Pregnant Proportions

Guest mizziette

ELEVEN

‘I literally thought I’d have more time.’ Bianca put her head in her hands. ‘Thank god I was at your place last night when Heath went storming into my place; I’m not ready to face him yet. Maybe I can avoid him for a while, buy me some time.’

‘Sweetie, Colleen knows. You don’t have a choice anymore when it comes to time. It’s all or nothing. And if you want to avoid a river boy, I don’t think the beach is the best place to do it.’ Charlie gestured towards the open ocean and endless sand around where they were sitting.

They girls watched as Brax got out of the water after his surf and walked past them, discretely smiling at his pregnant girlfriend as he did. ‘Speaking of baby drama, what’s with the black eye on your lover boy?’

‘It seems Heath isn’t as impulsive and brainless as we thought. He heard us talking the other day and actually managed to hold it in until he got to Brax and Casey’s house. And I wouldn’t call him my lover boy. I don’t even know where we are.’

‘What do you mean? Are you having problems?’ Charlie nodded.

‘He can’t understand why I’m not into this whole baby idea. Even though he knows about Grant and how the River boys will react, he still can’t believe I don’t want this baby. He really wants this and I don’t know how to make him understand how scared I am.’

‘You know what; I think you both just need time to work through this. It worked for me and Liam.’

‘You’re probably right.’ Charlie slid down on the sand so she was lying on her back. ‘I don’t get why he needs another kid, so

soon. He just got Darcy dumped on him, you’d think he’d have enough on his plate raising an eleven year old.’

‘Yeah, I can’t believe her mum would just dump her little girl on someone like that and run off. It’s sick if you ask me.’

‘You really think so?’ Charlie was on the verge of tears. ‘You don’t think sometimes it might be safer to let your child go?’

‘Well, in some cases, but it’s not like Teagan had any good reason to do what she did.’ Bianca held her friend’s hand. ‘What’s wrong? Did I say something to upset you?’

Charlie wiped her eyes and sat up, only to feel her tears returning again. ‘No, it’s just I’ve been thinking lately that maybe I should give my little girl to someone better able to take care of her. I don’t think I can do it, to be honest. I don’t think I can handle being a real mother, especially under so much pressure from work, and the river boys and everything. It’s too much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘I think I knocked up the sexy school teacher.’ Heath dumped himself onto the bar stool at Angelo’s while Brax was behind the counter. He was still mad at his brother for his betrayal but he needed a drink more.

Brax didn’t say a word and just put bourbon in front of his little brother. ‘What am I supposed to do?’ Heath prodded as he gulped it down in one and gestured for more.

‘I thought you were pissed at me for Charlie.’

‘I’m freaking out more right now. I’ll get back to being pissed at you later. Tell me what to do.’

‘Do the right thing. Whatever that is for you, do it.’

‘Can you be any vaguer?’

Brax refilled Heath’s glass for the third time. ‘Yeah, I probably could. But for the sake of that nitwit brain of yours, I won’t. I’ve got my own problems to sort out; I don’t have time to take on yours too. Look, at the end of the day, it’s your kid, I can’t tell you what to do on this one. It’s up to you what you want.’

‘Big help you are.’ Heath gulped down his drink again, starting to get a little tipsy. ‘You know, it’s crazy how we both knocked up chicks isn’t it?’

Brax lifted his eyebrows in agreement and refilled the drink, this time adding one more glass for himself.

Bianca ducked into the surf club to avoid the rain and found herself in the same room as Heath Braxton. It was almost sunset and he looked drunk beyond words as he tried to play pool unsuccessfully. She contemplated running back out into the storm but changed her mind, putting the state of her poor frizzy blonde locks before her fear of Heath.

Slowly, Bianca tried to see if she could get upstairs to Angelo’s before he noticed her. Halfway up the stairs, however she realised how childish she was being. She had made the decision to sleep with him, no one else and it was only right that she took responsibility for her actions and faced her fears. Marching back down the stairs she slammed her hand on the pool table next to Heath.

‘No. don’t say a word.’ Heath opened his mouth to speak but Bianca cut him off sharply. ‘I’m the one talking, not you. I know you know about the baby and you’re free to do what you want. I won’t ever ask anything from you if that’s what you’re worried about and I won’t ever make you lift a finger where this kid’s concerned. In fact, I preferred you didn’t. Liam and I are going to parent this baby so I’m letting you go. You can go back to your little carefree existence and pretend this never happened. I mean, that’s what you want isn’t it?’

Heath still had his mouth open wide in shock when Bianca walked upstairs into Angelo’s triumphantly.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TWELVE

I heard you and Heath had a nice little chat last week.’ Charlie fiddled with her maternity top self conciously as she sat in the corner booth at Angelo’s.

Bianca smiled sneakily. ‘More like I talked and he gawked. He was pretty drunk too so I’m not sure how much sunk in but I think he got the gist of it.’

‘Good for you.’ The young woman looked around feeling self-conscious. She was beginning to show more visibly now, although she was still fairly small. She saw Brax at the counter and he sighed resignedly and turned his back.

Bianca noticed the cold gesture. ‘You two still haven’t worked it out.’

Charlie shook her head. ‘He found an adoption brochure in my room and isn’t too happy about it. He doesn’t agree with me. I just really wish this would be easier; I have the baby, give it to a nice home and no one even has to know i was ever pregnant.’

‘Too bad things never work out the way you expect them to.’ At that moment, Brax walked up to them with their order and slid it onto the table in front of the girls before leaving without a word. ‘Someone needs to learn some customer service; I don’t care how upset he is.’

