Pregnant Proportions

Guest mizziette

TWENTY ONE

‘You need to relax Charlie.’ Bianca laughed into her phone as her concerned friend called for the sixth time that day. ‘Aria’s the same as the last time you called. The whole point of me babysitting was so you could unwind not the opposite.’

Charlie sighed as she spoke into the phone, cuddling into Brax on the couch. ‘I can’t help it. I miss her. You’re sure she’s doing okay without me?’

‘Yes. She’s been fed, burped, and Heath’s putting her to sleep on the baby rocker I bought the other day.’

‘I thought Heath would be gone by now?’

‘Liam had to go into the city urgently so Heath offered to help me. He’s actually not bad for someone who’s never held a baby before.’

Charlie panicked. ‘What do you mean he’s never held a baby before?’

‘He’s a natural with kids. Don’t worry. Your daughter’s in safe hands.’ Bianca smiled as she reassured; glad that her friend couldn’t see her charmed expression over the phone. ‘Today’s turned out great for me so far so I’d be surprised if anything went wrong.’

Charlie took a deep breath. ‘I’ve forgotten to ask you how it went with Liam and Heath haven’t I? How was it?’

‘Every one’s in one piece so that’s always a good sign. For the first time through all this mess, I actually have hope that all this might work out half decently.’

‘That’s great Bianca. I’m happy for you guys.’

‘I’m happy too.’ Bianca poured the contents of the coffee kettle into the mugs and carried tried to carry them and hold the phone to her ear with obvious difficulty and dropped one. The noise of the breaking ceramic was loud.

‘What was that? Is Aria okay?’ Charlie heard the faint crying of her daughter who had woken up from the noise. She was crying like there was no tomorrow.

‘Yeah, she’s fine.’ The frustrated blonde woman squatted down to clean up the mess, annoyed that she could barely see the spill over her belly. ‘I just dropped something. I hate squatting down. It feels like I’m squashing my poor boy.’

There was silence on the other end of the line. ‘Charlie, are you there? Charlie?’ Bianca leant her ear on her shoulder.

‘Hmmm?’ Charlie snapped back to reality. While her friend had been talking, she had had a visitor at the door, someone she hadn’t expected. It was time to get off the phone. ‘I’m sorry. Can I call you later? Ruby just walked in.’

‘Good luck.’

‘Thanks.’ The women hung up on each other and Charlie stood up from the couch. ‘Ruby, I’ve missed you.’ She reached out to hug her daughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca made a new batch of coffee and took it into the living room to find Heath with the baby in one hand and saying his goodbyes on his phone with the other. ‘If you or Buckton call again, mate, I’m disconnecting the phone, seriously. Stop stalking us, I’ll see you later.’

When he’d hung up, she sat next to him on the couch, handing him his coffee. ‘Everything alright?’

‘Yeah.’ Heath put Aria in the baby rocker gently, noticing she’d calmed down, although she was now wide awake. ‘That was just Brax checking up on us for the hundredth time. I should warn you, I think we might be getting a visit from one of them soon.’

‘I don’t think so. Ruby’s over there so that should keep them busy for a while. I think they’re just having a hard time being away from the baby again. Aria only just got home after all.’

‘Yeah, I think I’m getting the hang of this baby thing. A few hours ago, I would have run the other way at the sight of a crying girl. Now look at me.’ Heath noticed Bianca gasping and holding her large belly. ‘Are you okay?’

Bianca smiled. ‘He just kicked. Give me your hand, he’s a strong one, he is.’

Heath grinned as Bianca took his hand and held it on her belly under her hand. It amazed him that there was an actual living person inside her kicking and breathing. Looking at his pregnant friend, they couldn’t stop smiling at each other.

‘That’s really something, isn’t it?’ The proud parents didn’t break eye contact with each other. They were caught up in the beauty of the occasion and in that moment, Heath was overwhelmed with warmth. His hand still under Bianca’s on the belly, he reached out with the other hand and put a blonde strand away from her glowing face.

Inspired, he held her gaze and her face for longer than necessary. His heart beat faster and his breaths became more rapid as he began to lean closer to her.

Intuitively, Aria suddenly noticed that she wasn’t the centre of attention anymore and decided to make herself known. The smell clouded the strong smell of coffee and wisped like dirt onto Heath’s nose. ‘What the hell is that?’

The moment was gone. Bianca and Heath moved back and looked at Aria on the rocker who was grinning cheekily. ‘Looks like someone needs a diaper change.’ Bianca sighed.

‘Man, that is some nasty wind you got there little lady.’ Heath scrunched up his nose at Aria, trying to remain cool while nervously wondering about what had just occurred and his confusing feelings for the mother of his child.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey sorry its been so long since my last update. thanks for the comments. here it is:

TWENTY TWO

‘Ruby and I had a really good talk yesterday.’ Charlie took her baby back from Bianca when she walked in to return her. ‘I promised her I wouldn’t keep family secrets after the whole Grant thing and I think she just feels left out.’

‘You two sorted things out?’

‘Not completely but at least it’s a start. She’s comfortable enough to come visit so that’s good.’

Bianca sat on the couch. ‘I was going through some assessments for school and I noticed Ruby’s struggling in her studies a bit.’

‘Yeah, she mentioned she doesn’t think she did so well in the HSC exams.’ Charlie sighed and took the couch opposite her friend. ‘There’s still two more to go. I hate to think she’s struggling because of me.’

‘You can’t blame yourself Charlie.’

‘Yeah, I guess.’ She shrugged it off eager to talk about something else. ‘Enough about me. How was your first taste of parenting?’

Bianca shrugged and bit her lip, stuttering vaguely. ‘Um, you know.’

‘No, I don’t.’ Charlie looked sceptical. ‘Come on, spill, what aren’t you telling me?’

‘Well, we were having fun with Aria and everything was going so well.’

‘But…’ Her friend pressed.

‘I think Heath tried to kiss me?’ Bianca sighed. ‘Aria pulled out a massive gas bomb before he could but it was weird. I thought we were becoming really good friends and then he does this.’

‘You don’t feel the same way.’

