The Ties That Bind

Guest mizziette

SEVENTY

Two months after Casey’s expulsion, Heath sat uncomfortably on the couch trying to ignore his family’s antics. They’d been fighting for weeks now and it was always over the one thing. Casey. Should he or shouldn’t he? That was the million dollar question.

‘He’s my son, Darryl!’ Cheryl screamed and chugged down her beer, pacing around their tiny kitchen. ‘I don’t want my son wasting his time getting some stupid school education when he can do some useful learning in a job earning money.’

‘Mum, we’ve been over this. If you won’t do it I will.’ Brax sighed bored with the same pointless argument. He took a bite out of his sandwich.

‘Is that so?’ Cheryl scoffed and plonked down on the couch next to Heath, stuffing a handful of his chips from a bowl into her mouth. ‘You’re going to tell me how to raise my own son?’

‘No mum.’ Brax sighed exhaustedly. He was so sick of it all. ‘I’m just doing what’s best for Case.’

‘You think I don’t know what’s best for Casey. Heath, do you hear what your brother is saying?’ Cheryl looked at her middle child for support.

‘I think I might go surfing.’ Heath stood and walked out of the house. He was either stuck in the middle or completely ignored and he hated it.

Brax looked at mum. ‘Look mum, I’m not trying to undermine you. I know you love Casey and you want what’s best for him but just think about what you’re saying. Do you honestly believe Casey’s set out to work for minimum wage at a dead end job for the rest of his life? School could open up so many more doors.’

Casey opened his bedroom door and stepped out. ‘What’s going on?’

‘Come on, let’s go for a walk.’ Brax walked out the door with his brother. When they were near the beach, Casey finally spoke up.

‘That was about me wasn’t it? You and mum were fighting again about school?’

Brax nodded. ‘You could say that. Mate, what do you want?’

Casey shrugged. This was the first time either of his family members had asked what he wanted and he now realised that he didn’t know. ‘It’s still summer. There’s still time.’

‘Not much time. Mate, you get how important it is not to give up don’t you?’

‘Well then I guess it’s too bad I suck at it isn’t it.’

‘You don’t suck Case.’

‘That’s not what the teachers say. And mum.’ Casey dropped his head and put his hands in his jeans pockets as he walked.

‘They don’t know what they’re talking about.’ Brax assured him. The brothers stopped walking and leaned against a railing facing the ocean. ‘For what it’s worth this is your decision. Not mum’s and not mine. Yours. It’s your future.’

‘You keep saying that a lot too.’ The past two months of his life were a broken record, repeating itself over and over again. Summer was supposed to be about forgetting school but that was all anyone talked about.

‘I believe you can do this. Those teachers don’t know you like I do. They don’t know how smart you are. If you try mate, you can prove them wrong, alright?’ Brax poked him in the arm.

‘Alright.’ Casey smiled half-heartedly.

Once Brax had left, Casey stood there watching the sun glisten over the waves. The waves looked great. He hadn’t been in the ocean since burying his sister and for the first time since that tragic day, he actually felt the desire to just plunge in. Taking off his shirt and shoes, he ran into the water like a toddler who’d seen the ocean for the first time; in awe.

The water felt great. Too bad Casey didn’t have his board on him, then he could really let rip. Splashing around, he let the cold liquid soak him.

‘Braxtons don’t swim mate.’ Casey opened his eyes to find Heath hovering near him with his board. ‘We don’t swim, we surf. We’re surfers.’

‘I left my board at home.’

Heath laughed, masking his unease. He would never admit it but he felt unimportant. He always did. Brax was always the responsible one who got praised and every one made a huge fuss about Danielle and would continue to make a fuss over Casey, whether he went to school or not. In the grand scale of things, Heath was the forgotten one. The middle child that went unnoticed.

‘What’s so funny?’ Casey stood up.

‘Oh nothing.’ Heath shook his head smiling and handed his brother his board. ‘Knock yourself out mate.’

As Heath walked away, Casey frowned in confusion. Sometimes he just didn’t get that guy. But at least he got a board. Shrugging it off, Casey turned and paddled into the ocean to have the first surf in months.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEVENTY ONE

‘Hey Casey right?’ Mel caught up to the boy and greeted him on the grassed area next to the beach. Casey turned around and smiled. ‘Remember me?’

‘How could forget?’ Casey replied. ‘Mel.’

‘Yeah, I never got a chance to thank you properly for sticking up for me in school all those weeks ago.’ Mel looked down at her sneakers and then at his face. ‘You didn’t have to do that for me.’

‘It was about time someone set that guy straight. He was always a real jerk, even before he said those things to you.’

‘Yeah, still, I heard you got kicked out for it. Your parents must be pretty mad at you huh?’ Mel worried it was her fault.

