The Ties That Bind

Guest mizziette

FIFTY

‘Why are they just standing around?’

‘Maybe they don’t want to hurt the old lady refereeing, eh.’

‘I’ve seen better punch-ups between my two goldfish.’

The boys crinkled their forehead in confusion as they stood near the beach in front of what was supposed to be a boxing match between two middle-aged men. ‘Oi Brody, since when do you have goldfish?’

‘He got them as a gift for the old girlfriend right.’ Brax nudged him with his elbow.

Pee Wee teased. ‘Nah man, it’s his fiancé now. Old Brodes’ all in love, didn’t you hear?’

‘Shut up mate. Just because you can’t keep a chick for more than ten minutes.’ Brody rolled his eyes.

‘Ten minutes is all I need.’ The boys chuckled.

‘Come on.’ Brax stepped forward, bored. ‘We’d get more action watching paint dry. Let’s get out of here.’

‘Or we could just show those geriatrics how real men fight!’ Pee Wee cupped his mouth and yelled out to the men in the boxing ring who still hadn’t made a move. Tony and John looked back and scowled, embarrassed.

As the jeering boys were about to take the stage and demonstrate their fighting skills, Danielle strolled up to them. ‘Hey Brax. Hey Casey.’

‘Hey!’ Casey had been skirting quietly on the sidelines of the river boys but his eyes immediately lit up at the sight of a familiar more relatable face. ‘Come on, let’s go.’

As they strolled along the beach away from Brax’ loud obnoxious mates, Casey couldn’t help but wonder about the girl next to him. Ever since he’d caught her throwing up, she had been adamant to avoid the topic at whatever cost and he hadn’t pushed it but it was pretty obvious there was something being kept hidden.

‘I don’t know what you see in those guys.’ Danielle commented on the river boys. Her brothers’ involvement in a gang was pretty intimidating but she’d gotten used to it by now. ‘They’re a bunch of Neanderthals.’

‘I don’t know what I see in them either. They’re more Brax and Heath’s mates but they’re alright. Just not very developed.’

Casey slowed down as he noticed a familiar face. The last time he’d seen her was at the after party two weeks ago but then he’d been too worried about Danielle to think about her. Now, as they were heading straight towards Mel Blakeley as she sat on the sand watching the waves, a sudden wave of nerves overtook him.

‘I could introduce you.’ His sister noticed this change in attitude.

‘I don’t think so.’

‘You can’t ask her out if she doesn’t know you exist.’

‘Who says I want to ask her out?’ Casey stuttered nervously. ‘Any way, I wouldn’t even know what to say. What if she says no?’

‘She’d be crazy to say no. You won’t know if you don’t try. Just compliment her on the school play last week and go from there.’ Danielle gently shoved him forward encouragingly and they walked up to the girl. ‘Hey Mel, how’s it going?’

Mel looked up and was surprised to see her school friend sat next to her with a strange boy. ‘Danni, I haven’t seen you around lately. Mrs Austin said you’re not coming back to school.’

This was the first time he’d heard about her dropping out and when Casey looked at his sister, she purposefully ignored his inquiring glance, instead brushing away the course of conversation. ‘Yeah, I thought I’d take a year off. There’s been a lot going on lately. Mel, have you met my brother Casey? He came to see us in ‘Romeo and Juliet.’

Mel just smiled uninterestedly. ‘Yeah, he dumped my milkshake onto me a couple of weeks ago. What’d you think of the play?’

‘Hmm.’ it was all Casey could conjure out of his mouth, too nervous that his crush was actually directly addressing him. It took a discreet nudge on the arm from Danielle for him to elaborate. ‘I mean, it was cool. You guys did a great job. You were amazing,’

‘Thanks. I put a lot of heart into that play. It’s good to know someone likes it. Although I had no idea you had a brother Danni.’

‘It’s kind of a recent thing. Hold on.’ Danielle smiled and picked up her phone as it rang. Answering it, she groaned. ‘Mum?’

There was a muffled mumbling on the other end. ‘Mum, could you hold on a second. I need to go somewhere with better reception.’ The blonde girl stood up and stumbled back as a wave of dizziness overcame her.

‘Are you okay?’ A worried Casey stood up and held onto her arm as she struggled to remain upright, her hand on her forehead.

Danielle wrenched her arm away once the blurred vision passed. She cursed her body for lacking subtlety. She tried to cover her tracks as best as she could, feign a smile as she held up her phone. ‘I’m fine. I just got up a little too fast that’s all. Excuse me, the mother waits.

Casey didn’t buy her excuse as she walked up the sand dune for better phone reception and started chatting away to her mum but he didn’t press the matter. More present issues clouded his brain, like being all alone with Mel. They sat side by side awkwardly in silence as he gathered the courage to speak. ‘So, you go to Summer Bay?’

‘I was in the Summer Bay school play so I think that’s a fair guess.’ Not off to a good start.

‘Right. Of course. I go to Reefton Lakes.’

‘You don’t strike me as the Reefton type.’ Mel tried to hide the judgemental look on her face but it wasn’t missed. Reefton Lakes High was the very meaning of trouble and everyone in the area knew it.

‘I’m not.’

‘So are you like an older brother or what? This is the first I’ve heard of you.’

‘Yeah, I’m older. We haven’t known each other that long so I wouldn’t be surprised. We’re half-siblings; we have the same absentee dad. She found us a while ago.’

‘Aw, it’s like a long lost sibling story. That’s so cute.’

Casey flushed pink as she called him cute. Well not him exactly, but she’d said cute, a word he couldn’t believe she’d said in reference to him. ‘I guess.’ He mumbled.

‘It’s totally cute. Danielle’s awesome; I can imagine she’d been an equally awesome sister.’

‘She is.’

‘It’s too bad, she’s dropping out though. I’m totally going to miss her. Not that I’ll have time, with the HSC trials coming up, I have no time for a social life with studying and applying to uni’

‘Yeah, glad I don’t have to do that.’ Hearing Danielle wrapping up her conversation on the phone, Casey stood up and helped Mel up as well. He couldn’t helped but notice how smooth her hand was as he did so. ‘So, I guess I should probably apologize for spilling your shake the other day.’

‘Apology accepted.’

‘Maybe we could hang out some time. We could go to the surf club for milkshakes so I could make it up to you. Or not, you know. Only if you want. We don’t have to or anything. It’s just a suggestion.’ The boy’s nervous banter as he asked her out was cute.

‘Oh Casey.’ Mel smiled apologetically. ‘That’s really sweet but… you’re a really nice guy, really nice but…’

‘No, it’s fine.’ His heart dropped.

