Pregnant Proportions

Guest mizziette

FORTY ONE

‘I just went to see Liam in the hospital to get his statement.’ Charlie sat on her couch with Aria and Bianca. ‘He seems to recuperating nicely.’

Bianca sipped her juice. ‘He is. The doctor thinks he might be able to get out of the hospital in a couple of weeks. Of course, he’ll still have to be on bed rest. ‘

‘But at least he’ll be home. You don’t think it’ll be too hard, with the baby coming in four weeks and Liam being out of action for a while?’

‘I have you to babysit.’ Bianca smiled.

‘As long as you take him back afterwards, I would love to. One baby’s more than enough for me.’ Charlie’s phone beeped and she reached over to check it and frowned.

‘Everything alright?’ Bianca inquired, holding Aria on her lap as the little baby played with her pregnant belly.

‘Yeah.’ Charlie put her phone away after checking her text message. ‘It’s just my inspector, reminding me about the meeting tomorrow with the prosecutor assigned to Jake’s trial. I guess this means I can’t go to the child birthing class with you tomorrow.’

‘It’s okay. I’ll find someone else to go with. Work still giving you a hard time?’

Charlie nodded. ‘Most of the colleagues at the station are fine with me, it’s just my bosses. They don’t think I’m capable of remaining impartial anymore given my personal life.’

‘That’s insane. You’re an incredible cop.’ Bianca looked outraged as she played with the baby’s arms, lifting them up. ‘Your personal life should be none of their business. Have you talked to Brax about this?’

‘You know him; he just flies off the handle and gets upset. He’s trying to be supportive but badmouthing my bosses doesn’t help me. Brax always has been a fist first kind of guy. He prefers direct action which in this case would just make it worse.’

‘It must run in the family. I mean, look at little Aria here.’ Bianca gestured to the little girl on her lap who was making noises to the belly and bonding with her unborn cousin. ‘She’s not wasting any time getting to know her cousin. That’s straightforward right there.’

‘It’s amazing how fast she’s growing.’ Charlie admired her daughter. ‘I put her on my bed while I was getting ready for work the other day and she’d managed to lift her head and back up on her own almost til she was sitting up.’

‘My little girl’s growing up, aren’t you sweetie?’ Bianca cooed and tickled the little baby making her laugh and squirm. ‘Before you know it, she’ll be doing her HSC and obsessing over boys.’

‘Don’t even go there!’ Charlie exclaimed. ‘My little girl’s staying little forever whether she likes it or not.’

‘Well, who wouldn’t want to be this cute little thing forever?’ The women watched as Aria knocked on the pregnant woman’s belly curiously, jumping back in shock when the little guy kicked back from the inside. ‘So what are you going to do about work?’

‘I don’t know. I’ll figure something out. I always do, don’t I?’

---------------------------------------------------------

April Scott yelled out in delight as she read the contents of the big fat manila envelope. ‘Bianca, I got in! I’m got into medical school!’

‘Congratulations!’ Bianca hugged her sister, so proud of her little overachiever for getting into the course she wanted. ‘I knew you would do it. I’m going to be late for my childbirth class but we are definitely celebrating tonight. Angelo’s at seven, okay?’

‘Am I invited?’ The women looked at the door to find Heath leaning against it.

‘Um, not unless you're serving.’ Bianca smirked jokingly and grabbed her purse before heading towards the door. ‘April, I’m proud of you, okay? See you tonight.’

‘Yeah, see you.’ April gleamed in delight as the expecting parents left.

They drove in Heath’s beaten down white truck and headed to the class together. Charlie was the only one going to be in the birthing room with Bianca but Heath had been curious and offered go in her place when she’d cancelled for work commitments.

They sat in the car in an awkward silence on the way there. Even though Bianca had insisted things were okay, Heath felt a little uneasy around her but he knew he had to get over it sooner or later since they were going to be raising a child together. The fire had changed him, made him more vulnerable and humble and it was a welcome change to everyone.

‘Oh!’ Bianca exclaimed and grabbed her belly tightly as it contracted. ‘Oh!’

‘What?’ Heath exclaimed, shifting his eyes between Bianca and the road nervously. ‘Is everything okay?’

‘I don’t know! I think I’m having contractions.’

Heath made an abrupt U-turn and headed in the opposite direction, straight towards the hospital and hit the gas. ‘Hold on.’

An hour later, Heath was sitting in the waiting room with Liam next to him in a wheelchair. Liam had insisted on getting out of his hospital room when he’d heard about Bianca being there and the boys were now waiting nervously for news in silence.

‘How’s your back?’ Heath asked uncomfortably.

‘I’m right.’ There was a new sense of tolerance between the two after the fire and kidnapping. ‘Sid says my burns will heal in a couple of months at the most so…’

‘Yeah…’ More awkward silence.

‘So you two were heading to a child birth class?’ Liam nodded uneasily.

‘Yep. Charlie couldn’t go so, you know.’ Heath tapped his foot on the floor but a glare from his companion put it to a stop.

Liam looked at the reformed river boy. ‘I guess I should thank you. You know, for throwing water on me and getting me out of the fire. The doctor said if I burnt any longer my skin might’ve been irreparable. So thanks. I owe you one.’

Heath didn’t know what to say. In his mind, he didn’t think he deserved it and frankly, he wasn’t too comfortable with it either; it wasn’t often when somebody offered him respect like that. ‘There’s nothing to thank. It’s you who deserves it. You were pretty awesome back there, Murphy, diving into the fire like that. At least for a muso. You saved my son.’

‘Love makes you do stupid things.’ Silence followed yet again. There was a new found respect between the men that hadn’t been there before.

‘I never meant to get in the way.’ Heath felt awkward getting the words out but he knew he had to make amends. ‘With you and Bianca. I mean, at first I did but then… you have nothing to worry about. She’s your girl, I know that. I won’t mess with it.’

Liam looked impressed. ‘Are you sure you’re Heath Braxton? The idiot I know would’ve never come up with that willingly.’

‘I guess the idiot’s starting to grow a brain.’ Heath smirked.

‘Liam, Heath.’ Sid walked over to the boys with news about Bianca and Heath stood up and wheeled Liam over to the doctor.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FORTY TWO

‘Mild discomforts my ass! How could he possibly call it mild discomfort? It felt like I was being rammed.’ Bianca grumbled to no one in particular. ‘He’s a man for god’s sake! What does he know?’

‘In his defence, Sid is a doctor.’ Charlie smiled.

‘Yeah, well, that means zilch when you’re the one in pain. It’s not like he’s even been pregnant before. How would he know what Braxton Hicks Contractions feel like?’

‘Oh honey, I don’t think Sid Walker ever will.’

‘You remember false labour from Ruby don’t you? You know what I mean?’ Bianca looked at her for reassurance.

