Having Faith

Guest -ParaisGal-

Chapter Thirty One

Martha smiled as she watched Callie run around, playing games with her little sister, Kiah. A year had passed since she told Summer Bay she was four months pregnant. Now, her little son, Rory Jack Holden, was six and a half months. Kiah was in her terrible two’s stage, and Callie was the normal, sweet little girl that Martha had called her own for the past two years. She gently put Rory in his little crib, before heading over to Kiah and Callie “You two, no more fighting!” She ordered, happy with her little family. She proudly wore the wedding ring every day, and she’d never removed it. She looked up at the television, as it showed some criminal.

“Dennis Gillan and his accomplices, who ran a massive drug company, have finally all been caught. Gillan got caught out going to a shed that had been reported under suspicious circumstances, the shed which had files of all his fellow workmates, and they’ve all been caught. New South Wales is a lot safer off with Gillan and the rest of his crew behind bars. They have destroyed many families, and finally many of the families have a chance at revenge.”

Martha listened to the TV report, if Jack was here he’d be sorting that out she thought to herself, before clearing her head of all thoughts. Jack wouldn’t necessarily have been working on that case, so it didn’t matter. She sighed, clearing up the mess from lunch and was about to start washing up when she heard Callie calling her, and Kiah’s giggles so she went outside and smiled at Kiah hosing down her older sister, Callie screaming out for her to stop and begging Martha to help. Martha smiled as she grabbed a bucket and tipped it on Kiah, laughing as her daughter turned around, but her laughter turned to a scream when Kiah turned around, hose in hand, and saturated Martha in water. She grabbed Kiah, hauling her into her arms, leaving Callie to turn off the hose as the three girls laughed as they grouped together in a big hug.

----------------------

“That is the last water fight for a while we are having.” Martha said, her voice showing her energy, she sounded happy.

“It was fun though mum!” Callie said, smiling. She was in grade two and loving it. She loved her little sister and little brother. She smiled as she helped Kiah get a top on. Martha had showered and dried them, so now they were settled. She heard a knock “I’ll get it!” She said, rushing to the door.

It was Peter “Hello Callie!” He greeted the small child “Where’s mum?” He asked.

“In here.” Callie said, pulling him into the room. Peter was a family friend, and he’d supported Martha during her hard time, making sure she was always financially secure. Peter was to be Jack’s best man at the wedding, it had already been arranged and everything was slowly getting ready, but it was not to be.

“Hey, Martha. Would we be able to talk, in private?” He asked, unsure.

“Of course Pete. Callie, take Kiah into your room sweetheart.” She said, ushering the small children away.

“First of all, how’s Rory going? Still treating you well?” He asked, smiling.

“He’s great, I wish Jack could see him but I know that isn’t possible.”

“Not necessarily.” Peter said, looking a bit hesitant.

“Excuse me? Pete Jack’s dead!” She exclaimed.

“No, Martha, he’s not. He’s in witness protection. You may have heard about Dennis Gillan, a local crook that was on the telly and radio and everything. Jack’s family was one of the families affected, and when he got bashed we saw it as the perfect opportunity to take him under. I was there when Jack woke up, he was heartbroken about leaving you but I told him frankly if he wanted you and the girls to be safe then he had to go, and he stayed under. But, Gillan’s been caught now, and we’ve checked every angle. Jack doesn’t know about Rory, or your last pregnancy. I decided that you should be the one to tell him.” He said gently.

Martha sat, stunned. She couldn’t believe it, Jack, alive? Jack her fiancé/husband alive . She looked at Peter “All this time you’ve known?” She said softly “Why couldn’t you let me in on it?” She asked.

“We’ve had leaks in witness protection before and we couldn’t risk it. He wasn’t aiming at Jack directly, moreso Jack’s partner, Billy Jeffreys. Jack may have spoken about him. Well, fourteen months ago Billy was killed by Gillan, and we knew that Gillan would come after Jack. He didn’t know Jack directly but he knew that Billy had a partner, and we knew he’d do whatever he could to find that partner. So, when Jack got bashed, the easiest thing to do was hide his signs, drug him. He was really bleeding internally, but that was all fine. He’s thrilled to be allowed out, and dying to see you and the kids. And I’m sure you’re dying to tell him about Rory.” He said, smiling at her.

“Yeah, I am, I just can’t believe that Jack is back, that’s all. It’s so hard to get my head around. I have to tell the girls, they’ll be delighted. I can’t believe it Pete; I’m finally getting him back!” She said, delighted.

“He’ll be here at 6PM, sharp. He needs it to be dark, and he’ll probably be staying inside for a while, and I’m sure he’ll want to get to know his beautiful son.” He said “And I know he’ll be so proud of how you’ve coped, Martha. You’ve done amazingly well, better than I thought you would. You’ve coped, alone, with a pregnancy and two children under five, then three under six. And seeing as its 3:30, you’ll be seeing him in about two and a half hours.” He said.

Martha squealed, unable to believe it.

“I’ll be back at seven thirty.” Pete promised, before heading out the door.

“CALLIE! KIAH!” She yelled, thrilled.

------------------------

Callie was pacing the room, filled with joy. Pete had said that Jack would head over to Tony’s after, so he’d send her in first. It was six, and Callie was restless. Suddenly the door opened “DAD!” She screamed, racing to him and throwing herself into his arms.

“CALLIE!” He said loudly back, grabbing her and holding her tightly. He saw little Kiah waddling towards him “Kiah!” He said, holding her.

“Dada!” She squealed, recognising him.

“Yes, baby girl daddy’s home!” He said, smiling “Martha!” He called excitedly. He saw her heading out of the room, he was ready to jump at her but she seemed rather serious.

“Jack!” She said, throwing her arms around him “I missed you.” She said softly.

“I miss you too, beautiful, but I had to.”

“I know.” She said softly “Jack there’s something I have to tell you.” She said.

“What?” He asked, kissing her.

“Well, a month and a half after you ‘died’, I found out I was four months pregnant.” She said, looking up at his surprised face “Six and a half months ago, I delivered the baby. Jack, you have a son. Rory Jack Holden.” She said, smiling at him.

“Are you serious?” He asked, his face full of disbelief.

“Yes. Stay here, sit down, I’ll go get him.” She said, hurrying out of the room. Soon she came back, holding the five month old baby securely in her arms “Jack, meet your son.” She said, sniffing lightly.

He gently took the baby from her arms, a tear falling from his eyes. This was the surprised Peter had told him about, his son. His beautiful and beloved son, he knew he’d never want to be parted from him, and he wished he’d been there for Martha during his delivery “If only I’d known.” He whispered softly, his voice cracking.

“You couldn’t have come Jack.” She said softly.

“I know, and Martha I want to say, I’m proud of you. Most women wouldn’t have coped this well, pregnancy, newborn, plus two other kids. I love you so much and that will never change.” He said, kissing her gently before happily cuddling up, with Callie and Kiah in Martha’s lap, and Rory in Jack’s arms.

“I missed this.” She said softly.

“I missed you all too!” Jack said, openly showing his tears.

“Is daddy back for good?” Came a sleepy Callie’s voice.

“Yes sweetie, daddy’s never leaving you, ever again.” Came Jack’s gentle voice.

NEXT TIME: How does Tony and the rest of the bay react to the news of Jack’s ‘ressurection’?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Thirty One

Martha slowly opened her eyes, taking in the room around her, and turning, expecting to find an empty space, but then she remembered. Jack had come back to her. He hadn’t left her, and he was fine. She’d decided never to let him out of her sight again, and she smiled as she remembered what had taken place last night. She lay, staring at him for what seemed like hours but was really only about twenty minutes. She noticed him wake up and she smiled as she moved closer to him, wrapping her arms around him “Morning.” She said, smiling softly at her fiancé.

“Good morning, I missed waking up with you.” He said, smiling at his fiancé “I had no idea how long I was going to be gone for, or even if I’d ever see you again. For all I knew, Gillan could have found me and murdered me any second, but one of the best things was knowing that you and the kids weren’t in any danger. I would’ve done anything to make sure you were all safe.” He said, kissing her forehead.

“I missed waking up with you too.” She assured him.

“I did have one fear, though. A fear that you would eventually move on, and I knew that if you did move on, when I did come back, I’d have lost everything, I’d have lost one of the most important parts of my life, my beautiful fiancé.” He said softly “And then I wouldn’t be waking up with you, soothing you when you were sad and upset or helping you with the kids early in the morning. He would be doing that.” He said sadly.

