True Love

Thanks Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments.

thirty-one

Bianca had joined Charlie and the kids as they’d taken Cody out for a walk. They’d stopped by the lake, the kids and the dog running around as Bianca and Charlie were sitting on the picnic bench. “Heath and I are having coffee later.” Bianca told her, Charlie widening her eyes at her friend.

“Oh yeah,” Charlie said. “Coffee in what way?” Charlie wondered.

“As in coffee,” Bianca shrugged. “You know we....” Bianca cleared her throat. “We’ll see how it goes.”

Charlie gave a little smile. “I guess that’s all he can ask of you,” Charlie said. “I hope...” Charlie trailed off. “I think it’s what you want so I hope you two are able to work through this.”

“It is,” Bianca spoke quietly. “I want him back. I want us. You know I want....” Bianca pursed her lips as she watched Ben throwing the ball, Cody chasing after it before he and Maya ran after Cody.

Charlie watched her friend as she watched her kids. “You know you’ll be great with Dylan.” Charlie assured her.

“I want to try,” Bianca said. “I love Heath too much to not try, for him at least,” Bianca exhaled. “And he’s a very sweet little boy,” Bianca smiled lightly as she thought about the boy who was technically her stepson. “I thought being around him would remind me of Heath’s betrayal but yesterday we had cake together and he’s just so sweet I can’t be mad.”

Charlie gave a smile. “Well that’s good. It’s not Dylan’s fault.”

“I know,” Bianca exhaled. “Anyways I’m not saying for sure we will get back together. We just need to take it slow and see what happens.” Bianca played with her wedding rings, of course never able to take them off.

“Yeah sure.” Charlie felt the need to agree with Bianca, even though she knew they’d end up back together, Bianca of course would be cautious.

Ruby was tucked up in her bed. She’d felt awful all day and hadn’t been able to get out of bed, let alone leave the apartment for uni. “Hey hun,” Romeo walked into Ruby’s room, bringing with him a mug of tea. “How you feeling now?” Romeo wanted to stay with Ruby all day but she told him there wasn’t going to be much he could do so there was no point in the both of them missing uni so she made him go.

“Worse,” Ruby muttered as she sat up in the bed and took the tea in her hands, welcoming the warmth it was bringing her. “I haven’t been sick at all but I....” Ruby trailed off as she gagged. Romeo rubbed her back soothingly.

“You need the basin?” Romeo questioned as he looked to the basin that was on the floor.

“No,” Ruby took a drink of the tea, today’s flavour being ginger. “God this tea is gross.” Ruby scrunched her face up as she

“Sorry,” Romeo sat next to her on her single bed, wrapping his arm around her. “But it might help ease the sickness.”

“I hope so,” Ruby retorted. “I can’t put up with this for long.” Ruby said. It had only been the first day that she felt really bad but she already knew she couldn’t deal with that for the next few months or more.

“You’re just cooking our love-bug,” Romeo told her. “So feeling crappy for a little bit is for a good reason.” Romeo’s hand moved down her arm and went onto her stomach. Ruby glared at him, clearly not impressed with his comment.

“Well I can still be pregnant and not be sick,” Ruby muttered. “Although I remember with Ben especially mum was really sick,” Ruby sighed.

“Probably means if mum gets sick, I’ll be sick too, right?” Ruby questioned.

“No idea,” Romeo shrugged. “But doesn’t being really sick mean it’s a healthy pregnancy or is that a myth? Or just something I completely made up?” Romeo questioned.

“I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. “But today I was thinking,” Ruby pursed her lips. “I think I’m going to quit uni.”

“What?” Romeo widened his eyes, a little gobsmacked.

“I can’t keep missing days because I’m sick and I can’t be at uni when we’ve got a new baby to look after,” Ruby said. “I....I think it’s for the best. We also need money, Romeo and how are we going to have any if we are both in uni full time?” Ruby wondered. “I....I need to get myself a job and work to have money for when the baby arrives.”

“But if you are worried about missing uni because of being sick won’t you miss work days too?” Romeo wondered.

“Maybe,” Ruby shrugged. “I.....I don’t know. I just know that I won’t be able to do uni and be a mum to a newborn.” Ruby said, of course not wanting to leave uni and give up on her dream job but feeling that right now, maybe she just didn’t have a choice.

Charlie walked passed Maya’s room, seeing the light was on. “I thought I’d put you to bed,” Charlie said as she walked into the room, seeing Maya was ripping up a piece of paper, pieces of the torn up paper being thrown all over the floor. “What you doing making a mess?” Charlie walked over to her daughter and took the last of the paper from her hands. She looked down, seeing drawings ripped up all over her daughter’s bedroom floor. “What’s this?”

“Nothing.” Maya murmured.

“I think it was something sweetie.” Charlie said, tucking Maya’s hair behind her ear.

“I was doing a book for daddy,” Maya spoke shyly as she bowed her head. “Of all we did together the days I sawed him.” Maya said, her voice quiet.

“Aww sweetness that would have been lovely,” Charlie said. “Mummy would have loved to have seen that.” Charlie told her, sad she’d ripped it up.

“No it was for daddy,” Maya pouted sadly. “But he won’t ever see me so can’t get it,” Maya looked like she was going to cry again. “I wanted a daddy.” Maya said, Charlie seeing her eyes welling up with tears.

“Oh baby.” Charlie pulled Maya into a comforting hug.

“And Darryl has been gone for ages,” Maya sniffed. “Why won’t he come back to play?”

“He will,” Charlie assured her daughter. “He has to sell his restaurant and his apartment so he can come and live and work here,” Charlie was sure she’d already explained this to Maya. “That can take a while.”

Maya scrunched her face up a little. “Where will he work here?”

“He’ll take over Angelo’s restaurant,” Charlie said. “Angelo is going to Melbourne to be nearer all his family.” Charlie explained.

“Angelo is leaving me too?” Maya shrieked. She got on well with Angelo, the man being her Godfather and if he wasn’t gay, Charlie was sure she would have ended up with him after her marriage to Mark broke down.

“Yeah,” Charlie lovingly stroked her daughter’s hair. “But sweetness, Brax hasn’t left you. He’s very much still mummy’s boyfriend and you are his favourite little girl,” Charlie said, nudging her arm. “And I promise you that we are going to go to the Gold Coast in the holidays,” Charlie felt bad Maya was still so hurt by Mark leaving. She felt responsible. Even though Mark was the one who seemed to change his mind about seeing the kids in the blink of an eye and announce he was moving to England, she was the one who allowed the meeting again to happen in the first place. “And hey, Ruby text mummy before and said she was thinking about coming down for the weekend so that will be fun huh?” Charlie questioned, Ruby always spoiling her little siblings.

“But it’s only Monday.” Maya pouted sadly, the weekend seeming to far away right now.

“Well you keep busy at school for the week and it’ll be the weekend before you know it,” Charlie said. “And how about you ask Autumn to come play after school one day and she can stay for dinner?” Charlie suggested.

Maya’s little face lit up. “Yeah,” Maya answered. Even though she wasn’t in Autumn’s class anymore thanks to Jared, the pair were still inseparable outside of the classroom.

“Okay, I’ll call her mummy and we can arrange a play date, okay?” Charlie said and Maya nodded as a grin appeared on her face. “And let’s try no more being sad about daddy,” Charlie told her. “Because if he doesn’t want to know the sweetest loveliest little girl in all of Australia then that’s his loss huh?” Charlie said, as she wiped her thumb under Maya’s eyes.

“Am I really the sweetest loveliest girl in all of Australia?” Maya gasped, not quiet able to believe it.

“You bet you are baby.” Charlie said, before she pulled her daughter into a hug, placing a soft kiss on her temple as she hugged her tightly.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks CharlieAndBraxLover and Kristen. :)

thirty-two

Ruby was in her bedroom, packing a bag with some clothes. “Leaving me?” Romeo gave a little laugh as he walked into her room. They usually stayed in Ruby’s room most nights.

“I’m going home.” Ruby told him, putting in a hoodie before she zipped the bag shut.

“What?” Romeo widened his eyes. “For good?”

“I don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. “I just....I need to go home. Maya’s upset because of Mark leaving and Angelo is leaving soon and Brax is in Queensland and she’s missing him, I’m up here. I just need to go be big sister.” Ruby said, hoping her visit home would help cheer her sister up.

“She has your mum and Ben and other people I’d imagine.” Romeo murmured.

“I know but it’ll be nice for her if I go,” Ruby replied. “I know you are not close with your family but I am close with mines and my kid sister is upset so I am going to go pay her a visit.” Ruby exhaled as she glanced to the time. She’d just booked herself on the next train out of Sydney and had about 15 minutes before she’d need to leave for the train station, which thankfully was only a short walk from her accommodation.

“Well if you’d given me more notice I’d have come with you.” Romeo murmured.

“It’s fine,” Ruby told him. “I’ll be with my mum and siblings anyways. I’d rather be there on my own.” Ruby said, Romeo bowing his head, feeling a little hurt at her comment.

