Conjugal Charms

Guest mizziette

Not much Brax, i know you wanted it...but it's his birthday soon so...who know? :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.

THIRTY ONE

‘Maybe it’s just a phase.’ Charlie offered as she sat on her couch. ‘I’m sure he’ll grow out of it.’

‘Well, I really wish he’d grow out of it soon.’ Bianca shuddered sitting in the diner with the phone on her ear. ‘I’m not cut out to deal with creepy insect obsessions.’

‘I don’t know what I can say. I have my own little issues on this end.’ Charlie watched as Aria and Gigi played chase. ‘Aria’s being so possessive of me the last couple of days. I can barely go to the bathroom without a fuss.’

‘Well, you did want more attention.’ Bianca smirked. ‘You can’t say you didn’t ask for it.’

‘Not this much of it. Now I know how Brax feels.’

‘Speaking of, it’s his birthday soon. Is he excited?’

‘I don’t think he wants to get any older which is understandable.’ Charlie put her legs up on the couch. ‘I keep telling him thirty three’s young.’

‘Well it’s younger than you.’ Bianca joked.

‘I know.’ Charlie whined. ‘I’m going to be thirty five. They say that’s when you get middle aged.’

‘Age is just a number. You look young, and you feel good, it doesn’t really matter.’

Charlie agreed. ‘That’s why I want to make this birthday really special for him. I want him to look forward to feeling good on his special day.’

‘It’s great how you guys still have the romance.’ Bianca smiled as she took a bite of Leah’s special chocolate cake. ‘I can just picture the two of you in thirty years’ time sitting on the porch playing bridge.’

‘I don’t even know what bridge is.’ Charlie laughed.

‘Well, scrabble then.’ Bianca rolled her eyes as she watched her son walking away from her and sitting at Marilyn and Roo’s table. ‘Valen, come back here.’

There was a knock on Charlie’s door and she stood up from her seat to get it. ‘Listen, that’s the door. I should get going.’

‘Sure call later.’ Bianca put her phone down and finished the last of her cake. Looking over at her son, the little boy had something in his hand and was showing the women. The tiny insect crawled in and out of Valen’s tiny fingers much to the dismay of poor Marilyn who looked ready to faint.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie bent down to look at Harry and tickled him. ‘Hi there buddy. How’s your mouth feeling?’

‘He’s still a little sore but getting there, aren’t you honey?’ Rachel answered for him.

‘I got a big Ouchy.’ Harry pouted.

Charlie hugged him lightly just as Aria got out of her room with her father. She crossed her eyes and stuck out her bottom lip in upset. ‘Rachel, Tony, this is Brax. My husband.

Brax reached out his hand. ‘Hey, you guys used to live here, right?’

‘Yeah, years ago.’ Tony shook his hand.

‘Aria gorgeous, aren’t you going to say hi to Harry?’ Charlie who had now stood back up asked.

‘No.’ Aria pouted and the adults looked at each other.

‘I thought you two were friends.’ Brax lightly pushed her closer to the boy so they were inches apart.

‘Cha-Cha? Do you have ice cream?’ Harry, who’d been craving something cold all day interrupted.

‘Maybe in a little while buddy.’ Charlie smiled at the pet name and ruffled his head.

Aria burst out and grabbed her mother’s arm, flinging it away from the boy and bringing it around her. ‘Mine!’

Charlie was shocked. ‘Aria! What’s wrong with you today?’

‘Harry go!’ Aria spat out coldly with trembling lips and watery eyes.

‘Ari, I thought you liked Harry? I’m sure he likes you.’ Equally shocked and embarrassed, Brax tried to calm the situation.

‘Yeah I like you Aria.’ Harry agreed with wide eyes and tried to hug her. ‘You’re my friend.’

‘Get your own mummy!’ Aria pushed him away from her and he stumbled backwards. Rachel held onto his arm with a gaped mouth.

Charlie quickly grabbed the girl and pulled her strictly back to face her. ‘Aria Braxton! You do not push people, do you understand? Hitting and pushing is not okay behaviour!’

‘You my mummy!’ The first tears escaped her eyes and she pulled her away from their guests. ‘You mine!’

‘Yes, I’m your mummy.’ Charlie sighed.

‘Maybe we should do this another time?’ Tony suggested.

‘Yeah, I’m sorry about this eh.’ Brax held the door open a little wider as the Holden family began to leave. ‘I hope Harry’s okay.’

‘We’re really sorry. She’s not usually like this.’ Charlie was mortified.

‘No harm done, I suppose.’ Rachel held a tight grip on her son as they left. ‘We’ll catch up later.’

‘Bye.’ Charlie called after them and looked at her daughter sternly after Brax closed the front door. ‘Now, I know you’re angry and that’s okay, you’re allowed to be angry but you do not under any circumstances hit people. Harry could’ve been hurt.’

Aria wasn’t listening, she was just relieved to have her mother to herself again. Taking Charlie’s hand and pulling it, she tried to drag her to the bedroom. ‘Play.’

