More Questions Than Answers

Guest WYN100

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:) Thanks SO much for the nice replies I really appreciate them, SO glad if people may like it, but PLEASE say if/when it ever risks getting boring -THANKS - !! :)

**PART EIGHT**

"Whichever way you look at it, the risks of this whole scheme are just immense !" Barry shook his head and sipped slowly from the cup of coffee placed alongside the sheaf of documents at the end of the table. He and Scott had run into each other just outside Noah's Bar, and the intriguing visit of Danni to the beachouse was predictably high on the early agenda. Barry'd noticed immediately how Scott was wearing a distracted, unsettled air, so volunteered gently

"You alright Scott ? That would be the first time you've been near Danni since, ah..."

"Since she walked out on me to become a 'personality', you mean ? Yes you're right - but I'm fine about it - hardly registered."

To most observers, Scott's reply would have won few nominations in a poll searching out 'The Worlds Top 100 most convincing answers - ever!" To a headmaster used to watching pupils squirming uncomfortably in front of him on an almost daily basis as they looked to explain missing homework or rowdy behaviour - it never stood a chance.

"Scott , it wouldn't be at all surprising if Danni descending out of the blue like that shook you a little..- and what did HAYLEY have to say about it all...?"

"I've said it didn't, haven't I....." snapped back the curt reply - "Now, shall we look at these plans again or what ??"

And so, nodding slowly, Barry unfolded and examined the map and so came his comment about the implications of the scheme.

Having just witnessed what he believed to be Scott's real underlying response to it - he began to believe that the implications of Danni Sutherland's return to the Bay could also prove extremely volatile...

"Hi !"

"Hi yourself !"

It wasn't the first time that week that Kim Hyde and Cassie had crossed paths on the road running up from the beach and Surf Club to the main part of the Bay and Caravan Park - and she didn't mind one bit.

"You been busy ?" she asked with a smile

"Just finished a shift at the Bar and heading back to get my stuff to hit some afternoon waves - you ?"

"Oh , just bumping around - nothing much and nowhere much"

"Oooh, sounds a pretty full-on kinda day, " he grinned "Well why not head down to the beach and chill -after the shift I just had there's nowhere else I'd go, I know that much !"

"Oh cool, thanks - I may just do that !" beamed Cassie - in point of fact Kim had tossed out a vague suggestion about going doing something she did most days in a place frequented by scores of other people. Her response suggested more that he'd invited her for a candle-lit Valentines dinner at the Sands resort restaurant.

Cassie had in fact carefully choreographed the meeting with Kim that day, the day before and the day before that.

Since the whole initial on-off saga with Richad descended into a frosty civility at best, she'd had the feeling of searching for something in her life without being sure quite what it was.

Now she was. Worrying daily about Ric's frame of mind was a thing of the past. If Matilda wanted him, she could HAVE him. She-Cassie Compton -deserved a mature guy - one to respect and who respected HER. And Kim fitted the bill. He was cute, funny, and fit ..! .. well, don't get her started...a hot internal blush swamped her cheeks- but the reading of the Grand Plan continued unabated -Best of all he was SINGLE - and after all - he'd not had much luck with girls up to now, had he ! Brooke, Kit, that psych Zoe - and then the whole Hayley thing too ! Impulsively she trotted the few yards after him, squeezed his hand and called "Maybe see you later then !"

"Yeah, maybe," he smiled, before breaking into a steady jog home. Beaming happily at what she perceived the successful conclusion of Part One of the Grand Plan, she scuttled back down the hill in the direction of the Surf Club. As she did, a girl i her early thirties who'd been observing the exchange intently while leaning on a wall some distance away threw down her cigarette and strode purposefully away to a nearby parked car..

"Irene - I don't know where you are but this is the fifth message I've left you - as SOON as you get this - CALL ME BACK !"

Since Alf had slipped guiltily but gratefully away fifteen or so minutes previously, Leah had been crackling in a state of high agitation . She'd stalked around the house, barking messages into answerphones and churning those whole new reality round and round in her mind.

The revelations of the much married mother from Melbourne had long since been replaced by "Cajun cooking on a low budget" on the TV screen which continued to flicker in animated silence behind her - but even if there'd been a newsflash announcing Colleen Smart had joined Al-Qaeda, it's doubtful whether it could have pulled her away from the aftershock of the Alf Stewart bombshell.

She paused at the table and sat down impatiently. All time was wasted time until she and Irene had got their heads together to oppose this or, at least, to formulate a response that was in both their best interests.

