Where the Heart Lies

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thank you for all the comments.

But what about poor old Casey, he's keeping a low profile.

I thought Xave was going to marry Amy for the money for a minute, but knowing you Red, he probably did and kept it secret :P

I did realise Casey dipped out of the story a bit at this point so, because you noticed too, I decided to stick him in this chapter and the next one.And no, Xavier isn't married to Amy.

CHAPTER 21

Romeo and Ruby headed into his house.“I can’t believe exams are finally over,”Ruby commented.

“I know,”Romeo agreed,“we’ve finally finished school.For the…fourth time in my case.”

“Well, if you liked it, you could go back and do it again.”

“Uh-uh.Me and school are finally finished.”He grabbed her by the hand and pulled her towards him, kissing her.He smiled at her.“And I feel like celebrating.”

Ruby returned the kiss, their hands roaming around each other’s bodies, until she reluctantly pulled away. “Someone could come home soon.”

Romeo looked around and his eyes alighted on the caravan keys.He grabbed one for a van that he knew was empty and held it up.“You up for it?”

Ruby grinned and nodded.

He took her hand and they hurried out of the house.

Casey put Xavier’s milkshake down in front of him at the Diner.“Hey, cheer up, we’re meant to be celebrating.School’s out.”

Xavier eyed him suspiciously.“Is there some reason you’re not celebrating with Ruby?”

“I’m not sure.She seemed to take off pretty quickly and her mobile’s switched off.”

It took Xavier a few seconds to realise Casey was telling the truth.He grinned.“Sorry, I just thought they’d put you on suicide watch or something.”

Casey shook his head.“No, just grabbing the only company I could find.Any idea what happened to April and Dex?”

“Off doing some celebrating of their own.”

“What does that entail?”

“Watching all the Alien movies, apparently.At least, it was going to until they decided to pretend there was only two of them and just watch those.”

Casey nodded, wishing he hadn’t asked.“What about Amy?You heard anything from her since she left town?”

“No.Guess she can marry that Brad guy now.Won’t get fifty thousand dollars for it though.”

“It’s enough to put you off girls, isn’t it?”

Xavier sighed.“Well, I guess I’m kinda getting used to the knockbacks.Anyway, it’s not like I’m the only one that has them.”

Indi was waiting in the front room of the caravan park when Nicole came back downstairs.“Okay, George is fed and changed and put down for a nap,”Nicole noted,“And I’ve got this”-she held up a baby monitor-“which means I can get on with the list of jobs Miles left.”

“I can go if you’re busy,”Indi offered.

“No, really, I could use the company.George might be cute but he doesn’t offer much in the way of conversation and his gossip is limited to who he’s burped on today.Unless you’ve got somewhere to go?”

“No, I was kinda hoping to catch up with Romeo and ask him how his exam went but I haven’t seen him.”

“He’ll probably turn up sooner or later,”Nicole observed,“You can help me with the vans if you just grab the spare keys.”

Indigo took a handful of keys from the rack and she and Nicole headed towards the vans.

“Van 6,”Nicole announced, looking at the list Miles had given her.She held out a hand to Indigo.“Key?”

Indigo checked through the bunch of keys in her hand, examining the numbers.“I don’t think it’s here.”

“What?”Nicole sighed in frustration.“Well, it’s definitely on the list.And it’s definitely empty, I remember the couple checking out this morning.Don’t tell me someone’s lost the key…”

Indigo pushed the door and it swung back.“It’s open,”she announced.

“Oh great, maybe the key’s in there.”Nicole followed Indigo into the van.

They stopped in the doorway, both of them taking in the scene at a glance:Romeo and Ruby in bed, identical guilty expressions on their faces as they tried to cover their naked bodies with the sheets, their clothes scattered across the caravan floor.

Indi pushed past Nicole and ran from the scene.

Nicole caught up with Indi as she headed into the house.“Indi!Indi, wait!”

Indi turned to face her, tears in her eyes.“How could they…how could they do that?”

“I know, I know.”Nicole held Indigo’s arms comfortingly.“They’re both pigs.”

“I thought…I thought he loved me.”

Nicole rubbed her friend’s shoulder.“I’ll get you a glass of water, okay?”She headed towards the kitchen.

Romeo and Ruby came bustling in through the door, having hastily got dressed, Ruby staying by the door while Romeo rushed forward to catch Indigo by the arm.“Indi, I’m sorry, okay?I didn’t mean for you to see that.”

Nicole stormed over, pushed Romeo away from Indi and slapped him round the face.“You…How could you do that to her?You make me sick.”Her eyes alighted on Ruby.“And you!”She stormed over to her and slapped her as well.“Get out of my house!”Ruby shot her a tearful look then hurried out.Nicole turned on Romeo again.“And you’d better be grateful you live here because if you didn’t I’d be telling you to get out as well!”

“Nicole…can you let us talk for a moment?”Indigo asked quietly.

Nicole continued to glare at Romeo for a second before turning to Indi, her expression softening.“I’ll go and check on George,”she said, giving Indi a quick hug before heading upstairs.

Indigo looked at Romeo defiantly.“You going to tell me that wasn’t what it looked like?”

“No, it…it was.”Romeo took a deep breath.“I’ve been sleeping with Ruby.”