“Jack, look at my hand.” She said softly, showing him her hand, where her wedding ring was “I went out and bought the wedding ring that we picked for me, I brought the one that we picked together, we picked both of ours as one, and so I stayed with that. Yes, I did have one guy who seemed very keen on me, and didn’t seem to care that I was a mother-of-three. He was rather determined, in fact, for me to go out with him. He met me about two months ago, and he said that he thought that around a year was long enough mourning. I told him I wasn’t interested, and that the only person who would ever have my heart would be you. However he continually flirted with me, annoyingly. One day he was pressuring me, and I was lucky that Luc came along when he did. He saw what he was doing and saw that I wasn’t okay with it, and he grabbed the guy off me and threw him hard against a wall, and started yelling at him. He even punched the guy; your dad was helping me and also trying to restrain Lucas at the same time.” She said smiling.

“I can’t believe you had to go through with that! Thank god Luc and Dad were there when they were, Mac. Imagine what he could have done!” He said, starting to get a bit angry as he sat up.

Martha too, sat up “Jack, don’t worry about it. It’s ancient history and now that he knows your back he won’t try anything again. Luc saw him about two weeks ago, yet again trying to make a move and I think he scared him off permanently. Don’t worry, Jack. I’m fine.” She assured him “Now, I’m going to have a shower. She said, giving Jack one last quick kiss before heading towards the bathroom.

Jack sat, thinking as Martha went off. He’d had a feeling that some guy might try to make a move on her but he didn’t think someone would go that for. He knew that Martha was beautiful, she always looked full of joy and life and that other low-life would have obviously thought she was a good one to take home to show mum and dad. He knew that if he ever saw that freak, he’d make him pay.

-------------------------------------

Martha was making Callie and Kiah’s breakfast, which was toast. She quickly handed it to them, before hurrying into her room to get Rory. She picked up the gurgling six month old baby, and she put him securely in her arms before putting him in his highchair, doing her usual check to make sure the chair hadn’t come to any damage with a two year old throwing her toy bricks at it. She expertly fed him his baby food, and helped Kiah cut up her toast at the same time.

Jack watched quietly, amazed. Motherhood had definitely changed Martha, and as he watched her take care of their children, he smiled softly. It was amazing to see her so happy and so thrilled with her family, and they obviously meant a lot to her. He headed in “So how are you Callie?” He said, pulling her into his lap.

“I’m good daddy.” She said smiling “Mummy said I can have the day off school to stay with you!” She squealed happily.

“Alright, you can stay today but you’re going tomorrow.” He bargained.

“Okay daddy.” Said the agreeable six year old, spilling her juice as she poured it.

Jack got a cloth and wiped the juice away, smiling at Callie. Then he walked over and picked Callie up, sat on her chair and pulled her into his lap “Hello Kiah.” He said softly.

“Dada!” She giggled at him, not being able to fully say her words, which Martha had said often came out in a mixed bundle.

He smiled at the two year old “Yes, Kiah. Daddy’s here.” He whispered into her ear.

Martha smiled as she watched the interaction between father and daughter, she loved how close Jack was to the kids, and knew that he’d very soon form a bond with Rory, and she’d already decided to take them out to a picnic lunch “Jack I don’t think that you will be going out in public today, you’ll be raided!” She exclaimed “A lot of people asked about you and gave me sympathy, so they’ll be surprised to find you back.” She said, smiling as she picked Rory up “Jack?” She asked.

“Yeah?” He answered her.

“Want to bathe Rory?” She asked him, knowing his answer by the smile that spread across her face. She handed the small boy over to his dad, smiling as they headed out of the room.

---------------------------------------

Jack headed into their bathroom, holding his son tightly. He was thrilled at his handsome little boy, and knew that he’d been raised well already. Other kids were really whiny and grumpy but Rory seemed to be a nice, polite boy, even though he was only six months old. He turned on the water, making sure it was lukewarm, so as not to be too hot for Rory, or too cold. He quickly undressed the baby before gently lowering him into the water. He washed the baby, and then took him into him and Martha’s room, quickly dressing him in a nice outfit. He heard his father’s voice outside and was about to head out, before he realised that his dad thought he was dead, and when he heard Luc’s voice accompanying him, he knew that he couldn’t storm out. He quietly headed out, fortunately his father and brother both had their back’s to him.

Martha knew what had to be done “Tony, there’s something you need to know. Yesterday I got a visit from Peter, and he told me some startling news that at the time I struggled to believe. See, Jack was in witness protection, and he’s very much alive. In fact, he’s right behind you.” She said, pointing to her fiancé behind them.

Tony whirled around, and joy filled his face as he rushed over, Luc on his heels, to hug his son.

“Easy dad I got Rory!” He said laughing.

“My goodness!” Came Beth’s voice from the door “I heard!” She said, hugging Jack tightly. Since her and Tony became an item, she was like Jack and Luc’s mother. “Welcome back Jack.” She said, stepping back “Would you like me to alert the bay so they are prepared, Jack?” She asked.

“Thanks, that’d be good thanks Beth.” He said gratefully.

----------------------------------------

Soon everyone around Summer Bay knew the delightful news that Jack Holden wasn’t dead at all; he was very much alive. Jack had been alerted to stay inside for a little while; however he refused to do that. He was fine out in public and knew his friends would want to see him.

Jack laughed along with the small group that had gathered at his home. Many people had engulfed him in strong hugs; others had cried tears of joy at seeing the young policeman with his family, where he belonged.

Everyone was thrilled and suddenly Robbie’s voice was audible above the din “How about a party, at Noah’s tonight? He asked.

“I’m up for it!” Jack said enthusiastically.

“Alright, I’ll start organising it!” Beth said, hurrying from the room, she was thrilled to have Jack back. He was as good as her son and she’d missed him greatly.

---------------------------------------

Jack smiled, it was 8PM that night and he was sitting at the table, Martha was buying them a drink. Leah, who was having trouble with her and Dan’s three year old daughter, Olivia, had offered to mind Rory and Kiah, as they were too young to attend a late party. The couple had willingly agreed. He smiled as he saw Callie rush to him “Hey Callie.” He greeted the girl.

“Daddy, that man’s annoying mummy again.” She said, sounding worried.

Jack’s head shot upward to where his fiancé was standing, and anger filled his body. He rushed to him “What do you think you’re doing?” He hissed at the guy.

“Back off mate.” He said “I got here first.” He sneered at him.

Martha glared at him “Phillip this is my fiancé, Jack.” She snapped angrily at him.

Phillip nearly coughed up his drink “People can’t come back from the dead, Martha.” He said evenly.

“Don’t speak to her like she’s you’re friend.” Jack said, grabbing him.

“Jack don’t!” Martha’s voice rang out “Remember your daughter!” She warned him “Jack let him go!” She demanded.

Jack didn’t let go of him “I swear to god, if you come near her again I’ll kill you!” He threatened him.

“Jack!” Martha called out, moving forward to move his arm.

“Martha let go of me!” He demanded.

“Fine Jack! Act like an idiot; don’t ask like a father of three. I can’t believe you, just leave it Jack!” She snapped,

“No I won’t leave it Martha!” He said angrily, looking at her “I want to protect you!”

“Jack I don’t want you using violence in front of Callie! I’m going!” She snapped, grabbing Callie’s arm and storming out of the bar.

Jack tried to chase her but realised that she’d already left. He also realised that he’d most probably be sleeping on the couch.

----------------------------------

Jack walked in the door, sure enough the couch was set up, and he sighed as he realised it wouldn’t do any good to go to Martha now. She’d probably kick him out. He saw a light in Kiah’s room and realised that she’d picked up the kids. He sighed as he dressed himself in the pajamas that Martha had left out, sighing as he got into bed, cursing himself.

NEXT CHAPTER: What does Martha do?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Chapter Thirty Four

Jack groaned as he turned in his bed, well it wasn’t really a bed it was more like a couch, a hard couch come to it. He rubbed his back as he sat up, it was aching from the awkward night spent on it. He opened his eyes, and saw the figure of a small girl eating her breakfast, the person was Callie. He yawned as he got up “Morning sweetie.” He said, hugging her.

“Morning daddy!” She said cheerfully. Fortunately, she hadn’t seen his moment of anger, she’d seem him angry at the man that had been giving her mummy trouble, and she understood that her daddy wanted to make sure his fiancé was safe.

“Where’s mummy?” He asked, unsure if he wanted to know the answer.

“She’s gone out.” She said.

Jack tried not to cringe “Did she take Rory and Kiah?” He asked.

“No, they’re both asleep.” She said, and no sooner had she said that then they heard Kiah’s wail of boredom from the baby monitor that had been placed on Jack's bed, and also heard the live version.

“I’ll go get her.” Jack said, heading off to Kiah’s bedroom, where he found the brunette toddler with tear stained cheeks “Kiah what’s wrong?” He asked, concerned “Did you have a bad dream?” He asked tenderly, lifting the child into his arms.

