Conjugal Charms

Guest mizziette

TWENTY ONE |The Edited Version|

‘She’s been sleeping with us the last few nights. It’s not healthy, I know, but I don’t know what to do.’ Charlie sat on the floor in the granny flat searching through the storage boxes.

‘When April was little our grandma used to do a special dance to keep the monsters away. She did it every night.’ Bianca offered as she flicked through some old yearbooks of Charlie’s.

Charlie looked at her. ‘I don’t think that’s for me.’

‘Well, I’m sure she’ll grow out of it. They all do at some point.’

Charlie rummaged through a box of her dad’s police memorabilia and chucked the box aside to get another one. ‘I hope so. I’m going to want Brax to myself at some point. I don’t mind sharing, but a girl needs her alone time with her husband once in a while. I’m lucky to get a couple hours alone these days.’

‘You sound a little jealous.’ Bianca smirked and flipped a page. ‘Just be grateful. In twelve years she might not want to talk to

either of you.’

‘In twelve years, she’ll be in high school.’ Charlie took a deep breath unnerved by the thought. She sifted through a box of Ruby’s old baby clothes and lifted a white and red dress. ‘This would be perfect for Aria.’

Bianca looked up to see her hold up a dress with the slogan “daddy’s little princess.” ‘You’re right. Little miss diva will love that.’

Charlie put it aside for later and moved over to cut the tape open on another box. ‘Oh, this is the one.’ She took out a cook book.

‘What is that?’

‘My mum’s cookbook, she had it ever since I could remember.’ Charlie blew the dust off the fragile breaking book carefully and opened it with care. ‘She used to always say that she’d teach me how to cook from this but I never wanted to learn. I wish I’d taken her up on the offer now.’

Bianca smiled sentimentally. ‘My mum never cooked. We ordered in or ate out all the time.’

‘Who taught you how to cook?’ Charlie dreamily stroked the precious pages delicately.

‘Ahem…Vittorio’ Bianca scratched her cheek sheepishly and raised her eyebrows.

Charlie giggled as she turned the pages. ‘Forget I asked. Mum’s Christmas recipes should be in here somewhere. She made the best Christmas dinner.’

Bianca had by now returned to Charlie’s yearbooks and came across an interesting picture. ‘Hey, there’s that guy again. You two look cute together.’

Charlie looked up to where she was pointing and bit her lip. Not again. She had thought she’d burnt them all. This one was at school in their uniforms with his arms around her. She took the 1993 yearbook away from Bianca. ‘Looks can be deceiving.’

--------------------------------------------

‘Morny!’ Aria jumped up and up and up on her parents’ bed and jolted them awake. ‘Wakey!’

‘Ugh, no.’ Charlie groaned and stuffed her face in the pillow.

Equally annoyed at being woken up, Brax took the little girl and placed her back on the ground before settling back into his sleep.

‘No, wake.’ Aria was excited and she wanted them to share it with her. Climbing on the bed again, she crawled over Brax’ body and nested herself in between the sleepy couple. She took her dad’s left eye lid and lifted it up. ‘Wake.’

‘Yeah, yeah, I’m awake.’ Brax flicked the little hand away from his eye before it poked him.

‘Santa day!’ Aria grinned happily and lay down sideways. Brax opened his eyes to find her staring at him wide eyed. ‘It Santa day.’

‘Yes it is.’ Brax held her and looked past to see Charlie finally opening her eyes. ‘Morning.’

‘Morning.’ Charlie yawned and moved to tickle Aria from behind. ‘How’d you sleep?’

‘I hear him!’ Aria shouted and jumped on the bed again while still lying down.

‘Who?’’ Charlie frowned and hugged her while Brax hugged both of them at once.

‘Santa.’ Aria found herself sandwiched on either side by a hugging parent and couldn’t jump up and down anymore.

‘You heard Santa?’ Brax raised his eyebrows disbelievingly.

‘He ate milk.’ Aria nodded. They had all left Santa milk and cookies the night before.

Charlie smiled at Brax and corrected her. ‘He drank the milk, did he? Did he eat the cookies too?’

‘Ye!’ Brax kissed her on the cheek and Aria pushed his face away. ‘Daddy, you scwatchy.’

‘I’m not scratchy.’ Brax pretended to pout.

Charlie leaned over the girl and ruffled his cheeks. ‘You are scratchy. You need a shave.’

Aria turned to face her father again and looked him in the face earnestly, knowing he’d get it for her. ‘Daddy, I want puppy.’

‘We’ll see, eh.’ Brax ruffled her messy wavy bob.

‘Puppy want house.’ Aria continued determinedly. ‘Tinker-bell want house. And dwesses.

‘You want a puppy, a kennel and dollhouse for Christmas?’ Brax raised his eyebrows.

‘And dwesses.’ Aria nodded and smiled. She reached over and stroked Brax’ cheek and kissed him between his mouth and chin. Brax held her closer.

‘Anything else princess Aria or will that be all?’ Brax smiled at Charlie and stroked her waist.

‘No.’ Aria chimed into his neck. ‘For now.'

'For now?'

‘Ye.’ Abruptly, she sat up and chirpily kissed him on the nose before beginning to get off the bed. ‘Buh-Bye’

‘Hey, don’t I get a kiss?’ Charlie complained and held out her arms.

Aria turned back and paused for a second or two. Then she jumped into her mum’s arms, kissing her on the eye before going out of the room. Once she was gone, Brax pulled his wife onto his chest. ‘Looks like Santa came to see us last night. Too bad I was asleep.’

‘More like Santa’s little helper.’ Charlie laughed. ‘I got hungry last night and ate all the cookies.’

Brax smirked. ‘So, you think she’ll make a fuss when she realises we got her a Barney and not a puppy?’

‘We could always say Barney’s a puppy.’ Charlie smiled into his chest and kissed the tattoo.

‘Somehow I don’t think that’ll work.’ Brax chuckled and played with her hair.

Brax grinned and then glanced intently down at her. ‘Do you ever think about another one? If you could i mean.'

‘Having another baby?’ Charlie looked up at him and rubbed his chest. ‘Brax, you have met our daughter right? As much as I love her, I don’t think I could handle another one of her. Even if i was able to.'

‘Neither do I.’ Brax laughed along. ‘Aria would hate it. Imagine the jealousy if miss centre of attention found a baby taking us away.'

‘Well, at least that's one thing we won't have to worry about.’ Charlie shook her head and pecked him on the lips. ‘Two's a crowd. And just so you know, Aria only cares that she's daddy's only girl.'

At that moment, the alarm clock shrieked as it hit the seven o’clock mark. Brax reached behind him to turn it off. ‘You set the alarm on a public holiday?’

Charlie sat up and hurdled over Brax’ body to get to the floor. ‘I have dinner party to prepare for. I don’t want to leave things til the last minute.’ She leaned over and kissed him quickly. ‘And we have to open the presents before Aria gets restless.’

Charlie stood straight again to head outside but found a large arm grabbing her and throwing her back on the bed. ‘Brax!’

'Aria's not my only girl, you know. I have another equally special one.' Brax rolled over and pulled her underneath him. He cheekily kissed her passionately. ‘Christmas can wait.’

Charlie was immersed in the kiss as she wrapped herself around him, enjoying the embrace. 'Yes, Christmas can wait.'

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TWENTY TWO

‘Are you sure you don’t want any help?’ Bianca sipped her wine as she leant against the kitchen counter.

Charlie hustled around the kitchen busily stirring and pouring. Her mother’s cook book was wide open next to Bianca for reference. ‘Nope, just need you to step away from the stove.’

Bianca stepped back and let her through. ‘Sorry.’

Aria ran into the kitchen excitedly and held up the Barney in one hand and Tinker-bell in the other. ‘Look Bee-Bee! It’s special.’

‘Wow, you got a lot of toys, don’t you?’ Bianca crouched to her eye level just as Valen came up behind her. ‘Are you sharing your toys with Valen?’

‘Val don’t want.’ Aria chirped and held her toys away from prying hands.

‘Yeah I do.’ Valen complained and tried to grab the Barney toy. Aria ran away back out of the kitchen followed by her cousin. ‘Ari wait!’

Bianca stood back up and shuddered as she sipped her drink. ‘I can’t believe you got her a Barney doll. You know how I feel about that guy. He creeps me out.’

‘Well, he doesn’t creep my daughter out.’ Charlie sighed and wiped the sweat off her brow before bending to check the turkey in the oven. It still wasn’t done so she moved on. ‘You don’t have to play with it if you don’t want to.’

‘Ha-ha,’ Bianca rolled her eyes drily. ‘As long as my kid doesn’t ask for the Barney and friends box set tomorrow after playing with that thing today, I’m good.’

‘I don’t know, he’ll be spending a lot of time with Barney. He is sleeping over here tonight.’ Charlie shrugged as she mixed the salad.

Bianca pursed her lips and changed the subject. ‘So how’s that going anyway? She over the bedtime blues yet?’

‘Some nights,’ Charlie took a sip of her wine as she walked over to the fridge. ‘Most of the time, it’s a battlefront. It takes forever to get her to bed. She’ll be alright tonight though. He cousins going to be here to keep her company.’

‘Glad I could help.’

You know, she wanted a puppy for Christmas?’ Charlie shook her head and sighed.

Bianca smiled. ‘Oh how cute, I love puppies.’

‘She told daddy dearest this morning.’ Charlie rolled her eyes at her. ‘Talk about short notice. And then threw a little tantrum when Santa got her Barney instead.’

‘Santa has terrible taste in toys. He should get fired.’ Bianca scoffed cheekily and Charlie took a grape from the fruit basket and threw it at her playfully before returning to the stove.