“Sleeping?”Indigo repeated,“That…that wasn’t a one-off?How long?”

“Since we all went away.”

“But…that was nearly three months ago!You’ve been with me since then, you’ve…you’ve been sleeping with me…”

“No, I stopped, remember?”Romeo asked desperately,“I…I didn’t want to…”

“You think that makes it all right?Going out with me then heading round to have sex with her?Where were you doing it?”

“I dunno.Here, her place…”Romeo paused awkwardly.“Hotels…”

Indigo eye’s widened in realisation.“The Sands?That time I followed you, I thought you were being a good friend, helping Xavier…Amy being there was just a stroke of luck for you, wasn’t it?You were there with her!”

Romeo nodded.“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you, I just…I didn’t know how…I should have ended this a long time ago, I know that.”He backed away, out of the door.“I’m sorry,”he said one last time before disappearing from sight.

Romeo found Ruby sat in the long grass at the top of the beach.He sat down next to her, looking into her tear-sticken face.“I’m sorry,”he told her, before giving a rueful grin,“I seem to be saying that a lot at the moment.”

Ruby shook her head in frustration.“How could we have been so stupid?”

“I know, we should have locked the door.”

“Not that!”Ruby snapped,“The whole thing!Us!I’ve spent so long trying to be friends with everyone again and now I’m right back to square one!Nicole and Indi already hate me, everyone else will too when they find out:Casey, Xavier, maybe even Dex and April!And Mum…It’s going to happen all over again, everyone’s just gonna see me as the town slapper than broke up you and Indi.”

“That’s not what happened,”Romeo pointed out.

“But that’s how they’ll see it!We should never have started this, I knew it was going to end badly.”

“That’s not true.”

She looked at him in surprise.“What do you mean?”

Romeo took a deep breath.“We went about this the wrong way, we should have been upfront from the start but…we didn’t make a mistake starting this.I’m sorry Indi found out the way she did but I’m not sorry she’s found out because…because now we don’t have to sneak around anymore.”He took her hand and looked her in the eye.“I love you, Ruby.”He saw the disbelief in her eyes, the fear of being hurt again.“I love you,”he repeated.

Ruby swallowed hard, her heartbeat increasing, her stomach filled with butterflies at the words.“You know how I feel,”she said at last.

He nodded.“Do you think…do you think we can be together?”

Cautiously, she leaned forward and kissed him.He responded to the kiss gently, softly caressing her.They lay down in the long grass, holding each other close as they shared the tender kiss.Neither of them caring anymore who saw.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big thank you for all your comments on this.We're...sort of near the end but there's quite a few chapters to go as yet.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 22

Ruby held tightly on to Romeo’s hand as they entered the kitchen.“Charlie?”she called out cautiously, “Mum?”

Charlie came through from the living room, taking in the hand holding and nervous body language at a glance.“Ruby?”she prompted.

Ruby took a deep breath.“Romeo and I…we’re together.”

Charlie seemed unimpressed.“Together?”

“We’re in love.”

“What about Casey and Indigo?”

“Indi knows about it, Casey…we’ve got to sort that out.”

“You told her?”

Ruby bit her lip.“She found out,”she admitted.

Charlie looked even less impressed.

“We are serious about this, Charlie,”Romeo insisted.

Charlie’s gaze ran from one of them to the other, finally settling on Romeo even though it was her daughter she addressed.“Ruby, can you go and wait in the other room?I need to talk to Romeo for a minute.”

Ruby looked quizzically at Romeo, who gave her a quick kiss.“It’ll be okay,”he told her.She smiled at him and headed into the other room.

Charlie gestured for Romeo to sit at the table, standing over him.“So, am I to take it you and my daughter have been sleeping together again?”

Romeo nodded.“Look, Charlie…”

“Well, if you’re my daughter’s boyfriend you should probably call me Miss Buckton.Or Sergeant Buckton.”

“Miss Buckton.I know it looks bad and I know you’ve got reason not to trust me…”

“Like the fact that you’ve hurt Ruby before?Like the fact that you’ve cheated on Indi, again?What’s to say you won’t hurt Ruby when someone else takes your fancy?What’s to say you’d even be with her if Indi hadn’t found out?”

“I’ve wanted Ruby for a long time, I just wasn’t brave enough to admit it.”Romeo took a deep breath. “Look, I know it’s going to take time, Miss Buckton…”

Charlie softened slightly.“Charlie.”

“Charlie,”Romeo repeated gratefully,“But I love Ruby and she loves me and I hope one day you’ll realise that.”

“I hope so too,”Charlie replied, leaning over him,“Because if you hurt her, I swear your life won’t be worth living.”

Charlie headed into the room where Ruby was sitting at the table.Ruby gave her a pained look.“Please don’t start.”

“I don’t know where to start, Ruby.You’ve already got a boyfriend, he’s already got a girlfriend and yet you’ve been…”

“We fell in love, Charlie.Haven’t you ever fallen in love with the wrong person?”

Charlie sighed.“Yes.And I know I haven’t always handled it well but for goodness sake, Ruby, why couldn’t you have just broken up with Casey first?Why all this secrecy?”

