More Questions Than Answers

Guest WYN100

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) HI !! ISN'T IT GREAT TO HAVE THE FULL FORUM OPTIONS BACK !! :D AND A HUGE THANKS TO CHRIS FOR ALL HIS HARD WORK IN GETTING THAT TO HAPPEN !! :)

**PART FIVE**

Leah Baker was beginning to believe that the old adage "no peace for the wicked" must somehow , somewhere have been conceived specifically to apply to her own situation that morning. Not that she'd BEEN particularly wicked she mentally added for the record , but firstly VJ had chosen that breakfastime to practice juggling with the contents of a box of eggs - then there'd been that slightly puzzling letter from Alex that was going to need a careful second look.

Work had verged between hectic and wholly impossible as strawberry shakes and full brunch specials contesting with Alf Stewart for a limited floorspace proved they were an equation that could only have an explosive outcome all round.

But now she was home - and planning to take full advantage . Dan was presumably still at the campaign meeting -VJ still at playgroup for another few hours, and there was a deliciously attractive triangle of an empty couch, daytime TV and a huge mug of hot chocolate with cream with HER name on it, just waiting to be appreciated. Humming happily to herself she poured and stirred the drink, and decided to convert the triangle into an even more decadent rectangle by selecting a large packet of cookies to take through with her.

Scuttling eagerly into the main room she placed the refreshments on a convenient side-table, hopped aboard the end seat of the couch, and emitting a tiny squeal of contentment, hugged the cushion to her chest with a fervour of which even her husband may have been a little envious.

"I WAS ADDICTED TO MARRIAGE" screamed the banner caption announcing the discussion title for the Springer-style talk show that was just beginning. She'd occasionally thought herself to be a little racy, chalking up two weddings herself by the mid-twenties - but THIS woman seemed determined to keep her local celebrants in work single-handedly for the rest of the decade at least ! She snuggled happily down, but even before husband number four had made his finger-jabbing appearance, the sound Leah probably least wanted to hear of any in the world cut through the cosily relaxing ambiance she'd created for herself. She'd been about to dab some lavender oil on her temples, but was now more tempted to hurl the bottle straight at the TV screen.

The knocking on the kitchen door grew ever more strident, already way past the point up to where you kid yourself it can possibly be ignored. An exact reverse of the Leah that had so recently entered the main room in such happy anticipation now plodded out the steps of the return journey. It was a hard task indeed to smother an audible groan on raising her eyes and identifying the panel-thumper as -- Alf Stewart.

Her face written large with reluctance, she limply opened the door as Alf swept past -clearly determined to say his piece. Taking off his "all-occasions" straw hat and setting it on the table he offered from beneath a furrowed brow "I'm sorry about getting in yours and Irene's faces earlier on Leah love, but, " when you hear what I've got to say, you'll realize why it just can't wait any longer."

In the other room, husband number six was berating the Monarch of matrimony for the poor choice of toothpaste that he claimed saw their union crumble --looking at Alf's face, Leah feared her problems were about to soar hugely higher than those of oral hygeine......

"What the hell do you MEAN you don't know their STATUS ???" The agitated, trauma-generated question was hurled at a junior officer from the Armed Response unit - who'd done little more than sit in the car and knew even less about the sudden and precise incisions that took them into the Building Society office.

The demand came from someone who'd played a pivotal role in the nerve-shredding final minutes of the robbery.

Claire Brodie had dropped to the floor the moment the first shot had rung out. She'd played a high stakes hunch, gamble, instinct - whatever you cared to call it, and had lain in an agony of indecision while the chokingly taut drama had played itself out above her head. The blood in her veins had chilled on more than one occasion , particularly when she'd heard the older gunman make the threat about harming her head, and she's uttered many a silent prayer that Peter would come through unscathed - HER Peter, who she'd been forcibly reminded by the jarring events of the day was completely irreplaceable in her life - unconsciously replicating the identical life sentiment Peter had expressed mentally about her less than 30 minutes previously. And then - as she'd somehow senses would happen, the moment arrived - the thief became careless -baiting Peter over what the police could or couldn't do if they arrived and with one eye eased open just a fraction of a millimetre she'd reached and grabbed his ankle TIGHT, rolling a fraction as she did so to avoid his full weight thundering down on top of her.