‘It’s different for every woman but yes, I can relate. It’s very frustrating.’ Charlie was more amused than anything.

‘No, what’s frustrating is that I still have to wait for the baby to pop out. I just want to get it over and done with, this being pregnant thing is driving me crazy.’

‘You won’t be saying that when you’re in the labour room.’

‘That bad?’ Bianca looked worried.

‘Let’s just say it’s a lot more than ‘mild discomfort’.’

‘You sure know how to freak a girl out. But the worst part of it is, Liam and Heath acted like it was all a big fat nothing.’ Bianca concluded. ‘And what was really weird was that they were getting along.’

‘I thought that was what you wanted.’

‘Yeah, it is, I just didn’t think it would be so weird. I’m so used to them fighting all the time.’

Charlie smiled. ‘Don’t complain about the good things. Just enjoy it while you can. Knowing them, it might not last long.’

‘This was different though. They seemed really sincere and everything. And Heath, he’s changed since the fire, haven’t you noticed?’

‘Yeah, I have.’ Charlie curled her toes into the sand she sat in. ‘I think I like the old Heath though; at least then I knew what to expect. Mr Nice guy is a little unnerving.’

‘Actually, he’s always been Mr nice guy deep down, he was just afraid to admit it.’ Bianca looked at Charlie.

‘Either way, it looks like things are working out for you.’

‘Yeah, it sure does.’ Bianca admitted happily.

--------------------------------------------------

Irene was baffled when she saw who was at the door. ‘Cheryl?’

‘Are you going to let me in or not?’ Cheryl shoved past the redhead into the house with a large box of things. ‘Where’s that Bianca girl?’

‘Cheryl?’ Bianca came down the stairs yawning sleepily to see what the commotion was. ‘What’re you doing here?’

Cheryl pragmatically placed her large box on the coffee table and began to take stuff out. ‘You’re still in bed at eight in the morning? Honestly, it’s a wonder you ever get anything done. For god’s sake, woman, if you’re going to remain in your night clothes, at least tie up that robe.’

Bianca self-consciously tied up her red silk robe over her long sheer nightgown before repeating her question. ‘What are you doing here?’

‘I’m just going to be in the kitchen, love.’ Irene called and left.

‘I’m here to help you get ready for the baby of course.’ Cheryl looked at her grandson’s mother. ‘I never had the chance with that copper and look at what she’s doing to my granddaughter. I figured I’d do you a favour and show you how it’s done.’

‘I….’ Bianca could only gape.

‘It’s alright. You can thank me later. Now come on, sit. I brought some old stuff from when the boys were babies. I thought you might need them.’ She sat on the couch and patted the empty spot next to her.

‘Thanks but I already got everything I need from the baby shower.’ Bianca reluctantly sat.

‘What baby shower? Why wasn’t I invited?’ Cheryl looked confused and her companion gulped.

‘It was a surprise. I didn’t know about it until I walked into Charlie’s front door. I would have invited you if I’d known.’

‘Charlie Buckton. That’d be right. Just her style not to invite the grandmother of the child.’ Great. Now Bianca had gotten Charlie in trouble.

‘Don’t feel so bad.’ A voice erupted from the direction of the door and Joanna Scott walked in. ‘The girl didn’t invite me either.’

‘Oh god, mum!’ Bianca put her head in her palm. This was going to be a long day and she still hadn’t had breakfast yet.

‘Don’t you look excited to see me.’ Joanna smiled sarcastically and sat on the couch opposite. ‘If I’d known you’d found a replacement for me, I would have just stayed in my hotel.’

‘It’s not like that mum.’ Bianca sighed. ‘Cheryl just made an unexpected visit.’

‘Yes. She’s a first time mother. She needs all the help she can get. And I can guarantee I won’t have my grandson fed with gold spoons and drinking out of crystal baby bottles. No Braxton is going to be a spoilt brat. He’s got know he needs to earn what he gets.’

‘I think I’ll be fine.’ Bianca started unpacking the box. ‘I told you, I’m completely prepared.’

‘So you’re absolutely confident in raising a child? Not even the slightest worry, you don’t think you’ll drop the baby, or run out of diapers, or that you can’t handle being awake for 36 hours straight.’

’36 hours?’

‘Thank the heavens you’re only getting one boy. You try changing a wailing baby’s diaper while he’s pissing in your face and you’re already half an hour late for work because your other kid decided to wet the bed last night. And while you’re changing the little one, try having to deal with a whiny three year old running circles around you and breaking everything in sight as he’s making Tarzan noises at the top of his lungs.’

‘Brax made Tarzan noises?’ Bianca couldn’t help but smirk.

‘It’s not funny.’ Cheryl scoffed dramatically. ‘You don’t know what those boys put me through and I don’t want you to ever have to. That’s why I’m here.’

‘You know, Cheryl, I think it’s my job to teach my own daughter how to raise a child.’ Joanna smirked.

‘And what’re you going to do, tell her to hire a nanny?’ That shut her up.

‘Look, both of you, I really have things under control. I’ve been fine so far on my own so I think I’ll be fine doing the rest. Mum, I’m going to fine. Cheryl, thank you for the… whatever this is.’ She held up some contraption in her hand.

‘It’s a breast pump.’ Joanna explained to her confused daughter.

‘Looks like you don’t know everything do you, princess?’ Cheryl stood up, feeling a little too pleased with herself and started walking up the stairs. ‘Well, are you going to show me the nursery or not? For my grandson’s sake, I hope it’s better than the one that copper set up for Aria. That room was a hazard, at least until I got my hands on it.’

Bianca looked at her mum desperately before getting up and following Cheryl. It was eight in the morning on a Sunday and the poor woman hadn’t even had her coffee yet. And if she had to deal with Cheryl Braxton for the next however many hours, she would surely need all the energy she could get.

FORTY THREE

Charlie was walking along the beach towards Angelo’s with Brax, Ruby, and Aria when she ran into her best friend. The family had been having a day on the beach and they were going to grab some lunch. ‘Bianca, how’re you?’

‘Hey, I’m good.’ Bianca stood up from the bench and hugged her in greeting. ‘Family day, is it?’

‘Yeah, we spent the day at the beach. Got to teach Aria how to swim first before she can surf.’ Brax joked and kissed Charlie on the cheek. ‘Tell you what, we’ll just meet you inside?’

Brax took the baby out of his girlfriend’s hands and headed into the club with Ruby. Charlie smiled knowingly when they walked away. ‘So, I heard you had a visit from the grandmother mafia.’

‘Brax told you?’ Bianca received a nod and sighed. ‘Let’s just say it’s going to be a long eighteen years. That is, if I live that long. Cheryl stayed for six hours tearing apart the nursery and ‘fixing’ everything. Mum of course ran the first chance she got.’

