Deadly Reunion

Guest Red Ranger 1

Many thanks for all your comments.This is the end of this particular story so I hope you enjoy it.

EPILOGUE

Aden drew the car to a halt and gently touched Nicole’s arm.“We’re here.”

She stirred in the passenger seat, looking around for a moment as though she’d forgotten what they were doing.Then she gave a slight nod.“Hard to believe it’s been a year.”

“Certainly been an eventful year,”Aden agreed.He seemed about to say something else when a gurgling noise caught both their attention.

Izzy was looking at them from her car seat, with those big blue eyes.Three months old and already she knew just how to make her opinion felt with a simple look.

“I think someone wants us to get out of the car,”Aden commented.

“Well, if it’s what she wants, I guess we’d better do it,”Nicole agreed.She unclipped her seat belt and went to open the door.Aden caught her hand and gently pressed his lips against hers for a moment.

She smiled slightly.“I love you.”

He didn’t answer.He never had.But she saw it in his eyes, how much it meant to him to hear her say that, how much she meant to him.Maybe one day he’d say it back to her.Maybe not.It didn’t matter.She knew.

They walked slowly, Aden carrying Izzy under his arm, Nicole pushing the empty buggy alongside them, until they reached the headstone.Nicole knelt down next to it, placing a bunch of flowers on the grave and picking the moss away from the first few letters:Roman Harris, 1978-2011.

“Hi, Dad,”she said at last, trying to sound cheerful despite the sadness she felt,“It’s been a year now since we last saw you.A lot’s happened.”She went to stand by Aden, taking his hand and gently stroking Izzy’s cheek.“I guess you already know my fiancè.This is your granddaughter, Izzy.We promise that when she gets older we’re going to tell her all about you, what a great man her grandad was.”She looked at Aden. “Aren’t we?”

He nodded awkwardly.“Yeah.”

“And I’ve started that nursing course.It’s not easy, with Izzy to look after, but I’m going to keep at it. Your little princess is going to make something of herself.And Aden’s doing well too.Right?”

She nudged him and he gave an embarrassed grin.“I’m, ah, studying to be a chef.Figured if I was gonna follow in the old man’s footsteps it should be the right footsteps.And Irene’s practically promised me a job at the Diner once I’m qualified so I should be set up.”He was interrupted by a slight whining noise from Izzy and looked down at her, worried.“Is she all right?We haven’t upset her or anything?”

“It’s just wind.”Nicole took her from his arms, rubbing her back gently.“Come on.Be a good girl for Mummy.”

Aden looked about him.“Look, do you mind if I take a look around?”

She nodded, understanding.He had a wife and brother buried there.He’d want to visit them.Aden kissed her on the cheek and kissed Izzy on the forehead before walking away slowly.

Nicole waited until he was some distance away before taking a few steps towards the grave, their daughter sitting quietly in her arms as if somehow understanding what was going on around her.“Thanks, Dad,”she said quietly,“Thanks for bringing us together.Thanks for making us better people.I promise we’ll always make you proud.”

Comments

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived