Deadly Reunion

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thank you so much for your comments, everyone.Sorry there's been a bit of a gap between updates, bit of a long one which hopefully makes up for it.

CHAPTER 11

Nicole was just finishing off the drying when Sally came back through from the bedroom.“Is Summer okay?”she asked.

Sally nodded.“Yeah, she’ll go off to sleep in a moment.”She smiled.“She told me your story about the lonely princess.”

Nicole didn’t smile back.“Guess I missed out the bit where the prince leaves town, the king dies and the princess runs away again.”

Sally walked over and put a comforting hand on her arm.“Look, Nicole, I know this hasn’t been easy for you…”

“It’s just…when’s this going to end?I’m stuck out here, hiding out, what if they never catch this guy?I mean, no offence but…I want my life back.”

“You’ll get it back.Just as soon as we’re sure it’s safe.”

“And then Aden’ll go back to his life…”Nicole bit her lip, realising she’d said too much, and turned away, heading towards her room.

“Nicole,”Sally called, firmly and gently,“I know we agreed not to talk about this but…”

Nicole stopped, sighed and turned back to her.“But?”

“But…take a seat.”Sally gestured towards the sofa, settling there herself while Nicole took a chair nearby. “This thing with you and Aden, are you sure it’s what you think it is?”

“I’m sure, he…he needed a friend or…well, a bit more than a friend, I guess, but…that’s all.”She paused. “Except…”

“Except what?”Sally prompted.

“Except…a couple of years back, Aden and I had both been through messy break-ups and we kind of started sleeping with each other.And it was all mad and passionate and ripping each other’s clothes off…” She stopped.“Too much information?”

Sally was trying hard to keep her face neutral.“No, it’s okay, I do have a bit of experience on that score, believe it or not…”

“And this time…I don’t know, it wasn’t like that.It was different, all soft and tender and gentle.And before, when it was over, he couldn’t wait to get rid of me, this time he…well, he held me.While I went to sleep.”She shook her head, clearing it.“Wasn’t there when I woke up though.”

“He left the house?”

“No, he…went downstairs to make us breakfast…”Nicole stopped herself.“Look, me and Aden, it’s not happening.We go there, we get hurt.”She got to her feet, smoothing down her clothes self-consciously.“I’m going to bed.”

Rachel’s attention had been focused so heavily on checking the patient details on her computer screen that for a moment she didn’t notice the two figures standing in front of her.“Charlie,”she said by way of greeting,“I was so sorry to hear about…”

“How’s Morag?”Charlie asked abruptly.

Rachel paused, taking in the two of them:Charlie, clearly on edge, Angelo, just behind her and looking slightly apologetic.“The transfer went well,”she said at last,“The doctor from the burns unit has been down to see her, he doesn’t think there’s any risk of infection but there’s likely to be some scarring and perhaps even a small amount of nerve damage…”

“Can we speak to her?”

“I thought the police in the city had already taken a statement.”

“They have but…I just need to check a few details.”

Rachel nodded, understanding.It was in Charlie’s nature to want to keep busy, to be involved.She had a feeling she’d be the same if someone close to her had been involved in an accident.“I’ll go and check on her,”she told her.

Angelo waited until Rachel was out of earshot before speaking.“You need to calm down, Charlie.”

Charlie turned on him angrily.“Don’t tell me to calm down!That was my dad that…that…”She faltered.

“I know,”Angelo replied gently,“Just like it was Nicole’s dad and Aden’s brother.”

“You really think it’s the same guy?”

“Given that phone call that Aden got, almost certainly.But we’re not going to get him if we lose our cool.”

“You weren’t the one who had to tell Ruby her grandfather was dead last night.The way she was…I don’t know how she’s going to cope with this.”

Aden wasn’t quite sure what had drawn him towards the surf club.But when he entered his attention was immediately caught by the familiar voice floating through from the bar.“I don’t have any friggin’ ID, okay? Just give me a vodka!”

Aden walked through and saw the blank-faced server standing behind the bar, clearly unmoved by Ruby’s entreaty.“She’s seventeen,”he said simply.

The server gave a satisfied nod, then walked across to the other end of the bar to serve someone else.

Ruby stormed up to Aden angrily.“What did you do that for?”

Aden looked at her scornfully.“What, stop you getting out of your head?”

“In case you haven’t noticed my head’s not a particularly good place to be at the moment.”

“Yeah and drinking yourself stupid is going to make it an even worse place.I’ve tried it and I know.”

Ruby shook her head disgustedly and walked away from him.“If you’re not willing to help me and he’s not willing to help me, I’ll try the bottle shop in Yabbee Creek…”

Aden grabbed her by the arm and dragged her towards the exit.

“What are you doing?”she demanded.

“Helping you,”he retorted, continuing to drag her down the road,“Someone’s got to.”

Nicole caught the tail end of the phone call as she came into the room.“Yeah, all right, I’ll tell her.Thanks for letting us know.Speak to you soon.”Sally put the phone down and turned round, catching sight of Nicole and suddenly looking a lot more awkward.“That was Miles,”she began.

“What’s going on?”Nicole demanded.

“Maybe you shut sit down…”

“Tell me!Is it Aden?”

“No.”Sally hesitated.“It’s Morag.And her husband.”

“Ross?”

Sally nodded, gesturing for Nicole to sit.“Someone set fire to their home last night.”

“Are they all right?”

“Morag’s got some pretty bad burns but they think she’ll be fine.Ross…”Sally shook her head sadly.

Nicole gasped.“Oh my god.”She choked back a sob.“It must be…it must be because they lived with us, with me and Dad and Aden.We’re the link.”

“That’s what the police think but…”

Nicole got to her feet suddenly.“I’ve got to get back there.”

Sally caught hold of her.“Nicole, you need to be safe…”

“While I’m here, people are being hurt.I need to get back to Aden.”

“It was Aden that wanted you to be here…”

“I don’t care!He needs me with him!”Nicole was close to hysteria now.

“Nicole, you need to think straight.”Sally spoke in the same gentle but firm manner.“It’s getting late, what do you think you can do now?”

“I…”Nicole’s panic subsided slightly.“All right but…tomorrow then.”She looked at her pleadingly.“I need to get home, Sally.”

Sally nodded slowly, remembering how she’d felt when Johnny Cooper was after her, how she’d refused to run and hide.If there was danger, she could see Nicole wouldn’t want people she cared about to face it instead of her.“All right,”she agreed,“I’ll get you on the first flight tomorrow.”

“Here.”Aden threw a bottle to Ruby, who was seated on the couch.

She caught it and looked at it without enthusiasm.“Lemonade?”

“If you think I brought you here so you could pass out drunk on the couch…”

She got to her feet, heading for the door.“Fine, then I’ll go somewhere…”

He grabbed her arm, pulling her down onto the couch next to him.“Look, I’m trying to keep an eye on you here.Be sensible.”