‘I’m sorry. I have a boyfriend.’ She smiled. ‘We could hang out as friends. I’ll see you guys’ later, okay?’

As Mel said goodbye and left, Danielle caught up with Casey. ‘Didn’t go so well?’

‘No. What did your mum want?’

‘Just being the usual worry wart. Ever since she found out I was in contact with you and Brax, she’s been a mess. She got home really drunk after the play.’

‘Brax got home pretty wasted too. I don’t think he’s your mum’s biggest fan.’ Casey noticed his sister was rubbing her temples in circles. ‘Are you okay?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ Danni faked a smile and dropped her hand. ‘Talking to mum’s just given me a headache that’s all.’

Without a word, she moved ahead, leaving Casey to follow, an all too familiar concept.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFTY ONE

Casey sat in class unable to concentrate. It was only half way through the year and he couldn’t believe he still had six months of this to endure. Almost falling asleep as the English teacher lectured them, the boy was glad when the final bell rang. He could finally get out of the hell hole.

‘Mr Braxton, can I see you for a minute?’ The teacher spoilt his plans. Unfortunately for Casey, the talk lasted a lot longer than a minute and when he finally managed to head out, he had little intention of going home. Instead he went over to the nicer, outskirts of Mangrove River where Danielle Hay resided.

The doorbell rang. ‘Hey Tracey, is Danielle home?’

‘This isn’t a good time.’ Tracey was more stand-offish than usual and held the front door close to her. She tapped the door irritably, impatient to go back inside and attend to her daughter’s needs.

There was a retching sound coming from inside and Casey was worried. ‘Is everything okay?’

‘Everything’s fine. You shouldn’t have come unannounced like this. Look Casey, I know you care about my daughter so I’m going to tell you this once. Danielle is a very special girl and she deserves a lot more than she’s had but I can’t help that. I don’t want her to get hurt.’

‘I don’t…’

‘No Casey, listen to me. You seem like a good kid and all but this new relationship between you and my daughter; it can only lead to a world of hurt. I just want you to make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.’

‘I still don’t understand.’

‘Mum?’ A strained voice called from a room inside the house before there was time to explain.

‘I should go.’ Tracey turned to shut the door. ‘Good bye.’

Casey was confused when he walked in through the door of the Braxton house that night and went to check on his brother in his room. ‘Hey Brax, you got a minute?’

‘Sure. What’s up?’ Brax put down the book keeping he was doing for the new club he’d just bought into as he sat up higher on the bed. His little brother closed the door and sat on the desk chair facing the bed.

‘It’s about Danielle. Have you noticed anything strange about her lately?’

‘Strange how?’

‘I just get the feeling she’s hiding something big. Something’s wrong with her but she pretends it’s alright. She brushes off dizzy spells and headaches like it’s nothing.’

‘I don’t really spend much time with her as you do but if you’re that worried I’ll talk to her.’ Casey smiled his appreciation and Brax changed the subject. ‘Did your English teacher talk to you today?’

‘How do you know about that?’

‘He called me today. Well, technically he called mum but I thought it’d be better if I answered. What’s going on with you Case? He tells me you’re not doing so well in English.’

‘Yeah, so?’

‘So, you’re a smart kid. Casey, if you tried even a little you could do so much. Don’t let yourself down, right?’

‘Whatever.’

‘That doesn’t sound very enthusiastic.’

Casey stood up and turned to the door, speaking sarcastically. ‘Yes Brax, I’m sorry I’m such a screw up. I’ll try harder in school. Is that better? Why does this matter so much to you anyway? It’s my life not yours.’

‘Exactly. It’s your life and I won’t let you throw it away. You’re a good kid Case, if you just let yourself, you could be so much more than this. And you do that by finishing school and getting…’

‘You didn’t. Heath didn’t.’

Brax sighed. ‘I was an idiot to throw it all away. And Heath, he was born an idiot so you can’t really dig it into him for that. You get what I’m saying don’t you.’

‘You’ve given me the lecture a million times Brax. I’ve got it memorised. “Finish school; go to uni, etcetera, etcetera.”’

‘Good. Now get out of here. I’ve got work to do.’

The next morning, Brax stood on the beach waiting for Danielle. When she did walk up to him, she looked amazing in her signature beret and leopard print top. ‘Brax, what’re you doing here?’

‘I thought since you weren’t going to school anymore you might want to spend the day with me.’ He turned and kept pace as they walked along the sand. ‘Why aren’t you going to school anyway? You told me you loved school, why give it all up?’

‘You’re not going to give me the importance of school lecture are you? Mrs Austin already went through it with me.’

‘Nah, not this time but if you do want to hear it, just ask Case. Apparently he’s got it memorised. If only he was that studious with his school work, eh.’

Danielle smiled and sat down on the sand, offering her big brother a curly fry from her food carton. He took one and sat next to her before continuing. ‘How’re things with you?’

‘Fine.’

‘Casey mentioned you haven’t been feeling well lately.’

‘Casey got it wrong. I’ve never felt better.’ She winced slightly in pain as she swallowed, hoping Brax didn’t notice. Unfortunately, he did.

‘Look Danni, we’re just worried about you. I know it’s only been a few months but we are family.’

‘Heath doesn’t think so.’ She changed the subject hoping he’d forget.

‘Heath, he doesn’t deal with change too well. He just needs to process things.’

‘Well, he sure is taking his time.’

Brax sighed. ‘You’d tell me if something was bothering you right?’

‘Yes Brax. But seriously there’s nothing wrong with…’ Danielle went into a coughing fit and put her hand over her mouth. When she stopped and took her hand away, there was a small speck of blood on it. She tried to cover it up as she whispered. ‘It’s nothing.’

Brax sighed worriedly. ‘Danielle that nothing looks a lot like blood. You still want me to believe nothing’s wrong?’

FIFTY TWO

Danielle lay on the raised hospital bed feeling overwhelmed. Although she had insisted she was fine, Brax had been adamant about taking her to the emergency room and now there they were- her mother, Dr Armstrong and even a couple of nurses- encircling her like a protective shield. Thankfully her mum had made Brax and Casey wait in the hall. ‘It really is nothing.’

‘Danielle, you can never be too safe. Your brother did the right thing by bringing you here.’ Rachel assured the young girl. ‘It’s a good thing you came in. It seems you have developed a mild case of pneumonia. This is easily treated by antibiotics but I’d like to run some more tests just to be sure that this wasn’t caused by any underlying issues. Given your condition I think that’s wise.’

‘Thanks, Dr Armstrong.’ Tracey couldn’t help but look behind at the boys through the windows. They didn’t know anything.