Charlie sighed and changed the subject. ‘Do you want to come with me to my ultrasound appointment next week? Mr Grumps-a-lot over there has to go to court for Heath’s drug trial and can’t make it.’

‘There’s another reason I shouldn’t have Heath in my life; he’s a drug dealer.’ Bianca dug into the pizza sarcastically. ‘I’ll go but only on one condition.’

‘What’s that?’

‘You come to my ultrasound the week after that.’

Charlie smiled. ‘That sounds like a plan.’

-------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca lifted her shirt up to reveal the beginnings of a baby bump. Standing in front of the mirror, she turned to the side and stroked her belly softly and lovingly. It seemed unimaginable that there was an actual living being growing inside her who depended entirely on her for survival. Kissing her hand, she placed it on the stomach.

‘You look beautiful babe.’ Liam reached behind her and hugged Bianca, as she turned around to face him.

‘You don’t think I’m getting fat?’

‘I think you’re getting pregnant. And you, Bianca, make one sexy mum to be.’ Bianca blushed and could only respond with a passionate kiss. Their embrace deepened until they were completely enthralled in each other.

The doorbell rang and Bianca sighed. Releasing herself from Liam’s clutch, she stepped out of the bathroom and went to open the front door. ‘Here I was thinking you’d be running for the hills.’

‘Not yet. Can I talk to you?’ Heath’s sincerity made Bianca look twice to make sure it was really him. She had been expecting the usual witty sarcasm from the river boy and his sincerity threw her back. She nodded and held out the door for him to go inside.

‘Okay, I’m not very good at this stuff. I’ve never had to do this before.’ Heath sounded nervous and completely out of character.

‘Do what?’

‘It’s just that- I think I might want to maybe-‘

‘Spit it out would you? I have better things to do.’ She thought about Liam waiting for her to return in the bathroom.

‘Well, I think I might want to be involved.’

Bianca’s heart dropped. She had planned everything to the last minute detail and Heath Braxton was not in her plan. She and Liam and the baby were supposed to be one big happy family. She watched as her dreams shattered in front of her as he spoke those words.

‘You want to what?’ She finally managed to spit out.

‘Be involved. You know, with the baby and stuff.’

‘But you don’t even want this.’

Heath scorned, reverting back to his hot headedness. ‘Why, because of what people say about me? I hate it how you people always assume you know me just because of my reputation. It’s pathetic you know that?’

‘What if I say no?’

‘Pretend it’s the rock star’s kid all you want but at the end of the day, it’s my kid, my choice. I may not be the greatest dad in the world and as much as it hurts my ego to say this, Murphy would probably make a better dad but I’ll be damned if you keep it away from me.’

THIRTEEN

‘Charlie, sweetie, what’s wrong?’ Bianca discretely put her hand inside her friends as they sat in the maternity ward waiting for the bill after Charlie’s ultrasound appointment. The poor girl looked like she was about to cry.

Charlie wiped her eyes. ‘I’m fine. Really, it’s fine. Just, when I saw my little girl on the screen, it was surreal. She really is beautiful, isn’t she?’

‘Yeah, she is.’ Bianca smiled and paused, choosing her next words carefully. ‘You know, it’s okay to love this little girl inside of you.’

‘I know. I just feel like if I fall in love, it’ll just be harder to give her up.’

‘No one says you have to. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I get the sense that you’re not fully on board with this adoption plan.’

‘I am sure. I want this baby to have a better home. I do.’ Charlie sounded like she was more trying to reassure herself than Bianca. ‘I do. It’s the only way.’

‘You almost sound like you think you don’t have a choice.’

‘Well, I don’t do I? There’s no other way I can see this happening.’

Bianca sighed. ‘There’s always a choice.’

The nurse came up to the counter and the girls got up to pay the bill for the appointment. When they’d finished, they headed towards the elevator.

‘How’s it going with Heath?’ Charlie tried to change the subject.

‘I have no idea how this is even supposed to work. It’s just really uncomfortable at the moment. He’s coming to my ultrasound next week. That is if he gets cleared from the charges at court today. Given the lawyer he’s got, that’s a real possibility. It’s going to be a ball. It’ll be me, Liam, Braxton and baby. One big happy family.’ Bianca said defeated.

‘Maybe I shouldn’t go with you then.’

‘Why? I want you there. You and me against the world, remember?’

Charlie smiled as they got into the elevator. ‘I know, I know, but three’s a crowd as it is. Four’s just plain awkward. Besides, I’m probably the last person Heath wants around. I don’t want to cause a scene.’

Bianca sighed again. ‘You’re right, I guess. Heath would probably stare you to death and then some.’ She put her arm around her friend’s shoulders as they reached the ground floor. ‘Next time.’

‘For sure.’ Charlie smiled and the two friends walked out together arm in arm, as one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Heath walked into the frilly pink ward and cringed at how girly everything was. What had he gotten himself into? Strolling nervously through the hallway, he was more terrified than he had been at his court case the week before. Thankfully, he had been acquitted on all charges due to lack of evidence but that seemed like a stroll on the beach compared to what he was about to embark on.

Before opening the door to the ultrasound room, he straightened up and got rid of any signs of nerves from his face. ‘Sup, folks.’ He grinned as he entered the room to find Bianca with her belly covered in gel and Liam frowning at his entrance. Heath felt the scorn that alluded from Liam’s eyes and sighed.