“I don’t know,”Ruby admitted,“It just…I never thought Romeo and I would get this far, that he’d want to be with me.And now he does and I’m happy and…can’t you be happy for me?”

“I want you to be happy, Ruby, you know that, but Romeo’s let you down in the past and what’s to say it’s going to be any different this time?”

“It just is, okay?Is he still here?”

“No, he’s gone.”Charlie paused, seeming reluctant to continue.“He told me to pass on a message to you. He wants you to meet him at the caravan park in an hour.Says he’s planning something special for you. And…he said you could pack an overnight bag if you want.”

Ruby smiled.She jumped to her feet and kissed Charlie on the cheek.“Thanks, Mum.”She skipped off in the direction of her room.

“Ruby!”Charlie called after her, making her stop,“Just…make sure that it’s worth it, okay?”

Xavier and Casey were sat at the same table in the Diner, experimenting with how high they could pile their collection of empty drinks cups.They managed four before it collapsed in a heap, causing Irene to come storming over to the table.“If you’re only going to sit there demolishing the place, you can get out,” she told them.

“Sorry, Irene,”Xavier apologised,“Two more juices, please.”He waited until Irene was out of earshot before sighing.“We are so bored.”

“And I’m not really looking forward to going home,”Casey admitted.

“Oh, what’s up?”

“Well, now I’ve finished school, Mum will probably expect me to take some dead end job and pay my way.Can’t say I’m looking forward to that.What about you?”

Xavier laughed.“I don’t think Mum would accept anything less than me taking a masters degree.And I’m not sure that’s what I want either.”He noticed Indigo entering the Diner.“Hey, Indi!You fancy having two new classmates at uni next year?”

Indigo came and sat with them.“Are Romeo and Ruby gonna be there as well?”

Xavier looked non-plussed at the comment.“Maybe, why?”

“Is something wrong?”Casey asked.

Indi sighed.“There’s something I need to tell you.”

Romeo and Ruby were sat cross legged on the floor of the same caravan they had been in a few hours ago. Darkness had fallen outside and the curtains were drawn.A series of candles were dotted about, bathing them in a romantic glow.

Ruby finished off her takeaway meal and added the carton to the pile in between them.“You have really got to stop shouting me meals.”

Romeo smiled.“I like shouting you.”

“Well, this is going to be a modern relationship, okay?You only pay for four meals out of five.”

“Done.”

Ruby sighed.“Does it feel weird, the two of us being in a relationship?I mean, a proper one?”

“A bit,”Romeo admitted,“And I might be a rat for saying this, given how many people got hurt, but I feel really happy about it.”

Ruby smiled.“Me too.”She took his hand, leaned over and kissed him softly.“It’s just…”

“Casey?”

“Yeah.”Ruby had received a text message from him just before she’d got there.It had been short and to the point, aiming at least one four letter word in her direction and leaving her with no doubt that he knew what was going on.“But…that’s one we’ve got to worry about in the morning.At the moment, we’re…”She looked around at their surroundings with sudden amusement.“Here.”

“Yeah, I did think about inviting you up to the house but things are still a bit tense there.And we have already…”

“Christened it?”Ruby offered.

Romeo gave an embarrassed smile.“Yeah.”He nodded towards the bed.“Do you want to turn in?”

“Yeah.Give me a moment.”Ruby grabbed her overnight bag and headed into a secluded corner.

Romeo blew out all the candles except the one nearest the bed, stripped down to his boxers and clambered beneath the sheets.A few moments later, Ruby emerged into the light.She had changed into a loose fitting vest and some baggy trousers.“Well?”she asked.

Romeo looked at her incomprehendingly.“Am I meant to be complimenting you on your outfit?”

“Yeah because…because this is what I wear.I don’t always wear sexy underwear and…if we’re going to do this, if this is going to be real, then you have to get that there are times when I’m, well, not going to be as hot as I can be and…”

“Ruby,”Romeo interrupted,“I’ve seen you in your school uniform with that baggy dress and the knee length socks and the sensible shoes…”

“Yeah, okay, no need to go on…”

“…and I’ve still wanted to rip it off you.You look beautiful in anything, okay?”

Ruby smiled and clambered into bed with him.He began kissing her and she responded to it.Their bodies tingled at the touch and his hand travelled up under her top…and then she pulled away.He looked at her, worried.“Did I do something wrong?”

“No.”Ruby took a deep breath.“Okay, I’m going to hate myself for saying this but…can we not?’Cos we’re not going to have sex every night and that’s something else we need to get used to so…can you just hold me?”

Romeo seemed surprised and perhaps a little disappointed but she was relieved to see he wasn’t angry. “Yeah, sure.But…when did you get this responsible?”

“Okay, I know it’s not like me but I don’t want to make a mess of this.It’s too important to me.I mean, you’re too important to me.I don’t just want to be your lover.I want to be your girlfriend.”

He kissed her lightly on the lips.She smiled at him and rolled over onto her side.She felt his arms encircle her waist and he kissed her softly on the back of the neck and on her hair before settling down next to her. “Night, Rube,” he whispered.

Ruby smiled and blew out the candle.

Wow, people fighting over one of my fictions, it's been a while.Hope you like this.

