Parata's timeline

LD43

I've realised that the Parata's timeline just doesn't make sense.

Ari joined the show at the end of 2019 and once Chloe and Mia arrive in the bay in 2021, it is said that it has been ten years since they saw each other. We then later find out that Ari and Mia's son, Kauri, would have been 11 that April, putting his birth in 2010.

When Tane tells Mackenzie about Kauri, he says that a year later Ari was in prison. This is rather vague as it isn't said how long Ari had already been on prison a year after Kauri's death, but I assume it was towards the end of 2010 or early 2011.

It is stated a number of times that the judge gave Ari a 10 year sentence, which means he would have been released in 2021, not in 2019 (assuming he was released less than a year before arriving in the bay). This could be put down to him getting parole, but we find out that by saving Dean, Ari messed up his parole. Therefore, Ari would have served the full 10 years, suggesting he went to prison in 2009.

This leaves a one and half/two year difference.

I've probably thought about this too much ?

Chloe is 21 when Matthew arrives and we find out Mia got pregnant at 16. She would have then given birth to Chloe at 16/17, making Mia 37/38 at this time (Extremely similar in age to Ari who was 37).

We know that Ari and Mia were together about 8.5/9 years before he went to prison.

If Ari went to prison in 2009, he would have met Mia when they were 15/16, at which point Chloe would not have been born yet.

If Ari went to prison in 2011, he and Mia would have met at 17/18, when Chloe would have been born and be around the age Ari said she was when they met.

As much as I liked the extensive off-screen history between Ari and Mia, it seems that when they were introduced someone maybe rounded down the time they hadn't seen each other in, but then forgot to adjust how old Kauri would have been.

Whole Parata's back story hasn't been explained well at all.

When Ari went to see Tane to tell him to stay away from Nik, Tane said that Ari was in prison for 'better part of 8 years', however later it was said that he was in jail for 10 years. From what I understood Ari was released from jail few months before Mikaere was killed, and considering they held memorial in July 2020, he would've been killed in July 2019. If I remember correctly Ari and Mia's marriage certificate stated that they're both 37.  

Ari being in prison for 8 years would make the most sense as it explains their ages and where Kauri fits in with it all. It seems that where the timeline became confusing was when Dean said that Ari messed up his parole.

Maybe Dean thought that was the case but something changed after Dean's release which allowed Ari to be released after 8 years.

• 2 weeks later...

When Rob Kipa-Williams joined the show, he made a post saying Ari moved to Australia 12 years ago. Given he joined in the 2019 finale, it puts their move in late 2007/early 2008. Ari and Mia would have been together at this time, so they would have all moved from New Zealand together. 

Whether Mia and Chloe are from New Zealand or not, it isn't explicitly revealed. My original thinking was:

• Matthew was living in the city when he arrived in the bay, so either Mia is Australian and fled to New Zealand when Matthew's mother ordered her to get a termination or both Mia and Matthew are from New Zealand and ended up both moving to Australia.

However, I've since gone back and watched the episode where Ari and Mia submit their adoption forms and if you look very carefully, it appears that Mia has ticked the no box for 'Are you an Australian Citizen?' and underneath has written Kiwi in the 'if no, what is your nationality' box in her section of the form before Ari's section begins.

20 hours ago, project90 said:

And when exactly did they come to Australia? Are Chloe and Mia kiwi or Australian?

Mia and Chloe are Australian. Chloe was only backpacking in NZ when she met Nikau. When Mia was leaving Tane said that Mia didn't know most of the Parata family members that live in NZ, if she and Ari lived/ met there I assume she would've known the whole family. 

Chloe and Mia definitely lived in New Zealand with Ari because if not Ari and Mia would have only met a year or so before he went to prison, instead of the 8/9 years they were together.

Tane said that Mia didn't know half of them, so I assume its down to the fact that in 10+ years things change and people may move back to their family in New Zealand. Or that Mia didn't go to all of the family gatherings.

Mia and Chloe were living in Australia before coming to the bay. They would have moved over with Ari 1.5/2 years before he went to prison, so I doubt Mia would take Chloe back to New Zealand after only just moving.

Archived