“Well maybe I don’t want to be sensible!My dad’s dead, Aden!”

“So’s mine!”he shouted back.

“Yeah and you were so cut up about it you buried him in the woods!”Aden looked as if he’d been slapped. Ruby caught her breath.“I mean…”

“I was talking about Roman,”he said quietly.

Ruby nodded slowly.“I was talking about Ross.Except he wasn’t my dad, was he?Any more than Roman was yours.Grant was.”

“Guess we both lucked out in that department,”Aden noted, unscrewing his own lemonade bottle and taking a large gulp.

“You said it,”Ruby agreed,“Yours let you be abused, mine would probably have done it himself.Look what he did to Charlie.”

“So we both had a lousy real father and a good pretend one.And now they’re all dead.”

“That about sums it up.”

“Got any suggestions as to how we deal with it?Preferably not involving alcohol.”

Ruby suddenly pounced on him, kissing him passionately for several seconds before sitting back down again.She looked at him awkwardly.“Not such a good idea?”

He stared at her for a moment then pulled her back towards him, pulling her lips back down onto his own. They explored each other’s mouths hungrily as he pushed her back down onto the couch, lying on top of each other.Both of them tore at each other’s clothes, pressing kisses down on the other’s lips and neck, seeking the comfort of each other’s bodies.And any thoughts that might have caused them to question what they were doing were quickly banished from both their minds.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your comments, hope you like this.

CHAPTER 12

Aden had been hoping the house would be empty when he came downstairs.But instead he found Ruby standing there in her underwear, with her back to him, clipping her bra back into place.She sensed his presence and looked round, smiling nervously.“Hi,”she greeted him, babbling slightly,“I was just getting dressed, I mean, this is where I left my clothes when we…”

“I remember,”Aden replied abruptly, taking in the clothes strewn around the room, both hers and his, most of them around the sofa.That was where they’d done it the first time, of course, before they’d moved upstairs.

He headed through into the kitchen, giving her some privacy while she finished dressing.A few moments later, she appeared in the doorway, fully dressed.“So I’d better get off then,”she said awkwardly.

“Yeah, see ya,”he said casually, glancing at her just long enough to register the hurt and embarrassment on her face before she made a quick exit.

Inwardly he was kicking himself.What had he been thinking, sleeping with a kid like that?Comfort sex. That was what Nicole had called it.Fun while it lasted but this morning they both felt just as lousy.If not more so.He’d had sex with her, over and over, fallen asleep with her lying next to him, but he didn’t feel any closer to her and he didn’t feel any better.It all just felt pointless.

Except…Nicole had been wrong.Because it hadn’t been like that with her, that night after Roman’s funeral, when he’d woken up to find her sleeping in his arms.He’d felt happy again, for those few short hours before the news of Justin’s death had shattered his world again.With her, it had never been simply physical, like it had been with Ruby.Not even those first few times, when Belle had been in rehab.No matter how much he’d hated himself for it, he’d never quite been able to ignore the fact that he cared about her.

He was perhaps only just beginning to realise exactly how much.

Ruby knocked on the door tentatively, enough to have Charlie come running through to the kitchen with an angry look on her face.“Ruby, I just heard from Irene that you didn’t come home last night!What were you thinking, I was about to send a squad car out to look for you…”She stopped as she noticed how upset Ruby look.“What’s the matter?”

Ruby let Charlie guide her into one of the chairs at the table.“I was with Aden.”

Charlie slid into one of the other seats.“With him as in..?”

“As in…with him.”

Charlie looked at her carefully.“He didn’t..?”

“No!God, no!”Ruby shook her head in a definite manner.“He didn’t force me, he didn’t hurt me, it was my idea.I just…What am I going to tell Nicole?”

“Well, they’re not going out anymore,”Charlie pointed out,“I don’t see why…”

“Mum, I just slept with the guy she’s in love with.She’s going to hate me.I’d hate me.”

“Why did you do it?”

Ruby shook her head.“I don’t know.It just seemed like a good idea at the time.I thought…I thought maybe it might make things feel better.”

Charlie took her hand gently.“Didn’t work?”

“No.I felt like…I felt like he didn’t care who I was.And worse, I felt like I didn’t care who he was.When I slept with Geoff and Xavier, I felt…I felt special.I don’t feel special now, Mum.”There were tears in her eyes.“I just feel cheap.”

Charlie got out of the chair and crouched by her daughter, letting her bury her head in her chest as the tears flowed.

It had been a long chat but Ruby was finally feeling better about herself as she walked towards home.The only thing still weighing on her mind was how she’d feel the next time she saw Aden or Nicole.How would they react?Had she spoiled everything between the three of them for one stupid, meaningless night?

She almost didn’t hear the running footsteps behind her, almost didn’t notice how deserted the path behind the beach house was.Until something heavy struck her on the head from behind and knocked her off her feet.

She tried to cry out but she had no chance as blow after blow rained down on her head from the unseen assailant, until finally it all went black.

Sorry there's been a bit of a wait, hope you enjoy this one.

CHAPTER 13

“Will you give it a rest?”Xavier asked as he and April walked away from the surf club.

There was a broad grin on April’s face.“Well, you were the one who was all ‘Oh, I’m an ace pool player, are you sure you don’t want a handicap?’And then your face when the black went down…”

“Yeah, I’m getting the feeling that I’ve been hustled.”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”April noticed Xavier suddenly stop in shock, staring over her shoulder, his gaze fixed on something behind her.“What’s wrong?”

He didn’t answer so she turned round and caught sight of the figure lying prone at the side of the path, half-hidden by the bushes.She hurried over and crouched down, shocked to recognise Ruby, even more shocked to see the dried blood that had poured from the wound on her temple and run down the side of her face.She felt for a pulse and was relieved to find that, though weak, it was definitely there.

She looked back at Xavier, who was still rooted to the spot in shock.“Xavier, get help, get an ambulance!” He came to and nodded, running back towards the surf club.She shook her housemate gently, desperately trying to rouse her.“It’s okay, Ruby, help’s on the way.Just hold on.”

Nicole had once again found herself leaving the arrival gate at the airport and looking around for the person she was supposed to meet.Finally, she caught sight of Miles standing there and hurried over to him, giving him a quick hug of greeting.“Thanks for picking me up.”

“Well, I did have to think twice about it.Nice to see you and everything but what happened to staying somewhere safe?”

“Guess I was just missing you all too much,”Nicole replied, trying to keep the conversation light.

“Oh, well, that’s understandable,”Miles agreed, apparently deciding to follow her lead,“So, how’s Sally and little Pippa?”

“Not so little anymore.”

“Medium sized Pippa?”

“They’re good.”

“Good.”Miles took her bag from her.“Right, let’s get you off home…”

Nicole caught something in his manner, that slight reticience to talk.“Miles, is something wrong?”