CHAPTER 23

Romeo was the first to wake, the morning sunlight streaming in through the caravan window.He bent over Ruby’s sleeping form and kissed her on the cheek.She stirred at the touch, rolling over and looking up at him.“So yesterday did happen, huh?”she asked.

Romeo nodded.“How do you feel?”

“Like I want to barricade that door and just stay in here.”

“Well, we could do.”

“No.We need to get out and face people.”Ruby sighed.“Like Casey.”

“Do you want me to go with you to see him?”Romeo asked.

“Yeah, cos having you standing there would make things so much better, wouldn’t it?I’ll be all right.”

“I just…I wish there was something I could do to make it easier for you.”

“You could remind me why we did this.”

Romeo started to kiss her, softly at first but slowly growing more passionate.“I thought we weren’t going to do this,”he commented in between kisses.

“Well, we lasted the night,”Ruby fired back.

“Oh, look, it’s Summer Bay’s Public Enemy Numbers One and Two,”Miles commented when Romeo and Ruby finally made it to the house.

They both looked uncomfortable.“We’re sorry, Mr.Copeland,”Ruby began.

Miles silenced them with a wave of the hand.“Okay, I suspect Charlie’s given both of you a better lecture than I could give.You did the wrong thing and I think you both know that and there’s gonna be enough consequences and enough people giving you a hard time without me adding to it.So, just eat your breakfast.”

As Romeo and Ruby sat at the table, Nicole came downstairs, carrying George.She stopped at the sight of them.“There’s, er, toast there,”Romeo told her, gesturing to the rack.

Nicole ignored him, addressing her son instead.“Hey, George, what about we go and see your Auntie Indi, hey?I think that’d be more fun that hanging around here.”She turned and headed back the way she’d come.

Miles placed his mug of coffee on the table and took his seat.“That, I’m afraid, is something you’re going to get a lot of.”

Romeo had been tempted to stay at the house while Ruby was going to see Casey but he thought if she was facing the world he should too, so he headed to the Diner for a coffee.Leah was cold towards him but didn’t refuse his order, jotting it down and then heading into the back.So maybe things weren’t going to be so bad after all.

It was just as he was thinking that that someone spun him round and delivered a punch to his jaw that knocked him to the ground.

Romeo looked up to find Xavier standing over him, an angry look on his face.“That’s for Indi and Casey,” he told him.

Romeo nodded.“Okay, I guess I deserved that.Can I get up?”Xavier shook his head in disgust and headed for the door.Romeo scrambled to his feet and ran after him.“Xavier, wait,”he called, turning his friend around.

Xavier shook his hand off and looked at him angrily.“Do you have any idea what this is like for them? Because trust me, I have.Every time I was with Ruby, she was always finding some other guy that she suddenly decided she liked better.And now…now you’re one of them?!”

“Come on, Xav, I thought we were friends.”

“We were,”Xavier confirmed, in a tone that left no room for argument,“Not anymore.”He walked away and this time Romeo didn’t stop him.

It had taken Ruby a while to reach Mangrove River and when she finally arrived at the Braxton house, she found a combi van outside and Casey and two other teens loading it with bags.She came running over. “Casey, wait!”

Casey gave her a look of disdain.“Oh, look who it is.”

“I need to talk to you.”

“What about?About the fact that you’ve been sleeping with Romeo?You’re a bit late, half the town already knows about that one.”

“I’m sorry, Casey, I never meant for this to happen…”

“Oh, you think that makes it all right, do you?”Casey looked at her in disgust.“You know, when I first met you, I thought you were really something.A real classy girl, the sort of person I didn’t think I’d have a chance in hell with.But now?You might have your airs and graces, your policewoman mother, your cosy middle class home…but you’re no better than the girls round here.I’m through with the lot of you.”He turned to get in the van.

“Casey, wait!”Ruby protested,“You can’t throw everything away over this!”

“What, you really think you’re worth me ruining my life over?”Casey asked scornfully,“I’ve got my HSC, I can go anywhere, go to uni, get a job.I don’t need Mangrove River and I don’t need Summer Bay.And I never have to see any of you again.”He got into the van with the other boys.“See you, Ruby,”he added sarcastically.

The van drove off, leaving Ruby standing alone in the middle of the road.

Thank you for all the comments.Bit of a short one, hope you enjoy it.

CHAPTER 24

Indigo had the uncomfortable feeling that everyone was looking at her.She’d considered phoning in sick, the prospect of working a shift at the Diner seeming very unappealing, but she’d decided to shoulder on. And hope Romeo and Ruby had decided to hide away.

When Xavier came in, she wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or not.He was a friendly face but also someone else who was all too aware of what had gone on.“How are you feeling?”he asked.

“Fed up of people asking questions like that,”she replied bluntly.

“Okay, okay.I get it.Sorry.I just…I want you to know I’m on your side here.”

“I thought Romeo was your friend.”

“I guess he wasn’t the person I thought he was.”

Indigo managed a genuine smile of gratitude.“Well, I’m glad I’ve still got one friend.Heard anything from Casey?”

“No, I think he’s gone for good.Hopefully he’ll have better luck somewhere else.”Xavier took a deep breath.“I was just wondering, do you fancy going to the cinema some time?”