‘Only six hours? Lucky you. I got the extended course when Aria was born.’ Charlie grinned. ‘Note to self, twelve years in the police force does not prepare you for twelve hours alone with Cheryl Braxton.’

‘You have to admit though, Ma Braxton sure knows her stuff. I think I might have actually learned a thing or two about the art of parenting from her.’

Charlie agreed. ‘She had to raise Brax and Heath, and given what they’re like, she ought to. They can be a real handful sometimes. Even now. Anyway, Cheryl’s only butting in because she cares. Her heart’s in the right place. She might not be the world’s best mum but you can bet she’d be in the running for the most loving.’

‘That’s true.’ Bianca tucked away a flyaway hair. ‘Even Heath Braxton turns into a gooey sugar ball when he’s around his mum.’

‘Brax too.’ Charlie laughed. ‘I should probably get back to him, actually. He’s probably wondering what’s taking me so long.’

‘Why don’t I come over tomorrow or something, we can catch up properly?’

‘Tomorrow doesn’t really work for me.’ Charlie apologized. ‘Brax and I are going out of town with the girls to the lakeside, before Ruby starts her internship. We just decided a little while ago ,actually, on the beach.’

‘You two really are getting into the family spirit.’ Bianca couldn’t help but smile over her friend’s new life. If someone had told her a year ago that Charlie Buckton would be in a committed relationship with kids, she would have laughed in their face. ‘Well, as long as you’re back before the birth, I guess you can go.’

Charlie rolled her eyes. ‘It’s only for a couple of days. I’ll call you when we get there. Now I should get to lunch. Bye honey.’

‘Bye.’ Bianca smiled as Charlie walked off and sat back down on the bench exhausted.

-----------------------------------------------------

‘Here we are, home sweet home.’ April pulled up into the driveway with Bianca and Liam in the car. They had just picked up Liam from hospital.

‘Home sweet home.’ Liam sighed as he looked out the window at the large beach house. Being bedridden for so long had weakened his spirits and he was beginning to feel helpless. ‘Let’s go in.’

‘Wait, I’ll get that.’ Bianca, who was now off crutches, got out of the car and opened the door for her boyfriend as he struggled out. He winced in pain and tried to get out by himself despite advice from his doctors to stay in a wheelchair.

‘No, I don’t want that.’ Liam shook off the helping hands and refused to get into the wheelchair April held. He ended up stumbling out of the car and nearly falling.

Bianca grabbed his arm for support but he just shook it off. ‘Maybe you should…’

‘I’m not a child, Bianca. I can walk.’ And he did. It was a tough walk, but he managed to stumble, lean and limp along to the back door, wincing in pain every time his oversized t-shirt touched his skin.

Bianca and April reluctantly followed and managed to catch the ailing man just as he nearly fell headfirst onto the kitchen tiles out of exhaustion. He cried in pain as the girl’s hands touched his unhealed scars. This time though, he accepted the help and got into the wheelchair. The girl’s wheeled him to the couch and tucked him in.

‘Do you need anything?’ April hovered over him and asked concernedly.

‘No, I’m fine.’ Liam grumbled and then realising he was being rude, smiled at the young girl. ‘Thanks April.’

‘Well, I’m just going to go study the textbooks before I start uni next month. I want to be prepared.’

When April went to her room, Bianca clucked her tongue and sat on the coffee table facing her boyfriend. ‘That girl works herself way too hard sometimes, I swear. You sure there’s nothing you need?’

‘Really Bianca, I said I’m fine. What more do you need?’ He snapped and regretted it. ‘Sorry.’

‘Don’t be. I know this is hard for you.’ She pecked him on the lips before getting up. ‘I’m going to take a shower, okay? Shout out if you need anything.’

When Bianca had left, Liam felt his stomach growl. Sighing, he contemplated calling April but decided against it. Two weeks of being helpless in a hospital bed was enough. Now that he was home, he wanted to indulge in every bit of independence he could get.

Struggling to stand up, the burnt man nearly fell onto the couch on the first attempt but managed to stay upright. Taking a deep breath, he took his first step and begged his legs to support him. Then Liam took another step, and another and another. He grinned at the success as if they were his first steps ever and began quickening his strides.

‘Ah!’ The increased speed and confidence unwound his balance and Liam fell onto the dining table unceremoniously, overturning a couple of chairs as he did so. Thankfully, the corners had been masterfully baby proofed by Bianca and rechecked by Cheryl so it didn’t jab the musician’s eye out. It did however, hurt like hell.

Bianca rushed out of the bathroom in a robe, still wet from the shower. ‘Liam, are you okay?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ Liam struggled to get up and Bianca tried to lean down to help him. With a nine month belly, this was a major feat and she couldn’t bend down to his level no matter how hard she tried. In the end, Liam managed to lever himself off the table, shaking off her hands.

April walked out of her room to see what the commotion was about. ‘What’s going on, is everything okay?’

‘Yeah.’ Liam sounded like he was trying to convince himself. He hated that his body was failing him and he knew it was wrong to take it out on the girls but he had to vent out his frustrations somehow.

Bianca was silent as she got an icepack for Liam’s eye while April guided him back to the couch. She felt so helpless not being able to help the man she loved and just wished that things would get easier but knew it would only get more complicated. If caring for a burns victim was hard when she was nine months pregnant, it would be even harder with a new born as well.

FORTY FOUR

‘Charlie, I’m desperate. He’s being such a downer, he even lowers Marilyn’s spirit when she comes to visit and she’s like the happiest person in Summer Bay.’ Bianca whined over the phone as she lay sprawled over her couch.

‘You can’t blame him, the poor guy’s been through a lot lately. It can’t be easy.’ Charlie stood in the kitchen of the scenic country cabin as Brax nuzzled her neck and put his arms around her from behind. She smiled and shooed him away.

‘I just knew how to help him through this. I feel so helpless.’

‘You have to remember, Liam feels a million times more helpless than you do.’ Charlie sympathised and leant against the kitchen counter as her boyfriend banged all the drawer doors looking for food.

‘I know.’ Bianca stroked her belly. ‘There has to be something I can do though.’

‘Well, maybe you could cheer him up. Do something nice.’

‘But what?’ Bianca frowned as April moved her legs aside and sat on the couch before turning the TV on at full volume. She glared annoyingly at her sister to turn the volume down.

‘Well, whatever makes Liam Murphy happy.’ Charlie put the question out there as she held her mobile phone in her hand.

Brax put his arms around his girlfriend and moved in close cheekily until their faces were inches apart. He whispered into her free ear. ‘I know what would make Darryl Braxton happy.’

Charlie giggled and Bianca on hearing this, rolled her eyes and warned her mockingly. ‘Sargent Buckton, I’m having a little crisis moment here. I hope you’re paying attention.’