‘I’ll also try and have your treatment appointment moved up. I know it must be tough having to wait so long.’

‘Waiting for what?’ The women turned around to find Brax at the door with Casey in tow. At that point Rachel excused herself and the nurses finished securing the IV and followed her. Now they were all alone.

‘Oh, they just want to run some tests to make sure there’s nothing else wrong with me. It’s just a little pneumonia.’ Danielle smiled but the boys looked disbelieving.

Tracey was uncomfortable being in the same room as the Braxtons. Ever since the disaster of a nightcap two weeks ago, she felt too guilty being around Brax. It would be bearable if he’d just ignore her in his fury but the forced politeness was almost worse. ‘I’m going to go get myself a cup of coffee.’

No one paid any attention as she left the room. Brax was too concerned about his sister to notice. ‘If there’s anything on your mind that’s worrying you…’

‘I know.’ Danielle smiled as a tear fell down her cheek. The truth was there were a million things on her mind. Unfortunately none of her secrets were brave enough to surface. ‘I’m fine, really. I’m going to be just fine. You’ll see.’

‘Hey, what’s with the water works?’

The girl shook her head as a large hand held onto her tiny IV one. ‘It’s nothing. It’s nothing, really.’

Casey whispered from behind Brax, trying to make her feel better. ‘Well, you know it’s no use crying over nothing.’

‘I’d just like to be left alone if you don’t mind. I’m really exhausted and I need the sleep.’

The boys walked out slowly, shutting the door quietly so as not disturb her. They were both at a loss. As Casey walked down the hallway to the exit, his older brother was halted at the closed door by a ringing phone.

‘Hello?’

‘Brax, you wouldn’t believe where I am!’ It was Heath, calling from god knew where; completely unaware that anything was amiss.

Brax wasn’t impressed. ‘Try me.’

‘I’m in Jeffrey’s Bay. The waves here are seriously unreal. We’re talking two storeys. I’ve never seen anything like it. Mink bailed on me and I met these guys who were going and I thought…’

‘You’re in South Africa? That’s great mate. You’re bumming on some South African beach at all hours of the day while your sister is in hospital. You’re a real champion.’

‘Who says I have a sister? For all we know this could be some hoax. I’m not going around calling some random chick my sister when I’ve never even met her.’ Heath’s elated mood disappeared, only to be replaced by hurt and denial.

‘And whose fault is that? You’re the one who ran away. I hate to break it to you bro, but avoidance doesn’t work. Don’t even think about calling her a liar because you know damn well that’s not true. You can’t deny this forever just like you can’t run forever.’ Brax sighed and heard his brother sigh on the other end of the line across the Indian Ocean.

‘Is she alright? You said she was in hospital?’

‘She’s not too good but she won’t admit it. You’d see if you were here. Actually, I think she might be suffering from a little case of denial herself. Of course, you’d know all about denial wouldn’t you? You seem to be an expert on the subject these days.’

‘It must run in the family.’ Heath said blandly, not realising that he was acknowledging her as family.

‘Come home Heath. You can’t hide forever. Mum’s going crazy with worry, at least do it for her. Every town needs a village idiot mate, and Mangrove River wants theirs back.’

The line crackled and beeped on the other end. Heath had already left. There was no one there to hear his pleas.

FIFTY THREE

‘Danielle!’ Casey jumped up from his seat as he spotted his sister walk across the beach trying to ignore him. She had been avoiding both him and Brax ever since the hospital incident and he was beginning to feel like a stalker as he ran up to catch up with her. ‘Danielle, would you stop walking?’

Danielle did and turned around to face him. Her eyes were baggy, her cheeks sunken and her once long blonde waves were scraggly and thinning. She was on the verge of tears. ‘Hi.’

‘Hi. I’ve been trying to reach you for weeks. You’re not answering your phone, you won’t answer you door, you’re running away from me; did I do something wrong?’ Casey lifted her face up so she was looking at him.

‘No, of course not. It’s not you, it’s me.’

‘What, you’re breaking up with me now?’ Casey couldn’t understand why she wanted to cut ties with her brothers.

Danielle looked at her feet, her long blonde locks covering her face. ‘I knew this would happen. I never wanted to hurt you and now I have.’

‘Danni, you’re speaking in riddles.’ Casey moved her hair so he could see her face but when he removed his hand, a whole chunk of hair came out as easily and delicately as cotton candy. ‘Your hair!’

‘What hair!’ Danielle shouted, sobbing and reduced her voice to a whisper when she noticed people staring as they walked past. She lifted her hand and pulled out another chunk, holding her locks in her hand. ‘What hair? It can’t even stay on my skull anymore.’

‘Why? You’re sick and don’t tell me it’s pneumonia. This is something more. I just want to help.’

Danielle turned around agitatedly. ‘This is why I wanted to find him, you know. Our dad, I mean. I thought we could make up for lost time or something before…. And then I found you and Brax instead. You were both so nice to me, you’re still so nice to me that I didn’t want to hurt you by telling you the truth because I knew the truth would hurt.’

‘Not knowing the truth hurts too.’

‘Casey, I have skin cancer.’ The words hit like a bullet. ‘It’s pretty advanced, spread to my brain and my lungs- that’s why I got pneumonia, because my lung was infected- and it’s spreading even more. I had my first chemo treatment two days after Brax took me to the hospital, that’s why my hair’s falling out.’

Casey was silent with shock. ‘Casey, say something.’

‘But… But you’re going to be alright?’

‘The doctors say I’ve only got a 5% chance of survival. But I’m fighting this til the end. I wanted to get to know my dad’s side of the family before I, you know.’ She couldn’t say die.

‘Does this mean you’ve known for four months? I mean, when you first met Brax you knew?’ Casey held his head overwhelmed by the information overload and Danielle nodded. ‘I can’t believe this is happening to you. Why didn’t you get treatment earlier?’

‘Small town hospitals don’t really have the facilities. I had the surgery to remove all the tumours immediately but I’ve been waiting for an available appointment.’

‘I’m so sorry.’ Casey held his arms out and his sister stepped into them. ‘Do you still want to find our dad?’

‘More than anything.’ Danielle leant into his chest. ‘I’ve only hit dead ends though.’

‘You and I might’ve never met the guy but Brax had twelve years with him. I’m sure if you ask him, he’ll help.’

‘He hates dad.’

‘He loves you more. If it’s this important to you, he’ll do it. You can count on him on things like that.’

‘So I’ve noticed.’ Danielle smiled and wiped her tears as she stepped away. ‘I have to tell him don’t I?’

