The Ties That Bind

Guest mizziette

THIRTY

Heath sat on the beach helping Darcy learn how to body board while Teagan was out on a catering job for the afternoon. ‘Heath, watch this. I think I got the hang of it.’

The little girl paddled onto the low wave and Heath couldn’t help but feel proud. It amazed him how alike she was to him. They had the same smile and eyes; she even had the same cheeky sense of humour as he did. Even though Teagan had sworn she wasn’t his, Heath had always had his doubts but didn’t want to make a big deal of it. Darcy was in his life whether he was her dad or not. In the end that was all that mattered; if Teagan didn’t want him to know, he wouldn’t know.

‘That’s my girl!’ Heath applauded as she cruised along the wave on her body board. ‘You’re doing it!’

While Heath was hanging out with Darcy, Brax spent the day at Mrs Stevens’ house, helping her out with the plumbing. ‘That should do it, eh. If it plays up again just give me a shout.’

‘Thank you Darryl.’ Mrs Stevens got her walking cane and shuffled to sit on the couch. ‘You’re a good boy.’

‘I think my mum might disagree with you on that one.’ Brax laughed as he cleared up his things. ‘How about I fix us something to eat before I go?’

‘That’d be lovely.’

When Brax walked back home after lunch, he took a shower. He had been helping out his neighbour with odd jobs for the last few weeks now and even though she was stubborn, he could tell she appreciated the extra pair of hands to do her groceries, maintain her house and help her move around.

The door slammed shut. Brax turned off the tap in the shower and dried and covered himself with a towel. ‘Casey, is that you?’

The answer was a grunt. It was like the fifteen year old had lost the ability to speak in the last couple of years. Brax rolled his eyes as his little brother shut his room door behind him. Casey Braxton took teenage angst to a whole new level.

‘Hey Brax, guess who’s teaching me how to ride a wave?’ Darcy walked in through the door as Brax stepped out of the bathroom in his towel.

He grinned as Heath followed the little girl into the house. ‘Would it be Heath?’

Darcy looked surprised. ‘How’d you know?’

‘I can read minds. You want a drink?’

‘If you could read minds then you’d already know that I do want a drink.’

Brax went to the fridge and poured three glasses of lemonade for himself, Heath and Darcy. Sitting on the sofa, the little girl turned to the TV to watch Sponge Bob but got bored easily. Seeing Casey scamper out of his room, she grinned. ‘Will you play on the trampoline with me Casey?’

Casey grumbled. ‘No, I’m busy.’ The girl’s face fell.

Brax gave him a deathly stare for being so aloof and dismissing her. He gestured sternly to him, unimpressed with his attitude. Casey sighed and went out to play with Darcy in the backyard.

It was almost sun set when Darcy sat in the passenger seat next to Heath. Two officers in blue stopped their car for a random breath test.

‘Good evening Holden. Long-time no see. How’s the lady?’ Heath grinned. ‘Rosetta, we just keep running into each other, don’t we?’

‘Have you been drinking today?’ Jack rolled his eyes with the breathalyser in his hand.

‘No.’

‘That’s a load of barnacles.’ All three men looked surprisingly at the passenger seat where Darcy looked quite cross. They all waited for her to explain. ‘He drank today. He drank a whole pitcher of lemonade.’

Jack, Angelo and Heath laughed but the little girl was still very cross. ‘I’m so sorry Constable Holden; I don’t know what’s gotten into him lately.’ She turned to Heath shaking her head in disappointment. ‘Didn’t your mummy ever tell you it’s rude to lie? You don’t want a big nose like Pinocchio do you?’

Heath couldn’t help smiling to himself after he passed the breath test and went on his way. He knew there was a possibility that Teagan was lying to him about her paternity but it didn’t matter. He would always be there for Darcy Callaghan no matter what.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIRTY ONE

‘Did you hear the news?’ Heath walked in through the back sliding doors to find Brax making himself breakfast in the kitchen.

‘What news?’

‘Rosetta done in Holden. Every town in the district’s talking about it. The idiot got arrested at Holden’s funeral. Shame we didn’t know he was a dirty cop sooner. Could’ve been some help to us, eh?’

‘Yeah, shame.’

Casey slumped out of his room. ‘I’m going to the beach.’

‘No, you’re not.’ Brax stopped him with his voice. ‘It’s a school day, go get ready.’

‘What’s it to you? It’s not like mum cares.’

‘Don’t argue with me Casey; get a move on before you’re late.’

Casey sighed and grumbled. ‘Yes, mum.’

‘Go to school Case.’ Heath chuckled as his little brother called Brax mum. He had to admit, the guy did parent a lot. Ever since their dad had left, he had become the main provider for all of them.

‘The town’s short two coppers, that’s got to make our job easier, eh?’ Brax rolled his eyes and changed the subject. ‘Fitzgerald’s out for a few months too.’

‘Yeah, cops seem to be dropping like flies.’ Heath went to raid the fridge. ‘I don’t think they’ve blamed anything on us for a while now.’

Brax went to sit at the table with his toast. ‘Don’t jinx it.’

