Wedded Miss

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thank you, Jarliefan, JosieTash and pembie!Here's another one for everyone.

CHAPTER 11

As April woke up, she slowly remembered the events of the previous night and felt Heath’s arms around her.She shifted her body, freeing herself from his grip but waking him in the process.She looked at him awkwardly.“So, er, what happens now?”
“I’m not going back to the couch,”Heath said firmly.
April glared at him.“Well, what if I don’t want to share a bed with you?”
“You can have the couch.”
“You’d really kick me out of the bed?”
Heath considered this for a few moments.“Yeah,”he concluded at last.
April sighed.“So, if we’re sharing this bed, what exactly does that mean?Are we treating this like a slumber party or are we, I dunno, together?”
“Do you have to label everything?”
“Yes, it’s how my brain works.”
Heath shrugged.“Not like either of us are going to be sleeping with anyone else any time soon.”
“That’s not really a good enough reason.”
“If it works…”
April considered the issue.“So, what, are we kind of like friends with benefits, except married?”
Heath grinned.“Sounds good to me.”He took hold of her shoulder and pulled her towards him, their lips meeting.April surrendered to the kiss for a moment, then pulled back, giving a slight grin.
“Okay, I can see the upside of this arrangement but before we do anything that’s going to result in us not leaving this bed for quite a while, we kind of need to get dressed.”
“Why?”
April sighed, her mood dampened somewhat.“Because we have to meet Bianca.”
Heath remembered what she was talking about and his mood dampened as well.

Dexter and Ruby were sat on the couch at the Walker farm, Ruby with her laptop resting on her lap. Dexter began kissing the back of Ruby’s neck lightly, causing her to giggle but also pull away. “Dexter, I need to get this done for uni!”
“Just give it a moment.”Dexter kissed her on the lips and she reciprocated, their bodies becoming entangled.
“Are you serious?!”demanded Sasha as she wandered into the room.She glared at Ruby.“Did you move in when I wasn’t looking?”
“Ignore her,”Dexter advised Ruby,“She’s just upset because her boyfriend broke up with her.”
“This is nothing to do with Spencer!”Sasha sighed.“I’m glad you’re happy and everything but can you please not be happy on the couch?It’s worse than when you were with April.”She wandered out again.
Ruby watched Dexter closely.“Are you okay?”
“What, because of the A word?”Dexter shrugged.“You know what, I think I’m finally ready to close the book on that one.”He kissed her lightly.“So, where were we?”
Ruby smiled and turned back to her laptop.“Studying for uni.”

Heath and April stood in the hospital corridor.Heath unconsciously took April’s hand.She didn’t really mind but she had a feeling Bianca would if she saw.“Not really the right time,”she said gently.
Heath hastily withdrew his hand.“Right.”
A few moments later, Bianca appeared at the other end of the corridor.She stopped at reception. “Bianca Scott.I’m here for my scan.”The nurse on duty took her details and gestured for her to wait. She went over to where the pair were standing and looked at April.“Are you coming in with us?”
April looked questioningly at Heath who shrugged.“If you want to,”he told her.
She looked back at Bianca.“Do you mind?”
“You know, April, nothing in this is happening the way I wanted it,”Bianca replied frostily,“But if that’s what you want, then that’s what happens.”
April looked again at Heath whose main response was a grimace.She understood.It was going to be a difficult couple of hours.

The three of them headed into the examination room together, Bianca lying down on the bed as Heath and April stood off to one side.The technician rubbed the gell on her stomach and began performing the ultrasound scan.“Healthy heartbeat, everything where it should be…I’d say you’ve got a healthy baby,”she informed them.
“Can you tell if it’s a boy or a girl?”April asked.
The technician looked at her curiously then back at Bianca.“This is my sister,”Bianca explained, “Heath’s wife.”
The technician raised an eyebrow but otherwise didn’t comment.“Do you want to know?”
“No,”Bianca answered, looking at Heath as though challenging him to argue.He stayed silent.
The technician took the scanner away.“I can print you off a photograph of the scan if you like.”
“Yes, please,”Bianca agreed.
“Can we have one as well?”Heath asked.He noticed Bianca stare at the use of “we” but didn’t feel like making excuses.
“Of course,”the technician confirmed,“I’ll just get them for you.”
Bianca rolled off the bed and sat with her back to them.April took Heath’s hand.This time, neither of them withdrew.