Charlie scolded teasingly. ‘Don’t be mean to Santa. He might put you on the naughty list.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie took the turkey platter to the dining table with a nervous smile on her face and placed it in the middle. The kids were both asleep in Aria’s room after an early dinner so it was time for the verdict.

‘About time, how long does it take to cook?’ Heath rubbed his stomach hungrily and sat down and reached over to the turkey. Charlie smacked his hand away and he pouted. ‘Oi, I’m hungry.’

‘Wait til everyone’s seated.’ Charlie scolded. Once every one had taken their seats, Charlie sat at the kitchen end while Brax took the other end. In between sat, Bianca, Cheryl, Heath, Liam, Irene, Ruby, April and Drew. As Brax carved the turkey and the guests filled their plates, the hostess waited patiently, each second feeling like a lifetime.

Charlie took a deep breath as she watched each person take a bite, their knives scraping on the plates, forks gliding up to their wide lips which would swallow a tiny piece of her hard work, their necks gulping as the food slipped down their throats. Every bite was a judgement of her handiwork and she waited nervously for a review. But there was not a single sound but the harmony of the cutlery clinking against each other.

‘Would someone say something already? You’re driving me crazy.’ Charlie blurted unable to hold her nerves. ‘Is it good, bad, awful? Oh god, it really is terrible isn’t it? I’m ruined Christmas!’

‘No, you haven’t. You did a great job.’ Brax smiled as he took another bite. And he meant it. Charlie’s efforts at her lessons had paid off. She could cook.

‘Yeah love, it’s amazing.’ Irene agreed. Bianca and Liam also gave their winning opinions.

Charlie took a deep breath. She could finally relax. Blinking deeply, she took her knife and fork to begin her dinner relaxed. ‘You guys really like my cooking?’

‘That’s what we said, isn’t it?’ Heath chewed with his mouth open and reached over for some garlic bread and took a huge bite. ‘I swear it’s a Christmas miracle eh. Thought you’d tank.’

‘Heath, how many times do I have to tell you not to speak when you’re eating?’ Cheryl frowned at her son. ‘Show some manners.’

‘Sorry mum.’ Heath closed his mouth sheepishly.

‘The turkey’s done alright I guess.’ Cheryl nodded her head. ‘But the mashed potatoes…’

‘Were also great’ Brax interrupted and glared at her. ‘Isn’t that right mum?’

‘Well I don’t want to lie…’ Cheryl started.

‘So do you kids have any plans for the new year?’ Irene smiled and changed the subject.

Drew sipped the wine and placed a hand on top of April’s. ‘April and I are going to visit dad and Amanda in the city.’

‘Meeting the family, that’s serious.’ Ruby who sat on April’s other side nudged her knowingly as she ate.

‘It’s no big deal.’ April blushed with a smile. ‘I can’t wait to meet them. And the kids too’

‘Yeah, Ryan and Taylor can’t wait to meet her either.’ Drew boasted. He’d been back in town working at Angelo’s for a while and missed his family heaps.

‘The new baby must be huge by now. Taylor huh?’ Irene smiled dreamily as she remembered the young girl who’d been like a daughter to her.

‘Yeah, Amanda named her in honour of Belle.’ Drew explained.

‘That’s a lovely thought.’ Irene was feeling a little nostalgic and felt a lone tear slip down her face. The holidays always did that to her especially without the absentee members of her family. Immediately, she wiped it away and laughed. ‘Oh goodness look at me, I’m getting teary. Ruby love, what’re you doing this new year?’

Ruby laughed. ‘Well, we’re all going to the resort opening. Charlie worked very hard on it so…’

‘I’m very nervous. I just don’t want anything to go wrong.’ Charlie took another mouthful, feeling empowered by her success with every bite.

‘You’ll do great. I know it. You always do.’’ Brax assured her and she smiled at him lovingly from across the table.

‘Oi quit making eyes at each other. We’re eating here.’ Cheryl cut her food and rolled her eyes. It constantly amazed her how loved up her son was. Their relationship was alien to her.

‘I’m eating too and I don’t mind.’ Brax cheekily smirked at Charlie who bit her lip.

‘Neither do I.’ Charlie giggled.

‘But the daughter does.’ Ruby interjected and waved her arm. ‘And I think we all need to respect the daughter’s wishes.’

‘Well if the daughter says so…’ Charlie rolled her eyes lovingly and returned to her meal.

Charlie and Brax glanced back down at their dinners reluctantly with cheesy smiles on their faces and the group had a lovely dinner together. There was talking, there was laughing and there was wine; it was a great success. Every now and then Charlie sneaked a peek at Brax and they would share a smile as they made eye contact. After nearly four years together, the fire was still there, burning brighter than the candle on the dinner table in the midst of their friend’s laughter.

TWENTY THREE

‘You made it.’ Charlie walked up and hugged her friend with a clip board in her hand and an earpiece in her ear. She was dressed in black and cream office clothes as they stood in the lobby of the resort.

‘Sorry we’re a little late. We had a little potty accident on the way over.’ Bianca exclaimed as she looked around her. ‘This place is huge! I can’t believe you get to come here every day.’

‘Well it is work. I’m not a guest. Charlie smiled and bent down to Valen who was hiding behind his mum’s leg curiously. ‘Hey little man, how’s it going? Having a good new year?’

Valen just looked up at the large ceiling a little overwhelmed by the size of the place. ‘It’s really big, isn’t it buddy?’

‘Uh-huh!’ He nodded his head open mouthed and wide eyed.

‘Well, why don’t I show you to the ballroom, Liam’s about to start performing.’ Charlie led the way as they made their way through the large building.

‘I don’t think I’ve ever seen him perform in front of strangers before.’ Bianca was very proud. ‘It’ll be interesting.’

‘Well, we’re all very proud of him.’ Charlie assured her. ‘Ruby told me his new album’s recorded and finished. He’s going on tour?’

‘Yeah, he leaves in three months for six weeks.’ Bianca smiled. ‘it’s going to suck with him gone.’

‘Maybe you could go with him?’ Charlie suggested.

‘How was the rest of your week?’ Bianca asked as they walked and tried to push her son along who was glancing around him in awe.

‘It was fine.’ Charlie smiled as she opened the double doors to the large room. ‘Here we are.’

Bianca exclaimed as she entered and took in the high ceilings, the drapery on the walls and the semi-circular stage on the left wall. It was beautiful.

‘Wow.’ Valen looked even more awed and sunk deeper into his mother.

‘Wow is right.’ Bianca agreed.

‘Hey Charlie, Dennis wants to see you. There’s a security incident by the pool.’ Charlie looked behind her to see Indi similarly dressed. She was interning as the property developer’s assistant while completing school. ‘Concerning your mother-in-law...’

‘Yeah sure, I’ll be right there.’ Charlie smiled at her and she left.

‘Hey gorgeous, are you still working hard?’ Brax walked up to the girls and kissed his wife on the cheek as he took her in her arms.

‘Hey corchus,’ Aria copied her dad. Then she saw Valen and walked up to him, kissing him on the cheek. ‘Hey corchus’

‘No.’ Valen shook his head and hid his face into Bianca’s leg. ‘Icky.’

‘Yes.’ Aria persisted, enjoying the fact that it was peeving her cousin and tried to kiss him again. ‘Corchus, corchus, corchus.’

‘Nuh-ah!’ Valen pouted.

‘Aha!’ Aria chimed back.

‘Nuh-uh.’ Valen frowned and hugged his mum’s leg.

‘Alright, stop it you too.’ Bianca insisted. Brax pulled Aria back to him. Sneakily, the little girl turned around and stuck her tongue out at Valen just to annoy him more. Valen stuck his tongue right back.

‘Well, I have to go back to work.’ Charlie announced. ‘You guys have fun, okay?’

‘I think that’s a given.’ Bianca grinned. Charlie quickly pecked Brax on the cheek and went to solve the latest crisis.

------------------------------------------------------------

‘That place was amazing.’ Brax entered their dark house and turned on the table lamp with Aria asleep in his arms. It was late at night and they were all tired after all the food, wine, dancing, exploring and entertainment. The resort opening had been a blast.

‘Yeah,’ Charlie yawned as Brax walked to Aria’s room. He put the sleeping girl in bed and tucked her in before going back outside. ‘It’ll be full of all the tourists.’

‘Did you take a break today and enjoy the party?’ Brax followed her into the bathroom and where she was brushing her teeth.

‘Not really.’ Charlie spit in the sink as Brax took his toothbrush. ‘I had too much work to do. It’s hard coordinating that many people. You know, Colleen and your mother got into a fight by the pool.’

‘That’s what you were called out for?’ Brax laughed.

‘Over Keith, I’m guessing. Colleen called him an unsavoury man and Cheryl got peeved and told her to take it back. You know Colleen, she didn’t. Cheryl got so angry she pushed her into the water and Colleen dragged her in too and they were splashing each other like little children.’

‘I guess mum’s really into this Keith guy then, eh.’ Brax wiped his wet face with a towel and they went to their bedroom.

Charlie unzipped her pants and let it fall before moving on to her top. Grabbing her white silk slip, she slipped it over her head before sitting on the bed and watched her husband carefully. ‘Yeah, she’s so into him that they booked the resort wedding service.’

Brax tripped over his own feet while he was unbuttoning his shirt. ‘What?’

‘They’re in love.’ Charlie shrugged. ‘Keith’s going to be your new stepdad.’

‘Oh god,’ Brax sat down next to her in shock. He’d just thought this was a fling like all the other relationships his mum had been after her divorce. ‘Well, I guess we should congratulate them?’

‘You okay?’ Charlie rubbed his back as he sat their shirt unbuttoned halfway.

‘Whatever makes her happy, I guess.’ Brax smiled and kissed her shoulder and then her cheek, leaning his forehead on her face.