“I see,” Romeo murmured. “Are you going to tell your mum about the baby?” Romeo wondered.

“I dunno,” Ruby shrugged. “Maybe.”

“Then don’t you think I should be there?” Romeo questioned. “Won’t it look better if I am there too? Show I’ll be right by your side through this?” Romeo wondered.

Once again, Ruby shrugged. “Maybe it would be a good thing if you weren’t there,” Ruby murmured. “I told you my mum is a cop, right?”

“Yeah but it’s not like we did anything illegal,” Romeo said, rubbing the back of his head. “I thought you wanted me to meet your family.” Romeo felt a little confused.

“I do. Of course I do,” Ruby told him, her hand brushing over her stomach. She knew now more than ever that it was important for Romeo to meet her mother but she was scared. She was just turned 18, she’d been with the guy for no more than 5 weeks and she was already pregnant, Ruby working out the first time they had sex being when she’d gotten pregnant. “Just not right now.” Ruby mumbled.

“Okay,” Romeo sounded upset. “So were you just going to go without telling me?” Romeo wondered.

“Of course I was going to tell you I was going.” Ruby told him.

“Whatever,” Romeo mumbled. “What time is your train?” Romeo questioned, glancing to the clock on the wall.

“In 30 minutes.” Ruby answered.

“Well I’ll let you be on your way.” Romeo said before he turned and walked out of the room.

“Romeo,” Ruby picked up her bag and ran out after him. “If it means that much to you then pack some stuff and come.” Ruby said, reaching out to touch his arm.

“No no,” Romeo opened his bedroom door. “Have a nice weekend.” Romeo mumbled as he closed his door behind him, Ruby exhaling lightly before she left the apartment.

Bianca smiled as she saw Heath and Dylan walking towards her. They’d text quiet a lot since having coffee together on Monday. It was now Friday and although they’d not arranged another date, she was hoping that they would do something together again soon. “Hi,” Dylan grinned up at her, the little boy clearly not shy.

“Hello,” Bianca smiled at him before sharing a smile with Heath. “How it going?”

“Not bad,” Heath flashed her a smile. “We were actually just taking about you, weren’t we Dils?” Heath looked down to his son, the little boy grinning as he nodded his head in reply.

“Oh yeah?” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “All good I hope.”

“Of course,” Heath laughed. “I said we could go to the diner for a milkshake and he asked if Bee could come,” Heath told her, glad Dylan liked her. It was of course important that he did if they were going to make a go of things again. “And now we’ve just bumped into you. Seem’s like it’s meant to be.”

Bianca looked down to Dylan who was pulling flowers from the side of the fence. “Uhm, yeah I can come for a milkshake.” Bianca looked back to Heath, seeing a grin forming on his face, clearly happy that she said she would come.

“You hear that?” Heath looked down to his son who was holding 4 blue flowers in his hand. “Bee said she’ll come.”

Dylan smiled at her as he held the flowers up for her to take. “Aww thank you Dylan.” Bianca smiled at the boy as he wiped his soiled hands against his t-shirt. He looked down shyly as before hiding his face against Heath’s leg.

“Little charmer.” Heath laughed.

“Well he is your son.” Bianca retorted.

“He is indeed.” Heath ran his hand over Dylan’s hair before the three of them walked off together towards the diner, Dylan holding Heath’s hand as they started walking, his other little hand taking hold of Bianca’s, the three of them walking to the diner together.

After picking Ruby up from the train station they’d decided to go to a nearby cafe for cake and coffee. “So Romeo not join you on this visit?” Charlie was keen to meet him. Ruby had spoke about him a lot and wanted to put a face to the name.

“Not this time,” Ruby murmured. “Maybe in the holidays.”

“Well just know he is more than welcome to come down.” Charlie said as she pierced the straw into the juice box for Ben.

“Mummy,” Ben squeaked. “My cake.” Ben pouted, not wanting the offering of his juice, the boy clearly preferring to have some cake.

“It’s coming,” Charlie told him. “The lady is heating the cake up so it’ll be nice and gooey.” Charlie said, Ben’s pout turning into a grin, the boy clearly liking the thought of gooey cake.

“So,” Ruby took a sip of her mocha before looking to Maya, who had whipped cream from her hot chocolate on her mouth. “How has school been this week?” Ruby questioned.

“Rubbish,” Maya frowned. “Jaden is still mean even though we changed classes.” Maya sighed, still the receiving end of Jared’s torment.

“Can’t you do something about it?” Ruby said as she looked to her mother.

“Not for lack of trying.” Charlie murmured. She was angry at how her daughter’s school was treating the situation, Jared always seeming to get away with bullying Maya because of Ben.

“Well maybe I will pay Jared a visit.” Ruby sounded angry as she spoke. No one got to say mean things about Ben and get away with it.

“Ruby,” Charlie shook her head. “Maya knows to ignore that kind of behaviour, don’t you?”

“Yes,” Maya answered. “But sometimes I punch or push him to make him shut up.” Maya got a cheeky grin on her face.

“Maya Elsie Buckton,” Charlie glared at her daughter. “Don’t say shut up and you’ve been told before you don’t use violence.” Charlie though she’d gotten through to Maya about this.

“No,” Maya sighed. “But he is so mean Ruby. He is so mean.” Maya said.

“Yeah seems so,” Ruby said. “Well maybe he is just jealous because Ben is such an awesome little dude, huh?” Ruby smiled at her brother who stuck his tongue out at her. “Or a cheeky little dude.” Ruby gasped as she leaned to her side as tickled Ben’s side, Ben – who was very tickly – burst into laughter as he tried to swerve away from her tickling.

“Ruby do you think Darryl will come back?” Maya frowned, clearly still worried that Darryl had left never to return.

“Sure he will,” Ruby assured her. “He’s not going to leave you and little cuddle bear here,” Ruby poked her brother’s side again, Ben once again laughing. “And of course, I think he likes mummy a little bit too.”

“Yes,” Maya answered. “He sleeps in her bed a lot.”

“Maya.” Charlie glared at her. Even though it was only Ruby, Charlie looked embarrassed, but of course no mother would want their teenage daughter hearing about her sex life.

Maya giggled cheekily. “He does good pancakes for breakfast too.”

“He does?” Ruby questioned, Maya giving a little nod. “Are they better than my pancakes?” Ruby questioned, her breakfast speciality also being pancakes.

“Uhm,” Maya scratched the side of her head. “Yes.”

“Oh well then,” Ruby gasped. “No more Ruby pancakes for you,” Ruby said, Maya frowning as she furrowed her eyebrows. “What do you think Ben?” Ruby looked to her little brother, who was still waiting a little impatiently for his chocolate cake. “Do you like mines or Brax’s pancakes better?”

“RuRu,” Ben said as his hands clapped together. “RuRu’s the best.” Ben gave a big grin and Ruby smiled at her family, glad to have a little distraction right now.

Thank you :)

thirty-three

Charlie walked back into the living room from putting the kids to bed. She sat down on the couch close to Ruby, Ruby immediately moving closer to her mother and resting her head against her chest as she pulled her legs up, resting her feet on the couch as she cuddled into her mother. “Are you okay?” Charlie placed a kiss on her daughter’s temple as she ran her hand through her hair. She knew Ruby wasn’t okay but of course needed to wait till Ruby would talk to her.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “I just miss you guys.” Ruby exhaled. She wasn’t exactly lying, she did miss her family. This was the first time she’d been away from them for long periods of time and she knew she didn’t like it.

“We miss you too,” Charlie was sure there was more to it that her just missing home but she wasn’t going to push it out of her. “But you are enjoying uni, right? And you’ve got Romeo now and April is up there with you.”

“Yeah,” Ruby murmured, not sounding that convincing. “So anyways, how are things with you and Brax going?” Ruby questioned.

“Great,” Charlie got a smile on her face, just at the mention of his name. “They are really great and I do miss him right now.”

“As much as Maya seems too?” Ruby gave a little laugh.

Charlie rolled her eyes. “She’s going to hog him from me when he does get home.” Charlie laughed as she continued to run her hand through Ruby’s hair. She loved that Ruby still cuddled up to her. She was always going to be her baby no matter how old she got and Charlie loved that even though she was 18 she was scared to admit she still needed cuddles with her mum.

“Well if I am still here I’ll make sure she doesn’t,” Ruby said. She was happy for her mum and pleased she’d found some decent after Carl and Mark. “You think he’ll get home this weekend?” Ruby questioned. She was of course going to be there till Sunday, at least, Ruby considering right now not actually going back to Sydney at all.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “But you being here has put a smile on Maya’s face,” Charlie said. “She actually wants to see the new Cinderella movie that’s out. Ben’s not keen though so was thinking you could take her?” Charlie suggested.

“Hell yeah I wanna see Cinderella.” Ruby shrieked.

“I thought you might,” Charlie laughed. “Well you and Maya can go have a sister’s day and I’ll take Benj out to do something.” Charlie said, Ruby giving a little nod.

