Where the Heart Lies

Guest Red Ranger 1

Sorry, I tried to comment last night but I fell asleep halfway through trying to :lol:

Not very flattering to Red :P

Sorry Red :(

Oh, you're forgiven.

Thanks everyone for your comments, quiet Sunday evening so here's another chapter for you, hope you like.

CHAPTER 11

Xavier and Amy paused outside her motel room.“Well, ah, I guess this is it,”Xavier remarked, somewhat redundantly.

Amy nodded.“Well, thanks for seeing me home.And thanks for the evening out.It was nice.”

“No problem.I mean, I get a staff discount there so it didn’t cost me much.There’s perks in dating a pizza delivery boy, huh?”

Amy kissed him lightly on the lips and smiled at him.She opened the door to her room.“Do you want to come in for a bit?”

Xavier nodded and followed her in.“So how are you enjoying Summer Bay?”

“It’s good,”she replied,“I’ve had a bit of a look around.”

“I guess it must get a bit lonely for you.I’m sure Indi and the others won’t mind you hanging out with them.I mean, you got on well with them while we were away, right?”

Amy gave him an understanding smile.“You don’t have to try and find me something to do.”

“Yeah but…you came here to spend time with me and we’ve hardly seen each other.I just…I worry that you’re going to end up bored out of your brain or something.”

“Xavier, I’m sure I can work out what to do when you’re not around.Just make sure that when you are around, it’s worth it, okay?”

Xavier smiled.“Okay.”

He took her hand and gently pulled her towards him.They kissed, their hands roaming aimlessly around each other’s bodies during the embrace.He felt her beginning to unfasten his shirt and caress his chest and pulled back slightly.“I thought…”

“Don’t think,”she replied, continuing to kiss him.

“Okay,”he agreed as they collapsed onto the bed, undressing each other, feeling the press of each other’s bodies as they slipped beneath the sheets.

Nicole had joined the group at the Walker house, complete with baby monitor linking her to the bedroom where she’d left her baby carrier.She and Indigo were sat at the table, completing their uni revision.

Romeo had been left alone in the front room, leafing through one of Indigo’s magazines.Normally he wouldn’t have been caught dead reading it, but when the only alternative was one of Dexter’s magazines it was actually preferable.

He put it down and headed over to the table.“You going to be long?”he asked.

Indigo raised her head slightly.“Um, just another two chapters.”

Romeo sighed.“I’ll just go outside for a bit.”

Nicole glanced after him as he left.“Are things all right between you two?”

Indigo looked up.“What do you mean?”

“Well, you’ve had a difficult last few months.I was just wondering if you were over that?”

Indigo thought for a moment.“Well…I guess things are still a bit difficult, with me at uni and him at school, but we get on okay when we are together.Yeah, I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.”She buried her head back in the book.

Nicole gave an unconvinced shrug.“Okay…”

Romeo headed out onto the veranda to find April and Dexter kissing on the bench.“Don’t mind me,”he sighed.

The pair disentangled themselves, embarrassed grins on their faces.“Are they still studying in there?”April asked.

“Yeah,”Romeo confirmed,“Just thought I’d have some fresh air for a bit.”

“So, do you think Xavier’s got lucky?”Dexter asked.He noticed the bemused looks they both gave him. “What?I’m aiming for laddish repartee.”He sighed.“Okay, it’s still a work in progress.”

“Guess we’ll find out in the morning,”Romeo decided.

“What, you think he’s going to give you a blow by blow description?”April asked.She thought for a moment.“Hey, do you two give a blow by blow description of what you get up to with me and Indi?”

“I’m going to say no to that one,”Dexter decided,“Anyway, weren’t you the one who was wondering about him and Amy earlier?”

April was silent at that.“I guess we’ll find out in the morning,”she decided.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big thanks for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 12

Xavier was having his early morning drink at the Diner when April and Indigo suddenly sat down at the table with him.He looked from one to the other, slightly nervous.“Is this some sort of intervention?”

“Just thought we’d catch up with an old friend,”Indigo told him.

“We’ve only just come back from holiday.”

“That was two weeks ago.”

“And a lot can happen since then,”April added.

Xavier sighed.“What’s all this about?”

April looked at Indigo for guidance but the older girl gestured for her to take the lead.She sighed.“We heard you went on a date with Amy last night.”

“Yeah, that’s right.”

“We were just wondering how it went.”

“Great, yeah.We had a meal, we chatted, we get on well, I walked her back to her room and we went in for a bit.”

There was silence for a moment.“And?”Indigo prompted.

“And we…”Xavier sighed.“Do I really have to finish that sentence?”

April’s eyes widened in realisation.“Oh!Um, that was fast, wasn’t it?”

“Not really, we’ve been going out three weeks.Okay, we haven’t been hanging out as much since we got back here but I’ve had school…”

“Have you ever thought about where this is going?”April interrupted.

Xavier looked at her.“What do you mean?”

“Okay, don’t bite my head off,”Indigo ventured,“But…playing devil’s advocate.Amy’s here, you’re here, you’re getting on well, that’s great.But, well, what are her plans?Is she going to want to go home at some point?And what about uni, next year?Are you going to go somewhere together, is she going to stick around here..?”

“Woah, hold on!”Xavier held up his hands.“So we haven’t got the next fifty years planned out.What are you saying?”

April looked at Indigo to speak.Indigo sighed.“We just thought that…maybe, just putting the idea out there…you’re getting a bit serious a bit fast and it might all be over in a few weeks.”

Ruby was waiting on the beach as Casey came out of the water.“You busy this morning?”she asked him.

Casey looked suddenly uncomfortable.“Why?”

“Just thought we might hang out.”

Casey nodded.“Well…it’s nothing I can’t cancel.”

“What?”

There was an embarrassed look in his eyes.“I was gonna do revision.”

Ruby gave him an affectionate smile.“Look at you, being the model student.”

