Conjugal Charms

Guest mizziette

Sorry it's been a little longer than usual between updates. Summer's been making me a tad lazy <_<

Ask and you shall receive. Meet Heath and baby! :wub:

ELEVEN

‘I can’t believe the surprise party’s tomorrow night.’ Charlie organised the dresses on the bed, taking one out of the closet at a time and examining them. ‘Ruby’s actually going to be twenty one.’

‘People grow up. There’s nothing you can do about it.’ Bianca sighed as she lifted the dresses to her body in the mirror and discarded them to the bed. She bent and picked another one from Charlie’s pile. ‘What about this one?’

‘Pwitty Bee-Bee.’ Aria smiled her gummy smile and took one of Bianca’s yellow dresses holding up to her miniature body. The young girl admired herself in the mirror copying her aunt. ‘What ‘bout this?’

‘Pretty Ari.’ Charlie smiled and threw a black structured number over the bed. ‘Try this one on. I know what you mean. I wish she’d never grow up. Even though she’s a pain sometimes.’

‘Valen sure loves his tantrums, I’ll tell you that. You know that’s our problem, we can’t have it both ways. We want them small, but we want them mature as well.’ Bianca undressed and slipped on the black dress, smoothing it down. She turned around to the open zip. ‘Zip me.’

Charlie moved forward to zip her up. ‘We don’t realise those two things are hardly ever mutually exclusive.’

While her mother moved back to the closet, Aria observed the two women’s exchange with a keen eye and took a hot pink dress from the messy bed pile and tried to take off her own clothes. Bianca saw the little one toughing it out with the buckle on her miniature jeans while she looked in the mirror and smiled. ‘Honey, what are you doing?’

With some effort, Aria managed to get her jeans off so she was only in her Barbie pull ups. Determined, she sunk her legs into the neck of Bianca’s pink dress and tried to pull it up over her shoulders unsuccessfully. ‘Zip me.’

Bianca looked at the little girl swimming in the bright pink silk and giggled. ‘I think that’s a little too big little one. We already bought you a pretty pink party dress in your size.’ Before she could do anything more, she heard a familiar cry and grinned. ‘Hear that little one? I think that’s your favourite cousin.’

Bianca reached her bedroom door with excitement just as Heath tuned the knob and entered the room with a wailing Valen in his arms. ‘Hey kiddo, easy there. Look here’s mummy.’ Heath cooed in his son’s ear unsuccessfully as he bounced him.

‘Oh baby! What’s daddy doing to you huh? What’s wrong?’ Bianca cooed lovingly and kissed him on his chubby tear stricken cheek. ‘You’re crying an ocean over there.’

‘He’s been like this all morning.’ Heath informed the women wearily. ‘Nothing’s shutting him up.’

‘Is that right baby?’ Charlie walked over to them and asked the little boy. Valen nodded sobbingly before continuing to cry.

‘Zip me?’ Aria stood behind them in her original spot starving for attention. Everyone was huddling around Valen and she didn’t like it. She stomped her foot with a quivering bottom lip. ‘Zip me?’

Heath hushed in his son’s ear and kissed him on the cheek. ‘Why don’t you go see if mummy can cheer you up? You want to go over there?’

Bianca held out her arms to the little boy but Valen just stared and cried even harder before cuddling deeper into his father’s neck. ‘No!’

‘Oh okay.’ Bianca feigned disappointment at the diss. ‘Then why don’t you go show daddy your big kid bed. You can show him how well you can sleep in it.’

‘You want to do that mate?’ Heath could feel his shoulder getting wet. ‘It’s your naptime anyway? Why don’t you show daddy what a great sleeper you are?’

Valen just sobbed as Heath whispered sweet nothings in his ear while they walked down the hallway. Sighing, Bianca shut her bedroom door again as the sobs faded away. The girls looked at each other.

‘Zip me!’ Aria was furious now at the inattention and almost ready to burst into tears. At two, she couldn’t imagine anything in the world more important than her. ‘Mama?’

Charlie looked down at her daughter, for the first time noticing the oversized pink dress hanging off the tiny frame. ‘You’re picking out what to wear for the party too huh gorgeous?’ She took the child into the lap as she sat on the bed and did the pointless task of doing up the zip which started at the girl’s ankles. ‘You know I think pink looks gorgeous on you.’

Looking up at the full length mirror in front of them, Charlie kissed the hair of a very pleased two year old. Aria felt like a princess as she sat in her mum’s arms. ‘Corchus!’ She whispered as she admired her dress in the mirror. ‘Corchus!’

-------------------------------------------------------

Ruby walked into her mum’s house the next day with a very excited smile on her face. ‘Charlie, are you home? Mum?’

Charlie walked out distractedly in her white nightdress and a basket of laundry, putting the misplaced clothing in the lounge room into the basket. ‘Oh hi honey. How are you?’

Ruby raised her eyebrows at the indifference as Charlie disappeared back into the hallway with the basket. Feeling a little out of place, she sat down hesitantly on the couch wondering if her own mother had forgotten what day it was. ‘I’m good. Great, actually. I have a feeling it’s going to be a great day.’

A voice called out from the hallway. ‘Why is that?’

Ruby sighed at the ignorance and hinted obviously hoping she’d get the message. ‘Oh, it’s just one of those days when you just know it’s going to be special. Don’t you think? You can just feel the specialness oozing out of the air.’

‘Rubes, don’t talk about things oozing. It puts disgusting images in my head.’ Charlie’s voice sounded nonchalant and exhausted from inside the hallway and Ruby sighed.

‘Not even cake? Cake oozing with chocolaty icing.’ Ruby bit her lip nervously and patted her foot on the carpet hoping the mention of cake would evoke some kind of recognition for the milestone. ‘You always love your cake. Especially on days like this.’

‘I don’t know. I don’t really feel like cake today.’ Charlie stepped out of the hall through the kitchen door to see Ruby tapping her feet nervously as she faced away from her. She could literally see the poor girl’s body droop with disappointment. With a smile, she silently crept up behind her.

‘I do. I’d really love some cake. Chocolate cake.’ Ruby moped in dismay as she yearned and stared at the floor unaware that her mum was behind her.

‘Will a cup cake do for now?’ Ruby jumped as Charlie wrapped her arms around from behind the couch with a cup cake in her hand. A single candle was lit on top of it. She looked up at her mum in wonder. ‘You didn’t really think I’d forget my own daughter’s birthday did you?’

‘Well…’ Ruby was speechless as her confusion turned into a delirious glee. ‘I….Charlie….’

‘Go on, make a wish.’ Charlie kissed her daughter on the cheek happily as she hugged her. ‘It’s your twenty first. It’s a special day.’

Ruby smiled as she turned around and blew out the candle with her eyes closed. Opening her eyes, she found Charlie letting go of her and making her way around the couch to sit next to her. ‘You really remembered?’

‘Of course I remembered. I was just messing with you.’ Charlie lovingly held her daughter around the waist. ‘Giving you your very own sixteen candles moment.’

‘Well, you know how much I love my eighties movies.’ Ruby giggled as she felt a joyful tear coming. ‘I can’t believe today’s really here.’

‘Neither can I. My little girl’s own grown up.’ Charlie could feel the tears welling up in her eyes.

‘Oh mum, don’t cry.’ Ruby hugged the emotional woman. ‘I’ll always be your little girl.’

‘I know.’ Charlie wiped a tear and smiled. ‘It’s just… you’re so grown up. I’d never have known five years ago that my baby girl would be calling me mum and going off to work every morning. I’m so proud of you.’

‘I’m proud of me too. And you. You’ve grown up too.’

‘I have, haven’t I?’ Charlie laughed. ‘I hope you don’t have any plans today. I plan on stealing you and keeping you all to myself.’

‘Talk about selfish.’ Ruby joked and laughed.

Charlie grabbed her daughter’s elbow and pulled her into an embrace, kissing the top of her head. ‘Call it what you like. You’re all mine until midnight. We’re having a girl’s day. Champagne, chocolates, old movies, the works.’

‘Sounds good to me.’ Ruby smiled.

‘Me too.’ The girls turned around at the little voice to find Aria yawning in her Dora pyjamas as she walked up to them and cuddled into her mum’s other side.

‘You too.’ Charlie laughed as she held both her daughters on the couch. ‘Maybe minus the champagne.’

Ruby leaned over and tickled her sleepy little sister who giggled hysterically and sunk deeper into Charlie’s armpit. Charlie just smiled admiringly at their sisterly banter. Ruby was right. It was going to be one of those special days.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the next chapter.

TWELVE

‘Oh no!’ Ruby sat sobbing on the couch with her sister as they watched TV. ET got them every time.

‘Oh no ET!’ Aria gasped at the screen. She had no idea what was going on but she enjoyed the emotional reactions received from the women around her. Although there were no tears, she took another tissue and pretended to dry her already dry eyes like Ruby was.