‘You want me to go with you?’ Casey asked.

‘No. It’s something I should do by myself.’

FIFTY FOUR

Danielle sat at the bar stool in the club Brax invested in nervously. At midday, the place was empty except for Brax and his business partner. ‘You’re awfully quiet.’

‘Nah. I’m just processing.’ Brax scratched his head and sat next to her dazed. ‘This is huge, eh. They’re sure it’s cancer?’

‘Yeah, unfortunately. But I’m going to pull through.’

‘You’re a Braxton. Of course you’ll pull through.’

Danielle beamed at the comment. ‘So does this mean you’ll help? I mean, I understand if you don’t want to, dad was…’

‘Hey don’t.’ Brax touched her shoulder instinctively. ‘Of course I’ll help you look. You want to meet your dad, you’ll meet him. Just leave it with me.’

‘Thank you.’ Danni stood up and hugged her older brother. ‘You have no idea how much this means to me. And I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you about my health sooner.’

‘Don’t sweat it. I’m here for you, anything you need; you let me know.’

‘I will.’

When Danielle had left, Brax went behind the bar and took out an almost empty bottle of bourbon before drinking straight from the bottle. Just when he thought things were going well, something like this happened. His sister had cancer and if watching her deteriorate wasn’t bad enough, it looked like he might have to endure a painful reunion with his father again. Life just couldn’t be fair.

Brax looked around the empty club. He’d bought into it a few months ago and he enjoyed it immensely. Having a conventional job was like a dream come true but it came with a catch. The man knew that the club was only a ruche to hide his real business – the deceptive art of drug dealing. It killed him to use his business partner like that but his real profits had to launder somewhere and for the next few months this was it.

Brax knew he’d have to move on eventually but for now, he could pretend to be a normal businessman. For now. He looked down at his watch and realised he should probably head home and change for Brody’s wedding. After all, he was the best man and couldn’t be late but a wedding seemed like the last place he wanted to be, especially when he had had such terrible news from Danielle.

An hour later, Brody was ecstatic as he stood at the garden altar in his rented tuxedo with Brax and Casey as his groomsmen. ‘Mate, you think you could at least look happy that I’m getting hitched? You look like you’d rather be at a funeral.’

‘Sorry mate.’ Brax apologised but his pain stricken mind started wondering if he really would be at a funeral- his sister’s- when the music began and Darcy walked down the aisle in her pale pink flower girl dress. A smile brushed lightly on his face; that beautiful little girl could cheer anyone up although the saddened brother couldn’t help but think whether Danielle might’ve looked like Darcy when she was little. They hadn’t had nearly enough time together and might not have much more.

Following her daughter, Teagan was all smiles and behind her the beautiful bride. The ceremony was moving and touching and when Brody kissed his new wife, the entire party cheered, even Brax.

The wedding moved from the garden to Brax’ club for the reception. It was only a relatively small wedding of 90 guests and they all took half the space of the large club. While everyone mingled, Brax hung around the bar.

‘Darryl? Darryl Braxton?’ A tall sturdy man moved next to him and held out his hand. ‘My, how you’ve grown! I’m sorry, you probably don’t remember me; I’m Dan Greer, a mate of your fathers. We served together in Vietnam.’

‘Oh, yes hi.’ Brax couldn’t believe his luck as he shook the hand. Only hours after his promise to Danielle, he’d hit the jackpot; someone close to his father. ‘It’s good to see you again.’

‘The last I remember of you, you barely reached my shoulders. You’ve grown into a fine young man. You’re the spitting image of your old man, come to think of it.’

‘Thank you.’ Brax took a sip from his drink and made himself comfortable on the bar stool. ‘You still keep in touch with him?’

‘Who, Sean? Not really. The last I saw of him was ten years ago at that place- the Seaside pub, I think it was called- around the city beach. Ever since he ran off with old Trace, he cut most of his ties.’

‘So it’s not just me then?’ Brax chuckled sarcastically.

‘Nah,’ Dan smiled. ‘How’s everything with you these days? I ran into your mum at the wedding ceremony and she mentioned you own this club now?’

‘I’ve invested in it. It gets the job done.’

‘I always knew you’d grow up to be a bright young man. You’ve always known how to take care of yourself, ever since you were little. I’m proud of you son. What’s that little brother of yours up to?’

‘Oh you know Heath.’ Brax smiled sheepishly, wondering if Dan would think so if he knew the truth. ‘He’s always done his own thing. He’s surfing the world.’

‘Sounds like my kind of holiday.’ Dan stood up and turned to face him. ‘Listen, I’m going to try my luck at dancing with the bride, you say g’day to your brother for me.’

Brax sighed as he was finally left alone and downed his bourbon before heading outside for some fresh air. The June air was chilling against his face as he leaned against the railing, thinking about what had just happened. So Sean Braxton had been in a city pub ten years ago, that didn’t mean he might still be there. But then again, there was the slightest chance his dad would be at that bar right now.

‘You look like hell.’ Brax turned around to find Teagan walking out of the club in her pale pink bridesmaid dress. She smiled as she remembered the serenity she’d felt looking at Brax standing next to the groom as she’d walked down the aisle earlier that day and hoping that the next time she had to walk towards him on an aisle, it’d be in bridal white.

‘What every man wants to hear.’

‘Nah.’ Teagan smiled and ran her hands up and down his arms as she stood behind him. ‘You always scrub up well and you know it. You just don’t look very happy for someone who just married off their mate.’

‘I’ve just had a rough day, that’s all.’ Brax felt soothed by the touch, even though he knew deep down he shouldn’t. She was bad for him and he knew it. Teagan hadn’t made any advances all year yet here she was right when he needed it the most.

‘You want to talk about it. It might make you feel better.’ The young woman removed her hands and stood next to him.

‘I don’t want to talk.’

Teagan smiled, taking his hands and pulling them around her petite waist. ‘Yeah, neither do I.’

Brax stared at his friend for a long time, almost as if he was deciding. The seductress smiled sweetly and stroked his biceps softly, giving him the affection he craved so desperately. The touch was warm and caring to him in his emotionally weak state of mind and he knew that Teagan could make him feel better. She always had that ability to make him forget his troubles. And right now that was exactly what Brax needed, he needed to escape.

FIFTY FIVE

Casey walked through the school courtyard afterschool and crumpled up the failed maths test in his hand before throwing it in the bin. Normally, he wasn’t that good in school anyway but ever since he’d found out Danielle’s secret, his grades went down even more. Teachers complained and complained about the loner Braxton kid with the dodgy reputation and the meteor-sized chip on his shoulder, but they paid little attention to the young scared boy behind the labels.