Charlie smiled and closed her eyes. ‘I’m glad you could be there today with me. It meant a lot.’

‘Seeing all your hard work rewarded was worth it.’ Brax kissed her on the temple. ‘Close your eyes. I got something for you.’

‘You do?’ Charlie closed her eyes. ‘You already got me a necklace.’

‘I got you something else. I was going to give this to you at Christmas but it got a little delayed.’ Brax took something out of the drawer and held it behind his back. Sitting back on the bed, he placed it on her lap. ‘Now open it.’

Charlie opened her eyes and looked at Brax in confusion. She held the doll in her hands. ‘You stole a doll from a little girl? I just saw this on Aria’s bed.’

‘No.’ Brax grinned. ‘I swapped it. I looked at the manufacturing tag on it and tracked down another doll just like it. I know how much she means to you. Now both my girls can be happy. You get your Princess Cutie Pie and Aria gets her a copycat Tinker-bell. She won’t know the difference.’

‘You have any idea how much I love you?’ Charlie kissed him on the lips. ‘You’re amazing, you know that?’

‘Yeah, I know.’ Brax grinned as he stood back up to change his clothes. ‘You might want to keep it somewhere Aria won’t see it.’

Wait.’ Charlie stood up and put the doll lovingly in the closet before walking over to him. She slid the shirt off his shoulders letting it land on the floor. ‘Let me.’ Holding both his cheeks softly, she kissed him lovingly.

Soon the kiss deepened and became more passionate. Brax took his wife by the waist and pushed the both of them on to the bed so he was on top of her. Slowly, his lips grazed every little crevice on face and neck, nibbling her ears, making her moan in pleasure.

‘Daddy?’ Brax jumped off onto the bed and straightened up immediately, facing the door where Aria Braxton stood unknowingly holding her “new” doll innocently. ‘You eat mummy?’

‘Umm…Well…We…’ Brax was lost for words.

Charlie shook her head at his discomfort. ‘Sweetie, why aren’t you in bed?’

‘Please don eat her.’ Aria ran up and hugged her mum sadly. To the little girl, that was the only explanation for her father’s actions and her mother’s moaning. Charlie quickly hugged her back and lifted her on the bed. ‘Don eat mummy.’

‘Honey, no. Daddy’s just…um…hugging me.’ Charlie sat up and held the poor girl. ‘It’s okay.’

‘I love you mummy.’ Aria whispered into her chest, a tear slipping down her cheek.

‘Oh I love you too.’ Charlie kissed her hair as she smiled at Brax with amusement. Kids could have such wild perceptions sometimes.

TWENTYY FOUR

‘Bee-Bee it oible.’ Aria sat on her lap with a distressed look on her face holding Tinker-bell in her arms. ‘It oible.’

‘It’s what?’ Bianca frowned and looked over at Charlie in confusion.

‘Ye, so oible.’ Aria nodded. ‘Oible.’

‘Oible?’

‘Horrible.’ Charlie clarified and Bianca nodded in realisation.

‘Oh sweetie, what’s so horrible?’ Bianca asked with concern.

‘He eat her.’ Aria pointed at her mother and sighed.

‘Who?’

‘Daddy.’ Aria bit her lip as Charlie took her into her arms and sat her on the floor.

‘Sweetie why don’t you go clean up your toys in your room?’ Charlie turned to a confused Bianca as she ran off. ‘Don’t ask. It’s a long complicated misunderstanding. I talked to her but she won’t stop repeating it.’

‘You know how kids love to repeat things.’ Bianca smiled, accepting that she didn’t want to go into it. ‘Mine’s gotten to love saying babe. He hears me and Liam use it all the time and picked it up.’

‘That’s cute.’ Charlie sighed. ‘I have to go shopping today.’

‘Fun!; Bianca glared at her. ‘Why aren’t I invited? I’m free all day.’

‘You want to go grocery shopping with me, be my guest.’ Charlie laughed. ‘You guys ate out half my kitchen supplies at Christmas. I need to refill it.’

‘Oh, it’s that kind of shopping.’ Bianca looked disappointed and made excuses. ‘Now that I think about it I think I have plans this afternoon.’

‘I thought you might.’ Charlie shook her head.

‘All clean.’ Aria ran back up to them feeling very proud of herself and jumped onto her mother’s lap.

‘You sure?’ Aria nodded even though it was only thirty seconds before she’d been asked to do it but Charlie decided to let it go for a little while.

Aria sat up on her knees and peered into Charlie’s ear as she held her. Grabbing it, she examined it with great care, checking for anything missing.

‘Aria, how many times do I have to tell you, daddy didn’t eat me.’ Charlie rolled her eyes and shook off the invading hands. ‘My ears are all there. Ten fingers ten toes. Nothing’s missing.’

‘Pomise?’ Aria asked.

‘I promise.’ Charlie promised, much to her friend’s amusement.

‘Now you have to tell me this story.’ Bianca shook her head, intrigued by this little misunderstanding they had going on.’

‘Well…’ Charlie took a deep breath and started. The girls chatted and gossiped for the rest of the morning. All the while, Aria took sneaking glances at her mother’s ear, double, triple, quadruple checking to make sure it was still there in one piece.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie took the trolley and pushed it along the department store aisles. They’d already been to the grocery store and just needed a few other things. ‘Alright, we won’t be long in here.’

Aria walked along with the crown she’d insisted on wearing, admiring her surroundings. They stopped near an old lady by stocking section where Charlie started surveying the options. She took the old lady’s long skirt and tugged it hard.

The old lady looked down. ‘What is it dear?’

‘Daddy eat her.’ Aria looked up at her with the saddest look on her face.

Charlie turned around at the sound and smiled apologetically to the old lady who was frowning in confusion and quickly put a stocking packet in the trolley. ‘Sorry. Come on, let’s see if we can find you some clean bed sheets. You can choose one.’

They went further down the aisle and Aria looked in awe at the abundance of things within her reach. She ran ahead and took a large plush cushion from the shelf in the home section. ‘I want.’

‘For what exactly?’ Charlie raised her eyebrows.

‘For…me!’ Aria pondered for a little while.

‘How about we put it on your birthday list?’ Charlie suggested, not wanting to get into a fight by saying outright no and put the cushion back on the shelf.

Aria ran up ahead again and took a lamp from the shelf but it was too heavy so she put it back and pointed to it instead. ‘I want.’

‘I’m already getting you a cushion for your birthday.’

‘Two-th buttday.’ Aria suggested.

‘You’re already two.’ Charlie told her.

‘Three-th buttday.’ Aria ran ahead and pointed to one of the department store display beds. ‘Fourth buttday.’

Charlie shook her head in amusement trying not to burst into laughter at her mispronunciations as she followed behind wondering where on earth the little girl had learnt how to count.

‘Five-th buttday.’ Aria took in a large pink surfboard. Like father like daughter.

‘We’ll see.’ Charlie glared at her lovingly. ‘Now mummy really needs to buy those bed sheets so we can go home. Stay close.’

Charlie walked over to the sheets section and examined the variety while Aria turned to look around her. The phone rang and Charlie reached into her jeans pocket to take it out, only to have all her loose change fall as well. She bent down exasperatedly to pick it all up, unaware that Aria was giving her the slip while she was distracted. When she stood back up ten seconds later, the girl was gone.

One minute later, one of the store clerks was patrolling the bed and bath section and let out a gasp. ‘My goodness! Little girl, get down from there!’

Aria sat on one of the display toilet seats innocently taking a leak. Her mother had told her to always go potty in the toilet seat, and she couldn’t understand why the blonde uniformed lady was so mortified.

The clerk carried the girl down from the podium and pulled her panties up. Looking around, there were no adults in the proximity. ‘Who’re you here with?’

‘Mummy.’ Aria whispered.

‘Do you know what happened to her?’

‘He eat her.’ Aria said solemnly with tears in her eyes. Looking around, she suddenly realised she was all alone.

‘Well, maybe I can call her on the speaker for you. What’s your mummy’s name?’ The lady asked, ignoring the last confusing comment.

‘Mummy.’ Aria glared at her like it was obvious. What else would her name be?

‘Well, what does your daddy call your mummy?’ The lady was annoyed by the unhelpful answers.

‘He say Mummy!’ Aria was getting impatient with repeating herself to the incompetent woman. ‘Geez Louise.’

‘Aria, thank god!’ Charlie came around the corner and ran up to the little girl, relieved to see she was alright. ‘You don’t leave mummy’s side again, okay? You scared me. It’s okay, don’t cry.’

‘You here.’ Aria hugged her back.

The shop attendant stood up with Charlie as the worried mother thanked her. ‘Thank you.’

As Charlie began to walk away, the lady pondered before calling out. ‘Excuse me, ma’am?’

‘What is it?’ Charlie turned around, completely unaware of what was about to happen next.

TWENTY FIVE

‘Looks like someone’s been redecorating.’ Bianca entered the Braxton house and frowned when she noticed the lounge room. ‘Honey, you do realise there’s a toilet in the middle of your lounge room, right?’

‘I thought it might spice up the living area.’ Charlie grabbed her keys as she glanced at her lounge. The toilet suite sat right next to the arm chair. ‘Aria took a tinkle in it at the department store; the shop lady gave me no choice but to buy it. It cost me $400, who knew kids could be so expensive?’

‘Ouch.’ Bianca walked over to the odd object and sat on the closed seat to check it out. ‘On the bright side, it looks pretty state of the art. Look at all these buttons. There’s even one that air dries you while you’re sitting down.’

‘I don’t even know where I’m going to put that thing.’ Charlie laughed. ‘I already have a perfectly good one in the bathroom, I don’t have room for two.’

‘Did you talk to her about it?’