Kiah nodded as she clung to her daddy, the dream had been bad.

He sat down on a chair, soothing her for about ten minutes, until she was calm enough to go and play with her sister. Jack then went to see Rory, and found the gurgling baby boy with his eyes wide open, and a grin on his face “Hello Rory.” He said cheerfully. He may have appeared to be in a good mood but he was worried about how Martha would be when she got home.

---------------------------

“Callie I’m home.” Came Martha’s gentle voice around lunchtime.

“Mummy!” She said, giving her a hug.

“Hey gorgeous how are you? How are your brother and sister?” She asked, kissing her forehead.

“Kiah had a bad dream this morning so she was a bit upset but daddy was with her.” She said, as they walking into the main room.

“Is she okay now?” Martha asked.

“She okay.” She said, before hurrying back to her lunch.

Martha cautiously headed into the kitchen, to find Jack angrily cutting up some lunch.

“Why didn’t you call, Martha? I didn’t know where you were, or how long you’d be. I had to ask Callie for god’s sakes.” He said, keeping his voice low so that Callie, who’d headed back to watch television, wouldn’t hear them arguing “You didn’t even leave me a note.” He said angrily.

“I had to go out and I asked Callie to tell you because I was running late. Sasha asked if she could see me, she’s been having a rough time.” She snapped “But since you obviously don’t care about anybody but yourself, I don’t know why I bothered to tell her to tell you.” She said coldly “My sister is going through an impossibly hard time and you couldn’t care if she dropped dead. She’s engaged to be married to Jarrod and she’s having some issues with the people organising the wedding. Geez Jack you’re so selfish!” She said “I don’t know why I bothered!” She said, before storming out of the room.

---------------------------------------------

Martha sighed, it was night at Noah’s, and she was bored. The lights were on, and Kim was next door working a late night with some clients who were in training. It was about 9:30PM, and it was empty because there was a play on at the school. She sighed when she saw someone enter; fortunately he didn’t hear the sigh “What can I get you?” She asked politely.

“Just a beer, thanks, unless you’re closing up?” He asked, looking around the empty bar.

“No, not at all.” She assured him.

The continued talking as he drank for about half an hour, when Jack came in. He saw them there, both smiling, laughing and having a good time and in his anger with Martha jumped to the wrong conclusion “You bitch!” He spat at her, storming out.

NEXT CHAPTER: Will this be the end of Jack and Martha?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

It's only short because I have another one planned. Mwahaha, hopefully two more chaps of this and two chaps of Childhood today. DAY OFF SCHOOL YAY!

Chapter Thirty Four

Martha sighed as she wiped down the kitchen table. It was two days since Jack had stormed out of Noah’s, and they’d barely spoken once to each other. She blamed him for overreacting about the fact that she was talking to someone, he blamed her that she was two-timing him. She looked up when she heard someone answer, but to her annoyance, it was just Jack. She continued cleaning up, not saying a word to him.

Jack rolled his eyes, they’d been playing this game for days, and he wished it would end. He looked at her, wiping down the table then he noticed something. Her ring finger was bare. Martha wasn’t wearing her engagement ring “You’re not wearing the ring.” He said slowly.

“Why would I bother Jack, you obviously don’t trust me so why should we still be engaged? I was having a chat with another guy, Jack, what’s so wrong about that. He came in late, needed a drink and I was bored so I talked to him! Is that so illegal, Jack? Does this mean that I can’t even talk to other guys without you think that there’s something going on? You don’t trust me!” She accused him.

“What was I meant to think, you were both smiling at happy, you with a perfect stranger, you probably thought it was a good way to get back at me!” He snapped at her.

“I don’t know why we’re even bothering Jack.” She said angrily “But judging by this, maybe we’ll have to talk about if someone has to move out because it’s not fair on the kids that their parents can’t even have a civil conversation.” She said.

“So you’re backing out already? First you call off the engagement, without even trying to work it out. Then you say one of us has to move out. Sounds to me like you’re trying to hold all the cards!” He said.

“See, this is what I’m talking about!” She exclaimed “You always do this, that’s the problem. We both always end up fighting and its faults on both sides. I actually thought that we may eventually be able to work through this, the day after you called me a bitch, but no, you decided that it’s my fault. It’s not like you’ve never made mistakes Jack.”

The wailing of Rory could be heard, and Martha gave him a final look before hurrying out to get Rory. Soon she came in, Rory in hand, and she put him in his highchair as she fed him a bottle.

Jack sighed “I’ve got work.” He said, walking out.

-------------------------------------------

Jack sighed; he’d barely been able to concentrate on work since his argument with Martha. Whenever they spoke, they were always arguing.

Lara looked at Jack “What’s up Jack?” She asked.

“Just me and Martha having issues.” He said with a sigh.

“Like what? Jack you know you can tell me.” She said, coming over and sitting next to him.

“Alright, well I walked into Noah’s a few nights ago, and I saw her talking to some guy, they were laughing and smiling so I assumed she was having an affair, only I know now that she wasn’t. And she’s taken off her engagement ring.” He said, revealing his worries.

“Jack, you’ve got to talk to her. Remember, you have three kids, three kids who love and depend on both of you. For people without kids it’s easier to give up on the relationship, but you’ve got three kids. And a break-up will affect them. So make sure the break-up is well warranted if you decided to do it, because your kids are important, imagine hurting them by doing a break-up that wasn’t meant to happen.” She said softly “McGrath’s not here today, I’m in command and I’m ordering you to go and sort things out with her.” She said, pointing towards the door “Go, Holden, now.” She demanded.

“Alright, thanks Fitsy.” He said, heading for the door.

“Martha!” Jack called, heading through the door. He saw her look at him from the kitchen, obviously preparing herself for another fight “I’m not here to argue. I talked to Fitsy, she said that especially with the kids, we need to sit down and talk about this.” He said, sitting down on the kitchen table.

Martha too, sat down “I know we need to talk, but I’d say that our pride has been getting in the way of us talking.” She admitted.

“Basically here it goes. Alright, I know the other night, that incident was completely innocent and I’m sorry for overreacting, but at the time it did look rather suspicious and I thought you might have been going off with another guy to upset me.” He said quietly.

“I’m sorry about that Jack, and I’m also sorry for storming out after Phillip. You didn’t deserve that.” She said softly “I know you were just trying to protect me, but I was worried about how Callie would take it, and I knew that storming out may be the only thing that would have stopped you punching him.” She said.

“I know that I shouldn’t have done that, especially not in front of Callie. I was stupid but I felt horrid for not being able to protect you those other times, and I wanted to let him know that I wasn’t going to let him treat you like that.” He said “So I guess we take our relationship as it comes?” He asked her.

“I guess. We might very well end up back together Jack, but there’s a chance that we may not after this, at least until we trust each other again, and realise that the other trusts us. Jealousy doesn’t work in a relationship, it just destroys it.” She said “Jack we both need time.” She said softly.

“I know.” He said “I’m glad we cleared this up, we can’t keep acting like this in front of the kids.” He said “They hate us fighting and somehow we’ve managed to pretty much keep the fighting to when they aren’t here or when their in bed.” He said.

“Me too.” She said, smiling at him for the first time in days. Hopefully now things would be a lot easier between them, their children needed them both.

------------------------------------

Martha laughed and danced as she was in Noah’s that night, at a party. There were others in the bar, and out into the room adjourning the bar. It was Rachel’s birthday party, and she was there, together with Kim and Jaidyn, and the party was a good one.

Suddenly, the fire alarms went off.

As she was last out the door, Martha, who was talking to Alf at the time, was filled with panic when she realised Callie wasn’t outside “Where’s Callie!” She yelled over the screaming of the other guests who were hurrying to avoid the quickly spreading fire. She raced back inside.

Jack saw Martha scream for Callie and race back inside and tried to run in after her, but couldn’t “MARTHA!” He yelled out.

-----------------

It was ten minutes later, and Martha still hadn’t come out and neither had Callie. Suddenly they heard a voice “Daddy what’s going on?”

Jack whirled around to see it was Callie “Callie! When did you get out?” He asked, picking up the child.

“Colleen took me out before, and then she kept me away when she heard the alarms. She wanted to show me something on the beach. Where’s mummy?” She asked, looking for her mum.

“That’s it I’m going in!” Jack declared, roughly pulling himself out of Tony’s arms. He bolted inside “MARTHA!” He yelled. He heard nothing, and then realised Martha must’ve been overcome by the smoke. He saw her, and raced to her “Martha!” He said, kneeling beside her, then realised that, judging by the large cut on her head, she’d been hit by a falling pole, as they were in neither Noah’s or the Gym, she’d obviously been heading out

Jack picked her up effortlessly, and rushing outside with her securely in his arms.