These girls were oblivious to the two women sipping coffee in the kitchen. Bianca who had joined the girls an hour ago peered from the corner secretively. ‘Heath just texted me, everything’s set at Angelo’s.’

‘Now we just need to get Ruby ready.’ Charlie whispered back as she watched her daughter. ‘Easier said than done. You okay, you look a little off.’

‘Yeah, Valen’s still being fussy. He barely stopped crying all night and he’s being a nuisance at Angelo’s too. I think we’ll just get a sitter instead of taking him to the party.’

‘Poor thing. Is he feeling alright?’

‘I haven’t noticed anything to the contrary.’ Bianca sipped her coffee. ‘Dinner at Angelo’s?’

‘Sounds good to me.’ Charlie walked out into the lounge room with her friend in tow. ‘Are you girls done crying your eyes out?’

Ruby turned around with red puffy eyes. ‘Mum, the movie’s so sad.’

‘So sad.’ Aria nodded and sighed with a melancholy look on her face even though she had no idea.

‘It is. Poor ET you know. He’s so sad and all he wants to do is go home but they all try to hurt him.’ Ruby wiped her eyes sadly.

Charlie smiled lovingly and took the tissue out of her hand. ‘Come on, it’s your birthday. You’re not allowed to be sad on your birthday. We’re going out to dinner. Just us girls.’

‘But I don’t have anything to wear here.’

Charlie gestured into the hall. ‘Go check my room. On the bed.’

Ruby’s eyes gleamed and she jumped up to go to her mum’s room. When she got there she screamed. ‘Charlie, it’s beautiful.’

Charlie glanced at Bianca as her daughter ran back out into the lounge and hugged her tightly. ‘Thank you, thank you, and thank you. It’s just what I wanted.’

‘I should hope so. We spent hours looking for that dress.’ Bianca leaned against the table. ‘You can wear it tonight.’

‘I will.’ Ruby hugged Charlie again and Aria ran to join them, hugging their legs. ‘This is going to be perfect.’

------------------------------------------------------------

Two hours later, Aria stood at the top of the surf club stairs looking proud in her pink toned ruffle dress. Biting her lip, she took a deep breath before grabbing her sister’s hand. Their mum was already in there. She looked up at Ruby who, in her opinion looked like a princess. Her golden hair was in loosely swept curls as she checked it in the compact and the birthday dress looked divine.

With a tug, Aria pulled Ruby into her dad’s restaurant encouragingly. The scene inside caught the birthday girl in surprise. ‘Surprise!’

Ruby looked up gleefully and put her compact away. Looking down to her side, Aria grinned happily up at her along with all her family and friends. ‘Wow!’

‘Happy birthday, eh.’ Brax put his arm around her shoulder and led her into the crowd. ‘Getting a little old?’

‘No. Never.’ Ruby giggled and poked him. ‘Casey?’

Brax shook his head. ‘He couldn’t make it. He got caught up in Melbourne with uni exams.’

‘Oh.’ Ruby sounded a little disappointed. The long distance relationship had ended a long time ago but they were still friends and she wished he was there. She shook it off. ‘Oh well. I can’t believe you guys did all this for me. It’s amazing.’

‘Only the best for you.’ Charlie slid into Brax’ other arm. Two young blonde girls ran up to them.

‘Happy birthday Rubes.’ Darcy grinned lovingly with her elbow locked into her best friend’s arm. ‘You look really pretty.’

‘Yeah, really pretty.’ Not so little Pippa Saunders piped in and looked to Darcy. Ever since she and her mum had got back from Thailand, the girls were inseparable. ‘Is that the birthday dress you told me about?’

‘Yeah, isn’t it gorgeous?’ Darcy gleamed and looked back at Ruby. ‘I helped Charlie pick it out you know. We went shopping with Bianca and everything. Do you like it?’

‘It really is gorgeous.’ Ruby agreed. ‘I love it.’

‘Come on, the sun’s about to go down. The sky looks really cool.’ Pippa grabbed Ruby by the hand and the chatty duo led her away leaving Charlie and Brax alone.

‘I didn’t know Darcy was coming.’ Charlie cuddled into her husband.

Brax kissed her forehead. ‘Yeah, Teagan wasn’t going to let her, but once she found out Sally was bringing Pippa, there was no choice. Darcy was adamant.’

‘Well, I’m glad she’s here. We don’t nearly get to spend enough time with her anymore.’ Charlie smiled and took Brax by the hand. ‘Come on barman, buy me a drink. I’m thirsty.’

‘Yes ma’am.’ Brax grabbed her by the waist and pushed her cheekily to the bar, passing the crowd.

April moved to make way for the couple as she chatted to Bianca. ‘Bianca, don’t worry. I’m sure Valen’s fine. There’s no need to harass the baby sitter.’

‘I don’t know.’ Bianca sighed. ‘He seemed really unsettled and upset. Maybe I should’ve stayed at home with him. What if he’s sick?’

‘He’s a baby. Babies fuss. Really, what are the chances of something going terribly wrong?’ April wanted to reassure her sister so she’d enjoy the party. Her nephew had been fussy plenty of times before for no reason, he was a baby.’

Bianca just sighed. Elsewhere, Brax had finished ordering the drinks and the couple leaned back against the bar, watching Aria entertain Alf as she sat on his lap.

‘I have to admit hubby, you pulled it off.’ Charlie commended as she watched the happy crowd. ‘This is a great party.’

‘Well, of course it is.’ Brax said matter-of-factly and sipped his beer. Charlie shook her head at the arrogance. ‘Only the best for my daughter.’

Charlie looked up in adoration when he called her his daughter. ‘I’m glad Ruby has you in her life. She really looks up to you.’

‘That’s all I can ask for.’ Brax took her by the waist and looked at her intently. ‘Charlie, we’re a family now, I just want what’s best for my family. You and me and the girls.’

‘That’s all I want too.’ Charlie held her wine in both hands. ‘After everything we’ve been through, it’s great to know Ruby finally has a father figure in her life that she can trust. Her real dad’s not much of a dad, so…’

‘I know.’ Brax kissed her forehead.

‘You do?’

‘Yeah, I do.’

The music changed to a rhythmic tune and Charlie took him by the hand. ‘Come on, dance with me. I love this song.’

‘You know I don’t dance.’ Brax pulled her back from the dance floor.

Charlie kept tugging and persisting. ‘You danced with me at our wedding.’

‘Yeah, remember what I did to your poor toes?’ Brax laughed, still reluctant. ‘You go, I’ll watch.’

‘Please?’ Charlie seductively leaned up close to his face so their breath meshed together. The action was enough to make any man’s heart beat faster.

‘I can’t.’ Brax was breathing rapidly and looked away from his wife’s piercing eyes. Why was it so hard to say to this particular woman?

‘You can’t?’ Charlie kissed him on the cheek and took Brax’ chin to make him look at her. ‘Oh you won’t? Dance with me.’

‘I…’ Brax was on the verge of complying but he got saved by the bell. Bianca tapped Charlie on the shoulder, breaking the hold she had over him.

‘Hey sorry to interrupt this…whatever but…’ Bianca had a worried look on her face. ‘Have you seen the birthday girl? The sitter called and I have to go.’

‘No, I haven’t.’ Charlie turned to face her, sensing her friend’s anxiety. ‘Is everything okay with Valen?’

‘Yeah, I’m sure it is. At least I hope it is.’ Bianca looked at the door rushed. ‘Listen, just tell Rubes happy birthday okay? I have to go.’

Bianca walked away, leaving Charlie perplexed. Brax kissed her forehead lovingly. ‘Don’t worry about it. I’m sure it’s all good. She’d say something if it wasn’t.’

‘I hope so.’ Charlie turned back around and resumed her smile. ‘Well hubby, song’s almost over. What’s the verdict? Are you going to dance with me or endure my wrath?’

Brax sighed and grinned. He’d thought he’d gotten away with it when Bianca had interrupted. Of course he wouldn’t be so lucky. With a sigh, he let himself reluctantly be led to the dance floor. He had no choice in the matter. He was in love.

THIRTEEN

‘You should have told me at the party. I’d have come with you.’ Charlie sat at the hospital waiting room and handed her friend a coffee.

‘And drag you away from your daughter’s birthday?’ Bianca smiled after pulling an all-nighter in the hospital. ‘Valen’s okay now, that’s all that matters. Sid said the ear infection was caught early so no hearing damage hopefully. Some drops should fix it right up.’

‘As long as he’s okay, that’s all that matters. Do you need a ride home?’

‘No, Heath’s signing the discharge papers now. And I drove here so...’ Bianca sighed. ‘I should have known he wasn’t feeling well. He was crying all day and not listening to anyone and...’