“Sweet,” Ruby smiled as she sat up on the couch. “So how about right now we watch a movie?” Ruby questioned.

“Sure,” Charlie answered. “How about you pick the movie out and I’ll go get some snacks?” Charlie said as she stood up from the couch, Ruby getting off too and walking over to the cabinet to pick a DVD as Charlie went to the kitchen to get some snacks.

Charlie had taken Ben to the arts centre in Reefton Lakes. To his delight there was a Buzz Lightyear action figure he could paint. He ensured Charlie that she had to paint too so she’d picked out a Princess one, going to make it like Ana from Frozen, Ana currently Maya’s favourite Princess. Charlie put on of the shirts the centre provided onto her son in a hope to avoid him getting any paint on his own clothes. Ben skipped excitedly over to the table and put his clay Buzz down onto it before climbing up, grinning as he reached for a paint brush. “Mummy,” A little boy who was also at the table was staring at Ben. Charlie glanced at the boy, knowing he was about to say something about Ben’s appearance. “Look at his face.” The boy shouted really loudly, causing others to look over in their direction. Thankfully Ben seemed blissfully unaware of the attention and put his paint brush into the red paint, red being his favourite colour so of course he’d put red on his clay Buzz.

“Shhhh,” The lady looked embarrassed as she shushed her son. “Keep painting.” Charlie could see that she couldn’t take her eyes off Ben, staring at the boy as he painted.

“But look at him,” The boy pointed to Ben, Charlie glaring over at him as she reached for her paint brush. “He’s looks funny. What’s wrong with him?”

“Shh now.” The lady said, the boy frowning at not getting answers.

Ben looked up in this moment and flashed a smile to the boy at the table, looking like he’d just notice he was there. “Hi.” Ben said the boy’s widening his eyes.

“Mummy can we sit somewhere else?” The boy questioned. “His looks are scaring me.”

Charlie felt her heart break a little. Ben didn’t have much interaction with other kids, apart from Maya of course and VJ was always great at playing with Ben. She’d been thinking it was about time he went to day care but situations like this always proved it might be difficult for Ben to be accepted in a mainstream school. “He’s just a normal boy.” Charlie felt it was time to speak up.

“Well is he?” The lady questioned as she and her son stood up, the lady obviously giving in to her son’s wish to move. “He is a bit different.” The lady said before they walked over to another table. Ben followed the boy with his eyes before looking to Charlie, the sweet little face looking confused. He’d just attempted to make a friend. He’d spoken to a stranger and Charlie was so proud of Ben but she was hurt that her son was always going to be open to whispers, stares and that he’d be treated as different, with people not evening giving him a chance. She bit tongue, knowing to not respond to people who reacted like this.

“Aww sweetie,” Charlie ran her hand over Ben’s soft curly locks. “You are painting that so well.” Charlie said, Ben still using red to colour his Buzz. Ben grinned at his mother, his tongue falling out of his mouth as he put the paint brush down, Ben thinking this was just slowing him down. He put his fingers into the green paint and brushed them over the Buzz, this getting him a stare from a worker who was taking some clay model’s over to the oven area, but Charlie just smiled at Ben, letting him paint his clay model how he wanted. Ben was having a good time and that was the upmost important thing.

Maya was skipping by Ruby’s side, her little hand locked into hers. She was extremely excited for her day at the movies with Ruby and had even been promised a Nando’s for a late lunch after the movie. “Can I get a popcorn and a juice?” Maya questioned as they walked into the mall and went up the first escalator, the movie theatre being on the fourth floor of the shopping and dining complex that was in Yabbie Creek.

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “Mummy made sure she gave me plenty money so we had a fun day out.” Ruby said, her hand rubbing her chest as she got a sickening feeling in her stomach.

“Did she give you enough so we could visit the Disney store?” Maya wondered, a glint lighting up her eye.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “But you are already getting to go to the movies and have a Nando’s,” Ruby swallowed, trying to get rid of the feeling that she wanted to vomit. “Don’t you think that’s a nice enough treat?”

“I guess,” Maya frowned a little as they went onto the next escalator. “But if you do have money left over then we could just even go for a look.” Maya said, a hopefully tone to her voice.

“Okay.” Ruby laughed.

“Eeee,” Maya jumped of the escalator as she let go of Ruby’s hand and ran excitedly onto the final one. “I’m so happy you are home,” Maya grinned as Ruby stepped onto the escalator behind her. “Will you leave again though?” Maya sounded concerned all of a sudden. “Everyone is leaving.” Maya gave a sad pout as they walked into the movies.

“I’m not leaving you forever,” Ruby assured her. “I have uni.”

Maya frowned. “You should come home forever and Darryl should come home and we can all be happy together watching Frozen and playing and eating cupcakes.”Maya said, Ruby giving a little laugh as she ran her hand over one of Maya’s pigtail plaits. She did want to come home. All she’d thought of since she found out that she was pregnant was that she wanted to come home and how much she just wanted to be with her mum.

“C’mon you,” Ruby led Maya over to the counter to buy their tickets. “Let’s go see this movie.” Ruby said, Maya giving an excited little squeal, very much looking forward to her movie date with her sister.

Thanks CharlieAndBraxLover and Kristen.

thirty-four

“RuRu,” Ben ran over to her as they arrived back at the house. “See Buzz.” Ben was still holding onto his clay model. He’d not let it go since they’d arrived home.

“Ah wow Benj did you paint that?” Ruby questioned, Ben holding onto it tightly, Ruby only getting to look and not touch.

Uh-huh.” Ben answered before he ran off and sat down next to Cody who was cuddled up on his dog bed. Ben lay down, his head resting on Cody’s body as his little hand rested on Ben’s stomach. Ruby smiled at her little brother, Cody and Ben being the best of friends.

“Wow,” Maya screeched as she climbed up onto the couch next to her mother. “It’s like Ana,” Maya looked down to the clay model Charlie had painted for her. “Thank you mummy.” Maya leaned up and kissed her cheek.

“You are welcome sweetness,” Charlie wrapped her arm around her daughter, Maya leaning into her for a hug. “How was the film?”

“Really really very very good,” Maya answered. “The mouses were so funny.”

“Mice.” Charlie corrected.

“Yes,” Maya exhaled. “And the pumpkin turned into a carriage and the goose drove it and then the lizards turned into doormen and the mouses eh,” Maya’s shook her head. “The mice turned into horses and Cinderella was so pretty.” Maya gushed.

“And the Prince was hot.” Ruby added as she fanned herself.

“Well sounds like you girls had a good time then huh?” Charlie said, smiling at Ruby.

“Oh yes,” Maya nodded her head. “Then we got a Nando’s. It was yummy,” Maya patted her stomach. “But Ruby was sick.” Maya made a noise like she was being sick.

“Oh she was?” Charlie glanced at Ruby who did look a little paler than normal. “You coming down with something?”

“I’m fine now,” Ruby swallowed. “It seemed to pass quickly.”

“Right,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Well if you want some time to go lie down or whatever you can go to your room. You don’t need to babysit anymore.”

“I didn’t come visit to sit in my room by myself,” Ruby told her mother. “Honestly, I’m okay. I thought we could maybe play a game or watch a movie or something.”

“Hungry hippos.” Maya shrieked as she jumped down from the couch and ran over to the toy box to get the game.

“Hungry hippos,” Charlie and Ruby moved down to the floor so they could play the game. “You coming Benj?” Charlie looked around to her son who was still having cuddles with Cody.

Ben stood up and ran over, Cody following after him. Ben picked up his red ball from the floor and sat down close to his mother, his red ball and his Buzz clay model being held in his hands. Charlie glanced at Ben, her heart swelling with the love she had for her little boy. “You okay?” Ruby questioned, seeing the look in her mother’s eyes.

“Yeah,” Charlie ran her thumb over Ben’s cheek. He was her little prince and she wouldn’t change how he was for anything. “Let’s play this game hmm.” Charlie looked to Maya with a smile, who was nodding excitedly as she set up the game.

Bianca finished applying her mascara before putting the tube down into her make-up bag. She looked to her phone as it rang, smiling as she saw Heath’s name on the screen, the couple having finally arranged another date. “Hey you.” Bianca smiled.

“Hey babe,” Bianca knew by Heath’s tone he was about to cancel on their date. “Sorry but I’m going to need to take a rain check in today,” Heath said. Bianca and Heath were supposed to be going to lunch at a seafood restaurant in Reefton Lakes. “Dylan’s just threw up everywhere and he doesn’t want me to leave.”

“Oh no worries the little guy needs you.” Bianca would be lying if she said she wasn’t disappointed.

“Sorry,” Heath apologised. “We can hopefully do it tomorrow?”

“Yeah sounds good,” Bianca exhaled. “Ehm, well I’ll let you get to Dylan.” Bianca murmured.

“Actually, no. Wait, wait,” Heath said, just as Bianca was about to hang up. “We shouldn’t have to cancel just because Dils is sick,” Heath exhaled. “You could come to my place,” Heath said. “I’ll cook for you.”

Bianca burst into laughter. “You can’t even boil water.”