“Well…I want to get good marks, you know.Otherwise I’ll end up sitting on a beach and living off the dole all my life.But, hey, if you want to hang out…”

“No, I don’t wanna get the blame for you ending up as a beach bum.”She kissed him on the cheek.“See you later.”

She watched him go, then she turned round…and saw Romeo coming up the beach.“Did Casey say how the water is?”he asked.

Ruby shook her head.“No, we didn’t talk about it.”The rational and sensible part of her brain told her to get out of there, so she started heading in the direction away from him.

“Hey, Rube!”Romeo called, forcing her to stop and turn.He walked over to her.“We don’t have to stay away from each other, do we?”

She looked him in the eye.“Yes.We do.”

“Okay, I know I said we should steer clear of each other before…”

“Do you not get how hard it is for me to be around you?”She was aware that she was saying things she shouldn’t but it had been building up inside her for so long, now she’d started she couldn’t stop.“All these feelings I’ve got for you, feelings I’ve been trying to ignore.Every time I look at you, it just reminds me how much I want to…”She stopped, reminding herself of the decision she’d made.“But I know you don’t want me.So…can you please just leave me alone?”

She turned and walked up the beach again.He made no attempt to stop her.

“Xavier!”Amy smiled warmly at him upon opening the door and ushered him into her motel room.She kissed him lightly on the lips but then she sensed his mood and her smile faltered.“What’s the matter?”

Xavier wasn’t sure how to broach the subject.He had a feeling they’d end up in an argument whatever happened.He sat down on the bed.“Okay, don’t take this the wrong way but I was talking to April and Indi earlier.”

Amy looked down at him.“What about?”

“Well…about us, I guess.It just made me think a bit.I mean, what are your plans?”

Amy looked at him, confused.“What do you mean?”

“I mean…how long are you planning on stopping here for?Don’t get me wrong, I like spending time with you, but if you’re just going to go off in a few weeks, then we’d best not let this get too serious.I mean, have you told your parents about me?”

“Of course I have.I told them I like you and they understand.Xav, I want this to get serious.”

“Well, yeah, okay, good.Just as long as you’re sure…”

“Xav, what do I have to do to convince you?Do I have to marry you?”

Xavier laughed, but something in Amy’s eyes, a sudden seriousness, caused him to stop.Suddenly it didn’t seem so funny.She took his hands and knelt down in front of him.

“Xavier…will you marry me?”

Thank you, Zetti, lozlovesh&a, Miranda and Barbara!Hope you enjoy this one...

CHAPTER 13

The start of Gina’s day was not going how she’d expected it.She stared at Xavier and Amy hard.“You’re what?”

“We’re getting married!”Xavier repeated, a nervous grin plastered across his face.He grasped Amy’s hand, holding it up to emphasise the point.

Gina wasn’t quite sure what to say, so she was grateful when John weighed in.“It’s a bit sudden, isn’t it?” he asked.

“I guess when you meet the right person you just know,”Amy replied.

John nodded.“Well, I guess there’s nothing wrong with getting engaged, I mean, you’ve got plenty of time to get everything sorted.”

“We’re getting married in six weeks,”Xavier clarified.

“You’re what?”Gina found herself asking again.

Amy nodded.“I rang up the registry office and got us a slot.”

“You are not,”Gina said firmly.

Xavier suddenly had a pained expression.“Mum…”

“No, Xavier.You’re out all night, you don’t tell me where you are and then you come home and tell me you’re getting married to a girl you’ve known for a few weeks?Next month?It’s not going to happen.”

“Mum, we’re telling you, not asking your permission.I’m eighteen and I’m getting married to Amy in six weeks and there’s nothing you can do to stop that.”He stormed out, taking Amy with him.

Gina turned and looked at John.“Can you believe that?”

“I’m having a bit of trouble getting my head around it, I admit.Xavier did have a point though.”

“Did he?What was it?”

“That he’s eighteen.And if he wants to get married to some girl he’s only known three weeks, there’s not a lot we can do to stop him.”

Ruby was making her way across the school courtyard when someone grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a small alleyway, out of sight of most of their schoolmates.She pulled her arm free and glared at him.“Romeo!What are you doing?”

“We need to talk.”

She shook her head.“No, we don’t.”She made to walk away but he stopped her.

“After that outburst yesterday?Yeah, we do.”

“What else is there to say?”

“Not here.”Romeo hesitated.“I’ve booked us a room.At the Sands.”He seemed to expect an answer but she found herself unable to think of one.“This afternoon, after school.Half past four.Will you meet me there?”

Ruby managed a nod.It was enough to make Romeo leave.

She stared after him as he walked away from her.She checked in her bag, making sure she had her bank card with her, then checked her watch.She had enough money and just enough time to go to the shops in Yabbee Creek and back…

It could be the biggest mistake of her life.But she knew if she didn’t do it, she’d always be wondering.

“Xavier!”

Xavier almost ignored his mother’s call.Having to deal with her disapproval when he was at home was bad enough without having to deal with it at school.Although technically, school hours were over and he was leaving.He sighed and turned to her.“What?”

Gina’s expression surprised him.He’d never seen her look so contrite.“I owe you an apology.”

The comment wrongfooted him.“You do?”

“Yes.I should never have told you you couldn’t marry Amy.You’re right, you’re an adult now, it’s your choice.”She took a deep breath.“I can’t say I understand it.But I trust that you’re capable of making the right decision.”

“Yeah.Thanks, Mum.”

Gina smiled and walked away.

Xavier felt more confused than ever.In truth, he’d been pretty shocked himself when Amy had proposed to him.He hadn’t expected anyone to do that, certainly not until he was older.But he liked her and he wasn’t planning to break up with her so…why not marry her?

He had a nagging feeling, however, that it wasn’t as simple as that.

As Romeo approached the Sands, he was aware that what he was doing was probably a bad idea and that the most sensible thing for him to do was to turn around and walk away.That was what the sensible, rational part of his mind was telling him.That he was in a good relationship and should just forget about what Ruby had said.But the less sensible, less rational part of his mind was having a hard time staying away from her.