The boys went to the beach after breakfast. It was a sunny summery day and they couldn’t wait to head out into the water to cool down. Brody met them at Wilson’s and as they walked down to the shore, they found a displeasing site.

‘What the hell are they doing on our turf?’ Brody frowned as he watched Jake and Hammer Piravich with their mates surfing on their beach. The river boys walked up to them cautiously.

‘Darrryyyllll!’ Jake opened his arms welcomingly and threateningly, grinning from ear to ear. ‘So glad you could join us mate.’

‘You know the rules, Jake.’ Brax squared off with his rival. ‘Clear off before things get ugly.’

Jake’s gang laughed. ‘You threatening me, mate?’

‘Not yet.’ The boys backed off slightly when they saw an officer walking up to them.

Constable Watson stopped in between the two gang leaders. ‘You boys playing nice?’

‘Constable Watson.’ Hammer melodramatised. ‘I’m sorry for your loss, eh?’

‘How is Holden hanging these days?’ Jake joined in, eager to get rid of the cop.

Watson didn’t seem pleased by the insensitive teasing. ‘I’d watch your mouths if I were you?’

Jake was on a roll. ‘Are you going to shoot me if I don’t?’

‘No, they only do that to their own kind, right mate?’ Hammer piped in.

Brax sighed as he watched it unfold. It was one thing to try and get rid of a cop but using a dead guy to do it was just plain dirty. He was glad none of his boys were joining in. That would have been too much for him to handle.

‘Why don’t you get out of here, eh, Jake?’ Brax couldn’t take the insensitivity anymore, he didn’t care that he was starting a fight in front of a cop. ‘Go back to where you came from.’

Heath grinned. ‘Yeah, off you go back to your old lady. She’s a real looker though, eh?’

The blow hit hard as Jake boiled over and pushed Heath. Before Watson could react, Heath was hitting back and it took a while before both boys were in handcuffs. Brax sighed as his little brother got hauled off to the cop shop yet again. Not again.

Sitting at the station, he thought everyone seemed a little gloomy but it was to be expected after they just lost one of their own. Impatient, he walked up to a young female cop with dark hair to get news about his brother. ‘Are you planning on letting my brother out anytime soon?’

Charlie looked up from her paper work. ‘And who might your brother be?’

‘Heath Braxton.’

‘You’re one of the river boys.’ Constable Buckton smirked. ‘Darryl, right?’

Brax wasn’t interested in messing around. ‘My brother?’

‘He’s still being processed. Exercise some patience; it might do you some good.’ The unimpressed woman walked into the interview room. She’d only been in town for a few months but she’d heard of the river boys’ reputation. She didn’t have time to deal with useless questions. Grieving the loss off Jack and arresting her boyfriend for his murder had taken a toll on her.

THIRTY TWO

Hugo Austin walked into the Club and took a seat at the bar, ordering himself a drink. ‘Bourbon thanks.’

‘I’ll have the same.’ A tattooed man pulled up next to him. ‘I’m Brax. I hear you’re new in town.

‘Yeah, Hugo. Just moved from Indonesia.’

Brax motioned for him to follow when they got their drinks. ‘Let’s go to that corner table where it’s more private.’

Hugo sat next to him at the table with his glass. ‘I think we have mutual friends in Indonesia. You’ve been to Bali haven’t you?’

‘Yeah, I own a business there. I spend a couple weeks a year there. Pretty nice surf.’ Brax took a sip out of his drink. His time in Bali had introduced him to many international criminal connections including contacts in the people smuggling ring, which was the purpose of their conversation at the club.

‘Can’t say I do much surfing.’

‘Well, mate; you got to try it sometime, eh?’

Hugo smiled coolly, all too familiar with the smooth criminal types like Darryl Braxton. ‘Not really my thing.’

Brax noticed the flashy bling on his new associate. ‘Nice watch. Must’ve cost a bit.’

‘Good money in the smuggling business.’ Brax frowned. Drugs were one thing, but shipping away people in boxes just sounded plain cruel to him. He didn’t agree with Hugo’s source of income but had to enlist his help.

‘Let’s just get this over with.’

When Brax got home from his drink it was late. Sneaking in to the dark house, he was startled to find Heath still awake. ‘What’s the new guy like?’

Brax shrugged. ‘Seemed a little soft but he’ll do.’

Heath got up from the couch and walked over to his brother. They had done some drug deals with Hugo’s wife Suzy and the money was supposed to be collected from Austin that night. ‘You get it.’

‘It’s all there.’ Brax put the yellow envelope full of cash to Heath, who checked it greedily. ‘I’m going to bed. You make sure that’s hidden well.’

The next morning, the boys woke up to find Casey slugging down his milk straight from the carton in true boyish style. ‘Go to school Case.’ Heath grinned and joked.

‘It’s Sunday.’ The youngest brother grumbled and slammed the milk carton on the counter before heading outside.

‘Can’t even put the damn carton in the bin.’ Brax grumbled as he went to dispose the empty container and Heath smirked, enjoying it when his big brother got all into Casey’s business.

‘You coming with me to hand the boys their pay checks?’ Heath waved the envelope of cash they received from Hugo the night before.