“Well I’ve been trying,” Heath said. “You know it’s not just me I’ve got to cook for now.”

“No, no that’s true,” Bianca replied. “Well I can come round to your apartment,” Bianca said. “Do you want me to bring anything?” Bianca asked, not really sure she was up for trying Heath’s cooking again, if last time was anything to go by.

“Just your beautiful self,” Heath told her. “So, I’ll see you soon yeah?”

“Yeah, I’m leaving right now.” Bianca told him, picking up her bag and flinging it over her shoulder as she left her bedroom then the house.

Ruby was hugging the toilet bowl. She felt herself gag before she vomited again. She spat into the toilet before reaching for some toilet paper, wiping it over her mouth. “You want this?” Ruby looked around as Charlie walked into the bathroom, handing a bottle of water down to her. Ruby gave a weak smile as she took the bottle into her hands and opened it, taking a long drink. Charlie stared at her daughter, just waiting for her to speak.

“We didn’t plan this,” Ruby said. “It kind of just happened.”

“A baby doesn’t just happen, Ruby,” Charlie told her as she sat down next to her on the bathroom floor. “You need to do stuff to make it happen,” Charlie tried her best not to get angry. Ruby was suffering morning sickness and she knew by her mood there was something bothering her even since she arrived. She didn’t need a yelling from her on top and that, and anyways it had already happened and no amount of yelling could change that. “How many times have I lectured you on safe sex?” Charlie questioned.

Ruby gave a little shrug. “More than enough.” Ruby mumbled.

“Clearly not.” Charlie retorted.

“Well it just....you know we are in the moment and we don’t want to have to stop to suit up.” Ruby spoke quietly, not making eye contact with her mother.

“It’s takes seconds Rubes,” Charlie argued. “And it would have saved you from getting pregnant at 18,” Charlie was a little disappointed in her daughter. “Does Romeo know?” Ruby nodded in response. “And is he standing by you?” Again Ruby nodded. “You guys have any money for a baby?” Ruby shook her head this time. “You know what you are going to do?”

“I uhm,” Ruby looked up to her mother. “I want to come home,” Ruby said as tears rolled out of her eyes. “I just want to come home to you, mum.” Ruby said as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Aww sweetheart,” Charlie spoke softly as she opened her arms out, Ruby moving into her for a hug. Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter as she placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. “What about uni? And Romeo?” Charlie knew she had to ask. She hoped they’d stay together and raise this child.

“There’s a uni here,” Ruby mumbled. “I should have probably just went to Northern Districts anyways,” Ruby sniffed back. “But I don’t think I’ll stay at uni at all,” Ruby was honest with her mother. “I’m sure Leah will give me my job back at the diner,” Ruby said, Ruby having worked part-time at the diner when she was in high school. “I can make so money for this baby.”

“And what? Romeo stays in Sydney?” Charlie wondered.

Ruby gave a little shrug. “I don’t know. All I know right now is how much I want to come home. I need you mum, I just need you.” Ruby started crying again as Charlie hugged her tighter. She of course would support her daughter with this pregnancy.

“Well if you want to come home then you can.” Charlie told her. Of course she’d rather Ruby stayed in university but now she was pregnant, maybe things did need to be a little different.

“Thank you,” Ruby mumbled. “Are you going to punish me for being so irresponsible?” Ruby wondered, thinking her mother had been awfully calm with her so far.

“You’ve got morning sickness darling and that’s bad enough to deal with.” Charlie murmured as she kept Ruby in the hug.

Thanks Kristen and CharlieAndBraxLover

thirty-five

Heath’s place was small. As you walked in the door there was a tiny bit of hall space before you met the kitchen and going off to the left was the living room, the room being open plan so the kitchen and living room was like one big room. Down to the right was the bathroom and the door to what Bianca assumed would have been Heath’s bedroom but that was all there was. “Hey.” Heath walked over to her and took off her light jacket, hanging it up on the hook in the hallway.

“Cosy little place you’ve got.” Bianca looked to the living room, where she saw a little bed up against the wall at the back of the room.

“Dylan rarely uses it,” Heath gestured to the bed. “He usually just sleeps in with me.”

“You sure that’s a good habit to get him into?” Bianca questioned as she put her bag down onto the couch, looking at the mess in the living room, Dylan’s toys and books flung everywhere.

“Probably not but he doesn’t like being alone in this room at night,” Heath said. “I know I need to get him his own bedroom but this is all that was available when we were looking and it sure beats the caravan.” Heath exhaled. He’d only been renting the place for a couple of weeks but knew he needed to get out the caravan.

“I guess,” Bianca murmured. “Where is Dylan?”

“He’s having a nap,” Heath gestured to his bedroom. “Hopefully he wakes up feeling better,” Heath exhaled, before giving Bianca a nervous smile. “You look gorgeous by the way.”

“Thanks,” Bianca smiled back at him, the pair of them staring into each other’s eyes for a moment, no one saying anything. “So,” Bianca cleared her throat as she broke eye contact. “So something smells....” Bianca stopped talking as she sniffed a little. “Quiet decent, actually.”

Heath laughed. “I told you I’ve been trying,” Heath said. “It shouldn’t be too much longer,” Heath glanced at the kitchen before looking back to Bianca. “So can I get you a drink?” Heath wondered. “We’ve got blackcurrant juice or there is peach ice tea,” Heath told her. “Or you can have coffee or tea or just water. I have just water.” Heath played nervously with his wedding ring.

Bianca stifled a laugh. “I’m sure you do have water. But no, I’m okay right now,” Bianca told him, declining the offer of a drink. “Maybe we could just go sit?” Bianca pointed to the couch and Heath nodded as they walked over and took a seat. Bianca noticed a drawing on the coffee table. Well not so much a drawing but multicoloured scribbles over the sheet of paper. “Dylan like to colour?” Bianca said, picking the piece of paper up.

“Yeah,” Heath answered. “Not sure he’ll be the next Picasso though.” Heath laughed.

“Aww he’s only two.” Bianca exhaled as she looked at the coloured lines.

“Yeah yeah I know,” Heath said. “I think that is supposed to be you,” Heath pointed to a big yellow scribble. “He called that Bee when I told him his picture was good,” Heath said, Bianca giving a little smile as she put the drawing down. “I’m glad he likes you because I....we’re trying to get things on track and...” Heath stopped talking as he looked into her eyes, the pair of them smiling at each other. Heath took a deep breath before leaning in and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Bianca pulled back and stared into his eyes for a moment before a smile appeared on her face and she leaned in to kiss him again. Just as their lips met, Dylan yelled out for Heath, causing them to pull apart.

“Daddy.” Dylan shouted. Heath rested his forehead against Bianca’s for a moment.

“I’ll be right back.” Heath said, getting up from the couch and going to check on his son, leaving Bianca sitting on the couch. She placed her hand onto her chest, feeling her heart beating at 10 to the dozen as a rather big grin appeared on her face.

“Darryl,” Maya shrieked as he walked into the house. “Oh my goodness Darryl,” Maya sounded gobsmacked as she ran over to him, jumping up into a hug, Brax wrapping his arms around her, keeping her up. “Don’t you ever leave me again.” Maya scolded as she squeezed him tightly.

“Alright kiddo?” Brax hugged her a moment longer before putting her down on the floor.

“Babe,” Charlie was shocked to see him in the house. She walked up to him, giving him a hug before they kissed. “What are you doing here? I didn’t think you were getting back till next week?”

“I was missing you too much.” Brax murmured, his hand sliding down her back and squeezing her bum cheek.

“I missed you too.” Charlie said before they kissed again.

“Did you miss me?” Maya jumped around them excitedly.

“Of course I did,” Brax told her. “Where’s Benj? I missed that little guy too.” Brax looked around the room before looking back to Charlie.

“Ruby and him have taken Cody for a walk.” Charlie said.

“Rubes is here too?” Brax gave a little smile, thinking it would be nice for them all to spend more time together.

“Yeah,” Maya was still jumping around as she took a hold of Brax’s hand. “We went to the movies to see Cinderella.”

“Ah you did?” Brax gasped. “I bet you loved that.”

“Uh-huh,” Maya nodded. “Oh Darryl I am so pleased you are home,” Maya shrieked. “It’s so good to see you,” Maya leapt forward to hug him again, Charlie getting pushed out of the way. “We will play a game, okay?” Maya told him. “I’ll go pick one.” Maya said before running off to pick a game to play with him.

“Don’t think I’ve been missed.” Brax murmured.

Charlie gave a little laugh. “Think we might have all missed you a little.” Charlie said before she kissed him again, Brax pulling her close to him so their bodies were pressed together. Charlie wrapped her arms around his neck as the kissing intensified, a strange feeling in the pit of Charlie’s stomach as she was more certain now she’d seen him again that she was in love.

A nap seemed to do Dylan the world of good and he’d woken up feeling much better. He still looked a little pale but so far hadn’t complained about feeling sick. “Vroom vroom.” Dylan moved his toy car around the floor.