Thank you for the comments, Jarliefan, pembie, JosieTash and Danni!

CHAPTER 12

“You sure you don’t want me to give you a lift to uni?”Heath asked.
April was still busy making the bed.“No, I’ll catch the bus.You got anything on at the gym today?”
“Just the usual.At least Indi’s stopped giving me a hard time.”
April winced.“Yeah, sorry about that.”
“It’s okay, I’m used to it.See you later!”Heath opened the door to leave and nearly bumped into Tamara, who was about to knock on it.“If you want me, I’m just going.If you want April, she’s there.”He pushed past her and left.
Tamara raised her eyebrows.“Well, I see he’s being extra charming.”
April smiled.“He grows on you.”
Tamara looked at her suspiciously.“That couch doesn’t look slept on.”April reddened slightly and Tamara’s eyes widened.“Oh my god, it’s true, you’re sleeping with him.”April nodded slowly and Tamara made an annoyed noise.
“It’s not that bad,”April protested.
“No, it just means I’ve lost the bet I had with Kyle.You and Heath?”
“Yeah, I know, it sounds weird when you say it like that.We’re not exactly together, we’re just… Well, I don’t know what we are but whatever it is we’re it.”
Tamara shrugged.“Well, good luck, I guess.I hope you know what you’re doing.”
April sighed.“So do I.”

The rest of the day passed in a bit of a blur until April found herself stepping off the bus back in town.She vaguely registered the police car parked near the surf club but didn’t think anything of it until the officer stepped out as she was walking past.“Can I see some ID, miss?”
April turned to him with a mixture of bewilderment and annoyance.“Why do you want to..?”She stopped as she recognised the officer, her eyes widening in delight.“Xavier!”She gave her ex-boyfriend a brief hug, smiling.“What are you doing here?Are you back here now?”
“No, just a temporary posting, I should be off again in a few weeks.”
“So, what have you been up to?”April glanced at his left hand and stared hard at the third finger.“Is that a wedding ring?!”
Xavier grinned.“Yeah, I got married.”
“What’s her name?What’s she like?”
“Actually, you met her.Kelly?”
It took April a moment to place the farm girl Xavier had dated two years previous.“How did you meet up with her again?”
“I got a posting near where her family lived, we met up again and kind of clicked.We’ve got our own place near the farm, she can head off to help her mum every day and I can head off to catch crooks.So, what about you?I heard you got back with Dex, you married yet?”
“Yeah…you’re a bit behind on that one.Actually, I’m married to Heath.”
Xavier looked at her with sudden concern.“Heath?Heath Braxton?”
“It’s kind of complicated, it all happened while you were here actually…”
“April, you need to be really careful.”
April looked hard at her old friend.There was an intensity about him that suggested there was more than just general wariness of the Braxtons involved.“Xavier, do you know something that I don’t?”
Xavier sighed.“I really shouldn’t be telling you this.I’m down here to help out with a special case because I know the area.There’s a major league drug deal going on somewhere around here.The police in Sydney caught a guy they’ve been after for a while a few weeks back but there was nothing on him.They think that someone in the area is holding onto his gear for him and he’s coming to collect it.”
April suspected the answer but had to ask anyway.“So what’s that got to do with..?”
“Heath is one of their main suspects.”

Dexter and Ruby were sat at their favourite table in the Diner.“Dex, you know I love you,”Ruby was saying,“but there’s a limit and giving up my whole Saturday to go to a Star Wars movie marathon is it.”
“Well…maybe we could just go in the afternoon?That’s what most people are doing.”
“Still discussing the important things then?”asked a familiar voice as a uniformed figure appeared in front of them.
“Xavier!”Ruby exclaimed, getting up and giving him a hug, while Dexter shook his hand.
“Howdy, partner,”Dexter greeted him,“Have a seat.”
“So, what are you doing here?”Ruby asked as they all sat down again.
Xavier grinned at her.“Just keeping tabs on all the local crims.”He saw Ruby look away, shamefaced.“Too soon?”
“Awkward subject,”Dexter confirmed.
“So I hear you two are together?”Xavier attempted.
“Have you finally been paying attention to Facebook statuses?”Ruby asked.
“No, I put my foot in it with April earlier so I got Jett to give me the list.”Xavier looked at Dexter. “So, are you planning to date all my ex-girlfriends?Because there’s only Sasha left and that’s…”
“Bermuda Triangle,”Dexter confirmed.