The receptionist looked up as he approached the desk.“Yes, sir?”

“I have a room booked.”

“Can you tell me the name, sir?”

“Smith.”

She gave him a knowing look.“Of course, sir.”

Romeo blinked.“No, really, it is.Romeo Smith.Well, it’s really Todd Smith but everyone calls me…Look, I’ve got some ID here...”

“That won’t be necessary, sir.”She looked at her monitor.“Your guest has already arrived, Mr.Smith.She’s waiting for you in Room 406.”

Romeo reached the door of Room 406, pushed it open and went inside.

Ruby was lying on the bed, facing him, her head resting on one arm, the other arm draped alongside her body.She was wearing a black silk negligee that clung to her body, showing off her figure, cut short enough to show off most of her legs.

Ruby felt suddenly nervous, wondering if she’d misread the situation.“You, ah, wanted to talk?”she asked.

Romeo didn’t reply.Instead, slowly, silently, he got undressed.He climbed onto the bed with her and began to kiss her.They carressed each other’s bodies passionately as he rolled on top of her, touching her underneath the negligee, their bodies joining as one and moving rhythmically together, doing all the communicating that either of them needed for the moment.

Another one I had to rescue from Page 2!Thanks for all the comments.

And the receptionist querying his name Smith :lol:

LOVE that whole “Romeo Smith” thing with the hotel employee

That was just one of those brilliant coincidences that struck me as I was planning out the scene. You've hired a hotel room for what's probably clandestine sex...and you say your name's Smith?! Glad you liked it.

Hope everyone likes this one.

CHAPTER 14

Romeo and Ruby lay on their sides, facing each other, about half a foot apart.“So…are we having an affair?”Ruby asked.

Romeo thought about this.“Don’t you have to be married to have an affair?”

“I don’t know.We seem to be doing a pretty good job.”

Romeo sighed.“I love Indi,”he said at last,“She’s smart, she’s fun, she gave me a second chance when most people wouldn’t.She…she should be everything I want.And sometimes she is. But…us, this thing between us…every time I see you, I just want to touch you, to kiss you.”He stroked her hair gently and she smiled at him.“And I don’t think I can stay away from you.”

“I love you,”Ruby said quietly.She saw the surprise in his eyes.“I mean, don’t get me wrong, I hated you for a long time, after what happened between us.But, once I stopped hating you, I realised that these feelings I had for you, they’re still here.”

“What about Casey?”

Ruby rolled over onto her back, breaking eye contact with him, staring up into space.“I love him too, I guess,”she admitted,“It’s different.When I’m with him, I feel safe and loved, like I know he wouldn’t hurt me.He’s sweet and kind and he’s been really good to me.But you…I get sort of butterflies in my stomach when you’re around, I lie awake at night thinking about you, I look forward to the next time I’m going to see you…and I hope you’re not getting too big headed with all this.”

Romeo took her hand in his.“Sounds like we’re going to keep doing this then.”

“Is that wise?”

“Probably not.But do you want to stop?”

Ruby looked him in the eye and slowly shook her head.

He leant over her, where she was lying, and kissed her.The kiss deepened and he clambered on top of her as they caressed each other, lifting the negligee up over her head so they were both naked, exploring each other’s bodies, the decision to continue made.

Indigo was just getting herself some juice from the fridge when Dexter, April and Casey came hurrying in through the front door.“What is this, a convention?”she asked them.

“Is Ruby here?”asked Casey,“I lost track of her after school.”

“No, what’s this all about?”

“Brace yourself for the shock news of the decade,”Dexter advised her.

“Xavier’s getting married,”April explained.

Indigo gaped in astonishment for a moment.“Who to?”

“Amy.”

“Getting married as in…they say they’re engaged but he can’t afford a ring and they haven’t set a date yet?”

“Getting married as in set the date for six weeks’ time.”April thought for a moment.“I don’t think he could afford a ring though.”

“Well, what are we going to do?”

“Plan the bucks night?”Casey suggested.

“An excellent suggestion,”Dexter agreed,“A chance to indulge in an ancient male bonding ritual dating back to the pagan rites of fertility.Or possibly made up as an excuse to get drunk by Dad’s generation.”

“Can you be serious?”Indigo asked.

“No,”Dexter replied,“We’re guys.We don’t do serious.If one of our friends is having a midlife crisis a couple of decades early, our response is to get drunk, watch footie and under no circumstances discuss our feelings.”He looked at Casey, suddenly uncertain.“Did I get that right?”

“Sounds about right, yeah,”Casey confirmed.

“Well, you’re going to have to talk about your feelings,”Indigo told them,“Because Xavier’s doing something stupid and you’re his friends.”

Dexter looked at April pleadingly but she just shrugged.“I’m with your sister on this one.”

“Look, we get what you’re saying,”Casey agreed,“But do you really think Xavier’s going to change his mind just because we sit him down with a cup of tea and say ‘Are you sure marrying a girl you’ve only known a few weeks is a good idea?’”

Indigo and April looked at each other.Neither could think of a suitable answer.

“Guess we’re back to planning the bucks night then,”Dexter observed.

Thank you, loz, Miranda and Carina!Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 15

Xavier and Amy were in her motel room, pouring over a set of papers scattered on the table.“You’ve invited everyone you want from your side?”Amy asked.

Xavier shrugged.“I spoke to Uncle Tony but he and Rachel can’t really get time off work.Mum and John will be there though.”

“Is your mum still cross about this?”

“She’ll be fine, she knows this is what I want.What about you?Is anyone coming from the city?”

“Mum and Dad will be there.”

“What about anyone else, friends..?”

Amy shook her head.“No, there’s no-one I want there.”

“Well, Romeo and Indi have agreed to be witnesses so we’re covered for that.”

“What about everything else?”Amy looked through the papers.“What about flowers, have we booked flowers?”