“He loves his cars,” Heath told Bianca as he handed her her coffee, Bianca asking for one after their lunch. “Hmm buddy?”

“Beep beep.” Dylan said, as he moved the car around Heath’s foot as he sat down on the couch next to Bianca.

“He sure does have a lot of toys,” Bianca said, looking to his things that were strewn everywhere. “You spoiling him?”

“Jess,” Heath said. Bianca bit her lip at the mention of her name. “I think before she....” Heath cleared this throat. “She went on a little spoiling spree.”

“So I see.” Bianca murmured. She couldn’t help but smile as Dylan played. He was the reason that her and Heath broke up, but now, it’s seemed in a weird sort of way, he was bringing them back together.

“Plwease,” Dylan crawled over to Bianca and handed up his car to her. “Bee too.”

“You want me to play cars?” Bianca questioned, Dylan nodding in response as he kept holding the car up to her, wanting her to take it. She leaned forward and put her coffee on the coffee table before pushing herself off the couch and sitting on the floor, Dylan grinning she took the car from him. He crawled over to some other cars and picked up two, crawling back over to the couch and handing one to Heath. Heath got down on the floor and started driving the car around, Dylan and Bianca doing the same. His and Bianca’s hands brushed against each others as they moved the cars around. They both kept their hands still, their hands staying touching as they looked into each other’s eyes. They both smiled softly at each other before they leaned forward and shared a kiss.

thirty-six

Charlie walked back down the stairs, the kids having finally gone to bed. Ruby had gone to her room long ago, a really bad migraine making her want to go lie down. “Finally I get to see you,” Charlie sat down on the couch, immediately cuddling into her man. “Those kids of mines sure do like to hog you from me.” Charlie laughed. Maya and Ben were overjoyed Brax was back and they’d played with him all afternoon and into the evening, Charlie and Brax hardly about to say a word to each other for the kids talking to Brax.

“But they are very sweet little hogs,” Brax murmured as he gave Charlie a smile before placing a kiss on her lips. “Mmm I’ve missed those lips.” Brax said, kissing Charlie again.

“Bet it’s not the only thing you’ve missed.” Charlie murmured between kisses.

“Uh-uh,” Brax shook his head, their kissing becoming a little more passionate as their tongues darted into each other’s mouths. “I uhm....I got you a little something,” Brax pulled back from the kiss as he leaned over the side of the couch and unzipped his bag, taking out the neatly wrapped box. “I would have given you it earlier but didn’t want kiddo to get jealous that I got you a gift and not her.”

“Aww you didn’t need to get me anything,” Charlie sounded a little surprised as she took the gift into her hand. “Aren’t you a keeper?” Charlie leaned in and pecked his cheek before she opened the gift, display a beautiful silver necklace with a love heart pendant. “Aww I love it,” Charlie smiled as she lifted it from the box. “Can you?” Charlie handed the necklace to Brax and he put it on for her. “Babe it’s awesome. I really do love it.” Charlie played with the pendant as she spoke.

“You are welcome,” Brax smiled. “And now you’ll know that even when I’m not around, I love you.” Brax spoke softly as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

“I know that anyways,” Charlie murmured, feeling like now was as good a time as any to confess her love for him. “And I....” Charlie took a deep breath. She hadn’t said this to anyone in a long time. Well of course she told the kids she loved them all the time but she hadn’t said it to a partner in a long time. “I love you too.” Charlie said, a grin on her face as she felt butterflies in her stomach at saying it for the first time.

“Yeah?” Brax was overjoyed to hear the words coming from her mouth.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “I really do.” Charlie said before they kissed again, their arms hugging around each other.

“Well how about we go celebrate the fact we both love each other?” Brax questioned. “After all it has been over two weeks since we....” Brax trailed off as he raised his eyebrows suggestively.

“Two weeks?” Charlie raised her eyebrows. “It must be killing you.” Charlie murmured, a cheeky grin on her face as Brax stood up from the couch, pulling Charlie up with him as they kissed again before making their way up the stairs to Charlie’s bedroom.

Bianca pulled back from the kiss and glanced at her watch. “I should go home.” Bianca murmured.

“Or you could stay,” Heath suggested, a smile on his face as he tucked her hair behind her ear before placing another kiss on her lips.

“Heath,” Bianca shook her head as she pulled back. “I’ve had a lovely time here but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.”

Heath sighed sadly, knowing Bianca was right and they were best to take things slowly. “Dils is in my bed anyways so....” Heath gave a little shrug.

Bianca felt herself giving a little laugh. “I’m not sure a lack of bed would be that much of a problem,” Bianca murmured. “It’s just not a good idea to rush this.”

“No,” Heath exhaled as Bianca stood up from the couch. “Well maybe we could settle for arranging another date,” Heath rubbed the back of his head as he spoke nervously. “Hopefully the next one without Dylan.”

“He’s your son, Heath,” Bianca exhaled. “If we get back together he’s going to be around.”

“I know but,” Heath let out a puff of air. “Charlie and Brax still go on dates without her kids. That’s all I mean.”

“Yeah,” Bianca replied. “I guess we do still need to find time for us,” Bianca said. “But I can....I can be here for Dylan,” Bianca told him, Heath smiling at her words. “He’s a sweet little boy. I thought.....I thought it would be too hard for me to be around him but he just so.....I can do this, Heath.” Bianca told him, Heath’s heart swelling as he knew he was about to get his wife back.

“Well I’m very glad to hear that,” Heath told her, leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “I would walk you home but...” Heath trailed off as he gestured to his bedroom.

“I’ll see you soon.” Bianca leaned up and placed a soft kiss on his cheek before she left the apartment, the grin on her face only growing larger as she left the building.

Charlie cuddled herself into Brax, her head resting in the crook of his neck as she gently traced his chest tattoo with her finger. “I’ve missed this.” Charlie murmured.

“We can go round 2 if you want,” Brax said. “We do have to catch up on missed opportunities.” Brax grinned cheekily.

“I’m not talking about the sex,” Charlie slapped his chest. “I mean the afterwards. When we lay here cuddled up, just....together,” Charlie placed a soft kiss on his chest. “I think I’ve missed this the most.”

“I agree it’s rather nice,” Brax softly kissed her head as he gently caressed her arm. “So,” Brax took a deep breath. “I’ve a question.”

“Oh yeah?” Charlie looked up to him.

“Mmm,” Brax sounded nervous. “Well since you told me about Rubes’ impending arrival, I’ve been thinking about.....” Brax took a deep breath. “Do you want any more children?”

“Uhm,” Charlie looked at little shocked as she sat up in the bed. “You’re not about to ask me to have a baby with you right now, are you?”

“No,” Brax shook his head. “I’d just like to know that we are on the same page for our future,” Brax told her. “Marriage, babies...that’s my future Charlie,” Brax said as he sat up in the bed. “And I know you’ve got the kids already and they’re awesome little critters they really are and I’ll be proud to be in their lives but I....” Brax trailed off as he nervously ran one hand over his other. “Getting married and having a couple of biological children is something I want in life.”

Charlie gave a nervous smile. “I uhm...I always wanted two children when I was younger,” Charlie told him. “Mark and I, we planned both kids. Rubes was obviously my little unplanned gift,” Charlie cleared her throat as she looked up to Brax. “Anyways, when we found out Ben was going to be a boy we said there and then he was our last. We had the girls and now a little boy to complete our family,” Charlie told him. “But then of course we ended and I had to think about dating again and maybe my new partner would want children of his own and did I want to have more children.” Charlie stopped talking, seeing Brax looked nervous for her response.

“And what did you decide?” Brax questioned.

“If I met the right person then I’d be open for one or two more children.” Charlie said, Brax’s face lighting up into a grin.

“That’s all I wanted to know,” Brax spoke with the grin still on his face. “And well, I’d like to marry the mother of my children.”

“I loved being married,” Charlie told him. “Being someone’s wife it was.....it was amazing,” Charlie said. “But then of course that ended in divorce,” Charlie took a deep breath. “It would have to be with someone so very special who I know I’d be married to for the rest of my life because I don’t want to have two failed marriages behind me,” Charlie told him, Brax giving a little nod of course understanding where she was coming from. “But you don’t need to worry about being special enough because you are by far the only person I would ever marry and have more children with.” Charlie told him, Brax breaking into another smile as he leaned down and placed a kiss on Charlie’s lips, Charlie smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as she wrapped her arms around him as they lay back down on the bed, the kiss becoming more passionate.

Thanks for the comments. :)

thirty-seven

Maya giggled as she looked to the laptop screen. “No,” Maya answered. “Then she was sick after Nando’s and when we came home,” Maya told him. “But we sawed Cinderella and it was so good.”

“Maya who are you talking too?” Ruby walked into her bedroom to see Maya on her laptop, talking to Romeo via Skype. “Romeo hey, I...” Ruby glared at Maya. “How did you call him?”

“I didn’t,” Maya answered. “I was coming passed your room and I heard the Skype song so came in and answered to see who it was.” Maya said, batting her eyelids at her sister so she didn’t get told off.

