Red Ranger 1

Silver Couple

I have no idea if there's a market for this and spent an awful lot of time thinking about whether or not I should write and post it.But sometimes a story keeps nagging away at you and I figure there must be at least a few 90s fans on here.Hope you enjoy!

Story Title:  Silver Couple
Type of story: Long Fic
Main Characters: Shane, Shannon, Selina, Sally, Curtis, Michael, Pippa, Donald and others
BTTB rating: T/A
Genre: Romance/Family
Does story include spoilers: No
Any warnings: Moderate sexual content
Summary: We all know the story of how Shane died on his and Angel's first wedding anniversary.But what if it was the other way round?Now Shane is a widowed single father struggling to rebuild his life and finding it going in unexpected directions.

CHAPTER ONE

Shane gazed down at his daughter, who was nestling in her bassinet in the front room.One of the few good things in his life.A few months ago, he seemed to have everything.A beautiful wife that he loved more than anything in the world.A stepson that adored him and that he adored.A child on the way.And then, in the space of a few short hours, he had lost it all.It should have been the happiest day of their lives.Their daughter had just been born.Angel had held her in her arms for just a few moments, then complained about a headache and handed the child to him.And then a moment later…

The doctors had explained that she’d had an aneurysm that had suddenly burst, perhaps as a result of the stress of labour.The details didn’t matter.All that mattered was that after a year of marriage he was suddenly a widower and a single father.He had named their suddenly motherless daughter Angel after her mother.If the positions had been reversed, he suspected she would have done the same thing.

His reverie was broken by a sound behind him.Three people came through from the back garden.One was his lodger, Alex.With Alex was his girlfriend, Shannon.And walking between them was Dylan.

Shane hadn’t been certain if he would be allowed to keep Dylan after Angel’s death.The fact that Dylan’s father Paul had stalked Angel and held her prisoner was at least a point in his favour.In the end, he had handled the situation by saying and doing nothing, and the favour had been returned.The idea of Dylan being taken away hadn’t even been suggested.

“Someone was missing his sister,”Alex explained.

Shane managed to paint a smile on his face.It was completely fake of course, but he was willing to fake it in the hope one day it would become real.“Well, here she is.”

Dylan inched forward and stared down into the bassinet.“How long until she’s big enough to play with me?”

Shane wished he could come up with a quick, clever and cute answer.But somehow, over the past few months, that ability had been drained from him.Seeming to sense his discomfort, Shannon sidled forward and crouched by Dylan.“Not for a long while yet,”she told him,“She’s still small so you have to be the big brother and look after her.Can you do that?”

Dylan nodded.Shane was grateful to Shannon but couldn’t muster the energy to smile at her.Instead, he just held her gaze for a moment, hoping that conveyed the message.

“We were just going to the Diner,”Alex explained,“Do you want us to bring you back anything?”

“No, you’re all right,”Shane replied, still trying to appear happier than he was,“I’ll make us something. Guess I have to get used to that.”

“Poor guy,”Shannon noted as she and Alex took a booth in the Diner.

Alex nodded.“Yeah, it’s rough on him.”

“We should do everything we can to help him.”Shannon looked across at Alex expecting him to be nodding in agreement but instead he looked somewhat ambivalent.“What, you don’t agree?”

“I feel for him, of course I do,”Alex confirmed,“But we’ve got our own lives to lead.”

“And helping friends isn’t part of that?”

“Yeah, of course it is.”Alex hesitated before adding,“If we’re here.”

Shannon looked confused.“Is there a reason why we wouldn’t be?”

“I heard back from that art placement in Italy.”

Shannon was even more confused.“I thought you turned that down.”

“I did but they asked me again.And with what’s happened to Angel and everything…I feel like I can’t turn it down a second time.Sometimes you only get so many chances to do what you really want to do. So…would you come with me?”

Shannon gaped.“Me?There’s so much here though:There’s school, and Michael and Pippa, and all my friends…”

“Yeah, I know it’s a big ask.Look, Red, I’d like you to come but if it’s not for you then, that’s fine too. No pressure.”He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.“I’ll see how they’re getting on with our order.”

Shannon’s mind was left awhirl in thoughts, so at first she didn’t notice that her best friend was standing next to her.“You look like you’ve just been asked to find the solution to world peace,”Selina observed.