‘Nah, mum’s ecstatic. She’s not a fan of school.’ Casey knew how crazy that sounded; a mum who hated her kids in school but it was the truth.

‘Lucky. My mum would freak out.’ Mel smiled and looked at her watch. ‘Actually she’d freak out if I’m late for lunch, so I should get going or I’ll miss the bus.’

‘I could give you a ride.’ Casey waved the keys. ‘I got my brother’s car.’

‘Thanks, actually, you’re not the only one getting out of Reefton Lakes next year. The other guy got expelled too.’

‘Good.’ Casey nodded. It made him feel a little better it was being treated fairly.

‘Yeah, and I won’t be going either. Mum and I are moving to the city next week.’ Mel looked at Casey. ‘We need a fresh start after all that’s happened with the cancer and all.’

‘So you’re leaving?’ Casey was disappointed.

‘Yeah, I’m leaving. Come on, let’s go.’ Mel started moving and the two began to walk along the path to the car park.

The boys cheered on as Heath and Pee Wee wrestled on the beach. It was all in the name of fun and the two brawled good-naturedly for the entertainment. As Brax would say, it was character building. Heath grabbed his opponent and pushed him into the crowd with one big thrust. Grinning, he grabbed a beer and chugged it.

‘Better luck next time mate.’ Heath shrugged coolly. It wasn’t his fault he was a good fighter.

‘You’re the one who needs the luck.’ Pee Wee stood up embarrassed to have lost and wiped his mouth, trying to act cool. The boys laughed and cheered.

Heath moved to the sidelines and chugged down the rest of his beer while the river boys went back to their drinking and partying. He looked up towards the hill and saw his brother walking and laughing with some girl, immediately catching his interest. It wasn’t every day little Case had a run in with a girl.

That wasn’t the only thing that intrigued Heath. The girl was bald and covered her head with a scarf. The last girl he’d known with a scarf on her head died hours after their first meeting. It pulled his heart strings and the beer hit home, making him feel sick and drunk. Not wanting to watch the scene unfold, Heath walked off after grabbing another beer out of the cooler. He had a sudden need to do something.

Walking through the graveyard, he felt weird. This was the first time ever he’d been to the graveyard; he hadn’t even had the balls to attend the funeral. Sipping his beer, he moved through stones and felt put off by the idea of dead people beneath his feet.

Heath moved slowly and thought about how quiet it was while he looked for Danielle’s grave. And then he heard it. The wailing. Searching around, he saw the source of the noise. Tracey Hay. His sister’s mother.

Heath halted in his tracks as he noticed Tracey on her knees placing a bouquet on her daughter’s grave. She seemed upset. Damn, he hadn’t even thought to bring flowers. All he had was a half empty beer bottle. What use was beer to a seventeen year old dead girl?

Feeling a little inadequate, Heath sighed as he lost his nerve and walked off. He had never cried over her and wouldn’t. He had all but spoken two words to her. He felt like he didn’t belong there. Visiting a stranger’s grave would just feel wrong. He had never cried over her, never remembered a memory because there were no memories. And there never would be.

Turning around, Heath chugged down the rest of the beer and headed out of the graveyard leaving Tracey to grieve. And he knew he wouldn’t be back. It had been a stupid idea anyway.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I just thought I'd let you know, this fic is ending pretty soon. It was always supposed to end when the show begins. And Brax'll get a new love interest pretty soon too :P

SEVENTY TWO

Brax sighed as he listened to the man on the other end of his phone. He double checked what he’d just heard. ‘You’re sure it’s all over? Your liquor store, it’s all gone?’

‘Yeah,’ the man on the other end sounded defeated. His livelihood was down the drain. ‘Listen Brax, you know anyone who’d be interested in buying the booze off me? I’m short on money and I need to get rid of all of it. With no store to sell it in, there’s really no point in keeping it.’

Brax smiled as he saw an opportunity but kept his voice level and concerned. ‘You know, I could take the booze off your hands for you right now if you like.’

‘Really?’ the man couldn’t believe his luck. He’d gambled his store and house to bankruptcy and was living in a caravan. This guy was saving his life.

‘Yeah, I’ve been looking to get into the liquor business. Why don’t we meet for drinks or something and work out a price?’ Brax put it out there.

‘That sounds great. Thanks man.’ He was ecstatic.

The two businessmen worked out the details for their meeting and Brax hung up the phone. He finally had some legit business going on for the first time all year. Things were looking up.

Unfortunately, his brother wasn’t quite so ecstatic. Casey pondered his indecision over and over in his head until he felt it was about to burst. On the one hand, his mum would feel betrayed if he went to school and Brax would be proud but on the other hand, Brax would probably find a way to make him go even if he did decide to quit. Either way he was stuck.