Indigo lowered her gaze, avoiding his eyes, suddenly uncomfortable with the conversation.She hastily moved out from behind the counter and began wiping a table that she knew full well didn’t need wiping, hoping Xavier would get the message.

Instead he just stood behind her.“That was me asking you out, by the way,”he explained.

Indi didn’t look round.“Yeah, I got that.”

“Don’t get me wrong.I mean, I think you’re hot and everything, I’d be lying if I said different.But…I just thought that with everything that happened with Amy and now Romeo and Ruby, and April and Dex are off doing their own thing…There aren’t really that many people for us to hang out with and I just thought you might need a friend.So, maybe we could go out, you know, as friends?”

Indigo turned round and kissed him, pressing her lips hard against his and caressing them passionately for several seconds.When she stopped, his expression seemed to be halfway between grinning like a loon and being about to faint from shock.

“Or, yeah, that’s quite nice too,”he managed at last.

If Indigo had felt embarrassed before, she felt even more so now.She had no idea where the kiss had come from, some strange, stupid impulse that she really should have thought better of.She cleared her throat. “Yeah, going out as friends sounds okay.How about you pick me up after my shift tomorrow, about five?”

“Yeah, sounds good.See you then.”Xavier made a quick exit, looking as confused as she felt.

Indigo sighed deeply, not sure if she’d just made a bad situation worse or at the very least made a big mistake.

Although she had to admit, that kiss had actually been quite good.

Romeo and Ruby were sat on the floor in his room.Romeo was resting against the wall, Ruby was resting against him.“So how long do you think we can stay here for?”she asked.

“I dunno,”he replied,“Not really fancying going out though.Dexter’s probably lying in wait somewhere to punch me in the face.”

“And then April can slap me,”Ruby agreed,“And even downstairs is a minefield…”

“…because we’ve got Nicole giving us evils,”Romeo finished.

“And we’re not even safe if we leave town, since half of Mangrove River blames me for driving Casey away.I’m not saying you’re not worth it and everything but…I just wish that us being together hadn’t caused us to lose all our friends.”

“It’ll get better,”Romeo told her.

“Will it?”she asked uncertainly.

“Yeah.Eventually.I think.”He hesitated.“Or…”He broke off.

“Or?”Ruby prompted.

“Or…there’s something else we could do.But I’m not sure if you’d go for it.”

“Anything’s better than nothing.”

“You might change your mind when you hear what it is.”

Yay for XIndi! :wub:

Now there's a couple name I'm sure no-one expected to hear.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

CHAPTER 25

“So, does that qualify as some sort of achievement?”Ruby asked, as she and Romeo headed up the driveway towards the caravan park.

“What, walking through town and not getting abused?Yeah, pretty much.”He paused, wondering about the implications of the comment.“But I still think that…”

“It’s okay,”she reassured him,“I haven’t changed my mind.”

“I get that it’s a big deal and…”

“Romeo.”She stopped as they reached the house and held his hand tightly.“All that matters to me right now is being with you.”

“You sure?”he asked cautiously.

“I’m sure.”She kissed him lightly on the lips, the kiss deepening and continuing as they staggered into the house…and stopped in the front room as they realised there were two figures in the kitchen.Miles’ gaze was fixed firmly on them, not even distracted by the mug of tea he was sipping from.Nicole was buttering a slice of bread, her gaze lowered, occasionally glancing in their direction but refusing to make eye contact. “Hi there,”Ruby greeted them awkwardly,“We, um, didn’t see you there.”

“I could see your attention was elsewhere,”Miles agreed.

Romeo coughed.“We’re just gonna…”

“Carry on upstairs and pretend you didn’t have this conversation?Good idea.”

Nicole waited until the couple had gone before looking at Miles.“Are you going to say anything to them?”

“You mean like ‘Be safe’?”

“I mean like not doing that here!What if I’d had Indi round?”

“Well, then it would have been awkward and it would have been tough on her and it would have been something she’d have to get used to.”Miles sighed.“Look, Romeo lives here and Ruby’s his girlfriend and I can’t tell them they’re not welcome here or put a ban on…certain activities.”He took a long sip of his tea. “How is Indigo?”

Nicole’s expression was bemused.“She’s gone to the cinema with Xavier.”

Miles raised an eyebrow.“Love to be a fly on the wall of that one.”

“You cannot be serious,”April complained as she and Dexter arrived back at the farmhouse.

“New Orleans is the cultural capital of the world,”Dexter insisted.

“How can it not be Paris?It’s the most iconographic city in…anywhere!”

“But New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz.An artform I know nothing about but I’ve heard it’s really good.”He headed into the lounge and stopped in his tracks.

April followed him in and stopped as well.Xavier and Indigo were on the couch, kissing.Seriously kissing. She seemed to be pushing him back into the couch and somewhere along the way they’d both lost their tops, which were on the floor in front of them.“Oh boy,”April sighed.

The pair quickly sprang apart, embarrassed looks on their faces, Indi adjusting her bra slightly to make sure she was showing as little as possible.“We weren’t expecting you back so soon,”she managed.

“Information I am very relieved to hear,”Dexter observed.

“I think I’m gonna go now,”April decided.