A cheer came up when they saw Jack rush out with Martha in his arms. He gently laid her on the ground “Where’s the ambulance?” He yelled out.

----------------------

Jack paced the hospital waiting room restlessly. He didn’t know if she was alright, nobody was telling him anything.

“Jack.” Rachel called out to him.

“Rachel, is she okay?” He asked, terrified of losing her.

“She’ll be fine. She’s on a nebulizer, and she’s had her cut stitched up.” She said “She received a pretty big hit to the head, but you can see her. Just you for now, Jack.” She said, allowing him into the room.

Jack went in, and stood beside Martha’s bedside “Martha.” He said, sounding relieved.

“Jack.” She said, reaching out for his hand which he willingly handed to her “Callie, she’s okay?” She said her voice croaky, reaching to remove her gas mask, and pulling it off

“She’s fine.” He assured her “Hey leave that on.” He said, taking the mask and putting it back on her head.

“Jack, it’s annoying.” She complained, mist forming around the mask as she spoke “And I have to have this thing in my arm.” She complained about the drip in her arm “I want to take it out.” She said, reaching for the cord.

“Don’t you dare!” Jack warned her, grabbing her arm and holding her hand in his other one “There, now you’ve got no hands to remove any of the things around your head or arm with.” He said, sounding proud.

“I could always have you thrown out.” She said smiling.

Jack’s face turned serious “I seriously thought I was going to lose you, when I found you lying on the ground unconscious Mac. I really thought I was, and I couldn’t lose you.” He said softly “All our stuff has been petty and stupid and we should be trying to work it out as one, as a couple not flinging it aside the first opportunity we get.” He said softly, sitting on her bed.

“I know, I realised that as well.” Martha said softly “I realised I didn’t want the separation at all, and I wanted to be with you. I thought I’d never get to see you or the kids again.” She whispered, tears forming in her eyes.

“Shh it’s okay.” He whispered softly, wiping the tears away from her eyes “You will and you are. We can be together and sort through our issues Martha. We will make this work; we’ve been given too many gifts to knock it back.” He said “I love you and I always will.” He said “I’ll never leave you.” He promised.

“I love you Jack.” She said softly.

-------------------------------

Jack had gone home to get some of her things, and he told her that if she wasn’t wearing the gas mask or drip when he came back, he wouldn’t be happy. So she kept it on to humour him, but she hated the needle in her arm and the mask around her face. She smiled as he came back in “How were the girls?” She asked, still wearing the mask and still having the drip in her arm.

“Their good, and so are you.” He said, meaning the drip and mask.

She smiled “I had to humour you.” She said softly.

“Want this back?” He asked, pulling her engagement ring out of his pocket.

She smiled as she gently took the ring “Of course I do Jack.” She said softly.

“A new start.” He promised, kissing her on the forehead.

NEXT CHAPTER: Life for Jack and Martha, true bliss. But how far will Kit go to ruin Sasha’s happiness, and Rachel’s happiness. Yes, she wants Kim and Jarrod, and won’t let Sasha or Rachel stand in her way!

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Chapter Thirty Five

Martha sighed as she flicked through the channels on the television. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. However you wanted to say it, the TV had nothing interesting enough on it. She threw herself back onto her pillows, looking agitatedly around the room. It was early morning, two days after the fire, and Martha had been told she’d be going home today, so Jack had said he’d take the day off work to pick her up. She checked her watch again, 8:31, exactly two minutes after she’d last checked it. She looked up as the door was opened and was delighted to see that it was Jack “Finally!” She exclaimed, as Jack walked in “Where are the kids?” She asked, looking around for them.

“Dad’s minding them.” He replied, smiling at his fiancé “In fact, he’s minding them for the whole day.” He said, giving her a kiss.

“Really?” She asked, a smile forming on her face.

“Yes, so I’m taking you out today, if you’re up to it.” He decided.

“I’m up for it, just depends on whether or not you are.” She said with a grin, getting off the creaking hospital bed “Now, I’m going to discharge myself.” She decided, heading out of the room, with a smiling Jack following her.

--------------------------

“This is nice.” Martha said, smiling as they sat on a beach that had been recommended to them by Robbie and Tasha, it was where Robbie had first met Jane “Trying to be a romantic, Jack?” She asked “Thank you.” She said, giving him a kiss.

“As long as Dad doesn’t bring the kids down, we’ll have peace for a while.” He said with a grin.

“A day without the kids, I haven’t had that in over a year.” She said with a sigh.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“Its okay, Jack, I understand. But after your supposed death, I couldn’t risk letting any of them out of my sight, Callie had to go to school obviously but I’d pick her up, drop her off. I’d make sure I’d see them daily. It was tough; I just couldn’t lose any of them.” She said “But hopefully we’ll be doing this more often.” She said with a laugh.

“No doubt we will.” He said, pulling her into his lap “I missed you while I was away. I’d been sent some photos of you and the girls, which kept me going. I had no idea about Rory though.” He said softly “If I had of known, I could have done something , anything would have been good enough. But no. How did everything go? How were Kiah’s birthdays? Callie’s?” He wanted to know.

“They all went alright, Callie missed you the most, but I just told them they’d see you again one day, meaning in heaven, I said they’d see you in a very long time. But that didn’t happen. Peter was amazing; during the time you’d gone. He and Claire were over heaps during my pregnancy with Rory. Claire would help me when I was overwhelmed, and Peter would always make sure I had plenty of money, and everything I needed. I would’ve been lost without them.” She said, staring out into the sea “I didn’t get to properly grieve, how you can with two young children and another one on the way I have no idea. You’re always doing something. Now, it seems I don’t have to grieve for you. And to think we nearly threw that all away Jack.” She said softly, turning to face him.

“Well, we’re together now and that’s all that matters. We have three beautiful children, and other people can’t even have any. We’re lucky.” He said his arms around her stomach.

“It’s all kinda because of Fitsy.” She said, grinning “If she hadn’t of sent you home that day, we wouldn’t have talked.” She said smiling.

“And I may have left you in that burning building.” Jack said innocently.

“What!” She exclaimed, whirling around “You so did not just say that!” She demanded, starting to hit him

Jack put his arms up, laughing “Alright I surrender!” He declared, trying to push her arms away “Ouch, stop hitting me!” He said with a wide grin.

Soon Martha had turned back around and they’d resumed their positions. Martha had a little smile on her face, and then she felt Jack tap her on the shoulder.

“Let’s swim.” He suggested.

Martha smiled, before removing her clothes to reveal her bikini.

Jack smiled as he went down to his boardies “Let’s go.” He said, smiling. He watched as Martha walked ahead of him to the water, and he couldn’t help admiring her. Even after giving birth to two children, she still looked beautiful.

She turned around, walking backward into the water and laughed when she saw Jack looking over her body “Have a good look?” She asked, laughing at him.

He smiled back at her, unashamed “Is there anything wrong with thinking I have the most beautiful fiancé in the world?” He asked her, as he got beside her and put his arm around her.

“No, not really.” She said, giving him a kiss on the cheek “I love that fact that after having two kids, you still check me out.” She said, putting her head on her shoulder as they stopped, ankle deep in the water.

“Of course I want to check you out. You’re gorgeous!” He said, putting his other arm around her, putting her into a hug.

“Thanks.” She said gratefully “You’re not too bad either, you kept in shape in witness protection!” She said with a laugh.

“I tried.” He said, grinning “Now, I have something I have to tell you.” He said seriously.

“What?” She asked her heart stopping for a beat.

“You’re going in!” He yelled, grabbing her and throwing her into the water.

------------------------------------------------

“I cannot believe that you just did that!” Martha said furiously. She was freezing cold, and when he’d thrown her in, he’d run out of the water “That was seriously unfair.” She whined.

“Stop your whinging.” Jack said, laughing at her as he handed her a towel.

“Do you want a repeat of what happened the night after you came back?” She asked sweetly “Remember, that can happen again.” She said innocently.

Jack’s face fell “You wouldn’t do that.” He said, looking half afraid of her answer.

“Oh yes I would Jack Holden!” She said, wrapping the towel around her body and striding confidently up the beach.

Jack watched her walk off; dumbfounded at the fact she’d actually walked off. He started gathering their stuff; suddenly he heard her scream, and his gaze shot up to where she was. He recognised the figure beside her: Phillip. Rage seethed through him as he rushed up the beach, seeing him grab at a terrified Martha, and he grabbed Martha from behind.

Martha jumped in fright when she felt someone grab her roughly, then relaxed when she realised it was Jack. She instinctively clung to him, her hands clinging so tightly to him that if Jack had of been paying proper attention, he’d realise there was a chance that she may cut the circulation.

