayed behind with Leah to help with dinner.

Charlie remained silent for most of the evening but it was not out of worry but of confidence. In her head, she replayed everything that they had done today. She had secured key witnesses and medical evidence to support Tegan's cause. They had the assurance of Tegan's former school Principal to talk about her nature, in an effort to show the jury that Tegan was not a risk to children.

Morag had even discussed looking for an affidavit from Brax, but they all agreed that this was unlikely. Charlie said she would try to ask Brax herself but she still had little hope of securing such a key piece of evidence that would strengthen Tegan's claim to be let off with a lighter sentence.

Leah was quick to notice Charlie's quiet demeanour, and casually asked her friend if anything was wrong. Charlie breezed past her worries, assuring Leah that she was merely tired after the stressful week. Leah went to bed that evening still suspicious that Charlie was hiding something, however, she trusted Charlie to tell her if anything was wrong so the matter did not worry her greatly.

After sharing a brief phone call with Brax, Charlie also went to bed, without thinking twice about their slightly awkward conversation. Brax, however, was worried as to why he had not seen her all day. He even wondered whether she was questioning their reunion. He was about to call her again when he heard Lily crying through the baby monitor. Walking into her room, he lifted her into his arms, rocking her, gently. In his head, he came to the resolution that he would pursue the matter further tomorrow.

It worried him slightly, however he decided to put the matter out of his head, as Lily went back to sleep in his arms. After all, he would see her tomorrow.

The next morning, with still no further word from Charlie, Brax became rather worried, and decided to set out to look for her. He called by the station and was surprised to see that she wasn't there. It was 12pm; Charlie was not usually at home at this time. However, Brax decided that he would just check, and blow him down; Charlie answered the door when he rang the bell.

"Hey, you've been really worrying me," he said, leaning in and kissing her cheek, softly. "Why haven't you called around or rung me?"

"I'm sorry, I've just been busy," said Charlie, holding the door closed behind her.

"Busy doing what? You're not at work!" said Brax, raising his eyebrows in suspicion.

"Brax, I'm just busy, ok," said Charlie, wearily. Absentmindedly, she let go of the door, which allowed it to swing open. Peering inside, Brax was shocked to see Morag and Tegan sitting at the kitchen table. Brax looked in shock from Tegan to Charlie and then walked away without allowing Charlie to explain. Charlie was helping Tegan.

In Brax's eyes, she was betraying him. She had chosen her loyalties, and they certainly weren't with him.

Thanks again so much everyone for all your comments!

Much appreciated! :wink:

Chapter 29

Charlie groaned unhappily as she closed the door behind her. Running her fingers through her hair. This was the result of her not being honest with Brax.

Returning to the kitchen table, where Tegan and Morag were leaning over piles of important documents, Charlie was forced to put her relationship problems with Brax aside. Tegan's court case was only a few days away and she and Morag needed to put as much effort into her case as possible.

Several hours later, Morag slammed down a thick pile of sheets and sighed, heavily. "That's it. That's everything I've managed to compile in time for Thursday morning. This is your entire defence case, Tegan."

"Thank you so much, Mrs Bellingham," said Tegan, smiling at Morag sincerely. "I really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this case."

"Hmm," said Morag, looking at Tegan somewhat disapprovingly. "Well, if it's get you a non-custodial sentence, or even a short sentence, we will just have to wait and see."

"How hopeful are you, Morag?" asked Charlie, looking up at her step-mother, anxiously.

"I am not going to make any predictions at the moment, Charlie," said Morag, smiling at her, politely. "It will be quite clear on Thursday morning whether Tegan stands much of a chance. It will all depend on how strong the prosecutors present Brax's case."

"What are my chances of losing custody?" asked Tegan.

"Um…quite high, I would say. The judge, and the jury, will no doubt hear from the prosecutions both times that you showed recklessness as a mother. Whether the judge grants sole custody to Brax, or limited visitation rights to you will all depend on the day. I would not get your hopes up though, Tegan," said Morag, smiling at her, sadly.

