Jessica Watson's arrival Home

Guest John

I have been following this remarkable young lady's progress over the last several months. She's really shown her critics.

She's currently approaching Sydney Heads and is expected to come back through the heads around 11am. Boats are already gathering on the harbour and people are setting up chairs on the Harbourside.

This girl is so inspiring. In an age where young people misguidedly place their admiration in 'celebrities' it was so encouraging to hear the flood of emails this morning and comments from little kids saying how she was their role model and hero. She embodies Australian ideals perfectly and to decide at 11 that she wanted to sail around the world and keep that focus for the next 5 years is remarkable. The maturity she shows is particularly amazing for someone so young and without even knowing her I am incredibly proud. Go Jess!

Can I make a bold prediction that she will be nominated for Young Australian of the Year for 2011.... and she will probably win too. She has done so much for encouraging young women to follow their dreams and to sail solo. I wonder if she will continue to promote the sport, do inspirational talks around the country etc or will she continue with her schooling?? Either way, I'm sure that this won't be the last that we'll hear about this brave young lady.

What an amazing inspiration for people of all ages. Congratulations to her - she completely deserved that huge welcoming home in Sydney! Wow, she's only 16. I would NEVER have been brave enough to sail around the world for seven months by myself when I was 16. Congrats Jess!

Archived