‘Hey,’ Charlie patted her back. ‘You can’t punish yourself for this. It’s no one’s fault. Sometimes nature goes its own way and there’s nothing you can do. You just have to take it as it goes.’

‘I know. You’re right. I just hate seeing him in pain like this.’ Bianca sipped her coffee.

‘Well, if all goes well, hopefully it won’t be for too much longer.’ Charlie smiled.

Sid walked up to them with Valen in his arms and Heath behind him. ‘All right, ready to go home with mummy, mate?’

Valen sniffled back a sob and held his arms out to his mum. ‘Mama, Ouchy!’

‘I know sweetie.’ Bianca lifted the boy into her arms as she stood up and put her coffee cup down. ‘You got an Ouchy but Dr Sid gave us medicine to make it all go away okay?’

‘And I even included a lollipop.’ Sid smiled and handed his patient a red lollipop. Valen looked at it with teary eyes for a while before snatching it and hiding his face in Bianca’s neck sadly.

‘Thanks Sid.’ Bianca smiled and peered down at her son. ‘You want to thank Dr Sid for your lollipop?’

Valen just sighed deeply and sobbed into her neck. Sid smiled appreciatively anyway. ‘Let’s hope we don’t see you here again mate.’

‘Thanks mate.’ Heath nodded his head as the doctor walked off.

‘Well, I think I’ll just leave you guys to it.’ Charlie leant over to kiss Valen on the cheek. ‘Be good for me handsome.’

‘Don’t worry Buckton, I’ll be an angel.’ Heath grinned cheekily, even though it was clearly not directed at him. Charlie and Bianca just looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

-----------------------------------------------

Ruby shuffled around the kitchen hurriedly and grabbed a bagel from the basket on the table. Pinching her bag off the chair, she hurried to the door just as Charlie walked in with a hospital coffee cup.

Ruby stopped in her tracks and scrunched up her face. ‘Gross, hospital coffee. You couldn’t have gotten it from the diner? Leah makes it so much better.’

‘Good afternoon Rubes. It’s great to see you too.’ Charlie sarcastically greeted her daughter. ‘Oh, you’re wondering how Valen is? He’s going to be alright, thanks for asking. He just got discharged from the hospital actually…’

‘Oh sorry, I didn’t say hello, did I? I’m just in a little bit of a rush.’ Ruby smiled sheepishly. ‘Hi Charlie. The little guys really okay?’

‘He will be.’ Charlie smiled. ‘Bianca took him to the emergency room at about three this morning when he started getting a fever. It’s gone down a bit now.’

‘Yeah, I just called Heath; he said he’s asleep now.’ Brax gave his two cents as he sat watching the afternoon game.

Ruby was on a mission to get to work on time. Clasping her hands together, she rushed her good byes. ‘Charlie, sorry to rush out but I love you and I’ll call you later, okay? Brax?’

Brax turned around on the couch and looked back at her. ‘Yeah?’

‘Brax, I want you to know I’m saying this out of the goodness of my heart, don’t ever dance in public again. Love you.’ Ruby shrugged her shoulders chirpily, kissed Charlie on the cheek and took a bite of her bagel as she skipped out of the house.

‘I wasn’t that bad last night, was I?’ Brax frowned.

Charlie smiled and moved behind the couch, gliding her arms down his chest from behind. ‘You were… very unique.’

‘And that’s spouse talk for bad.’ Brax turned back to the TV and turned up the volume. ‘You’re the one who made me do it.’

‘Honey, whatever your feet were doing last night was of its own volition. That was all you.’ Charlie kissed the side of his neck as she bent over and hugged him.

‘Well, I did it for you.’

‘And I love you for that.’ Charlie continued to leave pecks on his neck and cheek, grabbing the remote with her extended arm and turning down the volume. 'Very very much.'

‘Oi, turn that back up.’ Brax took the remote back and increased the volume back. ‘It’s an important game. I can’t miss it.’

‘Surely not as important as me?’ Charlie seductively nibbled on his ear. She reached back for the remote as she did so but Brax held it far out of her reach.

‘Can we do this after the game?’ Brax couldn’t decide what he wanted more. Football and his wife, two of the most important things in a man’s life, it was truly a cruel decision.

‘Now or never.’ Charlie clucked her tongue and bit her lip as she moved to the front of the couch and cuddled into her husband persuasively. ‘But if you don’t want to…’

‘No, that’s not it.’ Brax was a little too quick to correct her. He looked at the game clock which read a little past half time and back at Charlie who was lifting her yellow top over her head. ‘Aria could come out at any second.’

‘It’s her nap time. She’ll be down for at least another hour.’ Charlie wasn’t taking any excuses. ‘At least.’

Brax looked at his wife kneeling on the couch only in her bra and jeans. She had him hooked. Shaking his head, he made a show of turning off the TV and kissed her softly on the lips. ‘What the hell. It better be a great hour.’

‘Oh don’t worry.’ Charlie smiled triumphantly and started working on his plaid shirt. Moving closer to his face, she kissed him more deeply. ‘It’ll be well worth your while.’

FOURTEEN

‘Honey, how’re you feeling?’ Charlie whispered to Valen who was cuddled up in his miniature bed with red eyes and a redder nose. She kissed him on the forehead as she knelt. ‘You know I brought Aria with me. She brought you a special something to help you feel better.’

Bianca sat on the side and held her son as Aria walked up with a yellow big bird and a homemade card. ‘What’s that Aria’s got you?’

‘Get well soon!’ Aria threw the bird onto the bed and handed the sick boy the card but he didn’t take it out of fatigue. Charlie took it out of her daughter’s hand with a smile.

‘Look Valen, Aria drew you a pretty picture.’ Charlie opened the card to show him the incoherent scribble she’d made in the morning but he was too sick to react. ‘It’s a get well soon card.’

‘And what’s this? A toy chicken?’ Bianca held it up enthusiastically.

‘No!’ Aria looked up at the woman like she was crazy. ‘It Big Bird!’

‘Yeah, Bee, it’s big bird.’ Charlie couldn’t believe her friend didn’t know. ‘You know the crane thingy from Sesame Street?’

Bianca looked at the girls confused. ’No.’

Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘Sesame Street? Oh come on, don’t tell me you’ve never heard of it? What did you do as a child?’

‘I was more of a My Little Pony kind of girl.’ Bianca said defensively and kissed her son on the forehead as the women retreated from the room.

‘Well of course.’ Charlie shook her head as she closed the door after getting a glimpse of Aria chattering away to her cousin about nothing and everything. They started to Bianca’s room next door. ‘You’re seriously depriving that kid of yours. Sesame Street is the best. Almost as good as Barney.’

‘The purple dinosaur?’ Bianca shuddered at the thought. ‘Oh, that thing gives me the creeps. It’s always so…happy.’

‘Well I’m glad we met as adults.’ Charlie laughed and sat on her friend’s huge bed. ‘I think it’s fair to say we wouldn’t have made great friends as children. We’d have nothing to do.’

‘Yeah, it’s probably just as well.’ Bianca poked her cheekily as she lay on the bed. ‘We’d probably be fighting over the remote all the time anyway.’

‘Kind of like sisters.’ Charlie observed. ‘Of course I’d always win the remote battle.’

‘You wish Buckton.’ Bianca took a pillow and slapped her with it competitively. ‘As someone with a real sister, I’ll have you know I used to rock at hogging the TV when we were kids.’

‘Considering when you were twelve, April was about two, I think that’s just a little mean.’ Charlie joked and took the pillow off her and threw it back with force. ‘Hogging the TV from a baby, really?’

Bianca just glared at her best friend and sat up on her knees, eying the pillow in between them with a knowing glint in her eye. Pillow fight.

----------------------------------------------

‘Hang on, just a second.’ Charlie wrapped her blue nightgown over her body as she walked out into the lounge room and opened the front door to see who was knocking so early in the morning. ‘Oh, hello.’

‘Hi.’ Teagan smiled sheepishly with her arm tentatively around her daughter. ‘I know it’s…’

‘Hi Charlie!’ Darcy grinned and hugged the woman lovingly. ‘Is Aria awake?’

‘Hi honey. I’m not sure.’ Charlie chirped. ‘Why don’t you go to her room and check? Wake her up if she isn’t.’

As Darcy ran off into the hall, Charlie moved aside for Teagan to go in. Teagan took a deep breath as she nervously sat down on the couch. ‘You’re probably wondering why I’m here so early.’

‘The thought may have crossed my mind.’ Charlie sat beside the blonde woman and yawned.

‘I know what you think of me, you know.’ Teagan fiddled with her hands as she rambled. The Braxton house always made her uncomfortable these days. ‘That I’m a bad mother. I mean what kind of horrible person would just abandon their child like that right?’