‘I’m listening.’ Charlie continued to giggle as Brax smiled down at her. ‘What else would I be doing?’

‘I have a few ideas.’ Brax whispered again but Bianca heard him clearly this time and smiled knowingly.

‘Why don’t you ask Brax?’ Bianca teased. ‘Don’t worry, I forgive you. You’re on holiday. And it’s Brax, so I guess I could excuse you from best friend duties for a little while.’

‘Hey, he’s all mine.’ Charlie pushed Brax away half-heartedly but he was unrelenting. ‘You sure?’

‘As long as you come back to me. Bye Charlie.’ Bianca shook her head and laughed.

Charlie opened her mouth to say goodbye but instead, she found herself squealing as Brax took the phone out of her hand before pulling her in close by the waist and kissing her deeply.

Back in Summer Bay, Bianca sighed and smiled to herself as she hung up the phone. Shaking her head, she put her phone on the coffee table only to find April looking in her direction as the young girl sat at her feet. Bianca wrinkled her eyebrows jokingly. ‘What?’

April smiled at her sister sweetly. She had been eavesdropping on Bianca’s phone conversation and it had sparked something in her mind. ‘If you’re looking to cheer up Liam, I think I might have an idea.’

Bianca sat up and grinned as April conveyed her idea to her. She reached for her phone and excitedly called the country cabin again. As much as she hated to interrupt Brax and Charlie’s ‘holiday’, she was going to need all the recruits she could get.

--------------------------------------------------------

‘I just had a great idea.’ It was two days after the epiphany when Bianca put her hands on her hips matter-of-factly as she looked down on Liam who was moping on the couch.

‘Not another one.’ Liam groaned, the woman seemed to be full of ideas lately.

‘Yes, another one.’ Bianca waved the insult away and grabbed him by the hand and made him sit up reluctantly. Then she went behind the couch and picked up the object leaning against it. ‘It’s a cane.’

‘And?’

Bianca’s eager smile turned to annoyance. ‘And what? My legs are more or less healed, I don’t need it anymore. Now I’m giving it to you.’

As his girlfriend held out the cane with both hands gleefully, Liam smiled as realisation dawned on him. ‘So I don’t have to use the wheelchair.’

‘Yeah.’ Bianca gave it to him and helped him up. ‘Come on, let’s try it. We’re going for a little walk.’

The couple walked slowly through the beach in the direction of the surf club. It was a perfect summer day; the coastal wind was refreshing in the hot sun. With their handicaps, it took a while but eventually they reached surf club and walked upstairs to Angelo’s.

‘What the hell?’ Liam nearly lost his balance on the cane when his surprise came into view. The smile on his face was undeniable. It was like the whole town had rallied in support. All his friends were there waiting. Readjusting his cane, he walked closer towards his party with Bianca in tow.

‘I thought you could use a break from sitting around. Do you like it?’ Bianca asked nervously as she walked behind him.

‘Of course I like it. You did all this for me?.’ Liam grinned. It wasn’t until he saw the real surprise however, that his grin really widened. He stopped in his tracks and looked back at Bianca who nodded gleefully and urged him on. ‘Scratch that, I love it.’

The crowd had parted to reveal the one thing that made the musician’s heart happier than Bianca did. As Liam looked in wonder, Charlie smiled at Liam and swayed as she stood in Brax’ arms, John winked cheekily and Colleen looked like a proud grandmother. The love in the room was endless.

‘Thank you.’ Liam smiled and whispered in Bianca’s ear. This was just what he needed to lift his spirits. There was a stage set up with a stool and guitar. Music had been his life and listening to live music with his friends was the ultimate gift.

‘Thank April. It was all her.’ Bianca held his hand.

April leaned in from behind. ‘Don’t be silly. Bianca did the leg work. She got the restaurant from Brax for the afternoon and everything. I just gave her the idea. And anyway, you haven’t seen the real surprise yet.’

‘There’s more?’ Liam looked stunned.

The crowd got quiet and for the first time, Liam noticed that the guys playing music was his old band from his rock star days. He hadn’t seen them since he’d lost his record contract. And now there they were.

Casey opened the kitchen door as the young girl addressed the crowd. Smiling, he encouraged the little blonde boy from his hiding place. Ruby grinned widely and winked at Liam as she took the stage and spoke loudly. ‘Why don’t we give a cheer for the real man of the evening?’

As the crowd cheered, Liam noticed for the first time, a little boy hiding behind Brax. ‘Ash!’

Bianca smiled as he limped up towards the son he hadn’t seen in months. ‘He’s yours for the whole weekend.’

‘Yeah!’ Ash yelled as he saw his father and rushed into his open arms. If anything could cheer Liam up, it was his son. ‘Are you going to sing daddy?’

‘Yeah, come on Liam!’ Miles shouted out and everyone cheered on.

‘Only if you do.’ Liam smiled but Ash grinned shyly and hid his face with his hands in refusal. ‘Well, why don’t you sit with me instead?’

He grinned and sat on the bar stool with Ash in his lap. Looking out, Liam saw the faces of everyone he loved in Summer Bay and just knew everything would be okay. After all, he was home.

Thanks for the comments. We're nearing the end of the road with this fic. to halt future confusion, Chax=not married... For now :wink:

FORTY FIVE

‘Hey, thanks for picking up Ash from the city on your way home from the cabin the other day.’ Bianca thanked her friend. ‘It meant a lot to Liam.’

‘Anytime.’ Charlie replied. ‘Is he still in the bay?’

‘Yeah, Chelsea’s coming to pick him up tomorrow night. Can’t wait for that.’

‘Comes with the territory.’ Charlie pushed the stroller in front of her as they walked through the park. ‘Not that I have to tell you.’

‘Yeah, I’m all too familiar with the whole babies with exes’ scenario.’ Bianca held her belly as proof of that. ‘I still can’t believe this is happening.’

‘How long now? You’re due any day aren’t you?’

‘Four more days. Eighth of February 2012.’ Bianca gleamed as she sat on the bench; that was going to be her baby’s birthday.

‘It’s so close.’

Charlie sat next to her and lifted Aria out of her pram to feed her. ‘I’m happy for you, you know that.’

‘I do.’ Bianca smiled. ‘I hope you had a good holiday with Brax. I know I kind of pulled you out early but still…’

‘Bee, don’t. It was perfect, really. Not even you could’ve ruined it.’

‘Good. Because you deserve to be happy.’

‘So do you, Bianca.’ Charlie smiled back and put the bottle to Aria’s lips. ‘So do you.’

-----------------------------------------------

Liam put the pillow over his head as his girlfriend tossed and turned next to him in bed. It was bad enough that the king-sized maternity pillow took up three quarters of the bed but on top of that she had to toss and turn like a mad woman too. ‘Would you stay still?’