Then - all had been a daze. She'd registered just a semi-glimpse of her Peter launching himself at the villain, then other than the stomach-wrenching impact of the gunshot from the Armed Response team, all had been a chaotic bedlam in her mind . The younger robber cuffed and taken away - statements sought and taken from the customers caught up in the volatile scenario -and the ambulance crew wheeling out two...had they been bodies ?? She simply HAD to find out. And so up to date - hair matted and complexion blotchy from the stale and unrelenting heat inside , pounding the pavement outside with hugely mounting urgency for news of her man. Chest heaving she feinted left then right - her under-fire brain temporarily unable to compouteD the riddle of who to ask next,- and then she heard it - a crisply phrased emotionless piece of policespeak that hurled her into a tailspin " Constable Lee to Inspector Palmer - fatality in the first ambulance repeating - - fatality in the first ambulance" - like a chain of mini explosions detonating inside her that phrase and its possible implications swirled and crashed again...and again..

Flynn's car pulled into the small town as late afternoon was being tapped on the shoulder and asked to vacate its space by the oncoming early evening.

He noted with just a tinge of resentment how it never seemed to change or dare moving away from its regimented conformity. Regulation houses with lawns cut in regulation straight lines and front path gravel brushed to regulation shape. And - of course - it was quiet. That initial tinge of resentment began without prompting to flesh out into something altogether more substantial.

Modern music frowned upon - restricted television at even more restricted times of day - this was suburbia in leg irons, and while Flynn was far from a natural rebel in life, he felt the hackles rising already. He locked his car and strode smartly up a path that could have belonged to any of the 30 identikit houses either on that side of the road or opposite.

He stopped short in the act of raising his hand to rap sharply on the front door, continuing instead down the side of the house to the garden. Pleasantries were never on the agenda. He called straight across "So let me just imagine -this would be all YOUR doing, right ?"

His father turned, without emotion , and, discarding a pile of grass clippings observed "Clearly the fringes you inhabit of the so-called medical profession taught you FAR greater decency and decorum than the army ever could have- we retire gracefully defeated."

Flynn shook his head ruefully - fromthe moment he'd taken his first job as a counsellor to young alcoholics, he'd been effectively branded a pariah by his father, who had always seemed to believe that no career other than military service offered even a scrap of use to humanity. That was the position which had brought him into contact with Noah Lawson and subsequently Summer Bay where he'd lived, fallen in love and put down both family and professional roots- but his father had remained singularly unimpressed - even the isolated and barely tolerable day trip or two to see his son had brought no change.

"Guess the beaming welcome shouldn't have come as a surprise, but I'll cut to the chase - these calls I've been getting - about when I came here that time Sally had the cancer and didn't want me near - you behind them ?" His father placed a small spade and trowel on the wheelbarrow and began to push it away. Stopping briefly, he remarked over his shoulder "I don't expect you'll be staying ?"

Trying hard to suppress the raw anger rising inside him - as it inevitably ended up doing - Flynn turned on his heel "Fine - have it your own way - no change there of course - why dont you go and call the flowerpots out for a quick march round the garden while I get back to the real world, where people and families MATTER - but rest assured FATHER - I WILL sort this thing out - I can't afford not to !" The click of the back door closing marked the parting of the ways for father and son...

Kirsty Phillips had known real love just twice in her relatively short life. The major and abiding passion was of course Kane .Her liaison with the man now her husband had been born and grown in the most jaggedly inverted set of circumstances imaginable - in a family rocked by the the incursion of someone accused and controversially acquitted of attacking her sister, the fates had decreed that he would be the very man who'd explode so comprehensively into her heart. The overwhelming pressure from her family - the burden of guilt laid at her door - the adventure then heartache of their first elopement - their steely resolve against the united disapproval of Summer Bay - their wedding - the enforced flight through the treachery of his father Gus - through it all and much more, it had always been Kane.