“No, no, nothing’s wrong.”The answer came a bit too easily, the way he was talking and the way he was avoiding looking at her a bit too furtive.

“Miles, tell me!”Nicole demanded,“Is it Aden?”

“Aden’s fine.”Miles hesitated before answering,“It’s Ruby.”

Nicole gave a slight gasp.“Ruby?”

“She was attacked, Xavier and April found her.She’s in hospital.”

“Is she okay?”

“Well, Charlie and Irene are with her…”

“But is she all right?”

“She hasn’t regained consciousness yet,”Miles admitted,“The doctors are waiting to see if there’s any damage.”He saw her faltering.“Look, we’ll just get you home…”

Nicole shook her hand decisively.“No, I don’t want to go home, I want to go to the hospital.I want to see Ruby.”

“Nicole,”Miles said warningly.

“I want to see Ruby!”

Miles sighed.“Okay.Okay.Let’s go see Ruby.”

They were quiet for several minutes as they headed along the country road into town, Nicole seeming to have lapsed into a despondent silence after her initial outburst.Finally Miles shot her a glance.“It’s not your fault, you know.”

“If I hadn’t gone away,”Nicole began.

“We don’t know what would have happened.”

“They were after me,”Nicole insisted,“And because they couldn’t find me they went after Ruby.And Ross…How are that family going to feel?Everyone they care about…”

“People care about you too,”Miles reminded her,“There’s me and Aden and Romeo and how do you think Alf would feel without you showing him your fashion designs all the time?Yes, what’s happened to Ruby is terrible but I’m not going to have you thinking it would be better if it was you.And anyway, Ruby’s going to be all right.”

“You don’t know that.”

“No but…there’s still hope and that’s the important thing.”

Neither of them had paid much attention to the car heading in the opposite direction, even though it was the only other car in sight.Not until it suddenly zigzagged across the road, until it was almost set to collide with them head on.

Miles wrenched the steering wheel to the right, desperately trying to take them out of the other car’s path. Nicole saw the obstruction and tried to shout a warning but it was too late.Anything she’d planned to say was drowned out by the terrifying crack of the impact and the tear of shredding metal as they hit the tree.

could it be Aden himself, behind all this?? We all know that the writer of this fic didn't like his character on the show :lol: And Aden is the only one who has been close to all these incidents... :unsure:

Now there's a theory no-one else has come up with...

Thank you again for the comments, hope you all enjoy this update.

CHAPTER 14

“I’m all right,”Nicole insisted as Rachel tried her best to examine her in between her continual attempts to get out of bed.

“Physically, you’ve just got a few bruises,”Rachel confirmed,“The driver’s side took most of the impact. But your blood pressure is slightly elevated and I would like to get to the bottom of that.”

Aden and Charlie had been standing off to one side during the examination, watching Nicole’s difficult patient act.“Just let them look after you, Nic,”Aden suggested soothingly.

“But what about Miles?”Nicole asked,“How is he?”

“He’s still in surgery.”Seeing Nicole’s questioning look, Rachel repeated the diagnosis again.“The impact caused one of his ribs to puncture a lung and cause a pneumothorax.But it’s very routine, I’m sure he’ll be fine.It’s just lucky you were both wearing seatbelts.”

“Have you remembered anything else about the crash?”asked Charlie.

Nicole shook her head.“Just…the car coming towards us and Miles swerving and…He must have been trying to kill us.”She noticed Charlie hesitate slightly.“What?”

“It’s just…the way you describe it, the other driver seems to have intended for you to swerve to the right, which would mean the driver’s side would take most of the impact.”

“You mean…you mean he meant for Miles to be hurt worse than me?”

Charlie nodded.“I think…I think he was trying to kill him.”

“But why him and not me?”

“We don’t know.There’s a lot about this case that just doesn’t seem to make sense.The choice of victims, the methods…”

“How’s Ruby?”

The question seemed to throw Charlie slightly, dragging her out of her professional mode and into the personal one.“She’s still unconscious,”she admitted.

“I’m so sorry.”

“Why are you sorry?”

“Because…because this is all down to me, they must be trying to hurt me.They went after Miles because I live with him and Ruby because she’s my best friend…”

Charlie looked at Aden and Nicole caught a glimpse of something odd in her expression, almost a barely concealed hostility.“Do you think she’s right, Aden?Or do you think there’s another reason?”

Aden suddenly looked uncomfortable, avoiding Charlie’s gaze and looking at Nicole.“I found Ruby in a bad way after Ross died so I took her home and she ended up staying over.I guess…someone could have seen her leaving, thought we were friends or something.”

Nicole dismissed the explanation, turning back to Charlie.“Can I see her?”

“If it’s okay with Rachel.”

Rachel nodded.“Yes, I’m finished here.Come on, I’ll take you to her.”

Aden waited until they’d gone before turning to Charlie.“Do we have a problem?”

“Well, that depends on whether you think it was a coincidence that my daughter ends up in hospital only a few hours after you slept with her.”Charlie saw the embarrassed look in his eyes and pressed home.“What were you thinking, Aden?”

“She was trying to get drunk and write herself off,”Aden insisted,“What do you think would have happened to her then?I tried to help her and…things went too far…”

“You thought having sex with her was helping her?”

Aden’s temper flared.“I was looking out for her!Where were you when she needed someone, huh?”

He stormed out of the room, leaving Charlie shaken by his words.

Rachel had left Nicole alone with her friend.It had been a shock when she’d first seen Ruby:even though she’d been cleaned up since they first found her, there was still a large bruise across the side of her face where she’d been hit and the upper part of her head was encased in bandage.She was so still it was hard to believe she was still alive.

“Come on, Rubes,”Nicola said, trying to keep her tone light,“You need to wake up now.You’ve got so many people worrying about you, you don’t want to do that, do you?I mean, who am I going to complain about everything to now?I need someone to go down the beach with, to perv at boys with…”She could feel the tears starting to roll down her cheeks unbidden and her voice cracked slightly.“Please, Ruby, I can’t lose you too.”

She caught the sudden movement out of the corner of her eye and saw Aden standing there.“Are you okay?”he asked gently.

She shook her head.“It just feels like one thing after another.First Dad, and Ross and your brother, and now Miles and Ruby…it feels like I’m losing everyone.”

Aden hugged her for a moment, letting her dry her face on his chest, then put an arm round her.“Come on. Let’s get you out of here for a bit.”

Huge thanks to everyone for their comments, the response to the last two chapters has been astonishing.Hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 15

By the time Aden came back into the lounge, a mug of tea in each hand, Nicole seemed calmer.She was sat on the sofa, her eyes downcast, her expression subdued.He passed her a mug.“Here.Drink this.”

Nicole took a long sip of the tea and screwed her face up in mild distaste.“How many sugars did you put in this?”

