Red Ranger 1

Guardian Angel

Well, I promised this one a month or so ago and, while I'm still not finding a lot of time to work on it, my deck's a bit more clear so I'll start posting and hopefully manage to get the updates coming regularly! Enjoy.

Story Title: Guardian Angel
Type of story: Medium/long fic
Main Characters: Maddy, Kyle and others
BTTB rating: T/A
Genre: Drama
Does story include spoilers: No
Any warnings: Mild to moderate violence and sexual content
Summary: Years after they were both in Summer Bay, Maddy encounters Kyle again when he is admitted to the hospital where she works as a patient.But there's a reason why Kyle is there and soon the only people they can trust are each other.

CHAPTER ONE

Maddy finished pulling on her uniform before looking at herself in the staff room mirror.The long-sleeved navy blue scrubs mostly covered up her prosthetic arm, although the artificial hand was very obvious on close inspection.She tied back her hair one-handed, something that had been hard to manage at first but which she’d become better practised at over the last three years.She pinned the name tag to the front of her nurse’s uniform and was good to go.

Her friend Fiona entered behind her.She was around the same age as Maddy and had joined the hospital around the same time, so they’d gravitated to each other by default.She gave a smile.“Ready for another day of mayhem?”

Maddy smiled ruefully.“As much as I ever am.”

“What are you doing after work?”

Maddy thought for a moment.Her plans didn’t really evolve beyond takeaway and relaxing in front of the telly.“Not sure yet.”

“Well, if you feel like a drink at the end of the shift, let me know and you can buy me one.”

Before Maddy could respond to the cheek, their superior, Cassandra, stuck her head round the door. “Trauma case en route from the prison.ETA eight minutes.”

“The prison?”Fiona repeated,“Do we know what happened?”

“Just that he’s been beaten up.Get yourselves prepped and meet me at the ambulance bay.”

Maddy had worked a few trauma cases since she’d started work at the hospital.It had been a somewhat erratic path into nursing.Her education at Northern Districts had been interrupted by the accident in which she’d lost her arm, but she’d carried on studying during her recovery and during her travels and had eventually qualified at the start of the year.Given her disability, she hadn’t expected to be allowed to work in the emergency department but staff shortage was always an issue and it had quickly been agreed that she could help out there as long as she had proper supervision.

Fiona had been working the emergency department for a year, long enough to become jaded.To be fair, it was an attitude that Maddy had a hard time shaking herself.“I thought we might at least get a stabbing,” Fiona complained.

Maddy gave her a wry look.“Yeah, because they’re always fun.”

“Well, except for the guy being stabbed, I guess.But at least they’re interesting.”

“Maybe you’ll get lucky and he’ll have been impaled on something.”

Their banter was halted by the sound of a gurney being wheeled up the corridor towards them.Both of them instantly became serious.“Here it comes,”Fiona noted.

A collection of paramedics and doctors appeared pushing the patient between them.Maddy and Fiona fell into step either side and Maddy looked down at the patient’s features.It was then that she got a shock. “Kyle?”

“Kyle Braxton, 29,”the paramedic confirmed,“Multiple bruising and contusions, suspected cracked ribs, suspected dislocated shoulder.GCS of 7, vitals stable.”

Maddy had a million questions running through her head but kept them to herself for now.She followed them through, taking the drip and hooking it up one-handed as the doctor did a preliminary survey.She noticed Fiona giving her a quizzical look but shook her head.They’d talk later.

It was some hours before Maddy had a chance to check on Kyle.He was sleeping peacefully, or at least so it seemed.How much of it was natural sleep and how much was unconsciousness wasn’t entirely clear. Maddy stood there looking at him, at a reminder of her old life.Beyond phone conversations with Roo or Alf once a month or so and occasional exchanges of e-mail, she’d had no contact with anyone in Summer Bay for a long time.

Fiona showed her ID to the guard on the door and entered the room, before giving Maddy a challenging look.“You know him then?”

Maddy nodded.“He used to live in the same town as me.I think everyone knew everyone there.He was my boss for a bit when I was doing some waitressing.”

“Do you know why he’s in jail?”

“Armed robbery.Some people thought he didn’t do it, that he was covering for someone.I never really got the full story.”Something occurred to Maddy.“He’s got two brothers, has anyone called them?”

“I dunno, I guess the prison or admin will be dealing with it.Do you know them?”

“About as well as I knew him.Some of my friends knew them better but I think they all lost touch years ago.”

“Do you want to stay or do you want to get that drink?”

Maddy took a step back from the bed.“No, I’ll come with you.”She tried to dismiss the guilt she felt at leaving him alone.He had a family and friends.Just because they both came from Summer Bay, it didn’t mean she needed to be there keeping vigil over him.She just couldn’t quite shake the feeling that she was probably the closest thing to a friend he had at that moment.