“Get out.” Ruby pointed to the door. Maya frowned before looking back to the screen.

“Bye Todd.” Maya waved to Romeo before she ran from the room.

“She’s super cute.” Romeo smiled as Ruby came into view on the screen.

“Why is she calling you Todd?” Ruby questioned. She knew that was his real name but that no one ever called him it.

“She said Romeo was stupid and asked if I had another name,” Romeo laughed. “So anyways, she said you are being sick?”

“Yeah well being pregnant can do that to you,” Ruby murmured. “So why did you call?” Ruby sounded distant as she didn’t look directly at him.

“Can’t I talk to my girlfriend?” Romeo questioned.

“I guess,” Ruby murmured. “Sorry I feel crappy,” Ruby looked to the screen, giving him a weak smile. “And I.....I have something to tell you and I....I’m a little afraid too.”

“Just say it hun,” Romeo told her. “You can tell me anything.”

Ruby took a deep breath. “Romeo I need my mum right now.” Ruby murmured, feeling nervous for what she was about to tell him.

“Yeah and that’s fine,” Romeo told her. “I’m sorry I was crappy about you leaving this weekend but I -”

“Not just for this weekend,” Ruby spoke over him. “I mean I need my mum through all of this,” Ruby put her hand onto her stomach. “I love you babe and I know you’d be great at looking after me and this baby but at the end of the day, you’re not my mum and no one will ever be like her to me.”

“So what are you saying?” Romeo questioned. “That you’re not coming back at all?” Romeo could feel his heart beating faster with worry, of course wanting Ruby to come back to Sydney.

“Well I need to come and get the rest of my stuff but....” Ruby trailed off. “I’ve moving back home.”

“But what about us and the baby?” Romeo questioned. “Rubes you are supposed to want to be with me not push yourself away from me. I....I’m supporting you and the little love-bug,” Romeo said. “I want us to be a family.”

“We still can be,” Ruby told him. “But I need my mum.”

“So how’s it going to work when you and the baby are down there and I am up here?” Romeo questioned. “Hun I know you are scared because I am too but we can do this together. We can at least try, no?” Romeo hoped Ruby would come back to Sydney.

“I’m sorry,” Ruby shook her head. “I’ve made up my mind,” Ruby told him, waiting on him to answer back. She watched him sitting in silence for a moment before the screen went off, Romeo having clearly cancelled the call. “Romeo.” Ruby went to call him back but before she could, he went offline.

Charlie, Brax and the kids had gone to the mall at Yabbie Creek. Ben needed some new sneakers and Brax had nothing better to do with his day so decided to join them on their shopping trip. “Can I get new shoes too?” Maya was holding Brax’s hand as she skipped alongside her mother who was holding Ben’s hand.

“No, you don’t need new shoes.” Charlie replied.

“But I want them,” Maya frowned. “And you always say it’s not about need it’s about want.” Maya exhaled.

Charlie and Brax both gave a little laugh. “No. I think you’ll find I always say it’s not about want it’s about need.” Charlie corrected her daughter, Maya frowning before she looked up to Brax.

“Will you get me shoes?” Maya questioned.

“I’m afraid not.” Brax said, not about to undermine Charlie’s parenting. She was their mother and what she said goes.

“Will you get me anything?” Maya sighed. “Ben is getting new shoes. It’s fairer if I get something.” Maya said, her voice sounding a little whiny.

“Maya don’t start sounding like a spoilt brat,” Charlie told her daughter as they walked into the shoe store. “After Ben gets his shoes we are going to have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants here,” Charlie told her, the top level of the mall filled by the movies then lots of restaurants. “Lunch out with mummy and Ben and Brax is a nice enough treat, no?”

“New shoes will be better,” Maya muttered. “Oh or a trip to the Disney store.” Maya widened her eyes.

“Just help Ben pick out a nice pair of sneakers,” Charlie said as they stopped by the sneakers for little boys. “What one you like bud?” Charlie looked down to her son who was staring at all the shoes that were on the shelves.

“Ooooh.” Ben widened his eyes as he ran forward as picked up an all red pair with a black Nike tick on the side.

“No Ben these are nicer,” Maya told him, pointing to a blue and white pair. “Or no, these ones.” Maya pointed to a yellow and green pair.

“Oh they are very bright.” Brax said as Maya picked up the yellow and green pair.

“They are cool,” Maya stared down at the sneakers. “Ben get these ones.” Maya told her brother, showing him the shoes.

“Nooo,” Ben moaned as he shook his head. “Mummy these.” Ben hugged the red sneakers close to him.

“Okay well we’ll see if they’ve got them.” Charlie took the shoe from Ben and walked over to a shop assistant to get him his size shoes to try on.

“You’ll buy me a secret present eh, Darryl?” Maya batted her eyelids sweetly at him.

“I’m afraid not,” Brax shook his head. “Mummy said no.”

Maya frowned as she folded her arms across her chest, looking down like she was in the huff. “Bux,” Ben pulled on his hand. Brax looked down to him, seeing his little face looked sad and worried. “Where mummy?”

“She’s just gone to get your shoes.” Brax looked up to see Charlie waiting on the assistant to return with Ben’s shoes.

“They’s red.” Ben told him as he jump up and down excitedly.

“Yeah you’ll look super cool in them huh?” Brax questioned as he ruffled Ben’s curly locks. Ben nodding as they waited for Charlie to return with the box of shoes for Ben to try on.

Ruby had tried calling Romeo but his mobile just kept ringing and ringing till it went through to voicemail. She’d left a couple of text and had tried calling a few times but every call went unanswered. Maybe a part of her was being selfish but she was the pregnant one and at the end of the day she was going to do what she thought was right by not only her but for the baby too. “Oh Cody,” Ruby patted Cody’s head as was resting it on her knee as she sat on the couch. “What am I going to do?” Ruby questioned. Cody looked up at her, his brown puppy dog eyes looking all wide. “Well if you don’t know how am I suppose to know?” Ruby mumbled, still patting his head. She looked up as the doorbell rang. She pushed herself up from the couch and walked through to the door, Cody following after her. “Romeo,” Ruby was shocked to see him at the door. “What are you doing here?”

Romeo walked into the house, throwing down his bag. “I got the next bus down,” Romeo told her. “If you are going to be here then I am too,” Romeo said, his hand going onto her stomach. “I’m going to be where you and love-bug are.”

“I can’t ask you to do that.” Ruby said, pulling herself back.

“You’re not,” Romeo replied. “I want to be here.” Romeo assured her, stepping forward and rubbing her arm.

“But what about uni?” Ruby questioned.

“There’s a uni here, right?” Romeo questioned and Ruby gave a little nod. “Well I can transfer to here and get a part-time job so we’ve got money for love-bug,” Romeo told her. “Please Rubes. I want to be with you. A lot of 18 year old guys would run at the news you were expecting but I am here, wanting to be with you and this baby,” Romeo exhaled. “I know you are scared because I am too but we can get through this together,” Romeo pulled her closer to him, rubbing her upper arms. “C’mon Rubes. Please. Don’t give up on this good thing because you are scared. We are amazing together and our love-bug is going to be amazing too.”

Ruby felt herself tearing up. “I’m sorry. I just got scared and panicked.” Ruby said. Romeo pulled Ruby into a hug, rubbing her back as she placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. If moving to Summer Bay was what it took to be with Ruby and their baby then moving to Summer Bay is exactly what he’d do.

Thank you Kristen, Sarah and Sabrina for the comments. :)

thirty-eight

Charlie, Brax and the kids walked into the house, seeing Ruby hugged up on the couch with someone. “Mum hey, this is Romeo.”Ruby said as they stood up. Romeo smiled to Charlie before holding his hand out, Charlie reaching her hand out to shake it.

“Mrs Buckton.” Romeo smiled sweetly at his girlfriend’s mother.

“Romeo.” Charlie looked him straight in the eyes. Romeo swallowed as their hands parted. Romeo already knowing that she was cross with him for getting her daughter pregnant.

“Hi, I’m Maya. I spoke to you on the laptop this morning.” Maya said, giving him a wave before she batted her eyelids sweetly.

“You did,” Romeo smiled at her before looking to Ben who was half hiding behind Charlie’s leg at the stranger in the room. “And you must be Ben.” Romeo bent down to Ben’s level but Ben moaned before he hid himself fully. Romeo cleared his throat before standing up straight again and looking to Brax.

“That’s Darryl,” Maya told him. “This is Todd. Ruby’s boyfriend. Darryl is mummy’s boyfriend.”

Romeo and Brax shook hands. “So, Todd what brings you to the bay?”

Romeo pursed his lips as he glanced at Ruby before looking back to Brax and Charlie. Ben had ran off to the dog bed where Cody was sleeping and lay down next to him as his hand patted Cody’s stomach. “Ruby and the baby,” Romeo put his hand on Ruby’s stomach. “I want -”

“Ruby is having a baby?” Maya shrieked.