He was used to it all; the frowns, the stares, the cringing, everything. He hated the image that had been created for him but couldn’t see any way out of it. Casey had all the innocence that came with being a kid and he could be anything and anyone he wanted to be without the scars of a life underground and Brax, well, he had it all. Part of the reason Heath resented his being with a cop was because he could never have that. Brax had the respectable business, and the respectable girlfriend, and it made him jealous. Sometimes, being the middle child really sucked.

‘There’s the baby.’ The doctor smiled and pointed at the screen, prompting Heath back to reality. Looking at the monitor, all he saw was black and grey patches.

‘Where’s the baby?’ He peered in closer to the screen.

Bianca couldn’t help but smile and leaned on her elbows. She pointed to the screen. ‘See, that’s it’s big head over there, obviously inherited from you, and there’s the body and look, it’s hands there in front of the face and tiny bent legs. Bianca scrunched her nose in confusion. ‘Hey, doc, what’s that?’

The doctor smiled. ‘That, my dear, means you’re going to have a son. Congratulations.’

Bianca grinned with glee and unknowingly found herself holding Heath’s hand. She was going to be a mother and couldn’t be happier. Both proud parents were completely engrossed in the monitor, cooing over their son.

Liam watched from Bianca’s other side as his adoptive son took the spotlight. Sighing, he felt unnoticed, like he wasn’t even in the room. He saw that how happy his girlfriend was and wished he was the reason for her elation but that trophy went to Heath Braxton. After all, he was the reason she was pregnant in the first place. This was going to be very long pregnancy.

FOURTEEN

‘I can’t believe I have such a cute baby.’ Bianca cooed over her ultrasound photograph as she sat on bench near the beach. ‘I mean, apart from the big head, but hopefully it’s just the quality of the sonogram. Or maybe it’s just a Braxton thing; your baby’s got a big head too, doesn’t she?’

Charlie laughed. ‘Yeah, the ill-fate of genetics, I guess. I was just thinking the other day, that our babies are cousins. I mean, that practically makes us family, right?’

‘Honey, you’d be family even if we didn’t have to push watermelon sized people out of our peanut sized holes.’ Bianca cringed. ‘Speaking of, does it hurt? The birth, I mean.’

‘I don’t know. I had a C-section to get Ruby out of me. It hurt more afterwards. I don’t think I want to go through that recovery again though. Just do it the easy way. Pop it out and get it over with.’

The girls laughed but were halted by a familiar face walking past them. ‘Ladies, not talking about me, are we?’ Heath strolled up to them with his surfboard in tow.

‘Don’t flatter yourself. I hate to break it to you, but you’re just not that special.’ Bianca smirked.

The sun hid behind the clouds and Heath was able to see the women more clearly without the light glare in his face. Looking down, he noticed Charlie’s loose frilly dress. ‘Nice look there, Buckton.’ He frowned, still not liking the idea of Brax with a cop.

Charlie looked down at her oversized dress self-consciously and tried to straighten out her dress as Heath walked off. The criticism of her pregnancy touched home. She was really starting to show; there was no way she could hide it for much longer. It wasn’t the first time Heath had made snide comments about her situation; it had been going on for weeks ever since he first found out.

Bianca saw the hurt and worries in Charlie’s eyes and instinctively put her hand on hers. ‘It’s going to be okay, Charlie.’ She soothed her friend. ‘Don’t let him get to you.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liam looked at his copy of the ultrasound and sighed. He felt distanced from the whole pregnancy process like he was useless. He remembered how the doctor had been confused about the additional man in the ultrasound room. Heath was barely around unless there was something baby related but his prominence was evident even long after he’s gone. The fact remained; Heath Braxton would always be a constant obstacle in their lives.

‘Why the long face, babe?’ Bianca wrapped her arms around behind Liam and kissed his shoulder from behind.

‘It’s nothing.’ Liam turned around and kissed her forehead gently as she looked at him unconvinced. ‘Well, it is something. I guess I’m just having a little trouble coming to terms with Heath and how he fits in to our relationship.’

‘Sure, he’s always going to be around, but there’s really nothing we can do about it. He has a right to see his child.’ Bianca guided him to the table in here house. ‘We just have to suck it up, no matter how hard it is.’

‘You seem to having it a little easier sucking it up.’ Liam sat next to her at the table and took his tooth pick out of his mouth.

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’

‘I saw you two holding hands in the hospital the last week. It’s bad enough that I have him reminding me of what you two did for the next eighteen years, you don’t have to broadcast it.’

Bianca looked shocked. ‘I wasn’t trying to. Liam, we were just caught in the moment. It was mind blowing seeing our baby for the first time, nothing else.’

‘I know that, but think of how many more moments like that there are going to be in that baby’s life. Who’re you going to turn to, your boyfriend or the father of your child? I understand you meant nothing by the gesture but you and Heath are always going to have that connection of being co-parents and there are going to be times when you’ll turn to him instead of me, whether you like to admit it or not. And there’s nothing I can do about it.’

‘Who says I don’t have that same connection with you. You’re as much a parent in this as I am. You said you wanted to be a part of this.’

‘It’s different now, I still want to do this with you but it won’t be the same. I’ll just be the step-father. It was completely natural for you to hold his hand the other day. When it comes to your son, Bianca, you’ll always have that bond with Heath. And I just have to deal with that.’

Bianca shook her head. ‘I don’t believe that for a second. And neither should you. There’ is nothing I won’t turn to you for. You always come first, Liam, you have to know that.’