• Like 1

Great chapter 

Maddy working at the same hospital same time Kyle happened to get injured in prison 

Update again soon :)

Edited by Kristen

Oh, I really like the premises of Maddy working in a hospital (rather unique idea). I felt a bit sorry for Kyle being abandoned at the hospital yet again, but it'll be good to see Maddy looking out for him. Can't wait to see more! 

Great chapter 

Like Maddy working at the hospital. And how Kyle happened to go to that exact hospital. 

I hope Kyle will get better soon and I wonder who beat him up! 

Looking forward to reading more! :) 

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:55, Helena said:

I really enjoyed this first chapter great job I can't wait to read more

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 01:58, Kristen said:

Great chapter 

Maddy working at the same hospital same time Kyle happened to get injured in prison 

Update again soon :)

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 08:15, D.B said:

Oh, I really like the premises of Maddy working in a hospital (rather unique idea). I felt a bit sorry for Kyle being abandoned at the hospital yet again, but it'll be good to see Maddy looking out for him. Can't wait to see more! 

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:02, Suzza101 said:

Great chapter 

Like Maddy working at the hospital. And how Kyle happened to go to that exact hospital. 

I hope Kyle will get better soon and I wonder who beat him up! 

Looking forward to reading more! :) 

Thank you, all of you! That was the easy bit. Maddy was meant to be training as a nurse in the show and, as with a lot of these ambitions, she never actually got to the end of it, but I don't think her accident would rule her out, so I like to think she'd get back to it once she'd done her travelling the world thing.It is a huge coincidence for Kyle to end up there but hey, I needed a story!

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 03:47, Summer's Bay said:

I dont know any of the newer characters, but ill definitely be reading this because I liked your last fanfic.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy!

I'm aiming to get the next chapter up some time tomorrow.

• Like 1

CHAPTER TWO

As soon as Maddy got in the next morning, she headed straight for Kyle’s room.She had a quick chat to the night staff, who confirmed he had slept through the night.The guards let her into his private room with only a brief check and then she set about checking his obs.It was while she was in the middle of checking his pulse, timing it against the clock on the wall since she tended to keep her watch on her real arm, that he opened his eyes.

He stared at her for several seconds, as though trying to process the sight of a familiar face that he really hadn’t expected to see.“Maddy?”

Maddy smiled at him.“Hey, Kyle.”

Kyle looked around him, taking in his surroundings.“I’m in hospital.”

“That’s right.Do you remember what happened?”

She saw him thinking again before the truth hit him.“I got set upon in the general area.Am I..?”

“Battered and bruised but there wasn’t any internal bleeding.You just need time to recover.”Maddy noticed Kyle’s gaze drift across to the hand of her artificial arm.“Yeah, there’s a bit less of me than there was the last time we met.”

“Ricky told me about the accident,”Kyle confirmed,“I’m sorry.I was sorry to hear about Oscar as well.”

Maddy nodded.“Me too.He deserved a lot better than he got.Some say you did as well.”

“Well, I guess a lot of us can say that.”

Cassandra suddenly appeared in the doorway.“Maddy?When you’ve finished in there, I need a hand in bay two.”

“Okay, just coming.”Maddy turned back to Kyle.“I’ll be back to see you later.”

Maddy’s interest in their latest patient attracted a lot of questions from Fiona.“I just didn’t think you’d be friends with someone like that,”her friend noted at one point.

“We weren’t friends,”Maddy argued, knowing she was splitting hairs,“We just kind of all accepted him and his family.They weren’t perfect but they helped me and other people out sometimes.Anyway, I wasn’t exactly perfect either.”

Fiona seemed to let it drop after that but she was obviously still curious.So was Maddy for that matter. Kyle being left to lie on his own in a hospital bed didn’t seem right somehow.

It was near the end of the shift when she finally got a chance to talk to him alone.“Aren’t your brothers coming?”she asked.

“I said not to call them.”

“Why?”

“Can you imagine Brax and Heath coming in here?They’d kick up a fuss straightaway and I’d like to avoid that.”

Maddy could understand that but it still didn’t seem right him being here on his own.“Isn’t there anyone else?Matt mentioned some girl called Isla you were involved with…”

Kyle winced.“Let’s just say I haven’t seen her in a while.”

Maddy knew when it was best to drop a subject.This was one of those times.“Well, I guess it’s up to you.”She still had questions though.“Kyle, what happened?Off the record.”

Kyle looked at her long and hard for a moment then he decided to trust her.“Someone was dealing drugs in jail.I turned a blind eye for a while but then some kid overdosed.He was only eighteen.I guess I thought someone should take a stand so I reported him.”

“And he did this to you?”

“Some of his friends did.He’s in solitary but he’s still got a long reach.”

“And if you go back..?”

“They might want to finish the job.”

Maddy found herself more than a little concerned about the prospect but did her best to look on the bright side.“At least you’re safe in here.”She saw the pained look on Kyle’s face.“Aren’t you?”

“The report I made against Milligan was meant to be confidential.I was in a common area when I was attacked but there were no guards there.At the moment…I’m not sure if I can trust anyone.”