“Er, I’ll walk you,”Xavier offered.

April looked at him undecided for a moment.“Fine.So long as you put some clothes on.”

Indigo, who was in the process of replacing her own top, handed Xavier his.He glanced at April and Dexter as he pulled it on.“Can we just have a moment to..?”

“Oh, you want to be embarassed in private?”Dexter asked,“Okay.”He and April headed out into the hall.

Xavier looked at Indigo.“Okay, awkward endings aside, I had a really good time today.And I wouldn’t mind doing it again some time.”He noticed the slightly scared look on her face.“I mean us two hanging out! I don’t necessarily mean anything else, not that there was anything wrong with that…”He realised he was in a hole and decided to stop digging.“Are we all right?”

Indigo sighed.“Can we do this another time?”

“Okay.”Xavier headed out into the hallway.“We can go now,”he told April.She gave Dexter a quick kiss and followed him out.

Dexter waited until they were gone before heading back into the lounge.He gesticulated towards the door. “What was that?!”

“Well, I’d have thought you’d be used to it by now…”

“Coming home and finding you making out with one of my friends?!Maybe I missed the memo but that’s a new one!”

“It’s no big deal.We went to a movie, we came back here and then we…started kissing.”

“And somewhere along the way half your clothes fell off?!”Dexter felt as though he was running out of exclamation marks.

Indi rolled her eyes.“Do you have to act like Dad?”

Dexter sat down.“Okay, yeah, that’s a scary thought.Although unless he’s hiding in the next room, which is even scarier, I guess I am the man of the house for the next few minutes.”

Indi sighed.“I dunno.Part of me’s thinking Xavier’s a nice guy and kind of cute and a not too shabby kissers, another part of me’s thinking he’s my little brother’s school friend, another part of me’s thinking it’s way too soon after Romeo and I shouldn’t even think about going there with anyone…What do you think?”

Dexter got to his feet and put an arm round her.“I think that you should do whatever makes you happy.”

Indigo smiled at him and nodded.“Although, I’m taking advice from you, which probably means I’m not thinking straight.”

“There is that as well.”

Many thanks for your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 26

It wasn’t until Xavier got out of the water that he realised Indi was sitting by his towel.He traipsed up the beach towards her, grabbing the towel to dry himself.“Haven’t seen you for a few days,”he commented.

Indi nodded.“I’ve been kinda busy at the farm.”

Xavier began putting his clothes back on, a little self consciously.“Do we need to talk about…the way we left things and what happened before we did?”

“Well, that is pretty much why I’ve been hanging out with your towel.”

Xavier sat down next to her.“So, what are you thinking?”

“I dunno.I guess we’re just two people that have been hurt looking for comfort.And it’s pretty lucky that Dex and April came home when they did or we’d have got carried away and done something we regretted.”

“Yeah,”Xavier agreed, forcing a smile even though his heart was sinking,“Guess we should be glad about that.”

“So”-she held out a hand-“we friends again?”

“Course.”He grasped it briefly, before clambering to his feet and heading back up the beach.Then he stopped, turned round and sat down next to her again.“Actually…I may ruin our friendship by saying this but I don’t care.I’m not glad and I don’t regret it.Because I like you.I don’t know when it started, maybe it’s two lonely people like you say, maybe it’s because you keep kissing me and I kind of like it, but I like you.”

Indi hesitated a moment and then kissed him again, her lips crushing down on his, feeling the warmth of his touch.When she stopped, she gave a rueful grin.“Okay, so that’s all the justification I’ve spent the past two years working on out the window.”

Xavier grinned back at her.“So, what do we do now?”

Indi took a deep breath.“I think we should go back to my place.”

Xavier looked at her carefully, wondering if she was suggesting what he thought she was.“Are you sure?”

“No.But it’s a long way so hopefully we’ll have made our minds up by the time we get there.”She kissed him lightly then took his hand.They headed up the beach together.

Neither of them had noticed Romeo and Ruby standing on the headland, watching them, also grasping each other’s hands.“You okay with that?”Ruby asked.

“Yeah,”Romeo replied with a smile,“Yeah, I am actually.”

“Are you sure?I mean, you and Indi were together a long time, it must feel a bit weird seeing her with someone else.”

“Well, would you be bothered if you saw Casey with someone else?”

Ruby sighed.“No.In a way, I guess I hope he does find someone.He didn’t deserve to get hurt like that.I hope he’s happy.”

Romeo nodded.“And I hope Indi’s happy.”He gripped Ruby’s hand tighter and smiled at her.“Like we are.”

“And I guess if they are happy, people might go easy on us for a bit.”She took a deep breath.“I’ve sent my application off.”

“Me too,”Romeo confirmed,“Guess now we have to wait and see if we hear back.”

“And if we get the answer we want…then we’ll have to start telling people.”

Xavier was lying in Indi’s bed, staring up at the ceiling, his expression suggesting he couldn’t quite believe where he was and what had just happened.Indi lay alongside him, propped up on one elbow, looking down at him.Eventually, he shifted his gaze to look at her.“So…does this mean we’re going out?”

Indi gave an embarrassed laugh.“Well, considering what we just did, I hope so.I’m not really into one-offs.”