“Mum’s found someone.And I’ve sent my measurements to the suit place, Romeo’s too.So relax, okay?” He massaged her shoulders gently.“Everything’s in hand.”

Amy seemed to relax a moment then another thought occurred to her.“What about cars?Do you know how you’re going to get there?”

“Amy, we’ve got three weeks to get all this sorted.”

“But it’s important, Xavier!”she snapped,“Nothing can go wrong.”

Xavier looked stunned at the sudden passion and took a moment to gather his thoughts.“You’re right,”he said at last,“I’m sorry.This is important.”

Amy shook her head.“No, I’m sorry.I shouldn’t have snapped at you.You must be wondering why you want to marry me.”

He smiled at her.“It’ll take more than a few pre-wedding nerves to put me off you, okay?”He kissed her on the lips and felt her respond to it, kissing him back.He groped for the buttons on her blouse and began to unfasten them.

Amy pulled away.“Xavier!”

“Sorry.”He gave her a puppy dog look.“I guess I just got carried away.”

“I know we’ve done it before but now we’re getting married I want to wait.”

“Okay, okay, I know and I agreed.”He rested his chin on her shoulder.“Guess I’ll just have to resist you until our wedding night.”

She gave him a brief smile before turning her attention back to the papers.“Let’s get this sorted.”

Ruby heard the cautious knock on the back door and headed through to the kitchen.Romeo was hovering in the doorway.“Is anyone else here?”

She shook her head.“Just me.”

“Good.”He stepped into the house and kissed her passionately.He pushed her back against the fridge and she felt his body pressed up against hers, feelings of arousal coursing through her.

The kiss broke and she looked up at him, feeling butterflies in her stomach.“Hello,”he said as an afterthought.

She smiled.“Hello.”

She took him by the hand and led him into the lounge, sitting him down on the sofa and kissing him softly.“Are you sure we’re not going to get interrupted?”he asked.It was a question they’d had to ask a lot the past few weeks, since that afternoon at the hotel.Since then it had been the two of them meeting up in secret, grabbing an hour or two together when they were certain they weren’t going to be disturbed.

Ruby nodded.“Charlie and Leah have gone to see a film.”

“How’d you get out of going with them?”

Ruby gave a slight laugh.“Well, I didn’t tell them I’d arranged to have sex with a guy who isn’t my boyfriend.I just told them I needed to do revision.”

“That’s good.I don’t want to be on your mum’s bad side again, that’s a pretty scary place to be.”

“So, what’s going on in the real world?Xavier still going ahead with the wedding?”

Romeo nodded.“Yeah.It’s weird but I guess it’s what he wants.You know he’s asked me to be best man?”

Ruby grinned.“Maybe I can get Amy to make me bridesmaid.Then it’d be kind of traditional for you to sleep with me.”

Romeo paused.“Actually, Indi’s the other witness.”He saw Ruby move away from him slightly and sighed.“I just killed the mood, didn’t I?”

Ruby shook her head.“No, no, we both know what the deal is.”

He stroked her hair gently.“If this is too difficult for you, if you want to stop…”

“I don’t.”She kissed him softly then she swung herself round to sit astride him in his lap.She started kissing him, whilst undoing the buttons of his shirt.

He carressed her back, getting a firm grip on her, then stood up.She wrapped her legs around him, getting a firm purchase, both of them continuing kissing as he carried her into her bedroom.

Great update Red, quite raunchy, steady on there young man :P

Well, I did warn you this one could be quite racy...

Thank you for all your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 16

Ruby hadn’t had any real purpose in going to see Nicole.She’d just fancied a catch up.She headed through the open door and was about to announce her presence when the voices from the kitchen stopped her in her tracks.

“So come on,”Nicole was saying,“what’s eating you?”

There was a noticeable pause before Indigo answered.“It’s nothing.”

“Well, the look on your face says it isn’t nothing.”

“It’ll sound silly if I say it.”Indigo obviously realised, as Ruby did, that Nicole wasn’t going to give up. “It’s me and Romeo,”she admitted,“We…we haven’t slept together in a while.”

“How long a while?”Nicole asked.

“About a month.”

Nicole seemed to consider this.“Okay, that is a while.Is there a reason for it?”

“None that I know.I mean, I’ve dropped hints a couple of times.And I’ve come right out and suggested it a couple of times.But he always seems to avoid the subject somehow.I dunno, maybe he doesn’t find me attractive anymore or something.”

“You?Impossible.”Nicole gave a reassuring smile.“He’s still with you, isn’t he?You’re still doing…other coupley stuff?”

“Well, yeah, we are doing that,”Indigo conceeded.

Ruby was finding the conversation increasingly uncomfortable so took that moment to step into view. “Hey, girls, what’s up?”

“Nothing,”Indigo replied hastily.

“We were just talking about uni,”Nicole explained,“Nothing exciting.”

Ruby nodded, accepting the explanation, but her mind was racing.She knew, without even having to think about it, that it was a month, almost to the day, since she and Romeo had started sleeping together, since that time at the Sands.She’d assumed he and Indigo were carrying on as normal, or as normal as possible when you’ve got a second secret relationship on the go.But now…now she knew she needed to talk to him.

Xavier wasn’t quite sure how he’d ended up in a bar with Dexter sat on one side of him and Casey sat on the other side.He had a vague memory of being dragged from his home without even being allowed to change his clothes, propelled into a seat at the surf club and having a beer put in front of him and suspected that he’d just gone with the flow.“Remind me what we’re doing here,”he told them.

Dexter smiled.“Just think of it as your pre-bucks party…party.”

“Right.And how does that go?”

“We go to a bar, we buy drinks and when we’re drunk enough and brave enough, we have a talk.”

“A talk about what?”

“You,”Casey suggested,“Amy.You and Amy.”

Xavier took this in.“Why?”

“We are simply demonstrating the masculine affection that we feel for a fellow brother,”Dexter told him.