‘Yes, of course. I think she’s too young to understand. She thought she was being a good girl not doing it in her pants.’ Charlie exclaimed. ‘It was kind of funny though. She was wearing a crown and sitting on the throne.’

‘Just like the little princess she is. Well, it can’t stay in here forever. You’ll never be able to have guests over.’ Bianca got off the seat with a laugh and grabbed her bag again. ‘At least, it’ll be an interesting conversation starter.’

‘I keep telling Brax to move it into the granny flat but he hasn’t. He thinks it’s funny.’ Charlie walked over to the door. ‘You ready to go?’

They stepped out of the house and began walking along the footpath. ‘Where’ Aria today?’

‘At the restaurant with Brax. I just finished work a half hour ago.’

‘Can he work with her there?’

‘He seems to be doing alright.’ Charlie shrugged. ‘She actually behaves around Brax. Daddy’s little girl.’

‘Oh, just wait.’ Bianca poked. ‘You’ll get all the attention soon.’

‘It has been getting better.’ Charlie admitted. ‘Ever since the eating debacle, she’s been more open to me. I think it’s the idea of losing me. God, we traumatised the poor child.’

‘Look on the bright side, she could have ran into the room five minutes later when you were- how do we say- more involved. Then you’d have to tell her about the birds and the bees.’

Charlie laughed nervously. ‘Thank god it hasn’t come to that yet.’

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruby sat on the couch with her legs strung over Xavier, kissing him passionately. His hands roamed her body from her waist to her thighs, slowly lifting up her skirt, completely unaware that there was a world outside their little cocoon.

‘Oh!’ the noise startled them and Ruby immediately straightened up and turned around to find her mother looking a little shocked. ‘I could come back another time?’

‘Uh-oh busted!’ Aria grinned.

‘No, don’t be silly.’ Ruby flushed pink and stood up to go to her. ‘Come in. Xave and I were just…’

‘I think I know.’ Charlie walked over to the couch. ‘Hello Xavier.’

‘Charlie.’ Xavier looked a little embarrassed and stood up. ‘Well, I guess I should get going or something. I don’t want to be late for work. Those cars can’t sell themselves.’

‘Bye.’ Ruby touched his hand as he left for the used car yard where he worked and the two women sat down on the couch.

‘Buh-Bye Xavy.’ Aria called back happily before turning to her sister. ‘Yuck. Ubes and Xavy kissy kissy.’

‘You think it’s yuck?’ Ruby grinned and tickled the young girl making her giggle and squirm. She bent down and planted deliberate kisses all over her cheeks and face. ‘You think it’s yuck?’

‘So when exactly did that happen?’ Charlie was confused as she carried her youngest away from her older sister’s meddling and put her on her lap.

‘I don’t know. It just did.’ Ruby had a big dopey smile on her face. ‘We just kind of clicked again.’

‘I can’t.’ The girls turned around to find VJ whining to Drew about something as they walked into the house arms around each other.

‘You can. Mate, it’s not rocket science, you like this Lily chic, ask her out.’ Drew chimed with a cheeky grin and entering the main area, noticed the guests. ‘Oh hey Charlie, Aria, what’s up little dude?’

‘Dew! Pick you up!’ Aria lifted her arms in the air and Drew carried her. ‘wasup lil dude?’

‘Nothing much kid. Nothing much.’ Drew replied. ‘I was just telling Veej here he’s an idiot not to go for it.’

‘Drew!’ VJ whined in his deep voice as he leaned against the dining table in his house. At fifteen, he already out grew his mum by an entire foot at six feet tall. ‘Hey Charlie.’

‘Hi VJ. I feel even shorter every time I see you.’ Charlie smiled. ‘You’re growing so fast.’

‘You gotta love puberty.’ Drew shook his head.

‘I don’t.’ VJ groaned. He hated feeling like a giant all the time. ‘I might go to my room. See ya.’

‘You know what mum, I’m starving.’ Ruby got up and started heading into the kitchen. ‘Do you want to eat?’

‘NO!’ Aria shouted in Drew’s arms and hid her face in his shoulder. ‘No eat her!’

‘Not again.’ Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘Aria how many times do I have to repeat myself, nobody wants to eat mummy. You need to stop telling everyone.’

‘Dew, it oible.’ Aria pouted.

Before a very confused Drew could answer, Ruby cut in. ‘Ari, Rubes just wants to get you and mummy some cupcakes, is that okay?’

Aria instantly smiled, distracted. ‘Cake?’

‘Leah made the most chocolaty chocolate cake ever! You want some?’ Drew agreed.

Aria just nodded at him with a big dopey grin on her face. Charlie stood up and took her out of Drew’s arms but she didn’t want to. ‘No stay Dew.’

‘Dew! Stay Dew.’ Aria whined. But then they entered the kitchen and she saw the chocolate cake and forgot all about it.

They sat outside on the veranda with their plates, Aria stuffing her face excitedly. ‘So what were you saying about you and Xave?’

‘Oh.’ Ruby instantly smiled again. ‘I believe I was saying how amazing it is. He has the most amazing smile and he just makes me feel so amazing. I don’t know… he’s just…’

‘Amazing?’ Charlie suggested.

‘Yeah, I’m just loving having him around again after so long. After Casey, I haven’t really dated; I mean I’ve gone on dates but…’ Ruby smiled. ‘I really think we have a future together.’

‘I’m happy for you. You deserve to have someone special in your life.’

‘Yeah, it’s a good feeling.’ Ruby sneezed and noticed her sister pretend to do the same. ‘Why does she always do that? She’s not going to turn out to be one of those annoying little sisters that always copies me is she?’

‘She wants to be just like her big sister.’ Charlie put on a smile. ‘Can you blame her?’

‘I guess not.’ Ruby contemplated and took a bite. Next to her, Aria stuffed her chocolate filled palm to her mouth as well, spreading it all over her mouth.

‘Well, I wish she’d copy your eating habits.’ Charlie shook her head. ‘I hate cleaning up after her when she eats. It’s so messy.’

‘No. I not messy.’ Aria shook her head.

‘Yes.’ Charlie disagreed and wiped her face with a tissue. ‘Don’t try to deny it. The evidence is all over your face.’

‘Mummy used to be a cop when you were a baby.’ Ruby added. ‘She should know.’

Aria looked at her mother in shock, thinking back to all the times she’d misbehaved in front of her. Quickly she wiped the evidence off her face. ‘Uh oh busted!'

TWENTY SIX

‘Did you hear the good news?’ Bianca ate her ice cream cone. ‘They eloped.’

‘Yeah, I heard.’ Charlie sat in the driver’s seat as they drove through the outer streets of Summer Bay. ‘The wedding of Cheryl Braxton and Keith Hamilton, sounds like the event of the year.’

‘They’re locked up at the resort as we speak. Heath’s been trying her phone but it’s disconnected.’ Bianca laughed. ‘At least they’re having fun.’

‘I guess.’ Charlie agreed and cringed. ‘I see Cheryl sneaking around the resort when I’m working and it’s so awkward. All she wants to talk about is how amazing her honeymoon is; the last thing I want to hear. It’s like I’m on it with them. I have to watch my back every time I leave my office hiding from my mother-in-law. It’s ridiculous.’

Bianca cringed. ‘Happy Cheryl is scarier than happy Barney sometimes I swear.’

‘But Barney’s always happy.’ Charlie frowned in confusion.

‘Well, Cheryl isn’t.’ Bianca defended herself. ‘She’s always cranky. That’s what makes her Cheryl. Anything else is just weird.’

‘Okay, I believe you. Do you know when she’s getting out of that resort? Because I’d like to be able go into work without hearing a horrifyingly detailed play-by-play of the Braxton- Hamilton honeymoon one of these days.’

‘I’m sure that’ll be a very welcome day for you. But like I said, no one’s heard from her since she god married.’ Bianca shrugged. ‘Except you apparently. You know more than the rest of us.’

‘Great.’ Charlie groaned.

‘Oh there goes my skirt.’ Bianca spilt some of her ice cream on to the hem of her skirt. Reaching down near her legs to find the tissue box she knew was hiding around on the car floor, she picked up something else instead. ‘Charlie, did you get a dog and not tell me?’

‘No.’ Charlie quickly glanced sideways to see her friend hold up a chew toy. ‘Aria wanted me to buy it for her. She’s convinced Brax will get her a puppy just because she told him she wants one.’

‘Spoilt!’ Bianca shook her head with a smile and got the tissue to wipe her skirt. ‘She really is a little princess, isn’t she?’

‘The reality is Brax probably will succumb. He always does.’ Charlie admitted. ‘I’d much rather wait until Aria’s old enough to look after the puppy herself. I don’t want an extra work load on my hands.’

‘Smart idea.’ Bianca smiled and suddenly bit her lip as she noticed something on the road in the distance. ‘Charlie, watch out!’

Charlie swerved the car abruptly to avoid the little puppy that was slowly crossing and parked on the side of the road, her heart pounding a million beats an hour. Looking in the rear view mirror, she sighed in relief when she noticed the puppy was still there in one piece, completely unperturbed.

‘Thank god!’ Bianca held her heart relieved and laughed nervously. ‘I thought we were going to hit it for sure.’

‘Aah!’ Charlie screamed and put her hands to her mouth in shock as she watched the car behind them zoom past through her rear view mirror. ‘Bee, he just…’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie was in the waiting room two and a half hours later, nervously pacing around. realising she was biting her nails, she put her hands down and glanced at the clock. Only thirty seconds had gone past since the last time she’d checked. Walking over to the reception desk, she placed her hands on the counter.

‘Do you know when the doctor’s going to be done?’ Charlie tapped the counter.