Except - - - no witness to the situation could ever truly have denied that Kirsty had also felt genuine if very unexpected and a little confusing love on one other occasion.

When she'd first met this person chemistry and electricity had flowed between them with a power and intensity blunted only by events beyond their control - and even then, there'd been a sting in the tale. Yes, until being told they were related by blood - something proved later of course to be untrue - Kirsty had loved Dylan Russell and that love had most certainly been returned.

And now - here he was - smiling as he came through the door - as Jade's new boyfriend..

"Kirst ! Been ages !" - and as he kissed her on the cheek that cocktail of volatile emotions came cascading back at full force. With her cheeks firing a hot red, she became aware of Jade's eager inquiring look, awaiting her reaction.......

**PART SIX**

The campaign meeting had very quickly dissolved into a welter of intrigue once Kane had been summoned outside by Danni - on his return inside he became immediately and sharply aware of how the likes of Brad Pitt must feel on arrival at a film premiere or something of the kind.

The most curious of the assembled group such as Hayley had already stationed themselves near door and window in what had been a fruitless attempt to snatch some nugget of information that may have provided an answer or at least a clue.

"Kane- what did she want ??"

"Is she staying in the Bay ?"

"What did she SAY ??"

"Why did she call you out THERE ?"

"Is she after your blood again ??"

Having pushed through a group that strangely neglected to ask for his autograph , Kane held up both hands in a subduing gesture -

"All right, all RIGHT !!"

He'd only had a few seconds to think how he could gloss over Danni's stated and shocking aim for returning to the Bay, but he gave it his best shot.

Slipping back into one of the chairs by the big table, he forced a smile and said " I don't know why you all are getting so excited ! She just hadn't heard from Kirst for a while and wanted to check everything was ok- I said she'd gone out, but everything was ok and she went - simple as that !"

There were mingled murmurs of surprise, disappointment as maybe a trace of suspicion

"Oh ! Was that ALL ?"

"Aw, well that was nice of her"

"But why didn't she come IN ? I'd have liked to see her !"

"You were out there an awfully long time for just that..."

Kane smiled again - maybe a fraction more forced this time - "Oh, I just asked her about her writing and stuff - sorry guys, no story here ! Now - can a guy get a private moment round here or what ?" - and, getting up, he headed for the bathroom. The campaigners then began to drift off - Barry and Dan going together - Scott heading off on a few errands and leaving only Hayley, who'd been the most sceptical about Kane's story. Still brooding a little, she began to busy herself with clearing up the cups and various documents from the table , but halted at the sound of a cellphone text alert. She knew it wasn't hers, but looking across saw that the screen of Kane's phone was still illuminated.

Curiosity rising within her at a frenetic rate, she shot a glance over her shoulder at the bathroom area, picked the phone up and without thinking, plunged the "Read" key . Flashing up before her eyes she read " I hope I'll be able to rely on you - we'll speak soon - D"

Re-setting and replacing the phone, Hayley's eyes were wide as she attempted to digest the words and their possible implications......despite Kane's statement to the contrary, it looked very much as though there WAS undoubtedly a story here - it was just a case of finding out what it was.......

Beth's hands were still shaking a little as she lifted the kettle to pour out the hot water. She was back in the kitchen of her own house, and while black coffee wasn't normally her drink of choice, it now seemed decidedly appropriate and even neccessary for how she was feeling.

She set the cup down uneasily on the table, prepared to sit down, but being struck by a sudden thought, headed across to the door she'd slammed shut only 10 minutes previously and needlessly but strenuously jiggled the handle up and down to make sure it was shut. She returned slowly to the table and sat , still very edgy, blowing hard on the coffee to try and lessen the searing temperature before attempting to swallow any.