She looked accusingly at the phone. She badly wanted it to ring but went on to delay that possibility still further as so many in that situation do, by picking up receiver and banging the buttons to check the line was working - it of course was.

A sudden remembered thought darted into her mind and she picked up the letter from Alex that she'd thought of earlier. Her brow creased as her brother skirted his way up to and then around something that was clearly playing on his mind "There's something we need to talk about, I'm sure you'll understand...." TYPICAL Alexei, why didn't he just come out and SAY it ?? ALWAYS avoiding issues as long as possible - just like that time with VJ ... VJ !!!! She sat bolt upright - outside the first traces of dusk were just beginning to fleck the afternoon sky -and wasn't Dan due to be picking him up today ? They should have been back AGES ago !

She reached for the phone that minutes previously she'd been urging to ring - now she could barely remember why. She urgently tapped in the number for the playgroup then drummed her fingers in aggravated impatience until a clear, friendly female voice could be heard "Summer Bay Playgroup, Miss Bell speaking !"

She was pleased to hear the headmistresses' voice, but ploughed

straight on "Miss Bell, it's Leah Baker - I was just getting a little worried -VJ spent the afternoon with you - I was a little surprised not to see him actually back home yet..?"

"Panic over Mrs Baker - they left an hour or so ago . !"

Leah's face relaxed to a smile of sorts, " So he and Dan left together ok then ?"

The reply was slower this time,

"Ah - no Mrs Baker - VJ went with the blonde lady - Mrs Vale ? - Amanda, I think its is....??"

The phone hung limp and lifeless in her hand ...Amanda had taken VJ from playgroup - there was no sign of them - and WHERE was Dan ? Incredible as it may have seemed minutes earlier, the sale of the Diner suddenly no longer rated top in her life priority list - THIS was REALLY serious..

Claire clutched at the bottom of the bed for support as a large, merciless hand seemed to be closing its grip on her windpipe...the guy lying in the bed was...NOT her hero, friend, love of her life Peter, but instead the face belonged to the older and more aggressive of the two bank robbers. He lay there breathing rhythmically as a tidal wave of anger and resentment began to rise inside her.

The implications of the discovery were beginning to set off deep intensity explosive charges all across her body "One fatality in the ambulance - one fatality- one fatality.." continued to beat a tattoo in her head , and as she looked down at the raider , and her body progressed towards the nausea stage, she felt an overwhelming urge to do something that - she felt - would avenge Peter. This guy had invaded theirs, and other - lives - had waved around a dangerous firearm as if it were a child's toy - baited Peter, threatened her - and now here HE was , on the mend, and at worst, facing the kind of routine prison sentence he was no doubt used to, while Peter ? Dear, sweet Peter had gone through hell that day, and was now ..well THAT was something she didn't want to think about, and certainly not now.

Each glance at the occupant of the bed increased the stock of bitterness inside her. With her senses screeching a manic trauma-driven cacophony and infringed love and base instinct, she gave a quick glance over her shoulder and began to reach up to the connector of the oxygen pump clamped over the gunman's face. The blood roared around her veins as she reached up, began very gently to turn the socket, then froze rigid on hearing "Sergeant Brodie, you stop what you're doing RIGHT THERE....!."

Another great installment. Cassie and Kim reminds me of the whole thing of Matilda fancying him when he first arrived in the Bay and I refuse to believe that Peter is the dead person! Great story though, keeps getting better, don't think it risks getting boring anytime soon.

**FINALLY :o got another part done !! lol - anyway hope it's not too long ago to remember !!, and someone still may like it ! :)

**PART NINE**

If Jesse McGregor had been forced to speculate and gamble on who the next person he would see as he guided his van away from the precise little upstate hamlet hours away from Summer Bay, the name of Doctor Flynn Saunders would most decidedly not have been his choice.

Jesse had put some much needed time and space between himself and the Bay following the upheavals in which he'd formed such a central part.

He'd found a small cottage in the adjoining district to where he was now -polished up some of his basic skills through night college courses, and now he'd begun to see some encouraging early signs of growth in his mobile handyman business . Called " JESS-T THE MAN YOU NEED !" , the slogan perhaps indicated his marketing side also needed a little refining - but it hadn't harmed too much so far ! He was picking up some steady trade among the lawyers, consultant doctors and others in the village where an almost surreal harmony seemed to reign.