‘No, I mean I don’t know. I love Liam. I really do. But when Heath was holding my belly last night, there was something there. It didn’t feel romantic or anything I can’t really explain it; I just felt really close to him and to the baby.’

Charlie kissed Aria’s forehead lovingly. ‘A baby’s a pretty beautiful thing. They either push you apart or bring you closer. I’m guessing the latter happened to you. You two shared a special moment with your baby.’

‘Yeah. I told him I didn’t want to go there with him before he left last night. Why ruin something that’s good as it is.’ Bianca put her hand on her belly as he kicked again. ‘I guess Liam was right about me being connected to Heath though.’

--------------------------------------------------------------

April and Ruby went back to the beach house after hanging out at the surf club all morning. ‘I can’t wait til exams are over, can you? Do you want to study after we eat?’

‘Does it matter?’ Ruby seemed distanced. ‘I’ve already failed most of them. What’s the point of studying for the rest if I’m not going to pass my HSC anyway?’

‘Don’t be like that.’ April smiled comfortingly. ‘Keep the glass half full. You might be surprised.’

Ruby muttered. ‘I think I’ve had enough surprises lately to last me a life time.’

‘April’s right, Rubes. You should at least give it a go.’ Bianca sat on the couch and turned the TV on, ready for her Saturday fix of ‘Neighbours’ reruns. As much as she hated to admit it, she was a closeted soap addict.

After a while, the girls took their chips and their chatter to April’s room leaving the pregnant woman in peace. Even though it was quiet in the house, her mind was screaming with questions after the night before and she couldn’t concentrate on the TV.

The almost kiss had snuck up sneakily, but it wasn’t like Bianca let anything happen. It wasn’t cheating if nothing happened but something might have. She knew she had to tell Liam but everything had been going so well lately and she hated to ruin it yet again.

‘Bianca, are you with us?’ The woman snapped out of her mind and back into reality to find Heath waving his hand over her face. He grinned. ‘You were in your own little world there for a second.’

‘What are you doing here?’ Bianca turned off the TV.

‘You know what I think of you, don’t you?’ She nodded resignedly and he continued. ‘And I know what you think of me too.’

‘Do you? Because I sure as hell don’t anymore. I’m so confused.’

Heath pressed. ‘What’s to be confused about? What happened yesterday was special, you can’t deny that. You felt this as much as I did.’

Bianca knew he was right and that hurt all the more. ‘Heath yesterday shouldn’t have happened. I love Liam. I always have, always will.’

‘If you-‘

‘No. I’m sorry. We were both caught up in the experience of the baby and it got a little overwhelming, that’s all. Please, just forget it happened. We’re friends, that’s it.’ Bianca stood up and walked upstairs to her room, leaving Heath very disappointed.

TWENTY THREE

‘Hey, how’s Ash doing?’ Charlie opened the door to let her friend inside, half yawning from exhaustion.

‘He’s fine. It’s just a couple of broken bones, that’s all.’ Bianca walked in and noticed that Ruby was already there rocking her little sister fondly to sleep. ‘Morning Rubes. How are you?’

‘Hush.’ Ruby put her finger to her mouth. ‘She’s trying to sleep.’

Smiling to each other, Charlie led her friend to her room and they made themselves comfortable on the bed. ‘It looks like Ruby and Aria are getting on well.’ Bianca observed.

‘They’re like Siamese sisters those two. Completely inseparable. She’s been spending a lot of time the last few days so I can’t really complain.’

‘They make a cute pair.’ She leant back on the bed and picked up a trashy romance from the bedside table to examine it. ‘I guess we can always get Ruby to babysit next time we go baby shopping.’

‘We should go soon. Next week for sure.’ Charlie changed the subject. ‘Have you talked to Heath after the other day?’

Bianca shook her head and put the book back on the table. ‘Not since Liam’s been back. It’s like he’s avoiding me. Not that I blame him. It can’t be easy seeing me with Liam. The guy’s got a big heart, it’s a shame he doesn’t show it more often.’

‘What are you going to do about Liam?’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Are you going to tell him what happened?’

‘What’s to tell? Nothing happened. Your baby made sure of that. I got to tell you though, that kid’s got some serious gas. God knows where she got that from.’

‘Hey!’ Charlie threw a pillow playfully at Bianca. ‘You better not be making fun of my girl.'

‘Wouldn’t dream of it honey.’ Bianca chirped. ‘Seriously though, I think we just need to forget all about it.’

‘Forget about what?’ Charlie grinned.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca got home later that day to find her house in disarray. There were cardboard boxes everywhere, and bags, suitcases, clothes were strewn all over their once tidy lounge room. Looking around, she was glad April wasn’t around to see the mess; the poor girl might’ve had a heart attack.

‘Oh, hey, sorry about the mess. It’s been a crazy morning around here.’ Gypsy came in from the hallway carrying a large cardboard box filled to the brim. She turned around distracted and called into the room. ‘Lily! How about a little help?’

The twelve year old grunted in defiance from inside and Bianca suppressed the urge to smile. The mother and daughter duo sure knew how to get on each other’s nerves. ‘Leaving so soon? I didn’t think you were planning to go for another few weeks.’

‘Yeah, we were going to wait until school finished but I got a job offer in Queensland which starts next week. So much for that right?’

‘I might actually miss having you around. It’s been nice having someone to mess around with these last few weeks.’

‘Don’t I know it.’ Gypsy tried to look for the couch under al her belongings so she could take a load off. ‘Too bad I’m going to miss seeing little baby Scott in there. You absolutely have to send me pictures.’

‘I Promise.’ Bianca closed her eyes, cursing herself as she felt the tears welling up. Gypsy had been a great friend the last few weeks; it would be sad to see her go. She fanned her eyes dry. ‘Sorry, my hormones are all over the place.’

‘Don’t sweat it. I’d be worried if you weren’t sad to see me go.’

The front door opened and Bianca saw Liam walk in with a dopey grin on his face. ‘Hey, where’d you get off to so early this morning? You were already gone when I woke up.’

‘Sorry about that babe. I had to be somewhere.’ Liam kissed his girlfriend. ‘Guess who’s got a gig this weekend.’

