Lady Frankerley's Lover

Guest Miranda

With the sudden and rather messy demise of their lord and master, most of the Frankerley entourage seemed to have gathered in Nicole’s room. Mrs. Smart was applying the finishing touches to her mistress’ costume and make-up for the wedding. ‘Oh, don’t cry, your ladyship,’ she begged as Nicole’s shoulders sagged again. ‘It’ll take me ages to do you again.’

‘It’s just so humiliating,’ Nicole moaned. ‘My husband feigned disability in order to escape my attentions. He thought so little of me he couldn’t even bring himself to allow me into our marital bed. I mean, was there anyone else in the household he didn’t sleep with?’

Her gaze flickered over the other occupants of the room. Miss Scott said nothing. Miss Buckton said nothing. Mrs. Roberts and Mrs. Smart said nothing. Copeland and Rosetta said nothing.

Nicole buried her face in her hands. ‘Just me?’

Miss Scott placed a consoling hand on her shoulder. ‘If it helps, your ladyship, you didn’t miss much.’

Nicole’s mind was suddenly filled with images of the kind, handsome and extraordinary virile under-gamekeeper who had become her companion instead. ‘No, I suppose not. I’ll miss his money though. What will become of me now, a simple dowager whose husband has left her alone and penniless?’

‘Actually, I’ve been looking into that,’ Rosetta told her. ‘And since your husband had no heir, his title is now extinct. Which means, as his wife, all his money and lands have now passed to you. And if you happened to marry again and have children, they’d be entitled to inherit.’

‘You’re so wise,’ Miss Buckton murmured adoringly.

‘And so are you,’ he replied equally adoringly.

‘Oh!’ Nicole got to her feet with a smile. ‘Well then, what are we all crying about? We have a wedding to go to!’

Mrs. Bellingham swept into the room, Romeo several paces behind. ‘Forgive me, your ladyship, but this young man was most insistent on seeing you, despite the frightful importunity of a gentleman entering the private domain of a lady…’ She paused, noticing the presence of Copeland and Rosetta. ‘Oh. I see you have some here already.’

Copeland tugged his forelock. ‘If you pardon me, your ladyship, I must seek out young Smith’s older sister.’

‘And we must take our place with the wedding guests,’ Rosetta added, offering his arm to Miss Buckton.

‘Come along, Mrs. Bellingham, I’m sure we have something to be getting on with somewhere,’ Mrs. Roberts observed as she and Mrs. Smart took their fellow servant by the arms.

‘Really, the standards in these households are going to rack and ruin…’ The door slammed shut, cutting off Mrs. Bellingham’s indignant tirade.

Nicole waited a moment before embracing her lover. ‘So, how does it feel to officially be a member of the Holden family?’

‘A bit strange t’ be honest with ya. But p’rhaps now you and me will be a bit more respectible.’

‘Oh, that would be a shame. I was quite enjoying being unrespectable.’ She kissed him and then pulled back. ‘We must not continue or Mrs. Smart will be forced to remove the creases from my dress and that will never do. And besides, I believe you have other duties to perform soon.’

Romeo smiled and tipped his hat to her slightly. ‘Then I’ll take me leave of you, your ladyship.’

‘But you will come back? You wouldn’t be distracted, however much Aquamarine tries to entice you away from me?’

‘I assure you, your ladyship… Nicole, I am forever yours.’ He made to leave again.

‘There is one last question. Now that you are no longer hiding from Palmer, what exactly is your real name?’

‘Todd Carpenter, your ladyship.’

Nicole stared at him. ‘That’s it?’

‘A bit of an anti-climax, I admit.’

Dr. Walker and Mrs. Poulos-Patterson-Baker-Johnsen-soon-to-be-Walker-she-hoped stood at the railing of the steam ship as it pulled out of port. ‘I think we may have left the area at just the right moment,’ Walker observed. ‘By the sound of things, Palmer’s gambit was a dismal failure. I don’t think we’d have made any more profit that way.’

‘Then where shall we go?’ asked the former post mistress.

‘This ship is bound for the continent and once there we can make our way wherever we want. I doubt if anyone we know will ever find us.’

‘Isn’t that the maid from Frankerley Hall?’