“Get the hell out of here!” Jack spat at him “You’ve caused her enough pain!” He said, his arms wrapped around Martha protectively.

“You caused her more. I know she wants me more than you, so get it through you’re thick head.” He said smugly “Now do us both a favour, and leave.” He said, smirking at him.

“I’m not going anywhere. She’s my fiancé, and I love her more than anything and I know that she loves me!” He said, enraged.

“Is that why you didn’t listen to her at that girl’s party?” He said laughing “She stormed off, if I remember correctly. And I heard on the grapevine that she broke off the engagement and removed the ring. Now does that sound like someone who’s happy in her relationship?” He said.

“Martha and I love each other, she’s wearing the ring again and the engagement is back on. We’re doing it because we realised we’re lucky that we have such an amazing family, three kids. We’ve been together nearly four years, Phillip and neither of us want to throw that away. So leave before I have you arrested.” He said angrily.

“Fine, but Martha will make her own way back to me soon enough!” He said smugly, heading off "You can't be there everytime, Holden! I'll get her!" He promised, heading off.

Martha threw her arms around Jack, sobbing.

“Shh, it’s okay.” He soothed her, sitting down in the sand and holding her tightly in his lap.

“Ooh, having a night out are we? Young love, me and Lancie’s father used to do that a lot and...”

“Sorry, Colleen but can we just finish ordering, please?” Martha said patiently as she and Jack sat at the diner for lunch.

“Eager to be alone are we? Alright, so it’s two hamburgers with the lot? Coming right up.” She said, shuffling away.

“I never thought we were going to get away from her.” Jack said, giving an exasperated sigh.

Martha smiled slightly, Phillip was still on her mind and still bothering her and she hated it.

Jack sensed that she was thinking about him “Martha, its okay. He can’t hurt you.” He said softly, moving over to her side of the booth to hold her in his arms.

“That’s the thing, Jack. He can hurt me and he has and he will again. You can’t be there all the time!” She said, trying hard not to let all her fear and sadness overflow so the whole diner knew her problems “I hate it, Jack. And the worst thing is he thinks I like him! I don’t, Jack; I hate him! I hate feeling so scared all the time! I’m sick of him trying to touch me, feel me, kiss me, hug me I’m sick of it all. I wish he wouldn’t even talk to me. I worry he’s going to target one of the kids, I just don’t know what he’ll do next! I don’t even feel safe in my own home Jack, he can always see me.” She said, close to tears.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He said softly “Look, does he know where we live?” He asked.

“I think he does.” She whispered.

“Fine, then we can go and get a strong metal screen door, one of the ones where you can see who it is from the inside but they can’t see you. Would that make you feel better? We can get shutters and whatever else you please.” He said honestly “Anything to make you feel safe.” He said softly, hugging her close “I love you and I refuse to let him hurt you.”

-----------------------------------

It had been a few days since Martha and Jack’s little talk, and unaware of her friend’s issues, Kit smiled as she walked up to Jarrod “Hey, Jarrod how are you going.” She said, almost flirting with him except not going quite that far.

“I’m alright, Kit. How are you?” He asked her politely. He didn’t like her, ever since she’d been pulling strings with Sasha and even though she said she’d changed he doubted her motives. He looked at his watch “Sorry, Kit. I’m gunna have to go. Sasha and I have to discuss wedding plans.” He said, taking any excuse to hurry. He wasn’t meant to meet Sasha for about another hour but he could just say he mixed up the times.

Kit narrowed her eyes at him as he walked away “One day I’ll get you, Jarrod. I’ll have you and Kim both, and Rachel and Sasha will be all alone, where they belong with nobody.” She said nastily, speaking to nobody in particular but she was totally unaware that two women heard, the two women she was speaking about.

Jack smiled as he walked in, leading Callie and Kiah and holding Rory “Martha I’m home.” He called out, walking into the main room. He frowned when he got no answer, he’d gone to pick up the kids and Martha was meant to be cooking dinner. He walked into the kitchen, unable to find her and she hadn’t left a message. He called her phone, to find she’d left it behind. Now he knew something was wrong. She only ever left her phone behind if he and the kids were with her, she always worried someone could try to contact her about one of the kids, or the station about Jack. Where is she? He thought to himself she better be okay.

NEXT CHAPTER: What's happened to Martha?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Due to my wanting to write what happened to Martha, hopefully another chapter up tonight.

Chapter Thirty Six

“Where the hell is she?” Jack roared at Phillip Jones, as he sat in the police interview room. It had been a week since Martha’s disappearance, and nobody had heard anything from her. Everyone was worried, and they all knew that Martha wouldn’t leave her fiancé and children.

“Jack, settle down.” Peter ordered him “This isn’t helping.” He told him quietly

Phillip laughed at Jack’s anger “Don’t worry; I’ve had my fun with her.” He smirked “The longer you keep me in here, the longer she stays without food.” He said smugly “So, you want her to starve to death? Some form of love.” He laughed in Jack’s face.

Jack was close to punching him square in the face, and he felt Fitsy’s hand on his shoulder.

“Jack, calm down. Do it for Martha.” She pleaded with him. She knew that if Jack got sent out the door, he’d be off the case. She’d struggled to make sure Jack was allowed on the case, they wanted Jack kept out of every detail but Fitsy had pleaded with them to let him know, it was his fiancé.

“How can I when that idiot has my fiancé.” He hissed.

“Jack settle down or I’m going to have to ask you to leave!” Peter snapped “I know you’re worried about Martha, but this isn’t helping.” He said.

“So, when can I go? Because I’ve been here for about five days now! She won’t have had food for 2 days, because I need to get some groceries.” Phillip whinged at them.

“You can you when you tell us where Miss Mackenzie is. Only when we know where she is will we let you go.” Peter snapped at the man. He hated scum like him, people who had no consideration for other people, or other people’s feelings. He understood Jack’s feelings, but he needed to do this “So tell us where she is and save yourself a lot of hassle.” He ordered.

“Well, the longer I’m here the longer she goes without food.” He smirked “I’m sure you want that.” He laughed.

“What did you do to her?” Peter demanded of him “If you had a brain, you wouldn’t have done anything to her.”

“Well, I’m not gunna tell you what I did, am I?” He said, continuing to laugh “She wasn’t exactly happy about it, though. I’ll tell you that. And I’m not one to kiss and tell, but I’ll tell you this. She’s got a nice body.” He smirked.

Peter knew that he had to restrain Jack at exactly that moment so he did. He pushed the Constable out the door “Jack you need to stay calm!” He ordered him “This isn’t helping!” He said.

“You know what he just admitted that he did! God knows how far he’s gone, Peter! I’m just meant to sit here and take that!” He roared at him.

“Jack, do I have to ask you to leave?” He said evenly “Fitsy and me fought for you to be allowed to remain in this case. Are you going to throw that back in our faces?” he asked him.

“No.” Jack muttered “I just want her back, Pete.” He said, going quiet.

“I know and we want her back to. But we’ve just got to see what we can track down about where he lives. He’s made a few slips, slips he couldn’t have made knowingly. We’re trying to piece them together. Jack, just stay strong for me okay?” He asked, putting his hand on his shoulder.

Jack had asked that none of their family come to the station, he’d let them know as soon as they heard anything.

“We’ve got a lead!” Fitsy said “We left him in there, and he was talking to himself. He didn’t know we had people on the other side of the window, listening to him. He gave us a town, so we searched it and we think we’ve found it!” She said, waving a piece of paper in front of Jack’s face.

Jack snatched at the piece of paper and went to grab his keys but Peter stopped him “Jack you’re coming in my car.” He said, hurrying out to his Holden Commodore.

--------------------------------

Jack leapt out of the car before it had even stopped, and began running to the house at top speed. He started banging on the front door; he could hear crying inside “MARTHA!” He yelled out loudly. He rammed the door hard with his shoulder, knocking it down. “MARTHA!” He yelled again, rushing into the house. He heard someone faintly calling his name. He rushed into the bedroom, and found Martha locked in and chained up in there. He rushed to her “Martha!” He called, pulling her into his arms.

She fought him off, sobbing loudly.

Jack stayed back a bit, and then went outside “She’s in there. Just leave me a car, please Pete?” He asked softly, seeing his fiancé that scared had knocked him flat.

“Sure, mate.” He said, handing him the keys to his own car.

Jack quickly went back inside, taking with him some pliers to break the locks. He broke them quietly and just sat, waiting for Martha to come to him. He looked at her, she had a bruise on the left side of her face and her cheeks were tearstained. She looked a mess.