‘How was school?’ Brax called as his little brother scooted into the Black Holden and flung his school bag between his legs.

‘Eh.’ Casey replied and Brax rolled his eyes as he started the car and pulled out of the high school. He hoped his younger brother would grow out of his one-syllable vocabulary phase. He’d been such a talkative toddler but it seemed teen angst had taken over and made itself comfortable, for now.

The boys drove around in silence through the winding roads, with only the radio music to entertain them. Eventually, the winding country roads morphed into the suburban grid of Mangrove River and it wasn’t long before they’d arrived outside their waterfront home. Brax spoke as Casey got out. ‘If you need anything, I gave you money this morning. If mum’s too out of it to cook for you, buy something with that, eh. And Case…’

‘Humph?’ There it was again, the famous grunt.

‘Just because I’m not here the next couple days doesn’t mean you’re not going to school. And, do your homework okay? The school called complaining that you’re not doing it.’

‘Yes, dad,’ Casey stood outside the car impatiently and saluted pragmatically.

Brax pulled back out of the driveway and sighed as he drove on. He’d told Casey and Cheryl that he was going into the city for business; no one but him knew that he was really trying to find his father. If it was up to him, he wouldn’t go even a metre closer to his father but this wasn’t about him, it was about Danielle.

The drive into the city was an hour and a half long, and Brax spent every one of those minutes trying to convince himself not to make a U-turn and drive back home to the safety of his friends and family. Of course, he stayed strong and didn’t. Of course, it wasn’t until he pulled into the city beach car park that he realised that both his hands were holding onto the steering wheel for dear life and that his palms were sweating from the nerves. The sky above was various shades of pink, orange and purple as the sun set on the world, while Brax walked along the beachside strip.

The Seaside Inn, that was the place Sean’s mate had said he’d seen him last. The neon sign flashed half-heartedly and Brax sighed as he hesitantly opened the door and stepped in. It was exactly the kind of place his father would go to; dark, dingy and empty with enough booze to fill an army. The only sound was the faint slow 80’s beat from the juke box and the drunken chatter of the only three customers.

‘Bourbon, thanks waitress.’ Brax sat at the bar, gesturing to the waiter. It was going to be a long night.

‘Rough day?’ A grey bearded man grunted from beside him and Brax nodded. ‘Yeah, me too. Tell you what, the bourbon’s on me.’

Brax thanked the stranger and settled in for a rollercoaster of a night.

Back in Summer Bay, Danielle sat on her hospital bed listening to the iPod feeling a little bored. Her third chemo treatment had only just started and she was already impatient to get it over with.

‘Hello, sweetheart, how’re you feeling?’ A bubbly voice chirped and the young girl looked up with her eyes lit up.

‘Marilyn!’

‘I was doing my usual rounds, and I thought I’d bring a friend with me today. I ran into her and I thought it might be nice to say hi to all you brave girls up here in the cancer ward. You’re always so lovely and friendly.’ Marilyn Chambers smiled and hustled into the couch nearby with her friend in tow. ‘Danielle, this is my friend, Charlie Buckton.’

‘Hey.’ Charlie smiled and sat next to Marilyn.

‘Hey.’ Danielle took off her headphones, glad for some company. Her mum had to work, Brax was in the city and Casey was in school; there was no one with her. Marilyn, the wonderful woman she is, had been coming in and keeping the cancer kids company once a week for months now and she was always a welcome addition. Because she’d gone through the same thing, she was easy to talk to. The young girl turned to Charlie. ‘I love your dress.’

‘Thanks. I love your scarf.’ Charlie smiled in her electric blue short silk tunic and admired the silk scarf covering the girl’s hairless head. Even in her sick bed, the girl looked good. ‘Did your mum duck out?’

‘No.’ Danni shrugged. ‘She’s at work. Can’t really afford to miss a shift with me being sick and all. Got to pay the bills.’

‘Oh, that’s terrible.’ Marilyn exclaimed. ‘Every girl should have her mother by her. But don’t worry. We’re here to keep you company. You don’t worry about a thing.’

‘Thanks Marilyn. My brother wanted to be here too actually but he had to head into the city on some business.’

‘That’s too bad.’ Charlie sympathised. ‘What does your brother do?’

‘You know what, I don’t actually know. He’s got this club but he does other stuff too but he’s really vague about a lot of things.

He calls himself a respectable business man. You'd like him. Maybe you could meet him if you come another time. What do you do?’

‘I’m a cop. Nothing vague about that.’

‘Nope.’ Marilyn chirped in. ‘That’s as straight forward as it gets.’

Out of nowhere, Danielle felt the effects of the chemotherapy chemicals as it dripped into her body. Putting her hand to her mouth, she felt the bile in her throat.

‘Here, sweetie.’ Charlie stood immediately and took a bucket under the young girl’s mouth. She held her blonde locks back protectively with one hand as she retched into the bucket. ‘There, there, it’s okay.’

By the time she finished being sick, Danielle felt a flush of fever coming on, along with the sweats. It was starting yet again, and she was glad as Charlie helped her lie back in bed and tucked her in tightly before stroking her back to comfort her.

FIFTY SIX

Brax walked back into the Seaside Pub and sat at his regular spot to order breakfast. It had been four days and he had asked around the area but there was still no luck in finding his father. The man he’d met on his first night had been kind and eager to help but he’d had no useful information. He had told himself last night was his last in the city on this hopeless mission. He had tried and with a life to get back to, there was only so much he could do.

‘You’ve been coming every day now.’ The man he’d met three nights ago was at the bar again. ‘No luck finding your old man?’

‘Not even a peep. I’m thinking of heading home after a bite actually. It all seems like a waste of time.’ Brax sighed. Even though he was disappointed for Danielle’s sake, the lack of progress was a relief. It meant he wouldn’t have to face his dad.

‘That’s a shame.’ The man, Trent, sympathised and chatted on. ‘You know, you’re pretty damn lucky you got here when it was open. This pub’s practically dead. As you can see, it’s not popular. There have been threats to close it down for over ten years.’

‘Yeah?’

‘Yeah, business started going down when some idiot pulled an armed robbery down here. The idiot would’ve gotten away with it too if it hadn’t been for the serpent tattoo on his back. The bloke might’ve worn a neon sign and he’d have had less chance of the cops catching him.’

‘Tattoos don’t exactly help you keep a low profile.’ Recognition glared in Brax’ eyes. ‘How old was this guy again?’

‘He was about mid 40s then, I think.’ If his hunch was right, this guy would be in his mid-50s now, more specifically, fifty-seven with a serpent tattoo Brax had once known only too well.