‘No.’ Charlie took her hand away and stood up. ‘Mummy can’t play with little girls who hit people. maybe if you promise to never do it again and say sorry but…’

She walked over to sit on the couch. Aria just stomped her foot and sniffled deeply, looking up at Brax. ‘Daddy?’

‘Don’t look at me.’ Brax shrugged and followed his wife, turning on the TV.

Aria didn’t like being ignored. Charlie and Brax were sitting watching the news and she couldn’t stand it. ‘No come!’ She ran over and dug her fingers into her thigh, trying to pull her to play with her but they both just shooed her away.

‘Please don’t do that. It hurts.’ Charlie didn’t take her eyes off the TV.

Aria sniffed back some more tears and jumped up on to the couch to climb on to her mother. She couldn’t stand it. ‘Mummy!’

‘No. Only when you’re ready to behave.’ Charlie lifted the girl up and placed her on the floor a metre away from them before sitting back down. ‘Are you?’

Aria stood with hands in fists and a tear stained face staring at her parents’ stern faces. On the one hand, her pride was too great and on the other the neglected feeling was worse. Biting her lip, she started at them desperately.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for commenting. Here's the next one.

THIRTY TWO

‘We went next door and she apologised to me and apologised to Harry so hopefully she won’t do it again.’ Charlie sighed as she tied the red ribbon around the branch in the park. ‘We haven’t had any trouble after that so…’

‘Yeah, let’s hope.’ Bianca agreed as they continued walking. ‘I still can’t believe you’re doing all this for him. It’s beyond romantic.’

‘We’re newlyweds. Romance is in our nature.’ Charlie dramatized. ‘I just want him to have the best day ever.’

‘If this is his birthday, I can’t wait to see Valentine’s day.’ Bianca shook her head as they walked back to the car.

Charlie unlocked the car. ‘It’s just too bad I have to go to work in the morning. And Brax has to work the afternoon shift tomorrow so we won’t get all day.’

‘He’s the boss. Can’t he just make someone else do it?’ Bianca got into the passenger side.

‘The girl who was supposed to do it got sick last minute. There isn’t anyone else.’ Charlie sighed. ‘And Heath was already rostered on a double shift.’

‘I’d offer to take his shift but I can’t bartend to save my life.’ Bianca laughed.

‘Well no one’s asking you to.’ Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘Just assume your babysitting duties.’

‘Done and done.’ Bianca fake saluted.

‘The bag on the floor.’ Charlie gestured with her head while driving. ‘I went shopping, what’d you think?’

Bianca bent to pick it up and looked inside it where a single silky red scarf lay in white tissue paper. She shook her head with a smile. ‘

--------------------------------------------------

Brax woke up on his thirty third birthday to find the bed empty. Sitting up, he realised that Charlie’s phone and purse was missing from the bedside table and he scratched his head. It was too early for her to be at work. Surely she hadn’t forgotten his birthday?

Walking into the bathroom, he rubbed his eyes and opened the mirrored cabinet doors above the sink, taking out his toothbrush. There was a little red ribbon tied around it with a place card attached to it.

You didn’t think I’d forget did you? Happy Birthday!

While he was shaving, Aria ran into the bathroom and sat on the closed toilet seat staring up at him with doe eyes, swinging her legs back and forth curiously. Brax smiled down out of the corner of his eye and she gleamed up at him as he shaved. ‘Happy buttday daddy!’

‘Thanks.’ Brax noticed she was already dressed in a white top and pale pink jeans, and wore a red ribbon around her neck with a familiar cream card tied to it. He washed his face and bent down to get the ribbon over her head to read the card.

Don’t look inside the ladybug backpack. You’re taking it on a field trip. I love you.

Sighing, Brax looked at Aria. ‘What’s mummy up to?’

‘I no-no!’ Aria shrugged and followed him to her room. The red lady bug shaped backpack sat on the bed, with a red ribboned cream card tied to the strap.

Ready for your birthday cake? You’ll have to find it first. I wonder who makes the best cake in Summer Bay. Want a clue? Take a walk down the beach.

‘I wonder who makes the best cake.’ Brax thought out loud and looked down at Aria.

‘Cake!’ The little girl pondered for a while and her eyes lit up when she figured it out. ‘Leah!’

‘You’re right! The diner.’ Brax praised her and he stood to look at the little red backpack, contemplating on peeking into it. Shaking his head with a smile, he put the pack on the girl and headed down to the beach where the pier diner was located.

The second they entered the diner, Leah greeted them. ‘Brax, happy birthday! Charlie told me you’d come for breakfast. Why don’t you take a seat? I got something for you guys.’

Brax sat down and took off the backpack from Aria so she could do the same. The two chatted for a good two minutes before Leah and Indi returned with jam scones, a coffee, a hot cocoa and a candled slice of chocolate cake.

‘Cake!’ Aria reached out, smiling. Brax laughed and blew out the candle before they ate their breakfast.

On the way out, Leah handed them a ribboned place card.

Enjoy your breakfast? Roses are red, violets are blue. Take her where we first said I love you.