“April kept nagging us,”Casey modified.

Dexter frowned.“That too.”

Xavier sighed.“Okay, what do you want to know?”

Casey took a deep breath.“Well, I think I’ve drunk enough to ask…what are you doing, man?”

“Having a drink with you?”

“Getting married!In two weeks!”

“Ten days,”Dexter amended,“Which is about how long you’d known your intended when she asked you.”

“Look, if you’re not going to be supportive,”Xavier complained.

“We are being supportive,”Casey assured him,“If this is what you really want, then we’re behind you all the way.”

“How can I prove it to you?”

“Well, I did come up with a detailed questionnaire on the subject,”Dexter began.

“I made him throw it away,”Casey finished,“I guess the important thing is…do you know what this marriage thing is about?You’re going to be living with this girl, you’re going to be growing old together, having kids together, this is it for life.Okay, it wasn’t for my dad…”

“Or mine,”Xavier pointed out.

“Mine’s still around,”Dexter interjected,“Although only because Mum isn’t…”

“…but that’s kind of the point,”Casey continued,“Do you really want to end up like our old man… mans…men…you know what I mean, running out on the family three kids down the line?”

“I won’t,”Xavier promised,“I’m not gonna do that to my family.”

“And is Amy going to be part of your family?”

Xavier’s reply was a bit more hesitant.“Yes.”

“Okay.”Casey gestured to Xavier’s pint.“Drink that and Dexter will get you another.”

Amy was sat in the front room of the Walker farm as Indigo piled her hair up on top of her head.She showed Amy her reflection in the mirror.“What about this?”

“Um, yeah, not bad,”Amy agreed,“But you don’t need to do this, it’s only a registry office wedding.”

“It’s still going to be special though, isn’t it?You and Xavier getting married?”

“Yeah, of course.”Amy managed a smile.“Thanks.”

“No problems,”April assured her,“I mean, you’re getting married to one of our friends, after all.We just thought we should…”She tailed off.

“What?”Amy asked.

“Get to know you,”Indigo supplied.

April nodded.“Yeah.”

“I’m not really that interesting,”Amy insisted.

“Come on,”Indigo persisted,“I mean, what about your family?”

“Nothing special.Dad’s an accountant, Mum’s a college lecturer.I’m going to be studying law next year, I just had a few things I wanted to do first.”

“What, like falling in love and getting married?”Indi asked with a smile.

Amy laughed.“No, course not.Xavier’s just a bonus.”

“You are in love with him, aren’t you?”April asked anxiously,“I mean, this is serious.”

Amy looked at her.“I promise I am absolutely serious about marrying him.”

Ruby found herself approaching the caravan park house cautiously for the second time that day.She paused in the doorway, catching sight of Romeo on the sofa.“Knock knock?”she called.

He turned and smiled.“Hey, Rube.”

“Are we alone?”she asked as she made her way over and sat down beside him.

“Yeah, Nicole’s studying late at uni and Miles and Mr.Stewart have gone to the Diner.”

Ruby nodded.“And Casey’s busy with this intervention for Xavier and Indi’s ambushing Amy.They asked me to come along too but I said it was best not to crowd her.”

“Yeah, I told Casey and Dex that I needed to keep a clear head for the first exam.”

Ruby hesitated, unsure how to broach the subject she’d gone there to discuss.“Romeo…I was here earlier and I heard Indi and Nicole talking and she said…she said that you two hadn’t slept together since…well, since we started this.”

“Yeah, that’s right.”Romeo seemed surprised she was questioning it.

“Why?”

“Well, you know, I’m sleeping with you.”He grinned.“It’s not like you’re sleeping with Casey, is it?”

“Yes.”Ruby saw the hurt and disappointment in his eyes and wondered if she’d been a bit too blunt. “Come on, Romeo, what did you expect?”

“I thought…”Romeo didn’t seem able to finish the comment.

“You thought you were enough for me?”Ruby asked gently.In a way, she found it flattering.But reality set in straightaway.“It’s not like you’re going to leave Indi for me, is it?”He was silent and she realised she had to continue the conversation.“This thing between us, don’t get me wrong, I like it, I don’t want it to end but…I guess one day it’s going to have to, unless we’re still gonna be sneaking around when we’re about forty.I’m going to have to stick with Casey and you’re going to have to stick with Indi.”

Romeo looked sombre.“I guess…I guess I didn’t think.”

“I’d better go.”Ruby kissed him on the lips and felt him hold her there for a moment, letting the contact linger.“I’ll see you soon.”She grasped his hand, not wanting to let go, but in the end she released it and walked out, not looking back.

Big thank you to everyone who's commented on this.Hope you like this chapter.

CHAPTER 17

Romeo knocked uncertainly on the door to the Walker farm.“Hello?”he called out.There was no answer but, since the door was open and unlocked, he decided to head inside.

Seeing no-one about in the lounge and kitchen, he made for Indigo’s room.He found her sprawled in front of her bed, head buried in a university text.She suddenly noticed him and turned round.“Oh, hi!Did we have plans to meet?”

“No, I just thought I’d surprise you.”Romeo had to admit it had been something of an impromptu decision but, since his chat with Ruby the previous night, he’d felt he had to come round.

“Right, well, I’m in the middle of revising at the moment…”

“Have you got time for a break?”

She hesitated for a moment then slammed the book shut and smiled.“Definitely.”She sat back on her haunches.“So what were you planning on doing?”

He crouched down in front of her and kissed her.“Okay,”she agreed,“I’m definitely up for a bit of that.” They kissed again and Romeo let the kiss deepen before he began to unbutton her blouse.She pulled away slightly, looking surprised but by no means unhappy.“You’re sure?”she asked.

He nodded.“Sure.”

She smiled, needing no further encouragement, and kissed him back.They clambered up onto the bed, undressing each other as they did so.

Xavier walked slowly round Amy, who had turned up at his place, trying to notice something different.“So, that’s the hair you’re going for?”he asked.