Charlie glanced at her youngest daughter who was jumping around, very excited at the news, before looking to Brax. Brax gave a little nod before pushing Maya from the room, leaving Charlie to talk with her daughter and Romeo alone. Charlie took a seat on the arm chair as Ruby and Romeo sat back down on the couch. “Go on.”

Romeo took a deep breath as he wiped his hand over his forehead, feeling rather nervous. “Ruby said she wants to be here with you and I understand that,” Romeo said. “But she is my girlfriend and I love her and little love-bug,” Romeo put his hand onto Ruby’s stomach. “So if they are here then I am too,” Romeo said. “I’ll transfer my uni, get a part-time job to get some money in,” Romeo told her. “I will stick by your daughter and my child, Mrs Buckton.”

Charlie glanced at Romeo for a moment. She could see how nervous and scared he was but looking deeper into his eyes, she could see he did love and care for Ruby and would be the same with this child. “Well I’m not going to lie,” Charlie exhaled. “I’m disappointed that this has happened,” Charlie glanced at Ruby who bowed her head in shame. “But I’m glad you can step up to your responsibilities.” Charlie said, Romeo giving her a weak smile.

“Of course,” Romeo answered. “I’d never leave Ruby to deal with our child alone.”

Charlie smiled weakly. “Well I’d rather have you two under my roof as you attempt this parenting thing,” Charlie told them. “So you can stay here but there will be some rules,” Charlie said, Romeo giving a nod of understanding. “You can stay in uni. It’s important you do get your degree for the little ones future,” Charlie said. “But I do expect you to get a part-time or a weekend job. You’ll help out with cooking and household chores. This is not a hotel,” Charlie told him. “I won’t take any rent money from you but everything you do make goes on that baby.” Charlie spoke sternly.

“Of course,” Romeo nodded. “Thank you so much Mrs Buckton.”

“It’s Ms.” Charlie finally corrected him.

“Surely he can call you Charlie though.” Ruby said.

Charlie clicked her tongue as she stood up from the arm chair. “Ms Buckton will do for now.” Charlie mumbled as she walked over to Cody’s bed, picking Ben up and walking out the room with him, going to see what Brax and Maya were up to.

“This is nice,” Bianca smiled as she poured three glasses of wine. Leah and Charlie were around for a catch-up, it having been a while since the friends spend some time with each other. “Feels like it’s been months since we’ve done this.”

“It probably has,” Leah murmured. “But let’s get right into it,” Leah picked up her class of wine and took a drink. “How are things with you and Heath?”

Bianca couldn’t help but get a smile on her face. “Judging by that face I’d say pretty awesome.” Charlie said as she reached for her glass of wine.

“It’s good. It’s better than good,” Bianca answered, running her hand up and down the stem of her wine glass. “It’s like back at the beginning of our relationship again,” Bianca told her friends. “Things are great with us,” Bianca said. “We are taking it slow but it’s going in the right direction.”

“Aw well I am happy for you,” Leah said. “And Dylan seems like such a little sweetie.”

“He is,” Bianca told her friends. “He is a sweet kid and I’ll try my best to be a mother to him.” Charlie could see Bianca was nervous.

“You’re great with kids,” Charlie said, thinking about how Bianca was with her two little ones. “Dylan will be lucky to have you in his life.” Charlie assured her.

“Thanks,” Bianca smiled as she took a drink of her wine. “But all he has is Heath and I,” Bianca said. “I think he needs to find some friends.”

“Well between the two of us we’ve got 3 little ones who Dylan can have play dates with,” Leah said as she pointed between Charlie and herself. “We can arrange that, huh?”

“Yeah of course,” Charlie nodded. “And in around 8 months time he’ll have another little one to play with.” Charlie murmured.

“Oh my God,” Leah gasped. “Do we need to take this wine off you?” Leah reached over for the glass but Charlie kept it close to her.

“Ruby,” Charlie said, Leah and Bianca both giving a gasp of surprise. “I’m going to be a Grandma. Cheers to that.” Charlie held lifted her wine glass higher before she took a long drink.

“Wow,” Bianca rubbed the back of her head. “I didn’t even know she had a boyfriend.”

“I think they are barely together,” Charlie murmured. “But he seems like he’s a decent guy. He’s sticking around.”

“Well that’s good,” Leah gave a little smile. “She’s going to need all the support she can get.”

“Don’t I know it,” Charlie of course knew how hard it was to be a young mother, being only 14 when she had Ruby. “But I’m playing the supportive mother and I’ll be there. I’ll do anything she needs me too. She’s still my baby.” Charlie said, of course still disappoint and mad at Ruby for getting herself into this situation but she’d always be there for her little Rubes not matter what.

“Read another chapter.” Maya begged as she clasped her hands together. Maya had begged Brax for a bedtime story and she’d chosen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as the book she wanted him to read. Brax told her it was a very long book but Maya insisted it was fine to only read a few chapters a night as it would mean he’d need to stay over a lot more, Brax being in the house clearly something Maya loved.

“Ah it’s getting late,” Brax said, glancing at his watch. “Mummy would want you asleep by now.”

“No, just one more,” Maya pleaded. “Ay Ben we want more?” Maya said looking to her little brother who was cuddled up in her bed next to her.

“Mummy in book.” Ben said, pointing to the book in Brax’s hand, of course ‘Charlie’ being the main character in the book.

“No,” Maya giggled. “It’s a different Charlie.”

Ben scrunched his face up. “Want mummy.” Ben said, the white rabbit teddy he’d had since he was a baby firm in his grasp.

“Mummy will be back soon bud,” Brax said, ruffling Ben’s hair as he gave a big yawn. “I’ll read one more chapter then its lights out, okay?” Brax questioned, Maya nodding as she got a grin on her face.

“You are so nice Darryl,” Maya told him. “I’m glad you is my mummy’s boyfriend.”

“I’m glad I am too,” Brax flashed Maya a smile. “Now, one more chapter.” Brax said as he started reading the next chapter of the book, Maya and Ben listening intently as they cuddled together in Maya’s bed.

Thanks Kristen, Sarah and braxandricky2013 for the comments.

thirty-nine

Ruby was in the bathroom, once again hugging the toilet bowl. “Here hun, drink some of this,” Romeo rubbed her back as he put the bottle of water beside her. Ruby sat up and glared at Romeo before taking a drink of the water. “You okay?” Romeo questioned.

“I feel like I am on top of the world,” Ruby spat. “Could run a marathon right this minute.” Ruby muttered before taking another drink.

“I’m sorry,” Romeo felt the need to apologise. “Is there anything I can do for you?” Romeo gently rubbed her cheek as he spoke.

“Never put your penis inside me again.” Ruby muttered as she leaned back against the wall, taking another drink.

“I think we are a little late for that idea,” Romeo laughed, trying to break the tension but Ruby just glared at him, not looking impressed. “Maybe we could see a doctor. See if there is anything wrong with you.”

“I’m pregnant Romeo,” Ruby told him. “Call me crazy but that’s probably why I have morning sickness.”

“Well yeah but it’s not morning anymore is it?” Romeo questioned.

“You can get morning sickness anytime you idiot.” Ruby scoffed.

“Oh,” Romeo looked a little embarrassed at his mistake. “Well the name suggests otherwise.”

“Great I’m having a baby with a clueless idiot.” Ruby murmured.

“I’m sorry but what 18 year old male reads up on pregnancy if they don’t have too?” Romeo retorted.

“Except now you do have too,” Ruby spat as she stood up. “You say you are here for me and we are in this together then start proving it.” Ruby said as she walked out of the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind her, leaving Romeo sitting in the room alone. Romeo exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead. He knew Ruby didn’t mean to snap. He knew it was just her recent hormone changes making her like this but he also knew if she was going to be like this for the rest of her pregnancy that it was going to be a long and hard eight months.

“Hey,” Charlie walked into Ben’s room, seeing Brax was changing his nappy. “Oh my God, you are changing my son’s nappy.” Charlie gushed as she put her hand onto her chest.

“Of course I am,” Brax answered as he closed the tabs, just in time it seemed as Ben shot up, excited at seeing his mother and ran over to her. Charlie bent down to his level and scooped him up into a hug, Ben grasping his little hands into her arms. “He woke up wet and I wasn’t about to leave him in a wet nappy all night.”

“How were they?” Charlie questioned, rubbing Ben’s back as she walked over to his bed and lay him down, tucking him back into bed. It was the first time she’d left Brax alone with the kids. Although technically he wasn’t alone as Ruby and Romeo were in the house too.

“Little stars,” Brax told her. “How was your night?” Brax put the old nappy into the nappy bag and left the bedroom with Charlie.

“It was good,” Charlie said as Brax opened the bathroom door and threw the nappy into the bin before following Charlie to her bedroom. “Nice to catch up with the girls.”

“But you are still happy to come back to your man, right?” Brax questioned as he wrapped his arms around her from behind as softy kissed the crook of her neck.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded as she turned around, wrapping her arms around Brax’s neck. “Very very happy,” Charlie murmured before she placed a soft kiss on his lips. Brax smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as his hand wandered down her back and squeezed her bum cheek. “You see much of Ruby tonight?” Charlie questioned as she pulled back and walked over to her side of the bed and took her top off throwing it over to the laundry basket.