Brax smiled and took Aria’s hand for the short five minute walk. He couldn’t believe Charlie was doing this. Of course he remembered. It was the day she’d broken up with him after the cop interview. They’d always met at that little car park, her in her squad car, him in his truck.

‘Look ribbon!’ Aria gleamed and pointed excitedly as they reached the car park. She ran up and tried to get the cream card from the sleek car window but it was too high. Wondering why Charlie would put it on some stranger’s Toyota Hilux, Brax picked it up.

Like your birthday present? Fits both a surfboard and a child. Now all you need is a key. It’s in the pouch labelled one.

Brax had a black ute and while it was great to hold a surfboard, the lack of backseat meant Aria couldn’t ride in it. Happily he tried to guess what the pouch was and then looked at the bag on his daughter. ‘Alright. Aria, let’s take a look in the bag, shall we?’

Aria happily took the bag off and unzipped it with her dad’s help. She was loving the little scavenger hunt and carrying the bag made her feel like Dora. ‘What in bag?’

‘I don’t know. Let’s find out.’ Brax peeked inside to find a variety of drawstring pouches. ‘Ari, can you help daddy find one?’

Aria busily searched with Brax and then she shouted holding something up. ‘Here! One!’

‘That’s right.’ Brax smiled and took it. Peering inside, there was a car key. Curiously he pressed the button and the headlights turned on, making him grin. Excitedly, he got in the front seat and checked out the gadgets of the second hand grey vehicle. ‘Daddy’s got a new car!’

‘Yay daddy!’ Aria congratulated him as she was lifted onto his lap. ‘Look another one!’

Brax noticed the little cream card on the passenger seat and read it out loud.

There’s water, there’s grass, a playground and trees. Where am I?

‘Ari, I’m stuck. Do you know a place like that?’ Brax asked the little girl on his lap after some pretend pondering.

‘The park daddy!’ Aria rolled her eyes. ‘Duh!’

‘You’re right! Silly me.’ Brax looked around the back seat and smiled. ‘Looks like mummy got you a little present too.’

Aria looked back and gasped at the leopard print car seat with pink buckles. ‘Wow!’

After strapping in and a lot of gaping, Brax took his new car for its first trip to the park. He couldn’t help smiling along the way. Charlie had really gone all out. Work was stopping the couple from spending the day together, but a father daughter date was just as perfect, if not better.

Birthday chapter was a little long so I split it up... :) Thirty two cont...

CONTINUED…

An hour at the playground and another clue. This time it was tied to a tree branch by the swing set.

An old boyfriend yet a current friend, an old business partner yet a current business. I wonder what it could be.

Aria held her dad’s hand and stared up at him doe-eyed wondering where they were going next. She’d had the best time at the playground; an entire day with daddy was a dream come true. ‘Where next?’

Brax smiled at her and they started walking back to his new car. ‘I’m thinking Angelo’s. Are you having fun?’

‘Yeah. We on a aventure!’ Aria grinned and Brax laughed.

Entering the restaurant he’d put so much sweat and effort into, he immediately noticed the little red ribbon around a bottle at the bar. He picked up Aria and walked over to it. ‘Come on kiddo, let’s check it out.’

The card which was tied to a bottle of champagne read: Celebratory champagne with friends? You’ll find them among the mobile homes.

‘Daddy another one!’ Aria pointed to a pale pink card with a white ribbon tied on it. It sat on a bottle of Milo.

‘I think this one’s for you.’ Brax untied it and handed it to her.

Aria looked at the place card in her hand and bit her lip before looking back up at Brax and back to the card again. ‘I no read.’

‘Right.’ Brax took it back and read it out loud for her. ‘Get ready for night of magic gorgeous, you’re heading for a sleepover. She’s blonde, she’s corchus and she’s your cousin’s mum! Who is it?’

‘I no-no!’ Aria shrugged with concern.

‘Well, maybe if you think really hard about it it’ll come to you.’ Brax helped her out. ‘Why don’t we break it down eh? Who’s your cousin?’

‘Val!’ Aria answered.

‘And who’s Val’s mummy?’ A voice behind them chirped. Brax and Aria turned around.

‘Bee-Bee!’ Aria grinned in delight to see Bianca leaning against the bar. She moved around so she was behind the counter, taking the little girl from his arms.

‘Hey gorgeous. You ready to sleepover with me and Valen tonight?’ Bianca kissed her cheek and grabbed the bottle of chocolaty Milo.

‘Am I ever!’ Aria gleamed.

Bianca laughed. ‘Happy birthday Braxton. Enjoying your morning?’

‘Am I ever!’ Brax copied his daughter’s phrase. ‘Nah, it’s great. I can’t believe Charlie did this eh.’

‘She spoils you.’ Bianca joked and turned to head out. ‘Don’t forget the champagne when you go. I’ll see you tomorrow.’

