considering moving to sydney , from ireland

Guest MOC

hey all , im megan , changed my name here from belle-for-life to moc few months ago , im from dublin ireland , and considering moving over to sydney for 6`-12 months from feb 2012

a few questions you guys might be able to help me with ,

are there any good job websites i could use

cheap accomidation

wheres a safe place in sydney to live

hope you guys from bttb can help . any feedback would be appreciatted

megan

Hi, I have a friend who came to Sydney from Dublin to work for a few months.... that was 12 years ago! This is his advice:

Living

Bondi and Coogee are extremely popular with backpackers. If you want to be around lot's of Irish people then these are the places to be. Randwick is another great place to live. These suburbs are in the Eastern Suburbs and therefore close to the beaches (Coogee, Bondi, Bronte etc.).

There are some great places to live in the Inner West too. Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne are just a few minutes from the city and, unlike Bondi and Coogee, backpackers don't tend to stay in these areas.

For a more eclectic experience Newtown is the place to be and the areas around Newtown are nice too (Glebe, Camperdown). These suburbs are only minutes from the city centre and not far from the aforementioned beaches either.

So where you choose to live depends on the living experience you are after.

Accommodation

If you are only here for a short term stay then you'll be looking for temporary accommodation which starts with hostels. Here are a couple of links to do some research on hostels. Check the comments from people who have actually stayed there and don't just rely on the blurb written by the hostel owners themselves;

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/australia/sydney/

http://www.hostels.com/sydney/australia

The notice boards in hostels will have adverts for people looking for room mates in apartments or houses so you'll be able to source other potential living arrangements this way.

Working

You need a visa to work in Australia which I'm sure you know. USIT has information on their website if you need further information - http://www.usit.ie

hey all , im megan , changed my name here from belle-for-life to moc few months ago , im from dublin ireland , and considering moving over to sydney for 6`-12 months from feb 2012

a few questions you guys might be able to help me with ,

are there any good job websites i could use

cheap accomidation

wheres a safe place in sydney to live

hope you guys from bttb can help . any feedback would be appreciatted

megan

Hey Megan :)

I too am desperate to move to Sydney at some point. Problem is I'm only 18 and haven't even gone to uni yet. However, I have done a lot of research into moving to Australia, and there are many things you need to consider first.

1.) Either your job needs to be on the list of skilled occupations e.g, Doctor, Nurse, Engineer, I.T expert, plumber, builder etc. These are all jobs which you will need to be highly skilled at, and will have to have plenty of experience with. You could also just try to apply for jobs over the internet, however, the chances of you getting said job if you are not on the skilled occupations list, is extremely slim. You would need this for a "working holiday" visa, which allows you to stay for up to a year.

2.) Cost of living is very hish in Sydney (it is a major city), and the accomodation is not that cheap. My mum's friend has just moved to Tamarama, and has a highly paid job, but is still struggling to afford her house and all of the living costs. Even rent or a motel would be expensive for six months. I would suggest saving up some money before going.

Just try typing in australian jobs for immigrants. As far as places to live, Bondi and Tamarama seem fantastic and the beaches are just stunning (better than Palm Beach :P) The only place I've heard is a bit rough is Maroubra. Western Sydney seems nice enough. Good luck, I hope you manage to get over there.

Archived