‘He’ll be done when he’ll be done.’ The receptionist rolled her eyes in annoyance. ‘You asking me every five minutes isn’t going to make things go any quicker.’

‘She’s right, Charlie.’ Bianca placed a hand on her shoulder and guided her to a seat. ‘Sit down.’

‘You’re right.’ Charlie sighed.

‘You don’t have to be here, you know. It’s not your puppy.’ Bianca had been around the neighbourhood asking if it belonged to anyone with no luck.

‘Exactly. The poor thing has no one. It’s a stray.’ Charlie moped. ‘I just don’t want her to be all alone when she’s hurting. That’s just sad. Everyone needs someone to care for them.’

‘Well, do you mind if I head off? I promised April and Drew dinner at Angelo’s tonight and I’m going to be late.’ Bianca asked.

‘No, go for it.’ Charlie smiled weakly and handed her the car keys. ‘Here, you can’t walk all the way there so take my car. I’ll call Brax to come pick me up when I’m ready.’

‘You sure?’ Charlie nodded. ‘Well bye. Call me when they’re out of surgery.’ Bianca kissed her on the cheek and went out of the vet clinic.

Charlie leaned her head back tiredly and looked at the clock again. What was taking the vet so long? Just as she closed her eyes, a little boy poked her in the arm ‘Is your puppy sick too?’

Charlie looked down at the kid next to her with a puppy in his lap. ‘Yes, she is. She was in a car accident and she’s really hurt.’

‘Uh oh, I’m sorry.’ The five year old pouted. ‘I’m Danny. And this is my puppy Cujo. He’s sick too.’ He pointed to the little golden doodle in his lap who was facing away shyly.

‘I’m sorry to hear that Danny. I’m Charlie.’ Charlie sympathised. ‘Cujo, that’s an interesting name for a puppy.’

‘My brother named him.’ Danny nodded eager for a conversation. The waiting room was boring him. ‘What’s your puppy’s name?’

‘I’m not sure. I just met her.’ Charlie admitted. ‘She’s a little baby one.’

‘Oh, I like big dogs.’ Danny smiled. ‘Really big ones, like giant humungous ones. When Cujo grows up my dad says he’s going to be huge! Almost as huge as Beethoven.’

‘I bet. He’s a pretty cute guy, this one.’ Charlie ruffled Cujo’s curly black fur and he turned to face her. She immediately let go in shock. ‘With very red eyes.’

Danny looked at his puppy with its black fur and red eyes staring up at Charlie. He bared his teeth glaringly obviously not liking the stranger touching him. ‘Yeah, isn’t it cool! I wish he could stay like this forever but dad says it’s bad for him so we had to come to the vet and make his eyes go back to brown again.’

‘Yeah cool.’ Charlie gulped and tried to ignore the monstrous looking thing without luck.

‘Charlie Buckton.’ The vet called out and Charlie stood up and walked up to him. ‘Charlie, I’m Dr Townsend, the head vet at this clinic. I’m afraid the puppy you brought in is in very serious condition. We had to amputate both the hind legs. They were completely crushed by the other car.’

‘Oh no.’ Charlie looked very upset and gulped. ‘She’s going to be okay, right?’

Dr Townsend paused before continuing hesitantly. ‘Given the extent of the injuries, and the fact the puppy has no one to claim her, it’s going to be very tough. I’ve checked for a tag but there doesn’t seem to be one. It looks like this one’s been on his own for some time. She’s only a month or so old. Most strays are sent to the pound after recovery if no one claims them.’

‘That’s awful.’ Charlie sighed.

‘Dogs need love and care in these types of situations. Especially amputees who need that extra bit of help.’ Dr Townsend told her.

‘I can take it home of course.’ Charlie was very worried about the puppy’s future and quick to offer. ‘My daughter’s been begging for a puppy so it’s kind of fitting.’

‘Was it your car?’ The doctor asked.

Charlie shook her head. ‘No, I managed to avoid it but the car behind me just ran straight over the poor thing. Didn’t even stop. I don’t understand how they could just keep driving. It was pretty obvious they’d hit something. There was blood...’ Charlie shuddered thinking about it.

‘I can never understand it either but some people are just like that.’

‘Can I see her?’ Charlie asked. ‘I mean, is that okay?’

‘Of course.’ Dr Townsend led the way through the hall into the examination room where the little puppy lay on the table unconscious. The black and white Pomeranian was only slightly bigger than her hand and had both his hind stubs bandaged up. It was a saddening sight.

‘It’s okay, little guy.’ Charlie whispered softly as she stroked the soft fur caringly and kissed her black ear. She hadn’t wanted a puppy this morning but seeing this poor creature defenceless had changed her mind. There wasn’t a reality where she could imagine walking away from this little one who needed love and care.

‘Hush.’ Charlie whispered again. ‘You’re okay now. I’ll take care of you.’

TWENTY SEVEN

‘Honey sometimes, mummies and daddies do these things. Out of love.’ Charlie put her daughter on her lap and tried for the millionth time to explain the situation after she told yet another passer-by her mum was being eaten. ‘Daddy was kissing me, just like I sometimes kiss you.’

Charlie put her lips over her teeth so it was blunt and pretended to bite Aria making her giggle. ‘Mummy it tickly!’

‘See, that didn’t hurt did it?’ Aria shook her head with a smile. ‘But that doesn’t mean you can do it okay?

‘Okay.’

‘Now go play.’

As Aria ran off into the playground to re-join her cousin, Charlie turned to Bianca. ‘Let’s hope that actually sticks in her head this time.’

‘Lets. So how’s the puppy doing? Is she still cute and fluffy?’ Bianca gleamed.

‘Yes, still cute and fluffy.’ Charlie agreed with a sentimental smile. ‘She comes home next week, the vet said. Of course, I have a million things to do before then. Raid the pet store, get the puppy adoption sorted out, I have to custom order an animal wheelchair because she’s so tiny -the nearest one is in the city—, need pet ramps oh, and I have to name her.’

‘The last one sounds like fun.’ Bianca watched her son build a sandcastle in the park sandpit and chuckled. ‘I just hope you don’t name her Princess Cutie Pie.’

‘No!’ Charlie pouted at the dig. ‘But I do think she needs a cutesy name, she’s just too cute not to. Maybe Honey or Coco or Ivy or something.’

‘I like the sound of Tux. It suits her, her fur looks like a little tuxedo.’ Bianca thought out loud. ‘Even Dotty or Chloe.’

‘As long as Aria doesn’t change it half way through.’ Charlie looked at Tinker-bell in her daughter’s hands as she played in the sandpit.

‘You want me to come with you to the city when you get the wheelchair?’ Bianca offered. ‘Maybe we can do a little shopping for us.’

‘Sounds like a plan.’ At that moment Aria decided to pay a little visit to the women.

‘Hey kid, you excited about your puppy?’ Bianca excitedly tickled the little girl.

Aria looked shocked. ‘Puppy?’

‘It was supposed to be a surprise…’ Charlie whispered under her breath as she watched her daughter’s face light up in delight.

‘Oh, whoops.’ Bianca apologised.

‘I got puppy?’ Aria mouth dropped with happiness as her glistened. she started jumping around and singing with excitement. ‘I got puppy! I got puppy! I got puppy!’

A couple walking by smiled fondly at the singing girl. She was definitely making a scene. Valen noticed and ran up to join them with excitement. ‘Mama look!’

Valen held out his hand, showing the women what he was holding. Bianca peered in and gasped in disgust. ‘Valen Charlie Scott. That better not be what I think it is!’

Valen looked confused. Here he was so excited by his findings and his mum didn’t like it. He smiled at her and presented the brown goo again. ‘Look!’

‘I can see!’ Bianca fussed with her bag looking for wet wipes. ‘Now drop it.’

‘I got puppy! I got puppy!’ Much to all the other parents’ amusement, Aria was now prancing around the park telling announcing it to all the other kids in the playground.

‘Oh, is that dog poop?’ Charlie scrunched up her face as she peered into the little boy’s hand. ‘Valen, that’s so gross! Put it down.’

‘Cool doo-doo.’ Valen grinned.

‘See what you have to look forward to with your new puppy.’ Bianca grumbled to Charlie as she grabbed Valen’s wrist with one hand and held a wet wipe in the other. With a big hesitant gulp, she tried not to throw up as she cleaned her son up. ‘Doo-doo is so not cool.’

‘No, no it’s not.’ Charlie shook her head.

‘Tell that to an almost two year old boy.’ Bianca sighed. ‘Boys will be boys.’

‘Daddy got me puppy!’

Charlie sighed as she heard her daughter sing those words. ‘And girls will be girls.’

------------------------------------------

The minute they entered the house, Aria ran up to her father and trapped him in a big bear hug. ‘Thank you thank you thank you daddy!’

‘For what?’ Brax looked confused by the sudden gesture.

‘You got me puppy!’ Aria gleamed and jumped up and down. ‘Puppy! Oh puppy! Where are you?’

‘Puppy’s still at the vet honey.’ Charlie told her with annoyance. ‘She’ll come live with us next week.’

‘Oh! I tell Barney.’ Aria didn’t miss a beat as she ran to her room. ‘Barney! Guess what? I got puppy!’

Brax laughed as his daughter disappeared and looked over at Charlie who looked exasperated. ‘Hey how was your day?’

‘It would be better if that thing wasn’t in my lounge room.’ Charlie criticised and pointed to the toilet seat. ‘You said you’d get rid of it a week ago.’

‘And I will. I just got home from work myself.’

‘When? I can’t have that in here Brax. It looks horrible.’ Charlie slumped on the couch.

‘Hey, I’ll do it first thing in the morning okay?’ Brax gently massaged her shoulders trying to cheer her up. ‘Bad day?’