Brax got an apple and headed out the door. ‘Last I checked, you’re old enough to do without a babysitter. I know you’re a little slow at times mate, but I’m sure you can manage without me holding your hand for a few hours.’

Heath smirked. ‘Where are you going anyway?’

‘Out.’

‘She’s never going to go for you, mate!’ Heath shouted out as Brax got into his car and drove off, guessing who he might be going to see.

‘Hey, Brax, Brett’s gone to meet your brother about something.’ Joey opened the door to her house still in her pyjamas.

Brax grinned nervously and held out a flyer. ‘I’m not here to see him. I heard you got fired from your last job and found something you might be interested in.’

Joey let him in and took the flyer. ‘You didn’t have to do that. A pawn trawler. This is great, thanks Brax.’ She reached up and embraced the blushing man in a warm hug.

‘It’s really no big deal. I’m happy to help.’ Brax found it hard to speak while in such close proximity to his crush and reluctantly stepped back, trying to act cool. ‘The job’s in Summer Bay, near the pier. Robbo’s the boss, a bit on the touchy side but it’s the best I could find.’

‘It’s hard to find anyone that’ll hire a chick in the fishery business. That’s why I stick to girls. Men can be such pigs sometimes.’ Joey smiled and touched his arm, making the poor guy almost have a heart attack. ‘Except you of course. You’re nothing like those pigs, are you?’

Brax slowly shook his head.

THIRTY THREE

Brax walked along the beach and observed Joey talking to a cop. The young cop brushed her hand on her arm and the women smiled at each other before parting ways. He quickly hurried to catch up with Joey as she started walking towards him.

‘Joey, what did the copper want?’ They met halfway.

Joey had a dopey look on her face but lied, not wanting Brax to pity her. ‘Oh, she just wanted to talk to me about the complaint I made against the pawn trawler the other week.’

‘Not really police business.’

‘Yeah, but there was an altercation during the inspection when Robbo decked the inspector.’ She pulled her long sleeves over her hands and huddled into herself, wanting the conversation to be over. ‘I should get going.’

‘Wait.’ Brax turned to grab her arm as she tried to scurry past him and she yelped in distress, immediately causing him to let go. ‘Joey, what’s wrong? Are you alright?’

Joey nodded with tears in her eyes and ran off leaving the river boy dumbfounded.

Later that day Brax and Heath invited some of the boys over to hang out at their house including Brett. ‘Mate, what’s the deal with your sister? I saw her at the beach this morning and she was all over the place.’ He went to the fridge to grab some more beers.

Heath reached over and grabbed a beer off his brother, covertly giving him a cheeky teasing glance as he always did when the subject of conversation reached Joey Collins. Brax rolled his eyes and sat on the couch, ignoring the look.

Brett sighed angrily. ‘I’m damned if I know. First she quits her job, and then makes up some stupid story about Robbo raping her. Next thing I know she’s calling herself a dyke and shacking up with a bloody chick cop.’

‘Joey moved out to live with a chick? That’s hot man.’ Brody smirked and the river boys all laughed only to be halted by Brett’s deadly stares.

Brax however was concerned. The female cop he had seen at the beach must’ve been Joey’s girlfriend. They looked cosy enough. It also explained why she had been so distressed by his harmless touch. He could only hope he could’ve been there for her.

Summer Bay was a lot more developed and visually appealing than Mangrove River. As Brax drove through the streets the next day, he couldn’t help but feel envious of the seemingly privileged lives that were led so close to his home. The car slowed as it drove towards an ambulance parked next to the park.

The street was filled with cars and the ambulance was blocking some of the way so Brax parked for a while until they left. Looking around at the crowds of people he noticed that it was a wedding. There was a distressed pregnant bride with curly brown hair helping the paramedics’ wheel in a girl that Brax recognised all too well.

It was Belle Taylor, a girl he had dealt to on more than one occasion and he sighed as he realised that she might have overdosed on the drugs he sold her. He hated moments like that when he was reminded of the repercussions of his actions. It was easier thinking of his business as business and shutting out the emotion but it was harder when the mistakes were right in front of him, in the form of an unconscious young girl.

The ambulance drove off and the crowd began to dispatch, allowing Brax to keep driving. Eventually, the guilt ridden man reached his destination. Going up to the back of the house, he knocked on the door.

‘I’m not supposed to answer the door to strangers.’ A young boy’s voice spoke from out the kitchen window.

‘I wouldn’t want you to, eh mate.’ Brax smiled friendlily. ‘I’m a friend of Joeys. I hear she’s living here now. Is she home?’

‘Wait here.’ The little blonde boy ran into the house and the door opened, Joey’s face ducking out from the house.

Joey smiled. ‘Brax, what’re you doing here?’

‘I heard you switched sides and shacked up with a cop.’ Brax stood awkwardly on the back porch. ‘Brett told me what happened to you. Why didn’t you say anything?’

‘Because I just want to forget about it.’ Joey looked like she was about to cry and he just wanted to reassure her that everything would be alright. ‘The girl I’m staying with, she’s been great though so you don’t have to worry about me, okay?’

‘I can’t help it. I’m the worrying type. I’m here if you need anything.’