“Cool,”Xavier agreed.But there was a slight lack of enthusiasm in his voice.

Indi raised an eyebrow.“What, suddenly you’re the one with doubts?”

“No, it’s just…if this were a movie, then I’d probably tell you I love you now and you’d say you loved me too and we’d start making out while romantic music played in the background and a big caption saying ‘The End’ would come up.But…things got serious with Amy quickly, I mean really serious, and I don’t want to make that mistake again.So…I dunno, I don’t know if I can give you what you want.”

“Well, I don’t really know what I want.All I know is you’re probably the nicest guy I’ve ever slept with and I think I like you and I want to keep seeing you.”

Xavier relaxed a bit.“I want to keep seeing you too.”

“And if it gets serious further down the line, that’s great and if it doesn’t, then that’s fine.”She let herself drop down beside him, cuddling up to him slightly as he turned over to face her.“But for now, this is okay, isn’t it?”

“Definitely okay,”he agreed.

They started kissing…and then started doing more than kissing.And it almost felt like there was romantic music playing in the background.

“Are you sure it’s safe to come back here?”April asked as she and Dexter stepped over the front porch.

“Yep,”Dexter confirmed,“Indi and I sorted out a rota.I can bring people back here Sunday, Tuesday and Friday, she’s got the house on Saturday, Monday and Thursday and we have alternate Wednesdays.”

April stared at his expression hard.“You’re joking.”His expression didn’t change.“Aren’t you?”

It was at that moment that Xavier and Indi came out of her bedroom, nudging each other and giggling. They stopped when they saw the newcomers.“Ah, how long have you been here?”Indi asked.

“Not long,”Dexter replied.

“Ah, good.”

Dexter stared hard at her top.“I think you’ve got a few buttons in the wrong place.”

As Indi hastily corrected the mistakes, Xavier coughed.“I, er, think I’ll go now.”

“Yeah, I’ll come with you,”Indi agreed, grabbing his hand as they hurried out.

April looked after them for a second before turning to Dexter.“Was that a bit weird?”

Dexter blinked.“What?”Then his expression cleared.“Oh, you mean the fact that my sister was probably just having sex with your ex-boyfriend?Yeah, a bit.”He began rummaging in the magazine rack.

April stared at him.“But you’re okay with it?”

Dexter sighed and looked at her.“Don’t tell her I said this, but I’m happy if she’s happy.And she looked pretty happy.”

April’s mouth twisted into a reluctant smile.“Yeah,”she conceeded,“She did.”

Glad most people are onboard with Xavier and Indi, sorry to anyone who's not buying it, probably my fault.This is now the longest fiction I've written on here in terms of chapters, overtaking Second Love and Just the Once.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 27

Xavier and Indi continued kissing in the water for a few seconds longer before heading back up the beach to where April and Dexter were sat kissing.“Don’t you two ever do anything else?”Xavier quipped.

“You can talk,”April fired back.

“I’ve timed you and my sister playing tonsil hockey,”Dexter confirmed,“Current record stands at five minutes forty-six seconds without a break.”

“How about we change the subject?”Indi suggested.

“Yes.How did Dad feel when he learned about you two?”

“Well, he did that boggle-eyed glare thing for a bit,”Indi recalled,“Then he said at least it wasn’t Romeo.”

“He shook my hand,”Xavier recalled,“At least, I think that’s what he was doing, the broken bones made it hard to tell.And told me not to mess her about.”

“What about your mum?”asked April.

“Well, we were going to tell her,”Xavier replied,“and then she walked in on us in the living room-”

“-well, it was more like the kitchen counter,”Indi amended.

“-and after that she kind of guessed.”

“You weren’t..?”Dexter asked.

“We had a few clothes on,”Indi assured him.

“Although it’s lucky she didn’t wait another two minutes,”Xavier added,“Anyway, she said it was okay as long as I didn’t decide to get married again.”

“Well, I’m glad we’ve had this catch up,”Dexter noted,“It’s given me something to talk about in my next therapy session.”

“Anyone fancy ice cream?”Xavier asked.

“I’ll go with you,”April offered as they both got up.She waited until they were out of earshot from their partners before continuing the conversation.“Got to say, I’d never have picked you and Indigo together.”

“Me neither,”Xavier admitted,“But I really like her and we seem to be going great so far.And I never thought Dexter was your type either.”

“Why, because he’s not like you?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

“Well, we’re good.In fact, I think our group is now in perfect equilibrium.”

Xavier shook his head in bemusement.“You’ve been hanging around him way too long.”

“Are you getting a weird sense of déjà vu?”Romeo asked as he and Ruby approached her house.

“I can do this on my own if you like,”she suggested,“I mean, you’ve still got to tell Miles.”

Romeo shook his head.“We said we’d do this together and we will.”

Ruby gripped Romeo’s hand for support as they entered the house.“Mum!”she called out.

Charlie came hurrying through.“Ruby, what’s up?”

“We’ve got something to tell you.”

Charlie looked at her worriedly.“You’re not pregnant, are you?”

“No.”

“Or getting married?”

“Mum!”Ruby protested.She took a deep breath.“I’ve had my uni options back.I’ve been accepted into a music course.”She took out a letter and handed it to her mother.