‘I’m trying. I can’t.’ Bianca glared and tried to fluff up her maternity pillow. It had been helpful when she’d been smaller but now even the pillow was starting to lose it’s magic. She just couldn’t get comfortable no matter how hard she tried. She turned around yet again out of discomfort.

‘Try harder.’ Liam grumpily looked at the clock. It was three am, and neither had any sleep all night.

Bianca grumbled as moved her pillow with her leg and consequently pushed Liam even further off the bed. ‘Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who has to sleep with a soccer ball on her belly. You don’t know what it feels like having this huge thing sticking out of you.’

‘I know what it feels like to sleep with one who does. Or rather not sleep.’ Liam rolled his eyes. ‘I hate it to break it to you babe, but it ain’t one bit pretty.’

Bianca scoffed and turned around. ‘No one asked your opinion.’

Liam had had enough and sat up, pushing the maternity pillow. ‘Is this thing really necessary?’

‘It helps me sleep.’

‘Babe, do you really think it’s working? It’s three am and you’re still awake.’

Bianca turned back to look up at him and yawned exhaustedly. ‘You think I don’t know that? I haven’t slept comfortably in weeks.’

‘Maybe this is the problem.’ Liam grabbed the maternity pillow and threw it onto the floor dramatically.

‘Hey! What was that for?’

‘You need something to hug, use me.’ Liam smiled and lay beside her. ‘We’ve been on rocky terms for months, I think it’s about time we change that.’

Bianca couldn’t help but smile at his words. ‘You can barely have anyone touch your back and you want me to hug you?’

‘No, I can do that.’ Liam stroked her face and turned her around to pull her close from behind. ‘Get some rest.’

And for the first time in weeks, she did. It seemed it wasn’t the baby that made her uncomfortable but the lack of a certain somebody to mould herself into as she slept soundly.

FORTY SIX

‘Hey, I just ran into Colleen at the diner and she says you’re resigning from the force?’ Bianca walked up to the Angelo’s bar where Charlie was sitting while Brax worked the night shift.

‘Word sure gets around quickly doesn’t it.’ Charlie looked up from her martini. ‘Yes, I gave in my two weeks’ notice to the inspector this morning.

Bianca sat next to her and put her bag on the bar in concern. ‘But why? I thought you loved your job.’

‘At the end of the day, being a police officer just wasn’t working out for me. A lot has changed in the last three years I’ve been in the bay; it doesn’t feel right.’ Charlie looked at Brax who smiled back while fixing Bianca a drink.

‘Oh thanks.’ Bianca smiled at Brax as he put a glass of ice cold lemonade in front of her and sipped the straw. ‘Wow, this is a big change for you guys, huh. What are you going to do now?’

‘We’ve been thinking about this for a few weeks now and you know Dennis, the property developer?’ Bianca nodded. ‘Yeah, he pretty much guaranteed me the head of security position at the new resort. When it’s been built and approved, of course.’

‘Yeah, and she’s going to be great at it too.’ Brax grinned and started sorting through receipts.

‘I bet.’ Bianca raised her eyebrows and toasted Charlie’s glass. She put her other hand on her belly as she felt something moving.

‘Everything okay?’ Charlie glanced at her friend worriedly. ‘You’re not having the baby are you?’

‘No, I wish.’ Bianca reassured. ‘He’s just kicking me like crazy. He’s not scheduled to come out til tomorrow.’

‘That’s right. Are you ready? Excited?’

‘Impatient. And yes, I’m ready. The nursery’s equipped, the car seat is in the car, hospital bag packed for me, Sid’s number on speed dial in case of emergency, those cute little one piece suits that say ‘mummy’s boy’ on them, and most importantly…’

‘I get it, Bee, you’re prepared.’ Charlie laughed.

Bianca mock-glared at her friend at the interruption and squeezed her hand. ‘I was going to say, most importantly, I have you to hold my hand when I need it. And I will need it.’

‘I knew there was a reason you still kept me around.’ Charlie shook her head jokingly.

‘You remember the birthing plan, right? If you don’t you better because I’m going to need you on the day. Liam can’t drive with his back and I can’t drive mid-contractions and that…’

‘That I’d like to see.’ Brax joked and Bianca glared at him.

‘Bianca, relax, everything’s going to be fine. You call, I’ll come running, where ever I am. You know I will.’

And Bianca did know, she could always count on her best friend, rain, hail or shine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

‘That’s okay, Charlie. I get it, you’re busy. I’ll be fine on my own. Bye.’ Bianca pouted as she hung up her phone and paced impatiently. She was as prepared for the baby as she could possibly be and with nothing else to do but wait, and wait, wait, boredom was kicking in at full speed.

‘Get out.’ Bianca pleaded with her belly as she waddled back and forth across the living room impatiently. ‘Please, baby, please get out. Do it for mummy.’

Still not a budge. It had been three days since her conversation with Charlie at Angelo’s; two days past her due date, and she still hadn’t heard the healthy lungs of her baby boy cry out as he joined the world.

‘Please, baby. Be a good boy for mummy and come out.’ Bianca sighed as she slumped onto the couch. Suddenly, she felt a kick on her belly and sat up excitedly. ‘Yes, that’s it, you can do it. Come on, handsome.’

And then the kicking stopped and the impatient mother-to-be slumped back down again. She looked around the house, she was all alone. Alone and bored to death. Looking at wall clock, she watched as the time passed from one hour to two hours to three. Glancing at her phone, she realised she couldn’t handle it any longer and decided to test her friend.

‘Bianca? Bianca?’ Ten minutes later, Charlie came running into the beach house in her white silk nightdress covered with one of Brax’ open checked shirts and sheepskin boots. ‘Oh my god, are you okay?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ Bianca smiled when she came running through the door and frowned confusedly when she saw what she was wearing. ‘Did you dress in the dark?’

‘I told you, I’d come whatever I was doing. And I’m here.’ Charlie looked agitated. ‘So where’s your baby bag, let’s go. We need to get going.’

‘Charlie, I’m not in labour.’

Charlie stopped moving and looked at her friend in confusion. ‘What? But you said on the phone…’

‘I just wanted to test you to see if you really were ready to come to my aide and you are.’ Bianca shrugged. ‘You passed with flying colours. Although I’m going to have to take off some marks for that wardrobe. What were you thinking?’

Charlie raised her eyebrows. ‘I was thinking that my friend was going into labour and needed to go to the hospital and have her baby. The great friend I am, I didn’t bother to change. Bianca, just for you, I didn’t even brush my hair.’

Bianca looked at the dishevelled bird’s nest on top of her friend’s head. ‘I can see that. You were still in bed at three in the afternoon? When I called a few hours ago you said you were busy?’