Brax was all smiles the rest of the afternoon. Drinks at the caravan park with Liam, Heath and Elijah followed by an easy shift at the restaurant, he couldn’t wait to get home and see Charlie at sunset. She’d been busy at the resort all day and he couldn’t wait to thank her. Of course, when he got home, there was a ribbon and card tied to the front door handle.

Our secret rendezvous with the yellow door. I always loved that place, didn’t you? Your real present awaits you there.

Brax got back into his new car and drove to the motel. The game wasn’t over yet. He’d thought the car was his real present but apparently not. There was more in store.

Arriving at the motel brought back a lot of memories. Room 27 with its yellow door, there had been some great times in that room.

‘Alright, let’s see what’s in here.’ Putting his hands on the unlocked door, he pushed it open and couldn’t help but grin.

Brax closed the door behind him and slowly walked over to her. She looked so beautiful just lying there in that all too familiar motel bed. Charlie wore nothing but a red silk scarf tied around her chest in a pretty bow.

‘Well?’ Charlie smiled as she sat leaning back on her elbows, legs elongated in front of her. She looked up and back at him, her hair cascading down behind her. ‘Aren’t you going to unwrap your present?’

Speechless, Darryl Braxton nodded and took the end of the red scarf, unravelling the bow to reveal his beautiful wife.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been trying to get my work done and out of the way, still got a bit to go.

THIRTY THREE

‘Aria had so much fun with Brax I could barely get her to sleep. She was so hyper.’ Bianca laughed as she stood by the backdoor sipping her coffee.

‘I hope she wasn’t too much trouble for you.’ Charlie entered the beach house.

‘No, not at all. She was very talkative though. Kept going on and on about how she went on a big adventure.’

‘I’m glad she had fun.’

‘So?’ Bianca looked at her knowingly.

‘So what?’ Charlie asked.

‘So…how was it?’ Bianca elaborated curiously with a glint in her eye.

‘It was...amazing.’ Charlie turned around as she walked in to the living area. ‘Being in that motel, it was like we were back there, when we first met. Sneaking around and stuff. I made dinner, we talked, we kissed, and it was perfect.’

‘So he had a great birthday. That’s great.’ Bianca smiled as she moved away from the island.

‘Yeah, where’s Aria? I missed her.’ Charlie looked around the empty room. There was a giggle emanating from behind the couch arm. The two women smiled at each other.

‘I don’t know. She had her breakfast a little while ago and I haven’t seen her since.’ Bianca chirped loudly so the little girl could hear, playing along with the charade. ‘Where could Aria be?’

‘Maybe we can look for her.’ Charlie moved slowly as if pretending to look for her daughter and opened the end table cupboards. ‘Nope, not in there. Bee, can you see my daughter?’

‘Not yet. Let me check the kitchen.’ Bianca heard a giggle as Aria tried to stay as quiet as she could. ‘Nope, not in there.’

‘I hope she’s alright.’ Charlie feigned worry as she began moving towards the couch, still playing along and started looking behind the cushions. ‘I hope the tickle monster hasn’t gotten her.’

Aria gasped as quietly as she could at the mention of the tickle monster. She sat crouched behind the arm of the couch with a blanket covering her. Something grabbed her from behind and lifted her up and she screamed in a fit of giggles. The young girl got thrown onto the couch and tickled relentlessly.

‘Got you.’ Charlie laughed. ‘The tickle monster’s got you.’

Aria giggled uncontrollably trying to squirm away. ‘Mummy, stop!’

‘Did you miss me?’ Charlie sat on the couch and carried her daughter onto her lap. Aria smiled up at her in her pink Dora pyjamas and nodded.

‘Mummy, I went aventure!’ Aria announced regarding her scavenger hunt with Brax the previous day. ‘So fun!’

‘I heard.’ Charlie hugged her. ‘Daddy told me all about it.’

Gigi came running and started yapping at Charlie’s leg. The puppy had missed her too. ‘Did you and Gigi have fun on your sleep over too?’

‘Aha!’ Aria nodded. Bianca had picked up the dog on the way home from Angelo’s as well to take care of her while the couple were at the motel.

‘We all had a great time, didn’t we Ari?’ Bianca walked over to them with her mug.

‘Gate time!’ Aria agreed yet again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Mr Braxton, is there any staff present at the moment?’ Charlie walked in swiftly into the restaurant , standing beside the centre table.

Brax turned around with a cloth in his hand. ‘Not at the moment, no.’

‘Good.’ Charlie smiled triumphantly and stepped closer to her husband with one hand on the table and the other by her side. She looked up at him expectantly with a smile in her eye.

‘No.’ Brax shook his head when she leaned up on her tip toes to kiss him and she reluctantly placed her feet back on the ground. He gestured his head behind her. ‘Lock the door.’

Disappointed to wait, Charlie slowly stepped backwards until she reached the door and leaned over to turn the lock without once taking her eyes off Brax. Then she took a few slow steps forward.

Brax watched intently as Charlie took her phone, money and keys out of her pockets, placing them on the table beside her. Placing two fingers on the top button of her blouse, she popped it open. With both hands, deliberately and knowingly, the other buttons followed as she gently began walking towards him.