‘Teagan, I don’t think you’re a horrible person.’ Charlie acknowledged sympathetically.

‘Then you’re even more of a saint than I thought you were.’ Teagan smirked. ‘I didn’t mean to do it. I just thought she’d be better off. I’m such a mess and then there’s you, you’re smart, beautiful and so obviously born to be a mother and even Brax can see that, he never saw it in me. And Brax… well, you know Brax, he would love Darcy unconditionally.’

‘You came back. You’ve been back for three months now and that’s all Darcy ever needed. Her mum to love her and take care of her. Not some replacement.’ Charlie was glad she was finally opening up after being uncomfortable and closed off for so many weeks.

‘Yeah, I guess.’ Teagan took a deep breath and stood up abruptly. ‘He really loves you, you make him more happy than I’ve ever seen him. I mean it.’

‘That’s good to know.’ Charlie stood up with her and smiled encouragingly.

‘I thought maybe you could watch Darcy for a little while.’ Teagan asked. ‘I have a job interview in Yabee Creek, it’s last minute and I would’ve given you more notice but you seemed to be okay with…’

‘Go to your interview.’ Charlie tole her. ‘She’ll be fine.’

‘I’ll come back this time. I promise.’

‘I have no doubt.’ The women walked over to the door.

‘Charlie?’ Charlie looked at Teagan. ‘Thanks for this. And everything else.’

‘You’re welcome.’ When Teagan had left, Charlie sighed and peeked into Aria’s room to check on the girls.

‘This is the letter ‘A’ okay Aria?’ Darcy pointed at the little portable whiteboard on the floor where she’d drawn the letter in marker. Charlie looked at the marker in the eleven year old girl’s hand. The label read permanent. Well, there goes a perfectly good whiteboard.

‘A?’ Aria looked up solemnly and shook her head eagerly. ‘No!’

‘Naughty, naughty. Yes it is. A for Aria.’ Darcy applauded as she went over the letter she’d drawn again. ‘I should know. I’ll be in grade six next year. That’s almost high school.’

‘No, no, no.’ Aria chimed lyrically. She looked up towards the door and smiled as she finally noticed. ‘Mama!’

Darcy looked to the door as well. ‘Oh hi Charlie. Aria doesn’t know the alphabet.’

‘Well, she’s two. You can’t expect her to know everything.’ Charlie smiled.

‘Yeah, I guess.’ Darcy capped the lid. ‘I’m going to be a teacher when I’m older you know. I have to start now.’

‘Good for you honey.’ Charlie leaned against the door. ‘You girls hungry? Want some breakfast?’

‘Not you!’ Aria chirped.

Charlie rolled her eyes at her criticism of her cooking. ‘Okay, I’ll get daddy to make it then.’

‘Thanks Charlie.’ Darcy returned to the little whiteboard as the adult walked back out. ‘Okay, Aria you want to try?’

Aria took the marker off the older girl and scribbled half dozen circles on the page. ‘A.’

‘Not exactly.’ Darcy bit her lip. Who knew teaching could be so hard.

Thanks for the comments, here's the next one.

FIFTEEN

‘Quietly. I won’t be long.’ Bianca told her friend as she snuck up to her unsuspecting sleeping son and knelt by his bed. Taking the cloth, he cleaned around the ear gently so as not to wake him.

‘You do this every day?’ Charlie whispered as quietly as she could.

‘I tried doing it when he was awake but he cried like it was the end of the world.’ Bianca opened the ear drop bottle and administered the medication slowly. ‘It’s easier this way.’

‘He seems more peaceful.’ Charlie observed as Bianca got up and quietly started heading back to the door. Closing it noiselessly, she smiled.

‘Yeah, the drops seem to be working. Only a couple more doses, Sid said.’

‘That’s great.’ Charlie bumped into the banister and accidently dropped the things in her hand. ‘Whoops.’

‘You know a hand bag wouldn’t kill you one of these days.’ Bianca bent to help her pick it up from the stairs.

‘I don’t like handbags. I don’t really use them much anyway, only to carry Aria’s things.’ Charlie gratefully took the phone and letters from her friend. ‘Thanks.’

‘Why are you carrying your mail around?’ They started walking again.

‘Oh, I just ran into Morag earlier on her way back to the city and she gave me that letter.’ Charlie sighed as she sat on the couch, placing her phone, purse, letter and novel beside her. ‘It’s just a piece of paper saying my dad’s access to the storage unit has expired and everything needs to be removed. Old childhood things from when Ruby and I were little so Morag gave it to me.’

‘Ooh, are there pictures in this storage unit?’ Bianca rested her feet on the coffee table with a smile. ‘I bet you were a cute baby.’

‘Even if there is, I wouldn’t show you.’ Charlie mock punched her. ‘It’s too embarrassing.’

‘Oh don’t be like that.’ Bianca laughed. ‘When you empty all those boxes, you can bet I’ll be there to rummage through it all. We’re bound to find some embarrassing childhood thing of yours I can hold against you forever.’

‘Remind me to lock my doors.’ Charlie joked. ‘No, it’ll be good to have all my things again. Show Brax my youth. Maybe I’ll find some old toys or something of mine for Aria.’

‘Well, if you find something for Valen while you’re at it…’ Bianca implied.

‘Yes Bee. You’ll be the first port of call.’ Charlie assured.

--------------------------------------------

‘Are we moving?’ Brax walked in after the lunch shift to find his house filled to the brim with full cardboard boxes. ‘And if we are, why did no one tell me?’

‘We’re not moving, goof.’ Charlie gasped as she tried miserably to push a twenty pound box across the floor and stood up to wipe the sweat on her forehead with the sleeve. Heath, who was watching TV on the couch, made no move to help. ‘I told you this morning, I’m emptying the stuff my dad put in storage. If you’re done staring around, a little chivalry from my husband would be greatly appreciated.’

Brax got the message and moved over to her. Grabbing the box she was pushing with the ease of a built man, he carried it to the hall. Charlie smiled. ‘In our room. Thank you.’

‘When you said a few boxes of memorabilia, I wasn’t expecting two dozen.’ Brax called out from the bedroom.

Charlie started ripping the tape of another lighter box in the lounge room. ‘Well, you can’t put a number on my childhood. It’s the quality that counts not quantity.’

Heath smirked and sipped his beer. ‘Ah, so sentimental.’

Charlie frowned at the remark as she stood up. Turning around, she found Brax leaning against the brick kitchen wall with a knowing smile and his hand behind him. ‘What?’

‘Nothing.’ Brax smirked cheekily. Casually, he retrieved the object from behind his back that he’d found in the box and fiddled with it. ‘You know I think she’s a little girly for my bedroom.’

‘Our bedroom, it’s not just yours. I can whatever I like in there.’ Charlie’s eyes widened in shock and she jumped over to him and tried to grab the object but Brax held it high out of her reach. ‘Brax, give her back. I mean it.’

‘I will.’ Brax challenged her and played with the doll’s blonde ringlets.

‘Brax if you don’t give it to me, I’ll be really upset.’ Charlie whined in avoidance of that question and the look on her face was of distress as she stomped her foot. It was her favourite doll.

‘Ooh, I bet he’s terrified.’ Heath turned his head away from the game to see what was going on and laughed. ‘Oi Buckton, aren’t you a little old for dollies? Come on, spill her name.’

‘If you must know, she’s a one of a kind.’ Charlie clarified defensively. ‘Why are you even here anyway? You don’t even live here.’

‘Yeah, but the beer’s good.’ Heath held up his bottle as proof. It was the same beer he had at home but hey. ‘And my TV doesn’t have cable.’

‘He’s kidding. He just misses his big bro eh.’ Brax smirked.

Charlie turned back to Brax desperately and tried to seduce him into giving it to her. Moving closer, she ran her hand down his chest. ‘Please…? For me?’

‘Sure.’ Brax was enjoying having the upper hand. She could persuade him to part an ocean with that body but now it was on his terms. ‘But you got to tell me her name first.’

Charlie sighed and looked back at Heath. When she was sure that his attention was solely on the game and not their conversation, she turned back and mumbled something incoherently.

‘I’m sorry, I didn’t hear that. You’re going to have to speak louder.’ Brax asked her politely wondering what would make her so reluctant.

‘Princess Cutie pie?’ Charlie mumbled again under her breath but Brax still couldn’t hear so she said it louder and held out her hand defensively. ‘It’s Princess Cutie-pie okay? Now can you please give her back?’

Heath burst out into laughter. ‘Oh that’s hilarious.’

‘I was five.’ Charlie glared, her cheeks turning beetroot red.

‘What do you say Princess Cutie pie?’ Brax turned the doll to face him and spoke to it. ‘You want to go back to mummy?’ His hands made the doll’s head shake and he turned back to his wife. ‘I don’t think she wants to.’