Liam felt his girlfriend’s hand on his and pulled away. ‘I was in that ultrasound room too, Bee. And it wasn’t me you turned to.’

FIFTEEN

‘Oh my god, where the hell have you been?’ Bianca walked into the house past Charlie who was still in her sweats. She had been MIA for the last two weeks and the blonde woman was beginning to get worried about her. ‘Why do you keep cancelling on me?’

Charlie gestured to her now very large belly. ‘I’m showing.’ She whispered softly.

‘That was always going to happen. Very few women go through pregnancy and not show. You know that. It doesn’t mean you have to hide out like a hermit.’

The girls went into the living area. ‘I can’t go out like this. I’m scared about so many things.’

Bianca put her hand on her shoulder. ‘That doesn’t mean you have to hide. You’re so strong; Charlie, stronger than you think and it would be a shame to let this get you down.’

Charlie wiped a tear from her cheek. ‘I don’t think I am strong though. I’m having Brax’ baby and I’m terrified.’

‘You won’t know if you try. You know why I came over today?’ Charlie shook her head. ‘Because Ruby’s worried about you. She says you haven’t been out of your room in over a week. I’m here for you. So is Ruby, Leah, Brax and everyone else who loves you, we’re ready to support you no matter what. You and that little baby inside you.’

‘You are?’

‘Yeah, we are. Now come on, if you want to stay at home, be my guest but at least get out of those daggy sweats. It’s very unbecoming.’ Charlie smiled briefly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Colleen Smart looked back nervously and paused for a minute, almost as if she was contemplating. Looking back and forth from the kitchen to Bianca for a second she hesitantly moved towards her. ‘Alright, what would you like?’

Bianca ordered and smiled amusedly. ‘Is there something bothering you Colleen? You look a little fazed.’

‘No, I’m fine, thank you very much. Nothing for you to concern yourself with.’ She haughtily walked away to the kitchen.

While Bianca rolled her eyes at the old woman’s strange behaviour, Heath walked in and noticing her, he smiled briefly in greeting before taking a seat next to her. ‘This seat taken?’

‘It is now.’ Bianca was used to the idea of Heath being in her life, but socialising with each other was still relatively unknown territory for them. She was prepared to be civil but she didn’t see them ever being friends. They were just from two completely different worlds.

‘So what was that with Smarty pants?’ Heath gestured to Colleen who kept covertly glancing at them from the counter. ‘Why were you rolling your eyes at her?’

‘I don’t think Colleen approves of the baby. I guess she’s the old fashioned type.’

Heath scoffed. ‘That’d be right. How’re you feeling?’

‘Fine, why wouldn’t I be?’ Bianca was surprised at the question. The last few weeks had revealed much of the young man’s caring nature but it still startled her when he showed this side to him.

‘Just making sure.’ He seemed embarrassed as he said the words.

Meanwhile, the Colleen was buzzing with information. ‘It’s a real wonder what the youth had come to these days.’ Colleen tried to whisper to Leah but her voice was too incapable of withstanding silence and it came out louder than she intended. ‘In my day, having a baby used to be a sacred affair between man and wife. Now, every one’s out getting those awful STDs and having babies like it’s a trend, it’s disgraceful if you ask me.’

Leah rolled her eyes. ‘Colleen, it’s none of your business what other people do with their lives. If Bianca wants to have a baby then let her be. Stop acting like you’re still in the fifties.’

‘Fifties? How old do you suppose I am?’ Colleen clutched where her heart should be in distress. ‘It’s a shame those Braxton boys can’t control themselves. Taking advantage of our innocent flowers like that. I’ll tell you though, that family must be incredibly fertile. Both brothers expecting children at the same time.’

‘Hang on; did Brax get someone pregnant too?’ Leah stopped working in confusion and turned to face her.

Colleen put her hands on her gasping mouth shocked that she had revealed such a big secret. ‘Goodness me, I’ve said too much already. Sergeant Buckton wouldn’t want her business known. I swore myself to secrecy.’

‘Wait, Charlie?’ Leah was now engrossed in this new piece of gossip.

Colleen gasped as she realised she had revealed even more and leant in closer, completely unaware of the people in proximity. ‘You didn’t hear it from me, but I was over at your house earlier to send my wishes to the ill Sergeant when I overheard Bianca and Sergeant Buckton sharing intimacies. No doubt about it, the young officer’s with child and with Darryl Braxton’s too.’

The guy at the counter nearly choked on his own saliva at the words. As the two women looked towards the noise, they realised that it was a river boy and concern swept over their faces as the gang member stormed out in a huff. The secret was well and truly out and it was not going to end well.

SIXTEEN

‘Are you going to be okay?’ Bianca stood next to the hospital bed as Charlie lay staring blankly at the wall with tears in her eyes. Her face was bruised and her body battered and stitched; the distraught girl was a mess.

The nurse finished her check up and left the hospital room, leaving the women to it. Bianca sat on the bed and her friend welcomed the comfort as she leant into her best friend’s arms. ‘Honey, I know it feels like the end of the world but it’s going to be just fine. You’ll see.’ She stroked her hair and tried to sooth her.

‘No, it’s not.’ The words were barely a whisper.

Bianca sighed; she had been unresponsive for the last three days since she had found her broken on the floor in her house. Kicked repeatedly in the stomach by the angry river boy with a taste for vengeance, it was a miracle that the baby survived had the trauma, especially at 22 weeks.