Brax gulped as Charlie dropped her blouse onto the floor and unzipped her trousers just as she reached him, she slipped off her trousers with the final step so she was only in her lingerie.

‘Aria?’ Brax asked as they gazed into each other’s eyes, their faces inches from each other as she looked up at him. He couldn’t help but gulp.

‘Play-date.’ Charlie replied with glistening eyes, not breaking eye contact. ‘Are you just going to stand there?’

‘No.’ Brax shook his head. They weren’t touching but they were standing close enough for him to smell the fresh mint in her breath and the tropical coconut of her conditioner. Carefully, he lightly grazed her smooth velvety cheek with the back of his fingers, barely touching her.

Charlie smiled up at him and leaned up again to kiss him. This time, he met her halfway, encasing her lips with his. Now gaining the courage, Brax lightly touched her waist with the back of his fingers and she grazed his back with the tips of hers. Their lips were the only parts truly touching, but their bodies were on fire.

Charlie reached her foot around Brax and pulled out a chair, manoeuvring it with her foot so it was right behind him. Breaking apart from the kiss, she lightly tapped his shoulders down so he sat on the chair and slowly took a step forward.

Brax touched her hips and stomach as he admired the beauty before him. Charlie softly caressed his cheeks with both hands as she sat on his lap and moved in to kiss him.

‘Damn it, why is this door locked?’ A grumble outside the door as the handle was attacked impatiently.

‘Heath…’ Charlie sighed quietly and buried her head in Brax’ neck as he held her. Brax held his wife and rolled his eyes in annoyance.

‘Brax, I know you’re in there! Open this door.’ Heath rapped on the door and rattled the handle again.

Brax sighed. ‘We’re closed!’

‘I work here!’ Heath argued. ‘Come on mate, just let me in.’

Charlie quietly got off the lap and moved to dress again. Brax looked at her apologetically and she just shrugged. the look of disappointment was unmistakable on his face as she buttoned up her blouse.

‘Next time.’ She mouthed before walking over to the door to unlock it.

‘Well, about time you…’ Heath stopped short inside the door and took a double take when he noticed Charlie. ‘Charlie, what’re you…Oh.’

‘Yeah, oh.’ Brax grumbled as he got up from his seat and pushed the chair back in.

‘Hey, you didn’t have to stop on my account.’ Heath put his hands up and smirked as he realised what his brother had been doing.

‘Too late for that.’ Charlie followed Brax to the bar, picking up her phone, money and keys from the table top on the way. She sat on the stool. ‘Drink please.’

‘Coming right up.’ Brax took a bottle of wine and poured her a glass, making sure to glare at his little brother in the process as Heath came to join them at the bar with a knowing grin on his face.

'Beer thanks sweetheart.' Heath sat next to a very annoyed Charlie and grinned at her.

• 4 weeks later...

I know, I know, it's been forever since I've updated last (almost amonth :o) so sorry about that, but I finally managed to find some time to whip something comprehensible up. This one's a little rushed, literally winged it, but things have slowed a little so I'll probably have some more writing time now. Thanks for being so patient.

THIRTY FOUR

Bianca sat on the chair and giggled. ‘It’s that time of year again.’

‘And what time is that?’ Charlie glanced back at her friend as they ran along the beach almost side by side, Charlie only slightly ahead of her friend.

‘It’s time to get out the birthday candles and the valentine’s cards.’ Bianca huffed and picked up the speed strenuously trying to keep up. ‘You know sometimes it’s a little difficult…’

The girls kept running, Charlie unperturbed by their pace, hardly noticing that the blonde behind her was indescribably out of breath. ‘What were you saying?’ She asked, eyes straight ahead of her.

‘I was saying…’ Bianca paused for breath as she ran frantically, with a distinct feeling that she wasn’t moving no matter how fast she pumped her legs. ‘That it’s a little…difficult to…Can we stop?’

Charlie turned around idly without pause, running backwards. ‘What?’

‘Can we…stop?’ Bianca huffed and puffed as she stopped moving and placed her hands on her knees trying desperately to regain her composure. ‘God Charlie, how are you so calm?’

‘I do this every morning. I’m used to it.’ Charlie, who was now standing still beside her friend laughed. ‘How can you be tired already? We’ve only been running for an hour.’

‘An hour too long if you ask me.’ Bianca scrubbed the sweat off her crimson red face and pushed her greasy flyaway hairs behind her ears. With a sigh, she felt her jelly legs give in beneath her as she practically plopped onto the warm morning sand. ‘You’re really not tired at all?’

‘Don’t worry. A few more morning runs with me and you’ll toughen up.’ Charlie sat down as well.

‘I don’t think I can handle a few more.’ Bianca groaned in between pants and slowly tried to focus on levelling her breathing again. Once she was somewhat composed, she turned to her friend. ‘Anyway, like I was saying, it’s a little difficult to celebrate both Valen’s birthday and Valentine’s Day at once.’