‘No way! Liam that's great!’

‘Whoop!’ Gypsy fist pumped the air excitedly. ‘Right on time too. I get to see the great Liam Murphy in action before I leave.’

‘You’re leaving?’

‘No honey, I just thought I’d pack all my things up in boxes for fun.’ Gypsy rolled her eyes and gestured at the messy lounge room. ‘I hope you’ll miss me as much your hormonal girlfriend over there.’

‘As much and more, for sure. You’ve been a breadth of fresh air, Gyps.’

Bianca smiled. ‘So where’s this gig of yours?’

It’s at Angelo’s.’ Liam still had his arms around her waist. ‘Would you believe it, it was actually Heath who offered it to me. The entertainment cancelled on him and his brother last minute or something.’

‘Heath gave you the gig?’ The surprise in her voice was unmistakable.

‘Yeah, I’m as surprised as you are. You want something to eat babe? I was just going to make myself a sandwich.’

Bianca nodded as Liam walked off into the kitchen. The last thing she’d expected was for Heath to show compassion especially after what had happened the other day. It seemed that Heath Braxton was full of surprises.

TWENTY FOUR

‘That’s it, I’m not going.’ Bianca slumped down on her bed in disgrace.

Charlie gave her a disapproving glance and grabbed her arm, coaxing her back up against her will. ‘Oh no, you don’t. You don’t get to make me get all dressed up for the first time in months to go and see your boyfriend perform only to bail on me.’

‘It’s okay for you. You’ve already got your pre-baby body back. Unlike me who looks like a pregnant beached whale. What’s the point of dressing up and going out if the only clothes that fit make me look like Norbit’s girlfriend?’

‘Now that’s just plain harsh. You’re beautiful.’

‘Yeah, Bianca. You’re hotter than hell. At least way better than me when I was pregnant with Lily.’ Gypsy piped in as she sat at the vanity applying her make up. ‘I mean you should have seen the size of my cankles. Makes your ones look bony as hell, I swear.’

‘You really think I have cankles?’ Bianca looked worried and Charlie looked accusingly at the redhead.

‘Don’t listen to Gypsy, Bee. Just get up and rumble through your closet there must be something you like.’

‘But Charlie-‘

‘No buts. Up you get. No use moping.’ The new mother was so used to motherhood that she was even beginning to foster her friends. She walked over to the closet pragmatically and took out a sheath dress holding it up. ‘What about this one?’

‘I don’t like the colour.’ Bianca whined and Charlie held up another red and green print. ‘I already feel like a watermelon as it is. I don’t need to look like one too.’

Gypsy took off her robe and slipped into her cute silvery blue dress which made her fiery hair stand out even more. ‘For god’s sake is there anything you like?’

‘What exactly are you looking for Bee?’ Charlie was just as impatient as Gypsy.

‘Something sexy. Maternity clothes aren’t sexy.’

Gypsy reached into the closet and held something up triumphantly. ‘Not even this one?’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca walked into Angelo’s later that night with her girls in tow. Liam had left early to set the stage up and she along with Charlie and Gypsy smiled as they slid into the bar table where Leah say waiting for them.

‘Look at you guys. You look great.’ Leah smiled as she sipped on her wine.

Gypsy nudged her pregnant friend. ‘See told you. Any hotter and you’ll set the place on fire.’

Bianca looked down at her eggplant halter dress and couldn’t help frowning. She was now so visibly pregnant, any idiot would have thought she was already full term. She knew she’d get even bigger but the size of her belly was now bordering almost unbearable. The only comfort was that all the discomfort ultimately ended in a baby boy.

‘Okay, no more frowning from you missy.’ Charlie interrupted Bianca from her thoughts. ‘You’re killing the mood. Smile, you look amazing.’

‘She’s right, you know.’ The girls were interrupted by a male voice behind them. Heath put down a glass of wine, two vodka sodas and a ginger ale. ‘You need to stop being so self-conscious. You look dynamite. You always do.’

‘We didn’t order any drinks.’ Bianca blushed as the father of her child gave her his drool worthy smile.

‘I know. It’s on the house.’

As Heath walked away the girls exchanged knowing looks at one other, causing Bianca to blush even more. ‘What?’ She feigned ignorance.

It was an hour later until Liam went on the stage. He strummed, hummed, and sang into the microphone with all the passion of a dreamer. The customers listened graciously as they dined. It was a resounding success.

‘He can strum a tune, can’t he?’ Heath ventured Bianca from behind the bar as she sat on a stool sipping her ginger ale.

‘I didn’t think you were a fan.’

‘I’m not. I just meant he’s better than me. I can’t even rock out on guitar hero without burning someone’s ears.’

Bianca grinned and then realised who she was talking to. ‘Why are you being so nice? Liam told me you were the one who gave him this gig.’

‘You don’t think I can be nice?’ Heath chuckled as he closed the till moving closer to Bianca.

‘No, that’s not it. I’m just surprised, that’s all. After the other day I thought that maybe you’d be more-‘

‘More what? This is what you want, isn’t it? Everyone playing nice. You want Liam, you want us to be mates, and I can live with that. You want to pretend nothing happened between us last week, that you heart doesn’t pound violently when you’re around me, that you don’t get butterflies like I do when I’m around you; I can live with that too. ’ He moved closer to her ear with each word, his voice barely a whisper. ‘I’ll do anything you want. I love you enough to make myself live with that but can you?'

As Heath Braxton brushed past her as if nothing had happened, the blonde woman found that her breathing was raspy and irregular, her heart beating a million miles a second.

TWENTY FIVE

‘Hello, Earth to Bianca? Bianca? Bianca, snap out of it.’ Bianca returned back to reality to find Charlie looking questioningly at her in the tiny shoe boutique. Ever since that night at Angelo’s, her mind had unwittingly been wandering elsewhere. ‘What’s with you today? You’re all over the place.’

‘Sorry. I was just day dreaming. What were you saying?’

‘I thought this would be perfect with your dress.’ She was right as usual. The navy silk heels in her hand were to die for. ‘You know for the year twelve formal.’