Walker followed Mrs.Poulos-Patterson-Baker-Johnsen’s gesture and was shocked to see Trey and Ruby standing a little way along the railing. He took his new paramour’s hand and marched over to them. ‘What are you doing here?’ he demanded.

Trey grinned and put an arm round Ruby’s waist. ‘We’re eloping! You?’

‘We’re… choosing to retire to a quiet corner of the globe.’

‘And what exactly are you retiring on?’

Walker gave Mrs.Poulos-Patterson-Baker-Johnsen a nod of assent and she produced a large bag of coins. ‘Your stepfather secreted certain funds away in case of an emergency,’ he explained. ‘I considered my imminent arrest an emergency.’

Ruby held up a similar bag with a smile. ‘Lord Frankerley’s private hoard! He’d been hiding it away from the tax men for years, not even his wife knew about it. I guess if you’re going to hide your money under the bed, you should be careful who you have in it.’

‘So looks like we’re all going to have a fresh start,’ Trey noted. ‘All thanks to the generosity of my stepfather and Penn!’

Miss Scott stood with Lady April at the rear of the chapel. ‘You are certain that you wish me to be in your entourage?’

Lady April gave her a smile. ‘It seems an attempt is being made to acknowledge our poorer relations. See your new sweetheart and his brother standing at the front with Xavier. I hear even the reverend’s sister is one of Lord Holden’s servants.’

Nicole took her place in the congregation alongside Miss Walker and Mr. de Murphy. ‘I see things have worked out happily for you two,’ she remarked.

Mr. de Murphy patted Miss Walker’s arm affectionately. ‘Given the sudden departure of her father, I have offered to take Miss Walker under my wing. We will return to the Emerald Isle and make sweet music together.’

‘Well, I’m glad for you, Indigo.’

Miss Walker sighed. ‘It’s…’ She paused and thought for a moment. ‘No, you’re right, it’s Indigo.’

The congregation fell silent as Lady April processed to the front of the chapel to stand by her betrothed, Miss Scott following in her wake. Reverend Campbell smiled at the couple before addressing those assembled. ‘We are gathered here today to join these two persons in holy matrimony. And, if you forgive me, I am pleased to see so many different people from different walks of life standing together to share in their happiness. It feels like we are standing at the dawn of an era where we are beginning to set those divisions aside. And who knows, one day I may be called upon to join one of our country’s nobles to someone of humbler background.’

Romeo, standing beside Xavier and Hugo, looked back at Nicole and gave her a very un-gamekeeperlike wink.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epilogue

Three months later, Lady Nicole had settled nicely into her role as dowager mistress of Frankerley Manor. Her confidante, Mr Smith, was now manager of the Frankerley estate, and visited her boudoir nightly.

The rest of the servants were only too grateful to be spared the wandering attentions of Lord Frankerley, to complain about the relationship of their mistress with another man.

One day, Romeo entered Nicole’s dressing room to find her sipping peppermint tea.

‘I have news for you, my darling,’ he began.

She held up her finger. ‘I must speak first, my dearest.’

He liked being ordered around by her, so listened.

‘I have important news myself. The new physician, Dr Young, is excellent. After the mysterious disappearance of Dr Walker, he is holding the fort admirably.’

‘Go on.’

‘Dr Young informs me I am with child.’ She gazed down modestly, but could not resist looking to see her beloved’s reaction.

‘Marx and Engels!’ he gasped. ‘So I am to be a father?’

‘Well certainly it is no one else.’

He flung himself down at her feet, enraptured.

‘What is your news, my love?’

‘Oh, it was simply that I decided to change my name legally to Romeo Smith. Todd Carpenter is so common.’

‘But I like your common aspect.’ She stroked his hair.

‘If you are with child, we cannot carry on as we are at present.’

‘No? Oh- I-‘ Nicole felt her world shiver. Did he mean to abandon her?

‘We must be married forthwith. Will you marry me, Lady Nicole Frankerley?’

She gasped.

‘Oh, Romeo, I accept. On one condition.’

‘Anything, my true love. Anything.’

‘It is that we both change our names. To Harrisbury- Smith. I cannot bear to keep the name of my fortunately deceased husband. He blighted my life. I will take my maiden name of Harrisbury. Do you accept my proposal?’

‘I do.’

They fell into an embrace.

THE END

Comments

Archived