Tegan nodded; she had somewhat known this would be the case. However, Charlie shook her head, angrily. "But won't the judge be more likely to continue the joint custody. Only in rare cases have judges ever completed denied the mother of access to her child. It is almost unheard of."

"If the mother's actions prove to be a strong risk to the safety of the child, then, yes, the judge may entirely deny the mother of her custody and visitation rights. The fact that Tegan took Lily without any concern for her safety, and in fact using her as revenge to hurt Mr Braxton will not sit well with the judge, or the jury."

"But – "

"Charlie, I know you have a lot of questions, but save them for another day. I am too exhausted. I'll see you both tomorrow for the brief."

"Ok, thanks, Morag," said Charlie, leading her to the door.

"Charlie," said Morag, grabbing her arm before leaving. "Remember what I warned you about becoming too emotionally attached?"

"I'm not, Morag, I swear, I just get very passionate about these kinds of things."

"If that's what you want to convince yourself of, Charlie," said Morag, looking at her, disapprovingly. "Look, I am going to try my best on Thursday, but if things don't go Tegan's way, she, and you, will just have to accept it. The problem is though, Charlie, I'm not sure you will be able to accept this. You are getting too involved. It's almost like I'm going to be fighting for you on Thursday."

"Morag, I appreciate the help, ok," said Charlie, sighing impatiently.

Morag recognised her cue to go. "Ok, well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow," said Charlie, before closing the door behind her. She breathed out heavily as she relayed over everything that Morag had said. She was right, of course, but Charlie would never admit that. She would just have to make sure she controlled her feelings in court on Thursday.

Wednesday went past way too quickly for Tegan, Charlie and Morag and before they knew it they were at court at 11am sharp on Thursday morning. Brax had purposely kept his distance from Charlie since seeing her with Tegan, so Charlie hadn't even had a chance to see Lily in days.

In an attempt to be friendly, she approached Brax as he waited in the car-park for his defence team. "Hey, how are you?" she asked, running her hand down his arm. He turned to look at her disdainfully. "I'm alright, thank you. Shouldn't you be back over there reassuring her or something?" he asked, watching Tegan, who stood beside Morag, making small, sharp movements in anxiety.

"I'll go back over to them in a minute," said Charlie, smiling at him. "I just wanted to check up on you."

"Well, I'm fine, thank you," said Brax, looking away from her again.

"How's Lily?"

"She's also fine. I've got Heath minding her."

Charlie raised her eyebrows. "Do you really think that is a wise idea?"

Brax frowned at Charlie. "I don't really think you have a right to question my parenting, Charlie."

Charlie sighed heavily, shaking her head in disbelief. "Brax, stop being so childish! My helping Tegan is not me making a choice between you and her. I just want to give her a fair chance. Doesn't everyone deserve that?"

"Not when they've done something so disgusting," said Brax, giving Tegan a look as if she was filth under his shoe.

Charlie hissed, scathingly. "Brax, you can hardly judge Tegan, especially seeing as you've done some questionable things in your life! Besides, Tegan felt alone; she felt alone and lost and she felt as if the whole world was putting pressure on her! She was alone! And I know how she feels because once I was alone too. I am only giving Tegan the support that I never got! Think about what she's been through in her life and on top of all that, she could go to jail! I think everyone deserves support, Brax. Even Tegan!" she said, before walking back over to Tegan and Morag.

He watched her as she walked away, dumbfounded as to what was just thrown at him. A part of him even felt guilty for giving Charlie the cold shoulder, and for even pressing charges on Tegan in the first place. Did he not want Lily to know her mother? Tegan might not be a great Mum but she was Lily's Mum all the less.

But Brax knew that it was now too late to change what would inevitable happen and all he could do was hope that the judge would be lenient. As the clock struck 11am, Brax sighed and went to join his prosecution lawyer, where she stood on the steps of the court house. She merely smiled at him politely as she scanned through the files in her arms. Brax smiled slightly as she reassured him that they would win this case.