‘You’re Brett’s mate and he doesn’t believe me.’ Joey reached the door to shut it. ‘Aren’t you river boys supposed to stick together?’

‘I’m my own person.’

‘I’m sorry. I don’t want anything to do with my brother anymore and as much as I like you, you’re too much a part of his life.’ The next thing Brax knew, the door was slammed in his face and he was left confused.

THIRTY FOUR

‘Joey got a job on a boat heading out for months.’ Brett complained to the Braxton brothers as they sat on their surfboards at Wilson’s beach, waiting for a wave. ‘If it’ll keep her away from that copper it’s good enough for me. The nerve of her, forcing my little sister into being a lesbian only to go off with Austin.’

‘Hugo Austin and a copper.’ Heath laughed. ‘How does that work? He’s as criminal as they get. Must be pretty good at playing respectable eh?’

Brax leant on the board, ready to paddle. ‘The guy may be an A-hole but at least he’s a smart one. Got the whole bay fooled from what I hear.’ He jetted off through the water at full speed to catch the set.

That night, Brax got a visit from someone he wasn’t expecting. Because it was so late, he took her out into the backyard, so as not to wake the house up. ‘I thought you didn’t want to talk to me.’

‘Did Brett tell you?’ Joey huddled against the cold night air.

Brax nodded. ‘It didn’t work out with the copper eh? You can never trust the law.’

‘I don’t get why you river boys are so against authority. You dish out your own authority but won’t take anyone else’s.’ She didn’t know about their illegal activities.

‘When are you leaving?’

‘Tomorrow. That’s why I’m here to say goodbye.’

Brax’ heart sank. Tomorrow was less than twelve hours away. ‘Guess this is goodbye then.’

Joey reached up and put her arms around his neck, hugging him closely. ‘Thank you for always taking care of me.’

‘It’s what I do, isn’t it?’

‘Still, you’ve been more of a brother to me than Brett ever would. You didn’t have to be my friend but you did.’

The brother comment stung but he remained cool as she smiled at him in the moonlight. ‘I’ll see you around, I guess.’

‘Not for a while though.’ Joey tip toed up and kissed him softly on the cheek and then moved to leave. ‘Bye Brax.’

When she was almost around the corner of the house, she turned around. ‘Brax?’

‘Yeah.’ Brax looked up at her.

‘Some girl’s going to be very lucky to have you one day. In another world, I know I would.’ The way she said it and the way she smiled sympathetically seemed like she was acknowledging Brax’ crush. With that, she turned the corner and left.

Three weeks later, Casey got out of bed, eager to get in the water. Morning surf was his favourite ritual. He could very easily sleep in when there was school but like his brothers, if there was a decent tide; Casey Braxton would probably be at the beach before dawn.

‘Where are you going?’ Brax saw his youngest brother try to dash out of the house in his boardies while he made breakfast.

‘I’m going surfing with some mates from school.’

Brax nodded. ‘Do me a favour and don’t head out to Summer Bay. There are rumours of shark attacks going around. They found a severed hand on the beach yesterday.’

Casey grinned. ‘Cool.’

‘You wouldn’t think so if it was your hand. Be careful out there today.’

The teenager rolled his eyes. ‘As you wish. If that’s it, I’ll be going now, shall I?’

It wasn’t long before Casey left that someone else ran into the living room, hurriedly looking for something. ‘Oh my god, I’m so late. I have to be in uni by seven. Langley’s going to kill me if I’m late again.’

Brax sighed and held up the black bra on the kitchen counter. ‘Looking for this?’

Heath’s newest conquest blushed and took it off the man, still holding half her clothes in her arms. Brax was glad his mum was nursing a hangover and wouldn’t be awake for hours; she would’ve had an aneurism waking up to this.

The embarrassed girl left and Brax took his toast out of the toaster, looking forward to eat his early breakfast in peace but was disrupted again by Heath. ‘You know I think you slept with her mate last week.’ He made fun of his little brother who was groggy and still half asleep. It was no secret that Heath Braxton was a ladies man.

Heath scoffed and took a swig straight out of the juice carton. ‘Shut up mate. You’re just cranky because you’re not getting any anymore. Not that you were getting any anyway when Joey was here but you know-‘

Brax threw a berry at him. Heath was right. He needed to start getting back into the game. If only he knew where to start.

• 3 weeks later...

hey sorry its been so long since my last update. thanks for the comments. here it is:

THIRTY FIVE

Brax drove along the highway running late to meet the boys at the crop in the national park. It had been over two months since Joey’s leave and he was getting back into his business and into the dating pool. He had met May at the surf club the other night and spent the night at her place in Summer Bay. Rumour had it she was dating the newly returned Rosetta but that just made her more appealing. As he drove through the manicured streets he felt the usual envy of the outsider looking in.

He slowed down as he passed a dishevelled police officer walking to her car, with her shirt half unbuttoned and her hair in a mess. Someone clearly had a nice night. Brax wolf whistled causing Constable Buckton to glance up self-consciously; secretly hoping no one she knew had seen her coming out of her infamous colleague’s house in the early hours of morning.