‘Yeah, it’s both on the same day isn’t it?’ Charlie smiled as they sat and watched the morning sun rise from the horizon, the sky lighting up in an array of warm tones. ‘And it’s the anniversary of your engagement on top of that.’

‘Don’t remind me.’ Bianca winced as she stretched her sore over worked legs in front of her. They would be uncharacteristically sore come dawn the next morning. She wondered how she’d get out of bed. ‘You Charlie Buckton are super human if you aren’t feeling what I am right now.’

‘And what exactly is that?’ Charlie shook her head. ‘Come on, let’s go.’

‘What?’ Bianca squealed as her friend enthusiastically got on her knees and patted her on the back coaxingly. ‘I can’t even feel my legs. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to walk again. Maybe you could go home and grab a wheelchair or something and come back for me?’

‘Fat chance missy.’ Charlie stood up and nudged her head. ‘Come on. Up you get. The sooner you get home, the sooner you can rest those grandma legs of yours.’

‘If I must,’ Bianca took a deep breath and stood up with enormous effort only to feel her legs wobble under her. Charlie put a hand on her arm to steady her balance.

‘There, just take it easy. Only a short walk.’ Charlie sympathetically grabbed her friend’s elbow in her arm and they walked in arms along the beach while the sun came up bringing forth the new day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

With a huff and a puff and even a seriously disgruntled cough, Aria stared at her uncle daring him to give in.

‘Aria,’ Heath glared at her warningly as they faced off in the living room.

‘Eath!’ Aria retaliated smugly.

‘Aria!’ Heath sighed exasperatedly and put his hands on his hips in frustration.

‘Eath!’ Aria stood up from the couch and assumed the position he was in, hands on hips, head stuck out and eyes open wide.

Rolling his eyes, Heath went to the television set playing Dora and turned it off at the button.

‘Eath!’ Aria squealed even louder, fresh tears forming over her dried up ones. The two had been at it for twenty minutes for the stubborn little girl still didn’t want to relent bathing without her all beloved father present.

‘Come on honey, please!’ Heath resorted to begging. If it were up to him, he wouldn’t have wasted so much energy on this futile argument but he knew that if the little girl didn’t have her bath, there would be hell to pay with one Charlie Buckton, who packed a hell of a lot more punch than his niece. He’d been instilled with the responsibility of a stubborn toddler by his brother and he intended to stick to his perfectly toned guns.

Aria simply walked up to the television and pressed a button again but it didn’t turn on. She’d pressed the wrong button. She looked up at her uncle with wide innocent puppy dog eyes and bit her lip anxiously. ‘Please Eath?’

‘Don’t give me those eyes! I don’t like those eyes’ Heath groaned and tried to look away before the spell was cast. Luckily, the door opened.

‘Apil!’ Aria grinned and ran over to the door to hug the new comer.

‘Hey you! You’re not giving Heath a hard time while the ‘rents are out, are you?’ April bent and pinched the young one’s cheeks.

Heath walked over as she shook her little head. ‘Define hard. What’re you doing here?’

‘I bear gifts.’ April stood up chirpily and walked over to place the box she had been carrying on the dining table. ‘I was baking some practice batches for Valen’s birthday and I went a little over board so I thought I’d bring some over for Aria.’

‘You make cake for baby Buckton and not me?’ Heath frowned as he eagerly peered into the box.

April slammed the lid down over his sticky fingers and he pulled them away. ‘Not for you. For Aria.’

‘Aria hasn’t had her bath yet so I guess it’s more for me.’ Heath grinned and stuck his hand out to the box again only to have April catch his hand and hold it in place away from the goodies.

‘Not for you.’ April playfully slapped his hand away and looked down at Aria. ‘What’s this about you not taking a bath?’

‘I no stinky!’ Aria replied and went on her tip toes in order to try and reach the box of fresh homemade cake.

‘Not for you either missy.’ April gently placed the box out of her reach. ‘At least not until you have a bath. You have to smell like Johnson’s and Johnson’s before you get your hands on my cake.’

‘Huh?’ Aria looked confused.

April shook her head. ‘No bath, no cake.’

Aria looked back and forth for a while pondering. She stood straight and declared. ‘Eath, I need bath!’

Heath smiled at April and mouthed. ‘Thanks.’

And so the bed time routine finally began.

Thanks everyone for the feedback

THIRTY FIVE

‘Aren’t you excited for Valentine’s day?’ Bianca gleamed with pride as she sat in the hair stylist’s chair with the drier hood around her scalp. A magazine lay on her lap.

‘Brax and I don’t really do Valentine’s.’ Charlie replied from the seat beside her, hair already primped and styled.

Bianca nearly leapt out of her chair, her eyes popping out of her face. ‘You don’t do Valentine’s? How can that be? Valentine’s is like…’

‘A hallmark holiday,’ Charlie interjected. ‘At least that’s what Brax says.’

‘You’re telling me you two have never ever in the history of your relationship celebrated Valentine’s Day?’ Bianca looked terrified and shuddered. ‘But that’s… I don’t even want to think about it.’