He wished Brax would make the decision for him; Casey had always been terrible at making up his mind. He stared and stared into the ocean but nothing came to him.

‘If you stare any harder at all that blue, your eyes might pop out of your head.’ Casey turned around to find Mel standing by him. She moved back part of her scarf with pride to reveal a patch of brown stringy hair. ‘Look, it’s starting to grow back. Isn’t that great?’

‘Yeah, it is. I thought you might’ve left for the city by now.’ Casey was relieved for the distraction.

‘We leave tomorrow.’ Mel smiled chirpily. ‘So, what were you thinking so hard about?’

‘I have to make a decision. But I’m terrible at it.’

‘I’ve never been very good at making choices. You know what I do? I flip a coin.’ Mel held up twenty cents.

‘You want me to put my schooling future on a twenty cent coin?’ Casey looked dubious.

‘You want to decide whether to stay in school or not?’ Mel’s smile disappeared and she put the coin away. ‘I don’t think a coin is appropriate for that decision.’

‘Then what is? This is driving me crazy.’ Casey complained.

‘Well, it’s a tough call. School’s not for everyone. What would you do if you weren’t in school next month?’

‘I don’t even know what I’m going to do tomorrow.’ Casey shrugged. ‘I don’t know, I guess I’d just get a job or something. Maybe my mum can get me something at the fish co-op.’

Mel made a face. ‘Like gutting fish and stuff. Gross. You really want to smell like fish for the rest of your life?’

‘Well, what else would I do? Even if I do finish school, it’s not like I know what I’d do.’

‘Yeah, but think of all the girls who’d be turned off you if you stunk all the time. You’d be like the forty year old virgin or something?’ Mel raised her eyebrows.

‘You think so?’ Casey looked at her sincerely.

‘Well, not that you’re a virgin or anything… I mean, not that you’re not…I’m not trying to imply that….’ Mel got a little embarrassed. ‘I’m sure you’ve had lots of girlfriends…. I mean, I’m not saying you’re a player or….I just … You know what, never mind.’

‘Hey, it’s cool.’ Casey smiled reassuringly. He looked at Mel who smiled sheepishly and he felt honest. ‘Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve never actually had a girlfriend.’

Mel’s eyes lit up. ‘But I see you and your mates hanging around with all those girls.’

‘They’re my brother’s mates not mine. And my brother’s mates girls.’ Casey explained. ‘I don’t even know half of them.’

‘Oh.’ Mel bit her lip nervously with hope but didn’t think Casey would ever be interested in a half bald girl.

‘Yeah.’ Casey smiled. He was totally into Mel and wished he could act on it but the timing was way too off. She was leaving for the city tomorrow and they probably would never see each other again.

When Casey got home that night, he found Brax hauling a dozen boxes into the shed. ‘What’s all this?’

‘I bought a liquor shop.’ Brax put one of the vodka boxes down. Casey picked up another from the back of the car and began helping his brother. ‘Well, not the liquor shop but the liquor in the liquor shop, if you get my drift. The shop’s long gone. I offered to buy the booze off the owner.’

‘Are you planning on drinking it all?’ Casey joked. There was a lot of booze.

‘Where’s the profit in that?’ Brax moved another box.

‘You get insanely wasted. What more profit do you need?’ Heath came out of the house to watch his brothers do the hard labour.

‘You give money and you get it back mate.’ Brax shook his head. ‘That’s what business is about.’

‘You already got business.’ Heath pointed out and Casey who knew nothing about the drugs looked confused. Brax glared at Heath and went to explain but Casey had already forgotten about it and returned to what he was doing.

‘You can never have enough business.’ Brax sighed and put the last box in the shed before shutting the door. He sat on the patio chair in front of the shed and looked past the back fence to the river.

‘I agree.’ Heath sat on the deck looking at his older brother knowingly. ‘Maybe you should think about investing in something again.’

Although Heath couldn’t say it outright with Casey sitting between them, Brax knew what he was implying. The money was getting plenty from their real business and they needed to launder it somehow. And that meant buying into a local business again. The question was which one?

SEVENTY THREE

Brax held two white roses as he walked through the graveyard to visit his sister. Danielle had once mentioned she loved white roses and when he’d seen a rose bush at the park in full bloom, he couldn’t help himself. With one hand in his trouser pocket, he moved around the gravestones and noticed a lone woman in a black dress standing over a grave.

Many women dressed in black at the graveyard so at first he paid her no attention. Eventually Brax slowed as he realised he knew this woman. Observing her, he realised she was sobbing silently unaware that a tattooed man was coming up behind her. Normally, he never noticed people like her but she was different. He had always considered her attractive and it intrigued him to see her cry.

