The War is Over - Blu-ray vs HD DVD

Guest Dan F

For all you technology geeks like myself, here's the story :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7252172.stm

It's become increasingly obvious in recent times that Blu-ray would eventually triumph - the amount of studios that were adopting the format (only 2 of the big studios fully went for HD - Universal and Paramount), coupled with the fact that you can fit more on Blu-ray

I know Blu-ray has it's advantages for some people... but what ever happened to just being able to watch a movie? I don't want to feel like "I'm experiencing the whole movie" - I just want to watch the damn thing. :P I'm sticking to DVD, thank you. Blu-ray is more-or-less the same, just clearer and twice the price. -_-

I'm sure people probably said the same about DVD's when comparing them to their VHS tapes :P

I imagine in a couple of years when all the prices drop down etc. with the growing trend of HD TV's then it will probably be a pretty commonplace thing :wink:

In the next couple of years I'm going to have to move up to HD, and already people are expecting the availability of Blu-ray when it comes to corporate videos etc. One of the main reasons I'm interested in it I guess :wink:

I know Blu-ray has it's advantages for some people... but what ever happened to just being able to watch a movie? I don't want to feel like "I'm experiencing the whole movie" - I just want to watch the damn thing. :P I'm sticking to DVD, thank you. Blu-ray is more-or-less the same, just clearer and twice the price. -_-

LOL. That is so true. And i'm the same.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even know why on earth we had the format war - Bluray was clearly fare superior from the start - anything with more space is always going to have victory in the digital world because it means more video and higher quality.

And yes you can watch normal dvds in most bluray drives. Expect blueray players to hit the $200 mark really soon.

Archived