Charlie smiled as she unfolded it.“Ruby, that’s great news!Why on earth were you worried..?”She stopped as she saw the header at the top of the letter.“UWA.Ruby, this uni’s in Perth.”

“Yeah,”Romeo confirmed,“I’ve got a transfer there as well.”

“We’re going to get a flat together there,”Ruby added.

Charlie was dumbfounded.“But…why?”

“I know things are settling down,”Romeo explained,“but people are never gonna forget how we got together, there’ll always be that resentment there.And I don’t want Indi to have to see us together every day, she deserves more than that.”

Ruby slipped her arm round Romeo.“This way we can be together.It’s a fresh start, what we need.”

“And this is what you want?”

Although it was Charlie that asked the question, Ruby looked at Romeo and smiled.“More than anything.” He smiled back and she turned to Charlie.“Can you…can you please be happy for us?”

Charlie forced a smile and placed a hand on Ruby’s shoulder, hoping she wouldn’t see the tears in her eyes.“I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, Mum.”

Well, my digital connection seems to have gone down in the heat so instead of watching Home and Away I got to write the last chapter of this.Many thanks for your comments, hope you like the ending.

CHAPTER 28

Romeo had brought his bags downstairs.Ruby’s were already in the car.They were travelling light, just two bags each, anything else they needed they could send for later.He entered the front room where Miles and Ruby were waiting and cast a look around.“Where’s Nicole?”

Miles looked slightly embarrassed.“She, ah, took George out for a walk.”

“We could catch a later flight,”Ruby suggested.

Romeo shook his head.“She knew when we were leaving.”He put his bags down and turned to Miles. “Well…I guess this is it.”

“I guess it is,”Miles agreed.

“And I guess I need to say thank you.It was a long time since I’d had anywhere that felt like a home until I came here but…this did.”

Miles waved a hand airily.“Ah, you brightened the place up.Sometimes you even made it overlit.”He gave Romeo a brief hug.“Be good.And if you can’t be good, be careful.”

Ruby hugged him as well.“Goodbye, Mr.Copeland.Or do I get to call you Miles now I’m not at school?”

“No, now you have to call me ‘my lord and master’.”He patted her on the shoulder.“Go on, get going, the pair of you.”

Xavier and Indi were sat on the beach.Xavier checked his watch.“They’ll be going about now.”

Indi looked at hers as well.“Guess so.”

“There’s still time to catch them if you want to say goodbye.”

“Why would I want to do that?”

Xavier shrugged.“I dunno, you and Romeo went out for a while, you might want to see him one last time.”

“Well, you went out with Ruby for a bit, do you want to go and say goodbye to her?”

Xavier shook his head.“No, no.Me and Ruby were over a long time ago.”

Indi nodded.“Just like me and Romeo are over.”She took his hand.“I think I’d rather be here.”

He hesitated and then kissed her, gently at first but slowly deepening, neither of them wanting to be anywhere else.

Romeo and Ruby had stopped by Ruby’s place and Charlie was in the middle of hugging the life out of her daughter on the lawn.“Phone me as soon as you get there, all right?”she said,“And let me know if you need anything, money or a new toaster or whatever.And there’s always a home for you here if you need one, okay?”

“I know, Mum.You can let me go now.”

Charlie reluctantly released her before turning to Romeo.“And you…you look after her, okay?Because if you don’t I’ll have every police station in the country on the lookout to nab you every time you run a red light.”

Romeo put his arm round Ruby’s shoulder.“I will, I promise.”

“Okay, now get out of here before I start crying!”

Ruby smiled and looked at Romeo.“Let’s go.”

“Wait!”shouted a voice.They turned to see Nicole running down the street towards them.She skidded to a half in front of them and bent double, struggling to get her breath back after her long run.

“Have you left George outside the shops or something?”Romeo asked.

Nicole shook her head.“Left him with Miles,”she managed to gasp as she continued struggling for breath. Romeo and Ruby waited until she was able to speak properly.Then she straightened up and looked at them. “I’m not saying I like what you’ve done or what you’ve done to Indi but…you’re my family and I love you. So I hope you’re both happy.”

They smiled at her.“Group hug,”Ruby suggested and the three of them put their arms round each other. Then, with a last look around, Romeo and Ruby got in the car.

Nicole and Charlie stood together watching them drive off.“Do you think they will be happy?”Nicole asked.

Charlie shrugged.“They’ve got as good a chance as anyone.”

You are now leaving Summer Bay.Romeo drove up to the sign and then braked, putting the handbrake on. He looked at Ruby.“You having any second thoughts?”

Ruby shrugged.“Second thoughts, third thoughts, fourth thoughts.What happens if we hate each other, what happens if we hate Perth, what happens if this all goes wrong and I’m stranded on the other side of the country.”

“We can always turn round and go back.”

“I think we’ve burnt most of our bridges here.Anyway…the other part of me thinks what if this does work out, what if we’re happy together, what if we’ve got a future together.I’d kinda like to find out.”

Romeo leaned over and kissed her, wishing he’d done so more often in the past.“I love you,”he told her.

“I love you too,”she replied.She nodded towards the road.“Now drive.”

Romeo put the car in gear and drove towards the future.

Comments

Archived