‘No.’ Charlie grumbled sarcastically. ‘No, it’s not a bad day. It’s a beautiful day. Do you not see the sun outside? There’s not a cloud in the sky.’

Brax sighed. This was going to be one of those nights. Sitting down next to her on the couch, he stroked her hair. ‘Do you want to tell me what’s wrong? Maybe I can help?’

‘I shouldn’t have to tell you. You’re supposed to know.’ Charlie pouted childishly and moved away from his touch.

‘What? You want me to read your mind? Do my little magic eh?’ Brax crinkled his forehead with a smirk. Charlie didn’t warm up. ‘Look, I’m sorry I haven’t gotten rid of the toilet yet. I promise, tomorrow when you get home from work, it won’t be here.’

Charlie just stood up abruptly and faced him. ‘I can’t believe she thought it was you. It wasn’t you, you know. It was all me. Me. Not you.’

‘Are we still angry about the toilet?’ Brax couldn’t understand why his wife was having this sudden mood swing.

Charlie hadn’t heard. She was too busy rambling. ‘It’s always daddy this, daddy that. Why would mummy ever do anything nice? That was my puppy you know. So not yours. You don’t get to take the credit.’

‘I never said I would.’ Brax finally realised what she was upset about and couldn’t help but smile. Standing up, he halted her by putting his hands on her shoulders. ‘Charlie, you know there’s nothing to be jealous about.’

‘I’m not jealous. Did I say I was jealous?’ Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘I am so not jealous of you. As if.’

‘Exactly.’ Brax laughed at her silliness. ‘You have nothing to be jealous about. Aria loves you.’

‘Well, I know that.’ Charlie whined. ‘Why are you laughing at me?’

‘I’m not laughing at you.’ Brax put his lips together and unsuccessfully tried to keep a straight face.

‘Yes you are.’ Charlie glared at him stubbornly, making a funny pouty face and Brax smiled again. ‘There you go again. You’re laughing at me.’

‘I’m not having this silly fight with you. Aria loves us both equally and I love you both equally. We’ll tell her the puppy’s yours right now if you like.’

‘Right now?’ Charlie clarified.

‘Whatever you want.’ Brax grazed her cheek and kissed her pouty mouth with a smile. ‘You know, you’re kind of cute when you’re angry.’

‘Don’t call me cute.’ Brax began to move over to Aria’s room and Charlie glared at him stubbornly. ‘I’ll show you cute.’

‘I call you cute, I’m in trouble. If I don’t I’m still in trouble.’ There was a cheeky tone in Brax’ voice as if he was amused. ‘You’re impossible sometimes, you know that?’

Charlie rolled her eyes in annoyance determined to be upset. Ineffectively, a little smile fought through the hostile façade on her lips but she fought the smile and lost miserably.

‘Now, are you laughing at me?’ Brax pulled her chin up and chuckled.

‘No.’ Charlie’s stubborn voice was hostile but her face was desperately trying not to smile.

‘Yeah, I didn’t think so, eh.’ Brax leaned into her face and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. ‘Now how about we go say hi to Aria?’

Charlie remained silent and pouted with an involuntary smile. Brax leaned down to her waist and tickled her making her giggle out loud. It was way too hard to remain irritated with Darryl Braxton.

Happy holidays :wink:

TWENTY EIGHT

‘Love you mummy.’ Aria gave her a big bear hug and yawned. Ever since she’d found out she’d got her a puppy, Charlie was her new best friend.

‘Love you too.’ Charlie kissed her hair as she walked and turned to Bianca. ‘So you’ll be happy to know my lounge room looks like a lounge room again.

Bianca looked around. ‘The toilet’s gone?’

‘Brax took it to a second hand place and sold it the other day.’ Charlie smiled. ‘Now I never have to see that cursed thing again.’

‘Good for you.’ Bianca yawned as she reached to get something out of the bag.

‘Where’s the kid today?’

‘Spending the day with Aunt April.’ Bianca replied. ‘They’re going to see the whale at the zoo.’

‘Sounds like fun.’ Charlie laughed as she entered the vet clinic. ‘Personally, I’d rather see the puppy.’

‘Me too.’

Me three.’ Aria piped in.

‘Charlie.’ Dr Townsend walked up to them with a tiny little bundle of joy in his hands. ‘Good to see you again. Are you ready to take her home?’

He looked down at the little girl whose eyes lit up with excitement. ‘Puppy! Puppy, come play!’

‘Dr Townsend, this is my daughter Aria and my friend Bianca.’ Charlie introduced them.

‘Hello.’ The vet greeted. ‘Alright, I just need you to sign some forms and you can be on your way.’

‘Puppy down!’ Aria demanded. The vet put the little black and white Pomeranian on the floor in his little red dog wheelchair strapped to him. ‘Oh no. Puppy’s hurt.’

Charlie squatted to her level to explain. ‘That’s because she was in an accident. She got hurt so she has this special puppy wheelchair to help her walk. We have to be really careful and take good care of her, can you do that?’

‘Yeah.’ Aria nodded and squatted to the puppy’s level, patting its black ears. ‘It okay puppy. I be careful.’

‘Good girl.’ Dr Townsend approved. ‘Charlie?’

Charlie smiled and went with him to sign the forms while Bianca and Aria bonded with their new friend. ‘So Ari, what’re you going to call her?’

Aria pondered for a while. ‘Your name Gigi okay? Gigi this Bee-Bee.’

‘Hi Gigi.’ Bianca bent down and ruffled the puppy’s little fur.

‘Hi Bee-Bee.’ Aria took the little front paw and waved it.

‘Alright, ready to go?’ Charlie walked back over to them and put a leash on the little guy.

‘Come Gigi. Let go home.’ Aria took the leash and very gently guided her out into the bright day. Walking slower than a turtle, every five seconds, she turned around to make sure the little guy was doing alright.

‘You know, she can walk a little faster.’ Charlie shook her head impatiently with a smile.

‘No mummy. you no-no nothing.’ Aria looked appalled as she bent down to check on the dog very few steps. ‘Gigi hurt. We gotta be careful.’

‘You’re right. I’m sorry.’ Charlie continued walking at snail pace and sighed. ‘What was I thinking?’

‘Somethin’ real silly.’ Aria replied with a giggle.

‘At least she’s taking the being careful thing seriously.’ Bianca smiled playfully in amusement.

--------------------------------------------------------------

‘Do you want me to keep the light on?’ Charlie asked her daughter.

‘No.’ Aria shook her head. ‘Gigi hurt. I gotta be brave for Gigi and take care of her.’

‘Gigi’s lucky to have such a brave girl for a friend.’ Charlie proudly walked out of his daughter’s room slowly. ‘Night.’

‘Night corchus.’ Aria yawned and closed her eyes contently. Next to her, on a little doggy bed on the floor lay Gigi.

Closing the door slightly, Charlie went back to the living room and sat next to Brax on the couch. He paused the TV. ‘You know, I think we’re going to get a good night’s sleep tonight. She didn’t even make a fuss over bedtime or anything.’

‘The dog’s doing her magic.’ Brax pulled her waist to him. ‘I guess having her in her room’s making Aria less scared of the monsters.’

‘We should’ve gotten a dog weeks ago. Saved us a lot of sleepless nights.’ Charlie cuddled into his chest and looked at the screen where there was a toddler. ‘This looks good. That’s a cute little boy. What’re you watching?’

‘The shining.’ Brax hit the play button and they settled to watch it. For the next fifteen minutes, things were going great and then…

‘Oh my gosh!’ Charlie covered her eyes and turned to Brax in shock. She couldn’t help but gape. ‘I take it back. That is so not good anymore. Brax! Why are those people being so mean to the cute little boy?’

‘It’s a horror movie. What’d you expect?’ Brax laughed and pulled her in closer while pressing pause. ‘We can watch something else if you’re scared?’

‘No. I’m not scared. I was just a little…startled.’ Charlie defended herself and slowly, yet reluctantly turned around to face the screen again. Shaking his head at his wife who was peeking through the hands which covered her face, Brax pressed play. A few minutes later…

‘Oh no!’ Charlie squealed again and buried her face in Brax’ chest, peeking every few seconds at the screen and hiding away again. ‘Brax! The cute little boy’s gonna get hurt!’

‘That’s the whole idea, Charlie.’ Brax pulled her in even closer so she was practically sprawled on him. He was getting annoyed at the commentary. ‘I get my daughter to stop getting scared and my wife starts up. I can’t catch a break eh. Are you sure you don’t want something else?’

‘I’m sure. Play it.’ Charlie nodded with a gulp. Even though she was scared, she was interested in the movie. They watched for a little longer and then… ‘Brax! Why are you showing this to me?’

‘Because you said so.’ Brax laughed and sighed. He kissed her forehead softly as she lay with her leg over his hugging him. ‘And because I got a beautiful woman wrapped around me. Why wouldn’t I show it to you eh?’

Charlie playfully hit his chest and looked up. ‘Hey! You’re such a guy sometimes.’

‘Only sometimes?’ Brax grinned cheekily.

Charlie scowled teasingly and scooted over to the other side of the couch, legs tucked into her stomach. ‘So? Are we watching the movie or what?’

‘What’re you doing over there?’ Brax reached out to her but she was too far away.

‘Well, I’m not wrapping myself around you, that’s for sure.’ Charlie smiled knowingly.

‘Oh come on, don’t be like that.’ Brax held out his arm yearningly and laughed. ‘Come back here.’

‘Make me.’ Charlie raised her eyebrows with a glint in her eyes.

‘Charlie, be reasonable eh.’ Brax shook his head. ‘We’re watching a horror movie and you’re sitting there all alone in the dark, by yourself. Alone. Something might get you. That’s how the hot chicks die in movies you know. They get stubborn, run away from their husbands and something gets them.’

