Red Ranger 1

Older Guys

I've a feeling I may regret starting to post this, because it's going to be a long one and I haven't written much of it.Plus I'm not entirely sure about it...But see what you think!

Story Title: Older Guys
Type of story: Medium/long fic
Main Characters: Mason, Coco, Raffy, Hunter with Justin, Leah, Brody, Ziggy and others
BTTB rating: T/A

Genre: Romance/Drama
Does story include spoilers: No
Any warnings: Sexual content: Moderate to strong. Other warnings to follow.
Summary: The aftermath of Brody and Ziggy's wedding sees a pair of unlikely couplings.How well will they navigate the weeks that follow?

CHAPTER ONE

Hunter watched the retreating back of the blonde girl walking away from him on the beach.Olivia, the girl who at one point he’d thought he was going to spend the rest of his life with.Not anymore.Their last brief liaison the previous night had convinced both of them of that.Things had changed and they weren’t going to change back.

Most of the rest of Summer Bay were a few hundred yards away in the surf club, celebrating Brody and Ziggy’s wedding.As happy as he was for them, in his present state of mind Hunter really didn’t feel like joining them.

He looked away from Olivia and saw another blonde girl approaching from the opposite direction.Raffy. Normally she dressed quite young, but the dress she’d picked out for her brother’s wedding, while not exactly disguising her age, did make her look prettier than usual.She regarded him with a wry gaze.“Not feeling up to joining in the outpouring of love and long life together?”

Hunter grunted.“Not a good day to be single.”

“Tell me about it.”Raffy sat down next to him.She hadn’t, of course, been invited to do so but somehow Hunter didn’t have the heart to tell her to get lost.

“I thought I’d seen you around with a boy recently?”Hunter asked.He immediately suspected it was the wrong thing to say.

“Ty.Yeah.”Raffy grimaced.“My first boyfriend.Let’s just say it didn’t work out.”

“Any reason?”

“I wasn’t exactly his type.”Raffy’s tone suggested it was best to leave it at that.

Hunter shrugged and patted her on the leg.“Well, it’s his loss.”

“Thank you for saying so.Olivia’s lost a lot too.”

The comments had an air of going through the motions about them.Hunter nodded back towards the reception area.“You going to head back?”

“No, I think I’ve had my fill for today.”

Hunter got up.“Come on.”

Raffy looked at him in confusion.“What?”

“I’ll walk you home.”

Mason sat at a table on his own in the reception.Around him, people were dancing and celebrating happily.Mason took another drink of his beer before glancing at the door where his date, Dempsey, had left.Pretty much the story of his life:Girls seemed to be interested at first and then quickly made an exit.

Coco came and sat down at his table.“You fancy a dance?”

Mason gave her a rather bemused look.“What makes you ask that?”

“Well, it just struck me that we’re kind of in the same boat here.Younger siblings of the bride and groom.Both here on our own.”

“I’m not here on my own,”Mason insisted.Coco gave him a sceptical look.“I wasn’t here on my own,”he amended,“I had a date.But she had to leave early.Work.”

“Are you expecting to see her again?”

Mason sighed.“No,”he admitted,“What about you?I thought you’d be taking Ryder as your plus one.”

“He’s just a friend!”Coco protested,“And there were a few issues with him and Raffy.”

“So, looks like it’s the two of us,”Mason conceded.He looked at Coco again, trying to remember how old she was.Seventeen?She'd’seemed nice enough whenever they’d spoken to each other but he hadn’t really given her much thought.Looking at her now…she wasn’t exactly a classical beauty, but when she smiled her face seemed to light up.

Coco seemed to be aware of his attention and flushed slightly.“I guess so.”

Mason noticed her hand resting on the table.He slowly moved his own hand so it lay on tops of hers.Her eyes widened slightly at the contact but she didn’t pull away.“Do you think they’d miss us if we slipped away?”he asked.

Coco continued to meet his gaze.“I think the focus is definitely off us at the moment.”

“Do you know somewhere we could go?”

“I guess…my place is free, if you have a car?”

“I have a car,”Mason confirmed.He took a firm grip on her hand as he got to his feet.She allowed him to pull her up and he led her out of Salt.

When Hunter had offered to walk Raffy home, he had started making for the Palmer house.Instead, she had gently steered him in the direction of the Morgans’ place.It left him with the distinct feeling that he’d missed something.“How long have you been back here?”he asked.

“A few days,”Raffy admitted,“Just to help out with the wedding.Maybe.”She sighed.“Mainly it’s to get away from living with the ex.”