Martha sat on the bed, her legs folded beneath her. She wanted to fall into Jack’s arms and scream and cry, revealing all the pain she’d been through but she was scared. She’d been through so much. She sniffed softly.

“Martha, please. I only want to help.” He whispered to her softly “Phillip’s at the station, he’s locked up. I’m not letting him near you again.” He said, his eyes pleading with her to let him in.

She brought her hand to her face, trying to control the tears. She couldn’t control herself anymore and leant forward, wanting Jack to hold her.

Jack instantly wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly in his arms “Shh, I’ve got you.” He whispered softly into her ear.

-----------------------------

Jack was driving back to Summer Bay. They’d been at that house for an hour, Martha just crying into his arms. Gradually she’d settled enough to be able to move out of the place. The first thing she’d done was ask Jack to buy her some food. He’d complied immediately, driving into a fast food joint, drive through. He was driving back now, and he pulled into the police station. He got out quickly, and walked over to Martha’s door, opening it and pulling her out and into his arms. He wrapped his arms protectively around her, holding her tightly. He walked in at the same time that Phillip was being walking into a cell. Her reaction was closing the gap between her and Jack even further, if that was possible. She clung to him, the revelation of what he’d done to her now clear. Jack headed into Peter’s office; he’d said he could use that rather than the interview office. He sat down, leaving Martha to sit where she wished. She sat on his lap, clinging to his hands “Are you ready to talk?” He asked softly.

She gave him a silent nod.

He understood he could ask questions “Right, I’m going to come out with one I think he did by the way he spoke and the question that will let us know just what he did. Mac, did he rape you?” He asked softly.

Her nod was the answer that he needed, but didn’t want to hear. He now understood why she’d backed away from him, she’d been abused by that freak and she was terrified. He offered out his arms in a hug and she fell into them, sobbing her heart out at what she’d been through.

NEXT CHAPTER: How does Martha go?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Chapter Thirty Seven

Martha sat, alone, in her room. She’d barely said a word to Jack since she’d come home, and she hadn’t seen the kids. She felt sick and dirty, and she wanted to scream but she knew it wouldn’t do her any good. It wouldn’t change what he’d done to her, it wouldn’t change anything. She knew that her children were at Tony’s house, completely oblivious to what she was going through. She heard a knock on the door but she ignored it, however the door opened anyway and she saw Jack poke his head through the door, she ignored him to, but he came over and sat on the bed, not near her or touching her, and for some reason it made her feel worse “You don’t want to touch me.” She said softly.

Jack looked stricken “It’s not like that at all, Martha. I love you, and I hate that you’re going through this and I don’t want to push you. You’ve been through a major trauma, and I don’t want to push you before you’re ready.” Jack said softly “I wish that I could’ve stopped what he did to you, I’d do anything. He’s locked up for good; you’ll be relieved to know.” He added, reaching his hand out half way between them, giving her the option to take it or decline it.

She stared at the hand being offered to her, unsure of what she wanted to do. Slowly, she reached her hand out and took his, tensely. She knew she could trust Jack; she loved and trusted him but at the moment she didn’t know who she could turn to or who she could trust. Her brain was screaming at her to run away but somehow, for some reason holding Jack’s hand she truly felt safe. For the first time in a week she was truly beginning to feel safe again. She knew she wouldn’t be able to have any visitors for a few days at least, but as long as no strange men came near her, and men were cautious she knew she’d be fine. As long as Jack didn’t go to work for a while, and was around her she’d be fine. She held his hand, tighter this time, giving him a tiny smile.

Jack felt encouraged by the signs Martha had shown. It was nearly night time “Dad’s going to bring the kids back in a few days.” He said softly “When you’re ready.” He said quietly.

“Is anybody else in the house?” She asked slowly.

“Nobody else, Martha. Not even the kids. I’m serious, if you want you can even go and check every room, every nook and cranny. I swear nobody’s here.” He promised her, truthfully. Nobody was at the house; everybody was leaving the house to Jack and Martha. The blinds were closed and the doors and windows locked. Nobody knew what he’d done to her; Jack had refused to tell them.

“It’s okay, I believe you.” She said, their hands still in the air, and Jack didn’t move any closer to her. She gently tugged on his hand, wanting him nearer her so she’d feel safer. She knew that a lot of people, after going through this trauma, wouldn’t want anyone near her but the only person she trusted to hold her was Jack, and she needed to know he was protecting her.

Jack let himself be pulled towards Martha, going slowly. He’d stop when she wanted him to. He was surprised when she pulled his arms around her waist and leant on him “I love you.” He whispered in her ear “Don’t ever forget you mean everything to me. You and the kids are the best thing that are happened to me Martha.”

She leant her head back on his chest when he said that “Stay home for a while.” She pleaded “I can’t be home alone, Jack.” She begged him.

“I’m not going anywhere. Peter’s given me as much time as I need off work.” He promised her, he was longing to kiss her but knew he couldn’t. He wanted to make her feel better but he knew it would take time “Nobody’s coming near the house for a while. Nobody knows exactly what happened but they all know it’s something horrible, so if we need anything we just ask and they’ll drop it off.” He told her.

“How are the kids?” She asked, still quiet.

“They are alright. Apparently Callie’s been crying, she misses you so much Mac. While we were looking they were at Dad’s, he was caring for them while you were gone, and I’d see them on the rare trips home. Callie wasn’t happy; she kept on asking for you. Kiah doesn’t fully understand it and Rory has no idea.”

“Is he ever getting out?” She asked, turning around, her eyes showing her tears and pain.

“No, he’s being locked up for good. He’s not coming out, Mac. I’m making sure of it, Peter’s making sure of it, and Fitsy’s making sure of it, heck even McGrath’s making sure of it.” He said “And anytime you wanna talk about what happened, you know you can come to me right?” He asked her, holding her tightly.

“I know. I’m glad you were there to get me.” She whispered, fresh tears pouring down her cheeks.

“Shh, he can’t get you anymore. I won’t let him. I’m not going back to work until you’re 100% alright, and even then I can be here in a second if you need me.” He promised her “Try keeping me away from you.” He said softly “You’re soon to become my wife, I’m not about to let anything else happen to you.” He promised her.

“Are you sure you won’t get sick of me?” She asked him “I mean, I’ll be really clingy, Jack.” She told him.

“I’m prepared for that.” He told her, looking her straight in the eye “And I welcome you being clingy, I don’t want any more harm to come to you, Mac.” He told her the facts “The less time I’m away, the less time someone can hurt you.” He told her “Sorry, but you’re not being let out of my sight for a while.” He told her.

“I’m prepared for that, if you’re prepared for a clingy fiancé I’m prepared for an overprotective lover.” She said, smiling slightly “It may be some time before I’m ready to get intimate, though Jack.” She murmured softly.

He turned her face around gently “I don’t care about us being intimate until you’re ready, Martha. I love you, I’m not about to push you, and risk losing you. When you’re ready it will happen. I don’t care if I have to wait years; as long as I know that you love me I’m fine.” He told her.

“I love you.” She whispered, a single tear trickling down her cheek “I just hate what he’s done to me. Thanks for waiting, you don’t have to stay, I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t, Jack.” She said softly.

“I will stay. Try and get me to leave.” He said softly. At the phone’s ringing, Jack looked at Martha.

“Go answer it Jack.” She said softly.

Jack went and answered it and quickly he was back in the room “Martha that was Rachel. She wants to let you know that you’re all clear, no diseases after what happened, and you’re not pregnant.” He said softly.

She breathed a sigh of relief “I was praying to god I wasn’t pregnant to him.” She said, throwing her arms back around Jack “I couldn’t do abortion.” She admitted.

“I don’t blame you; I wouldn’t expect you to either. I’m relieved you got the all clear.” He said, smiling at her.

“I’m glad I didn’t get anything from him.” She said, relieved.

“So am I.” He told her “And tell me if I’m pushing you, don’t be afraid. I don’t know when you’re ready, alright?” He told her “You hold the cards.” He added.

“Thank you, Jack. It means a lot your willing to wait for me.” She said softly

“Of course I’m willing to wait. I adore you.” He said, smiling at her “I’m lucky to have you, and I’m not throwing that away!” He declared.

“Thanks.” She said, and hesitantly gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He smiled at her “Thank you.” He said softly “It’s great to know that you trust me enough.” He told her.

“I trust you because I love you and know that you won’t hurt me, earlier I fought you away because I just didn’t trust anyone, the feelings were really fresh and I couldn’t handle being touched.” She said, she felt Jack lessen his grip “But its okay now.” She said firmly, pulling his arms around her again.

The phone rang again, and this time Jack was back lightning quickly.

“Martha come here.” He asked, quickly.