Jesse was finished for the day and the route back to his home lay through the scruffier suburbs and out onto the intersection .Thinking of little more than whether it would be fried chicken or pizza for tonight's takeaway, his eyes were somehow drawn to the corner where two of the sidestreets met - and - there was an inevitable double-take before the gush of recognition -- "Flynn,,,well why the heck...." -but as he slowed the van a little that became "WHAT the heck...!!?" as Flynn was grasped, hugged and kissed in lightening succession by an attractive blonde lady .He'd now driven past the spot where the spectacle had taken place, but his curiosity was now aflame - he couldn't leave it like that, now could he ?

An impatient taxi tailgating his van forced him to drive quite a distance down the long straight road ahead, but eventually he was able to pull over, and once the cab had flown on past like an irritable wasp, Jesse performed a swift if a little clumsy u=turn and sped back up the road at the kind of speed at which devotees of the speed limit would have tutted and wagged their fingers. But his dash was not in vain. Looking hastily across at the corner the pair were no longer inhabiting, he gave a slight gasp of annoyance, but almost by some instinct his head swivelled just in time to the door of the first house where he spied noth the blonde locks disappearing off inside and Flynn - carefully checking both left and right down the street before pulling the handle shut.

A fascinated smile spread over Jesse's face --So - Doctor Whiter than White Saunders and the mystery blonde eh ? Jesse still retained an edge of resentment towards Flynn over the whole Leah saga, and the smile endured as he began to wonder whether what he'd seen might require a little return trip to the Bay maybe ? He eventually turned the key, gunned the engine and headed off.

Of course what had ACTUALLY happened while Jesse was being dogged by the short-tempered cab driver was rather a different story to the extravagant one his mind was already designing...

Leah's anger, frustration and concern were all reaching boiling point, like a perfectly synchronized stove-top of vegetables on Christmas Day.

It had been less than an hour since her internal warning system had alerted her that arrangements concerning VJ's return home had gone off the rails with Amanda seemingly a key player in the mystery. Unable to raise Sally, she'd tracked Irene down on her cellphone and she'd appeared after a short gap of time. But still no Dan - and the absence of her husband at such a critical moment was hugely adding to her problems in coping with all this.

Constable Harper had arrived to answer her frantic call to Yabbie Creek, but had effectively just stoked the fires of Leah's combustible mood by suggesting - effectively demanding - that she remain in the house while the search began. It was probably a very wise idea-cum-order from the officer as if Leah had run into Amanda while out and in this frame of mind it's highly likely she'd quickly have been answering charges of actual bodily harm on a bottle-blonde before the week was out.

"Now look darl." said Irene cradling Leah the consoling arm of hers that was almost legendary in such situations "the officer's right - you have a little sit down and I'll bring you a nice cup of tea , now...."

"I don't WANT a nice cup of tea.."...cut in Leah's barely-controlled growl.."I want my son BACK and how exactly is this HELPING ??"

She gently massaged her forehead with the tips of her fingers. "And after the DAY I've had..." She was on the point of revealing to Irene the shocking contents of Alf Stewart's earlier bad news bulletin, but decided just in time the current fraught scenario probably wasn't the best place for it. She became vaguely aware of Irene standing in her characteristic pose of being suspicious - fists on both hips , eyes beginning to wrinkle a little curiously and saying something about how she'd seemed alright that morning in the diner.

To avoid complication she muttered something about how maybe she would have that tea after all, and strode out to the kitchen where Harper was talking on his police radio while standing by the window. Paying scant regard to his conversation she jabbed his shoulder and demanded "Now look...."

Both however gave a start and jerked their heads round as the mounting tension was shattered by a blast of the phone bell in the room she'd just left. They both ran the few steps back with Harper hissing "Remember- keep them talking !!" - but Irene had already answered - and making her views stridently known "WHA-AT - now look missy, if you....."

The phone was snatched from her by Leah, who, breathing deeply, addressed her arch-nemesis "Amanda - whatever the hell game it is you're playing - you get my son back to me NOW"

Amanda was giving off an air of being extremely uncomfortable - "Ohh ..well maybe I....ah ... didn't Dan actually tell you in the end then...?" Leah tensed almost to crisis point "No, no he DIDN'T .... and.... where the hell IS he...??"....

Scott wandered slowly into the kitchen of the Hunters' - hands plunged deep in his pockets and brow equally deep in thought.

He barely registered his mother sitting at the kitchen table from where she hadn't yet moved since Irene departed on her errand of mercy to Leah's - let alone that her features seemed just as troubled as his - if not more so.

He slowly poured himself a glass of milk and wandered across, pulling out a chair to settle himself on.

Neither spoke for a few minutes before the inevitable silence-breaking collision of such moments..

"Mum.."/"Scott."