‘Right. I forgot I was chaperoning.’ Bianca was still out of it.

‘We’ve been shopping for two hours. Are you sure you’re okay? You’re usually jumping at the chance to exercise your credit card.’

‘I’m fine. Really, it’s gorgeous. I’m just a little nervous about the baby coming I guess.’ She sat down and tried on the shoes, hoping Charlie couldn’t see through her half-truth. Even though they were best friends, the words Heath had spoken to her at the restaurant seemed too personal to share with even her. Two weeks later, she could still feel the warmth of his breath against her ear if she thought about it enough, and she thought about it a lot.

Bianca payed for her new shoes and the girls headed in the direction of the main shopping strip to find a café to eat lunch. The waitress came by and took their orders. ‘How’s everything with you? It feels like I haven’t seen you in ages. How’s Aria?’

Charlie sipped her water. ‘I’m doing better than ever. Aria’s doing better too, getting stronger every day. Brax took her out today for some daddy daughter time while he’s running his errands.’

‘Sounds cute.’

‘Yeah, it is. He’s adorable with her. One might almost forget he’s a 6 foot iron man. I’m thinking about going back to work in December actually. The whole housewife thing is driving me crazy.’

‘That’s great. Who’s going to look after Aria?’

‘Ruby, I guess. After her disappointment, she could use with something to keep her busy for a few weeks.’

Bianca looked confused. ‘What are you talking about? What’s wrong with Ruby?’

‘Didn’t April tell you?’ Charlie smiled at the waitress as she placed tuna pasties next to her friend who was greedily eying her chicken frittata. ‘I thought she might have. Ruby didn’t do so well in her final exams. She passed but it’s not exactly enough to get her into university.’

‘Oh no, poor thing. What’s she going to do now?’

‘I don’t know. She’s still figuring it out. I heard April got into the medicine course she wanted to though. Congratulate her for me.’

‘She’s so excited. It’s going to be a lot of hard work though. I think she has to do seven years or something study.’

‘She’s a studious person. I’m sure she’ll cope just fine.’

----------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Surprise!’ The girls jumped up gleefully as a surprised Bianca walked in through the door. Looking sideways at Charlie, she couldn’t help but smile.

Charlie smiled back. ‘I know you told me you didn’t want any fuss but I couldn’t help myself. Do you like it?’

‘I love it. Thank you.’ Bianca looked around as Leah, Ruby, April, Colleen, Irene, Marilyn, Roo, Gina and every other female she’d gotten close to since she’d moved to Summer Bay. Tiffany blue wrapped around Charlie and Brax’ one storey house, perfectly decorated for a baby shower.

‘I know I’ve said this a million times before but congratulations on your baby love.’ Irene reached out to hug her surrogate daughter. ‘Did you girls have fun shopping all morning?’

‘Yeah, we had a great time.’ She put her shopping bags down on the floor, her smile etched onto her face. ‘Little did I know I was being distracted while you guys pulled off the shower of the year. This is amazing.’

‘You have some very thoughtful friends.’ The girls all turned around to find Joanna Scott smiling at the door holding her arms out. ‘Hello darling, aren’t you going to give your mother a hug?’

Bianca reluctantly hugged her, still in shock at her presence while the rest of the house animated themselves. ‘Mum, what’re you doing here? I thought you were still in Monaco.’

‘I was but I couldn’t leave my unwed pregnant daughter all alone could I? Some busy body- Madge Wilkins I think it was- told me your little friends were throwing you a baby shower here. Awfully casual isn’t it?’

‘This is way better than any black tie event if you ask me. I couldn’t wish for anything better. Anyway, this is Summer Bay not the Italian court.’

‘I wonder why that is.’ Joanna scoffed in disapproval. ‘You dump a perfectly good prince for a washed up rock star and I could have come to terms with that but then you cheat on the him and end up pregnant with a gang member’s child. Vittorio is a lovely man; rich, handsome, courteous, I honestly don’t understand why you would break the poor man’s heart for nothing.’

Bianca rolled her eyes in frustration. ‘Liam is not nothing mum. And if it hadn’t occurred to you Vittorio was hardly very princely and courteous when he was screwing me over. I love Liam, I love this baby and your disapproval isn’t going to change the fact that we’re a family.’

‘And how does the criminal father come into this? My grandson, is he going to be a gang member? Bianca, you used to be such a good girl before you came to this town. I worry about you.’

‘I know you do but I’m great. Moving here is the best thing that’s happened to me. I’m independent and living on my two feet for the first time in my life. Heath’s a good guy and will be an amazing father. You just have to meet him and you’ll see what I see.’

‘If he’s anything like Liam I highly doubt it but I suppose I could reserve judgement for the time being.’

‘Thanks mum. You’ll see, everything’s perfect.’ Just then there was a knock at the front door and Bianca looked at Charlie, wondering who it could be.

Charlie grinned and winked as she passed the guest of honour to open the door. ‘That’s probably the entertainment.’

‘Charlie, please tell me you didn’t get a stripper!’ Bianca’s look of concern was irrefutable.

‘Relax I was just joking. It’s most likely the pizza boy.’ She opened the door to find Brax on the other side. ‘Oh look, it is the pizza boy. Where’s our pizza, pizza boy?’

‘I’m not working today remember?’ While Charlie kissed him spontaneously, Brax looked confused and wheeling the pram into the room full of women, he felt sheepish at all the eyes on him. ‘Sorry to crash the party ladies but Aria ran out of fresh diapers. I’ll be out before you know it.’

‘You were supposed to be out the whole day but I’m glad you’re here. I missed you.’ Charlie reached both arms around her boyfriend’s muscly waist. ‘I’ll go get you those diapers.’

‘No, it’s okay, I can manage. You enjoy the shower.’ Brax halted her and gently took the sobbing Aria out of her pram, cradling her against his shoulder. ‘It’s okay princess. Let’s get you cleaned up, eh?’

The proud father softly kissed his daughter’s delicate temple before admiring her lovingly. As they walked into the hallway together, their eyes never broke eye contact. Bianca watched smiling as they strolled away. Charlie had been right that morning. Those two were absolutely adorable together.