“Sweet tea’s best for shock.”Aden took a sip from his own mug as he settled down into a chair nearby.

Nicole reluctantly took another drink, mulling it over.“I guess it does the job,”she admitted.

Aden nodded.“It’s an old army trick.Justin always used to…”He broke off suddenly, lapsing into silence.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here for the funeral,”Nicole said quietly.

Aden shook his head.“It was me that told you to go somewhere safe.”He shot her an ironic look.“How’s that going, by the way?”

“I guess I just got tired of hiding,”Nicole replied,“I mean it’s not looking like this is going to end…”

“It will,”Aden said firmly.

Nicole nodded slowly.“Then what?”she asked.

Aden shrugged.“I guess we’ll get on with our lives.You’ll get top marks and go off to do fashion at college…”He noticed her expression falter slightly.“What?”

“I’m just not sure that’s what I want to do anymore.”Nicole saw his surprised look.“I mean, I still like the clothes, I like wearing them, I like doing the designs, I like the idea of seeing something I’ve thought of being put together and sold on the high streets.It’s just…I’m not sure I like the people, always pushing after success, trampling on everyone else to make it big.I think I’ll probably still work on the designs, try and sell them, but…there’s another course I’ve applied to.”

“What?”Aden asked, interested.

Nicole looked at him a moment, considering, then shook her head.“You’d only laugh.”

“Promise,”Aden replied, make a cross sign over his heart.

“I’m…I’m thinking of becoming a nurse.”She noticed the corners of Aden’s lips twitch upwards slightly. “You promised!”

“That wasn’t a laugh,”Aden responded,“More a kind of…smirk.”He paused a moment before giving another amused grin.“Seriously, the idea of you emptying bedpans and holding sick bowls..?”

“Well…at least you don’t have to wear your own clothes.”She shrugged.“I dunno, I just…I think I’d get more out of helping people than out of just designing stuff.What about you?”

His good mood vanished.He looked away, staring down at the mug in his hands.“I don’t know.I mean, I’ve been thinking about going back to the city.Maybe uni.I don’t want to just get stuck in another job that’s going nowhere.Don’t really know what I’d be good at.Maybe something practical, I mean, the other stuff’s okay but it’s not really me.”He paused.“Or I could stay here.I mean, if there was a reason.I know it didn’t work out last time, but lately I’ve been thinking that maybe things would be different this time, that there’s, you know, a reason for me to stay here.That it could be good for both of us.”He looked up.“Do you think?”

Nicole was asleep.

Aden sighed wearily and drank the rest of his tea before getting to his feet and picking up Nicole’s empty mug from the table.

A wave of dizziness overtook him suddenly.The two mugs fell from his grasp, shattering on the floor.He looked at Nicole’s unconscious form and at the remains of the empty mugs, realisation dawning, until he fell to the floor next to them, lying there, dead to the world.

When he woke up, there was the cold, hard feel of concrete against his face.He struggled to get up but found he couldn’t, his ankles bound together, his wrists taped behind his back.He moved his head, looking around, and saw Nicole lying nearby, bound just as tightly as him, still out cold.“Nic!Nic!”he called urgently, wishing there was some way he could touch her.He managed to pull his body forward slightly so he could nudge her leg with his head.“Nic, wake up!”

Nicole slowly opened her eyes and looked at him, frightened.“Aden?What’s going on?”

“I don’t know, I…I think someone drugged us.”

“But why?Where are we?”

“Well, about time.”The sardonic male voice interrupted their conversation and caused them to look round, taking in their surroundings for the first time.They were in an empty warehouse, empty save for the two of them, a simple wooden chair and the man sitting on it, his appearance scruffy, his sandy hair messy, a look of amusement on his face without any warmth in it at all.There was a gun in his hand and the fact it wasn’t pointed in their direction was little comfort.He held it casually, as if it were a part of him, something that was perfectly natural to be there.“I was wondering when you were going to wake up.”

Nicole felt her blood run cold.She’d already known, she realised now, deep down.She just hadn’t wanted to admit it.But now she knew for sure.Knew with a cold, hard dread that she felt down to her bones. “Gardy.”

Thanks again for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 16

Gardy grinned down at Nicole.“Good to see you again, gorgeous.”He looked at Aden.“We didn’t really meet last time I was in town.David Gardiner.”He held out his hand, suddenly seemed to realise that Aden was in no position to shake it, shrugged and walked away.

“Gardy, why are you doing this?”Nicole asked frantically.

“Oh, now that’s a good question,”Gardy commented.He gestured with the gun as he spoke, never quite pointing it in their direction, not even seeming to think of it as something threatening.“Funny how no-one thought to ask that before.‘Gardy, why are you doing this?’Everyone just seemed to assume that I was going around robbing places and pointing guns at people just for the fun of it.”

“Weren’t you?”

“No.The fun was just a bonus.”He grinned, as though sharing a joke that he was well aware no-one else would find funny.“I owed a lot of money to a lot of people.Some of whom are a lot bigger and badder than me.Then I get a call from my old mate Hardcore, asking me to help him out, saying he can’t see and he feels really bad ’cos he shot his mate.So I comes along, helps him out.One good turn deserves another, right?But no, instead he gets all ‘Oh no, we can’t do this, Gardy’ and gets the police on me.And, oh yeah-he shoots me.So suddenly I’m public enemy number one with just about everyone you don’t want to get on the wrong side of.”

“So you killed him?”Nicole demanded.

Gardy nodded, seeming pleased with himself.“First time he stuck his nose out of jail.”He saw their disgusted looks.“Hey, I gave you one last day with him.You should thank me for that.I could have plugged him straightaway.”

“And that made you feel better, did it?”Aden asked scornfully.

Gardy sighed.“You know…I really thought it would do.But when it came to it, it was no fun at all.All that and it’s simply ‘Bang, you’re dead’ from a distance.Didn’t even know what hit him.”He grinned.“But then I saw you two.His grieving children.If you overlook the fact you keep sleeping together.And that’s where I realised the fun was.Messing with your lives as much as possible.Getting rid of everyone you cared about, watching you cry your eyes out as you lost everyone.”

“Justin?”Aden asked quietly.

Gardy nodded.“He was the first.Made it so easy, charging around with a gun like that, just had to sneak into the camp and shoot him, easy as Roman.Then it was that couple that used to live with you.Shame the old bird survived but hey, that place burnt real good.”He glanced at Nicole.“And then Roly Poly, your guardian, Hardcore’s best mate.Guess I should have known he’d just bounce off the steering wheel.Should have used an elephant gun instead.And oh yeah.”He shot her a malicious grin.“Have you heard from your mum lately?”

Nicole’s heart seemed to miss a beat, as she tried to remember the last time she’d spoken to her.Not since before she’d gone to Phuket.“What have you done?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”He turned away, seeming to revel in her turmoil.