Brax looked at the gravestone. ‘In loving memory of Ross James Buckton (1959-2011), honourable husband, father and detective.’ Buckton. That was where he knew her from. The sergeant must’ve just buried her father. He knew the feeling; burying someone one loves. And it hurt like hell.

‘I’m sorry.’ Charlie turned around to see who was behind her and looked surprised to see Darryl Braxton. Brax hadn’t meant to blurt it out. Seeing her so vulnerable got the better of him and he felt like someone had to say it. Charlie just stared at him in disbelief as she wiped her eyes. ‘For your loss, I mean. Must suck.’ He continued awkwardly and sincerely.

Charlie turned back to look at her dad’s grave and had no idea why a gang leader was giving his condolences to her; a woman who had probably arrested half of his friends. Yes, it most definitely sucked. And the last thing she wanted to do was deal with a miraculously oversensitive criminal on the day she buried Ross so she ignored him. Work and grief had no business with each other.

Brax pressed his lips together and looked down at the roses in his hand. On some of craze involuntary impulse he hesitantly stepping forward, walking past Charlie and went to the stranger’s grave. He bent down to place one white rose by the numerous others left by the funeral attendants. And then he was gone, but not without sending the grieving sergeant a sympathetic yet awkward smile.

Charlie looked up and watched Darryl walk away. She was consumed with surprise. Staring after him a moment longer, she observed as Brax bent to place the remaining white rose on a grave fifty metres away from her position. Seems even the most hardened criminals let their hearts out to play once in a while. With one last look at her father’s memorial, Charlie turned around and moved in the opposite direction.

By the time Brax had finished paying his respects to his sister, Charlie was long gone. He got into his car and drove home to find Casey sitting on the steps of the porch. ‘What’s up mate?’ He asked as he walked up to the boy.

Casey handed his older brother a bunch of papers hesitantly. When Brax took hold of them, he didn’t let go until after a couple tugs.

‘What are these?’ Brax scrunched his forehead in confusion and flicked through the sheets.

‘Registration forms.’ Casey shrugged unsurely. ‘You need to sign them.’

‘For school?’ Brax’ eyes lit up and his brother nodded. ‘That’s great Case. You’re doing the right thing.’

‘Yeah, whatever.’ Casey stood up and went to the open front door. Before he stepped inside, he turned around. ‘By the way, you’re telling mum.’ With that he went to his room.

Casey turned on his iPod to full blast as he lay on his bed. Although he had told Brax he wanted to go back to school, he wasn’t so sure about it. He was only doing it because he didn’t know what else to do. There was no heart in the decision but he’d made it. But even now, he wondered if he would be sticking to it. There was only confusion.

On the other side of Casey’s wall, Brax turned after entering his room and proceeded in closing the door behind him. Putting the forms on his desk, he slammed onto the bed in exhaustion. Staring at his ceiling, he thought about Charlie, the cop who’d actually showed human emotions. The river boys always joked that cops were robots since they were always so professional and to the book, especially the leading sergeant.

Brax had thought she was hot since the day he first saw her but it had never been more. Seeing Charlie on a personal level put fantasies in his mind that would in all reality never come true. Physically shaking off the whims, he rolled over in the bed. At his moment of insanity, he chuckled to the empty room. A cop fantasy? Yeah, right. In his wildest dreams.

And he did dream that night. About what, one could only guess.

SEVENTY FOUR

‘WOOO!’ The Mangrove river pub was packed to the rim. Smoke filled the air, music blasted from the jukebox and bodies sweated against each other with no room to breathe. Every second person held a drink. It was a typical Wednesday night for the river boys who dominated the venue.

Brax sat at the corner of the room while everyone plastered themselves. He took a sip of his drink and leant back on the wall while the boys joked around him. A drunken girl came and sat on his lap. ‘Hey, I’m Keisha.’

‘And I’m not interested.’ Brax smirked and took the insulted girl off him before swigging down his bourbon. The boys on his table laughed as he stood up to walk away.

‘Oh come on mate, show some manners.’ Heath shouted out after his brother as he walked out of the run down building.

Brax felt the sudden refreshment as he stepped out and the noise drowned out to make way for the peaceful night. The drinking and the women were just not doing it for him. Thirty years old and still living with his mum wasn’t what he’d expected of his life. He wanted more.

‘What’s wrong birthday boy?’ Teagan crept up behind him and put her hands on his shoulders. Brax shrugged them off and took another sip from his glass. ‘Oh come on, don’t be like that. Don’t you want your birthday present?’

‘No.’

Teagan looked hurt but immediately put her smile back on. She didn’t want to seem needy. Instead, she put her hand on his arm and looked up at him. ‘If you’re worrying about getting old babe, you got nothing to worry about. You don’t look a day over…’

‘I’m not in the mood Teagan.’

Teagan scoffed and turned to head in. ‘Fine. I’m going inside. Happy birthday.’