TWENTY SIX

‘You smell funny.’ Bianca wrinkled her nose as she sat at the small table in the diner on her lunch break.

‘I’m breast feeding. Of course I smell funny. Get used to it, you’ll be smelling like rotten milk too soon enough.’ Charlie frowned and looked down at her in her police uniform. Her uniform clung to her body, especially her breasts tighter than pre-pregnancy and her bra was stuffed with Aria’s face washers to stop the leaking; being back at work was uncomfortable at best.

‘How’s it going at the station? It feels like I barely see you anymore since you went back to work.’ It was like she had read her mind.

‘I’m smelly, I miss Aria like crazy and everyone I work with thinks I’m a disgrace because I have a kid with a river boy.’

‘That doesn’t sound like fun.’

‘Oh believe me, it’s not. If I thought the reception was bad when I started seeing Angelo, it’s twice as worse now. I just wish people wouldn’t be so judgemental. Brax is a good guy, even a stubborn mule like John Palmer can see that.’

‘It’ll get easier. Your colleagues will come around.’ Bianca took a bite out of her tuna melt. ‘We all have, haven’t we?’

‘I guess.’ Charlie didn’t seem convinced. ‘Anyway, how’s things with you? How’s life with Joanna?’

Bianca groaned, remembering the last ten days with her mum. ‘That woman is more judgemental than all the people in Summer Bay put together. You and Brax got it easy if you ask me. You wouldn’t want to face my mother’s scrutiny.’

‘That bad huh?’

‘Not bad exactly. Just exhausting. Now I remember why I left home so early. She criticises every minor detail of my life and rips it to shreds. It’s frustrating sometimes. I just hope Heath can hold his own.’

‘I don’t think I’ve ever seen that guy break.’ Charlie smiled. ‘It’s the big dinner tonight isn’t it?’

Bianca sighed. ‘Yeah, Heath’s coming over to meet the my mum. Liam, mum and Heath around the same dinner table, can you imagine? If I don’t call you with the details in the morning you can assume I didn’t survive.’

‘You can handle it. Just make something that can be eaten quickly and skip dessert. Liam and Joanna already don’t like each other so sit them apart from each other and they’ll bite less.’

The phone beeped. ‘Hold on a second.’ Bianca reached into her school bag to get her phone and checked the text message. ‘Oh no.’

‘Everything okay?’

‘Things just got a whole lot more complicated.’

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bianca nervously smoothed down her dress and checked on the spaghetti for the hundredth time. Joanna was in the lounge room making forced small talk with Liam and Heath and Cheryl were still on their way. When she had received the text from Heath that afternoon telling her his mum was coming she freaked. She’d never met her son’s grandmother before and Cheryl Braxton’s disapproval of Brax and Charlie only fuelled her nerves more.

Scuffles at the door were followed by the unenthusiastic entry of the Braxtons. ‘You must be the woman who’s ruining my son’s life.’ Cheryl held out her hand gruffly.

Shaking it, Bianca sighed. So much for a good impression. As Joanna and Liam met them in the kitchen, Heath leant in and whispered in her ear. ‘Sorry about this. Mum insisted she wanted to meet you and your mum. I couldn’t get out of it.’

‘Good evening, I’m Joanna Scott. The baby’s grandmother.’ Joanna held out her hand to Cheryl.

‘Cheryl. The other grandmother. This is my son Heath.’

‘Hi.’ Heath looked almost shy and sheepish. ‘Nice to meet you.’

The group walked into the living room and sat down. As they sat, Cheryl looked around the large room, which was twice the size of hers. ‘Awful big place you got here.’

‘The house belongs to Irene, a friend of ours. We pay board.’ Liam explained. ‘It’s pretty nice.’

‘You’re the boyfriend.’ It was more of a statement. ‘I’m surprised you stayed.’

‘What can I say, I’m in love.’ Liam smiled sweetly at Bianca who gulped and looked nervously at Heath but he seemed unperturbed by the words.

Joanna on the other hand scoffed sarcastically. ‘So in love, you got high and pushed her into the bed of the likes of him.’

Cheryl glared at the expensively dressed woman. ‘The likes of him? The likes of him indeed. You think you’re better than us because you wear designer clothes and have nice cars? Is my son not good enough for you?’ She glared up at her son. ‘You going to put up with this for the rest of your life, Heath? This is what you get for not mingling with your own kind. A bunch of no good rich folk. The likes of him indeed.’

‘You can’t blame me for wanting the best for my daughter.’ Joanna retaliated. ‘An addict and a dealer are hardly the kind of male role models I want my grandson to have.’

Bianca looked nervous, not enjoying where this was going. ‘I’m going to check on dinner.’

‘Yeah, I’ll help.’ Heath followed, as eager to get away from their mothers as she was. As the two walked into the kitchen, Liam watched on from between the feuding women, his face etched with insecurity and jealousy.

‘Just imagine the Christmases and birthdays to come.’ Heath commented on the their mothers innate dislike for each other as they entered the privacy of the kitchen.

‘What are we bringing this kid into?’ Bianca tried to joke back but suddenly felt nervous, realising this was the first time they’d been alone together since his declaration of love for her. Looking up at him anxiously, his face portrayed nothing but the usual cheeky grin.

‘That’s what you get for having a kid with me.’

‘Not like we planned it.’

‘Things always work out in the end though, don’t they? No matter how they start, it always turns out for the better, even if it’s not what you expect.’ Bianca had a feeling that Heath’s word had a deeper meaning. She also wondered if Heath was going to bring up the night of Liam’s gig while they scooped up spaghetti onto plates but was only met with silence. It was better that he didn’t, she tried to convince herself.

‘Come on,’ Bianca hadn’t noticed that Heath was standing so close to her. He held up the plates to her. ‘We should get these out there before our mums start breaking out the gloves.’

TWENTY SEVEN

‘If I had known sleeping with Heath would create World War Three I would never have done it.’

‘Was it really that bad?’ Charlie and Bianca were walking along the secluded beach on the officer’s work break.

