I wasn't the best: Ada

Guest *dW*

I wasn't the best: Ada

November 09, 2005

ADA Nicodemou may have won Dancing with the Stars, but the Home and Away starlet admits she wasn't the best celebrity dancer in the reality competition.

Nicodemou and dance partner Aric Yegudkin last night took out the third series of the popular Seven Network show, beating newsreader Chris Bath and partner Trenton Shipley.

"Chris is definitely the better dancer," said Nicodemou, who plays Leah Patterson on Home and Away.

"I really didn't think I would win. I honestly thought that Chris was going to take it out and I would have been equally as stoked over that as well."

Bath was a favourite going into last night's final, having consistently secured top marks from judges Todd McKenney, Helen Richey, Mark Wilson and Paul Mercurio.

Bath's final performance – including a high octane sendup of her newsreader role – earned her 106 points out of a possible 120 while Nicodemou scored 103.

But the judges votes were then combined with viewer votes to secure Nicodemou the title and put her in the company of previous series' champions Bec Cartwright and Tom Williams.

"I am glad Chris got the higher scores because she deserves those," Nicodemou said.

"At the end of the day, we both made it to the final and that is all that really matters."

The third series of Dancing with the Stars has again pitted celebrity against celebrity.

This season's celebrity flock has included former Australian Idol judge Ian "Dicko" Dickson, actor Michael Caton, model Nicky Buckley, Bollywood star Tania Zaetta, former Olympic swimmer and declared National Living Treasure, Dawn Fraser, athletes Brodie Holland and Ky Hurst, and singer David Campbell.

Each celebrity was paired with a professional dancer to train and compete in the live television knockout dancing competition.

"We don't have variety television on anymore," explained Nicodemou when asked about the show's success.

"People are sick of the reality stuff. They love seeing people being vulnerable and then seeing them grow and at the same time being entertaining."

Gossip magazines and even one of the judges suggested love could have blossomed between Nicodemou and Yegudkin, something the starlet disputes outright.

"Aric is like my brother," she laughed.

"We laugh like brother and sister and argue like brother and sister.

"We have a great work relationship but that is as far as it goes."

Hosted by Daryl Somers and Sonia Kruger, Dancing with the Stars has been a massive success for Seven with last night's show the most watched program of the evening, attracting a national audience of 2.22 million people.

Having won the final, Nicodemou and Yegudkin now face a dance off with series two winners Tom Williams and Kim Johnson.

Those shows will air over the next two Tuesday nights at 8.30pm (AEDT).

The winner of the first series, former Home and Away starlet, Bec Cartwright is now married to tennis star Lleyton Hewitt and due to give birth to their first child soon.

Archived