The black Holden pulled up into the crop site before long. Instantly, Brax noticed the gloomy faces as he got out of the car. ‘What’s wrong?’

‘See for yourself.’ Heath gestured his head to the bleeding man on the dirt behind him. ‘Found him lurking around our grounds.’

‘DARRRRRYYYYLL!’ The man on the ground smirked as he tried to ease the bleeding from his nose and sat up. ‘How’s it going mate?’

Brax kicked Jake back into a lying position causing him to groan in pain in between his tyrannous laughing. ‘You want to tell me what you’re doing here Pirovic? Or do you need a little persuasion?’

Jake spat in his face and sat back up. ‘Shut it Braxton. I’m just a stand up bloke going for a stroll in the park, aren’t I? Nothing to you.’

‘See, that’s the thing, we don’t believe you.’ Heath smirked and squatted, his face threateningly close to Jake. ‘You’re on our crops so that makes it our business. And that makes you an intruder.’

‘And we don’t like intruders, do we boys?’ Brody piped in and the rest of the boys jeered.

‘No, we don’t.’ Heath looked at Brax who nodded nonchalantly and grinning, he stood up and crunched his knuckles, ready to rumble.

Later that day, Heath got a ride back into town with his brother. It had been an interesting day and they were knackered. Heath caressed his red scraped knuckles as he sat in the passenger seat. ‘Wonder why Pirovic’s messing with us.’

‘Maybe you should’ve asked him before you took care of him.’ Brax shrugged, stepping on the accelerator as they reached the highway, barely noticing the tires were playing up on the back wheels.

‘Doesn’t matter anyhow, Jake Pirovic won’t be talking to anyone for at least the next couple of weeks. Think he was trying to pinch our stuff?’

‘I got Brody and Mick to torch his car in front of his house after dumping him. He and his boys need to know they can’t mess with us and get away with it.’

Heath smirked. For a second there, he’d thought his brother was going all soft after the whole Joey saga but was glad to see him back to his old notorious self again. It was about time.

The phone rang and Brax took it out to answer it, now driving barely under the speed limit. ‘Yeah?’

‘It’s done.’ Brody spoke over the phone in the passenger seat of Mick’s car in Reefton Lakes.

‘Everything’s cool?’

‘Not unless you count Hammer having an aneurism when he saw his brother on the porch and the car in flames. The idiot was anything but cool. Had quite the laugh watching him.’

Brax sighed. ‘You stayed and watched the fireworks? Are you crazy mate, what if someone saw you?’

‘They didn’t. We stayed well off, I swear.’

‘I’m not interested in taking any chances. Be more careful.’ Brax looked through the side mirror to find red and blue lights flashing behind him. ‘Listen, I got some unwanted guests. I’ll call you later.’

Hanging up the phone, the boys pulled the car over onto the side of the road, quickly followed by the cops. They sighed as Angelo got out of the driver’s seat and made his way over to Brax’ window.

‘Darryl Braxton, I should’ve known.’ Angelo smirked as he leant against the open window. ‘You do realise that driving while on the phone is illegal?’

Heath grinned, even though he was not pleased to see him. To him it seemed like coppers got away with everything, even murder and he hated it. ‘I’m surprised they gave you back the uniform mate. You have a nice holiday in jail, did you? I think you might’ve shared a room with a mate of mine, although I’m pretty sure he didn’t kill a cop.’

‘I ran into a mate of yours last night actually.’ Brax smiled, more than happy to take his hit as well. ‘Her name was May something? Seemed like a nice enough chick; downright devilish in bed though, don’t you reckon?’

Angelo clenched and unclenched his fists, now feeling a little less guilty for cheating on her with Charlie the night before now he knew May had been doing the same. It still irked him however, that it was Darryl Braxton.

‘You do realise that you have committed a traffic offence.’ He held back the urge to punch the gang leader, instead focussing on his work. ‘You’re endangering other people and yourself by using your phone on the wheel. It’s very serious; I wouldn’t be joking around if I were you?’

‘Wouldn’t dream of it. I understand completely officer.’ Brax dramatized and sincerely made fun of the officer’s serious tone. ‘I just wish it wasn’t you that stopped me. Now that sizzling copper I saw doing the walk of shame to her car this morning, I’d take her over you any day. She’s a lot easier on the eye to be honest.’

Angelo blushed at the comment, hoping he wasn’t talking about Charlie. Heath noticed the red cheeks and laughed. ‘This chick a mate of yours Rosetta? You two had a little roll in the sheets did you?’

‘Licence and registration.’ Angelo clenched his teeth, eager to get rid of them. ‘I’m going to have to write you up for a traffic violation.’

THIRTY SIX

Brett Collins stormed into the Braxton house fuming and paced around angrily, barely noticing Brax and May sprawled intertwined on the couch. ‘Ah!’ He irritably pushed the bar stool towards the wall abruptly and put his face in his hands.

‘How about a raincheck?’ Brax kissed his girlfriend reassuringly, trying to minimise her scared shock at the angry visitor. May nodded her head and left and he turned and looked at his friend who kicked the fallen stool shortly. ‘You want to break any more of my chairs or are you right?’