Nicole thought quickly.“What about Ruby?Ruby, my best mate?That was you too, right?But you didn’t kill her.”

“You know, I thought about it,”Gardy mused,“Seeing her lying there all screaming and helpless, I thought ‘Just another couple of hits and she’ll be quiet for good.’But I figured,‘Nah, this is enough, this’ll be enough so she finds out.’”

Nicole looked at him, confused.“Find out what?”

Gardy gave a gasp of feigned shock, putting a hand to his mouth.“You mean she doesn’t know?”He looked at Aden, seeing from his reaction that he knew what he was referring to.He laughed.“Oh, this is priceless.”

Aden’s expression shocked Nicole.He looked completely desperate, more so than facing a man with a gun had made him.“Please, she doesn’t need to know about that,”he begged.

“Quiet,”Gardy snapped, his tone becoming harsh for a moment, before he relaxed back into his usual, deceptively casual style,“You remember those little candid camera shots I sent you of you two getting jiggy?Great performance, by the way, Nic, your dad’d be proud.”

“Don’t you dare,”Nicole began.

“Yeah, still talking,”he cut in,“See, I figured there was no fun you two being all vulnerable and tortured if I couldn’t see it.You’d be surprised how easy it is to break into someone’s house, set up a few CCTV cameras and record the show.Wasn’t expecting anything that good though and when I saw it I just had to share it with you.Course, I knew once I had done you’d get the police to search the place, so I took them all down.But then, once they’d finished, I put them back.And I got myself a second little peep show.”He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a set of photographs.

Nicole saw Aden’s stricken, helpless expression as Gardy crouched by her and showed her the photographs, one by one.She felt her stomach lurch as she recognised the two naked bodies, lying on the couch in Aden’s front room.

“Didn’t even make it upstairs this time,”Gardy commented,“Oh, no, wait, that was round two.”He flicked through the set, showing her more photos, this time from the bedroom, the same participants.

Nicole looked at Aden in silent accusation, saw the guilt etched across his features.“Nic, I swear it was a mistake,”he insisted.

“Yeah, bored now.”Gardy threw the photos away, leaving them scattered across the floor.He walked a few paces away, turned and levelled the gun at them.“Time for the endgame.”He sighed.“You know the really disappointing thing?I have to kill one of you first.Would have kinda liked to have seen both your reactions. Still, can’t be helped.”The gun wavered between them for a moment before finally he pointed it at Nicole. “I’ve got sick of seeing you crying.He can have a turn.”

Aden had been struggling to move, to get free, all the way through the conversation.Seeing Gardy about to fire, he pushed his toes down against the floor, trying to get some sort of purchase.Just as Gardy pulled the trigger, he pushed himself forward, sliding in front of Nicole.The bullet impacted and he lay there, still, blood pouring from the wound to his abdomen.

“Aden!”Nicole shrieked in horror.

Gardy laughed again.“Oh, that is brilliant.Couldn’t have planned it better myself.”He looked at Aden’s fluttering eyelids, as he struggled to stay conscious.“And he might even live long enough to see you get it.” He aimed the gun at her head.

The warehouse door burst open, flooding them with light.Squinting, Nicole made out the familiar figures of Charlie and Angelo as they rushed in, guns pointed at Gardy.“Drop the weapon!”Charlie shouted.

“Yeah, I’m a bit busy,”Gardy bit back, seeming unconcerned.

“Drop the weapon!”Charlie repeated,“If you do anything other than drop the weapon, we will open fire.”

Gardy looked back over his shoulder at her.He didn’t seem afraid, just curious.“You wouldn’t.”

There was an edge to Charlie’s words.“After what you did to my dad?After what you did to my daughter? You just give me an excuse.”

Gardy looked her in the eye, saw the steel there.Then he shrugged, place the gun carefully on the floor and raised his hands.“Game over,”he remarked casually.A moment later, Angelo was behind him, cuffing him.

Nicole struggled against her bonds, trying to reach Aden, lying bleeding only a few inches away from her. “Aden!”she shouted again,“Someone, help him!”

Charlie hurried over, checked Aden over for a moment, then spoke into her radio.“We need an ambulance out here, fast.”

Thanks for all your comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 17

Nicole hadn’t moved from the waiting room since Aden had been taken into theatre.Miles was sitting next to her, in a wheelchair.Despite only being in the operating room himself a few hours earlier, when he’d heard what had happened he’d persuaded Nurse Julie to wheel him down there so he could sit with her.

Charlie came down the corridor quietly, looking as though she was afraid she was intruding.“How’s Aden?”

Nicole didn’t want to answer, to give voice to her fears, so she was grateful when Miles spoke instead. “The bullet didn’t hit any vital organs but he’s lost a lot of blood.They’re trying to control it now.”

Charlie nodded in understanding.She leaned in closer to Nicole, her voice gentle.“Nicole?”Nicole turned slightly to look at her.“The city police have been round to your mother’s place.”

“She’s dead, isn’t she?”Nicole asked weakly.

“Yes, I’m afraid so.They found her drowned in the pool, she’d been there about a week.He tricked his way into the house and then held her underwater.”She hesitated.“If it helps, he didn’t do anything else.”

Nicole didn’t answer.A few weeks ago, the news would have overwhelmed her with grief.But now…now she just felt numb.

“What’s happening with Gardy?”Miles asked.

“He’s been telling us all about it for the last few hours,”Charlie noted,“I don’t think he cares anymore, it’s like it was all a game to him and now it’s over.He’ll be charged with four counts of murder and anything else we can think of.I think it’s almost certain he’ll spend the rest of his life in jail.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m sorry to hear that.”

Charlie looked back at Nicole again.“Nicole…it’s Ruby.”Nicole turned at the name.“She’s come round. She’s asking to see you.”

Nicole shook her head slightly.“I’m…I’m not sure.”

“Please.It’d mean a lot to her.”

Nicole looked questioningly at Miles, who nodded, placing a reassuring hand on her arm.“You go,”he told her,“I’ll let you know if there’s any news about Aden.”

Nicole nodded in acceptance and followed Charlie back down the corridor.

Ruby was sitting up in bed when Nicole came in.Although her face was still bruised and her head still bandaged, she was looking a lot better than she had done when Nicole had last seen her.It was hard to believe it was only a few hours ago.So much had happened.

Ruby offered her a weak smile.“Hey.”

“Hey yourself,”Nicole replied, her tone as friendly as she could manage but without the smile.She sat down on the bed, touching Ruby’s hand lightly.“I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Charlie’s filled me in on everything that’s happened.Are you okay?”

“Barely a scratch on me.”

“And she told me that…that you know.About what happened with me and Aden.More of Gardy’s photos, huh?”She swallowed nervously.“Nic, I’m so sorry…”

“You don’t have to be sorry,”Nicole told her wearily.