Brax waited a while until he went back inside and looking to the bar, he saw Teagan already over it, chatting up a suit. She looked positively drunk. He walked over to the table where the girl Keisha was exploring the insides of Heath’s mouth.

‘Get a room bro.’ Brax slid into the bench seat but they didn’t seem to hear so he ignored them right back. Some other river boys came over with more beer and he took one. While he sipped his, Brody chugged his down hard.

‘Chug, chug, chug, chug!’ The boys yelled and Heath found time off from his session to join in. Brax shook his head and decided he needed to enjoy his birthday so he chanted as well. There was a cheer when Brody put the bottle down with a droopy look on his face and burped louder than the music playing.

Teagan made a face as he walked past with the suited man on her arm. She looked at Brody disgustedly before putting her attention on Brax, all the while wrapping herself around her new friend. She had intended to make Brax regret turning her away and make him jealous but the look on his face said it wasn’t working. Still, she played along.

‘Who’s the suit, Teags?’ Gordo smirked with a judging eye. ‘I know Brax’ been neglecting you gorgeous but I had no idea you were so desperate.’

‘What’d you say?’ The man frowned offended and Gordo stood up and rubbed his hands together, eager for fresh meat. They stepped to the side, to confront each other.

Teagan ignored them and looked directly at Brax matter-of-factly. ‘I just thought I’d let you know I’m leaving.’

‘Bye.’ Brax grinned and Teagan fumed.

‘Do you always have to be so rude?’

‘I’m just trying to have fun on my birthday. Don’t get all crappy with me.’

‘I’m not!’ Teagan nearly stomped her foot in a little tantrum.

‘You’re throwing a tantrum Teags.’ Brax pointed out.

‘I’m not!’ Teagan spoke louder, unaware of the commotion behind her between her friend and Gordo. They were facing each other off. ‘I’m not! You are!’

‘Hun, does he look like he’s fuming?’ Brody slurred and looked at Brax who was sitting calmly. Looking behind Teagan, he shook his head as Gordo pushed the suited man, both men by now livid.

‘No, I don’t. Do I Teags?’ Brax asked with his lips pursed and turned his eyes from her to the beginnings of a fight behind her. He had a feeling things would end badly. Emptying his glass, he stood up slowly, ready to intervene.

‘Shut up! I’m so sick of you, you know that.’ Teagan looked down at the table in a rage and saw a bottle. Picking it up, she threw it at the wall behind Brax. Brax jumped.

‘Are you crazy?’ Brax took his arms away from his head as he stood up straight again. Before she could answer, Gordo took the first punch at the suit and he went flying back. Teagan turned around in shock and gasped. The boys stood up, eager to join in, including Heath. Keisha got out of the seat and ran to the door out of the way.

The pub was in a commotion by now. Everyone was flying punches where ever they could. Bodies slammed into each other full of adrenaline and alcohol; an unsuitable combination. Brax sighed and grabbed Teagan’s arm as he led her out. And then, the shouting and banging was drowned out yet again by the open night air.

‘Thanks.’ Teagan gasped as Brax let go. She regained her composure and glared at him. ‘I don’t get you, you know that? One minute you’re nice, the next you’re acting like a huge a-hole.

Brax sighed as he heard the sirens. He ignored the criticism. ‘Go home. The cops will be here soon. And then he was gone.

SEVENTY FIVE

Two nights after the pub incident, the river boys partying out at the beach with a small bonfire, an iPod dock and an ice cooler of beer. It was a smaller affair, yet equally as wild. Heath howled into the night sky with a beer in his hand.

Brax had had an eventful birthday bailing his brother out of the police station and as much as he tried not to, he kept looking for her. But of course, the sergeant had the night off. Probably best she didn’t see him in a professional environment anyway but he was definitely disappointed.

‘Hey there gorgeous. Did you miss me too much?’ A man who’d been arrested at the party slurred as the cops walked towards them. The boys laughed.

‘Turn off that music.’ Charlie pursed her lips. Brax sat in the same position he’d been in all night with his arms on his knees casually and looked over to her as she walked past. The guy closest to the iPod looked at Brax and he nodded discreetly. The music turned off.

‘What’s the problem Sarge?’ Heath was annoyed.

‘The problem is you and your mates are causing a commotion at one in the morning. Some people actually sleep around here.’ Charlie was equally annoyed. She gulped as she felt Brax’ eyes staring at her intently behind her to the right.

‘Not our fault we’re not geriatrics who need to sleep so early.’ Stu volunteered and the boys chuckled.

‘Yeah,’ Heath agreed. ‘Not our fault either that you pigs closed down our pub either.’

‘You should’ve thought of that before you went and sold drugs in there.’ Watson smirked sarcastically. She hated it when the perp didn’t get caught. ‘Oh that’s right, you weren’t selling anything were you?’