Fifteen minutes later, Brax was in his car driving down the highway back to his home town. Although his exterior was calm, inside he was dealing with a whirlwind of emotions struggling to break out of the confusion of his mind. Before he knew it, the overwhelmed man arrived at the hospital car park where Danielle was staying.

‘Thanks for the Cheer bear.’ Danielle smiled weakly at the lady in her hospital bed and hugged the care bear gratefully unaware that her older brother was in the hospital looking for her.

‘Well, I thought you could use some cheering up.’ Charlie held her hand briefly before letting go. ‘I just came for a check-up and thought I’d drop by. I hope that’s okay. I enjoyed talking to you the other day.’

‘No, it’s fine.’ Danni whispered. ‘I enjoyed the company. My mum’s going to be here soon. You can meet her.’

‘I can’t stay long honey. I promised my boyfriend I’d help him with the renovations of his new restaurant. Maybe another time.’

‘Yeah, maybe. Can you get me my glass of water, please?’

Charlie reached behind her and got the glass and put the straw to the young girl’s mouth as she sat up on the bed. Unfortunately, the fluid seemed to be too much on her delicate throat and she went into a coughing fit.

‘Hush, it’s okay.’ Charlie rubbed her back, not even caring that Danni had accidently spit out the water onto her dress.

‘Sorry. I didn’t mean to make you wet.’ Danni groaned and lay back in bed, her throat sore and strained.

‘Don’t sweat it.’ Charlie aired out her loose dress and headed into the en suite bathroom. ‘I’ll just pat it down a bit. It’s just water.’

The minute Charlie Buckton closed the bathroom door behind her, the main room door opened and none other than Brax walked in with caramel chocolates in his hand. As he stood there, he couldn’t believe how fast his sister had deteriorated while he was gone. Her skin was pale grey and lifeless, her eyes sunken and her lips drier than the Sahara. This was not the girl he’d left when he’d gone to the city four days ago.

‘You’re back.’ Danni whispered gently and smiled with happiness even though she was almost half asleep from the drugs by now. ‘And you brought chocolates.’

‘Yeah.’ Brax smiled and whispered back, stroking her balding head gently. ‘You look tired. Go to sleep. I might just go grab some coffee, okay? I’ll be right back to sit with you in a minute.’

Danielle just smiled and rested her eyelids as her brother headed back out the door. Not long after that, Charlie stepped out of the bathroom after having done the best to dry her dress. ‘Did I hear voices?’

‘My brother’s back.’ Danielle whispered with her eyes still closed tightly and her smile in place.

‘Oh.’ Charlie walked over and stroked her arm. ‘You poor thing. You must be exhausted. I’ll leave you to rest.’

And with that, Charlie stepped out into the hallway through the same door Darryl Braxton had been through only thirty seconds earlier and headed into the busy crowd of the hospital hallway, both so close to each other yet so far.

FIFTY SEVEN

‘Damn it.’ Heath got off his phone and threw it irritably into the water in front of him. Realising what he’d just done, he rushed up to the scenic Thailand cliff side but the phone was long gone.

‘Tough luck.’ A bubbly voice spoke behind him and turning around, his mood immediately lightened.

‘It’s you.’ Heath grinned and sat back down with his feet hanging over the edge of the fifty foot cliff. He had to admit, Phuket was a beautiful place but the real beauty of it was the women. ‘You’re stalking me now, are you?’

Cassie Turner laughed and sat beside the man, kissing him softly on the cheek. ‘Don’t flatter yourself. I’m just here for the scenery.’

‘Whatever helps you sleep at night, princess.’

‘So who was on the phone that made you throw it into the ocean?’ Cassie swung her feet casually.

Heath shrugged. ‘Just my brother again. I wish they’d stop telling me to go home.’

‘You don’t want to?’ He nodded. ‘I don’t blame you, I’ve been living here a little over two years now; I can’t dream of leaving it either.’

‘Who says I’m here for the scenery?’ Heath implied cheekily and nudged her lightly, making her giggle.

‘Then why are you here?’ Cassie became serious. ‘Something tells me you’re not just your average tourist. We’ve been hanging out for a week and this isn’t the first time your brothers have called telling you to go home.’

‘Cass, I’m not your average anything, you know that.’ Heath couldn’t stop the words from coming out; he just couldn’t help messing around with this vibrant tan Aussie beauty. ‘In all seriousness though, it’s a long story.’

‘I love long stories.’ Cassie leaned in and persuasively kissed him on the lips before moving back and smiling. Heath couldn’t help but think how gorgeous her smile was.

‘Okay.’ A kiss was all it took. ‘I ran away.’

‘I thought you said it was a long story.’ Cassie teased. The last few days had been great with Heath. She’d met him on the beach by her and Sally’s beach hut and sparks had flown. He was easy going and cheeky, just like her. And best of all, he hadn’t minded her positive HIV status, which she was grateful for these days.

‘You really are picky, aren’t you?’ Heath chuckled. ‘There’s an illegitimate sister back home who’s really sick. Dad cheated on mum with her best friend and I don’t know if I can get over that and meet the product of that.’

‘How is sick is this girl?’

‘Cancer. It’s pretty bad.’ Heath admitted sheepishly.

Cassie sympathised. ‘Heath, you don’t want to leave it too late.’

‘I don’t know what I want.’ He opened his arms and gestured to the vast ocean. ‘That’s why I’m here. I need time to figure it out. And the space to do it.’

‘But does she have any of that?’ Cassie held her new friend’s hand. ‘Look, I know what it’s like to have your whole world turned upside down. Being HIV positive isn’t an easy battle. There are times when I just need a hug from my family.’

‘I’ve never met this Danielle person. What if she doesn’t like me?’ Heath knew a lot of people didn’t like him and that made him insecure sometimes. ‘I don’t want her to meet me on some dying wish and realise I’m not all she’s imagined me to be.’

Cassie laughed. ‘If you’re that worried about making a bad first impression, don’t worry. I’ve only known you a week and you seem like a great guy to me. A little sloppy but overall okay. Even Sal likes you.’

‘I just wish I knew what to do.’ Heath frowned.

Cassie kissed his frown away. ‘I think you decided what you wanted to do a long time ago. You’re just scared to catch the flight back to Summer Bay.’

FIFTY EIGHT

On the other side of the world, Heath Braxton stood in the airport making out with his newest friend. He smiled and spoke between kisses. ‘I guess this is goodbye.’

‘I guess it is.’ Cassie leaned back as he still held her close. ‘You’re doing the right thing.’