“No.This is my normal hair style.”

“Oh.Yeah, I thought it looked familiar.”

“Your friends were a help though.I think I know what I’m going to do.”

“Right.Good.”Xavier thought for a moment before asking,“They didn’t try to…interrogate you or anything, did they?”

Amy looked bemused.“Like..?”

“Like…well, like Casey and Dexter did to me.Asking if I was sure about going through with the wedding.”

“They…were a bit concerned, yeah.”Amy gave him a reassuring smile.“You’ve got good friends, Xav. They care about you.But this is what we both want, yeah?”

Xavier smiled in relief.“Yeah.Actually, I’ve got my first exam tomorrow but…do you fancy doing something afterwards?”

Amy looked suddenly awkward.“I’m not going to be here tomorrow night, I’m going to the city to see my parents.But I can see you first thing, wish you luck?”

Xavier fought down the feelings of disappointment.“Yeah,”he agreed,“That’ll be fine.”

Romeo was lying in bed with Indigo and found himself wishing he was almost anywhere else.He’d just had sex with his beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted girlfriend.And, as euphoric as it had been, it had felt… awkward, clumsy, as if their bodies weren’t used to each other.Had it always been like that between them? The fact that she looked so smiling and happy just made it worse.

“I was beginning to think you’d gone off me,”she remarked with a grin.

Romeo forced himself to return the smile.“How could I do that?”

“I guess it’s a lesson.We’ve got to learn not to take each over for granted.”

“Do you think that’s what we’ve been doing?”

“Well, I think we need more alone time.Remind ourselves of why we’re both in this.”

“Yeah, you’re right.Couples do need to do that.”

“Of course”-she moved closer to him-“you’re doing pretty all right at the moment.”

He kissed her, holding her body close to his, reminding himself that he loved her.That should make everything simple.Somehow it didn’t.

It was the following morning that Casey, Ruby, April and Dexter found themselves in the school yard, waiting to be called in for their exam.“Has anyone seen Romeo?”Ruby asked.

“I think he’s gone in already,”Casey replied,“Probably doing last minute cramming.”

“What about Xavier?”April asked,“He’s cutting it a bit fine.”

“Ahm, actually, I think he’s on time,”Dexter noted,“He’s just clearing up the last few details.”He nodded towards the gate where Xavier was kissing Amy goodbye.A lot.

“Are those two still together then?”asked Ruby.

“Well, we gave them the big interrogation and it didn’t put them off,”Casey observed.

“I suppose there is a vague possibility that some girl would want to marry Xavier,”Dexter remarked.

“I think you’re right,”April agreed,“We’ve spoken to them both and they seemed to measure up so…I guess we should just leave them to it.”

“No more male bonding drinking sessions then?”asked Casey.

“No.”

“Good.I don’t think Dexter could stand more of it.”

April nodded.“From now on, we support their decision.”

Ruby wasn’t sure how she found herself leaving the school alone after the exam but suddenly she felt a hand grasp her arm and pull her round a corner.She glared at Romeo in annoyance.“What are you doing?”

“I need to talk to you.”

“What if someone sees?”

“Well…then we’ll just tell them we’re talking about the exam or something.”Nevertheless, Romeo had a quick glance around before saying,“I want to spend the night with you.”

Ruby shook her head.“We can’t.”

“Yeah, we can.”Romeo paused a moment.“I’ve booked that room at the Sands again.Same one as before. For tonight.”

“And what am I going to tell Mum?”Ruby still wasn’t quite used to calling Charlie that but she’d started experimenting.

“You’ll think of something.Tonight, okay?”He had another look round before giving her a quick kiss.“I’ll see you then.”

Ruby watched him go.She had no idea how she was going to come up with an excuse to meet him.But she knew she wanted to.

Big thank you to everyone for your comments, hope you like this one...

CHAPTER 18

Ruby hovered in the kitchen doorway uncertainly.“Mum?”she asked cautiously.

Charlie looked at her with the expression parents always seemed to use when they realised a child wanted something.“Yes, Ruby?”

“Is it okay if I go to the city tonight?”

“What about your revision?”

“Well, if I don’t know it now, then I never will.”

Charlie gave her a sceptical look.“I’m sorry, Ruby, but it’s just not on.”

Ruby braced herself.She didn’t want to tell the lie but she couldn’t think of another way to get Charlie to agree.“It’s just…I’ve been missing Dad recently, with the exams and everything.I thought I might go and visit his grave.”

As she expected, Charlie’s features softened.“Oh, Ruby.”She took her gently by the arms.“Tell you what, I’ll drive you down and we can visit him together.”

“No, it’s okay, you’ve got work,”Ruby replied, trying not to sound too hasty,“I’ll just stay overnight in a hostel and I’ll be back here tomorrow.”

Charlie nodded.“All right.Have a safe trip.”

Romeo was in the middle of packing his bag when Indigo turned up at his place.“How’d your exam go?” she asked.

“Yeah, fine,”he replied, slightly distracted.

“Well, if you haven’t got one tomorrow, do you fancy doing something tonight?”

Romeo looked suddenly uncomfortable.“Actually, I’m going to the city tonight.Some old friends from the children’s home rang up and asked me if I wanted to meet up with them.”

Indigo stared at him in surprise.“That’s a bit sudden.”

“Yeah, it was all rather last minute.I’m gonna head up there now and I’ll probably crash at their place.”

“I guess I’ll see you in the morning then,”Indi replied awkwardly.She gave him a quick kiss and headed out.

As she was walking down the drive, worrying thoughts were going through her mind.She was pretty sure Romeo wasn’t in contact with anyone from the children’s home and there had been something oddly shifty about his behaviour.Something told her there was something else going on…

Making a decision, she took out her mobile and thumbed a number.“Hey, can I have a taxi, please? Summer Bay caravan park.I’ll meet it at the end of the drive.”

Indi had had a sinking feeling ever since she’d realised Romeo wasn’t heading for the city.When she saw his car pull into the Sands, it got even worse.