All the time her mind continued to churn - "Him ! - what was he DOING in town ? - she feared she knew - had he seen her at the bar ? - had it even BEEN him ? - that particular shaft of optimism had an extremely short shelf-life, and she angrily told herself it proved how irrational her thoughts were becoming. Of COURSE it had been him - she just wished fervently that it HADN'T. She gripped the handle of the coffee mug tight and tried to think herself into calmer waters. That ambition wasn't helped as a tap on the door saw her leap extravagantly like a bolting horse and send the scalding black liquid in the mug raining directly over a pile of papers adorning one side of the table. Even in her highly volatile state a mother's worry about what Robbie would say over his soaked documents flashed briefly across her mind.

She spun round nervously in the seat - her subsequent sigh of relief almost enough to dry out the papers as she saw Irene standing just outside.

"Gawd SAVE us love" said the visitor after she'd been let in and sat down "Are you OK ?? The way you jumped then I coulda been a flamin TRUCK comin' through that door - what the devil's up, girlie ?"

Beth looked evasive and tried to brush the incident aside - "Oh, it's nothing, honestly - I've just been working a bit too hard that's all"

Her attempt to radiate calm serenity was rather less convincing than a tone-deaf chorus line singer at an infant pantomime - and didn't Irene know it !

"Yeah right lady, and that last shower I came down in brought a flyin' pig down with it ! Now it's time for you to spill, and I'll cut to what I have a fair idea is the chase - who in the Holy heck is the guy who spooked you out of the bar less than 2 hours ago ?"

Beth flushed a violent crimson, but as she began to frame a denial, Irene closed in "Ah - so i see what Kim said WAS right -I went to find you after my shift and he told me everything - now look I don't want to pry or anything, but as a friend, wouldn't it help just a tad to fill in the blanks....?"

She looked across and was shocked to see tears beginning to trickle down the face that was turned back at her,

"Oh Irene I CAN'T, i just CAN'T...."....

Kirsty was feeling as if she'd been asked to swim a dozen lengths in a bath of treacle or knit fog to a tight deadline as he brain frantically attempted to compute the stunning data it had been presented with only minutes previously.

Dylan's kiss of greeting had unleashed a tidal wave of feelings and emotions she'd dealt with, agonized over and she considered then safely locked away some time previously And now - here was this guy who's held a stunningly brief - but almost unique- place in her heart- reappearing like this, and on top of everything, going out with her SISTER !?

She had of course been with Seb when Dylan had first arrived on the scene - good old, reliable, dependable Seb - but he'd been no fool. He'd been pretty certain all along that she'd never TRULY loved him, and so his pain had been all the more raw when he'd seen the meteor called Dylan soar into her life and heart before the whole Angie Russell scenario had seen it quelled almost as quickly. But as her heart thumped out a soundtrack to this wholly unpredictable turn of events, her subconscious was already screaming questions at her about just how completely those feelings had in fact indeed been quelled.

Kirsty'd frequently hear the line about how a dying person's life flashes before them - well. her life may not have been in danger here, but she was certainly getting a slightly more compact version happening to her now.

How could Jade possibly not have TOLD her about this ?? And - with a guilty start - what about Kane ? Where did he fit into all this ?

Realizing a response from her was becoming overdue, she gasped "Wow - Dylan --where - I mean how long,,,,?"

It emerged the two had met at a student party a few weeks back through a mutual friend and that Jade hadn't wanted to say anything too soon in case it had fizzled out - Kirsty finally found enough control to volunteer " So what are you doing these days Dylan ?" Something of a faraway look came into his eye as he replied "Oh a bit if this and a bit of that - you know how it is..."

"Oh isn't he AWFUL .." tutted Jade in mock annoyance " He hasn't even told ME properly yet !" - her smile betrayed she wasn't at all bothered by this omission, and was indeed flying very high at this new development in her life. After persuading Kirsty to take a later bus back home, Dylan proposed pizza and the girls were delegated to go and buy it while he stayed behind to get the table laid and heat up the plates.