"There is no reason why we shouldn't!" she said with a confident smile.

Brax sighed. What would be, would be.

Thanks again so much for all your comments everyone! :wink:

Here's the next chapter!

Chapter 30

The defendant, defence and prosecution teams were not waiting long; promptly, at 11.30am, the doors to the court room opened and Charlie, Tegan and Morag were the first to step into the council chambers, followed by Aden and his team. Giving Tegan a reassuring hug, Charlie took her place in the viewer's section and stood obediently as the judge entered the room.

"Your honour, my client is being subjected to this court case for a crime that she acknowledges that she committed but has gone ahead without any sympathy for her personal history. For the reassurance of my client, I would like to dismiss this hearing now, if possible."

"Ms Bellingham, I have read the report you sent to my chambers about the personal history of your client but after hearing a brief summary of the case from the prosecution, I feel that I must carry on with this hearing."

Morag sat down, defeatedly, while the prosecutor smiled smugly, and stood up as he prepared to present his first argument. In a long winded, jargon-filled speech, he went into great detail the pain caused by Tegan when she took Lily from the care of her father and her family. He explained the medical complications of a young child being deprived of essential foods etc. He further developed on how the situation could develop the emotional development of the child as she grew older. He called Tegan forward and, insensitively, asked her about her motives for taking her own child and putting her through such an ordeal. He showed little sympathy for doctors as they explained the complexities and results of post-natal depression and he merely dismissed the important points made by Tegan's character witnesses. However, on interviewing Brax, his demeanor and manner immediately changed and he turned into the compassionate, understanding prosecutor that was looking for truth and justice.

Morag tried her very best to match the same well directed points at Tegan's key witnesses but even she knew that things did not look good for Tegan. The prosecution's case was too compelling. The judge adjourned the court, so to give him time to reach a verdict. Meanwhile, Charlie joined Morag and Tegan, nervously, outside, as they waited for the judge to decide on his verdict.

"So…what do you think our chances are?" asked Charlie, biting her lip, nervously. Seeing how pale Tegan was, beside her, Charlie slipped her arm through hers and began rubbing it reassuringly.

Morag smiled remorsefully at Tegan. "Not good, unfortunately." She looked at Tegan's downcast face. "It would be cruel of me to get your hopes up, Tegan, I'm sorry. It definitely looks like you'll be doing time for this."

Tegan gasped quietly, and tears came to the rim of eyes, and slowly began trailing down her face. Beside her, Charlie felt sick. She couldn't believe the injustice that was surely about to occur. Looking up at the doors of the chamber, she saw the clerk nod at Morag and Brax's prosecutor.

"It's time," said Morag, touching Tegan's arm lightly. Tegan lifted her head, from where it was buried in her lap and let go of Charlie's hand, walking somewhat confidently in to the chamber. Looking to her step-mother, Charlie exchanged with her a scared look. Morag smiled at Charlie reassuringly and took her arm so they entered the court room together. Behind them followed Brax, Heath and the prosecution team. Brax had seem Tegan's petrified face when she had walked in to the chamber, and a small part of him felt a twinge of guilt for the sentence she was surely about to receive. But, the inevitable was out of his hands now. Tegan's future was in the hands of the judge.

Having bidded Heath goodbye, Brax took his place in the seat beside his prosecution lawyer. Across the other side of the room, Brax saw Tegan's pale face and her shaking body, and he saw as Morag attempted to calm her down. Looking behind him and into the stands, he saw Charlie who was biting her lip nervously. As she looked around the room, they caught each other's eyes and held them for several minutes. Charlie looked into his eyes, nervously, afraid that he hated her for supported Tegan. Yes, Brax had been frustrated but now, he could understand Charlie's reasons. Hoping to meet up with her afterwards, he smiled at her, reassuringly. Charlie exhaled in relief and smiled back at him, hoping that her smile would also convey her feelings for him.

