I want a pint of milk in Summer Bay

Guest stifler

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But wasn't he all embarassed because it was where Madge Wilkins worked? And then Colleen was covering for her? Considering Madge is second only to Colleen as far as SB gossip goes, I assumed she worked in the Bay. As she is quite old, I thought she wouldn't travel to Yabbie Creek to work, just have a little job locally (like Colleen does).

But wasn't he all embarassed because it was where Madge Wilkins worked? And then Colleen was covering for her? Considering Madge is second only to Colleen as far as SB gossip goes, I assumed she worked in the Bay. As she is quite old, I thought she wouldn't travel to Yabbie Creek to work, just have a little job locally (like Colleen does).

How far away is Yabbee Creek supposed to be though?

How far away is Yabbee Creek supposed to be though?

I'm not sure, a few miles down the road maybe? I don't imagine it takes very long to get there, a short bus trip maybe?

Maybe it is in Yabbie Creek. I just thought she worked in the shop in the Bay and that's how she knows everyone's business. The Bay must be quite big, for a small town (if that makes sense!) because of the High School. There are wuite a lot of student's and they must live in the Bay or very near. If they were from further away, there wouldn't be a High School in the Bay, they would all go to Yabbie Creek. It doesn't make sense for there not to be a shop of some sorts.

I think there is a supermarket there, though. I remember Ric mentioning it, I think, and also Tasha and Robbie have to buy their food and none of them have cars (does Robbie? After it went over the cliff? I can't remember...)

I think there are a few places in the bay that we don't actually see. I mean, we only ever see the diner, surfclub, school, beach, caravan park and about 6 houses, so there is obviously more to the town that we actually get to see.

I think the curiosity is because a lot of us are so used to seeing British soaps (whether or not we actually watch them!) where there is a corner shop, pub etc. and these are integral parts of the show, whereas H&A has the surfclub and diner instead.

It is strange though that we never see anyone going to the shops! :huh:

Maybe because seeing Leah buying a loaf of bread isn't that exciting! I'm sure if something good was going on, like Kit (or Irene) buying vodka, or when Ric bought the condoms, we would see it! Remember the garage? Ken used to own it, I'm sure someone bought it after he died, but we never see it now :huh:

Even in English soaps, people don't go to the shops just to buy something. They are used as a place where characters interact. I guess Summer Bay's interaction revolves more around other places, like the Diner and Surf Club. Why do people in Summer Bay not eat at home? Why do people in Corrie drink so much and who babysits? Why does no one in Albert Square have a washing machine? :P:lol:

True, but most soaps you at least see a shop, even if you never see people go inside. The way H&A si filmed makes the bay look like a town that consists solely of a school, surf club, diner, police station and hospital (and we never see the outside of the police station or hospital!). Those are the only places we ever see, other than a handful of houses and the beach. It just seems strange when this is all we see, then they have things like school plays and town meetings and you see about 50 people there who you never see otherwise! :lol: It's not even like we ever see any houses or anything unless they are directly involved in the storyline, when was the last time we saw someone walk down a street past houses where the main characters don't live? Does anyone (other than the Hunters and Holdens) have a next door neighbour? It all seems kind of weird!

Remember the garage? Ken used to own it, I'm sure someone bought it after he died, but we never see it now :huh:

I seem to remember a storyline with Nick (2001??) where he was upset because the garage was demolished/converted into something else.

Archived