‘You make it sound like it’s a federal crime. Plenty of people don’t celebrate.’ Charlie laughed as she flicked her magazine.

‘Yeah, lonely single people with no one to spend their time with. You’re not lonely and you’re not single.’ Bianca shook her head. ‘But he proposed to you on Valentine’s day. Didn’t he?’

‘That had nothing to do with the holiday, just our love.’ Charlie smiled. ‘Look Bee, it’s not a big deal. Brax and I get plenty of romance, we don’t need to set aside a special day for it.’

‘Do you honestly believe that? You wouldn’t want a special day just for you two?’

‘Well of course that would be nice…but…’ Charlie was starting to sound uncomfortable with all the questions. ‘Look, like I said, it’s not a big deal. I’m perfectly alright with it.’

‘If you say so,’ Bianca looked unconvinced.

‘I do,’ Charlie smiled confidently. ‘Now how much longer is that hair of yours going to take? Any longer in that hood and it might burn,’

-------------------------------------------------------

Little Valen woke up with yawn and suddenly sat straight up with glee as he realised what day it was. Turning to face the girl next to him, he nudged her excitedly. ‘Up.’

Aria fluttered her eyes open reluctantly. A couple of blinks to adjust to the light and she bounced up onto her knees hugging her cousin tightly. ‘Morning,’

The kids ran into the next room happily and bounced on the poor unsuspecting sleeper in the bed. ‘Come Eath!’

‘No, too early,’ Heath groaned into the pillow and placed a pillow over his head. The kids continued to bounce up and down. He reluctantly grabbed Aria off his back and put her away.

‘Bu Daddy?’ Valen pouted with a glint in his eye and tried to shake his strong muscular biceps before he could resume sleeping.

‘Go play mate. Quietly,’ Heath grumbled and squinted. He looked at the clock with its little hand on the eight and big hand on the twelve. What was it with kids and their inane need to wake up so unnaturally early?

‘With you daddy,’ Valen persisted and poked his arm.

‘Okay, we can play daddy’s going to sleep.’ Heath yawned and settled in again with is eyes closed. ‘You play by getting off daddy’s bed so he can sleep.’

‘But daddy not here,’ Aria looked confused thinking about her own father and patted her uncle’s back. ‘Daddy’s bed at home,’

‘I meant my bed,’ Heath groaned. The doorbell rang. ‘Oh come on.’

‘Doorbell Eath,’ Aria stated the obvious. ‘You better get it.’

‘They should know better than to come this time.’ Heath complained. The insistent ringing still persisted throughout the tiny two bedroom apartment. Annoyed, Heath flicked the sheets off him and went to the door in his shorts, the kids following him eagerly.

‘What’d you want?’ Heath opened the door with sleepy eyes.

‘Nice to see you too,’ Bianca looked bemused dressed in her work clothes. ‘Did I wake you?’

‘Those two early risers behind me did the job just fine long before you came along.’ Heath whined. This was the last time he’d agree to let both his son and niece sleep over at the same time. Three was definitely a crowd. ‘You know what time it is?’

‘Yeah, time for the rest of the world to head to work,’ Bianca held onto the purse strap over her shoulder. ‘I told you I’d come early to pick the kids up and take them to day care because you had to open up the restaurant, remember?’

‘Oh crap!’ Heath widened his eyes. That woke him up. Looking back at the wall clock behind him, he saw it was eight o five. Angelo’s was supposed to open for breakfast in twenty five minutes.

‘Ha, you say bad word,’ Aria giggled.

‘Yeah,’ Valen agreed.

‘I’ll get them ready and take them. You get yourself ready.’ Bianca rolled her eyes at the man’s disorganisation when she noticed the kids were still in pyjamas and let herself in. Heath hurried off into the bedroom.

‘Mama,’ Valen lifted his arms to gesture that she should pick him up and she did. While Aria followed them to the spare room, Bianca took out her phone and dialled the number.

It went to voicemail. ‘Hey, this is Bianca. We need to talk ASAP. Call me.’

Hey guys, this is the last chapter. Thank you so much for reading this and commenting.

THIRTY SIX

‘Hey there gorgeous,’ Bianca dreamily sang on the phone as she rolled over in her bed.

‘Hey, I guess?’ The confused voice on the other line was a lot rougher and manly than Charlie’s.

‘Oh my god,’ Bianca’s smile dropped instantly as she sat upright, her face turning crimson at the reply. ‘Hi Brax,’

Liam furrowed his eyes against the light and looked up at her from his lying position. ‘Babe, why are you going around calling Brax gorgeous this time of night?’

‘Who else would I be?’ Brax had a hint of a smile on his face at his friend’s embarrassment as he spoke into the phone from a few blocks away.

‘I thought you were Charlie.’ Bianca looked over at Liam lying on the bed next to her looking at her and stroked his face good naturedly. ‘Why are you on Charlie’s phone?’

‘She asked me to call you to see what Valen wanted for his birthday.’ Brax leaned against his dresser. ‘We were bad and forgot all about a present.’