‘Oh please.’ Charlie snatched the doll back and hugged it and kissed her on the forehead protectively.

‘Mama it’s a dolly!’ Aria walked out into the lounge from her room to find her mum hugging a doll and immediately grinned. Running up, she held her hands out eagerly thinking it was for her. ‘Come play dolly.’

Charlie looked dismayed when she realised what her daughter wanted. Looking down at Aria, she hugged her toy hard, afraid to let go. Looking back and forth between the two loves, she was torn. Aria looked up at her mum expectantly. ‘Mama gimme!’

Charlie looked at Brax who just leant his shoulder against the wall casually trying to stifle a smile. Aria’s beady green eyes stared up at her mother innocently. She was in quite a predicament.

Thanks for the comments :) Thought I'd post the next one a little earlier.

SIXTEEN

Aria ran up to Bianca and showed her the newest toy in her collection. ‘Look Bee-Bee!’

Bianca looked down at the little thing crawling up her leg and smiled. The blonde Shirley Temple doll was adorable with her cute little ringlets and puffy pink dress. ‘Wow, she’s so cute. What’s her name?’

‘Tinker-bell.’ Aria chirped and swayed cutely before running back to the little tea party set she’d created on the floor.

Charlie watched with sad envious eyes as her daughter merrily let “Tinker-bell” sip her imaginary tea and sighed loudly.

‘Why so sad, missing your Princess, are you?’ Bianca grinned knowingly and teased her.

‘You have to use the full name.’ Charlie shook off the feeling and turned back to Bianca. ‘’Her name’s not just Princess, it’s… never mind. How do you know this?’

‘It’s Summer Bay. You know small town gossip.’ Bianca sifted through the photographs in her hand. ‘Well, and then there’s Heath.’

‘I should’ve known he wouldn’t keep quiet about something like that.’ Charlie mumbled and whined. ‘She’s so attached to the doll already. I don’t have the heart to take it back. It’s like taking candy from a baby.’

‘She’ll tire of it eventually. Aria’s a kid. Kids get bored easily.’

You don’t tire of Prin… Her.’ Charlie couldn’t bring herself to say the name out of embarrassment. ‘She tires of you. She’s special.’

‘I don’t quite understand how a doll can tire of a person but okay.’ Bianca giggled and went back to looking at the pictures. ‘If you say so, Charlie’

‘I do.’ Charlie said defensively. She looked back enviously at Aria who was cradling “Tinker-bell” and singing her to sleep and sighed loudly again.

‘Oh, you look so cute in this one.’ Bianca cooed and pointed to one. She had finally gotten into her friend’s stash of baby pictures much to her dismay and she loved every minute of it. ‘You look just like Aria.’

‘Aria looks just like me.’ Charlie remembered the day the picture was taken. She had been five and it was the day her grandma had given her the Shirley Temple doll. She had slept with it every night and it had to be pried out of her hands when she took a bath. They had once been inseparable.

Charlie supposed if she’d want anyone else to have the doll it would be her own daughter. She just hadn’t anticipated the good bye would hurt so much and could only hope Aria didn’t rip its head off like one unfortunate barbie in the toy chest. Bianca flipped slowly through the photos as she watched on.

‘Who’s this?’ Bianca pointed to a boy in a picture. Charlie looked at it; it was taken when she was at a party as a teenager. Pursing her lips, she took the picture away discretely hoping her friend didn’t notice the deterrence.

‘Oh, that’s just some guy I used to know.’ She smiled and quickly diverted her attention. She pointed to another picture of her holding Ruby at the hospital nine months after that party. ‘Look how cute Rubes was as a baby.’

Bianca cooed at the picture and Charlie took a breath of relief. The photograph of that party felt like hot iron on her skin against the thigh she’d hidden it under.

---------------------------

Charlie sat on the back porch and watched the flames in the bin destroy all the evidence from that horrific period in her life. Taking one glance at the party photo Bianca had asked about earlier, she placed it face down into the bin and watched the edges burn and curl. That was the last of it. Immediately she felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulder.

‘I hope you’re not burning the naked ones of you I keep hoping you secretly have.’ Brax bent down to kiss the back of her forehead jokingly as he peered into the bin but the photos were all charred beyond recognition. ‘Because those are the ones I really want to see eh.’

‘I’m sorry to disappoint but those are ones that’ll never exist.’ Charlie turned and smiled. Men, they were all the same in one way or another. ‘No, just some unfortunate memories I want to get rid of once and for all.’

‘You feel better now?’ Brax asked and she nodded. ‘Good. Are you coming to bed soon?’

‘Yeah, in a second’ Charlie smiled and leaned up to kiss him. ‘We can make some real memories worth remembering.’

Brax smiled at the implication and went back inside. Charlie sat there for a moment longer in the dark just gazing at fire, thinking how lucky she was that her life had turned out this way after everything she’d been through.

Returning to her bedroom after putting out the fire, she found Brax sitting up against the head board flicking through an old photo album from the storage unit. Charlie went to the dresser and began to change out of her day clothes. ‘Anything interesting in there?’

Brax smiled as he looked at the strange couple that were his parents-in-law smiling in the photo. On Ross’ lap was an eight year old Charlie. ‘You think your folks would’ve liked me?’

‘They’d have loved you.’ Charlie’s answer was immediate as she slipped the white top over her head and threw it in the laundry bin. ‘Well, eventually. Eventually, they’d have loved you.’

‘Once your dad realised he doesn’t need to throw me in jail, you mean?’ Brax turned a page.

‘Yeah, it’s something like that.’ Done changing, Charlie ran the brush through her silky hair for a second before getting under the sheets. Taking the album from her husband’s hand expectantly, she put it on the bedside table and turned off the light before curling herself around his strong muscly body.

‘I don’t really want to talk about my parents right now.’ Charlie whispered slowly as she ran her palm up his chest. ‘Actually, I don’t really want to talk very much at all.’

‘Are you not wearing what I think you’re not wearing?’ Brax gazed into her green eager eyes as she lay in his arms in the dim night light.

‘If you mean nothing then yes, I suppose I am.’ Charlie kissed his lips softly and tenderly while moving her naked body on top of him. Brax couldn’t help but smile as their kiss deepened. This was one memory he wouldn’t forget anytime soon.

Thanks for the reviews yet again! :D

Brax was told about her past when Charlie was pregnant with Aria way back in the beginning, it was a very brief mention

SEVENTEEN

‘Hello mate, feeling better are you?’ Charlie bent down and greeted the little boy.

‘Uh huh.’ Valen nodded his head shyly and returned to playing. Next to him, Aria stood hugging her new doll with both arms tightly.

‘He’s been doing great.’ Bianca took another piece of pizza from the box as they sat near the window at Angelo’s for lunch. ‘So did Brax tell you what the boys have planned?’

‘Yeah. I don’t know why though.’ Charlie sipped her wine in between bites. ‘There are waves in Summer Bay. I don’t see why they have to go to some secluded beach in the bush to do it.’

‘It’s a guy thing.’ Bianca shook her head. ‘Liam’s going camping with them too. He hasn’t even been surfing for that long.’

‘Drew, VJ, Heath, Valen, Aria…’ Charlie counted the number of people on her fingers.

‘Aria? I thought it was a boys only camping trip.’

‘It is but Aria threw a little tantrum when she found out daddy was taking Valen camping and not her.’ Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘You know Brax; he’s hopeless when she gives him those big puppy dog eyes. He can’t say no to her.’

‘I don’t see why it should be so hard. I bet she says no to him all the time.’ Bianca observed. ‘But at least you can have some alone time this way.’

‘Aria seems to say no to everyone these days.’

‘Well, if the boys can have fun so can we.’ Bianca declared. ‘We are having a girl only weekend. The kids will be with the boys so it’ll be perfect.’

Charlie looked over at the kids who were playing beside them. Valen was trying to get a hold of Charlie’s doll but Aria was running away. The two ran circles around their mums’ table. ‘You know what, that sounds perfect.’

April walked into the restaurant and smiled when she saw her sister. ‘Hey guys what’s up!’

‘Apel!’ The kids noticed her immediately and ran up to hug her leg and made her laugh.

‘We were just talking about a girls night actually.’ Bianca looked up at her. ‘You in?’

‘I don’t know. I have to do work for med school…’ April made excuses.

‘I thought first year exams were over. It’s the Christmas holidays isn’t it?’ Charlie asked.

‘Yeah, but I have to go over next year’s workload before the new semester starts. You can never be too prepared.’ April looked a little stressed.

‘One night away from the books won’t kill you.’ Charlie assured her. 'We'll invite Ruby too.'

‘If anything it’ll do you some good.’ Bianca knew she had to get her sister to have some fun.

‘I guess. Okay, I’ll be there.’ April was still a little unsure.

She felt a tug on her leg and looked down to see Aria. ‘Look Apel. It Tinker-bell.’