Martha hurried to his side, panicked “Jack, what’s wrong?” She asked, agitated.

“Fitsy and Peter are on their way over. Apparently Phillip escaped.” He said, his face set like stone “I’m not letting you out of my sight, let alone my grasp.” He told her.

“Good.” She said shakily “I’m not leaving your sight or arms.” She told him.

NEXT CHAPTER: Will Phillip manage to get Martha?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Chapter Thirty Eight

“How can he just escape?” Jack asked Peter angrily on the phone “Didn’t you have someone watching him, or was the cell door left unlocked?” He questioned the detective.

“Jack, he ran out of the interview room, and into an awaiting car. We couldn’t have prevented this, so the best thing you can do is stay calm and make sure Martha doesn’t leave your sight.” Peter told him.

“To hell she’s not leaving my sight! I told her he wouldn’t get out again, I promised her! Now she’s in there, breaking down because they didn’t watch him right.” He said furiously.

“Jack, calm down, please. We’ve got officers at the doors and driveways. As long as we’ve got this until he’s caught we’ll be fine.” Peter told him, pointing towards the bedroom where Martha was.

Jack gave the phone a filthy look before hanging up. Immediately Martha tightened her grip on his arm. She’d been true to her word and not let go of him.

“Jack what’s going on?” She moaned, her eyes wet with fresh tears.

“They’ve got people circulating the place; he won’t be able to get you. I won’t let him, Mac. He’s hurt you too much already.” He said, leaning in to kiss her on the cheek but balking.

She noticed and smiled at him through her tears “You can kiss me Jack.” She whispered softly.

He smiled at her, kissing her forehead as they sat on the bed “its okay.” He whispered, wrapping his arms around her “Hopefully this will all be over and he’ll be transferred to maximum security, like he deserves.”

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Martha jumped, instinctively creeping behind Jack. He grasped her hand encouragingly, and then headed towards the door.

“Peter.” He breathed a sigh of relief “Hey, what’s going on?” He asked.

“We caught him, trying to get in the driveway at night. So yeah, you should be safe.” He told a relieved Jack.

“He’s not going to get out again, is he?” He asked.

“Nope, I’m making sure of it.” He assured him.

“Thanks, Pete. And sorry about my earlier agro.” Jack said, almost embarrassed about his behaviour.

“No worries mate. You were upset; I’d be if Claire was going through the same thing.” Pete promised him “Its ancient history now.” He said “I’ve got to take it back to the station.” He told him.

Jack smiled slightly in spite of the trauma “It? No longer is Jones a he, he’s been degraded to an it.”

“It’s all he deserves. Cya Jack!” He said, heading out.

Martha was beside Jack as he closed the door “Thank god.” She whispered, clinging to him tightly.

“It’s okay, you’re alright now, I’m here, and he can’t get you anymore.” He whispered.

Martha’s reaction was sudden and unsuspected. She wrenched her arm out of Jack’s grasp and backed away. His words had triggered something inside her, a reminder of what Phillip had done, what she’d tried so hard to forget. Her back hit the wall and she slid down it, not noticing Jack’s stunned and worried expression “Go, please.” She whispered.

Jack reluctantly went; he didn’t understand what had happened. One minute she was clinging to him for dear life, the next she was ordering him away from her. He didn’t understand what was going on, or what was going on in her head. He just knew that he wanted to help her, but she wasn’t letting him.

------------------------------------------

Martha sat on her bed, her legs curled under her. She was trembling; she couldn’t believe how badly this was affecting her. She’d changed, it had been an hour and a half since she’d kicked Jack out, and she could hear the television softly going on in the background, through her closed door. She wished she hadn’t been so rash, but she regretted her decision. Jack had already offered to sleep on the couch tonight and she’d just given him a nod, to tell him to do it. She knew he was upset but she was to.

Jack sighed as he flicked off the television. There wasn’t anything decent on the television, nothing to divert his attention away from his dramas. Then again, nothing would be gripping enough to divert his attention from Martha. He sighed, turning off the TV. How could be concentrate on anything except Martha? She was going through hell, and to make matters worse she was now blocking him out. And just when he’d thought nothing could get any worse, he’d found out their family and friends knew what had happened, he guessed they’d put two and two together but he did wonder how everyone knew. He knew that Martha wanted to keep everything quiet, not all their family and friends knew and fortunately everyone was keeping it away from Colleen, so Madge hadn’t been informed yet. He sighed, looking towards the bedroom door, hoping, praying with all his might that it was swing open and Martha would come toward him, running, walking, anyway, as long as she was coming toward him. But the longer he stared the more he began to give up hope of Martha coming out. She was in the depths of despair, and she wasn’t anywhere near the light at the end of the tunnel.

NEXT CHAPTER: Will Martha let Jack back in?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

*Note* This is short because I’m writing a bigger chapter, and I want something to happen, lol.

Chapter Thirty Nine

Martha lay down in her bed, shaking. The fear was still inside her, and had been for about two hours, since she’d first tried to go to sleep, and an hour and a half before that, when she’d first kicked Jack out of their room. She looked at her hand, the moonlight reflecting on the stunning white gold ring on her ring finger – her engagement ring. She sighed, rolling over, the moonlight shining on her pale and tear stained cheeks. She closed her eyes, trying to sleep but an unbidden image came into her mind, Phillip. She threw the covers off her and bolted up, her legs taking her before her brain had time to register what was going on. She raced to the couch and practically threw herself on it, wrapping her arms tightly around Jack, shaking violently with fear.

Jack awoke with a start. He’d been in a varied sleep pattern, sleep for about half an hour then wake up. He was in the middle of his sleeping pattern when he felt himself being grabbed roughly by the shoulders, and felt a weight jump onto the bed. He looked and found the sobbing figure of his fiancé. He cautiously wrapped his arms around her. He heard her sob into his chest “Shh, its okay.” He whispered, holding her tightly and securely. “Everything’s going to be okay now.” He soothed her, and within an hour she was asleep, and after she’d been asleep for half an hour, Jack fell into a gentle and peaceful sleep.

--------------------------------

Martha woke up the next morning, smiling slightly to find Jack still beside her. They were still on the couch, but at least she hadn’t slept alone. She was thankful she’d had the courage to ditch her embarrassment, and run to him. She moved her body closer to him, feeling safe. She heard a groan come from him, and smiled as he opened his eyes “Morning.” She said softly.

“Morning.” He said, yawning. He then looked at the couch, then Martha then back to the couch. Obviously he didn’t remember. Then it came back “Are you okay?” He said softly.

“I’m fine. I’m sorry for kicking you out, it’s just you triggered something in my memory, that’s all. And I just couldn’t handle it.” She said shyly.

“Don’t apologise Mac. I understand it’s hard. And you will get through this.” He told her.

“As long as you’re beside me through this I can.” She whispered to him.

“I’m going to be – try and keep me away.” He whispered back, wrapping his arms around her again, leaving her feeling safe in his strong arms.

-------------------------------------

A week had passed since Martha had returned home, and although she still hadn’t been out in public yet, or really seen anyone, she had the kids back at home, and that helped her cope. Callie knew something had happened and she hated the fact that her mummy was suffering but Martha had been quick to assure her everything would be okay.

Martha smiled at Kiah as she gently lifted the two year old out of her crib “Hello gorgeous!” She greeted her baby as she woke.

“Mama!” She said, grinning as she allowed herself to be removed from her crib.

Martha had heard a lot about the terrible twos, but Kiah didn’t seem to be going through them – yet. She smiled, Tony had told her a while ago that Jack had been a particularly bad two year old, and he wished her luck with Rory, as the saying went, like father like son “We’ll take the terrible twos as they come.” She whispered softly to her youngest daughter.

“Morning beautiful.” Came Jack’s voice, things finally looked like they were returning to normal since the incident a week ago.

She grinned as she turned “Good morning.” She said, giving him a quick kiss. Her trust and faith in Jack had skyrocketed since the incident. He’d not done a thing wrong, and he was still not going back to work. She looked at him, slightly nervous “I was thinking maybe we could go to the diner for breakfast?” She suggested, looking up from changing Kiah into her day clothes.

Jack looked surprised “That’d be nice, if you’re up to it.” He said to her.

“I am. I need something like this; people haven’t seen me in around two weeks, Jack. They must be beginning to wonder. And a bit of fresh air could do me good.” She added, looking at him. Over the past week he’d been very protective, and the kids had only been back home for around 3 days, so he was always making sure she was okay. Martha was well and truly on the way to recovery.

“Alright, I’ll get Rory ready and tell Callie the good news.” He said, leaving the room.