Charlie and Brax immediately looked forward again as the side door opened and in walked the judge. Everybody rose and, after the judge took his seat, sat again. The judge was not an old man, Tegan noticed as she looked up at the face of the man that was now deciding her future. He looked reasonably, she thought. Perhaps he would be lenient on her.

Leaning forward in his seat, the judge folded his hands and began to speak, solemnly. "Under our system of law, the burder of proof lies with the prosecution and I cannot deny that it has meticulously met. There is no doubt that the actions of Tegan Callaghan, despite her depression, could have led to a far worse result had her actions not been thwarted. While I am reluctant to impose such a young person, with so much potential and, no doubt, talents to offer the world, with a custodial sentence, the type of behaviour cannot go ahead unpunished. Having realised that, I have come to a decision."

Bracing herself, Tegan drew in a breath. "Tegan Callaghan, will you please rise," asked the judge, extended his hand out. Together, Morag and Tegan stood up and the whole courtroom waited in bated breath for the judge's verdict. "Miss Callaghan, I am sentencing you to seven years in custody and to pay $5,000 to Mr Braxton in compensation."

As tears began to flood from her eyes, Tegan collapsed into her chair and burst into tears, her body shaking uncontrollably. In a sign of recognition, Morag crossed the chamber and shook the prosecutions hand. He smiled back, solemnly.

"Tegan Callaghan, you are to be remanded in custody until your transfer to a security centre," said the judge solemnly, before adjourning the court and disappearing into his private chambers. Tegan was forced to stand as two guards approached her, taking one of her hands each. Tears still streaming down her cheeks, she let them pull her through the court room and in the back chambers.

Tegan was crying. She was crying for the life that she had ruined…that she had ruined all by herself.

Stepping outside the court house, Charlie wiped away the tears that were trailing down her cheeks. She looked to Morag who was walking with her and she managed to smile. Morag smiled back and rubbed Charlie's back supportively.

"Surely you knew Charlie that this verdict was a possibility?" she asked, going to stand in front of Charlie at the bottom of the steps.

Charlie sniffed a little as she wiped away her last few tears. "Yeah, I did but I didn't let myself think about it…I hoped that the judge would be sympathetic, that she would just be given community service or something…I didn't think there would be a custodial sentence!"

"It is unusual," admitted Morag. "But then again, this is an unusual. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, Charlie. You did everything you could to help Tegan," she said, kindly. Charlie nodded, knowingly.

Looking over Charlie's shoulder, she saw Brax approaching them with Lily in his arms. "I think someone wants to talk to you," she said to Charlie, indicating to Brax.

Turning around, Charlie smiled as she saw Brax approaching her. In his arms, Lily gurgled and smiled happily as she saw Charlie, stretching her arms out to her. Charlie smiled widely and willingly accepted Lily in her arms. Lily snuggled right in, laying her head against Charlie's chest. Charlie let out a heavy sigh and kissed the top of Lily's head…she had felt as if a part of her had been missing without Lily.

"Hey beautiful," she said, looking into her bright eyes. "I've missed you so much!" Looking up to Brax, she smiled. "Thank you for bringing her….I've really missed her."

"She's missed you too," said Brax, smiling at Charlie and then to his daughter who was sitting complacently in Charlie's arms. "She's been asking for you."

"She has?!" asked Charlie, her eyes lighting up, looking into Lily's face and kissing her.

"She kept calling out 'choo'! We thought she meant her toy train but when we would hand it to her, she would just throw it away. And now seeing how happy she is with you, I'm pretty sure she was trying to call out your name!"

Charlie smiled happily and hugged Lily tightly in her arms. Then, Charlie lifted her head and she and Brax both turned as they heard a door opening behind them. Escorting by the chamber guards, Tegan was being led away to her detention van. Charlie immediately walked over to her, Lily still in her arms. Since she knew the police guards, they allowed her a few moments alone to speak with Tegan. As they spoke, Brax hovered close by in the background, slightly worried for Lily even though he knew Charlie would never let any harm come to her.