‘Wow! She’s super cute Ari.’ April smiled as the little girl held up her doll for show eagerly.

Charlie sighed loudly as her daughter kissed the doll lovingly.

-------------------------------------------------

Charlie sat Aria in her lap on the couch while she played with Tinker-bell’s hair. ‘Honey, be careful with the hair. Please.’

‘She’s corchus.’ Aria chimed happily, not skipping a beat.

‘Yes she is. She’s very gorgeous.’ Charlie hugged her daughter and spoke into her shoulder. ‘Aria, Princess Cuti- I mean Tinker-bell- is very special to mummy okay? I need you to be very careful and take extra special care of her. Can you do that for me?’

Aria continued to smooth the doll’s pink frilly dress, barely paying attention.

‘Sweetie, you understand don’t you?’ Charlie asked again. ‘There’s going to be a lot of sand and salty water on the beach, you need to be careful. You’ll treat her like a princess?’

‘She is pincess.’ Aria confirmed. ‘A fairy pincess.’

‘Yes. Yes she is.’ Charlie kissed the back of her hair and called it quits. Looking behind her, she saw Brax coming out with a green duffel bag, packed for his camping trip on the beach. ‘Are you all done?’

‘Yeah.’ Brax surveyed the supplies, mentally going through his checklist with his hands on his hips. He looked up at Charlie. ‘Aria ready?’

‘Yeah. Her little suitcase is all packed and ready to go.’ She smiled as Aria got off her lap and began to comb the doll’s hair on the coffee table. Getting up, she moved over to her husband. ‘Listen, if Aria tries to teach the doll how to swim or something…’

‘I’ll take care of both your little girls.’ Brax kissed Charlie on the forehead lovingly. ‘I promise. You just have fun with the big girls.’

‘You’ll take care of yourself too?’ Charlie’s forehead crinkled with worry. ‘I’ve heard stories, it’s a dangerous beach and…’

‘Charlie, you worry too much.’ Brax reassured her. ‘I’ll be careful. I’ll make sure the kids are safe in the water, make sure your little doll’s safe out of the water, and keep everyone fed and happy.’

‘And you’ll make sure you’re being safe in the water too. I worry when you surf.’ Charlie pouted and hugged him. ‘All that water and moving.’

Brax sighed and kissed her hair. ‘You know, I think you worry more about me than my own mother does.’

‘I can’t help it. I love you.’ Charlie whispered into his chest.

‘Love you too Mama!’ Aria yelled out from the coffee table and her parents laughed.

‘She’s a smart kid, that one.’ Brax took her by the shoulders and moved her back gently so she was looking up at him. ‘Now, anything else you’re worried about or can we go camping now?’

‘If you promise to come back.’ Charlie smiled. She always felt comfortable with him.

‘You say that like I have a choice.’ Brax grinned. ‘I love you don’t I?’

Here's the next update

EIGHTEEN

‘Bye boys!’ Charlie and the girls waved the boys off as they drove away on their camping trip.

‘And Aria.’ Ruby shouted after so she didn’t feel left out in the goodbye. ‘Boys and Aria.’

‘Yes. And Aria.’ Once the cars had disappeared into the horizon, the girls went back into the Braxton house and Charlie shut the door purposefully behind them and turned around. ‘So, it’s just us.’

‘It is.’ Bianca observed as she sat on the couch in the quiet empty house.

‘So now what?’ Ruby curled her feet up under her as she sat down, wondering what to do. The two women looked lost so she turned to the all intelligent April. ‘April?’

‘Hmmm?’ April was standing behind the couch reading something intently on her iPhone. Without looking up, she scrolled down her screen. ‘Did you say something?’

‘What’re you up to on that thing?’ Bianca rolled her eyes and snatched the phone off her sister. Seeing the eBook on the screen, she glared up at her. ‘The fundamentals of cardiothoracics? I thought we agreed no studying.’

‘It’s just a little light reading.’ April took her phone back defensively.

‘Honey, Dr Suess is light reading.’ Charlie laughed as she walked over to the kitchen. ‘Heart surgery is a tad more complicated.’

‘I agree.’ Ruby yawned. ‘I don’t even know how to say that word.’

‘It’s…’ April started to explain but was quickly shut down.

‘Enough of that.’ Bianca pouted. ‘There had to be something we can do. We sitting here in the quiet like idiots while the boys are out having fun is just pathetic.’

‘We could watch a movie.’ Charlie suggested as she headed back out of the kitchen with a glass of water.

‘Ooh, there’s 10 things I hate about you.’ Ruby sat up with a smile.

‘Ouch, do I want to hear them?’ Charlie feigned offence.

‘No I love everything about you. I mean the movie. With Heath Ledger?’ Ruby glared at her.

‘Yeah, we could have a marathon of Heath Ledger movies.’ Bianca suggested. She looked sideways at her sister now sitting next to her who was attempting to sneak a studying session on her phone. ‘Put one on. I’ll get drinks.’

‘Hey!’ April whined as her sister confiscated the phone off her and placed it on the counter.

‘No buts. It’s for your own good.’ Bianca smiled as she stood up and walked to the kitchen ‘Right Buckton, where do you keep the booze?’

‘Same place it’s been for the last two years.’ Charlie pointed out as she turned on the DVD player.

Bianca rolled her eyes and pragmatically headed over to the bottom cupboard and took out a bottle of vodka. Holding out the bottle. ‘Who want’s martinis?’

‘Me!’ The girls put their hand up eagerly and laughed. If the boys were having their outdoor fun without them, they could have a great night in.

------------------------------------------

The sun was well and truly up in the sky by the time Charlie woke up the next afternoon and her head was pounding like a drum as she groaned. Lifting her head up off Bianca’s lap, she looked around to the empty martini jugs –yes, plural-, glasses, wet tissues and DVD cases lying around. It was a mess.

Plopping her head back down on Bianca’s lap, she looked up and saw that her friend was fast asleep with her head hung down uncomfortably. She covered her eyes against the light with her forearm as she vaguely remembered the all-nighter they’d pulled watching Ledger classics, laughing, chatting and dancing away til dawn. April and Ruby hadn’t left until about 3 in the morning.

‘You awake?’ Charlie grunted sleepily trying to ignore the throbbing hang over.

‘Don’t talk so loud.’ Bianca groaned with her eyes closed and pushed away half-heartedly.

‘It’s so sad about Heath. You know, that he’s dead.’ Charlie gloomed in a whisper. ‘Remember cute Scotty Irwin, way back in the day.’

‘I know.’ Bianca moaned along. ‘He was my favourite. Such a bad boy.’

‘I love bad boys.’ Charlie dreamed with her eyes closed, unaware that her husband was just returning from his trip with a sleeping Aria in his arms. Hearing his wife speaking, Brax stood outside for a second longer. ‘Especially Heath. He was always my secret fantasy.’

‘Mine too.’ Bianca smiled and laid her head on a pillow to rest her sore neck and Brax frowned in confusion. Quietly opening the door, he tiptoed in so as not to alert the women and so he could hear more.

‘Yeah, Heath could play the bad boy but he wasn’t bad at all in real life. I reckon he had the biggest heart.’ Charlie took a cushion and put it over her face, not liking with the bright light emanating from the window.

Unbeknownst to the women, Brax stood a few feet behind the couch trying to understand if he could possibly be hearing right. Shaking his head, he couldn’t imagine a reality where Charlie and Bianca would be swooning over his idiot little brother. He opened his mouth to announce his presence but then looking around in confusion and noticing the cocktail glasses, decided to put it down to them being drunk and went to put Aria down in her bedroom.

‘Yeah, Heath would be such a softie.’ Bianca agreed and rubbed her temples to dull out the hang over pain with her eyes closed. ‘Remember Brokeback Mountain? That was just heart breaking.’

Brokeback Mountain, the movie that had resulted in so many tissues the previous night. They had watched the budding romance twice and wailed their eyes out.

‘Heath was really cute in that.’ Charlie prayed her head would quit throbbing. Of course, she didn’t realise that Heath Braxton had walked into the house and was standing right where Brax had been only a second ago. Charlie continued ‘I just want to give that guy a big bear hug and tell him how amazing he is.’

Heath grinned at the comment as he stood behind the couch where Bianca and Charlie lay. The smile on his face was smug and opened his mouth to make some cheeky comment and changed his mind, hoping they’d boost his ego a little more.

Bianca continued, a little sob building up in her throat as she remembered the woes of the character. ‘He was so adorable. That smile!’

‘Forget the smile. That butt!’ Charlie chimed in and the girls laughed in between sobs unaware that Heath’s grin was just endlessly stretching with arrogance behind them. ‘That perfectly chiselled muscle. I just wanted to grab it and...’

