A quick chat with...Paul O'Brien

Guest Tasha

I found this interview in Monday's MX with Paul O'Brien

Home and Away star Paul O'Brien digs deep for his art

Tell us about Love is a Square.

IT was a short file I did before I got the gig on Home and Away. Basically it’s four people who are in relationships. They’re a couple of friends. Through time everyone slept with the other person and it finished up with the girls snogging and getting it on.

Did you draw on any real-life experiences?

I haven’t had that many relationships to say ‘Hey, let’s get bored of our partner and crack on to another one.

What do you prefer, short films or TV?

It is an even love. At the end of the day, I guess it is all about working with people and solving problems.

What would be your ultimate role to play?

I wouldn’t mind doing a really complex person or someone with an ailment. I was working on a one-man show before Home and Away with six characters. There was a guy in St Kilda who walks the streets and I studied him. It’s as though he can hear telephone conversations. He jerks his hands, rocks forward and always wears a suit.

You do salsa dancing?

I did a few classes. I had a mate who had an arranged wedding in India. His wife-to-be love it, so he went to this mad journey of learning how to salsa and I went along. I’d do Dancing with the Stars :)

Where do you keep your Logie for Best New Talent?

It’s next to my palm tree in my room. It roams around a bit. People come around and pick it up. I have a mate that looks a little like me and he has taken photos with it and put it on his phone screensaver.

What do you miss about Melbourne?

Definitely the weather. Nah, fashion. Melbourne has got the funk. The diverse people as well. It’s the only place where there are all these out-there or artistic people.

MY TOP 5 Actors

1. Matt Damon. He has some really strong performances.

2. Anthony Hopkins. He always brings a bold performance to the screen.

3. Tom Hanks. I admire anyone who has made it big so to speak.

4. Eric Bana. I like his comedy stuff beforehand and I like people who have a mixed bag of stuff.

5. Johnny Depp. He’s up there with matt Damon for his different roles.

TELL US SOMETHING WE DON’T KNOW

“I love climbing trees. It’s the combination of the part of the tree and the liking climbing things. Hanging out, being part of the tree.”

Tell us about Love is a Square.

IT was a short file I did before I got the gig on Home and Away. Basically it’s four people who are in relationships. They’re a couple of friends. Through time everyone slept with the other person and it finished up with the girls snogging and getting it on.

Hmm, yes, that sounds very credible!

Archived