Lyn Collingwood interview

Guest Andy

LYN COLLINGWOOD Actress

Evening Times, U.K.

11 August 2006

LYN COLLINGWOOD was born in Sydney, Australia, in 1940. She caught the acting bug while at university and went on to appear in the movies Palm Beach, A Dangerous Summer and Dead-End Drive In.

In 1988 she landed the part of busybody Colleen Smart in Home And Away, which can be seen every weekday on five.

She is widowed, has a daughter, Jane, and lives in Sydney.

WHAT'S YOUR DREAM SATURDAY NIGHT?

I'd like to spend a proper Saturday night in Bath, strolling around and having a good look at it. The last time I was there I got waylaid because I saw Anne Charleston was in a pantomime and I ended up seeing Mother Goose.

WHAT DO YOU DO TO GET READY FOR IT?

I'd have to buy something, probably some very nice shoes.

IF YOU COULD MAKE ONE LAW FOR SATURDAY NIGHTS, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

I'd get rid of loud noises. My daughter 's a hearing aid practitioner so I'm very aware of it. I'd ban loud music in restaurants as well.

WHAT'S THE BEST SATURDAY NIGHT OUT YOU'VE HAD AND THE WORST?

The first time I tasted a proper Italian pizza. That was rather romantic, although I can't remember who I was with now, it was a long time ago.

The worst was probably going to some big event where I didn't know anybody. I'm not very good at small talk.

WHO WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO SPEND YOUR WEEKEND WITH?

The cast of Journey's End, which I saw at the New Ambassadors Theatre in London earlier this year. I found it one of the most moving nights out. I'm a bit jaded about theatre because I see a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with anything. I'd like to spend a Saturday night with the director of that because it was so truthful and beautifully directed.

DO YOU LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND AND FREE TIME?

No, not really because I sometimes have days off during the week, and I direct shows in Sydney. Quite often my weekends are taken up with working on that.

I don't necessarily make a big thing of Saturday night. In fact, I'd rather be at home and go out some other night of the week.

WHAT SORT OF A SUNDAY PERSON ARE YOU?

I like picnics. We've got a nice harbour beach in Sydney called Nielsen Park. You can walk around the harbour, end up at the park, have a swim then go for a meal.

HOW DO YOU HANDLE HANGOVERS?

I like a glass of red wine, but I don't get hangovers.

WHICH CITY IS THE BEST FOR NIGHTLIFE AND WHY?

I went to Prague a long time ago and thought that was the most magical city in the world for just about everything. One night I went into an observatory there and watched the stars. It was amazing.

WHAT DID YOU GET UP TO LAST WEEKEND AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS WEEKEND?

Last weekend I caught up with some university friends for lunch.

This weekend I'll be learning my lines and I might be doing a bit of babysitting.

The first time I tasted a proper Italian pizza. That was rather romantic, although I can't remember who I was with now, it was a long time ago.

Lol! That was a rather sweet answer.

It was a very odd interview though, but I think Lyn handled it well :P

Thanks for posting :)

Archived