“I’m home!”Heath called out as he arrived back at the flat.He was met by the sight of April, looking at him with something almost akin to fear.“What’s wrong?”
April took a deep breath.“Are you up to something?”
“I’ve been at the gym!”
“And you haven’t got any sidelines going on?”
Heath could feel his anger levels rising.“Like what?”
“Xavier’s back in town.He told me that the police are looking for someone who’s holding onto a drug stash and they think it might be you.And I really hope…”
“What?That you haven’t just tipped off a criminal?”
“Well, it’s not like you’ve been all that good saying no to drug deals in the past.”
“I said no to you.Remember?”
April paused, embarrassed to be reminded of how she’d asked him to buy her pills to get her through her exams.
Heath looked at her angrily.“How can you think I’d do that?I’m your husband!”
April sighed.“You’re not really, though.”
“No?Think about it.We live together, we eat together, we see each other every day.I’m the one you moan to about your assignments, you’re the one I talk to when I’ve had a hard day at the gym.We have sex when we feel like it.What exactly do you think other married couples do that we don’t?”He stormed out of the flat.
April suddenly found she had a lot to think about.

Thank you for the comments, Jarliefan, Zetti, pembie and JosieTash!And a Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

CHAPTER 13

April stood in the middle of the flat, leaning forward so her hands rested on the sofa.She’d been standing in that position for most of the morning, pondering the curious state of her life.She’d been married to Heath for longer than she knew, but even when she found out she’d never viewed it as a proper marriage.Sure, she’d moved in with him and stayed when she didn’t need to.And sure, they’d had a fair go at doing the things that married people do.But there wasn’t any more than that, was there?
Tamara appeared in the doorway of the flat.“Everything all right?”
“I’m married to Heath!”April exclaimed in astonishment.
Tamara gave her a strange look.“Well, yeah, that’s kinda how all this came about.”
“No, I didn’t mean I’m married to him on paper, I mean…I’m actually married to him.We’re acting like a married couple.”
Tamara came into the flat and walked over to her.“Well, how do you feel about that?”
April turned around, resting her back.“I don’t know.I didn’t expect this to happen.A few months ago, I was expecting that I’d be married to Dex, that that would be my future.Now…what?Am I actually supposed to make this marriage work?”
“Do you want to?”
April sighed.“Can I ask you a personal question?”
“You can try.”
“What made you decide it was Kyle you wanted to be with rather than Casey?”
Tamara thought for a moment.“I guess Casey and I went through so much together, had so much history, than in the end we were together because we thought we should be rather than because it was what we wanted.With Kyle, it was just so much easier, you know?More natural.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“Is…is that how you feel with Heath?”
“I don’t know.I thought I loved him once.Looking back…I’m not sure whether I did or I didn’t.I’m not even sure if he’d want this even if I wanted him.”
“Well…maybe you should talk to him.”

April walked to the surf club slowly, no idea what she was going to say to Heath when she got there. She was so lost in thought that she didn’t even hear the commotion until she was almost on it.
From the distance of the car park, she could see a scuffle going on outside the surf club.There were police officers there and Heath as well.Her heart leapt into her mouth.Had Heath been lying after all? Were the police there to arrest him?Then she realised what was really going on and her fear became even more pronounced.
Two police officers were in the middle of manhandling a large, well-dressed man towards a car. Xavier was struggling with another man, slightly taller than himself, who was dressed rather scruffily. And a similarly-dressed but far more burly man was struggling with Heath, who seemed to have met his match.The man knocked Heath to the ground with a savage blow and began kicking him.
“Leave him alone!”April shouted, running towards the melee.
The man looked up, thrown by the interruption.At that moment, Xavier, who had managed to hold down and handcuff his opponent, drew his truncheon and struck the man across the shoulders, knocking him down.
April practically threw herself at Heath, relieved to see that he was conscious and seemingly not seriously injured.She didn’t think her shock could get any greater but then Xavier grabbed Heath’s hand and helped him to his feet.“Thanks for your help.”