"Well - what do you THINK ? hissed Jade as they gathered in the little entrance area outside the main door. Knowing the kind of shockwaves an HONEST reply would cause, Kirsty contented herself only with "Well - it's --- AMAZING !" before turning back into the main room. Jade scurried off to the bedroom to retrieve her purse. She was gone little more than a minute but even during that short time, she felt something being pressed into her hand. Darting her eyes first at Jade who'd moved across to put the oven on, she looked down quickly and saw a handwritten note, saying " CALL ME !!" - and a cellphone number written underneath .As Jade skipped happily up ready for their trip to PIZZA HEAVEN Kirsty shuffled slowly after her feeling as if this new daze descending upon her was reaching out to link hands with the earlier one - as she looked back once over her shoulder, her eyes were met by Dylan giving a thumbs up sign and one of his trademark appealing grins......that daze had most certainly settled in for the evening......

The visit of Danni and her "request" for his help had held centre stage in Kane's mind from the moment she'd re-entered her chauffeur-driven car and departed the beach house earlier on in the day.

His initial swift reaction had been to merely ignore it and carry on as normal. The gaping pitfalls of her plan had reinforced that early reluctance, but there was something about this "new" Danni that didn't brook even minor opposition.

He didn't know what it was - the power-dressing, the faultlessly coiffured hair - or maybe the granite-hard, indomitable confidence and determination she'd radiated. Either way, he could feel himself being drawn in to her plan almost as if he had no say in the matter. Checking his cellphone to see if Kirsty'd been in touch he noticed the text that Hayley had read earlier . His eyes narrowed with some curiosity to see that it had already been read, but that riddle was quickly drilled from his mind a few minutes later when the Bon Jovi ringtone leapt into life to indicate an incoming call -- Danni once again.

In crisp, economical tones and brushing aside his flimsy - almost token- objections, she told him to head for the Sands where they could talk further.

Kane's misgivings would have grown significantly had he known that his muttered half of their conversation had been seized upon hungrily by the ears of Hayley, pressed up tight and hard to the doorway of the bedroom where she'd migrated. She'd resolved to do everything it took to clear the mist and find some answers, - within a matter of seconds she'd heard the front door close, and after only a mere moment's hesitation, she was behind the wheel of her own car, tracking Kane from what she considered to be a safe distance.

A fraction ahead of her, Kane arrived at the Sands. Asa Hayley's car hovered around the entrance gate , her eyes widened as to where her prey had landed. There was no time to digest that discovery though, as Kane had already headed inside.

In spite of his earlier reasoning , Kane's pulse was already starting to pound as he made his way along the corridor. towards the large, double door of the business client suite . -- he breathed in deep breathed in , raised his hand to knock, - and was rooted to the spot as the question was posed, as if from nowhere "And would you mind telling me just exactly what you're doing here.....?"

**SORRY I'VE BEEN SLOW WITH THIS NEXT POST - BEEN ONE OF THOSE WEEKS !!! :o:) **

**PART SEVEN**

Leah could feel a small, indefinable , but very distinct knot of apprehension forming in her stomach as Alf set laboriously underway on the story he'd been attempting to tell for the largest part of that day so far.

Her initial reaction had been annoyance as she'd watched her coffee swiftly cool and congeal, while the dipping of the volume switch seemed to mortally sever her ties with the afternoon of indulgence she'd sworn to allow herself . Her eyes lingered briefly on the screen where the marriage Madame of Melbourne had entered a slanging match with a heavily tattooed husband number 6.

Forcing herself to tune in to what Alf was saying, she realized with faint alarm that he was already in full flow..

"....so you see love, that's when I started behaving as if I was Prince Flamin' Charles, flying to and from the States every five flamin' minutes, and buying into the Scarlet Bar like Donald flamin' Trump - thats when the chickens started coming home - all after I'd gone and sold you and Irene the business, like I say,"

Leah was flustered almost to the point of having two small birds flying in concentric circles around her head. She held up the palm of her hand to stem the flow.

"WHOA Alf, whoa....WHAT are you TALKING about ?.."