Shannon glanced across at the counter, making sure Alex wasn’t too close.“Alex just asked me to go to Italy with him.”

Selina gaped.“Wow, there’s a sentence you don’t hear every day.Are you going to go?”

“I don’t know.There’s so much I’d miss if I went.”

“Including me, right?”Selina checked.

Shannon smiled at her.“Yes, including you.”

“Because I’m a bit short of girlfriends at the moment, what with Chloe going to boarding school.She wasn’t there long but the house feels empty without her around.”

Shannon nodded.“Same with Jack going off to the navy.He drove me mad when he was here but he’s left a big hole.Could I do that to Michael and Pippa, have them lose me to?”

“Well, you can’t let them or me decide it,”Selina pointed out,“You need to work out what’s best for you.”

“Yeah,”Shannon agreed, her gaze wandering over to Alex again,“If only I knew what that was.”

• Like 1

Great Chapter 

Liked how it was other way around and Shane was struggling 

Wow Alex asking Shannon to move to Italy.

Update again soon  :)

Edited by Kristen

Nice swap with Shane and Angel 

I don't know how you manage to remember this far back 

Only thing I remember about Shannon is that I fancied her haha but I think she will agree to go to Italy but then something will stop her going 

Alex is Leahs brother right? 

Edited by pembie

On 06/04/2020 at 01:17, pembie said:

Nice swap with Shane and Angel 

Only thing I remember about Shannon is that I fancied her haha but I think she will agree to go to Italy but then something will stop her going 

Alex was Saul's son and Joey's brother, he dated Shannon.  (Leah's brother was also called Alex but different character of the same name.)

I'm really enjoying this so far and looking forward to reading more.  It is difficult for Shane having to adjust.  Have Steven and Selina already got together and split up in this version please?

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 04:22, Kristen said:

Great Chapter 

Liked how it was other way around and Shane was struggling 

Wow Alex asking Shannon to move to Italy.

Thank you, I'm glad you read and liked it!

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 00:17, Summer's Bay said:

I stopped watching Home and Away after Bobby died, so I am definitely interested in reading this.

Good to know! This is a bit after that of course, but you should still know more characters than someone who started watching Home and Away after Sally left!

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 01:17, pembie said:

It does help that they repeated this era in Australia a few years back and many of us watched the episodes then.And I think a lot of us fancied Shannon.I should really have said before someone else did but this is Alex Bennett, who was a character on the show from 1995 to 1996, not Alex Poulos, who would have been in his early teens at the time.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:42, chair said:

Have Steven and Selina already got together and split up in this version please?

I was going to go into this later but the idea is that they had their initial we-want-to-be-together-but-we-know-we-can't thing but nothing else.

Thank you for the comments, all of you, I will get another chapter up probably over the weekend.

• Like 2

CHAPTER TWO

Alex emerged from his room with his bags packed and caught sight of Shane, standing in his usual position watching over Angel’s crib.This was the bit he hadn’t been looking forward to.A part of him just wanted to carry on out of the house but he knew that wouldn’t be fair.He put the bags down and walked over to Shane.“I’m just on my way then.”

Shane barely looked round.“Okay, see you.”

Alex sighed.He didn’t want to leave it like that.He and Shane had been good friends, even before they were housemates.No matter how uncomfortable it made him feel, Alex had had to support him when Angel died.Now…“Mate, are you sure you’re going to be all right?”

Shane seemed to want the conversation as little as Alex did.When he turned to him, the smile didn’t come even close to reaching his eyes.“Alex, I’m not going to stop you going off and doing what you want to with your life.You deserve this chance, take it.”

“Yeah, I will do,”Alex confirmed,“But are you going to be all right on your own?I mean, if you need someone for the room, I can ring around and see if I’ve got a friend who’ll take it…”

“I’ll manage,”Shane said simply.

Alex wasn’t convinced but there wasn’t much more he could do.“See you, mate.”He touched Shane’s arm for a moment, then picked up his bags and headed out.

When Alex exited the house, Shannon and Selina were waiting there with Dylan.“Are you sure you’re going to fit all that on your bike?”Selina asked ironically.

“It’s a balancing act,”Alex noted,“But I’ve had practise.”