"I'm sorry that things have to be this way," said Charlie, as she smiled sadly at Tegan.

Tears glistened in Tegan's eyes as she looked at Charlie. "It's ok…you and Mrs Bellingham tried your best. I think I was always doomed from the start though."

"Don't say that," said Charlie, shaking her head. "And promise me that you'll stay strong in, in there. Don't let them get to you…you are not a criminal; the justice system here is just messed up!"

Tegan laughed, humourlessly. "Thanks, Charlie," she said, with a slight smile. She then looked to Lily, who was looking imperiously at her mother, this woman who she didn't really know but with whom she had an everlasting connection. Tegan smiled at her and reached out to rub her cheek. Behind Charlie, Brax jumped forward nervously upon seeing Tegan stretch out her hand, but then he saw her rubbing Lily's cheek and he relented.

She was saying her goodbyes.

Charlie smiled down at Lily as she grabbed Tegan's hand with her little fingers and made a fist. Tegan chuckled lightly, just about managing to free her finger. She then saw the look in Charlie's eyes as she smiled at Lily, and smiled softly.

"Be a mother to her, Charlie," she said, quietly.

"What?!" asked Charlie, looking up in surprise.

"Be the mother that I never was," said Tegan, squeezing Charlie's hand. "Lily loves you so, and I know you love her as if you were her own mother, so be it…be her mother. You are already pretty much doing it."

Tears came to the edges of Charlie's eyes and then slowly trailed down her cheek. With all the strength she could muster, she grabbed Tegan's arm and held it tight. "I will look after her until you come back."

Tegan shook her head. "And who is to say I will be a better mother to her then…if anything, I will be a worse mother. By then, I will just be a stranger to her, not her mother. You will be her mother, Charlie."

"Tegan, I couldn't; she's your baby," insisted Charlie, as Lily played with thick strands of her brown hair.

"I am going to sign over custody to you. You can adopt her, and you and Brax can become a proper family. He always loved you more than me."

"Tegan – "

"That's all the time I can give you, Sergeant Buckton, I'm sorry," said the guard, as he and his colleague put a hand on each of Tegan's arms.

"Take her and look after her, Charlie. Please? Do it for me?" begged Tegan, as she was led away.

Charlie watched in horror as the doors of the detention van opened. "Tegan, I'll do it," she cried out, as Tegan stepped into the van. Tegan turned and smiled at Charlie before disappearing into the van, the doors slamming beside her.

Charlie burst into tears as the van drove away and held Lily tightly in her arms, needing desperately to feel the warmth of her body. She could really believe now that it was her own baby that she was holding her in arms? Did she really want to take on that responsibility?

Turning around, she walked back towards Tegan who was waiting by his car, the car now entirely empty apart from the three of them. Charlie was surprised to see a sad and regretful look on Brax's face as she approached him. Stopping in front of him, he sighed heavily. "I'm sorry that I made you choose between me and Tegan that was wrong of me. And I'm sorry for not letting you see the baby. I handled the whole situation dreadfully."

"It's ok," said Charlie, as Lily drifted off to sleep in her arms. "I can understand why you were angry….if anyone hurt Ruby in any way, I would not understand someone giving them the time of day."

Brax smiled. "Are we still ok? I know what I did was selfish but I could not bear it if this affected things between us. I still love you, Charlie, no matter who or what you fight for."

Charlie smiled and reached out to squeeze his hand. "I love you too."

Brax smiled and let out a sigh of relief.

"Tegan wants me to adopt Lily," she said, as she cradled the baby in her arms. "She's going to sign over custody to me, too."

Brax's eyes widened slightly in surprise but he then smiled happily at the thought. "I think Lily would really like that…I know that I would."

Charlie smiled widely and then looked into Lily's sleeping face. "I guess I'm your Mummy now." As if she understood her, Lily smiled and reached up to touch Charlie's face with her little fingers. Charlie looked to Brax who was smiling widely and then looked to her daughter nestled in her arms.

This was how things were meant to be.

Archived