‘We were busy.’

‘What do you mean we?’

‘Well, we as in, me and Brax. We were…’ Charlie trailed off sheepishly and changed the subject somewhat childishly and whined. ‘Well, that doesn’t matter. I’m mad at you.’

‘I’m sorry Charles, I just needed some company. I was going crazy on my own.’ Bianca apologized.

‘Still…’ Charlie pouted and put her hands on her hips. ‘That was a dirty dirty trick Bianca Scott. Haven’t you ever heard of the girl who cried wolf?’

‘I thought that was the boy who cried wolf.’

‘So not the point.’

Bianca smiled suggestively and held up the DVD on the coffee table. ‘I have ‘Dirty Dancing’? It’s the karaoke edition.’

Charlie grinned immediately, she could never stay mad at her best friend for long, even if it was a childish mock-fight. ‘I guess I’m not mad enough to turn down Dirty Dancing.’

‘No one is.’ Bianca sat and turned on the TV. Charlie sat next to her and put her feet up, ready to spend the rest of the night gawking at Patrick Swayze.

FORTY SEVEN

‘Now I’ve had the time of my life.’ Charlie held the hair brush to her face and belted it out as she sat cross legged on the couch, swaying side to side. She had slept over the previous night and banished Liam to the couch for the remainder of the pregnancy. ‘No, I never felt this way before.’

‘Yes I swear, it’s the truth. And I owe it all to you.’ Bianca pointed her finger at Charlie dramatically at the last word and sang out loud into the remote control while dancing on her feet. This was the fourth time they’d sung along to ‘Dirty Dancing’ in the last eighteen hours and they were having a blast.

Charlie jumped up and started dancing to the music unaware of April walking by and staring at the two women like they were crazy. When she noticed the girl’s stare, she straightened up and sat back down laughing. April rolled her eyes. ‘You guys don’t want to watch something else? You’ve been at it for hours.’

‘Nope! We’re good.’ Charlie slumped onto the couch next to her friend. ‘Exercise is supposed to induce labour.’

‘So we’re dancing along to the movie. The only thing better than this would be having my water break.’ Bianca laughed and leaned against the back of the couch. ‘I just really wish he would hurry up already. ’

‘Maybe he’s too scared of your singing to come out.’ April shook her head as she walked towards her room. ‘I know I am.’

‘That was low!’ Bianca turned and called out as her sister closed the bedroom behind her. She turned to Charlie. ‘Okay, this dancing thing clearly isn’t working and we’re driving my sister crazy. Let’s try something else.’

Charlie smiled and took the open laptop to her lap which was open to a pregnancy forum. With Bianca looking over her shoulder she leaned in and scrolled down the page. ‘Okay, we’ve tried the hot curry and the exercise. Cleaning the house is supposed to help, but we don’t want to do that because that is just plain boring. Oh look! We could eat pineapples for breakfast!’

‘I’ll go cut some up.’ Bianca turned down the volume on the TV and went into the kitchen.

A half hour later, the girls had stuffed their mouths after the third pineapple. ‘I can’t eat anymore.’

Bianca agreed with her groaning friend as they lay back on the couch exhausted and full. ‘What’s next on the list?’

Charlie got her laptop and looked at the screen. ‘Well, if you really want this baby out of you, more than one suggested sex as an inducer.’

The girls looked at each other awkwardly and Charlie broke the silence, smiling in understanding as she made her excuses. ‘You know what, I haven’t seen Brax and Aria since yesterday afternoon. I should go home and say hi before they miss me too much.’

‘Good idea.’ Bianca agreed a little too quickly and the women stood up from the couch and hugged good bye. ‘Come back for lunch?’

‘Sure, bye’ Charlie grabbed her keys and walked out the house in her mismatched outfit from the previous day into the dark and cloudy streets.

Sighing and patting her belly encouragingly, Bianca smiled and starting heading up the stairs where Liam was trying to rest in their room after getting next to no sleep on the couch the previous night. She yelled upstairs as she walked. ‘Hey Liam, wake up! I need your help with something!’

-------------------------------------------------------

Six hours later, Liam propped himself up on his elbows on the bed and stared at his girlfriend with a dopey grin on his face. They were both absolutely puffed out. Normally he wasn’t a morning person but with the wakeup call he’d just gotten, he really couldn’t complain. His words were placed between heavy exhausted breathing. ‘I can’t believe we haven’t done that in months. That was amazing.’

‘I can’t believe it didn’t work.’ Bianca smiled up and covered her body with the blanket, still pregnant and not in labour.

‘What do you mean it didn’t work?’ Liam looked down at her in confusion and grinned.

Bianca sighed. ‘Oh, I read somewhere that sex is supposed to help move things along. You know with the baby. We’ve done it like four times already and it still hasn’t worked.’

‘All morning I’ve been thinking I’m the luckiest guy in the world and now I find out you’ve just been using me for my body this whole time.’ Liam pretended to be shocked and smirked. ‘Now I feel used.’

‘It’s not like that.’ Bianca punched him playfully on the arm and turned off her back to face him fully. ‘I’m just restless I guess.’

Liam stroked her face. ‘Don’t worry babe, he’ll come out when he’s ready. Just give it time.’

‘I’ve given it plenty of time. I’m three days overdue.’

‘Then give it some more time.’ Liam leaned in and kissed his girlfriend’s pouting lips and managed to mould a smile out of them. ‘But if you’re really that desperate, we could always try again.’

Bianca grinned dopily and whispered, her face millimetres away from his. ‘You know what? I think that’s the best idea you’ve ever had.’

‘Really? The best?’ Liam beamed dreamily and pressed his lips to hers.

‘The very best.’ Bianca whispered in between kisses.

They intertwined their bodies and kissed with hands roaming everywhere. The couple had nine months to catch up on and they had made a great start so far. This continued for a while until Bianca suddenly moved apart with an excited look on her face.

‘What?’ Liam wanted to keep going and didn’t want her to stop.

‘I think my water just broke.’ Bianca was mesmerised in awe.

‘Wow, I really am good.’ Liam smirked cockily and sat up to get dressed. After nine months and four days of desperate waiting, it was time. The baby was well and truly on its way.

FORTY EIGHT

Bianca panted with a strained look on her face while squeezing the life out Charlie’s hand. The contractions hadn’t started until five hours after her water broke and she’d been turned away from the hospital twice already because she wasn’t far along enough to be admitted. Now after forty eight hours of labour with ten minute intervals between contractions, she was still only four centimetres dilated. The baby sure knew how to take his sweet time.

‘I don’t want to do this anymore. Please Charlie, do it for me.’ Bianca moaned in pain.