Hunter winced as he remembered moving out of Irene’s place after his break-up with Olivia.He definitely related.“Yeah, it’s tough,”he agreed thinking he should say something.He glanced around. “Well, anyway, you’re safe now and people will probably be back soon.I should leave you to it.”

“Unless you want to stay until they get back?”Raffy suggested tentatively,“I mean, I could make us some tea, we could play one of Justin’s video games, maybe watch a movie?”

Hunter had the feeling she didn’t want to be alone.Deep down, he didn’t want to be either.“Yeah, sure.”

Mason and Coco headed up the short walk from where he’d left his car to the farm house.Coco led the way inside.Mason caught hold of her hand, pulled her back towards him and kissed her.“I’ve been wanting to do that all the way here,”he admitted.

Coco gave a playful smile.“Well, you only had to ask.”

They kissed again.At first Coco seemed tentative but quickly the kiss deepened, becoming more passionate until they both came up for air.“Which room’s yours?”Mason asked.

Coco raised an eyebrow.“You’re forward.”

“Best man and bridesmaid, it’s kind of traditional.”

Coco nodded towards the end of the corridor.“Over there.”

Their next kiss was the most intense yet.She helped him out of his jacket and, still embracing, they headed into her room.

Great start

I look forward to where you take this.

Hmm Coco and Mason and Hunter and Raffy interesting 

Update again soon :)

Edited by Kristen

Hmm, Mason and Coco and Hunter and Raffy? A very new idea for couples, but very interesting. I really look forward to see where you go with this Red. 😀 A very nice start.

And too think Coco was only after a dance Am I right in thinking

Spoiler

Dempsey will make a return?

And are you feeling aliright your being strangely kind to Hunter

22 hours ago, Kristen said:

Hmm Coco and Mason and Hunter and Raffy interesting 

16 hours ago, D.B said:

Hmm, Mason and Coco and Hunter and Raffy? A very new idea for couples, but very interesting.

12 hours ago, ~JarlieFanEver~ said:

Liked the different ship pairings 

Thanks, everyone! I'm known for my...unconventional pairings.

9 hours ago, pembie said:

And are you feeling aliright your being strangely kind to Hunter

Well, that's my "No character assassinations" policy in place.The series treated Hunter like a sympathetic character so I have to do the same!

12 hours ago, sallyandflynnfan said:

loving this

interesting choice of pairing

look forward to more

Thank you, glad you like!

Thank you for all your comments and hope you enjoy this one!

CHAPTER TWO

Mason and Coco lay alongside each other in her bed, a heavy silence hanging in the air.“That was your first time, right?”Mason asked.

Coco shot a glance across at him.“Is that a problem?”

“No, no, not really.I just wish you’d told me, that’s all.”

“Because then you wouldn’t have done it?”

Mason suspected there was no right answer to the question.He attempted one anyway.“Maybe not?”

Coco sat up, pulling the sheets tightly around herself.“I’m sorry I was such a disappointment.”

Mason hastily sat up as well and took her hands in his.“No, that’s not it, okay?I was worried that I’d be a disappointment.I mean, your first time should be special, right?”

Coco looked somewhat downcast.“Was it really that bad?”

“No, no.”Mason sensed he was digging himself a bigger and bigger hole.“Look, I’m privileged to be your first time, okay?I’m just surprised you didn’t choose someone better than me.That you know better, I mean.”

Coco smiled slightly.“I didn’t exactly plan it or choose it.It just kind of…happened.It was a nice thing to happen though.”

Mason kissed her tenderly and rested his forehead against hers.“Do you think we should probably get dressed before your parents get back?”

“Probably,”Coco agreed.

Hunter and Raffy sat cross-legged on the sofa, eating bowls of crisps.“So are you really still hung up on Olivia?”Raffy asked out of the blue.

Hunter gave her a bemused look.“You like to get personal, don’t you?”

“I’m just asking because, having had my first experience of heartbreak, I’m wondering how long it goes on for.I mean, you’ve been apart for months and yet you’re still sitting on the beach looking sad.Have I got that to look forward to?”

Hunter grimaced.“There was, kind of, an extra encounter.More recently.”

Raffy’s eyes widened.“Oh!”

“Yeah.Kind of brought a few things back up.Made it raw again.”

“Okay, I can see that.”

“And it doesn’t help that no-one’s shown any interest in me since her.”

Raffy looked at him as if examining him.“I could fancy you,”she offered at last.

Hunter managed an amused smile.“Really?”