‘I saw your baby girl today in the NICU. She got out of surgery about half an hour ago and Sid says she was very strong and brave through it. Brax is sitting by the incubator now. She’s so beautiful, you know. If she was strong enough to be held I think she’d fit in perfectly into Brax’ palm, she’s that small.’

Charlie had tears in her eyes. After the emergency C-section she had felt empty and couldn’t believe how she had ever thought she could handle giving up her baby. Her little girl had been in and out of surgery ever since she was born and all Charlie wanted to do was be there for her. ‘I miss her.’ She stroked Bianca’s belly in envy.

Bianca felt helpless. ‘I took a picture for you on my phone. I know it’s not the same thing as being there in person but it’s something. Do you want to see?’

Charlie nodded sadly and Bianca took out her phone. The new mother was too weak and sore to get out of bed after her C-section and attack and the baby was too weak to leave the ICU; the separation was unbearable.

The phone screen showed a little girl in an incubator, connected by wires to various machines which were helping keep her alive. Bianca had been right. She was beautiful. Charlie touched the screen softly, madly in love with the little person captured within it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Heath watched as Brax sat next to the incubator nervously fidgeting with his fingers. The younger Braxton couldn’t believe one of his own could be so cruel to hurt an unborn child like that. Noticing the anguish on his brother’s face, he realised that he really loved Buckton and their baby.

The river boys had been everything to Heath for as long as he could remember and he couldn’t imagine a life without his mates but it worried him how easily people could turn on their mates. Brax had walked away from the boys and tipped off the cops about the drugs, Gordo had ratted out Heath for an easier jail sentence and now Stu had assaulted his niece and her mother.

‘Hey, have you said met your niece yet?’ Heath looked around to see Bianca smiling.

He smiled back. ‘Not yet. I don’t want to interrupt Brax. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this bad off before. He’s a mess.’ The two of them watched as Brax put his hand into the incubator and stroked his daughter’s arm as she lay attached to the ventilator.

‘No child should have to go through that.’

‘What’s wrong with her?’

‘Heart problems, brain bleed, breathing difficulties, the list goes on. They’re not sure if she’ll make it. She’s still got more surgery tomorrow. Charlie’s a mess.’

Heath couldn’t help but feel guilty for giving her a hard time. This whole ordeal had been a huge wake up call. Looking at Brax with his daughter and looking at Bianca, he realised that Brax had been right in walking away. Now it was his turn to grow up and get out of the gang. For the sake of his son if nothing else, he had to start assuming responsibility. There was no way he was putting his family in danger.

Later that night, Bianca went home and curled up on the lounge. It had been a long day at the hospital and she felt helpless about her friend who seemed lost and detached. The poor woman had finally realised she wanted to be a mother only to have to fear the loss of her child. ‘You right there, babe?’

Bianca looked up as Liam sat next to her and wrapped his arms around her. ‘I’m worried about Charlie.’

Liam stroked her belly fondly. ‘She’s strong, she’ll get through it.’

‘I hope so.’ Bianca rested her heavy head on his lap, glad to have his company. He had moved in a few days ago and the last few days had been blissful. ‘I don’t ever want us to go through what Brax and Charlie are going through.’

‘We won’t.’ Liam reassured her. ‘It’s a little out of the blue though, isn’t it? I mean, no one even knew they were going out let alone six months pregnant with a baby.'

‘Actually I was sworn to secrecy. I’ve known for a while. I guess the cat’s out of the bag now.’

‘If Colleen knows, there’s not really a choice is there?’

Bianca shook her head. ‘I saw Ruby this morning at the hospital; she seemed so confused and upset. Poor girl didn’t know her mum was pregnant until the baby popped out and she got beaten up. I think she’s having a harder time dealing with this than even Charlie or Brax.’

‘I can’t imagine how excluded she’s feeling. If my family kept something that big from me, I’d be distraught.’

‘Put Charlie’s fragile health into the equation and it makes for one overwhelmed daughter.’

‘I heard Heath was there today.’ Liam changed the subject.

Bianca sat up and looked at him. ‘Yeah, he was there for Brax. He seemed surprisingly bothered by it for someone who barely even cares about Charlie. He keeps surprising me lately; a few months ago I would’ve laughed if you put Heath and caring in the same sentence.’

‘Yeah, he seems to be stepping up, doesn’t he?’ Liam frowned as his girlfriend spoke highly of her baby’s father. He knew there was nothing to worry about but it still made him jealous thinking about Bianca’s slowly blossoming friendship with his former dealer.

SEVENTEEN

‘Are you excited to meet your daughter today?’ Bianca watched as the nurse helped the struggling Charlie into a wheelchair. The last two weeks had been gruelling for her poor friend. Not only did she miss her daughter, she was still in pain from her attack and to make matters worse, the distraught woman had found out that the trauma to her belly had left her unable to conceive again.

Charlie shook as she sat in the chair; her strength still weak and her body still recovering. She was very impatient. ‘Can we go now?’

As Bianca wheeled her friend into the ICU, she noticed Charlie’s hands fidgeting with the nerves. Entering the darkened room, they found Brax holding a little babe’s hands through the hole in the incubator.

The little girl was the size of her father’s palm and looked peaceful. Sid had called her slow recovery a miracle but she still wasn’t out of harm’s way yet. Only time would tell. Charlie wheeled her wheelchair closer and Brax kissed his girlfriend on her bruised forehead and moved out of the way, revealing a beautiful young thing.

‘Bianca, can you see her?’ Tears filled the mother’s eyes as she first laid her eyes on her daughter.

Bianca smiled. ‘Yeah, I see her.’