‘Damn that pig of a woman!’ The angry man shouted to nobody in particular.

‘They all are mate.’ Brax grinned trying to brighten the mood. ‘Your lady giving you trouble is she?’

‘What, no.’ Brett looked at the couch, as if finally realising that he wasn’t alone and took a deep breath. ‘Buckton.’

‘When are you going to give that up? Your sister’s gone, it’s over. Just forget about the copper. Let it go.’

The eldest Braxton walked over to the fridge and took out a couple of beers, handing one to his mate who accepted it gratefully. After a lengthy swig, Brett continued, allowing the burning alcohol to calm him. ‘I saw her today. All smiles. Who does she think she is, being so happy after messing with my baby sister like that?’

‘Tell me you didn’t do anything stupid.’

‘I was just so mad at her; I had to do it Brax. You should’ve seen her. She was all over that pig, you know, May’s ex. Here I was thinking she was some manipulative lesbian trying to brainwash Joey and there she is with that copper like everything’s dandy.’

‘Brett, mate, tell me you didn’t.’

‘Run her over? Yeah, I did.’

‘How could you be so stupid? She’s a copper!’ Brax sighed and leaned his palms against the island. ‘Did she see you?’

Brett’s anger turned into concern for the first time since he’d arrived. ‘Rosetta saw me. He yelled at me. I drove straight here.’

‘You idiot! You know they’re going to be looking for your car so you park right in front of my house, where everyone can see it?’

‘I didn’t think-‘ His concern was now reaching panic. He didn’t want to go to jail.

‘Yeah, that’s right, you didn’t think. Go dump the car. They can’t know it’s yours.’

As he moved to follow his mate’s orders, the unmistakable sound of sirens filled the air just as Brett walked out the front door. Before he knew it, he was surrounded by two cop cars, armed at the ready. Running wasn’t an option, the Braxton’s backyard opened into Mangrove River, the river the town got its name from. He was cornered.

It was well after dark when Brax returned home from the police station. Brett’s arrest and processing had taken longer than he had thought. Grabbing his half-drunk beer from that afternoon, he sat on the couch tiredly ready to drain the bottle. It seemed as if all his mates were dropping off one by one.

‘No luck?’ Heath’s voice echoed behind him in the silence of the night.

Brax sighed. ‘He ran over a cop. They’re not giving bail.’ It was times like these when he hated his life. What had seemed like a good idea when he was fourteen now seemed horrific in comparison to what he could have instead.

He was a smart guy, there had to be more in the world for him than monthly visits to the police station bailing out his mates. The only place he’d end up now was the graveyard or prison, neither very appealing. That was what you got when you were played with lives, and that’s exactly what Brax was doing. Every gram of weed he sold put someone closer to death and the disappointed man downed the last drops in his bottle in resignation before getting up from the couch to get another one.

THIRTY SEVEN

‘Brax! Brax!’ Teagan ran running around the Braxton’s house looking desperately for him. The panic was rising in her chest until she could barely breathe anymore. She leaned her hands on the kitchen counter trying to calm down and stop the tears from streaming. ‘Brax, where are you?’

When footsteps reached the distraught girl it wasn’t Brax that sought to comfort her. ‘Teags, what’s wrong?’

‘Where’s Brax?’ Heath held her arms comfortingly while she hyperventilated. ‘I … I need Brax. Do you … know where … where he?’

‘He had to go into Yabee Creek for a little bit. Teagan, tell me what’s wrong. I can help you.’ He grabbed a bar stool and sat her down on it. ‘Come on, take a deep breath. You need to breathe.’

Teagan took a deep breath, reassured by her friend’s gentle touch on her shoulders. Tears were drying on her face and she looked up at him, wiping her nose. ‘I saw Grant. Heath, he’s back in town again.’

‘Did he hurt you?’ Heath fought the urge to punch his fist on the counter and instead took a tissue and wiped her wet face surprisingly gently considering the anger that was building in him at that name.

‘I saw him sitting by the beach with some girl who looked like him. I got so scared for her, she couldn’t know what he was capable of. He didn’t see me though. I got out of there as fast as I could.’

‘That’s good. That means he probably still thinks you’re out of town, right? Right?’ She nodded and leant her head against his toned chest while he stroked her hair like a baby. ‘You got nothing to worry about. He’ll be gone before you know it.’

‘I hope you’re right.’ As soon as she’d seen her brother, Teagan had rushed in the car, needing to be in the safe protection of Brax’ arms and found she was resenting him for not being there to keep her safe. Heath’s presence was just as comforting but his brother’s absence felt like a crushing blow.

‘Aren’t I always?’ That got an unimpressed disbelieving snort from the young blonde.

Brax got home that night to find a strange sight on the couch. Teagan rested her head on his brother’s shoulder while he wrapped his arms around her. He hadn’t seen those two that close since they were teenagers.

The young woman looked up and wiped her red swollen eyes before standing up. ‘I should go relieve the babysitter. Bye Brax.’ She looked down at her consoler more tenderly. ‘Bye.’

When she’d left, Heath watched the older Braxton look knowingly at him while he unpacked the groceries. ‘What are you looking at?’