Shannon nodded towards the house.“Is he all right?”

Alex gave a small shrug.“No worse, I think.”He bent down to Dylan.“Now you, little buddy.I am going to miss you.You promise me you’ll help Shane with your sister if he needs it?”

“I promise,”said Dylan in a quiet voice.

“Good man.”Alex ruffled the boy’s hair as he straightened up.

“Are you going to miss me too?”Selina asked with the same tone of amusement.

Alex adopted a mock thoughtful face.“Gosh, I don’t know, Selina.Am I going to miss the aggravation and the earache?”

Selina smiled.“I’ll miss you too.”She nudged Shannon.“And I’ll miss you putting a smile on the face of this one as well.You think I’m moody, you should have seen her before you came along.”

“Oh, I saw enough of the moodiness, trust me,”Alex confirmed.

Shannon gaped at both of them in mock outrage.“Remind me why I like you two again?”

“Because you know we tell it how it is.”Selina steered Dylan towards the garden.“Come on, let’s give these two a bit of space.See you, Alex.”

“See you, Sel.”Alex waited until they were far enough away before turning back to Shannon.“Sure you can’t come, Red?I could squeeze you into my bag if you wanted.”

Shannon sighed.“That is really really tempting.But it’s not the right thing for me right now.I’ve got Year 12 to finish, I’ve got family and friends here…I can’t throw all that away.”

Alex nodded.“I think I kind of knew that.It’s just I’d be kicking myself forever if I didn’t at least ask.I suppose we could promise that we’d write and phone, and that one day we’ll meet up and just pick up where we left off.”

Shannon couldn’t help thinking of when she’d first come to Summer Bay, desperate not to be separated from Curtis.She’d thought at the time that they’d be together forever.Nearly two years on, she was well aware that life wasn’t like that.Very few couples had forever.“We wouldn’t though, would we?”

“No.But we can dream.”Alex gave her a soft, final kiss.“See you around, Red.”He pulled on his helmet and mounted his motorbike.Shannon took a step back, watching and waving as Alex reversed out of the drive and powered away.

The sound of the door banging brought Shane out of his reverie and he turned to see Shannon steering Dylan into the house.With a start, and a feeling of intense shame, he realised he hadn’t given much thought to where his stepson was and who was looking after him.With Alex gone, the responsibility now fell entirely on him.

“Did Alex get off okay?”he asked, feeling it was what he should say.

Shannon nodded.“Selina went to meet up with Curtis and Sally.I thought I’d just see this one inside.”She seemed to sense the implied criticism in the comment and paled, but somehow Shane couldn’t bring himself to be offended.“I’ll be off then,”she decided.

“But I need someone to play cricket with me,”Dylan complained.

“Well, Shane can do that,”Shannon suggested.She looked back at Shane.“I mean, if you’re not too busy. If you are, then I can…”

Shane cut her off.“Tell you what, how about we all go out the back and play?”He picked Angel up out of her cot and she clung to him.“We’ll put your sister in her pram and she can watch us.That okay?”

“Okay,”Dylan agreed with a certain amount of reluctance.

Shane looked at Shannon.“Okay with you?”

Shannon seemed to relax, if only slightly.“Yeah, if it’s okay with you.”She took a deep breath.“I was meaning to say, I know with Alex gone, there’s no reason for me to be round here as much, but if you need me here, to help with Dylan or whatever…”

Again, a part of Shane felt he should be insulted.But another part knew Alex and Shannon had been picking up the slack a bit and he could do with her still being around.More than that, he was used to her being around.“Well, we’re still friends and I know Dylan likes seeing you, so come round whenever you want.I might even invite you sometimes.”He looked back at Dylan.“Now come on, what about this cricket match?”

Thanks @Red Ranger 1 I'm glad that Shane reached out to Shannon and enjoyed this episode.  I look forward to reading more.  

Great chapter 

Good Shannon decided to stay 

Glad Shane reached out to Shannon.

Update again soon  :)

Edited by Kristen

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:13, chair said:

I'm glad that Shane reached out to Shannon and enjoyed this episode. 

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 01:31, Kristen said:

Good Shannon decided to stay 

Glad Shane reached out to Shannon.

Thank you, both of you! I think Shane realises that he can't deal with this all on his own.

• Like 1