‘I’d say I wish I could but I really don’t.’ Charlie apologised and winced as she felt the blood get squeezed out of her hand. ‘It won’t be too long. Sid said you can be induced if you haven’t progressed anymore by tonight. Just hang in there.’

Bianca groaned and stood up and paced around the room. She was sweaty, her hair a mess, and her face red and blotchy; labour had not done the woman any favours. Panting, she wished it would all be over already as she walked over to sheepish Heath standing by the dinner table at the beach house and grabbed him angrily by the collar. ‘You! This is your fault. How could you do this me? Do you have any idea what you’ve done?’

‘I’m sorry?’ Heath smiled apologetically and Bianca let go, already uninterested. It wasn’t that she was mad at him; she was just over being pregnant and grumpy at everyone who dared cross her path.

Heath and Liam looked at each other frightened and Liam gestured to the kitchen, eager to escape Bianca’s wrath. ‘You want a beer?’

Heath nodded a little too enthusiastically and the boys went to hide in the kitchen. Outside the air was crisp and windy as the thunder roared.

‘This is just great. It’s going to rain soon. Just when I thought my day couldn’t get any worse.’ Bianca complained. ‘Oh! Argh!’

Charlie went to her side as the contractions started again and this time made sure to save her hand from being abused by her friend’s stealthy grip. ‘Remember the breathing, just breath through it Bee.’

‘This carrrn’t bbee happpenninng tooo me-meeeeeeeeeee!’ Bianca squealed through her contraction and somehow managed to accidently elbow Charlie in the face in the process.

Charlie fell back flat on her butt and rubbed her nose as she groaned at the pain. ‘Ouch, you have no idea how much that hurts.’

Bianca looked back at her threateningly and Charlie took back her insensitive words. Of course she knew. ‘Forget I said anything.’

A phone rang somewhere and Charlie held her nose as she pushed back to find her phone among the mess in the lounge room. With a sigh, she read the text from Brax.

‘What?’ Bianca’s look was both desperate and murderous. There was no way Charlie was leaving her alone. ‘Charlie?’

Charlie looked up from her phone apologetically as she still rubbed her nose which was by now red. ‘I’m sorry. There’s no breast milk at home. I have to go home and express some for Aria. She needs me.’

‘But I need you.’ Bianca’s voice sounded like she was about to cry. ‘You can’t leave me with those two.’

‘I know. I’m sorry.’ Charlie hugged her friend as the thunder grew closer. ‘Why don’t you get Heath to drive you to the hospital. I’ll just tend to Aria and meet you there as soon as I can, okay? I promise.’

Bianca reluctantly nodded but held her hand like a little child who didn’t want her parent to leave her alone. It took Charlie three tugs to make her leg go of her hand.

Charlie walked towards the back door where Heath and Liam stood drinking. Heath took one look at her sore red nose and laughed out loud. ‘Going somewhere Rudolph?’

‘Yeah, home.’ Charlie glared at the unfunny joke. ‘So you can take Bianca to the hospital.’

The boys’ smile disappeared as they realised they were being left alone with a pregnant woman in labour. ‘You can’t go. We need you.’

Charlie smiled at Heath’s desperation. It wasn’t often when she heard a comment like that from her boyfriend’s brother. ‘As much as it amuses me that you need me Heath, you’ll have to do without me for an hour or two.’

With a smile, she huddled herself against the gusty winds as she headed to her car.

----------------------------------------------------

The wind howled outside and the clouds were a blackening grey in the sky. A lightning flashed and the thunder roared as the rain poured in one big whoosh. It was the biggest thunderstorm they’d had in years.

Heath huddled into the wind jacket as he entered the house and dried off. ‘It’s no use. The road outside is flooded. We won’t be able to drive anywhere.’

‘But we need to go to the hospital!’ Bianca started panicking and pacing. The contractions had gotten worse in the three hours Charlie had been gone and she was sure it wouldn’t be long now. But then again, she had thought the same thing two days ago.

‘Not in this weather, babe.’ Liam sighed as he sat on the couch. The burns on his back were hurting like hell given the added stress. ‘Why don’t I call Sid and see what he has to say?’

Bianca watched as her boyfriend took his phone out and frowned. ‘What? Liam, why are you looking like that?’

‘No reception.’ Heath answered for him as he took out his own phone and checked it. ‘The lines must’ve been affected by the storm.’

‘This is just great. I’m in labour with two MEN around me.’ Bianca groaned and sat on the arm chair just before another contraction started. ‘Ah!’

‘Hold on, Bianca.’ Heath rubbed her back as Liam couldn’t do it because of his injuries. ‘Breath.’

‘I am breathing! I am an excellent breather! I’ve been doing it for the last god knows how many hours and nothing’s happening. I’m so sick of freaking breathing already.’ Bianca vented her frustrations and eventually the contraction subsided. ‘That’s it. The roads are going to be flooded for a while so that just leaves you to do it.’

‘Do what?’ Liam wrinkled his forehead.

‘Deliver the baby!’

Heath and Liam looked at each other in fear and shook their heads vigorously, speaking at the same time. ‘No!’

‘What do you mean no? You don’t have a choice. Irene and April are at Leah’s and Charlie’s probably stuck at home in the storm. There’s no one else.’

Liam stared up at Heath and sighed as he gestured to Bianca. ‘Heath, this is the one and only time you will ever get permission to look at my girlfriend’s lady parts.’

Heath looked like he’d been slapped in the face. ‘WH-What? Why can’t you do it?’

‘It’ll be too much on my back. I can barely walk without my burns hurting. It’s up to you mate.’ Liam shrugged, relieved he didn’t have to deliver a baby. As much as he loved Bianca, he just wasn’t prepared for that kind of familiarity.

Bianca glared at Heath daring him to say no as she pointed at the floor in front of her legs. ‘Oi, stop looking like a sick puppy and head on down there Soldier. Brave the battlefront.’

The look on Heath’s face was priceless. It was something between a lost puppy and a deer caught in the headlights; the poor man was almost close to tears at the command. With a fearful gulp and wide eyes, Heath Braxton felt the walls close in on him and droplets of sweat glistened on his forehead. It was going to be a stormy night indeed.

Hey guys, last update. I have had such a great time writing this and all your comments have been great. Thanks :D

FORTY NINE

‘Wow, I didn’t think my brother had it in him.’ Brax stood in the hospital room with Charlie as the new mother reiterated the previous night’s events. The storm had subsided some time ago and the dawn air was clear and humid. ‘Heath actually delivered a baby?’

‘Yup, he nearly fainted in the process but he was very brave.’ Bianca smiled.

Charlie looked at the tiny person in admiration. ‘He’s really gorgeous Bianca.’

‘I know. My gorgeous little valentine,’ Bianca held her son in her arms and looked at him adoringly. Her baby, born one minute into Valentine’s Day really was gorgeous with his honey curls and black eyes.