She paid the taxi driver and followed Romeo towards the entrance, loitering in the doorway just out of sight.She saw him go to the reception desk, exchange a few words with the receptionist and then head on down the corridor where the bedrooms were.She waited a few seconds and then followed him.

Indi tried to keep pace with Romeo but soon found herself lost in the maze of corridors, uncertain which way he’d gone.She was considering giving up, going home and confronting him about the lie later, when she heard a familiar voice.She peered round a corner…and then she saw them, kissing by the doorway to a hotel room.They smiled at each other, oblivious to her presence, and then disappeared into the room.

Indi leaned back against the wall, shocked at what she’d just seen.

Romeo closed the door to the room behind him, then pulled Ruby towards him and kissed her.“You made it then,”he commented.

Ruby nodded.“I’m not proud of the lie I told Charlie but I had to see you.”

“Me too.”He pecked her gently on the lips.

Ruby smiled seductively.“So what are we going to do now?”The effect was ruined slightly by a sudden knock on the door, causing her to scowl.“Who’s that?”

“It’s okay,”Romeo assured her.He opened the door to reveal a member of the hotel staff, pushing a trolley laden with food.“Thanks, mate,”he greeted him, handing him a note as a tip and then pulling the trolley into the room.

Ruby gaped at the large amounts of fruit, vegetables and meat dishes laid out before her.“What’s this?”

“You haven’t already eaten, have you?”

“No but…”

“This is okay for you to eat?I don’t really know that much about diabetics.”

“Yeah, it’s fine, I’ve got my insulin shots in my bag…Romeo, what is this?”

Romeo steered the trolley to the end of the bed and sat down in front of it, motioning for Ruby to sit on the bed next to him.“I just figured, we’re gonna be here all night, we could use some dinner.”

“Right.Okay.”Ruby took a plate from the trolley and helped herself to some of the meat and vegetables. She shot a sideways glance at Romeo as he did the same.“This is weird.”

“What, sleeping together is okay but having a meal together’s weird?”

“Well, yeah!I dunno, it just feels a bit too…normal for us.”

Romeo picked a grape from a bunch on the trolley and held it out to her.She opened her mouth cautiously and he popped the grape into it.She smiled and then kissed him hungrily, so he could taste the fruit in her mouth.She disengaged, holding her hands up in apology.“Sorry!Food first, other stuff afterwards.”

Romeo pecked her gently on the lips.“It’s okay,”he told her.They returned most of their attention to their meals but still kept stealing glances at each other, nervous but happy smiles on both their faces.

Thank you for all your comments and...hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 19

Romeo woke up to find Ruby asleep in his arms.He wasn’t sure when they’d started cuddling after making love, instead of lying apart on the bed.He wasn’t sure when he started thinking of it as making love either.

He kissed her hair and felt her stir against him.She lifted her head and gave him a shy smile.“Morning.”

“Morning,”he replied and gently kissed her.

She settled back down with a sigh.“I could get used to this.”

He hated to bring her back to reality but he knew he had to.“We’ll have to head back soon.”

He could feel the unhappiness coming out of her in the way her body suddenly tensed up.“I just wish there was some way I could be with you, and touch you, all the time.”

He didn’t answer.They both knew what the situation was.“Do you want to go back together?Just part of the way, I mean.”

She shook her head slightly.“I’m going to drive to the city first.Visit Dad.Then I might feel a bit less lousy about telling Charlie that’s what I was doing.”

He nodded.“We can still have breakfast together.”

Ruby only shifted her position ever so slightly, but suddenly the position in which they were lying, and the playful look on her face, seemed a lot less innocent.“Which, ah, breakfast were you thinking about?”

He held her body close to his and kissed her long and hard.“I think we’ve got time for both.”

Parting from Ruby was more difficult than Romeo had expected.In many ways he agreed with her about wishing there was a way to be together all the time.But he knew it wasn’t as simple as that.When he found the house empty on his return, he was relieved it gave him a chance to think…but he’d only been there a few minutes when Indi appeared, looking as though she’d been waiting to talk to him for a long time. “Romeo, I followed you last night,”she told him.

Romeo froze in shock.“What?”

“Come on, that story about old friends from the children’s home?I know you better than that.I followed you to the Sands.And I saw.”

Romeo had a sudden sinking feeling.“You saw?”

She nodded.“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I guess…I guess it never seemed like the right time.”

“The right time?How long’s it been going on?”

He hesitated.“A while.”

He was surprised when she stepped closer to him and took his hands.“Romeo, we can deal with this together.”

“You really think so?”

“Yes!We’ve got to tell him.”

The question wrongfooted Romeo slightly.“Casey?”

“Xavier!”

Romeo was even more confused.“Xavier?Why does he need to know?”

“He’s getting married to her next week!”

Romeo was beginning to get the feeling that he wasn’t having the conversation he’d thought he was having.“Amy?”He tried to work out exactly what Indi was telling him.“You went to the Sands and you saw Amy?”

It was Indigo’s turn to look confused.“Yeah.Didn’t you?”

Romeo struggled to come up with a story that fitted the facts.“I was looking for her but I didn’t find her.”

Indigo nodded.“Well, I did.She was with some bloke.”

“Do you know him?”

“No.He was older, about thirty.She was kissing him and then they went into a room.I think she’s cheating on Xav.”

Romeo was well aware of the irony of what he was about to say.But whether it made him a hypocrite or not, he knew Indigo was right.“Then we’ve got to tell him.”

There was a hint of surprise on Xavier’s face when Romeo and Indigo appeared on his doorstep but he hid it well.“Hey, guys, what’s up?”

They both stepped into the house.Romeo took the lead.“Xav…we were at the Sands last night.”

Xavier grinned.“You sly dogs, hey?How was it?”

“And so was Amy.”

Xavier’s grin disappeared, replaced by a confused look.“No, she was visiting her parents in the city.”