April took Heath inside and sat him down on one of the tables near the gelato bar as she bathed a cut above his eye.“The Balock brothers,”he explained,“Always were trouble.”He winced at the sting of the disinfectant.
“Sorry,”April said quietly,“So they’re the two you and Xavier were fighting?”
“Yeah.Don’t know who the other one was, some city big shot I think.They must have been doing his dirty work for him.”
“So how did you get involved?You haven’t been working as an undercover policeman all this time or something, have you?”
Heath laughed.“Not ever.I was just putting some stuff in the bins when I heard all this crashing.Was gonna leave them to it until I saw Xavier was there.I knew he was your mate and he’s not too bad for a copper and he’d somehow ended up tangling with both the Balocks by himself so I thought I’d help him out.”
“You’re a hero.”
“Guess so.Feels kind of good.”
Xavier came in.“Well, all three of them have been loaded up so looks like I’m heading back to the country with a result.”He held out his hand to Heath.“Thanks, mate.I owe you one.And sorry for telling April you were a suspect.”
“Well, guess it’s what you cops do.”Heath accepted Xavier’s hand.“Try not to get yourself killed without me around to look after you, okay?”Xavier started to walk away.“Any chance of a reward?” Heath called after him.
Xavier stopped and sighed, but he kept the smile on his face.“I’ll make enquiries.No promises, mind!”
April waited until Xavier had left them alone, then kissed Heath, lightly but intensely.“What was that for?”he asked.
“I love you,”she said quietly.She saw the shocked look on his face.“I wasn’t sure but seeing you get attacked like that…I just knew in that moment that if anything happened to you then it would kill me. I don’t know if you feel the same way…”
“I think I do,”Heath replied,“When you thought I was mixed up in this, that hurt.I want you to think good of me.”He gave a small laugh.“I think I want you to like me.”
April smiled and kissed him again.She felt him put his arms round her waist.She’d never noticed how much she liked him holding her.

Thank you for the comments, Danni, JosieTash and pembie!Hopefully you'll like where the story goes from hereon.

CHAPTER 14

Heath and April sat together in the hospital corridor.“You should be in there,”April argued.

Heath shrugged.“She’s got Leah in there with her, that’s the main thing.What about you?”

April was surprised at the question.“What do you mean?”

“Well, last time this happened it was you she wanted with her.”

April sighed.“Yeah, I get the feeling that we’re not as close as we used to be.”

“Sorry.”

April took his hand.“Hey, I’m not complaining.I wish things could be different between Bianca and me but…I think it’s worth it.”Heath nodded gratefully.“Should it be taking this long?”

Heath shrugged.“Don’t know.I wasn’t there for Darcy and then Rocco was a caesarean so I’m not sure how long it takes.”

“Yeah.Me neither.”

Inside the delivery room, Bianca was groaning with labour pains.Leah held onto her hand, smiling sympathetically.“You went through this twice?”Bianca asked her.

“With VJ and Pippa, yeah.”

“Were you crazy?”

Leah shrugged.

The midwife looked up from her examination.“All right, Bianca, you’re ready to deliver.”

“Oh good,”Bianca sighed, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Wait until the next contraction and then push.”

“I’m going to be right here with you,”Leah told her reassuringly,“You want to break my hand as a stress relief, you go right ahead.”

Bianca nodded.“You’re a good friend.”She felt the contraction and pushed, giving out an agonised scream to accompany the delivery.

“Well done, Bianca!”the midwife called encouragingly,“You’ve got a daughter.”

“Can I see her?”Bianca asked.

The midwife wrapped the baby girl in a blanket and handed her to her mother.Bianca gazed down at her, instantly adoring her daughter.

“She’s lovely, Bianca,”Leah said admiringly.

Bianca nodded.“Are they still outside?”she asked.

“As far as I know.”

“Tell them they can come in.”

Heath and April made their way slowly into the room, to be greeted by the sight of Bianca cradling the baby.“Oh, Bianca, she’s gorgeous,”April explained.

Heath couldn’t stop grinning.“She really is.”

“Thank you,”Bianca replied in a matter of fact tone of voice,“Would you like to hold her?”

Heath nodded eagerly.“Please.”

Bianca passed the baby to him.He cradled her gratefully in his arms while April stroked her cheek gently.“This is your daddy,”April told her.

“And this is your Auntie April,”Heath added.

“And that’s something we’re going to have a hard time explaining when she gets older,”Bianca concluded.

The temperature in the room dropped slightly.“So, erm, what’s her name?”Heath asked.

“Well, that’s something we’re going to have to discuss.”

Heath was surprised.“You mean..?”