‘No ma’am.’ Heath grinned and saluted to Brax. ‘Just having a mighty old time with my bro.’

Charlie looked at Brax at the sound of his name and turned back to Heath, noticing the intense look he was giving her. She hated the night shift, and she sure hated idiots like them making her life harder. ‘You boys need to pack up and leave. Take you nonsense somewhere else.’

The boys just stood there. Watson glared at them impatiently. ‘That means now, not next year, move it.’

Brax nodded his head discreetly again and hesitantly, the boys moved to pack their things while the cops watched to make sure they followed orders. While Charlie watched the river boys, Brax kept his eyes on her. She was back in cop mode, he noticed. Personally, he liked the Buckton in the graveyard better. Even though she had been sad, there was more depth in that Charlie than the one standing in front of him.

Charlie sighed impatiently all too aware that she was being observed and tried to ignore it but involuntarily ended up looking in his direction. They made eye contact and Brax realised that he’d been wrong. There was definitely depth. It was in the eyes. There was a certain sort of vulnerability there that intrigued him.

Charlie abruptly turned away, intimidated by the river boy’s intense gaze. To her, it felt like his eyes were searing through her and she felt exposed under his scrutiny. As the boys finally finished, she went back up the beach to the squad car with Watson behind her and sighed. It was a relief to be out of Brax’ range.

The next day, Casey and Brax got in the black car and headed into Summer Bay. Stepping through the doors into the local high school, Casey looked around feeling a little out of place. This place was no Reefton Lakes. The hallways were cleaner and the lockers graffiti free. He suddenly seemed a long way from home.

‘Hello.’ A small middle aged blonde woman smiled and greeted them with a handshake. ‘I’m Gina Palmer, the principal. We spoke on the phone. You must be Darryl.’

‘Brax, please.’ Brax greeted her. ‘This is my brother Casey.’

‘Of course, I’ve heard a lot about you.’ Gina gestured towards the stairs. ‘Why don’t we go up to my office and talk?’

The boys followed her to the mahogany office past the assistant’s desk. They sat in front of a large desk while Gina took the swivelling chair behind it. ‘Well, why don’t we get straight to it.’

‘Right, you mentioned on the phone that there were some issues with the enrolment?’ Brax asked. ‘I was wondering what those might be.’

‘Casey, you were expelled from your last school, yes?’ Casey nodded. ‘For a brawl in the corridor. That’s no light discrepancy.’

‘No, it’s not.’ Brax was not letting one mistake jeopardise his brother’s future. ‘Mrs Palmer, Casey knows he’s done the wrong thing and learnt his lesson. We’re just trying to move past it and work towards a future.’

‘I appreciate that. That’s all we can hope for.’ Gina agreed. I’m responsible for all those students in this building and I will not tolerate disruptive or violent behaviour in my school, do you understand?’

‘I do.’ Casey spoke solemnly. He really didn’t want her to say no but he had a feeling she might. It had taken a lot of talking to even be considered for enrolment after his expulsion. ‘It won’t happen again.’

‘Look, I’m not going to lie to you. Your school records are below average and you’ve been in trouble at school more times than you’ve shaved in your life. Most people wouldn’t even glance at your application.’

‘You did.’ Brax insisted. ‘You must’ve done that for a reason.’

‘I’m a strong believer in second chances. I have three sons myself and god knows they’ve made their fair share of mistakes to last a lifetime. Casey, I want to give you that chance, I really do, but I need you to be willing to make an effort.’

‘I will. I promise.’ Casey promised.

‘Good.’ Gina stood up and held out her hand to shake. The boys stood up and followed suit. ‘I hope I’m not going to regret giving you this chance.’

‘You won’t.’ Brax couldn’t believe it and neither could Casey.

‘School starts tomorrow morning at 8.30 sharp. Don’t be late.’ Gina smiled as she walked out from behind her desk. ‘Welcome to Summer Bay.’

‘Thanks.’ Casey’s eyes gleamed.

Gina looked at her new student seriously. ‘Don’t let me down.’

SEVENTY SIX

‘I’m thinking this sucks.’ Pee Wee lay upside down on the couch smoking a joint. All the river boys were bored beyond measure without their favourite pub.

Brody was sitting on the arm chair building a house with toothpicks. ‘I’m thinking the same.’

‘We need to do something.’ Mick complained as he sat leaning against the couch on the floor. ‘There’s got to be somewhere we can go. We’re the river boys; we got a reputation to keep up. The chicks are going to think we’re going soft.’

With the crop still not done, they couldn’t work either. The surf was out with the lack of waves at Wilson’s. All the boys sighed collectively in the smoke filled room and moped. It was another long day.