"The tax love - knocked me sideways it had got that high..."

"Tax ?? - what - and why are you telling ME ?"

His brow tightened...."Because...Leah love, the tax have hit me with a bill the size of Ayers Rock - and I need the money up front very quickly...."

Leah was becoming more puzzled by the minute --"So.....?"

He shifted uncomfortably..."And the diner's my best shot at getting it..."

Leah drew herself higher.."Now wait just a MINUTE..-you SOLD the diner to Irene and ME - it isn't yours to sell !!!!"

Alf's agonized twisting reached fever pitch as he managed to mutter "Um, actually love -it was the BUSINESS I sold you - the goodwill -the going concern - the actual BUILDING is still mine -and I've already had an offer to buy it....."

Leah gripped the back of the chair to chair to try and inject a fragment of reality into a day that seemed determined to descend into madness...

Flynn was attempting hard to suppress the levels of pure molten anger arising within him and spreading steadily through his veins.

A father who could scarcely look him in the eye -a father who couldn't set aside the prejudice of years - and a father who - he was convinced-had some hand in the series of phone calls he'd begun to receive.

a wiser period of reflection may have convinced him to leave well alone, but Flynn wasn't feeling especially wise.

Opting to remain on foot rather than re-board the car he quickly found the rows of identi-kit suburbia melting away around him, as he stalked onwards into a slightly more frayed-looking area, the houses here telling an equally comprehensive but very different tale about the occupants.

Flynn homed in one one semi-detached property at the end of a row and rasped on the panels with his hand. That bringing no immediate response , the skin covering his knuckles quick;y moved into crisis territory as he continued the assault. Eventually the door was answered by a girl in her mid 30's " All right all RIGHT - what the..."

"Where is she ?..."snapped Flynn attempting to force his way inside. The woman though remained dogged in barring the way.

"If you mean Lynsey, they've popped out - and I don't suppose SHE'D thank you for coming here and acting like something having a bad day at creche --now sort yourself out and GO AWAY !"

She attempted to close the door on him, but the angry one was already turning away- the time-bomb behind his eyes ticking almost audibly. After a few seconds deep in thought, he forged ahead once more to his right. eyes fixed firmly to the floor as he began churning the events over and over in his mind, only jolting out of those thoughts as two arms were weaved around his neck and he suddenly found himself being kissed full on the lips by an attractive blonde girl of about 27 who only drew breath to shrill "OOOOh - here he IS !!!...."

As Flynn attempted to draw breath both from the surprise embrace AND the situation, he'd have been something less than best pleased to know the embrace ha d been viewed with a keen interest by very familiar pair of eyes indeed....

Irene's coffee had now taken its place alongside Beth's, and the new arrival's face was wearing iys familiar look that combined suitably grave concern with just a dash of suitably restrained curiosity when she was about to try and extract a possible Big secret from someone.

Beth was still shaking - far less by now of course, but perceptibly even so, amd Irene realized that this latest version of Operation Big Secret may have to be trodden just a little carefully.

After a pause so pregnant that triplets could have been the only outcome, Irene placed her hand gently on Bath's shoulder and said "So love - this guy..? Who exactly IS he then ?..."

Moisture again threatened around the corner of Bath's eyes, but one huge, determined sip of the black coffee combined with a sturdy "man-size" tissue taken from one of six identical boxes purchased by Robbie - to stabilize her- and she began - still with a vague, rather disoriented air about her "O h Irene, its almost like a secret I've succeeded in keeping from MYSELF .., it was the late eighties - by then of course I already knew Jack was cheating on me ...with THAT ...woman - and how does it make you feel ? Early twenties - already the responsibilities of motherhood - and you know your husband - the guy you really - and I mean REALLY love - would rather look elsewhere ? Around this time a stock manager from the firm we were using had started calling -regularly - often I'd be the one having to sign things off so we got talking - and kept talking. He was a fraction older than me- no ties - no strings.."