Then the equally inevitable "You go.." "No, you go..." before slowly - and very precisely Beth said "Scott, you children all know just how much I love you, don't you..and that I'm always here for you..?"

Scott looked up - the reason for the curiosity and confusion on his face having taken a sharp and unexpected turn.

"Of COURSE Mum - where did that come from ?.."

Still looking straight and directly ahead of her, Beth gave a miniature but still uncertain smile and said " Oh nowhere - nothing- I just wanted to..to...say it, ok ?"

She squeezed Scott's hand - she was glad he was here after the upheaval her day had brought, but still exceptionally protective of a secret that could go NO further. Summoning up a smile marginally further up the convincing scale she urged him "Now go on, what's troubling YOU ! Don't try telling me THAT face doesn't hide a story !

Scott's face had already resumed its' previous stony quality as she studied him closely.

"Well, sweet..?"

Her concern quickly converted into a jolt of alarm as he continued..

"Mum - if someone from your past just shows up out of the blue, you have to be honest with yourself, right..?"

It was then his turn to receive in the tennis match of astonishment going on between them as she recoiled and spat

"Just what the heck do yo mean by that Scott ? I don't know who exactly you've been talking to, but..."

"Whoa, mum, steady ! Look I don't know what I said wrong, but I was talking about DANNI !!...."

Her hand flew to her mouth - "OH - Danni ! Oh - I thought..."

A knock at the door interrupted and her eyes darted anxiously between her son and the door - "Wh..who's that ?"

"It could be this guy I saw outside I guess.." Scott volunteered, his face steeped in confusion.

"WHAT guy..?"

"Just some guy - parked just before me - seemed to be waiting for something...Mum, what's going ON ?"

A Beth torn precisely down the centre by indecision DIDN'T appear to have an immediate answer to that...

Todd Allison had always placed tact and discretion as two "non-negotiable" elements of his working life - so when he'd dropped Danni at the Beach House earlier in the day, he'd stopped the car a little distance away from the destination, returning only when he saw that his latest boss/client had finished whatever she'd been doing there.

Hence he'd not seen Kane emerge into the garden for the rather surreal conversation with Danni, and SO, when he opened the door of his apartment high up in the business wing of the Sands resort and noticed a guy on whom he'd never clapped eyes starting to inch his head through the partly open door of Danni's suite located directly adjacent while one hand slowly lowered the painted gold handle, not only did he issue his warning question but in one clean, crisp move had jerked him round by the collar and twisted him arm directly and tellingly up behind his back.

Thrown immediately into a daze of confusion, Kane attempted an exploratory wriggle for freedom, but with that gaining him less than a centimetre in Scott's tight grip, he exclaimed with no aggression "OK, OK I'm here to see Danni - - Danni Sutherland !" Todd was too cluey to trot out the "a likely story" response the police would have favoured, he pushed the door open further, still holding Kane and called inside to Danni.

She soon arrived, looking a little bewildered but also a little amused by Todd's thorough restraining job, giggling "My hero !" as they all trooped inside. In the better light of the suite itself, Danni's mouth widened on observing Kane's dishevelled appearance

"Wow Todd you've almost ripped that t-shirt straight off him on that side - you'll just HAVE to change that Kane ! Can't have you walking out of a swish place like this looking like a scarecrow boxing champion, that's for sure !"

Todd was dispatched to his room with a sparkling, favour-winning smile from Danni to get a replacement, while Kane headed into the bathroom to take off the torn item.

Danni sat on her bed, smiling and shaking her head at the mini-wrestling tournament that had taken place in the corridor . Almost habitually for any "free" time, she began sifting through a sheaf of business papers, pausing then to answer the phone which twice rang in a steady, single blast, clearly from reception.

"Miss Sutherland?.."

"Speaking !"

"Hello there it's Tanya from Reception here - ,I just wanted to tell you there's a lady on her way up to see you.."

Danni's nose wrinkled in a little surprise - she hadn't been expecting anyone but Kane.....

"I knew it would be alright of course.." merrily continued the oblivious Tanya , ".....because she says she's your sister !"

Danni's knuckles gripped white round the phone receiver - in the situation and dynamic currently prevailing there in the business clients' wing of the Sanda, this just would not do...

A vague but rising sensation of panic began to grip the inside of Danni's stomach and play a in internal panic alarm all of its very own.

"She should be with you any minute.."

Tanya's voice by now seemed to be coming from some far distant galaxy as Danni's lurching brain searched imploringly for inspiration and her heart thundered out the alert of approaching crisis. No, right at the moment this would simply not do AT ALL..

Archived