Charlie was completely mesmerized as she stroked her little girl’s hand softly for the first time since she was born two and a half weeks ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Liam walked along the rocky shore line and sighed. It was nearly time for Bianca’s next ultrasound appointment. As excited as he was to see the little boy again, he couldn’t help but feel disappointed as it would mean having to deal with Heath Braxton again. Even though his girlfriend was starting to warm up to him, Liam just couldn’t bring himself to it. They were just too different.

As he strolled, he was surprised when a chirpy voice called from behind. Bianca leant against his arm and the two walked along together. ‘Are you okay?’

Bianca shrugged. ‘Spending all this time with Charlie is dampening my mood. I love her but it’s just so sad watching her like this.’

‘Well, you know they caught the river boy who did this to her. He’s long in jail so that ought to ease her mind a little.’

‘Yeah maybe.’ Bianca wasn’t convinced. ‘Charlie finally met her daughter today and named her. Aria Bianca Braxton.’

Liam smiled. ‘She gave her your name.’

‘Yeah. I didn’t think she thought so much of me. Have you thought about names for our baby?’

‘Not really. We’ve still got time.’

Bianca smiled. ‘Heath and I were talking about it at the hospital when he went to visit Aria. He’s a lot more like you than you think you know. He may be a big surf bum but he’s rock star at heart.’

They stopped as the couple saw Heath come out of the water with his surfboard. ‘Hey.’

‘Hey, we were just talking about you.’

Heath smirked and joked around. ‘I know princess. It’s hard not to, isn’t it?’

Bianca rolled her eyes. ‘I was just telling Liam about your big secret.’

‘What, that I’m awesome? Because I’m pretty sure everyone knew that already.’ He grinned and noticed that Liam looked less than pleased at his company.

‘I was just about to tell Liam about your interesting name choices for the baby.’

Liam pulled her closer to him. ‘How interesting are we talking?’

‘Kurt, Krist, it turns out you and Heath have a few things in common.’

‘You’re into nineties rock?’ Liam looked surprised as he recognised the names of his favourite band’s members. He had thought a common interest with Heath Braxton would be practically impossible.

‘Yeah, what’s it to you?’

Liam tried to be nonchalant but he was impressed. ‘Nothing.’

Heath made an inaudible cheeky comment and ran back out into the water to go for another surf and Bianca put her arms around her boyfriend’s neck. ‘Now do you believe he’s not the enemy?’

‘It’s not going to take the same interest in music for me to like him.’

Bianca kissed him softly. ‘But you have to admit, it’s a start.’

Liam tried to appear cool as they walked on but Bianca saw right through him. She had known that the two men in her life just needed to find common ground, if not about the baby then about something else. She smiled to herself at her breakthrough. Baby steps, she thought to herself. In time, maybe, just maybe, they’ll all be able to get along.

EIGHTEEN

‘Isn’t Ruby moving in here with you?’ Bianca helped Charlie into Roo’s old house while Brax got the bags out of the car.

Charlie winced from the pain of the movement and sat on the couch. ‘She’s staying on with Leah. Poor thing’s still struggling to come to terms with having a sister. You can imagine how she’s feeling right now.’

‘Yeah. April mentioned Ruby was being a little distanced lately at school too.’

Darcy came running out of her room, hearing that there was company. ‘Hi Charlie. Are you feeling better now? Where’s Aria?’

‘Yeah.’ Charlie smiled. ‘Aria’s still a little sick, sweetie. She has to stay at the hospital a little longer.’

Brax came out of their room. ‘Ready to go, Darcy?’

‘I have to go to school now.’ Darcy kissed her new housemate on the forehead. ‘I’ll see you when I get home.’

Bianca smiled as Darcy and Brax left the house. ‘At least you’ll have her to cheer you up.’ She stood up and smoothed down her dress. ‘Speaking of school though, I should head out too. I don’t want to be late for work.’

Charlie’s face dropped as fear swept over her. ‘Is Casey here?’

‘I’d say he’d be at school too. He’s got exams on, remember.’ Bianca saw her friend look nervously around the empty house. ‘Are you alright, Charlie?’

Tears fell onto her cheeks as she shook her head. ‘I’m scared to be alone. The last time I was alone, it didn’t work out very well.’ She gestured to her slowly healing bruises.

‘The guy who did this, he’s in jail. He can’t hurt you anymore, you know that?’

‘I’m still scared.’ Charlie leant into Bianca as she cried.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

April walked into her house with Lily and noticed Bianca had beaten her home. ‘Hey, why were you late to school today. You were supposed to supervise the language exam and Mrs Palmer had to get a substitute.’

‘Charlie needed me to stay with her while Brax was out.’ Bianca looked up from her magazine as Lily ran upstairs. ‘How was your exams?’

‘I think I did okay.’ April headed into the kitchen. ‘I’m more worried about Ruby though. She turned up late and didn’t get much done. I worry about her.’

‘Yeah.’ Bianca got up from the couch and started walking upstairs. ‘I should go get ready for the doctor’s appointment. See my little babe again.’

When Liam and Bianca got to the hospital, they found Heath already there. They exchanged greetings and went into the room together. ‘Alright, shall we get started?’ The doctor got the gel and smeared it over Bianca’s prominent belly.

Heath moved closer to Bianca but noticed Liam and offered for him to take his place by her bedside instead. After all, it was more Liam’s place to hold her hand than his.