Brax walked into the house and stopped short at the door when he saw his boys bored to tears. He frowned and waved his arms at them. ‘Oi, what’re you blokes doing scraping around on my floor?’

‘Nothing.’ Brody whinged and tipped his toothpick creation over and slopped back in the chair. ‘We’re always doing nothing.’

‘Absolutely nothing.’ Pee Wee agreed uninterestedly.

Brax rolled his eyes and continued walking on his way. ‘Well, it’s really great to know you’re all being so productive, eh. Keep up the great work.’

Reaching his room, Brax closed the door behind him and sighed. As great as his mates were they could be a pain sometimes. Sitting down at his desk, he rifled through the papers and began to take care of his mum’s bills like he’d been doing for the last decade.

There was a knock at the door before long. Casey popped his head in. ‘Hey Brax, you know there’s a bunch of whinging children moping around smoking pot in our lounge room?’

‘Yeah, I noticed.’ Brax smirked. ‘They’ll go home eventually. Just a little bored, that’s all. With the pub gone and the waves lacking, the boys are a little short for fun.’

‘So I noticed.’ Casey raised his eyebrows.

‘Are you ready to start at your new school tomorrow?’ Brax asked his brother as he turned his chair around.

Casey shrugged, trying to put it off. ‘Can’t I just start on Monday instead?’

‘Nice try mate, you’ve already missed the first four days of school because of registration. You don’t need to miss anymore.’ Brax shook his head. ‘I’ll buy you the uniform tomorrow after school. Then you’ll officially be a Summer Bay student.’

‘Lucky me.’ Casey joked sarcastically. ‘Anyway, mum called to say she’ll be late again tonight so do dinner without her. You know what that means.’

‘Pokies.’ Brax understood all too well. He looked at the stack of bills next to him and sighed. They had plenty of money saved so it wasn’t a problem but it always irked him that Cheryl was so careless with her money. His money really, since he usually gave her loans.

‘I’ll call Heath to pick up something on the way?’

Brax nodded and grinned. ‘Yeah, you do that. And tell him to bring something for those idiots in the lounge too. They’ll be starved after all that hard yakka keeping our couches warm eh.’

Casey laughed and shut the door before calling his other brother.

‘Yeah mate. Gotcha.’ Heath spoke into the phone to Casey as he stood by the waveless beach. He really hoped it would start getting surf worthy soon; he was starting to miss the beach. ‘See you in a bit, yeah?’

Putting his phone back in his pocket, he went to the diner. Going up to the counter, he rolled his eyes at the line. At least there was a hot blonde in front of him. It didn’t hurt that she had a great back to check out and pass the time.

When it finally reached him, he found a short surly lady behind the counter. She looked him up and down judgementally. ‘Well, don’t just stand there. This is the part where you order something?’

‘Right.’ Heath rolled his eyes and grinned. Just to get on the lady’s nerves, he prolonged it and looked down at the menu thoughtfully even though he knew what he was going to get. ‘Hmm, I wonder what I should order.’

‘I don’t have all day.’ The woman tapped her feet.

A red haired lady a little younger rolled her eyes and nudged the rude woman. ‘Colleen, show some manners would you?’

‘Oh all right.’ The woman who was Colleen glared at Heath who was thoroughly enjoying making her impatient.

‘Well Colleen, I think I know what I’m going to get.’ Heath declared to the world.

‘I’m not a mind reader boy. You need to actually tell me your decision.’ Colleen sighed.

‘Right,’ Heath nodded as if she were saying the most interesting thing ever. ‘I’m thinking three grilled cheese and four ham sandwiches, six double decker beef burgers with the lot, and a grand total of thirty fried chicken wings. I’ll get the beer somewhere else, thanks waitress.’

‘We don’t sell beer any who.’ Colleen widened her eyes at the insane order. Of course, she had no idea all that food was to feed ten men. ‘My god, he’s feeding an army!’

As Colleen went scurrying into the kitchen in frenzy, Heath grinned. Looking sideways, he found a hot blonde chick glancing at him weirdly as she waited for her order. He shrugged cheekily. ‘What can I say? I’m a man who likes his wings.’

Bianca shook his head and ignored him. Men sometimes could be such pigs. Leah came by with her take out. ‘Thanks Leah, I’ll see you tomorrow night at Angelo’s.’

Heath laughed and moved to the side so someone else could be served while he waited. Sitting on the stool by the counter, something caught his eye.

‘Singles Night?’ Heath picked up the flier and read it. There would be lots of hot desperate single women, which was exactly what the boys needed to get out of their rut. The bar it was in sounded a little out of their element, but the river boys could blow up any joint. Folding up the flier, Heath put it in his shorts pocket for later.

