Hewitts sue over cruise photos

Guest Becstar

Hewitt sues over cruise photos

February 06, 2006

TENNIS star Lleyton Hewitt and his soap star wife have taken a Sydney restaurant magnate to court over photos taken of them during a 2004 harbour cruise.

Hewitt and wife Bec Cartwright are seeking damages over the pictures, snapped on their romantic pre-Christmas cruise on yacht The Sunseeker.

The couple is suing Christopher and Judith Crawley and their associated companies for an unspecified sum after the photos were published in the Sydney's Sun-Herald newspaper on December 26, 2004.

The photos were taken by a freelance photographer – hired by the Crawleys – who then passed the shots on to the Sun-Herald for publication.

The Crawleys, who own Sydney's Jordan's seafood restaurant and city nightclub Jackson's on George, are countersuing Hewitt and Cartwright over the $3971 non-payment of the five-hour cruise.

Lawyer for the Crawleys, Andrew Fernon, today told Downing Centre Local Court Hewitt and Cartwright claimed the Crawleys engaged in deceptive and misleading conduct, resulting in a breach of privacy and loss of commercial opportunity of up to $100,000.

Advertisement:

"Much of the dispute in this case will result from whether the photographs were for promotional purposes or whether the photographs were meant to be for a promotional noticeboard within the business of my client," Mr Fernon said.

No payment had been received for the photographs, he said, and the Crawleys, at Hewitt's request, had tried to stop them being published without success.

Hewitt was present in court today but his lawyer Peter Braham apologised for Cartwright's absence, saying the former Home and Away star needed to be at home to care for the couple's baby daughter, Mia.

The hearing, before magistrate David Reiss, continues.

Sorry but I have to say what a bunch of crap!!

I hope they lose their court case... "Invading their privacy" that is so laughable when they pimped their baby Mia's photo's all over Woman's Day..

That really irratates me and I can't stand Lleyton! He is also in a legal battle with a supposed best mate of his who wanted to distribute a DVD of them and tennis etc.. <_<

^ Have to agree. They can't have it both ways. Ok, so they don't want people taking pictures of them 24/7, but they have to accept that it's going to happen if they court publicity like they do. Do they really need to sue? It's not like the extra money is going to make any difference to them. 'Petty' is the word that springs to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I Agree that sueing the company is pathetic. They are only photo's, and they already have millions, so who could really be bothered? Bec has already made a fortune for her "baby diary" that she does for the woman's day. I must also say, Bec's articles are the most boring things I have ever read in my whole life! All it pretty much contains is "Mia pooped her nappy when i was feeding her at David Jones" and " Mia smiles alot now". It's pretty boring stuff, and they flog the one set of pictures woman's day have taken for all they are worth! <_< . Some celebrities will sue anyone for anything these days. They fly around in first class, stay in 5 star hotels, have more money than most people will ever see, so it's not all bad. I think it is wrong how they basicilly get stalked by photographers who invade their privacy, but they must know that when you are a celebrity, this happens.

• 4 weeks later...

WTF???? Sueing people for taking their picture??? I smell a rat here, I think the media have really turned the table's to make it look like they are the enemy.

That artical is a bunch of bull crap. I'll have to do some research into it.

I agree they had to thought about it before they got into that career so they have to bear it.

They have gone too far over this too, but we gotta respect their private life.

I Agree that sueing the company is pathetic. They are only photo's, and they already have millions, so who could really be bothered? Bec has already made a fortune for her "baby diary" that she does for the woman's day. I must also say, Bec's articles are the most boring things I have ever read in my whole life! All it pretty much contains is "Mia pooped her nappy when i was feeding her at David Jones" and " Mia smiles alot now". It's pretty boring stuff, and they flog the one set of pictures woman's day have taken for all they are worth! <_< . Some celebrities will sue anyone for anything these days. They fly around in first class, stay in 5 star hotels, have more money than most people will ever see, so it's not all bad. I think it is wrong how they basicilly get stalked by photographers who invade their privacy, but they must know that when you are a celebrity, this happens.

I agree with this too, they shouldnt try to sue people over photos.

Typical is one word that comes to my mind with these lot! Celebrity's don't mind making the money and getting the good publicity, but when somone does something seemingly normal but bad to them, the lawsuits come out.

If they don't want the attention, don't become a celebrity. They all know what it entails and basically the public in a way, own them, if they are not interested in these celebs anymore, their careers are over, and vice versa. So I agree with you all on this one. :)

Archived