Liam looked surprised when Heath stepped back but eagerly took his girlfriend’s hand. He respected the fact that the river boy had carved out boundaries when it came to Bianca. As Heath stood behind Heath, the expecting family of three heard the thumping of their son’s heartbeat.

‘There’s a sound I could listen to forever.’ Bianca beamed clutching tightly on Liam’s hand.

‘There he is. Baby boy-’ The doctor was about to say his last name but stopped when he realised that he didn’t know it, ensuring an awkward silence for all parties.

The rest of the appointment went fairly quietly. There was no anomalies with the baby. He was as healthy as could be but the silence was deafening. Liam and Bianca sat in the car on the way home and the music teacher was a little discontented by the reminder of their unconventional situation.

‘So, exactly what is the baby’s last name? Braxton, Murphy or Scott?’

‘I don’t know.’

‘We need to be start figuring this stuff out. Not just the baby’s name but visiting arrangements, whether or not to have child support, or shared custody if Heath wants it. There’s a lot to decide.’

‘I haven’t thought that far ahead yet.’ Bianca looked out the car window as the sun started to set. ‘I guess we need to start dealing with this.’

NINETEEN

‘What about this one?’ Bianca held up a pink and white newborn bodysuit from the dozen shopping bags in front of her.

‘Too cute.’ Charlie and Bianca were enjoying getting the nursery ready for Aria to go home next week. They had shopped for baby necessities til they dropped and now they were unpacking their findings. ‘Too bad Aria will be swimming in half of these. She’s not your average sized baby.’

Bianca cooed at all the gorgeous baby girl clothes in envy. ‘You know I wouldn’t mind having a girl just so I could dress her up in all these adorable clothes. I’m glad you decided to keep her.’ She held up a white frilly sock. ‘I mean, look how amazingly cute this is.’

‘Definitely a keeper. You know I’m a little less anxious today than I’ve been lately. I guess there really is such a thing as retail therapy after all. I’ve hardly thought about the attack all day.’

‘That’s great, Charlie. Just take it one day at a time. You’ll get there.’

‘I’m glad you’ve been here for me the last month. If you need anything, just let me know. I’m here for you too.’ Charlie smiled.

‘Thanks Charlie. That’s good to know.’ Bianca grabbed another shopping bag and started raiding through it.

‘You should probably buy some of these baby things for yourself. It won’t be long now before you need them.’

‘Today’s all about Aria. We’ll come back and do this later for my boy. Any excuse to do this again, right?’

‘I can’t wait. Have you thought of a name?’

Bianca pouted. ‘I’ve thought of a last name. I told the boys that he’s going to be a Scott, to be fair on both of them. It’s hard keeping them both happy when it comes to the baby. Just when it looks like Heath and Liam are about to get along something happens and they’re right back to square one.’

‘You three will figure it out.’ Charlie took a beige towel set from the shopping bag and took the tags off it. ‘Okay, that’s the last of the bags. Now, we just need somewhere to put all this stuff.’

The girls stood up and looked at the delicate white furniture, still unassembled. ‘That looks like a lot of work.’ Bianca was in a lazy mood and didn’t feel like assembling a crib. ‘You want some ice cream instead? All that shopping’s made me hungry.’

‘Yeah, me too, but this nursery needs to be ready for my baby girl in three days.’ Charlie pouted. ‘If we don’t do it now, Aria will have nowhere to sleep.’

‘Hey guys. I’ll be in my room.’ An unsuspecting Casey walked past the nursery on his way home from Dex’ house.

Charlie and Bianca smiled knowingly to each other. It was time to call in reinforcements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca sat at the breakfast table in her red silk robe the next day craving steak. All night, she had been dreaming about luscious crispy barbequed steak and hated the fact that Irene hadn’t made any for breakfast although she knew well enough that it wasn’t your typical breakfast food.

‘Morning babe.’ Liam got of the bathroom and sat next to her, pouring himself a glass of orange juice. ‘You look grumpy. You’re still tired from all that work you did on Charlie’s yesterday, huh?’

‘Yeah, it was hard work.’ And it really had been hard work. It took great skill and perseverance to eat as much ice cream as the girls’ had consumed the night before. The fact that Casey had helped with most of the real heavy lifting and assembling wasn’t really important in the grand scale of things.

‘Listen babe, I think we need to find a place of our own.’ Bianca quizzically examined her French toast disappointedly as Liam spoke, her cravings still focussed on red meat. ‘Bianca, are you listening?’

She snapped back to reality. ‘Yeah, I’m listening. You were talking about finding something?’

‘Yes. A place of our own. I mean, once the baby comes it’s going to be hectic. There are way too many people living here as it is. We need some space.’

Gypsy came downstairs and overheard the final snippets of their conversation. ‘You guys don’t have to move out, you know. Lily and I were planning on heading home sometime in the New Year anyway.’

‘What’s this about you leaving love?’ Irene poked her head out of the kitchen.

‘I miss my family. Coming back was never permanent. I just wanted to revisit my roots for a while.’

Bianca looked at Liam. ‘Well, that’s one less thing we have to worry about.’

‘You can turn our room into a nursery.’ Gypsy smiled as she popped a strawberry in her mouth. ‘I’m going to take a shower before April and Lily beat me to it. You know how teenage girls love to take their time in the bathroom.’

Liam frowned. ‘Adult women do it too. I’ve never lived with so many chicks before. I’m lucky if I barely get five minutes in that bathroom.’

Bianca took a sip of juice as Gypsy walked into the bathroom. ‘Heath called me yesterday while Charlie and I were shopping in Yabee Creek. He agreed to come over next week to sort out all this baby stuff.’