‘Please, you’re like five feet away from me on the other side of the couch.’ Charlie scoffed. ‘You’ll have to come up with something better than that.’

‘Alright, then just stay there. Alone in the dark.’ Brax shrugged and turned back to the screen, fiddling with the remote. ‘Don’t say I didn’t warn you. You never know what’s going to come at you.’

‘I don’t think so. And anyway, who’d going to get me, Aria?’ Charlie rolled her eyes and turned her head to look behind her into the dark. The only light came from the TV. She turned back to the front and making sure Brax wasn’t watching, slowly turned back around again to double check her surroundings. The shadows looked extra eerie.

‘Ah!’ Charlie gasped in fear as something grabbed her ankle in her moment of distraction and pulled her back so she was lying down. Looking up, she found Brax on top of her. He grabbed both her wrists and pulled them above her head. ‘Brax, you scared me.’

‘I warned you.’ Brax was so close his breath was on her face as he whispered. ‘You never know. Anyone can get you.’

Charlie was breathing heavily from the initial shock as she struggled to get out of his grasp but gave up. He was too strong. She smiled up at him seductively. ‘Well, I suppose I should be glad it’s you.’

‘I wouldn’t be so sure about that.’ Brax leaned in closer and Charlie leaned up to reach his lips but he teased her, moving his face out of her reach every time she got close. ‘Charlie.’

‘Brax!’ Charlie whispered desperately yearning for his kiss, her body trapped by him. She was completely at his whim. ‘Please.’

Brax still held her down with her hand above her head. The movie played in the background but neither of them payed any attention. ‘Don’t say I never warned you eh.’

Leaning down, he pressed his lips to hers passionately, a kiss that vibrated through every molecule in her body, opening up her soul and triggering her innermost yearning. She was gone.

Hope you had a great holiday. Here's the next chapter.

TWENTY NINE

‘Charlie! Bianca! Bianca, wait up! I know you can hear me. God, why are you walking so fast!’ The two women froze in fear as the unmistakable voice called out to them from behind. Looking at each other with a big gulp, they reluctantly swivelled a hundred and eighty degrees.

‘Cheryl…what a lovely surprise!’ Bianca smiled through grinding teeth. She had completely forgotten that picking up Charlie from work entailed catching up with Ma Braxton and they’d been hoping to duck out of there quickly.

‘Truly lovely.’ Charlie faked a smile. ‘It’s such a shame we can’t stay and chat, I just finished my shift and we were just heading out to do some shopping…so…’

‘Shopping? Shopping with young children? Good luck with that.’ Cheryl scoffed radiantly. Marriage was doing her wonders. She frowned a little. ‘Where are they?’

‘Actually, the kids aren’t coming with us.’ Bianca grabbed onto Charlie’s elbow for emotional support.

‘Not coming with you? Not coming with you?’ Cheryl repeated herself in confusion. ‘Not coming with you? Well, where’d you dump them?’

‘With their fathers.’ Charlie explained hoping this wasn’t going to lead where she thought it was. ‘We were going to buy Brax something from Yabee Creek. It’s his birthday in a few days and…’

‘Well, I know that. He’s my son.’ Cheryl piped in. ‘At least you’re not spoiling yourselves rotten, I should be thankful for that. Only my son.’

‘Right, well, we don’t want to take too long. The shops won’t be open forever.’ Charlie sang and pointed behind her to the car park and headed that way.

‘Hold on, you’re just leaving like that? You’re not even going to ask about my honeymoon?’

The girls turned around and sighed with a smile. Charlie had heard about it way too many times for anyone’s liking. Bianca gleamed sweetly trying to hide her sarcasm. ‘Of course Cheryl, how rude of us. How is your honeymoon going?’

‘Great.’ The usually abrupt woman was now biting her lip dreamily as she sighed. ‘It’s a refreshing change from the idiots I’ve been with. The boys’ dad, they were all so rough.’

‘Well, we’re all rooting for you guys.’ Bianca chirped.

‘I’ve never met a man so passionate.’ Cheryl cooed happily. ‘Keith…he is quite something.’

‘Yes, so I keep hearing.’ Charlie smiled.

‘Puts his whole heart and soul into everything. There’s not many who do that anymore. He’s so tender and nurturing in everything he does. Almost everything.’ Cheryl continued. ‘You wouldn’t think that a man his age would be so passionate but I’m telling you girls…’

‘We can only imagine.’ Charlie nodded frivolously as the older woman trailed off dreamily.

‘Not that we’d want to.’ Bianca leaned in and whispered into her friend’s ear under her breath and giggled.

‘What’s so funny?’ Cheryl snapped out of her ecstasy, not hearing the whisper.

‘Nothing. We’re just both really very happy for you.’ Charlie smiled. ‘So happy, we want to let you get back to your…honeymoon.’

‘Oh yeah, Keith’s waiting for me to go back to the room with food.’ Cheryl realised as she looked at her watch and headed back into the resort. ‘We’ve been so busy with each other, we haven’t really gotten a chance to eat today. Completely lost track of time.’

‘Us too.’ Bianca waved. ‘It was nice seeing you again.’

‘Bye.’ Charlie waved as well and the two girls turned back to head into town for shopping.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Brax stood at the bar working on his books during the Wednesday lunch shift. The restaurant had been busy over the holidays and things were really looking up. Beside him, near the kitchen door, sat his wife in a summery print dress, waiting for him to get off.

‘Beautiful woman sitting alone at the bar with no one to buy her a drink. It’s practically criminal.’ A man slunk into the seat beside Charlie with a cheesy grin and turned to Brax. ‘Whiskey. And for the lady…a glass of red?’

‘I drink white.’ Charlie sighed politely and dismissively, hoping he’d go away soon. The man reeked of cheap cologne.

‘The colour of purity.’ The man nodded to her as Brax rolled his eyes as he gave them their drinks.

Charlie shared a smile with Brax and replied. ‘Is there something you wanted?’

‘I just thought you looked a little lonely. Wanted to keep you company that’s all. I’m Gary.’ He held out his hand and she reluctantly took it.

‘Charlie.’

‘And I’m Brax.’ Brax stood in between them on the other side of the bar and placed his hands on the counter stiffly, annoyed with the guy hitting on his wife. ‘Is there a problem?’

‘No. Excuse me, we’re just in the middle of a conversation.’ Gary turned to face Charlie, ignoring him. ‘Bartenders can be so intrusive sometimes. So, why is a lovely girl like you sitting all by her lonesome?’

‘I’m waiting for someone.’ Charlie sipped her wine impatiently. ‘The hot bartender actually, promised to take me home.’

‘Him?’ Gary’s eyes widened disbelievingly. ‘Really?’

‘I don’t know, I guess I have a thing for barmen.’ Charlie winked at Brax who grinned.

Still standing with his hands defensively on the counter, Brax shrugged when Gary stared at him. ‘I can’t help it if that’s the way she feels. Tough luck mate.’

Gary chugged the whiskey down, put down a fifty note and walked away from the bar. Charlie giggled seductively and rested her hand on her cheek. ‘So, when exactly does the hot bartender get off work? I’m bored.’

‘Soon. I promise.’ Brax resumed his work. ‘I just need to check over these numbers and then we can go home.’

‘Okay.’ Charlie sulked and sipped her wine while watching her husband work. She observed as a woman walked over to the bar and asked for her takeaway.

‘Alright, we have three large margaritas and two pepperoni.’ Brax grinned as he handed her the order. ‘Having a couple of friends over are ya?’

‘Uni study group.’ The girl giggled and handed him the money. She bit her lip as his fingers grazed her palm, taking the money and Charlie smiled.

‘Well, don’t study too hard eh.’ Brax shrugged and handed her the change. ‘Here you go. Five fifty change. Enjoy your pizza.’

‘Thanks.’ She stood around for a second longer just admiring.

‘Did you want something else?’ Brax asked politely.

‘Oh, no. Thanks.’ Embarrassed, she took her pizza and rushed out in a blush.

Brax resumed his work unperturbed and Charlie observed him for a while with a smile. ‘So?’

‘So what?’ Brax didn’t look up.

‘So, girls must hit on you a lot around here huh?’ Charlie inquired. ‘Hot muscly man behind the bar, bound to attract some attention…’

‘I wouldn’t know. I don’t really notice.’ Brax was busy trying to organise some receipts.

‘You don’t?’ Charlie asked as she took another sip.

Brax finally looked up at her and walked over to where she was sitting, making a show of taking a sip of her drink. ‘No, I don’t.’

‘You don’t notice it, not even a little?’ Charlie squinted and hinted.

‘I have no reason to.’ Brax grinned and shrugged. ‘Well, I guess there’s this one girl, I kind of notice.’

‘Oh?’ Charlie pouted.

‘Yeah, she comes in every Wednesday when her daughter’s on a play date and just sits at the bar. We talk quite a bit.’

‘About?’

‘Her daughter. She’s two, cute as a button, cheeky little thing. They just got a little puppy.’ Brax smirked. ‘Sometimes her husband.’

‘Husband?’ Charlie asked.

‘Yeah, newlyweds.’ Brax leaned in closer. ‘From what I hear, he’s a real catch. Handsome, charming…’

‘A little cocky?’ Charlie raised her eyebrows as he described himself.

‘Sometimes, she comes in a little huffed. He works in a bar with all those drunken women.’ Brax scrunched up his nose. ‘Do you know what I tell her?’

‘What?’ Charlie leaned in close and stared at him.

Brax whispered. ‘I tell her, she’s too beautiful, sexy and smart to ever worry about a thing.’

‘You do?’

‘Charlie, no man would even think about another woman if they had you.’ Brax grinned.

‘Darryl Braxton, always the smooth talker.’ Charlie bit her lip dreamily.

