Two Sides To Every Story

Guest *belle*

Here we go!

If it had been a normal day then maybe things would have been different. Maybe he wouldn't have got so angry and thrown Charlie out. But it wasn't a normal day at all. Ella had spent the day crying her poor little heart out and Tasha had done nothing but lie in the bed and stare into space. Robbie had always known it wasn't all going to be fun and games but this was just so different to anything that he had ever expected it was such hard work. So, perhaps understandably, when Charlie came knocking on the door with his picnic basket and a proud smile strung across his face Robbie wasn't exactly thrilled.

"Charlie, what's going on?"

"I thought we could hang out today, just us". He beamed at Robbie, whose heart was rapidly sinking at the thought of leaving Ella alone with the apparently uninterested Tasha.

"Sorry mate but things are kind of hard at the moment, I'll have to take a rain check"

"But I've gone to loads of trouble, maybe you could take some time out, just for an hour or two" Charlie pleaded, his head filled with confusion. He had gone to so much trouble and he had been sure that everything was perfect, why didn't Robbie want to hang out with him?

"No" Robbie snapped. He was getting irritated with Charlie's persistence. "I've said I'm busy so just leave me alone, ok?"

"But…"

"I SAID NO! My life is complicated enough without taking time out to try and keep some annoying little brat occupied" It was a horrible thing to say, he knew that. But with everything that was going on, the last thing he needed was to become Charlie's latest obsession.

"I thought we were friends, friends don't talk to each other like that, do they?" Charlie was asking a genuine question. Living alone and never having had any friends meant that he lacked any knowledge of the way that friends communicated? He didn't mean for it to sound sarcastic in any way. Robbie grabbed his arm and pushed him towards the door, his face screwed up in annoyance.

"PLEASE" Charlie yelled at him, half angry and half confused.

Baby Ella began to cry again upstairs, only half an hour after being put to sleep by Robbie. That was the last straw. Robbie grabbed him by the collar and pushed him out of the door, sending him flying to the ground. Then he picked up the picnic basket and threw it out on top of Charlie before slamming the door, hard, in the terrified boy's face. Tears spilled down

Charlie's cheeks and his knee bled from where it had scraped the gravel on the ground. He slowly rose up and dusted himself down, crying somewhat uncontrollably.

Then he started to run home, leaving the heavy picnic basket on the ground. Now he felt more alone than ever, so isolated and lonely. He had just wanted a friend, why was that such a bad thing? He felt so angry with the world for treating him like this, he wanted to make somebody hurt like he did everyday. And that’s when the idea came to him.

Maybe if he made Robbie feel like he did, alone and helpless, then he would change his mind and decide that being his friend wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. Although it would hurt him at first, it would be better for him in the long run. It wasn't like he planned for anyone to get hurt or anything…

This is the next chapter, not as good as the others though...

Charlie smiled as he looked down at the baby. She looked so peaceful laying there, her chest slowly rising and then falling again. He felt bad disturbing her, taking her from her lovely warm crib and away from her mum and dad. But she was just a baby, too young to understand what was going on. He reached down into the soft pink cot and gently pushed one of his hands under her tiny head. Then he wrapped his other hand around her feet and lifted her out into his arms. He held her ever so tight, afraid of dropping her. He cradled her in both his arms and stoked her forehead.

"Everything's perfect for you back at home" he promised her. "You'll be nice and happy with me won't you?"

He started to walk towards the door, his head filled with happy thoughts of when Robbie saw how well he'd looked after his daughter, when he heard footsteps outside the door. He panicked, afraid of what would happen to him if he was caught so early in his plan, and ran towards the window. He pulled one of his hands from under Ella's sleeping body and began to franticly pull at the window. He managed to get it up just enough for him to slip through and he carefully climbed out, just as the door handle turned. He didn't have time to close the window behind him, he just ran as fast as his legs would let him. The last thing he heard in the house was a terrified scream as Robbie saw the empty crib. Charlie felt sorry for Robbie, in fact it tore him apart that he was hurting him like this, but it would all work out in the end. He was going to keep Ella happy and safe until Robbie came around; he had no need to hurt her in anyway. She slept soundly most of the way back to Charlie's shack, tossing and turning quietly in his arms. Just as he reached the end of the river that ran alongside his home she began to stir. Her eyes flicked open and the crying started, terrified screaming as she looked up at the stranger who held her. He stroked her forehead and rocked her back and forth but she wouldn't stop. Charlie was scared that somebody would hear her and come after him. He walked hurriedly towards the door of his house and pulled it open, leaping inside with Ella still howling and wriggling. He walked towards the sofa, where he had laid out some blankets and pushed the table close to stop her from falling, and put her down into the soft nest that he had prepared. He heated up some milk in the microwave and then poured it into a small jug. To his surprise, Ella stopped her crying and sucked on the lip of the jug, drinking the warm milk and occasionally stopping to wriggle back to a comfortable position. Charlie sat with her, talking to her about her daddy, until finally her eyes fell shut and her breathing got heavier. She was happy, contented and safe. That was what he wanted. Now all he had to do was wait for Robbie and Tasha to start searching, and then he could jump in and show them how well he had cared for their baby. Little did he know that his "perfect" plan was soon to take a mind-blowing turn that would leave the whole of Summer Bay reeling…

Archived