Kate tells: I Want My Old Life Back

Guest defying_gravity

I don't know how to work my scanner but i'll type the article up 4 u!

Kate tells: I Want My Old Life Back

Gold Logie-winner Kate Ritchie is in turmoil as she reaches a crossroads on her career and love-life

As Kate Ritchie strolled the cobbed streets of Europe on a well-earned break she may have been reflecting on her tumultuous year- and whether she should return to her first love, television.

It's been less than six months since the former Home and Away star said goodbye to the show on which she grew up, and the cast and crew, whom she regarded as family.

'Despite the fact it only had three walls, that house existed for me,' 29-year-old Kate explains. 'I grew up there.'

Even as she prepared to leave Summer Bay, Kate's private world had crumbled after a split up with her long-time love, rugby league star Chris Walker.

She then embarked on a radio career- co-hosting a breakfast show on Nova with Merrick and Rosso - and now another romance, which has now ended, with pro-skateboarder Corbin Harris.

Now, however, her thoughts are focused on making a TV comeback. An offer is looming to star in an updated version of the 1970s drama The Young Doctors.

Certainly the producers, although still in the early stages of scripting and character development for the show due to hit screens next year, have Kate set in their sights.

A spokesperson for Freemantle Media, which is producing the new program, says: 'It's early days, but Kate Ritchie would be at the top of any wish list for a launching Australian drama.'

No formal approaches have been made to her agent, but Kate's friends say she's keeping her options open.

'Let's just say Kate's very interested in all television offers,' a source said. 'She would be very keen on going back on television.'

Kate herself provided a tantalising key to her hopes for the future when speaking after winning the TV Week Gold Logie last May. She said:'Everyone's saying: "Won't it be nice to end your career in TV?" I'm like, hang on, when did I say I wanted my television career to end?'

Rumors she'll return to our screens have been fuelled by reports of friction between her and her radio co-stars. Publicly, Kate says this isn't true and she loves working on radio. Privately, she's told pals she finds exposing herself as Kate, rather than being a character, 'very different' to acting.

Being live on air when the news of her former co-star Heath Ledger's death broke was particuarly difficult. 'It was a really hard say,' Kate admits. 'Just so sad.'

A friend says" 'Acting's always been her first love. Let's face it, she grew up on TV- TV and acting are where her heart is.'

Meanwhile, Kate's managed to keep her personal life out of the public eye. She was reportedly dating Parramatta Eels rugby league player Eric Grothe Jnr and she's now enjoying spending time with St George Illawarra star Stuart Webb.

Kate took her recent trip to Europe alone but is still seeing Stuart, who she regards as 'good fun', friends say.

'I don't think she wants to take anything or anyone too seriously,' Kate's friend says. 'She's young, and single and just wants to keep her options open.'

But her holiday in Europe without a partner might be the biggest clue of all.

'She wanted some time to think. She's had a very big year,' one friend says. 'She's come back rejuventated and raring to go- whether in radio, which she does enjoy, or to face a new challenge in television.'

Archived