Romeo looked at Indigo, well aware that the next part had to come from her.She reluctantly took up the story.“Xav, I saw her there.And…she was with some guy.”

They saw the hurt in his eyes, with just a hint of tears, but then he shook his head.“No, no, you got it wrong.”

“They were together, Xav.I saw them going into a room.And…well, they were kissing.”

“She wouldn’t do that!”Xavier insisted.But his face told a different story.Deep down, he knew it was true. He turned away from them in anguish.

Indigo walked over to him and put her arms round him, comforting him.“I’m sorry, Xavier,”she said quietly,“But she’s been lying to you.”

Glad you all liked the twist.Hope you like this chapter too.

CHAPTER 20

Xavier hammered on the door of Amy’s motel room.Part of his brain wondered if she was still at the Sands. Another part, a small part, wondered if she’d ever been there.Eventually she opened the door.“Xav..?”

He pushed past her and then turned to face her.“Have you been cheating on me?”he asked at last.

He saw a flash of panic in her eyes.“No,”she claimed.

“Are you lying?”The question hung in the air, unanswered.“Romeo and Indi said they saw you at the Sands last night.With someone else?”

She took a step towards him and touched his arm.“Xavier, I wouldn’t…”

He pushed her away from him and she fell onto the bed.“It’s true, isn’t it?You’ve been cheating on me, haven’t you?”

Amy took a deep breath.“His name’s Brad,”she said at last,“He’s twenty-eight.He works with my dad. And I love him.”

Xavier stared at her in silence for a moment.“I was going to marry you,”he said,“I thought…What is this, some kind of sick joke?”

“No, Xavier, I wouldn’t do that.”She tried to take his arm again but he pulled away, backing against the wall, out of reach.“It…it was my gran.God, she was so old-fashioned, always going on about me wanting to be a lawyer.‘You don’t want to do that, girl, you’ll never be happy that way.You want to find a nice young man and settle down and have a family.’Then last year, she died.And we found out she’d left me fifty thousand dollars in her will.Grandad had been an accountant like Dad, he’d invested.But there was a clause.I could only claim it if I got married before I turned nineteen.”

Xavier shrugged.“So why not marry this Brad then, if you love him?”

Amy sighed.“Because he’s already married.”She saw the scornful look in Xavier’s eyes.“He’s separated. We were going to get married once his divorce came through but…I turn nineteen in two months and it won’t have happened by then.”

Xavier snorted.“So you thought you’d find some other sucker instead?”

“I didn’t go looking, Xavier.But then I met you on the beach that day and we got along and I thought…I thought that maybe, if things were different…So I told Brad and my parents about you and they weren’t happy but they agreed.I could marry you and get the money and then later on we could get divorced and I could marry Brad.”

“And you were just going to let me go along with it?Let me think you loved me?”

Amy got up and moved towards him, gently stroking his arm.This time he didn’t back away.“I’m sorry, Xav,”she said, resting her head on his shoulder,“But…you know everything now.We could still go ahead with it, we could split the money.Twenty-five thousand could make a big difference to both of us.What do you say?”

Romeo stuck his head round the kitchen door to find Ruby getting a drink from the fridge.“Are you alone?”

“No, you’re here.”She grinned.“Mum and Leah are at work.”

“Good.”He put his arms round her waist and gave her a quick kiss.“You hear about what happened with Xav?”

“About Amy cheating on him?Yeah, Casey told me.Poor guy.”She sighed.“Bit hypocritical for me to be saying that, isn’t it?When I’m doing the same to Case.”

Romeo nodded.“If Indi had chosen a different corridor at the Sands, that could have been us.”

“Do you want to end this?”

“I might sound like a complete rat for saying this, after seeing what it’s done to Xavier but…no.”He stroke her hair and gently kissed her again.“I really don’t want to end this.”

“Guess we’re both rats then ’cos neither do I.”

Romeo reached into his pocket and took out a white envelope, holding it up in front of Ruby.“Guess what I found waiting for me when I got home.”

Ruby checked the logo on the envelope.“Northern District University?Are you..?”

“My uni acceptance!Provided I don’t mess up my HSC, I’ll be joining the Sports Science class for 2012.”

Ruby hugged him.“That’s great, Romeo.I’m really pleased for you.”

“Well, it’ll certainly make running a surf school easier if I’ve got a qualification to back it up.”

“What, um, what does Indi make of it?”

Romeo paused.“I don’t know, I haven’t told her.”

Ruby looked puzzled.“Why not?”

“Well…I guess I wanted to come and tell you.”

They stood in silence for a moment, neither of them sure what to say.Then Ruby forced a smile.“Well, she’ll be proud of you.You’ve earned this.”

“Are you sure this is the right thing to do?”asked April as she and Indi approached Xavier’s place.

“You were the one that was worried about him,”Indi pointed out.

“Yeah but…maybe he wants to be alone?”

“Well, I guess he’ll tell us to go away then.”Indi knocked on the door, then, when she received no reply, she pushed it open.

Xavier looked round from where he was seated on the couch.He didn’t say anything.“We can go away if you want,”April offered.

Xavier gestured with his head.“No, come on in.”They did as invited, sitting either side of him.“The wedding’s off.I’ve just told Mum and John.Think Mum was kind of relieved in a way.”

“Did you speak to Amy?”April asked.

“Yeah.”They waited for him to continue.He didn’t.

“And..?”April prompted.

“And…she needed to get married to claim an inheritance.That’s the only reason she hooked up with me. Said I could have half the money if I went through with it.”

“But you said no, right?”Indi asked.

Xavier managed a smile.“Yeah, I said no.Tempted but…at the risk of sounding like a wuss, I didn’t really want to get married for that.”

Indi put her arm round him.“You did the right thing.”

“Yeah.Didn’t really get me anywhere, did it?”

April put her arm round him too and the two girls rested their heads on his shoulders.“You’ll find someone that deserves you,”April told him quietly.

Archived