‘And that chest!’ Bianca swooned as she wiped her eyes, stopping Charlie in her roaming thoughts. ‘That chest could crush me into tiny little fragments and I would indulge in every second of it.’

‘You know, I kind of thought Jake had a hotter chest.’ Charlie spoke of Jake Gyllenhaal. Heath frowned thinking they were talking about Jake Pirovic. He opened his mouth to protest and reaffirm his male superiority but Bianca spoke first.

‘Maybe. They’re both sexy as hell really. Heath and Jake.’

At that point Brax silently made his way to his brother and Heath looked at him questioningly. What the hell? He silently mouthed to him. Brax just shrugged and shook his head like the women had lost their minds. Heath folded his arms, Brax put his hands on his hips and both watched the backs of the women as they spoke obliviously.

‘No, it’s Heath all the way for me.’

‘He’s love of my life. If the opportunity presented itself, I’d hook him in a heartbeat.’ Charlie dreamed.

‘What about Brax?’ Bianca laughed. Behind them, Brax glared intently waiting for the answer while Hath shrugged to his brother with a smirk. Yeah, what about Brax?

‘Who needs Brax when you have Heath, he was so versatile.’ Charlie joked. ‘He’s an evil joker, a bad boy loner, a handsome knight and the most heart breaking of all…’

‘A gay cowboy.’ The girls sighed at the same time and Charlie felt a tear drop. ‘I miss him so much.’

Heath and Brax looked at each other in confusion. Heath’s grin had finally dissipated as he moved closer to the couch with a frown. ‘I’m a what?’

Charlie and Bianca finally opened their eyes, braving the sunlight. Looking at each other, they burst into laughter as they realised what was happening. Heath demanded defensively. ‘What’s so funny?’

‘Nothing.’ Charlie couldn’t control her laughter as she sat up, even though the movement increased her headache. ‘It’s just…’

‘Heath Ledger not Heath Braxton.’ Bianca clarified with a grin. ‘Brokeback Mountain?’

‘I can’t believe you thought we’d talk about you like that.’

‘I didn’t!’ Heath pouted defensively.

‘Yeah.’ Brax pouted as well and fidgeting with his hand feeling stupid, he went back into the hall with need for something to do.

The girls smiled at the case of mistaken identity. As if!

Thanks for the comments :P Hope you like this next one

NINETEEN

‘Bye Brax, we’re going.’ Charlie kissed him on the cheek as he ate his breakfast before walking over to Bianca with her phone and keys in hand.

‘Going where?’ Brax mumbled with his mouth full.

‘Oh, you know.’ Bianca smiled. ‘Heath’s expecting us.’

‘Yeah, we wanted to remind him how madly in love we’re with him.’ Charlie giggled and teased as her husband’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment. ‘You don’t mind, do you?’

‘Why would I mind?’ Brax faked a smile forcefully mid-pout. So much for hoping they’d forget about the little embarrassing misunderstanding.

Charlie took Bianca’s hand and they went out the door to the blue car and got in. ‘Are you ever going to stop teasing him?’

‘Eventually,’ Charlie pulled out of the drive way. ‘But right now, I’m having too much fun with it.’

‘Me too,’ Bianca agreed. ‘You don’t think we’re being too hard on them?’

The girls looked at each other and shook their heads at the same time. ‘No!’ Charlie paused at a traffic light. ‘Brax should know me better than to ever think such a horrible thought. He’s the only one for me.’

‘You’re right, he should.’ Bianca smiled. ‘Did he tell you about the camping trip? It sounded like a success. Everyone got home in one piece.’

‘Yeah, thank god. I was so worried about that little doll.’ Charlie agreed and put the car in drive again as the light turned green.

‘I really hope doll is meant as a pet name for Aria and not the toy.’ Bianca shook her head. ‘You know it’s just a doll right?’

‘Right, I know that.’ Charlie scoffed. She had been so relieved to see the doll had all its limbs after the trip but quickly changed the subject. ‘So, how’s your life?’

‘I’m living.’ Bianca looked over at her friend. ‘And dying to go shopping, are we there yet?’

‘Honestly, you’re worse than Aria.’ Charlie sighed. ‘We’re not even on the highway yet.’

‘Well, you’re lucky she’s doesn’t get car sick every time she goes for a ride.’ Bianca crinkled her face. ‘I swear the amount of cleaner I have used on my car seats over the last two years…’

‘I get the picture, it’s not pretty.’

‘No, it’s not.’ Bianca agreed.

‘So, what’re you doing for Christmas?’ Charlie inquired hopefully.

‘Nothing’s come up yet.’

‘Well in that case, I’ve been meaning to ask you…’ Charlie started.

‘Ask away.’

‘Well…’ Charlie seemed hesitant as she rambled on. ‘How would you and Liam like to have Christmas dinner at my house? Irene and April are invited too.’

‘I’d love to.’ Bianca seemed pleased and the driver sighed in relief. ‘I love eating Brax’ cooking’

‘Actually, it would be my cooking.’ Charlie gulped as she saw Bianca’s smile disappear into worry and rambled again to justify herself. It was a good thing they were in a car; no way for her to escape. ‘You know those cooking classes you signed me up for are really great and they’ve been helping me heaps. Even ask Brax, he’ll agree with me. I’m getting much better in the kitchen, you’ll see.’

‘Will I?’ Bianca sounded sceptical.

‘Yes. You will.’ Charlie sounded resolved.

‘Well, I guess we’d love spend the holidays with you.’ Bianca smiled nervously a little unsure and hoped to salvage Christmas. ‘Maybe I could come over early and help with the cooking?’

‘No.’ Charlie gleamed with happiness and refused the suggestion, much to Bianca’s disappointment. ‘You’ll see. It’ll be the best Christmas ever. This is going to be great.’

Bianca bit her lip as she forced her smile. She sure hoped so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Charlie’s Xmas invite. Is it safe?

Brax looked down at the text on his phone and laughed quietly to himself at the worry over Charlie’s cooking skills. He’d received a similar response from Heath earlier. Charlie looked at him and frowned. ‘What’s so funny?’

‘Nothing,’ Brax shook his head and answered Bianca. Yes. It’s safe. Putting his phone away, he moved over to the couch and kissed both his girls on the head as he sat down. ‘What’re we watching?’

‘Barney.’ With Tinker-bell in her arms, Aria moved over to sit on her dad’s lap.

‘We won’t be for long, will we? It’s bed time soon.’

‘No it not,’ Aria shook her head and cuddled into Brax.

‘Yes it is.’ Charlie smiled firmly. ‘You know it is. You can choose what book to read before bedtime.’

They sat quietly until Barney sang his goodnight song on the screen and faded away into black. Charlie sat up straighter. ‘All right, let’s go gorgeous. Time for bed,’

‘No. No it not,’ Aria smiled and shook her head vigorously before hiding in her dad’s chest.

Charlie sighed. ‘Come on, which pyjamas do you want to wear? Elmo or Barney?’

Aria looked at her mum’s firm face solemnly and sighed when she realised she wouldn’t budge and looking up with her most innocent looking puppy dog eyes at Brax, she whispered with a pout. ‘Daddy?’

‘Personally, I like the Elmo ones eh.’ Brax pretended she was asking about the pyjamas with a grin.

‘Daddy?’ Aria bit her lip and whispered again, now sneaking in closer to him and putting an arm around his chest lovingly.

Brax looked down at his sweet face of his cunning little daughter and looked up at Charlie inquiringly. Charlie shook her head firmly at him. ‘No Brax. It’s bedtime.’

‘Sorry kid. I tried my best.’ Brax ruffled her brown wavy bob. ‘Come on before mummy gets mad at both of us.’

‘No.’ Aria hugged tighter with tears in her eyes and moulded herself into him. ‘Please daddy?’

‘Daddy needs to sleep too.’ Charlie stroked her daughter’s back but she pulled away to Brax. Tonight, she was the bad cop.

‘No he don’t,’ Aria looked up at her daddy who nodded sympathetically.

‘Afraid so. I’ve had a big day.’ Brax yawned elaborately, receiving an approving look from Charlie.

After some coaxing, Aria managed to be bathed, brushed and dressed in her pyjamas. They’d even read green eggs and ham twice. Just as Brax was about to leave, the little girl spoke out. ‘Again!’

‘No. It’s bedtime. We can read it tomorrow night.’ Charlie kissed her on the forehead.

‘Daddy?’ Aria yearned desperately, ignoring her mother.

‘Tomorrow.’ Brax kissed her on the forehead as well before placing the book on the bedside table and moving to the door. Just as they were about to close the door behind them, a little voice spoke again.

‘Daddy?’

Charlie had already left so Brax turned around. ‘Yes gorgeous?’

‘Love you!’ Aria smiled.

‘Love you too.’ Brax smiled and again began to go out.