‘It was a disaster. We have Joanna and Cheryl sniping at each other, my mother taking every possible opportunity to undermine the boys and me stuck in the middle of a four way cat fight.’ Bianca moved across to avoid the tide as it came in. ‘If they weren’t criticising, they were silent and that was almost as bad.’

‘You know what, all this tension is not good for the baby. I’m taking you on a spa day. The day of the formal, it’ll be perfect.’

‘Charlie, I’m not sure-‘

‘I’m not taking no for an answer. You need to unwind and relax. What better way to do that than at the spa. There’s that one next to the Sands. I went there with Rubes last summer, it was amazing.’

‘It does sound tempting.’ Bianca agreed.

The two women walked along the coast in silence, their elbows intertwined. The sun was out and the wind was refreshing; it was a perfect summer day. ‘Rubes got an internship last week.’

‘Charlie, that’s great. Where is it?’

‘At the recording studio. She’s always been interested in music so this is perfect for her. She starts after Christmas.’

‘Good for her. So she wants to get into producing does she? She’s not repeating her HSC?’

‘No but I’m proud of her. She knows what she wants. And Casey does too. He’s getting a teaching degree.’

‘What can I say? He must’ve been inspired by his favourite teacher. Maybe moi?’

Charlie playfully punched her best friend’s arm. ‘You better tone down that ego girly. The kid’s never even been in any of your classes.’

‘I know. I have to admit though, I’m going to actually miss these kids when they go. I can’t believe I’ve almost finished my first full year of teaching.’

‘I’m proud of you.’

Bianca lead her friend up the sand dunes to the surf club. ‘I’ve been thinking lately about going to school and getting my teaching degree. This last year’s been great, I want to become a qualified teacher; fingers crossed I get in.’

‘That sounds great. I’m happy for you. You’re already an amazing teacher so they’ll have to let you in.’

‘I hope so. I can’t believe so much has changed in so little time. This time last year I was walking down the aisle, now look at me.’

‘And I had my own place with Angelo.’

‘Now you’re still in the same house, only with a different boyfriend.’

‘And a new baby. Who’d have thought.’

‘Not me.’

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later, Heath walked into the beach house and found that the house was bustling. ‘Hi love, what brings you here?’ Irene greeted him kindly. The woman had quite warmed up to the river boy in the last few months.

‘Hey Irene, you haven’t seen my wallet lying around here anywhere. It hasn’t popped up anywhere; I thought I may have left it here after dinner the other day.’

‘Yeah, love. Hold on a sec, it’s in the drawer. I’ll just go get it for you.’ Irene pulled it out of the drawer and handed it to him. ‘There you go.’

‘Thanks.’ For the first time, Heath noticed that Liam was in the room, dressed in a untucked shirt and suit jacket with black jeans. ‘Going somewhere Murphy?’

‘Bianca and I are chaperoning the school formal tonight.’ Liam answered coolly, still not trusting the guy fully. There was something under that calm cheeky veneer Heath Braxton displayed, and he had a feeling he wouldn’t like it.

‘Sounds like fun.’ The tone was sarcastic.

‘Of course it’s only for the year twelves. No gate crashers if you’re getting ideas.’

‘A bunch of teenagers and no booze. Not for me thanks. Wouldn’t want to crash anyway.’

At that moment a voice came from behind them. ‘How do I look?’

Liam stood up from the couch and turned to see April in a vintage black boat neck dress flaring out at the hip. With the chain of pearls at her neck and the French twist, she exuded Audrey Hepburn in every way.

‘You look like a movie star, love.’ Irene hugged the young girl and Liam agreed.

‘Wait till you see Bianca. She looks amazing. Especially after her morning at the spa.’

As if on cue, Bianca descended the stairs, her dress gliding at her feet with each step. The grey toned fabrics draped across her body, cupping her breasts and cascading over her belly beautifully. The sleeves were just off the shoulder and as she reached the bottom step, Liam and Heath were in awe. Bianca Scott had transformed into a Grecian goddess.

‘Wow, you’re so beautiful.’ Everyone looked at surprised at Heath who was mesmerised by the woman in front of her.

Liam scowled inwardly at the boldness; he’d wanted to comment first. After all it was his girlfriend not Heath’s. He looked back at Bianca who was blushing profusely at Heath’s uninhibited comment and reluctantly agreed. ‘Yeah, you look amazing Bianca.’

Possessively, Liam wrapped his arms around his girlfriend and kissed her gently while Heath cursed himself internally for being so bold and not controlling himself. The words had just slipped out of his mouth, he’d wanted to act cool but her beauty had gotten the better off him. As much as he hated to admit it whenever he was around her, he felt like jelly.

‘I guess I’ll see you folks at the formal then.’ Heath cleared his throat, hoping his voice didn’t reveal his feelings.

‘No gate crashers, remember?’ Liam pursed his lips, his arms still around Bianca.

‘I’m not crashing mate, I’m invited.’ He grinned and gestured to his body, which was clad in a button down shirt and loose jeans; the most amount of clothing the beach house household had ever seen him in.

‘He’s right.’ Bianca told her boyfriend, feeling uncomfortable with Heath’s piercing eyes on her. ‘Summer’s dad couldn’t come tonight so Heath’s filling in as one of the chaperone parents.’

‘Why didn’t you tell me?’ Liam was getting increasingly annoyed now but still kept his happy face glued right on.

‘I must’ve forgotten.’

‘That’s okay princess, everyone gets forgetful sometimes.’ Heath grinned. ‘I’m sure you had more important things on your mind. Save me a dance.’

As the father of her child walked away, and Liam scoffed, all Bianca wanted to do was run after Heath. But of course, she stayed exactly where she was, in the safety of familiarity.

TWENTY EIGHT

‘What are you doing here?’ Bianca hugged Charlie as she walked in through the door at Angelo’s where the year twelve formal was being held.

‘Ruby forgot her insulin so I figured I might bring it to her.’ Charlie leaned back and took in everything. ‘That dress is amazing on you. You look so beautiful.’

‘So I’ve been told.’ She smiled and thought back to Heath’s compliment earlier that evening. ‘I haven’t seen Brax around.’