‘Do you have a name?’ Charlie asked.

Bianca couldn’t take her eyes off the baby for one second. ‘This is Valen Scott, like Valentine, after his birthday.’

‘That’s beautiful. Very fitting,’ Charlie asked in concern. The woman had just spent sixty hours in labour and had a home birth. It must have been gruelling on her. ‘How’re you feeling? Is everything okay with you two? I heard you got stuck at home.’

‘Healthy as a horse, Sid said.’ Bianca grinned. ‘Heath was great delivering him, there were no complications except for the crazy long wait. We came straight here to get checked out once the storm eased up through the beach into the non-flooded streets and called Irene to drive us.’

‘At least it all worked out in the end, eh.’ Brax shrugged.

Bianca beamed as Valen opened his beady eyes and stared up at her. ‘Listen, Heath and I want you guys to be his god-parents. You’re his aunt and uncle. It should be you.’

‘Oh Bee, I’d love to. You know I would.’ Charlie had tears in her eyes.

‘So would I, Bianca.’ Brax smiled as he stood with his arms around his girlfriend’s waist.

‘I couldn’t have done this without you, Charles.’

‘Somehow, I think you’d have managed just fine without me.’ Charlie stroked the baby’s arm. ‘You had the baby on your own, didn’t you? I’m sorry I couldn’t be there.’

‘I did fine. Still, you’re my best friend Charlie. There’s nothing I’d want to do without you.’ Bianca just couldn’t stop smiling, no matter how hard she tried. She was finally a mother.

The two women looked at each other happily, having a moment, and Brax stood twiddling his thumbs, careful not to interrupt the female bonding.

Charlie squeezed her hand. ‘You know what Bee; I think I feel the same way.’

----------------------------------------------------------------

Heath sat in the rocking chair in Bianca’s hospital room with Valen in his arms. Holding his son still felt surreal and he couldn’t believe that the tiny little blonde boy was really his. It just seemed too good to be true.

The proud father gazed admiringly at the creature he’d helped create and kissed his forehead. For the first time, he tested the fantastical words. ‘Hi Valen, Daddy’s here. I love you.’

He looked up to find Bianca awake from her nap and smiling at him from the bed. ‘Can you believe it? We made him.’

‘We did, didn’t we?’ Heath looked adoringly at his son. ‘He’s all ours, every little inch of him.’

‘Did you get find that thing I asked you to bring with the baby stuff?’

‘Yeah, it’s in the top drawer’ Heath whispered sheepishly, a little uncomfortable but also happy for Bianca. ‘It took a while to find though. Murphy hid it pretty well. Congratulations.’

He silenced as the door opened and Liam quietly entered the room so as not to disturb the baby. ‘Hey, I’m back. How’re you doing?’

‘I’m good.’ Bianca strained her neck up to meet his eyes as he stroked her hair. ‘Where’d you go?’

Instead of answering, Liam looked at Heath and spoke to him. ‘Heath, could you give us a second?’

‘Yes sir.’ Heath saluted jokingly with his free hand and winked knowingly at the couple after standing up with his son. He spoke to the baby boy softly. ‘Come on son, let’s go for a little walk around the ward.’

When Heath and Valen had left, Bianca glanced up at her boyfriend who had sat on the bed and put his arm around her from behind. ‘What’s all this about?’

Liam kissed her forehead and held her close. ‘I love you.’

‘Yeah, I love you too.’ Bianca whispered back.

‘I got you a present.’ Liam whispered into her hair and she closed her eyes.

‘You did?’

‘Yeah,’ I was going to give it today at a picnic on the beach.’ Liam stroked her arm caringly. ‘Plans changed.’

‘They sure did.’ Bianca leaned into his chest.

‘It’s nothing like getting a son but…’ While his girlfriend had her eyes closed peacefully, Liam took something out of his pocket and opened the lid with his thumb. ‘Happy Valentine’s day babe,’

‘It’s beautiful.’ Bianca opened her eyes and smiled dreamily when she saw the gorgeous diamond pendant. She looked up at him, their faces millimetres apart. ‘I got you something for Valentine’s Day too.’

‘Yeah, what is it?’ He whispered and smiled as she held the jewellery box in his hand.

‘It’s an answer. To a question you asked me a while ago.’ Liam looked confused.

‘Open the top drawer.’ Bianca smiled and Liam got up and did as she said. He looked up at Bianca in shock when he saw the lone object in it.

‘Bianca?’

‘Yes.’ Bianca beamed lovingly. She’d waited her whole life to be ready for this moment. ‘Liam, if you’ll still have me, the answer’s yes.’

Liam smiled in amazement as he picked up the jewellery box and opened the lid to reveal the engagement ring he had proposed with on New Year’s Eve. The question had remained unanswered and he hadn’t dreamed he would receive an answer so soon.

Still speechless, Liam sat on the bed and looked into Bianca’s eyes. ‘Really, babe? You’ll marry me?’

‘Yes,’ Bianca smiled expectantly and her new fiancé passionately kissed her. When he moved back, she whispered again, still with her eyes closed. ‘Oh, yes.’

Liam took the ring and placed it gently on her finger. Mesmerised, they stared at the glistening object with glistening eyes until Charlie interrupted by entering the room.

Bianca looked up at her best friend with a grin on her face. ‘We’re engaged!’

Charlie just stood with her mouth open, speechless. After a while, she found her voice. ‘You… You’re engaged?’

‘Yeah, we’re engaged.’ Liam stood and searched for a reaction but got nothing.

‘We’re really engaged!’ Bianca looked at her expectantly as Charlie tried to conjure some words.

‘I’m engaged!’ Charlie finally spit out with a smile.

‘You’re engaged?’ Bianca looked confused and happy.

‘I am.’ Charlie lost her breath as she thought back to the happy moment when Brax had proposed the previous night during the storm. ‘I got engaged last night.’

‘Congratulations Charlie!’ Bianca smiled and held out her hand. This was certainly a new turn of events.

Charlie smiled back and reached forward to take her friend’s hand in hers. ‘Congratulations to you too.’

Bianca had been right. They were best friends. And best friends didn’t want to do anything without each other, whether they planned it or not. They had a baby together and they’d get married together. Both women smiled as they held hands, both equally happy that they would get to share the big moments in their lives with the person they cared most about.

They say that good things come in pairs; and Bianca and Charlie were a prime example of that. These women had a bond unbreakable even to the universe’s twists and turns. Life changes constantly but one thing would always remain the same, the one person that can be depended on no matter what. Babies grow up, fiancés become husbands but as Bianca and Charlie knew, best friends would always be just that. Best friends. And nothing was going to get in the way of that. Ever.

The end....

Comments

Archived