‘What’s with her?’

‘What’s it to you?’ Heath walked to the fridge and took the orange juice, drinking straight from the carton.

‘Just wondering, is all.’

‘She’s scared of Grant. She saw him on the beach this morning.’

Brax slammed the bread down on the counter hard, nearly crushing it. ‘What? What’s that idiot doing back.’

‘You’d think he’d know better than to show his face here, wouldn’t you? Especially after you took care of him.’

‘He obviously hasn’t learnt his lesson.’

‘Obviously. What are we going to do?’ Heath drained the remains of the juice carton in his hand and slammed it pragmatically on the counter.

Brax took a breath and looked rationally at his brother. ‘Beldcoe’s in our territory, right?’

‘Yeah, he crossed a line.’

‘And what do we usually do when people cross lines they’re not supposed to?’

Heath nodded sombrely as his brother’s words sunk in and the solution dawned on him.

THIRTY EIGHT

Heath walked in and slammed the morning paper down on the kitchen counter in front of Brax. ‘Looks like someone beat us to it.’

Half the front page consisted of the face of the River Boys’ enemy of the week. Grant Bledcoe’s smug smile in the photo made Brax want to wipe it straight off. ‘He’s dead?’

‘That’s what it says, isn’t it? Stabbed. I told you we shouldn’t have waited.’

‘Christ Heath, we weren’t planning to kill the guy, just teach him a lesson. Or have you forgotten the rules? Does Teagan know?’

‘I’d be surprised if she didn’t. It’s all over the news. I heard they got in some kook detective from the city too.’

‘Just what we need. Another do-gooder up in our face.’

The afternoon was spent at the beach both in the water and on the sand. Drying off under the hot spring sun, Brax sat mesmerised by the water in front of him. ‘Lovely day for a surf, isn’t it?’

The wet river boy looked up against the glare of the sun to find a quirky man in a suit gazing into the distance. ‘You don’t look like you’re going surfing.’

‘I’m not. Not for me thank you very much. Solid ground does me just fine. Any way it’s a Friday. You’re not supposed to go into the sea on a Friday. It’s bad luck.’

‘Only if you believe in that kind of stuff. And I always thought its only bad luck travelling on water.’

‘No matter. I’d rather not take the chance. I’m Detective Robert Robertson.’ The man held out his hand.

Brax found it hard to suppress a laugh at the name. ‘How imaginative. I suppose you’re here to question me or something?’

‘Why would I do that? Unless you know anything about the murder of the man local police found on the beach yesterday? Or maybe you’d like to confess?’ Robertson smiled smugly.

‘Nah, nah, you coppers don’t usually strike up conversation with me or my boys for no good reason, that’s all.’ Brax stood up and wiped off the sand on his butt with his hands. ‘So if you’re done, I’ll be on my way shall I? Good luck with finding your killer, eh. Keep the streets safe and all that.’

As he started on his way up towards the car park, the detective halted him with his voice. ‘While I’m here, did you know the victim, Mr Braxton, is it?’

‘It’s Brax. And not personally know. From what I hear though, he wasn’t a very nice guy.’ Brax frowned as he realised the newbie knew his name.

‘Yes, that seems to be the party line around here. Even the sister told me as much. She was quite adamant about her hatred for the man. You wouldn’t know her by any chance, what was her name, Teagan Callaghan?’

‘I might. If we’re done here Detective, I think I’m going to go home and wash off the ocean off me.’

After his shower, Brax dressed in a checked shirt and dark jeans before going straight to Teagan’s house. Robertson hadn’t seemed like the kind of guy who’d play good cop and he wanted to make sure she was handling it alright. ‘Hey, how are you? I heard a detective came by hassling you.’

Teagan kissed him on the cheek and led him into the living room. ‘Yeah, he’s a real piece of work. He thinks I did it.’ She paused. ‘Brax, was it you?’

‘No. Bravo to whoever did though.’ Brax saw the tortured look on his friend’s face and clutched her hand protectively.

‘Is it wrong that I feel relieved? When the cops came to tell me, it felt so liberating. Did you know he has a wife and two kids who thought he was an angel. Little did they know.’

‘That means you have two nephews or nieces, right?’ Teagan nodded in agreement as Darcy came in and got comfortable with her dolls at the coffee table.

‘I never thought of him as family so I can’t see myself ever connecting with them. I feel nothing for him but hatred.’

‘You know what, I bet more than half the people in his life hated him in some way. Trust me, you’re not alone. Although you might want to tone down your anti-Grant campaign around the cops. It doesn’t make you look good.’

Teagan smiled. ‘I hate it that you’re always right. It’s frustrating sometimes.’ She leaned her head on his shoulder, suddenly noticing Darcy’s melancholy presence. ‘Hey sweetie, are you alright?’

‘My friend said that her mum said your brother’s dead. I told her that you didn’t have a brother but she kept saying you did.’

Teagan leaned down to her eye level. ‘Yeah my brother did die but he wasn’t a very nice person. He hurt mummy a lot when she was little so we didn’t talk.’

‘Is that why I don’t know about him? Because he was mean to you?’ Her mother nodded sympathetically and Darcy hugged her. ‘I’m sorry you got hurt mummy. I hope you feel better.’