“Yeah, you’ve got that whole rugged square-jawed good looks thing going on.”She paused expectantly. “Okay, this is where you’re meant to say nice things about me.”

“Oh come on, you’re Mason’s little sister!”Hunter protested,“I can’t say I’d fancy you.”

“You could try,”Raffy suggested with mock indignity.

Hunter put a hand under her chin and tilted her face to examine it closely.“Well, okay, you’re not bad.”

“Gee, thanks.”

Hunter’s voice took on a serious tone.“I mean it.You’re not bad.”

She sensed the sincerity and, leaning forward, kissed him on the lips.She pulled back for a moment, inviting him to respond, and then they kissed again, more intensely than they could have ever anticipated.

Coco had selected a comfortable outfit from her wardrobe when getting dressed, rather than putting the discarded bridesmaid’s dress back on.Mason only had his wedding clothes available of course.Coco shot an awkward look back at him as they exited her bedroom.He smiled self-consciously at her and she found herself smiling back.She wasn’t entirely sure how things had happened the way they had.She’d never really thought about fancying Mason, although looking at him she could see he was a bit easy on the eye.She’d thought a lot recently about seizing the moment, living life while she could, after what had happened with her mother.She’d definitely seized it now. 

Coco picked up her discarded phone and checked her messages.She was surprised to see several calls from Ben.Tapping the screen, she listened to one of them, then turned to Mason, shock on her face. “Mum’s been taken to hospital.”

Mason’s concern was obvious and genuine.“Is she all right?”

“I don’t know, she’s in hospital!I need to get down there.”

“I’ll drive you.”

Coco wasn’t sure about the propriety of accepting Mason’s offer but she was in no mood to refuse.She nodded gratefully.

Hunter sat on Raffy’s bed, putting his shoes back on.She was lying in the bed behind him.He was aware she was looking at him but he was doing his best not to look at her.He couldn’t quite believe what he’d done.She was just a kid, for goodness sake.His best friend’s younger sister.And he’d gone to bed with her?He thought he couldn’t show worse judgement than sleeping with Olivia, yet he’d managed it.

“Are you all right?”Raffy asked.

Hunter took a deep breath and turned to look at her, staring at him with those young eyes.“I should kind of be asking you that.”

Raffy managed a half smile.“I’ll live.”Her expression became serious again.“I’m not sorry that happened.Are you?”

Hunter struggled to think of a response that didn’t seem insulting.“I guess so.I mean, you’re so young.”

“Just a kid, right?”Raffy asked bitterly.

“Hey.”Hunter spoke in kindly tones.“That’s not a bad thing, okay?There’s nothing wrong with still being young and there’s nothing wrong with you.I just feel like I shouldn’t have done that.”

Raffy laughed.“I guess I’m just irresistible, hey?”

Hunter smiled.“I guess you are.”He kissed her on the top of the head.“I think I’d better go.”

Raffy nodded.“See you around, huh?”

Mason was sitting in a hospital corridor.He wasn’t entirely sure why he was there.He’d driven Coco in, and she was now in the treatment room with Ben and Maggie.There was no reason for him to hang around and no-one would have thought it at all strange if he left.Well, almost no-one.But somehow, sleeping with Coco and then bailing as soon as the real world intruded didn’t sit right with him.

His attention was drawn to Brody and Ziggy barrelling towards him down the corridor.“Where are they?” Ziggy demanded.

Mason nodded towards the double doors leading to the treatment room.“In there.”Without breaking stride, Ziggy was straight through the doors to be with her family.Mason shot his brother a sympathetic look.“Some honeymoon, huh?”

“Well, I guess we knew it was on the cards,”Brody commented,“What happened?”

Mason shrugged.“All I know is she collapsed.I don’t think the doctors are sure what’s going on yet.”

Brody looked at him curiously.“Weren’t you there?”

Mason understood Brody’s misconception.“No, I’d given Coco a lift home.I was still with her when she got the message so I drove her in.”

Brody smiled.“Thanks, mate.”

Mason tried not to let his discomfort show on his face.“That’s okay.”

Brody gestured to the door Ziggy had gone through.“I’d better see what’s going on.”

And then Mason was alone again.He could leave now, he’d passed responsibility on.But slipping quietly away without saying anything to Coco still felt wrong.He sat down again.

Mason and Hunter are both going for the younger girl here But out of the two I'm struggling getting my head around Hunter and Raffy more. I think its you giving him some luck mainly haha. You are the writer so you could have been really cruel too him

Maggie I think she might be abit more ill in this than the show?