“But I do!I mean, what sort of friend am I to…”

“Ruby, your dad’s dead,”Nicole interrupted, her sympathetic tone softening the harshness of the words, “So are my parents, so’s Aden’s brother.I…I haven’t got the energy to waste it hating you.I need you as a friend too much for that.”

“I just…I don’t want this to spoil things for you.For you and Aden.”

Nicole shook her head.“There is no me and Aden.Not like that.”

“But there should be,”Ruby insisted.She paused.“It’s not like he’s in love with me.”

“He’s not in love with me either,”Nicole pointed out.

“I…I think he is.”

Nicole looked at her sceptically.“Did he tell you that?”

“No, but…he looked guilty afterwards.Like he was thinking of someone else.Was he like that with you?”

Nicole thought for a moment.“No.Not this time.”She shook her head, clearing the thought.“You just get better, okay?Aden and I can sort ourselves out.”

They’d tried to talk her into leaving, into going home, but every attempt at threat or persuasion had been pushed aside.In the end, Miles and Rachel had concluded that staying might do her good.She’d stayed sat beside his bed ever since he came out of theatre, until finally she’d fallen asleep, her head resting on his body.

She was woken by a hand slightly nudging her head and looked up to see Aden, grinning at her cheekily. “Got my own private nurse.Things are looking up.”

Nicole couldn’t help smiling.“If you’re making bad jokes, you must be okay.”

He winced slightly.“Not sure if I feel it.What do the doctors say?”

“They say…they say they had to give you, like, a hundred transfusions but everything’s back where it should be now.”She paused.“Mum’s dead.”It was the first time she’d said the words.Made it seem a bit more real.

There was genuine sympathy in his eyes.“Oh god, I’m sorry, Nic.”

She shook her head.“It’s okay.”It wasn’t.But that was one pain too many for her to face at the moment. “Ruby’s going to be fine.”

The news didn’t seem to put him at ease.“Look, what happened…”

“It’s okay.We’ve talked it over, it’s fine.”

A strident female voice stopped Aden from answering.“Ah, yes, I thought I’d find you both together.”

Nicole turned at Morag’s voice and only just stifled a gasp, as she saw her for the first time since she’d been back.There were livid red and white scars crossing the side of her face where she’d been burnt, with the occasional patch of burnt skin.“Morag…”

Morag waved a hand airily.“Oh, this.I’ve spoken to a plastic surgeon, he’s convinced he can get me back to how I was.I warned him that I was no oil painting beforehand but he insists.”She paused, holding her left hand still so Nicole could get a good look at it for the first time.It was yellow and withered, left misshapen by the fire.“I’ve been told that there’s some nerve damage and I’ll probably never regain full function in it but…”

“It’s hard to believe Gardy hurt so many people just to punish us,”Nicole said quietly.

“Now, now.”Morag placed a hand on Nicole’s arm, another one on Aden’s.“None of that.David Gardiner is a very twisted individual and his actions were his fault and his alone.And I’ll be all right and you two and Ruby and Miles.It could have been a lot worse.”Her voice faltered slightly.“I admit I will miss Ross.And Roman.But we owe it to them to carry on with our lives and not let this destroy us.Don’t you think?”

It took Nicole a second to realise she was expecting an answer.“Guess so,”she said at last.

“Good.”Morag kissed Nicole on the side of the head before looking at Aden.“I take it you don’t want me to kiss you?”

“You’re all right,”Aden confirmed.

“Thought so.”She patted him on the shoulder.“Look after yourselves, both of you.”

“She’s right,”Aden said, after Morag had left.

Nicole looked back at him.“What about?”

“About us carrying on with our lives.Nic…this last year or so, it’s been a pretty bad one for me.Some bad things have happened, I’ve made some bad choices.The only time I’ve been happy, truly happy, since Belle died, was when I was with you.”

Nicole caught her breath, unsure how to react.“Aden…”

He took her hand, stroking it gently.“What happened with Ruby, it meant nothing.Literally.It didn’t change anything for either of us.And…it happened like that once before, after Belle died, I went out, I picked up this girl, I slept with her and it didn’t change a thing.And…it’s never been like that with you.It’s always meant something.You make me happy, Nic.I want…I want to be with you.”

He pulled her towards him and kissed her.She surrendered to the kiss, softening in his embrace.Then she pulled away, shaking her head.“Aden, no, I can’t put myself through that again.”

He looked at her, stricken.“Nic…”

“I’m sorry, I can’t do this.”She hurried from the room.

Once out in the corridor, she leaned back against the wall, brushing tears from her eyes.This was ridiculous, she told herself.Her mother had died and she hadn’t shed a tear over her, now she was crying because she’d had to turn Aden down again?What was wrong with her?

Rachel saw her and stopped close by.“Nicole?Is something the matter?”

She shook her head abruptly.“No, I’m fine.”

Rachel seemed to consider pressing the matter for a moment before going on.“I’ve been putting off telling you but…you know that blood test we did on you?The results have, well, they’ve turned up something we weren’t expecting.”

Nicole’s tears stopped and she looked at Rachel anxiously.“What do you mean?Is something wrong?”

Rachel hesitated for a moment.“Let’s discuss it somewhere private,”she said at last.

Thank you for all the comments, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 18

Miles was sat in the corner again, in a wheelchair still.Nicole was glad for his presence.She didn’t want to have to deal with this alone.They’d both sat in silence as Rachel carried out the procedure, then turned the screen towards Nicole.“There.”

Nicole stared at the image, not entirely certain what she was seeing.“Are you sure?”

Rachel nodded.“That’s your baby.”

Nicole looked at the image again, feeling a stirring of emotion.Seeing it made it seem a bit more concrete. Although she had to admit, the evidence was less than conclusive.“It doesn’t look much like a baby.More like a kind of…white blob.”

Rachel smiled gently at her.“Well, you’re still in the early stages of pregnancy.By the time you get to twelve weeks, the foetus will look a bit more babylike.”

“How pregnant am I exactly?”

“Well, I can’t be certain but from the ultrasound I’d say about four weeks.”Rachel looked at Nicole, who just gave a brief nod of understanding.“How about I leave you alone for a moment to talk about things?”

Miles waited until Rachel had left the room before trying to push his wheelchair in the direction of the bed where Nicole was lying.It didn’t move.He looked down at it in puzzlement, then he shrugged, as if deciding to forget about the idea.“How are you feeling?”

“Confused.I mean, the timing couldn’t be worse.And a bit scared.Scared of being pregnant, scared of being a mother, scared of how Aden will react…”

“Because it isn’t his?”

“Because it is.”Nicole gave him a weary look.“Four weeks, Miles.”

He made a mental check then nodded in understanding.“Roman’s funeral.But hey, Aden might react well.”

“I’m sure he will,”Nicole agreed,“I’m sure he’ll want us to get back together, raise this baby as a couple.”

“And that’s a bad thing because..?”