‘If you say so.’ Heath still wasn’t too sure about returning back home and leaving Thailand. There was still too much confusion in his mind, but Cassie had convinced him that home would unclear it.

‘I do. So you better believe it.’ Cassie kissed him again lightly, holding his cheeks in her hands.

‘Passengers on Thai airways flight 6432, your flight is now boarding. Please make your way to gate 37.’ The overhead speakers ordered in the mechanical monotone voice.

‘I guess this is good bye.’ Heath shrugged and picked up his green duffel bag.

‘I guess it is.’ Sally decided to interrupt the lover’s farewell from her position behind Cassie. Two year old Summer Turner stood beside her sucking on a lollypop. Sal reached up to hug him. ‘Good luck with everything Heath.’

‘Bye-Bye Heath.’ Summer waved with her lollypop in her hand.

‘Bye kiddo.’ Heath bent and ruffled her hair.

‘Final call for passengers on Thai airways flight 6432.’ The speaker sounded.

‘Say hi to your sister for me.’ Cassie waved as the young man put his bag over his shoulder and swaggered off.

And with that, Heath Braxton was on his way home to meet his sister for the first time, unaware that the young girl was weakening by the minute, her breaths shallow and forced from the effort.

Lying in her hospital bed, Danielle looked exhausted. Even though the doctors and her mum gave her sympathetic smiles and optimistic words, everyone knew her time would soon be up. Her pasty skin was whiter than a ghost and every movement made her feel like she was being pounded.

‘How is she?’ Tracey whispered to the doctor entering the room as she sat by her sister’s bedside as she lay sleeping in the middle of the day. Casey sat behind her on the couch, equally worried.

‘Not well, I’m afraid.’ Rachel warned as she checked his patient’s vitals. ‘I just received the results from her last test and they don’t look good. The anaemia is worsening and it looks like now her kidneys aren’t holding up as they should. Her organs are beginning to shut down one by one. Her best hope right now is a bone marrow transplant, although it won’t fix all her problems, it’ll be a start. It’s usually best coming from a sibling; they are a lot more compatible than parents.’

‘So I can be a donor?’ Casey interrupted.

‘I’m sorry, you’re underage.’ Rachel explained. ‘Unless you have parental permission, you won’t be able to do this. But I hear Danni has two other half-brothers?’

‘They’re both out of town.’ Brax had disappeared on some mission for days.

‘That leaves Cheryl.’ Tracey sighed, almost giving up. There was no way she would give permission to Casey. But if it would save Danielle, they had to try.

At that moment, Danielle woke up and groaned, too weak even to speak, her lips and throat too dehydrated from all the nausea.

A three hour drive away, Brax looked around the deserted dry bush. He was well and truly in the middle of nowhere with only a large secure prison building as proof of civilisation. With some luck, he had managed to track down his father to the Northern districts Prison but that was where the luck had run out. Speaking with the prison guards had made it quite clear that Sean Braxton was not in prison anymore but on parole. More importantly in a nursing home.

He drove and drove for the next two hours, wanting to reach the facility his father was situated in. Near his destination was the airport, where unknown to him, an all too familiar face was waiting at the bus stop to enter the bus with a green duffel bag hung over his shoulder.

Heath boarded the bus and was at ease when he saw Australian faces looking back at him. Although there was still a ninety minute bus ride back to Mangrove River, it felt surprising good to be back on home turf. Dumping his body exhaustedly into a seat, he looked out the window absent-mindedly and barely acknowledged his brother’s familiar black Holden Ute driving past in the opposite direction.

‘Mum, please.’ Casey begged and pleaded her distraught mother who was catatonic from shock.

‘I…’ No other words could come out of Cheryl’s mouth. For the first time in her life, she was well and truly speechless.

‘Mum?’ Casey sat next to her on the couch worriedly.

‘I… I need a drink.’ The words forced themselves.

The young son tried to make her snap out of it. He’d known telling her the truth about Danielle would be a shock, but he hadn’t anticipated just how much. ‘Mum, please, she doesn’t have long. She needs my stem cells to live.’

‘Right…’ Cheryl stared straight in front of her, feeling like she’d run a marathon. The news had taken the breath out of her, literally. Her sons playing nice with Sean’s mistress and love child; it was too much.

‘I know this is a lot to take in, and I’m so sorry about this, but…’

‘She needs this.’ Cheryl finished Casey’s sentence with trembling hands.

‘Yeah, it would mean a lot to her.’ Casey nodded.

For the first time, she looked at her son, her eyes almost teary. As much as she wanted to spite Tracey Hay, she would never do it at the expense of a little girl. A girl who was innocent of all indiscretions, and was lying in her deathbed waiting for Cheryl to sign a piece of paper that would allow her youngest to save her life. Reluctantly, the distraught woman nodded; she knew she had to be selfless. ‘Tell me where to sign.’

In the city, Brax walked through the halls of the nursing home and felt like it was all a little surreal. He felt like he was watching himself from a distance; never would he have imagined that he would ever see his father again.

There was a closed door in front of him with the name ‘Sean Braxton’ and when he reached to grab the handle; he noticed that it was sweaty and shaking. It was going to be a long day. With a deep breath, he turned the door, pushed it open and Darryl Braxton stood face to face with his estranged father for the first time in sixteen years.

It just happened that the very second Brax made eye contact with his father was the very moment that Danielle Hay’s hear began to work overtime. The strain to her body was almost too much for her petite frame to bear and the young girl was asleep when the regulated beeping of her heart monitor began screeching erratically. She was seizing.

Doctors began to run into her room, and Danielle was being taken care of by a range of experts running around trying to save her life. In another hospital room, Casey Braxton was also trying to save her life by donating his bone marrow. As he lay on his chest in the hospital gown alone- Cheryl was too overwhelmed to offer emotional support- the young boy winced in pain as the doctor began his procedure and plunged the thick six inch long needle deep into his back.

Downstairs, Heath stood in the hospital gift shop, taking his time and wondering what his sister might like. After all, he wanted to make a good impression and the thought never crossed his mind that he might not get a chance.

Unbeknownst to all three Braxton brothers, while surrounded by doctors and nurses, Danielle Hay’s heart monitor beeped faster and faster before her heart eventually gave way and the line on the monitor disappeared. She had flat lined.

FIFTY NINE

Heath walked nervously down the hall with the little white teddy bear in his hand. It had taken a while but he’d picked something from the gift shop for Danielle, unaware that her heart had stopped. Walking up to the hospital room, he was surprised by the commotion outside it.

‘What’s going on?’ Heath asked the distraught middle aged woman leaning near the door.