‘Lucky us.’ Liam joked.

‘Don’t be like that.’ Bianca frowned. ‘I already made him promise to behave. I expect you to do the same.’

‘Anything for you, babe.’ Liam smiled. ‘I’ll play nice, I promise. We can finally sort everything out.’

TWENTY

‘You look like you could use some help.’ Bianca stepped into the Braxton/Buckton house and took the baby bottle and dirty towel from poor Charlie who was trying to calm down her wailing daughter.

Charlie seemed happier to have her hands free to hold Aria properly. ‘You have no idea how hectic it’s been the last few days.’

‘If your house is any indication I feel for you.’ Bianca looked at the messy house with baby things strewn everywhere.

‘You think a newborn baby’s tough going, try adding an eight year old, and a teenager to the mix.’ The new mother rocked her baby in her arms, putting her to sleep. ‘I never saw myself as a mother and now I have two daughters and a foster child.’

‘Sounds like you have a lot on your plate.’

‘Luckily, I’m loving every minute of it. Even if one of my girls isn’t talking to me at the moment.’ Charlie put Aria down on the couch to change her diaper. Watching Bianca’s face as the poor pregnant woman saw the miniature discharge on the diaper, she smiled. ‘You’ll have to get used to it, Bee. No getting out of it, especially if you’re having a boy..’

Bianca cringed. ‘That’s what I have Liam and Heath for.’

‘What about when they’re not there? Come on, you can help me. Better learn sooner than later. Don’t look at me like that, come on.’

Bianca leant near the little baby girl and Charlie showed her the ropes in the art of nappy changing. Given Aria’s tender size, the diaper was way too large for her, but they managed.

‘That’s gross. Can you make me something to eat Charlie? I’m hungry.’ The girls looked up to find Darcy hovering near them with a grossed out look on her face.

Aria started crying and Bianca took her while Charlie went to fix the girl some food. Watching her in the kitchen, she noticed that she looked more tired than usual and had a worn look on her face. Luckily, the bruises and scars from her attack were just about disappeared.

‘What’re you looking at?’ Charlie smiled as she closed the fridge.

Bianca smiled as Aria cuddled into her, her deep green eyes staring intently up at her aunt. ‘I was just thinking you needed a break. You and Brax deserve it. I have baby drama to deal with Heath and Liam in the morning tomorrow but drop her off in the afternoon and she can sleep over. It’ll be good practice for when we have our little one.’

‘Thanks.’ Charlie smiled and manoeuvred a hug around the baby. ‘You’re a great friend. Brax and I could use a romantic night to ourselves. Even if we’ll probably be catching up on our sleep.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Liam wrote down the child support they had agreed to on a piece of paper. ‘I think we should get this legalised out of court. Just to make this easier.’

Heath groaned. ‘What’s with you respectable people and legal crap? It drives me crazy sometimes.’

‘Don’t judge before you try it.’ Bianca sighed as she held a sleeping Aria in her arms. Charlie and Brax had been eager and dropped her off early so they could spend the day together. ‘I’m glad you’re both playing nice.’

‘We promised we would, didn’t we? Believe it or not, even I can keep a promise.’ Heath grinned.

Liam checked the details. ‘So, Heath, when do you want him?’

‘I think it would be too much on a baby to move him around all the time.’ Bianca stood up from the table and walked over to sit on the couch, still cradling the baby. ‘Maybe when he’s older but it’s too unstable for now.’

‘I probably wouldn’t be able to manage a baby anyway. Kids were always more Brax’ area of expertise.’ Heath sipped his mug of Milo.

Bianca smiled as Aria opened her green eyes sleepily. ‘I think you would manage somehow. You don’t give yourself enough credit.’

‘What about work? We both have to go to school and it’s not like our friendly neighbourhood river boy here has a strict work schedule. You pushers work your own hours, don’t you?’ Liam joked.

Heath frowned but acted surprisingly cool. ‘I’m not dealing anymore, mate. Went into business with Brax at Angelo’s.’

‘So you still have flexible hours, right?’ Heath nodded in answer to Bianca’s question while she rolled her eyes at the boys’ banter. ‘Then you could have the baby while we’re both working at the school. You get to spend time with him and we don’t have to dish out on child care. It’s win-win.’

‘Sounds good to me.’ Heath grinned as Liam reached to pick up his phone which was ringing. While the former musician stepped into the kitchen to take the call, he turned to Bianca and gestured to Aria. ‘Got stuck babysitting did you?’

‘No. I offered. I figured Charlie and your brother needed the space. And the parenting practice is just an added bonus.’

‘She’s pretty cute. For Buckton’s kid, at least.’

‘I think she looks a bit like his uncle. She’s got your smile, don’t you think?’ She noticed Liam coming from his phone call with a glum look on his face. ‘Everything alright babe?’

Liam shook his head. ‘It’s Ash. He fell from the playground equipment in kindergarten and he’s in hospital. I think I should be there for him.’

Bianca was worried about her boyfriend’s son. ‘Yeah, go be with him. I’ll be fine here.’

‘I want to head out to the city right now.’ He kissed his girlfriend on the forehead. ‘I’ll probably stay the weekend. I’ll go pack.’ He ducked upstairs worriedly.

Heath watched the conversation. ‘I could stay and help with Aria if you like? I mean you’re not the only one who needs practice.’

‘Thanks Heath.’ Bianca smiled nervously. ‘I’d like that.’

Archived