‘Daddy?’ There it was again.

‘Yes gorgeous?’ Brax sighed, getting impatient.

‘Nighty nite.’ Aria waved softly as she cuddled her doll.

‘Night Aria.’ Rolling his eyes, he again moved to close the door behind him.

‘Wait!’ Aria called out again and Brax poked his head in impatiently. ‘Hug?’

Sighing, Brax smiled and walked into give a hug. When he started to move away, the girl held on tight, not wanting to let go. He removed her hands and tucked her in firmly. ‘Now go to sleep. I’ll see you in the morning.’

Brax had almost closed the door, when that exasperating sound emanated from within the room again.

‘Daddy!’ His daughter’s voice was now much louder and desperate as she realised he was leaving but Brax didn’t open the door again, only left it a little ajar.

‘Good night Aria!’ He called out from the hall and walked away, getting annoyed by her little excuses. ‘Bed time.’

‘Daddy! Daddy? Daddy?’ Aria’s voice grew softer with each word as she put the blanket up onto her shoulders. The room was dark now; apart from the streak of light through the half open door and the moon. With a scared whimper, she began to devise a plan to get her father into the room again.

‘Daddy?’ She whimpered into the dark yet again, tears welling up in her eyes. But daddy was gone. Aria was all alone once again, in the dark with the monsters that lurked in the dim moonlight. It was just her against the unknown.

TWENTY

‘You didn’t get much sleep last night?’ Bianca inquired, noticing the rings under her friend’s eyes.

‘Not a wink. The little one kept us up all night.’ Charlie yawned. ‘Well, she kept Brax up; it’s all about daddy all the time these days.’

‘Bad dreams?’

‘Monsters.’ Charlie shook her head. ‘In the closet, under the bed, out the window, behind the chair, oh and my favourite, on the ceiling. And when Brax wouldn’t go to her rescue, she’d cry. It was lucky the Palmers didn’t start knocking on our door.’

‘Fussy or scared?’ Bianca sipped her coffee.

‘It’s so hard to tell sometimes. I hope she’s genuinely scared and not being cheeky.’ Charlie leaned against the beach house counter. ‘You know kids; they’ll do anything to not go to sleep.’

‘Not mine. Mine’s an angel. Sleeps through most of the night, only waking up late at night or early morning so I don’t lose sleep.’

‘No need to rub my face in it.’ Charlie scrunched up her face jokingly.

‘Sorry.’ Bianca shrugged with a smile. ‘My couch is pretty comfy if you ever need sleep during the day.’

‘I work during the day, remember. Not everyone’s on school holidays.’ Charlie roamed through the kitchen and surveyed the insides of the fridge.

‘Don’t you get Christmas holidays?’ Bianca sat on the counter stool.

‘We get three days for Christmas and it’s back to work. With the resort opening in the New Year there’s really no room for a holiday.’ Charlie took a cup of chocolate mousse out of the fridge and shut the door. ‘Can I have this?’

Bianca nodded. ‘You must be so excited to see all your hard works pull through.’

‘Yeah, I am.’ Charlie smiled and dug a spoon into the mousse as she leant on the counter again. ‘I was a little lost when I first left the police force but I think I’m getting on track again.’

‘I’m glad.’ Bianca stole the spoon off Charlie and took a bite of the mousse for herself before giving it back. ‘I’ve been teaching for so long, I don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t teach.’

‘Maybe you could take up surfing and be a pro.’ Charlie noticed Liam’s surfboard leaning against the back door just as Irene walked in. ‘Seems like everyone else is doing it. Hi Irene.’

‘Hi love.’ Irene put her handbag down and looked at the cup in Charlie’s hand. ‘Is that my mousse?’

Charlie looked down sheepishly at her hands and held the cup out to the older woman. ‘You want it back? Bianca said it was okay.’

‘No Darl, it’s right.’ Irene sounded exhausted. ‘It’s been a busy day at the diner; I’m just going to take a breather.’

‘Rest well.’ Bianca called as Irene moved past them and raised her eyebrows at Charlie. ‘Maybe you could be a chef, take some of that load off poor Irene. You said it yourself; you’re topping your cooking class.’

‘No thanks.’ Irene called back at them as she walked up the stairs. ‘I’m not that desperate.’

The girls laughed. ‘I never actually said I was topping my class. Just that I was improving. No way could I ever rival Irene and Leah.’

‘Well we’ll see at your little Christmas shindig won’t we?’ Bianca smiled.

‘I hope so.’ Charlie smiled back nervously.

----------------------------------------------------

A week later, Aria wailed at the top of her lungs, her face wet with tears and hair messy from running away. She stood with her back against the kitchen cupboard defensively. ‘Make me!’

‘I shouldn't have to.’ Charlie stood crossly in front of her in her work clothes and sighing deeply. ‘You need rest missy. You’re going to bed.’

‘No I not.’ Aria whined and shook her head vigorously. ‘No I not. You ca make me mummy!’

Charlie sighed exasperatedly and leant her head against the top cupboard opposite. She tried being polite even though it was hopeless. ‘Please?’

‘No Ari go peach.’ Aria stuck out her bottom lip in a frown, choosing the beach instead of bed. If she went to sleep, the monsters would come, but she wasn’t going to tell her that.

A key slotted in the front door and Brax walked in through it after a long day at work. Aria’s eyes lit up and she ran fast towards him and made him lift her up. Finally, she had someone who’d listen to her. ‘Daddy! Make her stop!’

‘What’s this, eh? All these tears.’ Brax held her in his arms and wiped her face. ‘What’s mummy done?’

‘Look, daddy’s here to save the day again.’ Charlie came out of the kitchen sarcastically, taking her frustrations out on her unwitting husband. ‘Would you tell your daughter she needs sleep?’

‘Mummy’s right, you know. You don’t’ get sleep, you won’t grow big and strong like her.’ Brax moved Aria’s face so she was looking at him but she turned away still crying. ‘Don’t you want that?’

‘NO!’ Aria shook her head with an ear shattering shout and hit his chest angrily. ‘She’s mean!’

‘I’m always the bad guy, aren’t I?’ Charlie sighed as her daughter struggled out of Brax’ hold until he put her on the floor and she ran away to her room. The adults followed her slowly.

Charlie entered their daughter’s room hitting the bed and taking Tinker-bell in her arms. Also in her arms were a beach ball, purple military sunglasses and her pink hat. ‘Aria, what’re you doing?’

‘Go!’ Aria continued to cry and walked over to Brax and lifted her arms, the things in her hands falling except the doll. ‘Less go.’

‘Where do you want to go?’ Brax asked without lifting her up like she wanted.

‘Peach!’ Aria demanded and jumped up and down impatiently and wailed.

‘It’s night time; we can’t go to the beach.’ Brax replied.

‘Ye we can!’ Aria wasn’t taking no for an answer and growled with her teeth clenched.

Charlie pursed her lips trying not to smile at that face; the little girl looked like she was doing a number two. ‘Aria, you know it’s dark at the beach this time of night. There’s no sun.’

This shut her up. She turned still crying with her eyes glaring at her mother in distress. ‘You lie.’

‘Don’t talk to your mum like that eh.’ Brax still had her arm around his wife’s waist. ‘But…if you really want to go, I guess I can’t stop you.’

Charlie stepped out of his hold and glared at him while her daughter looked ecstatic. ‘Brax, it’s late. She needs to go to bed.’

Aria was too upset for smiling but took his hand and began to pull him out quickly before he changed his mind. Ignoring Charlie, Brax pulled Aria back and bent down to her eye level. ‘But I can’t come with you.’

‘Ye you can!’ Aria sniffled and stared at her dad daring him to blink.

‘If I go, there’ll be no one to keep Mummy Company.’ Brax explained and Charlie’s face grew softer. ‘I wish I could go but Daddy can’t do everything, you know.’

‘You can’t?’ Aria looked shocked at the revelation with big wide eyes. Turning to look out her window, she suddenly felt scared at the thought of going out by herself in the monster-filled dark.

‘I know, it’s hard to believe eh.’ Brax held her by the shoulders and joked. Charlie smiled. ‘Unless, we stay here tonight and go to the beach tomorrow when it’s morning.’

Aria felt a little better knowing she could stay home. Bed was sounding a lot safer now. With her forehead all scrunched up inquiringly she asked. ‘Pomise?’

‘We promise.’ Charlie held out her hands hopefully. ‘You want to change with mummy?’

‘No.’ Aria shook her head calmly and Charlie sighed. But then she hugged her father lovingly. ‘Daddy.’

‘Okay, change with daddy.’ Charlie shook her head feeling a little dissed. Standing up, she left the two of them to it. As long as she was going to bed, it didn’t matter. Before closing the door, she watched her now content daughter and smiled. There were good and bad moments but in the end, there was always love.

Archived