‘Some uncle you are.’ Bianca rolled her eyes affectionately. ‘Well, he’s into bug phase. Just don’t get him a pet tarantula like he’s been begging me for. Unless you want to give me a heart attack that is,’

‘Why? Tarantula’s are awesome.’ Brax asked as Charlie walked into their bedroom.

‘Well, you’re not getting one, that’s for sure.’ Charlie playfully smiled as she took her phone back off Brax and sat on the bed. ‘Doesn’t matter how old they are, boys are all the same.’

‘Tell me about it.’ Bianca laughed. ‘I was just telling Brax about my son’s latest obsession. Anything insect related is fine.’

‘Thanks. It’s late. I’ll see you tomorrow?’ Charlie yawned in her white slip.

‘Yeah, Happy Valentine’s day for tomorrow.’ Bianca lay back in Liam’s arms as he kissed her forehead.

‘You too. Bye.’

When Bianca let the phone go, Liam held her tighter. ‘I love you, you know that?’

They shared a deep kiss. ‘I love you too, babe.’

----------------------

Brax walked into the bathroom groggy from sleep. ‘Morning,’

‘Morning,’ Charlie resumed her tooth brushing while her husband moved next to her to do the same thing. She spat out the foam. What are you up to today before going to Bianca’s?’

‘Just to the pet store to get Valen a tarantula, that’s all.’ Brax continued to brush his teeth.

‘What?’ Charlie glared at him.

‘I’m kidding.’ Brax laughed. ‘I’ll go to the toy store after my shower. I was thinking of those fake spiders, you know the ones that look real but really aren’t. I used to scare my mum with one of those all the time when I was a kid.’

‘Brax,’ Charlie shook her head disapprovingly. ‘You promised not to give Bianca a heart attack. Not to mention Valen’s two, those things are way too small for him. He could swallow it.’

‘I know, I’m still joking. Relax, I’ll find something.’

‘Do it soon. The birthday party’s at two,’ Charlie rinsed off and started brushing her hair while walking about. ‘Can you drop up Aria on the way to sorting things out? I told Bianca I’d send her there to spend some extra time with the birthday boy.’

‘Yeah sure,’ the bathroom door opened and in stepped the person in question. Brax rinsed his mouth and placed the brush back. ‘Speak of the devil. Morning,’

‘Morning corchus,’ Aria giggled as she skipped into the room and hugged both her parent’s legs. If you didn’t count her own birthday, Christmas, Easter and every day the ice cream man came to their street, Valentine’s was her favourite day of the year and she wanted to spread as much love as she could. ‘Happy Valen’s day,’

‘Its Valentine’s day honey,’ Charlie corrected her.

‘Uh-huh, that what I said silly billy,’ Aria peered up at her with her Gigi squirming in her arms. ‘It Valen day today,’

Brax sighed as he splashed water on his face, momentarily pausing to look in the mirror before resuming. ‘You’re going to be one of those romantic girls aren’t you? That think every thing’s cute and dreamy.’

‘I think she already is.’ Aria had by now put down Gigi and was brushing Charlie’s hair while she crouched on the edge of the bathtub.

Brax shook his head as he reached for the towel to dry himself. In his heart, he knew Aria Braxton was going to be a heart breaker and it was enough to give any father a heart attack.

‘Daddy?’ Aria asked in the silence as she stroked her mum’s hair. ‘When’s Aria day?’

‘Excuse me?’ The adults laughed.

‘You know, Aria day.’ Aria asked innocently. ‘Valen has Valen day, when’s Aria day?’

‘Oh honey, every day’s Aria day,’ Charlie reached behind and carried the little girl to sit on her lap. Kissing Aria’s hair, she hugged her tight.

Brax looked at both his girls sitting in each other’s arms on the edge of the bathtub and smiled quietly to himself.

‘What’re you smiling at?’ Charlie spoke into Aria’s hair. The puppy circled around on his wheels.

Putting both hands on either side of the bathtub so Charlie was between, he leaned over and kissed her lightly. ‘Happy Valentine’s day.’

‘I thought you weren’t a fan.’ Charlie smiled.

‘No, but I’m a fan of you.’ Brax smiled right back. ‘I love both of my girls.’

‘Only both of them?’ A voice at the bathroom door forced Brax to stand back again as Ruby leant against the door with a smile. ‘The front door wasn’t locked. I let myself in.’

‘Of course not. All three of you.’ Brax held one arm out and Ruby nestled herself into it.

‘I should hope so mister,’ Aria declared, trapped between her mum behind her and her dad in front. ‘Cause I love you too.’

Charlie and Brax laughed. Charlie shook her head at their daughter’s antics. ‘I second that.’

‘I love all of you.’ Ruby smiled.

The puppy barked excitedly, feeling a little left out. Aria looked down at her legs and smiled. ‘We love Gigi too right mummy?’

‘Yes, Gigi too.’ Charlie couldn’t help but gleam. This was how life was meant to be. She looked around the bathroom at her family who were all unique and beautiful and she just knew it was perfect.

The end....

Comments

Archived