“I mean you’re her father and you should have some say in it.April, can you leave us alone for a moment?”

April looked questioningly at Heath, who nodded in agreement.She kissed him on the cheek and kissed her new niece on the forehead before leaving them to it.

“I think the whole Bay knows by now that you and April…have a full marriage,”Bianca remarked, “I’m not as close to her as I used to be and perhaps I never will be.But she’s still my baby sister and if you hurt her then you’ll have me to answer to.”

Heath nodded.“I won’t.What about you though?I figured you’d be with MacGuire by now or something.”

Bianca gave a hollow laugh.“And have my fourth wedding in as many years?Anyway, he’s with Leah now.”She gestured for Heath to hand their daughter over her.“I think this one will be enough for me for a while.Maybe one day you and April will start a family.Then she’ll become a half-sibling and a cousin all in one go.”

Thank you for the comments, Jarliefan, pembie, JosieTash and Danni, and a Happy New Year to all readers!This is the last chapter, hope everyone enjoys it.

CHAPTER 15

April looked at herself in a full length mirror.Her hair was tied up above her head, she was carrying a bouquet and wearing a long white dress.Every inch the perfect bride.It was an image of herself that she hadn’t expected to see again quite so soon.
Tamara entered, her hair and accessories similar to April’s but her dress simpler and in a pale pink. “Are you ready?”
April breathed out nervously.“Am I doing the right thing?”
“Well, it’s a bit late to worry about it now.This is just like dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.”
“Yeah, I know.This just makes it all seem so real.”
“It’s been pretty real up to now.That’s made you happy, hasn’t it?”
April smiled.“Yes.Very happy.”
Darcy appeared, wearing a smaller version of the dress Tamara wore.She smiled at the sight.“You look like a princess, Auntie April.”
“Thank you, Darce.”April examined her reflection again.“Yeah, I kind of do.”
“Wow,”came another voice from the doorway,“Did I really let that go?”
April looked round at Xavier, who had been pressed into service as a chauffeur for the occasion and even agreed to don the hat.“I guess so.”
Xavier mulled the point over.“What the hell, I’ve still got Kelly.You want to go remind someone else how lucky he is?”
April smiled.“Let’s go do just that.”

A special marquee had been set up near the surf club, with the guests seated.Heath was standing up the front, Brax, Kyle and Casey lined up alongside him.Dexter and Ruby were there, Indigo and Sasha with them.Irene, Leah, Zac and Bianca, the latter cradling her and Heath’s daughter Domina. Xavier took his place alongside Kelly, who had been chatting with John and Jett.Ricky was doing her best to keep Cheryl quiet.Not all of them fully approved but April was grateful they were there.
With Tamara and Darcy following her, she joined Heath at the front.
“Heath and April have chosen to renew their vows in front of their friends and family,”the celebrant announced.
“No-one really knew we were doing it the first time round,”April noted.
“Including us,”Heath added.
“But we’ve thought about it and we’ve worked through a lot of things and we’ve decided that we’re really glad about it.”
Heath nodded.“If I was going to find out I’d married someone, I’d want it to be you.”
April smiled, blushing slightly, a smile echoed by many of those present.
“Then repeat after me,”the celebrant instructed.
“I call upon these persons here present to witness that I, Heath, have taken you, April, to be my wife and I now renew this vow.”
“I call upon these persons here present to witness that I, April, have taken you, Heath, to be my husband and I now renew this vow.”
“Then I therefore confirm that you are husband and wife.”
Heath pulled April towards him and kissed her.

They arrived back at the flat later that evening, entangled in an embrace as they stumbled through the door.Suddenly, Heath stopped.“We’ve forgot something.”
“What?”April asked.
“I’m meant to carry you over the threshold.”
April gave him a sceptical look.“I think we’re past that stage.”
Heath’s response was to pull her back out of the flat and lift her off her feet.April gave a shriek of surprise as he carried her inside and settled her down on the bed.“You look really hot in that wedding dress, Mrs.Braxton.”
“Mrs.Braxton,”April mused,“Give me a few weeks to decide if I like that one or not.”
“You’d look even hotter out of it.”
“Yeah, we’ve already established that.Took us a while to figure out the rest of it.”She took his hand. “I’m glad we did though.”
“Me too,”Heath agreed.Then he kissed her and pushed her back on the bed.

Archived