"Are you sure you're ok Beth ?..." Irene chimed in gently

Her friend was clearly gripped with a resolve to forge on now with her account now it had begun .

"Then - this one weekend - Jack off with HER of course - I'd sent the kids to my parents' -was getting ready just to kick back, then -well he said he'd left a stock ledger behind the day before - I was on my own - vulnerable - and THEN it all just seemed SO right - it was wonderful in fact - but the hypocrisy of what I did has stayed with me day and night ever since -me criticising Jack -and all the while -doing EXACTLY what HE was doing !!"

And the sobs stormed back - bigger, deeper and more unrestrained this time as Irene put a protective and consoling arm round her shoulder

"Love, you did what ANY other woman in that same situation would have done - and that's for CERTAIN----but what's the problem with him showing up now ? Couldn't you just catch up for a chat and a coffee or someth....."

"NO !" snapped Beth - then, seeing the shock on Irene's face at her reaction drew a heavy, careworn sigh and, without turning to look at Irene, added slowly..."because......because....he thinks he's Robbie's father.....!"

Claire had spent the frantic car journey to the hospital desperately attempting to lock her mind into police training mode - remain mentally focused - keep clear goals - eliminate emotion - those and countless other sterile phrases from the force handbook rang more than a little hollow after the way her day had unfolded.

Remaining mentally focused was demanding to say the least when one had spent over an hour lying on the floor of a stifling building society office listening to a bank raid hostage drama being played out high above her - and to eliminate emotion when she could be minutes from finding that her life soul-mate had been killed by one of the bullets that should have helped rescue them was the nearest thing possible to being a complete non-starter.

"One fatality in the ambulance...one fatality...one fatality...ONE FATALITY...." was the phrase which had invaded and haunted her head and her mind since hearing it crackle through on the police car radio twenty minutes previously...

She suddenly realized how little she'd been aware of the heavy and sluggish nature of the traffic that had halted her progress throughout the journey almost to a crawl. But now she was here. As she parked and threw herself through the sliding doors, the macabre contest between "One fatality - - eliminate emotion - - stay focused - - one fatality - -keep clear goals - - ONE FATALITY " was escalating in her mind "Oh shut UP !" she spat into mid-air as she pounded a route to the relevant ward reception. That and her overall appearance of dishevelled chaos drew forth some puzzled glances from hospital staff and visitors alike but within seconds she was at the reception desk.

Standing - breathing deep and hard - the outlined the situation to the nurse in charge in a series of short, concise soundbites

"Sargeant Claire Brodie - Regional police (showing her ID card)- Building Society armed siege - I understand 2 casualties , 1 fatality ? - I need URGENT confirmation of identity !"

The sister nodded but something about her only just having come on shift needed reference back to an older , no-nonsense looking woman who swept out from the cubicle where she'd been sitting, saying

"Good afternoon Sargeant Brodie, I'm Senior Staff Nurse Jenkins - apologies for the delay - this has all happened so quickly we're still awaiting official identifications from your colleagues. Clearly the fatality's now within the process of being prepared for the mortuary, but the survivor is currently being monitored in our treatment ward just across the corridor - I'd be happy for you to see him if it would help ?"

If it would HELP ?? She'd gone past the point of feeling that anything could help quell the riot that seemed to be raging inside her body - led by a heart that seemed in serious danger of explosion at the stark all-or-nothing choice the Staff Nurse had put before her. Sister Jenkins of course new nothing of Claire's personal involvement in this, and put her by now wildly irregular breathing and near-scarlet complexion down to the stress of police work and today's events at the building society.

"I'll just leave you to it then...." she said and as she melted away into the background, Claire closed her eyes, mouthed a silent prayer, and edged round the door of the treatment ward. Just one bed was occupied, in the near left hand-corner . Claire reluctantly waved farewell to the moment where hope colliding with reality can any longer be postponed by slowly opening her eyes - looking down at the head propped on the pillow - and being struck with the most thunderous instant ambush on her thoughts and emotions she could ever possibly have envisaged...

Archived