“Because I don’t want us getting back together just because of the baby.”

Miles thought about this.“Didn’t you say he asked you to get back with him anyway?”

“Yes…”

“So it won’t be just because of the baby.”

Nicole sighed.“He doesn’t mean it, he’s just feeling scared, like I am.In a few days, he’ll realise that.But if we had a baby together, he’d want to follow through.And I don’t want that.Not when he doesn’t love me.”

Miles looked at her for a moment.“Are you sure about that?”

Nicole hesitated.“He’s never said he does.”

“Nicole, the guy took a bullet for you.He doesn’t need to tell you he loves you.He’s shown you.”

Nicole shook her head.“Aden would do that for anyone.”

“Right, yeah.I’m sure if it had been Colleen or John Palmer or even someone loveable like me staring down that gun, Aden would have leapt straight in there.Can you just talk to him?”

“No, not now.I…I just want to get home.”

Miles nodded in acceptance.“I’d offer you a lift but I think Rachel wants to get me back in bed.”He considered what he’d just said for a moment.“Hospital bed.”

“It’s okay, I’ll ring Mr.Stewart and get him to give me a lift.”Nicole slid off the bed and gave Miles a kiss on the cheek before heading for the door.

“Nicole!”he called after her, causing her to pause in the doorway.He gave her an awkward smile.“Just remember…whatever happens with Aden, you’re not going to be alone.”

Aden paused by the door, unsure if he’d be welcome, if she’d want to see him.Then he sighed, rapped on it once and went in.

Ruby was sitting up in bed, her bandages removed but a faint bruise remaining.He could see where her hair had been cut away by the neurosurgeons.She looked surprised but not entirely displeased to see him. “Aden!I didn’t know they’d let you out of bed.”

He smiled slightly, relieved at the lack of tension.“Yeah, they’ve told me I can go home.What about you?”

“This afternoon, hopefully.”

Aden fidgeted slightly.“Do I need to apologise?”

She looked back at him levelly.“I don’t know.Do you?”

“Well, I mean, what we did kind of made you a target…”

“We were both to blame for that.”

“…and if you think I didn’t treat you very well afterwards, that I used you…”

“I think we kind of used each other.”

He thought for a moment then nodded.“Yeah, probably.”It took him a few seconds more to ask “Have you seen anything of Nicole?”

“Not for the last few days,”Ruby admitted,“You?”

“She was there when I came round but…not since, no.”

“Well, you can go and see her yourself now you’re out.”

“Yeah, maybe.”He didn’t sound very sure about it.

“Aden, we’ve all lost our families in this.If you two can manage to work things through, doesn’t that mean something good’s come out of it?”

Aden hesitated for a moment then Tony appeared next to him in the doorway.“Hey, mate, you ready for that lift?”He sensed the tension in the air.“Sorry, have I interrupted something?”

Aden shook his head abruptly.“Nah.”He glanced in Ruby’s direction.“See you around.”He headed out into the corridor, Tony following him.

“Something on your mind, mate?”Tony asked.

Aden looked at him for a moment.“Look, Tony…I just wanted to say thanks for looking out for me these last few weeks.I’ve appreciated it.”

“Well, you’re welcome but…why does this sound like goodbye?”

For a moment he didn’t think Aden was going to answer.Then he shrugged.“Not a lot to stick around for.”

“Well, I can think of a few things.In fact, we can stop on by the caravan park if you like, you might find one of them there.”

Aden shook his head.“I’ll go straight home, thanks.”

Thanks, everyone, for your comments, hope you like this.

CHAPTER 19

Nicole was halfway down the stairs when she heard the two voices from the living room:one male, one female.“So how is she?”the woman was saying.

“I don’t think she’s quite decided what to do yet,”the man replied,“The last few weeks have taken it out of her a bit.”

“Do you think I should talk to her?”

“Well, I’m sure she’d be pleased to…”

Nicole bounded down the last few stairs and hurried into the lounge.“Sally?!”She ran up to the older woman and threw her arms round her.

Miles stood off to one side, looking bemused.“I never get hugged like that.”

“She sees you all the time,”Sally pointed out.

Nicole took Sally’s hands, smiling.“What are you doing here?”

“Well, Cassie’s home from the hospital and I was curious to know how this all turns out so I left her looking after Summer and Pippa and took the first flight over here.”

Nicole glanced at Miles.“How much has he told you?”

“I mentioned about the…”Miles made a gesture indicating an expanding stomach.

“Have you told anyone else?”Sally asked.

Nicole shook her head.“Just you two and Rachel.”

“Well, I guess you’re going to need time to get your head around it.Have you any idea how you feel about it all?”

For a moment Nicole wasn’t sure how to respond, then she sighed.“Confused.”She took a deep breath. “I’m having Aden’s baby.”

“Is that a happy thing or..?”

“Yeah,”Nicole decided after a moment,“I guess so but…”

“You’re worried about how he’ll react?”Miles supplied.

“That’s about it.”

“You’re going to need to tell him some time,”Sally pointed out.

“And he is out of hospital now,”Miles added.

Nicole looked from one to the other.“Are you ganging up on me?”

Miles glanced at Sally.“Are we doing that?”

“I think we might,”Sally agreed.

Nicole sighed.“I know he needs to know but…everything that’s happened, don’t you think I should wait before dropping this one on him?”

Miles considered this.“You know, I think you may have a point.”He placed the cereal packet in front of her.“You can tell him after breakfast.”

“Can I come in?”

Aden looked at Nicole in surprise, perhaps a little uncertain, before finally stepping to one side.“Yeah, sure.”

She stood in the centre of the lounge, not sure what to say next.“How are you?”

“A few twinges, nothing serious.Look, Nic, I was going to come and see you…”

“I’m pregnant.”She hadn’t wanted to blurt it out like that but all the speeches she had planned somehow didn’t seem appropriate.

She saw the contemptuous look appear on his face as he processed the information.“So that’s it, is it? You’ve got someone else on the go.What, you were just stringing me along?”

“I’m four weeks pregnant!”Nicole snapped back,“Work it out for yourself.”

He stopped, staring at her, his demeanour changing back just as abruptly as it had in the first place.“It’s our baby?”

“It’s not like either of us grabbed any protection.”

He took a step towards her, placing his hands on her arms.“Then…what’s the problem?”

She put her own hands on him, not pushing him away but stopping him moving closer.“The problem…the problem’s you and me.We don’t work together.”

“What are you talking about?We get on good, we get on great.”

“Then why did you leave town?”

The sarcasm had been intended as gentle but it just seemed to make him angry.“I dunno, maybe ’cos you broke up with me?”

“I broke up with you because we weren’t working!”

“Oh, right, you just decided that, did you?”He let go of her, turning away angrily.“You were the one good thing in my life, Nic!”he snapped when he finally turned round,“And you took that away from me because…what?I wasn’t being all happy and smiling with you when my dad had just died?”