‘He’s at home with Aria. I should probably give this to Rubes and get back actually.’ She looked around and couldn’t find her daughter anywhere but noticed a certain Braxton lurking around near the closed bar. ‘What’s Heath doing here?’

‘Didn’t anyone tell you? He’s chaperoning.’

‘Why on earth would Heath Braxton want to hang around at a high school dance willingly?’

‘Beats me.’ The Heath talk was making Bianca nervous. ‘So how’s things at work?’

‘I can’t lie, it’s a lot quieter without the river boys around. I almost find myself twiddling my thumbs these days.’

‘At least it’s better than being overworked.’

‘Yeah I guess. But it gives the station more time to stare me down with their disapproval. It’s everything I was afraid of would happen when I got involved with Brax. I’ve lost their trust. I’ve got everything I’ve ever wanted in my personal life and everything I don’t want in my professional one.’

Bianca sympathetically held her friend’s arm. ‘You’ll be fine. Just give it time Charlie.’

At that moment, Ruby rushed up to them, dragging a reluctant Casey with her. ‘Oh my god Charlie, what are you doing here? Isn’t this amazing?’

Charlie smiled instantly at her beautiful daughter in her short emerald green dress which matched her eyes. ‘Some one’s excited for her last high school event.’

‘Excited was half an hour ago. This is on a whole new playing field.’ Casey joked with his arms around his excitable girlfriend.

‘You forgot your insulin at my place.’ She handed Ruby the pen.

Ruby hugged her mum and kissed her on the cheek. ‘Oh thanks! What would I do without you? Oh I love this song. Thanks Charlie. Bianca, you look gorgeous. Love you!’ She grabbed Casey by the arm and led him away. ‘Come on Case, let’s dance.’

Casey looked apologetically at the women as he got dragged back into the crowd. Bianca and Charlie smiled at each other as they disappeared.

‘I guess I should get going.’ Charlie broke the silence. ‘Promise me you’ll have fun tonight okay?’

‘I promise.’

‘Good. I love you. I’ll see you later.’ They hugged farewell and Charlie left. No sooner than she was left alone, a hand rested on Bianca’s shoulder from behind her to get her attention.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Liam.’ Bianca smiled at the touch and turned around but her smile faded instantly when she realised it wasn’t her boyfriend’s face in front of her.

‘Guess again princess.’ Heath’s grin filled his perfectly proportioned face. He held her hand and beckoned her onto the dance floor. ‘Come on, dance with me.’

‘I think I’ll pass.’ She looked around the room uncomfortably.

‘I’m not taking no for an answer. It’s just one dance. One meaningless dance.’

‘Heath, I can barely see my feet let alone dance.’ Bianca tried to make excuses. ‘And anyway, I’m tired and sore.’

‘One dance won’t kill you Bianca.’ Heath slid his hands up and down her arms reassuringly. He tried to ease her reluctance. ‘You heard Buckton. You’re supposed to be having fun. You promised her.’

‘I think I’ll go find Liam.’ Bianca’s voice was breathy and withered. She could feel his breath on her face; his lips just inches from her forehead and all she could think about was how those lips would feel on hers. ‘He must be wondering where I am.’

‘I just saw him downstairs jamming with some of the kids. You know how he is with music, he’ll be preoccupied for a while.’

‘Liam’s playing?’

‘Yeah, that’s what I said.’ Heath pulled her over to the dance floor. ‘So come one. Let loose. Have some fun.’

Bianca was still a little reluctant; she knew this was a dangerous situation. Her attraction to Heath couldn’t be acted upon if they didn’t spend any time together and only seconds ago she had been determined to stick to her plan but it was proving to be very hard. In his collared shirt and dark jeans, Heath looked like something straight out of a Calvin Klein ad- sizzling hot. And sizzling hot was very hard to ignore, especially when there were piercing inviting eyes to go with it.

Hesitantly, Bianca shrugged and began to move, convinced by the warmth of those chocolate brown eyes. What was the worst that could happen. After all, it was only a dance. Together, she moved with Heath to the beat and eventually found herself to be having fun. The music was great and it was the first time in ages, she had really let loose.

Out of nowhere the music changed tune. The beat was slower and Bianca hesitantly moved backwards but was halted by Heath’s toned arm around her waist. The young woman’s breath grew heavier as she was led closer to his body. Slowly and unconsciously, she placed her hands demurely on his biceps, nervous to make any further contact.

They moved slowly to the romantic beat of ‘As time goes by’ as it played over the speakers. Alarm bells rang in Bianca’s head but she was too delirious to care. She eased into Heath’s arms and slow danced like she had no care in the world. Inside her swollen belly, the little boy fluttered in approval, realising the connection between his parents. For those small three and a half minutes, nothing else mattered.

TWENTY NINE

Bianca sat at the diner silently enjoying her friend’s company while sipping her coffee. The last couple of weeks, her mind had been full of thoughts about the formal and she couldn’t shake that fluttering feeling away.

‘Bianca, is everything okay?’ Charlie asked, breaking her day dream.

‘Why do you think that?’

‘I know when something’s bothering you. I know you, Bianca. More than most people. I want you to know you can tell me anything. I won’t judge or criticise or anything like that.’

‘No Charlie, I know that. I know you’re here for me. It’s just’ Bianca took a deep breath and put her pen down. ‘I guess it’s just complicated. I keep having all these feelings I don’t understand, and sometimes I don’t even know what I’m feeling. I didn’t want to say anything until I had it figured out in my head.’

‘That’s what friends are for.’ Charlie sipped her coffee. ‘To help you figure things out and put things together. Does this have anything to do with the baby?’

‘In a way.’ Bianca paused to gather her courage before articulating her next words. ‘Heath said he loved me.’

Charlie choked on her coffee and nearly spat it out. The warm liquid caught in her throat and Bianca put her arm tentatively around her friend. ‘Oh my gosh. Are you okay?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine.’ Charlie patted her mouth with a napkin, fully recovered. ‘Heath said what?’