‘You know what, this can wait.’ Brax gestured to the papers and stepped out from behind the bar. ‘Let’s get out of here.’

‘Yes let’s.’ Charlie smiled and allowed her to be led out of the room.

THIRTY

‘Oh my goodness gracious me Gigi! You poop!’ Aria gasped as the little puppy did his business on the grass.

‘Cool doo-doo!’ Valen squatted and gazed at it excitedly.

‘No. mummy says not cool.’ Aria said matter-of-factly and scrunched up her nose. ‘It stinky.’

Aria looked at the back porch where their mums were drinking coffee on the patio couch. Beside her, her cousin was poking the poop with a stick.

‘Don’t touch that!’ Bianca called out and the kid jumped away.

‘Ha, you in tubble now.’ Aria teased and Valen frowned. Beside them, the puppy barked and she reached to pat her softly. ‘It okay, Gigi.’

Harry walked over to them from where the women were. ‘My mummy says you gotta share.’

‘Okay.’ Aria stuffed her face onto the stick and managed to get some on her nose and cheeks. She grabbed the leftovers on her face and pushed it into her mouth too. Then she handed the fairy floss to Harry.

‘Is that your dog?’ Harry gestured to the little jumping thing at their feet, his voice giving away a hint of a Boston accent.

‘Uh-huh this Gigi.’ Aria patted her softly on the head. ‘Gigi hurt.’

‘How?’

‘She losted her legs.’ Aria sighed dramatically as she squatted down.

‘Can’t we find them again?’ Harry asked worriedly. ‘Maybe they’re in my backyard. You live next door right? So she might have lost it here.’

‘Yeah. Less look.’ Aria nodded concernedly. She took the puppy by the collar and carefully guided her as they walked.

‘Doo-doo and Tantula! Wow!’ Valen didn’t go with them, he was too interested in the spider crawling onto the puppy poop.

Aria and Harry walked over to the back fence, searching between back bushes for the missing legs. ‘Can you see it?’

‘No.’ Aria sounded disappointed. They searched the entire backyard for ages before regrouping again.

‘I don’t think it’s here.’ Harry concluded and put a hand on her arm sentimentally. ‘I’m sorry.’

‘It okay. She got wheelchair. It red.’ Aria nodded weakly. She hugged the older boy tightly and he hugged her back.

‘Do you want to ride my bike?’ Harry asked. ‘It’s blue and it’s got training wheels and everything. My Aunt Gina got it for me.’

‘You ride bike?’ Aria stood back with wide awestruck eyes.

‘Yeah, I’m 3 years plus a half you know.’ Harry walked up to the shed. I’m not a baby anymore. I go to kinder and everything. You’re only little so you never been to school.’

‘No. Am big girl.’ Aria complained. ‘Daddy say so.’

‘You’re not bigger than me.’ Harry took out the bike and gave it to her. ‘But it okay. You pretty cool for a baby.’

‘Thanks.’ Aria blushed. ‘You cool too. You talk funny.’

‘No. You do.’ Harry crossed his eyes. ‘Here you go. I can help you if you want.’

‘Thanks.’ Aria sat on it and had to lean over far to grab the handles. ‘Wow, it big.’

‘Told you you’re little.’ Harry placed his hands on top of hers and guided her across the lawn. ‘My bother Luke teach me like this and push me so I push you.’

‘Mummy look!’ Aria shouted and Charlie glanced up from her chat to look.

‘Be careful on that.’ Charlie called out, worried.

‘I be.’ Aria called back in excitement. Harry was very busy trying to keep Aria in balance as he walked alongside her not paying attention where he was going. The next thing he knew, he was smack down on the grass.

-------------------------------------------------------

The three women and their children were now inside the Palmer house. Rachel fiddled around in the kitchen and grabbed a popsicle and moved to the couch where Charlie sat with Harry on her lap. ‘Here you go honey. This’ll stop your mouth from hurting.’

Charlie took it and popped it in Harry’s sore swollen mouth. His face was tear blotched and thankfully, he’d stopped crying. ‘There you go mate.’ The kid sucked on it grateful for the relief.

On the floor Aria sat cross legged with Gigi resting on her lap and she patted her fur. Her frowning eyes however were glaring at Harry who was resting his cheek on Charlie’s shoulder while her mother patted him lovingly.

‘At least no one’s majorly hurt.’ Bianca sympathised as she lightly touched Harry’s arm, sitting on the couch. ‘Tripping over a poor puppy, that’s rough.’

Rachel sighed and sat on Charlie’s other side. ‘Either way, I’m glad to be home. Even if it is just for a few weeks. Harry needs to see his home country once in a while.’

‘Yeah, that’s a tough little accent he’s got there.’ Bianca chuckled. ‘Half the words are Aussie and the other half American. It’s quite something.’

‘Yeah, but it’s too cute.’ Charlie tickled his cheek softly making him giggle but he soon stopped when it hurt Beside them on the floor, her daughter sat nose flaring at the familiar gesture. Charlie obliviously continued to chat with her friends. ‘Either way, I missed you around here. I’m glad you’re back home.’

‘Well, technically, I’m in Gina’s home not mine. It seems some one’s taken over my old house!’ Rachel lightly poked Charlie in the arm as she teased.

‘Hey, I’d offer you your old room back while you’re here but I turned it into a nursery years ago.’ Charlie joked back.

‘Yeah, I still can’t believe you have a little one.’ Rachel laughed. ‘And that you left the force! I never would have guessed.’

‘Neither would I. I guess love got in the way.’ Charlie shrugged and stroked Harry’s arm much to Aria’s dismay. ‘You’ll have to meet Brax before you go back to the states. I’m not taking no for an answer.’

‘I can’t wait.’ Rachel smiled. ‘Is he your usual type?’

‘I have a type?’ Charlie frowned and looked at Bianca.

‘Don’t look at me, I’ve ever really known you with Brax.’ Bianca scoffed.

‘Yeah, you like your men tough. Roman was ex-army, Angelo was ex-cop…’

‘Brax is ex-gang leader…’ Bianca caught on.

‘He is?’ Rachel looked at Charlie with concern.

‘He’s changed.’ Charlie assured her. ‘He had to have, or I wouldn’t be with him.’

‘I hope so.’ Rachel looked a little apprehensive and looked over her old friend to her new one. ‘So Bianca? Did you always date rock stars?’

‘No. One day I just decided royal prince wasn’t really my type and found Liam.’ Bianca shrugged.

‘A prince and a musician?’ Rachel gasped. ‘You really don’t settle for second best do you?’

‘Why should I?’ Bianca laughed. ‘Although the only thing royal about Vittorio was that he was a royal pain in the backside.’

‘Didn’t work out?’ Rachel took the popsicle from Harry as he turned to give it to her. Then he nestled his nose into Charlie’s neck again, making Aria’s eyes widen in worry.

‘It was a mess.’ Bianca shook her head. ‘But it all worked out in the end. I got a great hubby and a great son. As Aria would say, my life is corchus right now.’

Valen sat with his back to the women playing with something secretively. Charlie smiled. ‘Hey mate, what you got there?’

Valen turned around with something in his hands and standing up, walked over to his mother. ‘Look!’

‘Bianca jumped and screamed. ‘Oh my gosh!’

Charlie and Rachel shuffled on the couch as well. Valen just smiled. ‘Mummy Tantula!’

‘Please…take it outside…’ Bianca gulped as she half stood on the couch, squeaking in a high pitch voice. ‘Now…’

‘But…’

‘Now.’ Charlie’s eyes were wide as he held Harry closer to her in fear.

It was the last straw. Aria stood up and tried to climb onto her mother’s lap, but she was too busy with the spider in the room. Charlie cautiously brought her feet on the table.

‘It tantula!’ Valen couldn’t understand the apprehension to his new friend. His cousin got a pet, why couldn’t he? ‘Ari puppy. Val tantula!’

‘Honey, you can’t keep that.’ Bianca felt like things were crawling on her and shuddered as the large spider crawled from one of her son’s hands to the other. ‘It’s…it’s…god, where’s Liam when you need him?’

Rachel got a newspaper and took deep shallow breaths as she rolled it up and hesitated to go near the smiling boy.

‘Mummy.’ Aria whined with a frown. Charlie brushed the little girl’s fingers away as they dug into her thigh.

‘Aria stop that.’ Charlie scolded before returning her attention to the little spider situation.

Aria climbed onto the couch in the vacant spot Rachel had left and getting on her knees, tried to climb onto her mother’s lap but Harry was in the way. When she realised she wasn’t able to hug Charlie’s neck, she used her body to push the boy out of the way and make room.

‘Aria, don’t. You’ll hurt him.’ Charlie held him closer as he nearly fell a second time.

Aria got more and more agitated by the second as she tried to get her mother back. If life were a cartoon, there would be smoke steaming out of her ears.

‘Okay, I can do this!’ Rachel tried to assure herself as she moved with the rolled up newspaper in her hand like she was fencing and taking a deep breath, she flicked at the spider, watching as it fell onto the floor and scurried around.

‘Oh no, you don’t!’ Bianca pulled her son back onto the couch with her as he began to bend down and go after the tarantula. Rachel jumped up onto the coffee table with a squeak.

‘Mummy mine!’ Aria demanded with no reaction. Everyone was too busy dealing with other things. Realising he was feeling a little better, Charlie put Harry down on the couch next to Aria.

‘Mummy!’ Aria was finally able to hug her mother and she revelled in it just as Tony and Gina walked through the door.

‘Tony, thank god you’re here!’ Rachel sighed in relief and pointed at the floor. ‘Spider!’

‘Cool tantula!’ Valen grinned happily, oblivious to the three women’s distress. He really couldn’t see what was so wrong.

Archived