“Nah,” Brax started to unbutton his shirt. “I think she spent most of her night in the bathroom.” Brax said, looking rather sorry for the girl, of course no one liked being sick and morning sickness was clearly something that was going to affect Ruby.

“Well morning sickness is the price she’s got to pay for getting knocked up.” Charlie murmured as she took her jeans off and laid them over the chair in the corner of the room before walking back over to her bed, pulling out her pyjamas from under her pillow.

“You’re really not happy about this, are you?” Brax questioned as he took his pants off and laid them next to his shirt and bag he’d taken to the Gold Coast with him.

“What mother is going to be happy that her daughter screwed up her life by getting pregnant at 18?” Charlie questioned, putting her bed shorts on before pulling her singlet over her head.

“Well,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “You got pregnant pretty young and still seemed to do well in life.” Brax murmured as Charlie started walking out of the room. He followed her out and down the hall into the bathroom.

“Firstly,” Charlie said as she took her toothbrush from the holder and Brax picked up his from where he’d left it on the side of the sink. “I didn’t....” Charlie took a deep breath as she put some toothpaste on the toothbrush.

“Look I get that you wouldn’t want history repeating but this doesn’t mean the end of a life for Rubes,” Brax said as Charlie spat into the sink. “She can still do all she wants to be. Like I said, you proved you can,” Brax told her. “God babe you are only 32 and are already Sergeant.”

Charlie spat into the sink again before putting her toothbrush back into the holder. “I guess,” Charlie murmured. “I just....I’m too young to be Grandma.” Charlie pouted. Brax spat into the sink before laughing.

“But you’ll be the hottest Grandma,” Brax told her, putting his toothbrush back on the side of the sink and wrapping his arm around her, pulling her close to him. “And you’ll get this brand new little life to love and give you squishy cuddles.” Brax said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“Mmm,” Charlie pursed her lips before breaking free from Brax’s grasp and walking out of the bathroom, Brax following her back to her bedroom. “I guess I’ve 8 months to get used to the idea.” Charlie murmured as she slipped under the covers, Brax getting in at the other side. “Goodnight, love you.” Charlie told him as she leaned to the side and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Love you too.” Brax murmured as they lay down to sleep.

Thanks Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover, RoRo90 and Sarah for the comments.

forty

It was finally the school holidays and Charlie, Brax and the kids had gone to the Gold Coast for a little break, Maya very excited as it meant she finally got to go to Dreamworld. “Can I do it?” Maya questioned, wanting to open the door to the hotel room. Brax handed her down the key card and Maya grinned as she put it in and out of the slot before opening the door, running into the room as Ben ran in behind her. Each kid jumped onto a different queen sized bed and started jumping up and down. “Why do kids do that?” Brax questioned as he lifted the suitcase up onto the bench.

Charlie shrugged. “Jumping on a bed is fun,” Charlie told him. “Did you like to jump on beds when you were little?”

“Okay I guess so.” Brax murmured.

“Mummy me and you can have this one and Ben and Darryl can have that one.” Maya said pointing over to the bed Ben was jumping on.

“Uh no,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Me and Brax will share and you and Ben will share.”

“Aww okay,” Maya jumped down from the bed and ran over to the bench where the TV was, next to the TV there was a kettle and teas, coffees and hot chocolate and a mini-bar tray. “Wow,” Maya screeched. “There’s chocolate bars and peanuts and Pringles and gummy lollies,” Maya widened her eyes before she opened the little fridge door where there were bottles of beer, the little mini bottles of Gin, Vodka, Whisky and Rum and bottles of coke, sprite, a bottle of water, soda water and tonic water. “Can I have some?” Maya reached for the gummy lollies as Ben jumped down from the bed and ran over to investigate his sister’s findings.

“No,” Brax answered. “That stuff costs you an arm and a leg,” Brax told her, Maya pouting sadly. “I’ll get you some lollies at the shop later.” Brax said, this immediately bringing a grin to her face before she ran to the bathroom.

“Wow,” Maya screeched. “The towels is like a swan,” Ben ran after Maya to see the swan as Charlie and Brax also appeared at the door, seeing that indeed the hand towels had been made to look like a swan on the bathroom vanity. “This is so cool.”

Charlie was a little perplexed. “God Maya you sound like you’ve never been in a hotel before.”

“But I haven’t,” Maya answered. “Not one near Dreamworld,” Maya shrieked, the little girl clearly very excited that she was finally getting to go. When will we go?” Maya said, dancing around the bathroom. Charlie glanced at Ben who was still staring up at the towel swan in awe before looking back to Maya.

“Well we’ll need to discuss that,” Charlie told her daughter. “How about you and Brax go down to reception and get some pamphlets on what we can do in the area over the next few days?” Charlie questioned. They were going to be in the Gold Coast for 6 nights so had 5 days to fill with activities and Charlie was sure one day at Dreamworld would be more than enough. “Go on and mummy and Benj can start unpacking. Hmm bud, you’ll help mummy huh?”

“Yeah unpack.” Ben said as he ran over to his mother. “We Dreamworld now?”

“Not today,” Charlie shook her head. “But very soon. Maybe tomorrow.” Charlie said and Ben grinned before hugging his mothers leg.

“C’mon kiddo,” Brax gestured for Maya to come with him, the pair of them leaving the room to see what they could all get up to on their little holiday.

Romeo jumped as he heard the door slamming shut. “Hey hun how was the walk?” Romeo questioned, Ruby having left for a walk earlier that morning saying she was going to pop into the diner to see if Leah would give her some work, Leah of course obliging.

“What time is it?” Ruby seethed.

Romeo glanced to his watch, seeing it was almost 1pm. “Babe I am so sorry,” Romeo said. He was supposed to meet Ruby at the hospital to confirm their positive result at noon. “I....I got distracted by this.” Romeo showed Ruby the book he was reading.

‘So you’re going to be a Dad’[i/] Ruby read the title out loud. She sniggered as she sat down on the armchair and fished into her bag, pulling out the scan picture. “You can’t see much,” Ruby flung it at him, Romeo smiling as he looked to his child. “How could you miss this, Romeo?” Ruby sounded angry.

“I’m sorry. I was trying to read up to show you how much you and this baby mean to me. To show you how much I care and want to know what I’m supposed to be doing.” Romeo said.

“You are supposed to be at the first scan,” Ruby raised her voice. “As if I wasn’t already embarrassed enough going in there saying I was pregnant at 18, not having the father present made me look like a right skank.”

“I’m sorry,” Romeo exhaled. “I got so into reading this that I lost track of time,” Romeo told her. “But I know that little love-bug is about the size of a lentil right now and that her organs are starting to develop and now’s the time for you to start taking prenatal vitamins so you and the love-bug can stay healthy and strong,” Romeo exhaled as he moved closer to the chair where Ruby was sitting. “Hun please. I’m trying here.”

Ruby pursed her lips as she gave a little nod. “You better be at the 12 week scan,” Ruby warned him. “And go get me some liquorice,” Ruby demanded. “I want liquorice.”

“But you hate liquorice.” Romeo scrunched his face up.

“Well I want some,” Ruby retorted. “Can you get me some. Please.” Ruby gave him a little smile.

“Anything for my love,” Romeo gave her a smile as he tucked her hair behind her ear. “I’ll be right back.” Romeo told her before leaving the house to go get Ruby her requested liquorice.

Charlie, Brax and the kids had gone out for lunch and then went up the Skypoint observation deck. “Will we see Dreamworld from up here?” Maya questioned as she ran over to the big floor to ceiling glass windows.

“I hope she is not going to be disappointed tomorrow,” Charlie said as she and Brax walked over to the kids, Maya trying to look out those big binoculars that you need to pay for so they will work as Ben was banging his foot on the glass floor as he looked downwards. “Have you been to this place before?” Charlie questioned, watching as Ben continued to bang the glass. “Ben buddy don’t do that,” Charlie ruffled his hair. “You don’t want to break it, do you?”

“Oh no falls.” Ben immediately stopped banging the glass as he held onto Charlie’s leg tightly; obviously fearful it would still break.

“Nah I’ve never been,” Brax looked out to the views. “I’m actually quite excited for going. I can go on the rides, right?” Brax questioned his head cocking to the side as he batted his eyelids like a little kid who was wanting something.

“Of course,” Charlie laughed. “Being at a theme park is a day in which you get to be a big kid,” Charlie told him. Brax grinned; it very clear to Charlie that Maya wasn’t the only one looking forward to going to Dreamworld. “But no stomping your feet if you don’t win a teddy at the games stalls.” Charlie said as she patted his chest. Brax chuckled before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“Darryl,” Maya screeched as she looked around from the window. “Look at the beach,” Maya pointed outside. “We need to go there one day.” Maya said as Charlie, Brax and Ben walked across to join her to see the views of the city.

Archived