Tracey looked at the man and her teary eyes widened in shock. ‘Heath?’

‘Do I know you?’ He was too young to remember.

‘Oh god, Heath, it is you. You haven’t changed.’ Tracey hugged him while he just looked plain confused. Then he realised who this must be.

‘You’re her mum.’ Heath surmised and Tracey nodded. He looked shocked and tried to restrain himself from losing his cool as he stood next to the woman who’d broken his mum’s spirit. It wasn’t the place or time.

‘She’s gone into cardiac arrest. The doctors kicked me out of the room; they’re shocking her now and doing CPR.’

‘Oh.’ Heath leant against the wall feeling out of place. ‘She’s going to be okay, right?’

Suddenly the doctor stepped out of the hospital room and commanded their attention. ‘We’ve managed to get Danielle’s heart up and running again but she’s still very weak. She’s catatonic at the moment and has quite a high fever. We’ve given her pain medication; her brother will be out of the procedure room in about half an hour so we can…’

‘Wait what? Is my brother sick too?’ Heath interrupted and Tracey reluctantly filled him in.

---

In the city, Sean Braxton sat in his armchair with an oxygen tube on his nose which was attached to a portable oxygen tank. Thirty years of smoking had done very little for his lungs and the poor man’s body was giving up well before it’s time. And there he was, in a nursing home at the mere age of fifty five.

When the door had opened ten minutes earlier, he had just assumed it would be the young nurse again, to check up on him. In no reality was he prepared for a reunion with his eldest son.

‘Hey dad.’ Brax gulped and his voice was cold as he spoke. There was no doubt; he was disappointed in what he saw. His dad had always been a mess but this was pathetic at its most extreme and the son felt ashamed.

Sean wheezed and coughed. His oxygen tube had dropped when he’d jumped in shock. Putting it back around his nose, the man looked into his son’s eyes. The twelve year old boy had grown into a matured man but he’d recognise him anywhere. ‘Darryl.’

Brax tried to remain cool. The only way he could get through this was if he tried to be indifferent. With a sigh, he stood standing and got right to the point. Too much time had passed for them to try to small talk. ‘Your daughter’s got cancer. She wants to meet you.’

‘How are you son?’ Sean was too preoccupied with the child in front of him for the moment.

‘I’m not your son.’ Brax winced and scratched his head, unable to look at the man who’d hurt him beyond reconciliation. ‘Are you well enough to take a trip?’

Sean was hurt but he nodded reluctantly.

‘Good, I’ll sort it with the nurses.’ With that Brax stormed out and it wasn’t until he rounded the corner that he hurried into the nearest room and threw up in some stranger’s rubbish bin. The very thought of seeing his father again made him nauseous with anxiety.

‘You right there, son?’ The resident of the room looked at the strange man vomiting into his rubbish from his arm chair.

Brax stood and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. ‘Yeah, sorry mate. I’ll throw your garbage bag outside.’

‘You feeling a little off, are you?’ Brax nodded and the man held out his hand. ‘That’s a shame. I’m Ross.’

‘Brax.’ He shook the older man’s hand. He looked pretty healthy and mobile and didn’t seem like nursing home material. ‘I didn’t mean to barge into your room like that, eh.’

‘Don’t worry about it.’ Ross Buckton waved away any apologies. ‘Are you visiting your grandparents?’

‘Nah, my dad.’ The words felt weird as they made it out of his mouth. ‘Sean Braxton.’

‘Ah, I didn’t think he had any kids. Although, the bloke’s pretty anti-social, so you never know.’

‘Oh, well, there are four of us. He’s just been pretending we don’t exist for sixteen years.’ Brax said spitefully and regretted being so forceful around this nice old man. ‘Sorry.’

‘It’s alright. Spending day in day out in this place, you get to see every kind of family there is walk through those nursing home doors.’ Ross took his newspaper and made himself comfortable in the arm chair. ‘No family’s perfect, not even mine.’

Ross beckoned for Brax to come closer. He was eager for some company. He gestured to the end table where there were a dozen framed pictures and held out one to show his companion. ‘My wife, Elsie. Isn’t she beautiful? She’s always complaining about my long hours at work but I know she loves me.’

Brax looked at the black and white photo of the woman with Ross and a gleeful five year old girl on their laps. He thought the little girl looked familiar but couldn’t place where. ‘What was your work?’

‘I’m a detective.’ Ross said proudly, unaware of what time it was. ‘My daughter Charlie, god bless her, she wants to be just like her old man when she finishes high school.’

‘You must be proud.’ Brax scanned the photo frames and came across one with one of Ross and a red head. They looked like they were a couple but he had said Elsie was his wife so it was a little confusing.

‘Oh, I am. My little girl hasn’t had the smoothest life but she’s a brave strong girl. I couldn’t be more proud.’

Brax smiled sadly. He thought it must be nice to have a dad like that who loves his children that much. ‘Sounds like a lucky girl.’

Ross smiled back. ‘What do you do?’

‘I’m in business. Just whatever comes my way, really.’ Brax felt silly lying to the cop. He’s lied plenty of times before about his occupation but this was different. This was a nice man who was distracting him from his troubles.

‘Ah, I knew you looked like a smart man.’ The praise was undeserved but felt good. ‘The only business I ever did was a door-to-door sale with the goods on the back of my red cart. That was when I was eight. You ever do anything like that?’

‘Nah, I didn’t.’

‘That’s a shame. Hardly anyone ever does these days. All these kids are all about that new World Wide Web thing. I’m telling you, by the time the new millennium rolls around; kids won’t even leave the house anymore. All these internet and mobile phone thingies are taking over the world.’

Brax frowned; it was already the new millennium. ‘Ross, what year do you think we’re in?’

‘Nineteen ninety seven, what else would it be?’ Ross thought it was a ridiculous question.

‘I don’t know.’ Brax shrugged, suddenly realising why the man was here in the first place. Alzheimer’s. With a sigh, he wished he had Alzheimer’s too, that way he could forget the pain; with his father and Danielle and his criminal lifestyle, it was building up to too much.

‘Are you alright, Brax?’ Ross noticed the sadness in his eyes. ‘You’re not still sick, are you?’

‘No, no, I’m fine. I should probably get going actually.’ Brax faked a smile. ‘It was nice to meet you.’

‘Yes, yes, you too.’ Ross nodded.

With that, Brax put down the photo frame he had been holding of Ross’ daughter Charlie when she had been five years old. He stared at it for a second longer before he walked out the door to take care of his father's release; he was sure he had seen those stunning crystal green eyes and dark brunette waves somewhere before. If only he could place where.

Archived