-------------------------------

Jack and Martha walked into the diner, hand in hand, Martha holding Kiah in one arm and Jack pushing Rory’s pram with one hand. Martha smiled nervously at everyone, unsure of how much everyone knew about what had happened.

“Alright, Dad, Luc, Alf, Ric, our families know. That’s about it, and the guys know to be cautious, well guys that aren’t family and the ones from family know to be cautious, but they know that he did something they don’t know what.” Jack muttered to her “Word got around, somehow.”

“That’s alright.” She said quietly.

“Hello Martha.” Irene greeted her “Haven’t seen you in a while.” She said. Everyone had been worried about her and Colleen had been gibbering on about how she thought she must be on her deathbed.

“I’m alright Irene.” She said, making a slight smile, her hand still holding tightly onto Jack for support.

“Just ignore Colleen; she’s been going on about how you’re on your deathbed.” Irene muttered, rolling her eyes.

“Thanks, I’ll try.” Martha said. They put their order in with Irene, and suddenly they heard a voice “Martha.”

She turned to see her grandfather, cousin, father-in-law to be and brother-in-law to be at the door “How are you?” They all asked her, keeping distance.

“It’s okay, you can come closer.” She said, smiling softly at them. Her behaviour was becoming more and more rational, and no longer was she freaking out when she remembered things, but was dealing with them calmer, no longer telling Jack to get away but talking about it.

“Let’s sit down shall we?” Ric said, reaching out to take Kiah. He adored his second cousins, but since Martha was as good as his sister, they called him uncle Ric.

“Thanks Ric.” She said as her grandfather put two tables together so they could all sit and enjoy breakfast “So, how much do people know about what happened?” She asked, sitting next to Jack, her hand still clasped around his. It was something she couldn’t let go of.

“They know he kidnapped you for a week, and nobody knows what extent except family, if that’s okay.” Tony asked her.

“That’s alright; I know you guys won’t spread it.” She said, smiling.

“I’m amazed you’re so good about it. He did something horrible.” Lucas said.

“I know he did, but Jack’s been an amazing help through it all. He understands everything. During the first day or so I had enormous mood swings, I’d be alright one minute then he’d be kicked out to the couch that night.” She said “I’m relieved that’s all over with, I’m finally starting to move on.” She said, smiling.

“I knew I kept him for a reason.” Tony joked.

Jack grinned, and squeezed Martha’s hand looking fondly at her.

---------------------------------

After breakfast, Jack and Martha excused themselves.

“I haven’t seen the beach in two weeks.” Martha said smiling “I miss it, so seeing it will be good.” She admitted, before heading out with Jack, Callie and Kiah. Tony had agreed to mind Rory and the pram, as they couldn’t take it over sand.

Jack smiled as he watched Martha walk in the water with Callie, the six year old in shorts and top.

Martha looked at Jack, joy filling her face. She may have a long way to go, but she was getting closer and closer every minute. And it was all because of her amazing fiancé and beautiful children.

NEXT CHAPTER: Any chance of a wedding?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Chapter Forty

Martha smiled as she twirled a piece of silk dress around her finger. She felt the gentle feel of the silk, and she knew she loved it “That’s amazing Sash.” She said, looking at her sister “You and Jarrod are going to be really happy.” She smiled at her sister.

“Thank you, Mac. I don’t feel happy I feel nervous. I can’t believe my wedding is coming up in a few weeks! I don’t know how we’re going to get everything done; I mean it’s rather complicated!” She said her excitement showing on her young face. At 20, people claimed her too young to be married but she and Jarrod had defied the odds and decided they were going to marry young. She smiled nervously at her sister “I can’t believe it’s really happening. In three weeks I’ll be Jarrod’s wife!” She squealed. Their engagement had been about two months; they couldn’t wait any longer than that. Sasha’s maternal instincts were beginning to kick in, and she was thrilled.

“Yes and he’s a very lucky man.” Martha said, smiling at her. She hadn’t seen Jack in two weeks, she was slowly hanging around more and more men, fortunately they all understood her hesitation so they’d let it slide.

“Speaking of lucky men, have you decided when you and Jack will tie the knot?” She asked her “Or aren’t you ready?” She asked. Sasha had been a major support person for Martha after Phillip, and Martha was hugely grateful for her sister’s help.

“Yes, I really think I am. I know it’s only been a little over two weeks, but I’m ready for it. He loves me, he’s prepared to take it slow and not rush it, and Callie’s thrilled at the thought of a wedding. She’s insisting on flower girl. I’m happy to let her be one, but I want Kiah to be involved to.” She said.

“Maybe you should have Kiah throwing rose petals ahead of the whole bridal party, then Callie then the rest of the bridal party?” She suggested.

“That’s not a bad idea!” She said, smiling at her sister “You got your brains from me.” She bragged.

“At least some people in the family have brains.” She said giggling.

“I still can’t believe you gave up your family for me.” Martha said “I mean, you didn’t have to.”

“They were getting very pushy Mac; I was on the verge of leaving anyway. Then I took a chance with you, and it proved to be the right thing. Graham was rather nasty towards the end; I think he’d preferred your tomboyish side to my girly side. And so did mum and dad. You were the favourite.” She told her honestly.

“I didn’t know.” She said quietly.

“Well, it’s ancient history. They don’t know that I’m engaged and they don’t know I’m being married in under a month. They can go jump off a cliff for all I care!” Sasha exclaimed.

“Alright, enough of that. Now, about the shoes...”

------------------------------

“Jack I’m home!” Martha called the next morning, she’d been discussing with Sasha that night and had stayed over, she’d rung Jack and told him last night. She looked around as she entered her small family home. She looked around, unable to find Jack “Jack, are you here? Jack!” She exclaimed, frustrated.

“What’s going on?” Jack called from the other side of the room.

“There you are, I was beginning to get worried.” Martha said smiling.

“How’s Sasha?” Jack asked her.

“She’s good, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle the stress of the wedding though!” She said with a groan.

“Well, we don’t have to.” Jack said matter of fact like.

“What do you mean?” She asked, surprised.

“I mean we don’t have to have a long planning. We can get married today. Mac, think about it. We have the rings, everyone we love is going to be at the party by the lake, everyone’s there, catering is organised, everything. We just need an arch! You have your dress!” He said, coming up in front of her.

“Oh god, yes we do! We could have it today!” She said, the excitement starting to show in her face “Alright, let’s do it!” She said with a laugh.

Jack smiled as he headed to the party. He looked slightly out of place, wearing a black suit, white shirt and white tie. His best man, Peter Baker, was beside him, along with his father, Tony Holden “Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention?” He called, smiling. He looked at Beth, holding his son carefully in her arms, she wasn’t in on it “I’m sure I speak on behalf of myself and Martha when I say thanks for coming. It’s a special day and we’ve decided to make it even more special.”

“What’s going on?” Kit’s confused voice could be heard amongst the reception, along with numerous other people muttering their words of agreement.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we’re getting married!” Jack declared a grin over his face. He pointed over the hill, where a horse drawn carriage was coming, being pulled by Scott’s horse Jacko.

In the little buggy at the back was Martha, her two bridesmaids, Sasha and Rachel, and her two daughters, Callie and Kiah. Everyone gasped as it finally hit home what was happening. Kiah got lifted down by Rachel, who’d gotten out first. Then Callie was assisted, and then Sasha came out, then finally Martha. She looked stunning; she had a dipping dress of soft material that showed off her slender form.

Jack smiled as she began to walk towards him, smiling as she came, and everyone watching as Kiah deposited her rosebuds in clumps on the ground, the two year old not quite mastering the technique. Callie went in front of Rachel, her eyes bright with the joy. Rachel and Sasha looked stunning in pretty pink dresses.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome.” Started the priest.

--------------------------------------------

“Martha, you’ve been my inspiration. I remember meeting you a year after you’d lost your boyfriend, Jordan in a horrific car accident, for the second time. There was a connection there and it didn’t want to go away. Now, I see you. You’ve become a beautiful mother to our three children, and I couldn’t have asked a better woman to be my wife.” He said softly.

“Jack, I met you at a time I didn’t know if I could ever love again, but you taught me that I could, and that our love would lead to three beautiful children.” She said, smiling “Being around you, is amazing. You’re always positive and you’re fiercely loyal and protective, especially of me and the kids. That may have ended you up in the dog house once or twice but even though I may not have shown it, I loved how far you were willing to go to protect me. I love you Jack, now and forever.”

“I love you to.” Jack whispered.

------------------------------------------

“I now pronounce you, husband and wife.” The priest declared, and Jack wrapped his arms around Martha, giving her a gentle kiss.

Martha smiled, this day couldn’t get any better.

NEXT CHAPTER: The reception, how does it go? Does Kit ruin it all?

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Archived