Bec may quit soap

Guest kells

Bec may quit soap

From Sydney Confidential and wires

May 09, 2005

news.com.au

EXPECTANT mum Bec Cartwright has hinted she may quit her long-running stint on TV soap Home and Away when she gives birth to her first child later this year.

Cartwright has told New Idea magazine her contract with Home and Away ends later in the year, which works out perfectly for her.

The 21-year-old confirmed on Friday she is pregnant to fiancee Lleyton Hewitt and is due to give birth in November.

She has played Hayley on Home and Away for six years.

The celebrity duo became engaged in late January.

Hewitt, who's 23, will travel to Europe in the coming weeks to compete in the French Open and Wimbledon.

He says since their engagement, Cartwright has been his priority before tennis, and his new wife and baby will give him more motivation to win.

Cartwright also revealed she is suffering from severe morning sickness and has been ill on the set of the beachside soap.

"I've been suffering not just morning sickness but all day sickness which isn't fun when you have to go to work and be as perky as Hayley," she tells the magazine.

"Also, to keep it a secret for the first three months I've tried to be as normal as possible so no one catches on," she says.

She initially thought it was a stomach bug, caught from her sister when the sickness came on.

"But then I started getting suspicious and I found out that this bug was going to stick around a little longer."

The star said she and Hewitt were awaiting furniture to be delivered to their new $4.5million Palm Beach palace and would now have to order more to fit out a nursery for the child.

"When we walked through the house our parents were joking around and said: 'Oh this room could be the nursery,' but we didn't even know then," she said.

She has also gone off her favourite food - chocolate - and is craving garlic bread, garlic pizza and apples.

"And I can't stand the smell of coffee," she says.

She said she expected people to think "they do things quickly" but the couple were taking parenthood very seriously.

According to Hewitt, family comes before tennis but we won't be losing him from the spotlight.

"I'll be playing as many tournaments as I can next year and trying to keep my ranking in the top couple in the world," he told the magazine.

Bec may give away Home and Away

AAP Bulletins

9 May 2005

? 2005 Australian Associated Press Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved

SYDNEY -- Bec Cartwright has hinted at plans to quit her long running stint on TV soap Home and Away when she gives birth to her first child later this year.

Cartwright and her tennis star fiance Lleyton Hewitt have spoken to New Idea magazine about their baby, expected in November.

"My contract (with Home and Away) ends later on in the year, so that works out perfectly for me and I'll just stick with this guy for a little bit, I think," said Cartwright, referring to Hewitt.

The celebrity duo became engaged in late January, only six weeks after they began dating and on the night of Hewitt's loss in the final of the Australian Open.

The 21-year-old has played Hayley on Home and Away for six years. Her TV character is also pregnant.

"It'll be at the end of the year (the birth) so it's after the grand slams at least," Hewitt told the magazine.

Hewitt, 23, will travel to Europe in the coming weeks to compete in the French Open and Wimbledon.

"The baby is obviously going to be our main priority," he said.

"Since we've been engaged, Bec has been my priority before tennis.

"I'll be playing as many tournaments as I can next year and trying to keep my ranking in the top couple in the world.

"It'd be fantastic to win another major with a new baby and my new wife around me. It's a little bit more motivation."

The couple met five years ago at a Starlight Foundation charity tennis day, but only became close late last year after Hewitt's split with Belgian tennis star Kim Clijsters.

They say they're yet to set a date for the wedding.

"We were planning on getting married at the end of the year," Hewitt said.

"But obviously that's not going to happen now. We're back to square one.

LETTERS

The Sydney Morning Herald

11 May 2005

Their advantage

I've just read that Bec Cart- wright plans to quit Home and Away after giving birth. If that's the case, not only will she get the baby bonus but, given that she's not working, she'll also be eligible for the full Family Payment Part B. If Lleyton has a bad year, an extra $114 a fortnight could prove very handy indeed.

Tony Hughes Ashfield

Archived