Lucky Last :wink:

SEVENTY SEVEN

The river boys sat in the Braxton’s lounge room digging in deep into their diner food primitively. Everyone crowded around the coffee table pecking at gulfing down their food like seagulls. The singles night flier sat amongst all this with gravy stains on the edge.

‘I’m serious. We should really go to this thing.’ Heath bit it into a chicken wing and took a sip of his beer. ‘Women and booze, what more could you ask for?’

‘Better than sitting around doing nothing eh.’ Gordo pondered as he took a chunk out of his burger.

Brax finally got out of his room after doing the bills. He took a plate from the kitchen and grabbed some wings as well before sitting on the floor next to Casey. ‘What’s better?’

‘This.’ Heath handed his brother the flier. Brax looked it over scrupulously and crumpled it up before throwing it at him.

‘Some posh joint, really?’ Brax smirked in between bites. ‘Since when were you a tapas bloke?’

‘Since never.’ Heath annoyingly pushed the paper off him. ‘But I am a women’s bloke eh? What do you think?’

‘I think you boys really are getting desperate.’ Brax thought. ‘Why are they having a singles night anyway?’

‘Whatever man.’ Heath shook his head and chewed. ‘The guy’s slow on business and wants to drum up business or something.’

Brax looked up from his food. He’d suddenly seen an opportunity. ‘Oh yeah? Why didn’t you just say that in the first place? I want that restaurant.’

Heath shrugged.

The next day after dropping Casey off on his first day of school, Brax walked along the park to see a familiar face leaning her elbows on a ledge and reading a familiar flier. Smiling, he walked up to her from behind.

‘You didn’t strike me as the kind of girl who needed help dating.’

Charlie turned around and turned back to the Angelo’s flier, ignoring him. ‘Not that it’s any of your business but I don’t.’

She moved to walk away but Brax walked with her. ‘Then why are you reading that?’

‘Leave me alone, Darryl.’ Charlie spoke with authority but her unwanted companion just grinned.

‘See, I don’t think you want that.’

‘You don’t know what I want.’

‘You might be surprised at what I know.’ Brax alluded and stopped walking but Charlie kept up her stride, her flushed face hidden from him. ‘I’ll see you tonight, eh?’

Taking a deep breath, Charlie got into her car and sped off in a daze.

The next time Brax stood outside the surf club, it was dark. Walking in with his boys, he headed up the stairs first with Heath at his side. Entering the establishment, they were in for disappointment. As far as single’s night went, the women were scarce and the atmosphere bored. But all that was about to change. The river boys were in town.

Brax commanded an instant presence in the room. He had always had the power to attract attention to himself wherever he went. Looking around the restaurant, he liked what he saw; good lighting, great view and open space. While the boys took their seats, Brax went to the bar with his brother.

‘Evening gents.’ Angelo walked up from behind and took over the bar.

‘Oh, a friendly face.’ Brax observed.

Heath leant against the counter. ‘That’s right; you did me for speeding last year.’

‘Cost me four hundred bucks.’ Brax complained. Just his luck he was always paying his brother’s expenses. Grinning, he tapped the bar. ‘What are you doing behind a bar? Undercover, eh? Big drug bust going down.’

‘No, I own this bar.’ Angelo was losing his cool. ‘And I don’t want any trouble, you understand?’

‘Don’t get heavy, we’re just some lonely unattached guys come to meet some single girls.’ Brax waved a wad of cash on the counter. ‘I’ll have a bourbon thanks.’

‘Same. And a beer chaser. Thank you waiter.’ Heath raised his eyebrows smugly.

As Angelo turned around to get their order, Brax turned around and leant his back against the counter just in time to see her go to the girl’s room. The woman sure looked good in anything.

For the next half hour, he didn’t hide his intrigue. As he watched her intently from across the room, Charlie was all too aware of it.

‘Why are the bad ones always so hot?’ Bianca pondered.

Not able to withstand it any longer, taking a deep breath for courage, Charlie looked sideways towards Darryl Braxton and

immediately felt the rush of the very thing she’d been trying to ignore overwhelm her. The minute the two made eye contact, she gulped and instantly turned back away. Bianca was right; the bad ones were hot. That was exactly why she should be ignoring the urges welling up in her body. That was exactly why she shouldn’t be glancing over to him continuously.

But she was. Charlie was looking at him and feeling what she was feeling and as discreet as she was trying to be, Brax’ silent smile indicated he knew exactly what he was doing to the Sergeant. And he knew she liked it. It was all in the eyes.

Now he just needed to convince her that. With a knowing smile, he gazed at Charlie Buckton intriguingly. Darryl Braxton knew, he just knew – this was the start of something beautiful.

THE END

...Well, I think we all know what comes next. :wub:

Big thank you to all who's read and commented. It's lovely to hear your opinions.

Comments

Archived