“See, this is what I’m saying!”she returned,“You really want to bring up a baby like this?The two of us at each other’s throats?”

“So what, you’re telling me I can’t be a part of my baby’s life?”

“No…”She considered for a moment.“I’m telling you you can’t be part of mine.I guess we’ll have to work out some sort of arrangement.One that sees us having as little to do with each other as possible.”

She stormed past him out of the house.And didn’t see that the expression on his face was as unhappy as the one on hers.

Thank you so much for the comments on the last chapter, sorry it's been a bit of a long wait but I hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 20

“You’re seriously pregnant?”

Nicole rolled her eyes.“No, Romeo, I just said it for a laugh.”

The two of them were sat at the breakfast table with Miles and Sally.Romeo held his hands up in mock surrender.“Okay, just checking.”He paused for a moment.“Are you scared or..?”

“What of?The giving birth part or the having a baby at the end of it part?”

“Both, I guess.”

Nicole gave a rueful smile.“Then…both.”

“But we’re all going to be there for her,”Miles told Romeo sternly,“Right?”

“Yeah, of course.”Romeo suddenly seemed to start slightly.“Aden?”

“Yes, Aden’s the father,”Nicole confirmed,“But we’re not…”

“No, I mean”-Romeo gestured behind her-“Aden.”

Nicole, Miles and Sally all looked round to see Aden standing in the doorway, looking uncomfortable. “Hey, Romeo, Miles.”He noticed Sally and seemed to become even more uncomfortable.“Miss Fletcher.”

“I guess you’d better call me Sally,”she suggested awkwardly.

“Um, if you two want to be alone,”Miles offered, gesturing to Aden and Nicole.

Aden shook his head.“No, we’re good.I just…I want to do it right this time.”

“Do what right?”Nicole asked.

“Leaving.I’m going to go back to the city, maybe to uni, maybe try and get another job.But…I don’t want to leave without making things up with you.I mean…I’m going to stay in touch this time and I’m going to be there for you and the baby, I mean, I’m going to be a father.And…you know, anything you want just ask, okay?I want to be involved.”

“Yeah, of course,”Nicole agreed, not really sure what else to say.

He walked over to her and kissed her, the kiss restrained by the fact they had company but still warm and intimate.He gave her an awkward smile.“I’ll call you.”

Nicole waited until he’d left, until the sympathetic gazes of the others had rested upon her, before pushing her chair away from the table.“Excuse me,”she said quietly before hurrying out onto the back porch.

She’d expected someone to come after her but she hadn’t expected it to be Sally.“Are you okay?”

Nicole wiped a hand across her eyes, getting rid of the tears.“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

Sally fidgeted for a moment.“You know…if you don’t want Aden to go, you should tell him.”

“Of course I don’t want him to go,”Nicole admitted,“But we’ve only just got back on good terms, I don’t want to mess it up again by dragging him into something he doesn’t want.”

“Maybe I’m missing something here but from the look of that kiss, I think it’s something he wants.”

Nicole gave a slight smile but it soon disappeared.“He doesn’t love me like he loved Belle.”

“Well, of course not, you’re not Belle.It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t care about you or want to be with you just as much.”

“He’s never told me he loves me.Not even when I asked him.”

Sally grew sombre for a moment.“Shortly after my husband Flynn died, I met someone else, Brad, Rachel’s brother.And we realised we liked each other and he moved in and he asked me to marry him and I ended up saying yes.But in the end, even though I did love him, I realised I wasn’t ready to marry him, to be married to someone other than Flynn.”

“Is that supposed to encourage me?”

“The thing is…even though I wasn’t ready then, I wasn’t ready to let go of Flynn just like maybe Aden wasn’t ready to let go of Belle last year, I do sometimes think about the future and think maybe I will get married again one day.And I did love Brad, even though getting married wasn’t the right thing for us.So… maybe you need to take a chance with Aden.Isn’t it better if you give it a go and it doesn’t work out than if you just give up and lose out anyway?”

“But it’s not as simple as that.”

“No, maybe not, but…we both know we don’t get to spend nearly enough time with the people we love. Don’t be so quick to walk away from this one.”

“I don’t want you to go.”

Nicole had intended to say more than that, not to just barge into the house and declare it.But somehow it just felt best to get to the point.Aden looked mildly bemused.“Okay…”

“But I don’t want you to stay for the wrong reasons.”The second comment seemed to bring him up short slightly, the atmosphere suddenly becoming slightly uncomfortable.“Can we sit down?”

“Yeah, sure,”he agreed and they moved over to the couch.

“I love you,”she said quietly.She saw him become uncomfortable, sensing what was coming.“Being with you, it’s what I’ve wanted most for as long as I can remember.But I don’t want you to be with me because of the baby or because you’re scared of being alone or because you like me a bit and you’re willing to settle for that.I want you to be with me because you love me.”She paused, knowing once the words came out there was no going back.“Do you love me?”

She saw that panic in his eyes, that realisation that he’d have to make a commitment he wasn’t ready for. She felt her heart sink.She’d have been better off staying away.

She made to get up.“Then I guess we’ll just have to…”

He caught hold of her wrist, stopping her.There was a pleading look in his eyes, begging her to stay, to understand.She sat back down, sitting there quietly as he gathered his thoughts.“The only person I’ve ever said ‘I love you’ to was Belle,”he said slowly.

“I understand that…”

“No.You don’t.I’ve never said it to anyone else.Not my parents, not my brothers, not any other girl.”He looked right at her for a moment and she felt something in the gaze, something she’d never felt from him, from anyone, before.“Not even when it was true.”She caught her breath but then he was looking away from her again.“I know I’m not the only person she said it to and I know I’m not the only person you’ve said it to.But…I was a mess when I got together with Belle and she saw that and she still told me she loved me. And I didn’t hesitate to say it back because I knew if she could love me despite all that then she’d never leave me.And then she did.”

Nicole grasped his hand gently.“She didn’t want to leave you, if she could have stayed…”

He nodded slowly.“I know.But…it took so much for me to admit that I loved Belle, to take that risk, to believe that it was forever.I’m not sure I can do that again.I’m not ready for it.”He placed a hand gently against her stomach, touching the life they’d made together.“What I want more than anything right now is for us to be a family.You and this baby…you’re the most important people in this world to me.But I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to tell you what you want to hear.”

Nicole could feel tears in her eyes, whether out of sadness or joy or some strange combination of the two she couldn’t tell.“I guess you’ll have to show me then,”she said quietly.

Aden looked at her, uncertain.“How?”

She lent forward and kissed him, gently and tentatively.He accepted the kiss and then responded to it, the embrace growing more intense, more intimate, as they gave in to their longing for each other’s bodies.And in those next few minutes, lying in his arms, she realised she had never felt so loved in her life.

Archived