‘You know you might feel a little better after having dinner at my place. Mum’s been complaining about you and Darcy not coming over enough.’ Brax observed the moment.

‘I think we might just have a quiet night. I need some alone time, socialising won’t do me any good.’

‘Oh come on, don’t give me that crap. You need to forget for a little while. It’ll do you every bit of good.’

Darcy gave her two cents worth, eager to go to the Braxton’s and play with Casey. ‘You should listen to Brax mummy. He’s always right you know. You said so yourself.’

Brax laughed and mentally polished his halo. ‘Darcy, I think you just made yourself a new best friend.’

THIRTY NINE

‘Officer suspected for Bledcoe murder!’ The front page headline of the newspaper caught Brax’ attention as he solemnly read through the article while sipping his morning coffee on the couch. What was it with the cops in the district these days? First Rosetta and now Buckton; chances were she’d get less than a slap on the wrist too. River boys always payed full price while they let their own off scot free. The preferential inequality of it all was everything he hated about the boys in blue.

He read the article once. And then as realisation hit, he read it again, this time more slowly. And again. And again. After the tenth time, he flung the newspaper onto the coffee table. God, it was her. It had to be. The girl Teagan talked told her about, the one she saw being hurt by Grant. And she had a daughter too. From Grant, the product of a repulsive act thrust upon her at only thirteen. Teagan’s niece.

Brax’ mind was spinning and he had no idea why this was affecting him so badly. He was usually so calm. He knew her too. All along the girl he had pitied all those years ago was right under his nose masquerading as a fearless cop. He had discarded her as an officer, an annoying obstacle in his life as he always regarded the police not recognising her as a human with feelings. And fears. Oh, the fears she must have.

Walking along the beach, he breathed in the warm October air and sighed. He walked along the length of the coast for over an hour, enjoying the sun and clearing his mind. Vaguely Brax noticed that the rocky dunes of Wilson’s beach had all but disappeared, giving way to the vast sand of Summer Bay.

The beach was silent and uncharacteristically deserted. In the distance, Brax’ eyes caught a young blonde woman huddled near the trees covering the beachside houses. Teagan looked unusually small and timid as she sat huddled with her arms around her tucked in legs.

‘What’re you doing all the way down here?’ Brax sat next to her and put his hand protectively on the small of her back.

‘She lives here.’ Teagan answered distantly, gesturing backwards with her head to the beachside house hidden behind the trees behind them.

‘Who?’

‘It’s like none of it affected her. She’s a copper for god’s sake. It might’ve been in different ways but we’ve both been fouled by him but she still gets everything. What does that say about me?’

‘You still haven’t told me who she is.’

Teagan looked at him accusingly. ‘Who do you think? Buckton. The girl in the basement. The girl I saw get-‘ She couldn’t finish the sentence.

‘It’s okay. Teags, come here.’ Brax took the crying girl in his arms and rested her head on his shoulder. After a period of silence, he put forth his opinion on Charlie Buckton. ‘You know, things aren’t always as they seem. Just because something looks perfect and put together doesn’t mean it is.’

‘You saying she’s as messed up as I am inside? How deep of you.’

‘Don’t mock me. It’s true. Look at you, you always act like nothing gets to you but anyone who looked twice would see you’re oozing with softness in there.’ He poked her chest lightly.

‘I’m glad you think so.’ Teagan was happy Brax had been spending a lot more time with her since Grant’s death. His comforting kisses were heaven in her currently screwed world.

‘Teags, you want to tell me why you’re stalking this chick?’

‘I’m not stalking her. I just wanted to see what she was like. I only met her once before when she was thirteen; I was curious. Not only about her but her daughter as well.’

‘You know you can’t just keep turning up at a copper’s doorstep.’

‘I’m on a public beach. It’s not my fault her house is right on the beach and it’s not like I’m trespassing anyway.’

‘I’m just saying, it’s not smart.’

Teagan pulled away. ‘Why do you always do that? Do you think I’m not smart? You’re always talking to me like I’m some little kid, telling me what to do. Not just me, you do it to everyone. Do you think you’re smarter than the rest of us?’

‘That’s not what I meant and you know it.’

‘Doesn’t matter. It’s what it sounded like.’ Teagan got up slowly and walked away leaving him alone, near the bushes.

Brax wasn’t alone for long, however. No sooner than the blonde woman walked off, a slender brunette walked out from her backyard onto the soft warm sand. He hid himself deeper into the bushes as Charlie Buckton leaned against a trunk ten feet from his hidden position on the beach. She hadn’t noticed him yet; she was too absorbed in her own thoughts as she gazed onto the ocean.

Charlie sighed deeply and Brax made every effort to be the quietest he could. From the delicate profile of her face, he noticed a certain sadness to her. She seemed filled with longing, for what he could only imagine. Her eyes, he was sure would be as cloudy and unclear as the deep blue sea she gazed upon.

Without a word, Charlie Buckton turned around and went into her house, oblivious to the curious observer in the proximity. Before Brax could think twice, she was gone, taking away her heavy heart with her.

Archived