‘We’ve been getting closer ever since our almost kiss a few weeks ago. I’ve always thought of him as my friend, I guess it all just kind of crept up on me. He hasn’t tried anything. We’re still very much platonic but’

‘But you can’t stop thinking about him.’

Bianca agreed. ‘And he’s being so sweet too. I get butterflies, Charlie. Actual butterflies when I’m around him. It’s like high school all over again minus the braces.’

‘You had braces?’ Charlie scrunched her face but quickly shook the thought away. ‘Never mind. Do you love him back?’

‘I have no idea. I know I love Liam and I can’t bear the thought of hurting him again but being with him is nothing like the fireworks I get around Heath.’

‘That sounds intense.’

‘It is. Charlie I don’t know what to do.’

‘I think only you can decide that. But I’m here for you no matter what happens.’

‘Thanks. That means a lot to me. Especially considering how you feel about Heath.’

Charlie took her friend’s hand. ‘He’s not my favourite person but I’ll admit he has some redeeming qualities under that bravado. If he’s good enough you, he’s good enough for me.’

Bianca smiled and squeezed her hand before letting go to rummage through her bag.

‘And Bianca?’

‘Yeah?’ She glanced up to look at Charlie.

‘Just keep in mind. Fireworks don’t last forever.’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘I’m home!’ April placed her beach bag down on the kitchen island and walked over to her big sister sitting dreamily on the couch. ‘Hey, what’re you thinking about?’

‘Oh just fireworks.’ Bianca smiled as her sister sat down next to her.

‘You’re already thinking about fireworks? I didn’t think you were into New Year’s celebrations.’

‘Never too late to start I guess.’ She didn’t bother mentioning her thoughts were more figurative than literal.

‘Oh that reminds me. Dex and Xave are planning a road trip to the city for New Year to watch the midnight fireworks on Sydney Harbour Bridge. Doesn’t that sound like fun?’

‘Yeah, I’m sure you’ll have a blast.’

‘It’s fireworks. It’d better be a blast.’ April looked at Bianca who seemed inattentive and lost in thought. ‘You okay?’

‘Yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.’

‘About the baby? I know I’ve said this before but I’m really excited to be an aunt. He’s going to be adorable isn’t he? And you and Liam are going to be make such adorable parents. Especially when you guys-’ April caught her chatty mouth in time before she revealed anything.

Bianca was now paying full attention. ‘Especially when we what? April, tell me.’

‘Tell you what?’

‘April. Don't mess me with me.’

‘It’s nothing. I just meant especially when the baby comes.’ She lied.

‘That’s not what you were going to say.’

April sighed in defeat. ‘Okay it’s not. But I can’t tell you. It’s a secret.’

‘We’re sisters. We don’t keep secrets.’

‘This time we do. But I promise it’s a good surprise. You’ll love it.’ Getting up, the chirpy young girl wandered off to her room merrily.

THIRTY

‘Slow dancing at a formal. Sounds like the perfect ending to a romantic comedy.’ Charlie rocked the pram back and forth from her seat at the beach bench, trying to get Aria to fall back asleep.

Bianca stroked her seven month gone belly as she finished telling her best friend about everything that’s been going on with Heath. ‘Only in romantic comedies, the girl doesn’t go home with another man at the end of the night.’

‘That’s true. I have to admit though, that Heath Braxton is one smooth talker. I never would have thought he could be so romantic and subtle. Usually he’s so abrupt about everything.’

‘He sure is full of surprises.’ Bianca agreed.

‘So you haven’t seen him at all since the formal?’

‘Not a peep. That’s how we arranged it anyway. I have a check-up in a couple of weeks so he’ll probably be there for that.’

‘That’s right.’ Charlie picked up Aria and cradled her as the baby sobbed. ‘How far along are you now? He’s getting so big isn’t he?’

‘Seven months last Saturday on Christmas. Not long to go now.’

‘Nervous?’

‘Terrified is more like it.’

‘I’m sure you’ll be just fine.’ Charlie lifted Aria up and kissed her on the cheek. ‘Isn’t that right, baby girl? Don’t you think your cousin’s one lucky guy?’

Aria giggled in agreement as her mum kissed her silly and Bianca looked on in wonder. ‘Luckier than most.’

‘Considering his Aunt Charlie is going to be spoiling him silly, he definitely is.’

Aria gurgled in protest and Charlie cuddled her tightly. ‘Don’t worry my little angel. I’ll spoil you too.’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was New Year’s Eve and April and her friends had left for the city to watch the fireworks. With her gone and Irene visiting Robbie and Tasha in New York for the holidays, the house was empty except for Liam and Bianca. Liam had mentioned a romantic New Year surprise and it was amazing. Candles lit up the living room and the dinner was incredible; sitting on the couch in each other’s arms amidst the candlelight was truly romantic.

‘Do you want to watch the fireworks on TV? It’s almost midnight.’ Bianca leant into Liam’s chest as he held her.

Liam checked the wall clock nervously, realising it was almost time. ‘No, let’s just enjoy the peace and quiet. Forget there’s an outside world.’

‘Sounds perfect.’ She yawned against his chest.

‘I got you something for New Year. Something special.’ He whispered in her ear and she looked up into his eyes.

‘You didn’t have to do that.’

‘Yes I did. You mean the world to me babe and I want you to know how much you mean to me.’

‘I do know. More than anything.’ Outside their cocooned existence, the faint yell of the neighbour’s party could be heard as they began the countdown to the New Year.

10… 9… 8…

Liam cupped Bianca’s hand in both of his and looked intently into her eyes. ‘I love you Bianca, there’s nobody else I’d rather be with.’ 7… 6... ‘I know we’ve haven’t known each other for very long and we’ve had our downs but-‘

‘But?’ 5… 4…

‘But I can’t imagine my life without you.’ Liam took a deep breath trying to gather the courage to continue. 3… 2… 1… Out of his jacket pocket, he retrieved a tiny blue ring box, and Bianca gasped in shock as he opened it revealing an ornate diamond engagement ring.

The barely audible world outside erupted in cheer as the clock struck midnight but the residents of the beach house were frozen in their own moment.

‘Bianca Scott, will you marry me?’

Archived